Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: The Other Side

Clarke never faces her consequences, hope she and Jaha get put out.  I'm all for Octavia banishing them, she should have done it when she said Bellamy gets a bed. 

Jasper. :(  Sad to see another main regular go. 

• Love 2

Bye Jasper!  Miss you like a front tooth!

Now, if I can only get Jaha to follow Jasper to that great spaceship in the sky, everything will be marvelous.  He's the worst.

OCTAVIA FTW!!!!  Handling business like a BOSS.  "There are a hundred beds.  Bellamy gets one.  The rest is up to you.  You have twelve hours to decide."  So. bad. ASS.

I hope Monty and (especially) Raven can figure out a way to get to the bunker in twelve hours.  I'm sure they will, but still.

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh how I loathed this, let me count the ways. I feel like this was a Season 3 redux with me yelling "No, they wouldn't do that", "No they really wouldn't do that" to the screen.

The idea that Clarke wouldn't throw open the hatch the minute she found out that Octavia won? That pretty well destroyed whatever capacity for suspension of disbelief I had left. It was one thing when she had no way of knowing what was happening above ground. But once she did? Bullshit! She and Bellamy would have been InstaRebels against Jaha.

After an entire episode of Bellamy trying to open the bunker and Clarke trying to stop him, Jaha looks accusingly at Clarke and says, "This is what you wanted!". And I'm like, yeah, yep. Literally what she wanted. So why did we watch an episode of her running around trying to stop it? It makes no fucking sense.

Once again, I just think this was a contrived way to pit Clarke and Bellamy against each other in a way that reversed their conflict last season.

Jasper's death cult continues to be the most banal discussion of nihilism ever.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 4

For jaha its always been about the survival of his people and screw everyone else if they threaten that goal in any way... I was kinda upset that the show kinda positioned Clarke as just kinda falling in line behind Jaha... Shes known what shes been doing always.... But I guess they needed somebody to be the bad guy... Again Abby does something potentially dangerous to the group for selfish personal attachments... She woulda been fine letting everyone who wasn't in the bunker die if Kane and maybe Octavia were in there already... So happy Jasper "Jim" Jones is gone tho realistically nihilistic he was a drag to watch. 

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I hope Monty and (especially) Raven can figure out a way to get to the bunker in twelve hours.  I'm sure they will, but still.

I hope so too. Although it would suck for Monty if Harper doesn't make the cut after all the effort he spent trying to get her to come with him to the bunker. Does she have any useful skills that would make her likely to be chosen as one of the 100 (or 98 since Octavia already chose Bellamy and herself)?

Edited by paulvdb
  • Love 2

I don't think the 'lottery' idea is going to come to fruition. Jaha & Co will do something very aggressive to stop the grounders coming in.  

A lottery has always been a stupid idea, especially now when 90% of the other beds are taken by people who are basically techno-savages.  You can't rely on the luck of the draw that you 'might' get people who know how to work the water filtration, the power plant or even basic doctoring.  Fine share the bunker, its good for the DNA diversity anyway, but you better make sure that every single one of the 100 from Skycrew are qualified to keep the bunker and the people inside it healthy and running smoothly or everyone is screwed. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Raven lives! I love that she saved herself and I love that her subconscious (via Sinclair) knows exactly how awesome she is. That said I'll miss Becca/ALIE, I think the   actress worked really well with Lindsay Morgan.

Also, I'm a little confused, is there any particular reason why Raven can't stay in  Becca's lab for the apocalypse? I mean other than the face that she'd be alone for 5 years, an underground super lab seems like it would be protected against radiation. In fact they could send a few other people over there and keep more than 1200 people alive.

Jasper died! Shame it was about a season and a half too late. I might have felt bad around season 3 but they dragged it on so much I can't even care. 

Im glad Harper didn't take the juice, for Montys sake if nothing else. Poor boy is having quite the week. He needs something to go right for him. 

Oh Clarke, I don't even know where to begin. Jaha is a terrible influence on her. She's been making even worse decisions than usual lately. 

