Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Political commentary from either The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell or any related PTV editorial piece is fine to be discussed in this forum.

However, posts that contain personal political views are subject to moderation.

This directive is purposely broad because anytime hard lines are drawn in the sand and/or examples are given, some will use it as an opportunity to walk too close to the line, or even put a toe over it.

Please remember, mods are only human, and sometimes stuff will slip through the net. So if you see a post that violates the above, please do not respond - use the report button.

If you have a question on any of this, please PM the forum moderator, @saoirse.

Thanks.

I thought it was great to point out that even if trump doesn't have money invested in russian corps/business ventures that would show up on his taxes, that doesn't mean the opposite isn't true, that there isn't russian money invested in trump's businesses, which is probably more likely.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

that doesn't mean the opposite isn't true, that there isn't russian money invested in trump's businesses, which is probably more likely.

Considering either Urday and Qusay were talking a few years back about how much investment they get from Russia, that's much more likely.

• Love 1

Hannahope, I was just reading some stories on David Cay Johnston's DCReport and articles they link to on this very issue (there's a very good one on the american interest website).  There has been lots of Russian money invested in the family businesses in the past, and then of course there's the shell corporation scheme used to hide the true sources of investment money.  I've been mainlining news this week and don't remember where I saw the report, but journalists were able to finally track down Russian money given to Marine Le Pen's campaign back to an empty building outside of Moscow.  It was one shell-corp owned shell-corp after another.

This is exactly where these investigations are headed.  Hopefully the documents that FinCen is handing over to the Senate intelligence committee will be the jolt that some of these people need, as clearly the full-on assault on our democratic institutions hasn't been enough to worry them.

• Love 2

I'll still watch Rachel and Chris, but it will definitely cut down my viewing of MSNBC w/o Lawrence.  I'd only watch his slot if he was replaced with another liberal, like Robert Reich or Keith Olberman.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I'll still watch Rachel and Chris, but it will definitely cut down my viewing of MSNBC w/o Lawrence.  I'd only watch his slot if he was replaced with another liberal, like Robert Reich or Keith Olberman.

Robert Reich would be brilliant.  His sensitivities are laser sharp.  I always look forward to his insight.

Now, if they'd dump Greta, bring in Reich, and leave Lawrence alone.  One can hope.

• Love 7

There are a number of movements to get Lawrence/TLW trending on Twitter during his show tonight.  

CALL 212-664-4444 Option 7 Email: Letters@MSNBC.com

Unfortunately what I read is that Comcast wants to court Republicans on issues like net neutrality - thus the change of on-air staff.  So what little money (to them they are the evil empire) they can get from Lawrence is nothing compared how much money they can make by courting Republicans.

• Love 1

I'm sick about this.  How stupid can they be?  I'm not that fond of Chris Hayes or Brian Williams.  Rachel and Lawrence are the only shows I can't miss.  If Lawrence is gone, I may stop watching Rachel too (in protest).   Don Lemon, here I come!

(edited)

It's official.  He's cancelled.

Per David Frum's Tweet:

Reportedly O'Donnell's firing offense was being too critical of Trump: awkward for Comcast's other interests

Hold the phone!  Apparently Lawrence isn't fired.  Yet.

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Edited by spiderpig
15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's official.  He's cancelled.

Per David Frum's Tweet:

Reportedly O'Donnell's firing offense was being too critical of Trump: awkward for Comcast's other interests

*bolding mine

It's not possible to BE too critical of Trump.  Can MSNBC be so stupid as to let LOD go?

• Love 4

Isn't this show one of their highest rated shows - second only to Rachel?  Yeah, that makes sense, let's get rid of that guy.  MSNBC's ratings have been through the roof with the election of Trump.  Why do they want to screw that up?  That said, I wouldn't mind saying farewell to Chris Hayes, move Rachel and Lawrence each up an hour, and then they can put BriWi on an hour earlier than he is now.  This would mean I could get to bed earlier! 

• Love 2

This morning on her show, Stephanie Miller threw her support of Lawrence to her listeners.  She's pretty pissed off that there's a chance Lawrence and MSNBC  may not come to a contract agreement.  His contract expires June 4th.

Stephanie was unhappy saying that basically Chris Hayes, Rachel, Lawrence and Joy Reid make MSNBC  worth watching.

