Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Faithful

• Start Topic

On 2017-05-10 at 5:40 PM, SnoGirl said:

Why on Earth didnt Emily try to make a legit run for the border? Going around the block would not by my first choice of escape.  I did love her short-lived smile.

On 2017-05-11 at 7:25 PM, Shangrilala said:

And Alexis Bledel lost me during that car scene.  She didn't look invincible.  She looked like Rory Gilmore had run into a garbage can because her boyfriend had distracted her while driving.  

That scene did a disfavor to the the actor IMO.  Her character was so fleshed out as this scared and serious but a bold rebel. She was smart enough to know and be a part of some secret resistance, but isn't smart enough to try for the exit? That vehicle got in somewhere, there had to be a road out. I'm just a bit annoyed because as the scene was enfolding and she shared a precious smile with Offred, I had already written the scene in my head and was joyously anticipating cheering for joy after she broke through the city gates and was cruising down the highway, even if there were 20 black trucks behind her.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, AnswersWanted said:

I thought it was a triumph and gorgeous. It amazes me that people can view sex as something so dirty when it's done to reflect a real coupling of two bodies. To me it's just so natural and beautiful and I don't have to cringe and look away in horror at the over top acting, the fact that she left her bra on or that he wasn't nuzzling her breast or holding her close.

No she didn't, and it looked to me like he was.

On ‎16‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 11:09 PM, nodorothyparker said:

It's a direct line from the Jacob and Rachel story from the Bible they're using to justify all of this.  Rachel is portrayed as so desperate to have children that she gave Jacob her handmaid to father children on for her.  These women are all similarly desperate since as the commander says women only exist under the new regime to serve that biological function.

They have taken only a part of Bible's story. Jacob had many children by Rachel's elder sister Leah, and although Rachel had none, Jacob loved her, not Leah, although accrding to the society's norms Leah had fulfilled the woman's task and Rachel hadn't. 

In Gilead, the problem is that the whole society has so few children. Therefore, only the men with power have a special priviledge: a possibility to get children, not with their wives who are barren but with handmaidens.

On ‎27‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 5:58 AM, Scarlett45 said:

@John Potts I think Serena Joy is concerned with there being a child because SHE wants one, for the same reasons people want children in 2017. I'm sure there is an elevated status for Commanders who have children (they are a precious commodity), but I think she intrinsically wants a child for herself. 

It's not very important if Serena Joy has individual reasons to have children. Problem in Gilead is that so few children are born. 

23 minutes ago, Roseanna said:

It's not very important if Serena Joy has individual reasons to have children. Problem in Gilead is that so few children are born. 

It’s very important to Serena though. I believe I was responding to the original poster’s question of why Serena wants a child so badly. Separate from the fact that children are rare (a larger social problem), Serena wants one for herself and her personal motivations. People may do xyz for the greater social good, however they will do 123, ABC, 12345678 and xyz if they have a strong personal desire for it. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

It’s very important to Serena though. I believe I was responding to the original poster’s question of why Serena wants a child so badly. Separate from the fact that children are rare (a larger social problem), Serena wants one for herself and her personal motivations. People may do xyz for the greater social good, however they will do 123, ABC, 12345678 and xyz if they have a strong personal desire for it. 

You may be right for Serena Joy's personal reasons for getting a child but so far, we haven't seen what they are.

Although many people want a child, not all of them are just compulsive about the matter as the couples in Top of the of the Lake S2 who are willing to break the law in order to get a child. And I believe that very few women would be willing to accept their husband's child by his mistress as their own. 

That is perhaps one of the reasons to the "Ceremony" where the wife is present in begetting (which must be painful for her) and where intercourse is only for begetting, barring any pleasure, tenderness and connection. For if the husband were alone with the handmaiden, there would be always be a possibility that their relationship would change, she would become a mistress and as such have some power.

Unlike in Gilead, women have always had some unofficial power, and one of the means had been through sex. F.ex. Empress Catherine I of Russia, originally a peasant girl who became Peter the Great's mistress and then wife.   

On ‎11‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 3:24 PM, fireice13 said:

This episode was hard for me because I don't think Luke deserved to die (if that's what happened to him) and I don't think June deserved what happened to her. However, I still lost some sympathy for both of them. I think cheating is one of the worst things you can do. It is making a deliberate choice to engage in behavior that will result in someone being hurt. You can't control who you fall in love with, but you can refrain from doing anything until you get divorced. I've also never understood women who knowingly sleep with a married a man; why would you do that to another woman? That's what strikes me about this show and the book is that Gilead is taking advantage of the fact that women will turn on one another even under severe patriarchal oppression. 

I think that's a too hasty judgment as we don't anything about Luke's marriage. Was it OK before he met June? There are other ways to cheat than sex. One of my friend told after learning that her husband had had a long affair that it wasn't that he had had sex with another that hurt her but that he had lied to her for years. 

In any case, one thing why I find fiction useful is to learn to empathize behavior, choices and ethics that are different from one's own.