Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: This Is Us

Eddie graduates from middle school and is looking forward to starting high school with his crew. But when Jessica sets her sights on a new private school for Evan, she explores the idea of moving the family to a new upscale neighborhood, triggering more big changes for the whole family. Meanwhile, Louis gets an opportunity to expand Cattleman's Ranch with his new silent partner.

I love whenever grandma gives Eddie an assist by playing his entrance music on a boom box!

In real life, the Huang family moved to a big mansion so I guess this is going to be the way they get them there on the show. I hope that Eddie and Emery will be able to stay in the same school district with their friends. It would suck for them to have to start over as The Only Asian Kids again.

I know it was a dumb joke, but when Michael Bolton pulled that Christmas card of Kenny Rogers out of his pocket, the thought that he was so focused on getting even with Kenny Rogers that he carries that picture with him everywhere just made me laugh.

• Love 6

Did Michael Bolton really buy a stake in the restaurant?

It's kind of sad that the family might be moving... I like their interactions with their neighbours.

• Love 6

It was great to see Howard Hessman as the admission guy at St. Orlando's!  "I'll give you 5 minutes."  "I only need 4."  (Hessman was Johnny Fever on "WKRP in Cincinnati" 1978-82.)

• Love 6
13 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

It was great to see Howard Hessman as the admission guy at St. Orlando's!  "I'll give you 5 minutes."  "I only need 4."  (Hessman was Johnny Fever on "WKRP in Cincinnati" 1978-82.)

He was also the honors teacher in Head of the Class, about a group of ap students at a public NYC city school.   I thought the casting choice was brilliant and if Evan had simply said 'We live in north Orlando and my parents are both small business owners." he would have been in.   When he said 'rent' I knew!

• Love 3

I know that Marvin was trying to help, but he is going to be sad when he realizes that Louis won't be next door anymore.

And I will be sad if Ray Wise is written out of the show.

• Love 5

Since the show is already in 1997...would they go into the musical era of 1998-1999 from NSYNC, BSB, Britney Spears, Ricky Martin, 98 Degrees, Etc. at all? I wondered if they would touch upon that timeframe? That was when the boy band craze was at a all-time high. 

• Love 1

Yes, I know Eddie would never but I do see Emery liking pop music or at least knowing it because of his skills with the ladies. 

Plus, it's 1997; I demand some Spice Girls. They were a very big deal right around this time and I kind of feel like it's got to come up. Have one of Eddie's friends crush on one of them or have them all get dragged to the movie next season. Something. I know it's not Eddie's thing, but I don't know how you talk about 1997-1998 and kids between the ages of 5-14 without the Spice Girls ever coming up. Even if our main characters aren't into them, someone in their peer group would be.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That was when the boy band craze was at a all-time high. 

Orlando was also basically the epicenter of all of that, home of BSB & NSYNC, so it would make sense.

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

Plus, it's 1997; I demand some Spice Girls. They were a very big deal right around this time

Yup. My senior prom was April of '97 and the DJ literally played Wannabe like 10 times in 3 hours.

• Love 1

I hope that Eddie and Emory will still be able to go to the same school after they move. It doesn't seem like the new house is that far away from their old one, it could be in the same district, right? It took ages for Eddie to get used to being the one Asian kid in school and to make friends, it would suck for t poor kid to have to move to a totally different school. Plus I would miss Eddies friends, they all crack me up "You know I don't eat anything that had a mama!" and they really seem like a bunch of kids that age who hang out.

"I like that your motivated by revenge, my wife will love that".

• Love 4

Heh. I can't remember where I put my keys most days, but I somehow have a vivid memory of being a freshman in high school and seeing a poster for "Grad Night '97" with the Backstreet Boys being the featured headliners. "Grad Night" for South and Central Floridians was held at Disney World back then (maybe it still is?). This was just right before BSB blew up in the States, and at that time they were still doing school events like that in the Orlando area. I could see pre-fame BSB coming to Eddies school, with the girls being totally enamored by them and Eddie and the boys being like "WTF is this wack shit?".  Eddies girlfriend seems like the type that would have totally been one of those crazy girls seen on TRL back in the day.

Aaah, the 90s. When Tupac and BSB posters covered my bedroom walls (with some Will Smith added in for good measure LOL--Fresh Prince was still fire back then!)I don't think I left one inch of wall uncovered LOL.

• Love 2

The being renters thing seemed to come right out of the blue.  Didn't Marvin sue Louis' homeowner's insurance and start a spat because he didn't realize that their insurance rates would go up as a result?

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Sile said:

he being renters thing seemed to come right out of the blue.  Didn't Marvin sue Louis' homeowner's insurance and start a spat because he didn't realize that their insurance rates would go up as a result?

You are correct.  Renter's insurance would also cover liability, but that would be a retcon.