A lottery has always been a stupid idea, especially now when 90% of the other beds are taken by people who are basically techno-savages.  You can't rely on the luck of the draw that you 'might' get people who know how to work the water filtration, the power plant or even basic doctoring.  Fine share the bunker, its good for the DNA diversity anyway, but you better make sure that every single one of the 100 from Skycrew are qualified to keep the bunker and the people inside it healthy and running smoothly or everyone is screwed

This. A lottery was a terrible idea when they suggested it earlier in the season to save 400 people it's still a terrible idea now. If they don't save people who can keep the place running they won't last a year let alone five. At most they could give up half their places to a skaikru lottery but more than that and they're asking for trouble. 

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 3

My favorite part of the episode was Raven, knowing that she'd need to have quick access to a defibrillator, set her portable defibrillator on the other side of the room so she'd have to dramatically drag herself across the lab for a last minute save. 

That's a lie. My favorite part was Jasper dying. God he's been insufferable these last few seasons.

• Love 15

Color me surprised that Jasper died;  I was certain that in some twist Monty would die and in his dying breath would order Jasper to live, and then h'd live with the guilt forever (and go for the redemption arc).  Glad Monty is survived, though.

Is Raven's lab fireproof?  Maybe Monty and she (and whomever else) can go there to ride out the fire.

Bellamy was pretty awesome this episode, and so was Octavia.

Jaha seems to have turned into a dictator.  I'm sorry the character didn't get to go out a hero at the end of season one.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

(or 98 since Octavia already chose Bellamy and herself)?

I don't think Octavia included herself.

10 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

For jaha its always been about the survival of his people and screw everyone else if they threaten that goal in any way... I was kinda upset that the show kinda positioned Clarke as just kinda falling in line behind Jaha... Shes known what shes been doing always.... But I guess they needed somebody to be the bad guy...

I'd say Jaha wants to save HIS people, while Clarke wants to save THE people.

Jaha can go fry himself now. Please don't let him be part of the 100.

• Love 2

Anyone who's read my last few comments on this board knows I don't like Clarke, so yeah I'm biased and won't pretend otherwise.

If there's one thing I don't get, it's Clarke obsession with saving her people - and yes, that's what she was trying to do this episode, not saving humanity, but saving her own which was made clear when she still refused to open the door to the bunker after they learned that Octavia won the conclave and united everyone. This isn't something that's unique to Clarke alone as most characters share this trait, but no other character is defined by it the way she is. Every other character has had personal arcs, relationships outside the boundaries of professionalism and subplots that don't necessarily factor into the larger storyline.

Bellamy has his relationships with Octavia and Kane, his influence on the delinquents, his two redemption arcs, his past abuse manifesting itself in form of self-loathing etc.

Raven has her disability, her relationships with Abby and Sinclair (and now Murphy), founding the will to live.

Monty has/had his mom, Jasper, Harper and Bellamy, coming into his own, stepping out of Jasper's shadow.

You get the point. But then there's Clarke who has no other arc but "doing what she needs to for her own people". Her PTSD-arc lasted less than an episode before she decided to stay in Polis for "her people". She got over Finn's death because the focus was Mt. Weather. She has backstabbed everyone possible this season for the Arkadians. Every character interaction she has is related to the "mission". She never even talks to her own mother about anything personal. Even her romantic relationships revolve around her and her SO talking about politics or war. Lexa literally called her out on never talking about anything else with her after they got together. Some people want her with Bellamy, but what to these two even talk about aside from impending doom and how miserable they are? She has the same arc every season without any growth or change, for the better or worse. She never just chills, never talks about anything but the bigger picture, doesn't hang out with anyone, has no personal desires of her own.

I could write a whole essay about who frickin Murphy is as a person, but I couldn't string two sentences together about Clarke beyond "muh people". It's not even that she cares about individuals since she pretty much left Octavia and Kane for dead, twice, excluded Monty and Harper from the list and doesn't interact with anyone on a personal level. I don't really know anything about her as a person and I'm struggling to understand why she's so invested in saving her own people to the point that there's nothing else to her character. You could argue that she's so broken it's all she has going for her, but she's been like this since the pilot when her mom spelled out her arc for us. Even Chancellor Kane has other things going on. Clarke doesn't feel like a person; she's just a walking talking trope who helps drive the plot with her schemes.

