Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Anyone else looking forward to Lawrence's opening tonight.  You know, since Trump just imploded.

What did he say  last night - he likes to hear what politicians really think, not what they are told to say?  Well, he got that in spades today.  Egads.

• Love 4

Egads, is right.  

I'd love for Lawrence to have Richard Painter on tonight, but I honestly fear that Painter is going to stroke out one of these times. I admire his utter contempt and outrage, but I fear for his health.  

• Love 5

Has Lawrence ever had Richard Painter on?  I wait for him to implode, too.  He has that grating, outraged voice that is just perfect for the times we are living in.  Love him.  He would be perfect on Lawrence's show.  His "indignation" would outdo any "indignation" that Lawrence has.  The two together...magic.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

Has Lawrence ever had Richard Painter on?  I wait for him to implode, too.  He has that grating, outraged voice that is just perfect for the times we are living in.  Love him.  He would be perfect on Lawrence's show.  His "indignation" would outdo any "indignation" that Lawrence has.  The two together...magic.

Lawrence has had him on several times. I think his show is where I first saw Painter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, car54 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Bill Moyers on the show tonight.   His site for the Russia investigation is very helpful to keep it all straight.

Very powerful interview with Moyers...I keep backing up the DVR to listen again to his comments.

• Love 2

I thought tonight's show was fascinating, watching Lawrence fact check Trump's speech in real-time. Plus, he had a few good zingers, and his utter contempt is always welcome.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 15

I turned on the show last night- and the segment playing was Ryan's tour of a plant in Washington.  According to Lawrence this was Ryan throwing his hat into the ring for the 2020 presidential election.

Ah......No.  Turned that off very quickly.

I thought that maybe Lawrence would be a safe haven for me to not have to deal with the false equivalency "both sides do it" phenomenon that infects/infests political media.  Uh, nope.  Fmr. Sen. Danforth went there tonight and damn me if Lawrence didn't let him.  

Blech.  

• Love 1

That was weird. LOD does not usually let that stuff happen. I think the execs are pressuring all the hosts to do this, because I'm seeing it with others, as well. So far Rachel is the only one they seem to leave alone, probably because her ratings are the highest.

• Love 2

Danforth may be a special case, at least as far as LOD is concerned.  LOD really was a Senate staffer, at a time when senators like Danforth were well-respected on both sides of the aisle.  I've read his autobiography (written I think after he left the Senate and got RINO'd out of the party or at least effective leadership in it), and even allowing for it being an autobiography, he came across as a generally decent guy.  

• Love 1

"And here was the mandatory thoughts and prayers section...". I love you Lawrence.

It reminded me a bit of Trevor Noah earlier this week, exhorting viewers to keep the people of the Texas Gulf Coast "in their thoughts and prayers", pause, "but first, SEND MONEY.  Thoughts and prayers are fine too, but first, SEND MONEY".  I'm so glad to see people in the media starting to openly mock the "thoughts and prayers" cliche.

• Love 3

I HATE the "thoughts and prayers" cliche.  When I was a caregiver for my Mom I got to the point were if they had been in front of me I may have gone postal on people who gave me that line when I would seek out help. Instead of getting help I'd get that line "I/We will keep you two in our thoughts and prayers." after people would say they couldn't do anything.

I feel bad I can't donate more money to help with the Harvey situation. My Mom and I got help from the Red Cross after Katrina.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, TexasGal said:

"And here was the mandatory thoughts and prayers section...". I love you Lawrence.

My cynicism always makes me question how many of "them" actually do pray.

• Love 1

The MSNBC show last night that was closest to live was All In, with all that paneling, but I'm pretty sure the current bits on all three were taped last Friday, and each hour would have been preempted or bumped if anything breaking had happened.  The giveaway with these three shows is that any of them that aren't live doesn't get a hand-off.  The other indicator was that neither Joy nor Ari were working last night; first day/night off for either since (my best guestimate) inauguration day....

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Was the show LIVE tonight or was it piece-meal ... I'd seen George Will before!!!???

I look at wardrobe.  Lawrence's tie kept changing with every segment.  lol   In related news, I love a man who can tie a proper tie and Lawrence fits the bill nicely.  :-)  

Looking forward to Kamala Harris tonight. 

• Love 2

I've always gotten the hot head vibe from him. I didn't want to believe it was true though. I'm sure this reminded people of a years old leaked video of someone else from another network doing this.

11 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'd be doing the same thing if I was trying to "run a show" & irrelevant crap kept coming through my earpiece!!!

I'd be really angry too. I just hope his behavior isn't a regular occurrence. 

• Love 2

I'm sure Lawrence is mortified over this, but I was laughing while I was watching.  He looks and sounds exactly like me every damn day on my way to and from work.  Also, as a person who is very sound sensitive, just having an earpiece in would make me crazy.  At least he knows how to make a proper apology.