16 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Heh. I can't remember where I put my keys most days, but I somehow have a vivid memory of being a freshman in high school and seeing a poster for "Grad Night '97" with the Backstreet Boys being the featured headliners. "Grad Night" for South and Central Floridians was held at Disney World back then (maybe it still is?). This was just right before BSB blew up in the States, and at that time they were still doing school events like that in the Orlando area. I could see pre-fame BSB coming to Eddies school, with the girls being totally enamored by them and Eddie and the boys being like "WTF is this wack shit?".  Eddies girlfriend seems like the type that would have totally been one of those crazy girls seen on TRL back in the day.

Aaah, the 90s. When Tupac and BSB posters covered my bedroom walls (with some Will Smith added in for good measure LOL--Fresh Prince was still fire back then!)I don't think I left one inch of wall uncovered LOL.

In California we had grad night at Disneyland. Everyone would pile into buses and drive there from everywhere within a hundred mile radius!

Fun story: my aunt was living in Europe in the mid to late 90s with her two sons. Near the end of the summer of 1996, my mom asked what the kids (who were 5 and 7) wanted for Christmas (she always asked way ahead of time so she had plenty of time to go shopping and mail a bigass package overseas) and my aunt said they really wanted the Backstreet Boys CD. My mom had no idea who that was so she went to the local record store (I'm pretty sure she went to the Wherehouse) and couldn't find this CD anywhere, so she asked one of the employees for help. He ended up giving her the new Blackstreet CD and they both figured my aunt had gotten the name of the band wrong. Nope. We later found out that my five year old cousin did NOT want a Blackstreet CD and the reason my mom couldn't find that Backstreet Boys CD was that it had been released in Europe but not the United States. Imagine the look on my little cousins' faces when they unwrapped that Blackstreet CD and said, "Who is that?" When the Backstreet Boys released their album here the next year, my mom was like, "Ohhhhh, THAT'S the Backstreet Boys!"

• Love 9
On 5/13/2017 at 2:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In California we had grad night at Disneyland. Everyone would pile into buses and drive there from everywhere within a hundred mile radius!

Fun story: my aunt was living in Europe in the mid to late 90s with her two sons. Near the end of the summer of 1996, my mom asked what the kids (who were 5 and 7) wanted for Christmas (she always asked way ahead of time so she had plenty of time to go shopping and mail a bigass package overseas) and my aunt said they really wanted the Backstreet Boys CD. My mom had no idea who that was so she went to the local record store (I'm pretty sure she went to the Wherehouse) and couldn't find this CD anywhere, so she asked one of the employees for help. He ended up giving her the new Blackstreet CD and they both figured my aunt had gotten the name of the band wrong. Nope. We later found out that my five year old cousin did NOT want a Blackstreet CD and the reason my mom couldn't find that Backstreet Boys CD was that it had been released in Europe but not the United States. Imagine the look on my little cousins' faces when they unwrapped that Blackstreet CD and said, "Who is that?" When the Backstreet Boys released their album here the next year, my mom was like, "Ohhhhh, THAT'S the Backstreet Boys!"

Ha, I rode to Grad Night on a bus from TUCSON! It was 1991, and C&C Music Factory headlined. ? 

Also, your mom did them a favor. Blackstreet > Backstreet every day, twice on Sundays.

On 5/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, ClareWalks said:

I was like "what? They RENT? Evan is the president of the HOA!" (Okay, maybe just the meeting moderator, but still.)

This.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, snarktini said:

Ha, I rode to Grad Night on a bus from TUCSON! It was 1991, and C&C Music Factory headlined. ? 

Also, your mom did them a favor. Blackstreet > Backstreet every day, twice on Sundays.

Daaaaaaamn, that's a long drive! Someone from the Bay Area just told me that their high school grad night is at Magic Mountain (which is in Valencia, just north of Los Angeles). It's a five hour drive and I thought that was a long drive, but your drive from Tucson beats it!

Haha, and C+C Music Factory! EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, snarktini said:

I thought the same thing! If there is a finer slow-jam than No Diggity, I don't want to hear it, for I'm not sure my ears could handle the glorious smoothness.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, snarktini said:

Blackstreet > Backstreet every day, twice on Sundays.

On 5/20/2017 at 4:33 AM, ClareWalks said:

I thought the same thing! If there is a finer slow-jam than No Diggity, I don't want to hear it, for I'm not sure my ears could handle the glorious smoothness.

I would bet money that Eddie agrees with you!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
On Wednesday, September 06, 2017 at 2:10 PM, msrachelj said:

how are they affording that mansion?!

Restaurant and savings. It actually is one of the things that are still somewhag based on the book, they moved into a large house an affluent area and the boys switched schools. They did not move back to the rental and his parents still live there.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, bonniejmac said:

Orlando was also basically the epicenter of all of that, home of BSB & NSYNC, so it would make sense.

Yup. My senior prom was April of '97 and the DJ literally played Wannabe like 10 times in 3 hours.

Last season Nicole and her friends dressed as the Spice Girls for Halloween. 

• Love 1