• Love 12

They really are just spinning wheels to get to the end of the season... Conclave for the bunker!! No we stole the bunker! But we opened the bunker! Back to last week's plan...

I agree with everyone else above, Jaha has really become insufferable... I mean, he always kinda was, but then I was starting to not dislike him so much when his crazy theory panned out and the bunker existed... And I get wanting to save all of skaikru... but of course the bunker holds 1200 (though, weren't they the 13th clan? Or did that count the now long gone flokru?) have to get us back to 100 for the title, you know.

I do agree that a straight lottery won't work- they need the brains to keep things running, though I would assume the other clans used some intelligent thought to determine their survivors, even if it was just the young, healthy, strong for breeding/survival purposes. Mixing with 1200 is much better than the 400 people from the ark who have already been isolated with only each other for the last how many years.

I'm so glad Jasper is finally dead.. and I feel kind of bad saying that, but man... get it over with already. I'm fine with the whole 'we don't want to live in a bunker' attitude, but I was getting tired of watching it. I'm glad Harper changed her mind. Will be interesting to see what happens when they get to the bunker. Monty might only be an apprentice, but he'd be a much better choice than stupid ass Jaha...

Isn't abby also dying of whatever is killing Raven? Though hopefully it's not killing her anymore!

2 hours ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

If there's one thing I don't get, it's Clarke obsession with saving her people - and yes, that's what she was trying to do this episode, not saving humanity, but saving her own which was made clear when she still refused to open the door to the bunker after they learned that Octavia won the conclave and united everyone.

I don't think that is accurate. The scene with Nylah wasn't there just for the lulz, it was there for Clarke to verbalize the fact that humanity needs Skycrew skills to survive.  She is still working to keep humanity, any humanity, alive. 

Before she knew about Octavia winning the fear was Luna would win and let no one in, so moving the Sky people in made total sense, Octavia was a massive long shot, that is repeatedly driven home in the last ep and Clarke has a bit of a 'nightbloods are awesome' blind spot. To Clarke, Octavia is as good as dead.  

Once she knows about the miracle win the problem becomes if we let them in and they kick us out who will run the bunker? She doesn't at this point know that Octavia has been keeping the Skycrew betrayal a secret, she thinks everyone locked out knows about it, that they are going to be angry and will throw Skycrew out.  We the viewer knows Octavia is working it out, Clarke doesn't. She is expecting to be met with Grounder violence, experience has shown her that to be true.

So what is to be done? The bunker is an advanced piece of technology, relying on the same skills Skycrew used in space, if it is left completely in the hands of the Grounders then what is left of humanity is completely doomed. They can't run it, they can't fix it, asking the grounder to run the bunker would be like asking a toddler to fix a a nuclear reactor.  Opening the doors in Clarkes mind basically insures that no-one survives.  Not her people, not grounders, not anyone. 

• Love 5

Here is a thought I had: after Bellamy opened the door, could Clarke not just have locked it again?

I'm glad Harper's alive, because I've grown to like her and I was bummed out that she might die. But I agree with the comments above that, the way this is going, she's probably still not on the list of people to save, so that will be awkward. IIRC, she was left off Clarke's original list because she has a genetic disease or something?

Clarke's a night blood now, even though the story's been contrived to keep her out of the rain since she got the treatment. My guess is that she doesn't stay in the bunker, but still survives because the treatment works.

15 hours ago, dippydee said:

Also, I'm a little confused, is there any particular reason why Raven can't stay in  Becca's lab for the apocalypse? I mean other than the face that she'd be alone for 5 years, an underground super lab seems like it would be protected against radiation. In fact they could send a few other people over there and keep more than 1200 people alive.

I had the same thought, but I think they slipped a conversation into one of the earlier episodes where Murphy said there wasn't enough food for people to stay in the lab.

• Love 2

I guess I'm the only one who loved Jasper arc this season.