It does give one an interesting insight on how hard it must be to put together a show like his (and all the other ones).  So many moving pieces, both visual and auditory, it's a wonder things run as smoothly as they usually do.  

Still love him, and as someone said on twitter, I was happy he wasn't trending because he quit or suddenly died.

Appreciate the fact that Joy came to his defense.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 8

Clearly many of the anchors/journalists/youknowwhatimean talking heads tonight have relished repeatedly reporting "moron", but Lawrence seemed to be building his rhythm early and sustaining it.  Since MSNBC no longer seems to provide transcripts, was anyone counting the number of times Lawrence said the word?  

(Yes, I'm a little giddy, but we are coming up on a holiday weekend, and The Donald has promised to do something terrible, and I'm also watching the track for Nate, so covfefe while you can.)

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I really appreciated Lawrence's opening segment tonight reacting to John Kelly's press conference.  He was on fire.

Absolutely.  Tying in his own personal history with Kelly's and Rep. Wilson gave a valuable perspective to the majority of the population who are too young to remember how life was in the 50s and 60s.  

Kelly's calling a member of Congress who worked her own way from a segregated school to teacher, principal and member of a governing body an "empty barrel"????????????????

I'm glad Lawrence left that text up on the screen while he talked.

• Love 9

To paraphrase Sam Cooke, Another Friday night and I ain't got no Lawrence. In my best Seinfeld voice, what is the deal? MSNBC should just say The Last Word with LOD Monday through Thursday at  10 pm. 

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, prican58 said:

To paraphrase Sam Cooke, Another Friday night and I ain't got no Lawrence. In my best Seinfeld voice, what is the deal? MSNBC should just say The Last Word with LOD Monday through Thursday at  10 pm. 

Ari Melber, sitting in for Lawrence, had an amazing quote regarding Gen. Kelly:  "Many in Washington had hoped that when John Kelly came to the White House, he could change trump.  Tonight it looks like trump is changing him."  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Ari Melber, sitting in for Lawrence, had an amazing quote regarding Gen. Kelly:  "Many in Washington had hoped that when John Kelly came to the White House, he could change trump.  Tonight it looks like trump is changing him."  

It's a good quote, but I wonder if Trump is changing Kelly at all.  Maybe this is who Kelly is.  Maybe he didn't like Trump (the commander in chief) being called out for his atrocious behavior by a black woman, or any woman, or anyone at all.  Let's not forget that Kelly eagerly and swiftly implemented both the Muslim ban and unleashed ICE to round up any immigrants they could ambush.  The inhumane measures taken by CBP to detain Muslims at the airports were at the direction of DHS and Kelly.  Going after immigrants with parking tickets and calling them criminals in order to detain them for deportation is DHS and was John Kelly.  He didn't hesitate or ask any questions.

So we don't know that Kelly is being changed by Trump.  It could be that we are getting to know Kelly better, that's all.

• Love 11

Yeah, I'm not so sure that trump is changing anyone.  Its those that always harbored such opinions and previously felt that they couldn't announce same, but now feel 'safe' that they can do so, because trump and enough of the electorate feel the same.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

That segment on Boston/Howie Carr was a thing of beauty.  

Oh yeah!  Mr. pig was born and raised in Cambridge MA, so I've had 30 years of exposure to Bahstun tahk, and it cracked me up when Lawrence would seamlessly transition to a real local accent.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Oh yeah!  Mr. pig was born and raised in Cambridge MA, so I've had 30 years of exposure to Bahstun tahk, and it cracked me up when Lawrence would seamlessly transition to a real local accent.

It was endearing to hear Lawrence drop a word here and there in the homie accent and then switch completely over, then switch back and slip a few more words in.  (My mother was from South Boston and my father was from Charlestown, and I was born in Brighton, so I know my Bahstun, too.) 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, meowmommy said:

It was endearing to hear Lawrence drop a word here and there in the homie accent and then switch completely over, then switch back and slip a few more words in.  (My mother was from South Boston and my father was from Charlestown, and I was born in Brighton, so I know my Bahstun, too.) 

I didn't think I could love the man more than I already do, but dang if those accent slips didn't do it!

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 5

Ugh, Lawrence, c'mon, you can do better.  You're still ragging on the Gold Star widow call--not that it didn't matter, but all the points that needed to be made have already been made, over and over, for days.  And you can rag on 45 without dissing Wharton as a second-tier Ivy school.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2017 at 10:20 PM, prican58 said:

I love me some Joy Reid; however, honestly, I know everything gets spelled out in people's contracts, but when you see Chris and Rachel doing their shows almost every Friday night and LOD almost always has a sub, it really sticks out...not in a good way.