• Love 4
(edited)

1. Lawrence did not throw a public tantrum.  Jackass writer.

2. No way in hell will I watch Brian Williams. And, I used to actually like him.

3. I've read that Rachel has said she will be out the door if Griffin is shown the door.

4. Why is this idiot in charge messing with success?

I hope Lawrence is on tonight.  I know he often times is off on Friday, but since he missed Monday, hope he will be on tonight.

ETA: Yay!  He's on.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3

Remember when the glory of cable was that people could find niche networks that catered to their interests (like Sci-Fi, Court TV, The Learning Channel) and then they cannibalized them into broadcasts having nothing to do with their original core audience.

TLC (The Learning Channel)?  SyFy (Sci-Fi Channel), TruTV (Court TV)?

Wasn't AMC originally American Movie Classics?  But they ran really crappy movies and as AMC have done some stellar shows, so I'll give them a pass.

To keep this on topic, wasn't MSNBC programmed to counter Fox News and appeal to a different audience?  We have our favorites like Lawrence, and now they have to mess with us.  If they shut out Lawrence, where does he go?  Cartoon Network?

• Love 3
On 5/16/2017 at 11:37 PM, spiderpig said:

This makes no sense.  They would have to fire Rachael and Chris to name only two.  '

What is happening to free speech?  

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, wings707 said:

This makes no sense.  They would have to fire Rachael and Chris to name only two.  '

What is happening to free speech?  

I guess we'll have to wait on tenterhooks (go ahead and Google tenterhooks) until Monday to find out where we're headed.  Lawrence is a smart guy, and I didn't detect any subliminal messages about an imminent departure, but who knows?

(edited)
13 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I guess we'll have to wait on tenterhooks (go ahead and Google tenterhooks) until Monday to find out where we're headed.  Lawrence is a smart guy, and I didn't detect any subliminal messages about an imminent departure, but who knows?

I am familiar with the word.  :^)   Lawrence's delivery is always calm and measured.  In his soothing tweet, I read DOOM!  The political climate drives me to this conclusion.  Again I say WTF is going on?  The right is taking over the airways.  I have become twitchy and now store food under my bed.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

Thank you for that.  The bad news paragraph makes me think he may be offered a contract that he will not sign because there would be a clause limiting his criticism of Trump.  It would not be that specific but something to rein in his criticism of the right.  

34 minutes ago, clb1016 said:

He's on AM Joy right now.  At least his colleagues are showing their support.

Unfortunately I tuned in half way through and still watching now.  I missed it.  Can you give some highlights, please?  

On 5/20/2017 at 8:13 AM, wings707 said:

I have become twitchy and now store food under my bed.  

I have a friend who's been preparing (and keeping prepared) for some kind of apocalyptic upheaval for at least 20 years. He has a whole plan: where to go, what to take, who's going, and so on, complete with rations and necessities stored up. I used to laugh at him a little bit. Now I'm starting to think he might well have the last laugh.

31 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I have a friend who's been preparing (and keeping prepared) for some kind of apocalyptic upheaval for at least 20 years. He has a whole plan: where to go, what to take, who's going, and so on, complete with rations and necessities stored up. I used to laugh at him a little bit. Now I'm starting to think he might well have the last laugh.

I am too much of an optimist to entertain any thoughts of apocalypse.  I have seen TV shows on Preppers.  What a bizarre existence.  My comment was humor which I am sure you got.    ;^) 

• Love 2

Lawrence's tweet about why he wasn't on Monday night:

My taped interview with @SenWarren pre-empted tonight for live coverage of Manchester tragedy. Will air tomorrow @TheLastWord or online.

• Love 1

Ah got to see more of the testimony of Brennan, who refused to name specific people colluding with russians, only that there was information that needed to be investigated about the collusion.  Good for Brennan to avoid being pinned down.  They need to continue their investigation to see who specifically colluded and who knew/approved about the collusion at the time it ws happening.

• Love 1

I can't believe they'd get rid of O'Donnell and possibly Rachel Maddow (on top of refusing to give a show to someone fantastic like Joy Ann-Reid), but bring on people like Megyn Kelly/Greta. Something about this feels very unsettling.

There's also lunacy happening over at Fox News behind-the-scenes from what I've read. I wonder if both stories are related somehow.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Son of a ......!

I love Joy, and I like David Frum, but where the hell is Lawrence?

::pouts::

Yeah.  He's off.  He's back!  He's off.  Color me suspicious.

• Love 1