The whole nihilism, refusing to live anymore, may have been simplistic in some ways, but I really found that the actor's portrayal, some lines and most importantly some visuals (these skinny, desperate teens, with emptyness in their eyes, howling their abandonment at the red moon... yeah, I found it compelling myself). 

I'm gonna miss you Jasper ! 

• Love 6

Bye Jasper! How many of the original 100 are still alive now, now that Jasper "killed" some of them.

Raven's dropping from the tank (that would hurt) then crawling to get the defibrillator, was wtf, drama for a tv show.  At least she's okay now!!

4 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Bye Jasper! How many of the original 100 are still alive now, now that Jasper "killed" some of them.

Raven's dropping from the tank (that would hurt) then crawling to get the defibrillator, was wtf, drama for a tv show.  At least she's okay now!!

After Mount Weather, they were like 40 left. I assume that now there is not a higher number than 25 from the "100", even though we can't know if any "new" Skykru character is in fact a "100" member or not, unless they specify it

(edited)

I finally got around to watching this crap. *sigh*  I miss when this show wasn't annoying af.  Speaking of annoying af, RIP Jasper. I'll miss who you used to be! 

I'm so glad the Party-Til-We-Die Crew is finally gone. "We don't want to live! We're gonna party until the end!"  *guy keels over*  "OMG HELP HIM HE'S DYING!" Morons!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 3

Ugh.  How many times this season are they going to trot out the 'making a list and checking it twice' nonsense.  FFS !

Count me in the glad that Jasper is dead group -- I wish this had happened last season.

Yeah, about Raven, how come NO ONE stayed behind to assist her.  Seriously, nobody, not even a redshirt, someone to spot her.
And the series long torture of Raven continues -- she died not once but twice this episode, and was kind of nearly frozen.

The part that I still can't get over is that everything in Rebecca's bunker hasn't aged a day in the intervening 100 years.  Nothing at all. None of the rubbers or plastics or tubing has gone hard and cracked, all the electronic displays are completely intact (no cracks or dim areas or blown pixels).

• Love 3
(edited)

META STATION: Erin & Claire's "The 100" Podcast Episode 4x11: "The Other Side"

0:00 – Hello and Welcome! Claire Is Not Here Yet, But We Have a Chash!
0:02 – The Battle Over Correct Pronunciation of “Bellarke” Begins Almost Immediately
0:13 – WHAT THE FUCK, MILLER
0:27 – The Decisions Clarke Makes Without Bellamy Are Occasionally Garbage Decisions
0:33 – We Love You, Niylah, But We Wish You Hadn't Let Clarke Off the Hook
0:39 – A Wild Claire Appears, With More Niylarke Thoughts
0:46 – JUST PICK UP THE RADIO AND TALK TO SOMEONE, CLARKE, FFS
0:51 – That Bellarke Gun Scene Was AMAZING, Until It Just...Stopped
0:53 – WHY THE HELL IS JAHA THE EMOTIONAL FOCUS OF THE FINAL SCENE
1:00 – We Feel Cheated Out of Emotional Stakes for Clarke's Choices, Dammit
1:05 – The Real Problem Is That Any Reading of Clarke Is Equally Plausible, So Who TF Knows What's Up with Her
1:12 – BELLABBY RISES
1:16 – KELLABBY RISES
1:22 – SINCLAAAIIIIRRRR
1:26 – Why Was Becca/ALIE So Obsessed with Raven Going to Space?
1:35 – Raven Returns to Her Analog Roots
1:37 – S4 Endgame Vs. Other Seasons' Endgame: We Don't Know What Precisely "Endgame" Looks Like
1:43 – We Really Need Clarke To Have Some Feelings About Jasper and Raven
1:45 – Chash Leaves Us Alone with Our Jasper Feels, and Claire and Erin Get Realer Than Ever About Depression, Mental Health and Suicide
2:20 – We Cannot Overstate How Much We Hated Watching Jasper Turn into Jim Jones
2:35 – Jasper Is the First Key Character We’ve Lost Whose Death Was Not the A-Story
2:45 – The Writer/Audience Relationship Is Complicated
2:49 – THANK YOU EDITKRU WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH

Edited by CooperTV

At long last, Raven finally dies.  OK, thankfully it was only temporary to finally get all that evil tech out of her system or whatever the hell it was, but if it anyone was going to have to briefly kill themselves, and then shock themselves back to live, it would be Raven, the one who suffers the most on this show.  But she's still alive and kicking!  Like that they brought back Sinclair to be the voice/person in her head to convince her to keep going.  Lindsay Morgan continues to be one of the best on this show.

Looking past their questionable decision to betray the rest of the clans, Clarke and Jaha deserve what they got by not keeping a more watchful eye on Abby.  Sure, Bellamy was obvious the biggest threat, but they had to have known that Abby could possibly try something with Kane also out there.  Despite their intelligence and belief that they can "make the hard choices", those two really have issues leading. Looks like Clarke is going to go along with Octavia's plan now though.  Jaha though, is definitely going to be a problem.

Speaking of problems, have a feeling this will not be the last of Echo.

Really hope Jasper is gone for good.  I was over the character last season and this entire plot just felt like an entire waste.  At least Harper wised up and didn't kill herself like the rest of the cult (that's pretty much what they became.)  Hope she and Monty get back in time (that's assuming they make the list.)

Really hope these last two episodes set things up better for next season, because this season seems to running on fumes now.

Agree with whoever said they really should have killed Jasper when his death might have made us sad. He had so far outlived his welcome that his death had absolutely no emotional impact whatsoever except relief that I wouldn't have to put up with him anymore. Now as long as they don't turn Monty into the new sad sack.

• Love 1

Jesus Christ. I wasn't sure how they'd make anyone worse than season 3 Bellamy...but my god, they keep surprising me. The fact that Clarke didn't open those doors when Octavia told them the plan at the beginning? That just made her decision much, much worse. How did they get me to feel sorry for Bellamy? Well, this show does know how to redeem characters who seem to be unredeemable. I just don't know how they'll do it with Clarke. She let Bellamy get captured and put in a cell, left Murphy to watch over him, and didn't allow the doors to be opened, even when knowing a plan. She's also sacrificing her own people and literally causing problems with Skaikru. Why she listens to Jaha is really ridiculous at this point, especially with what he did last season. I understand Clarke's dilemma, but it still doesn't make it right. She could have opened the door once she found out about what Octavia was doing. She had a chance to fix things and not listen to Jaha. Jaha's a lost cause. His death will cause me great joy, at this point. I wish he could just be tossed out of the bunker and suffer the radiation.

Speaking of death, bye Jasper! His death scene caused me great joy. He's been insufferable for two seasons now. In the first two seasons, he wasn't likable for me, but he was tolerable. So his death was a long time coming. Why we wasted so much time on him, I'll never understand. At least the actor can now move on. And I only felt a little bit for his death scene because of Monty, though Jasper's been an ass to him Maya's death, so good riddance. At least Monty and Harper are getting to the bunker. There is still hope!

Funny how they had no idea that Abby would go rogue. Like....she lost Kane, who may not have been as close as Octavia/Bellamy are, but pretty damn close all the more. How they thought that Abby would just accept Kane's death is beyond me. They're self centered pricks, I guess. 

How nice that Sinclair showed up in Raven's mind to help be her conscience. It was really sad to see her give up, so I'm glad she's fighting through it. I miss Sinclair, though. Damn show killed the wrong characters last season.

I'm going to guess that Octavia was serious when she said that she didn't consider herself Skaikru anymore. Besides Bellamy, she has no ties to those people anymore. They were willing to sacrifice her and Kane. Now that she's leader and has really done her role in saving people, she can do whatever she wants, screw Skaikru.

I am super glad Raven saved herself, and it didn't go wrong. Hopefully what she did worked. And hopefully someone can go get Raven in time to get her to the bunker. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, this show does know how to redeem characters who seem to be unredeemable. I just don't know how they'll do it with Clarke.

They will never do that because the show thinks Clarke does nothing wrong. Problem solved!