Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, SierraMist said:

That's what I don't understand either.  Didn't they keep saying the lines (especially in the early voting) were longer than in previous years. And yet, the consensus now is that voter turnout was low .  Was the election rigged?  Sorry, I'm only half kidding.

I totally agree with this.  Lawrence is the only one who isn't afraid to say that Trump is still despicable even if he is our new president.

Yeah - the rest are scrambling to figure out what works best for them.  Lawrence is calling out the Electoral College tonight for the obsolete joke that it is.

I appreciate his low-key delivery - and he always says exactly what's on his mind (looking at you, Morning Joe and Tweety).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SierraMist said:

That's what I don't understand either.  Didn't they keep saying the lines (especially in the early voting) were longer than in previous years. And yet, the consensus now is that voter turnout was low .  Was the election rigged?  Sorry, I'm only half kidding.

I totally agree with this.  Lawrence is the only one who isn't afraid to say that Trump is still despicable even if he is our new president.

My impression was that the lines were longer because many polling places in certain districts had been eliminated (by guess which party), resulting in longer lines at the few remaining sites.

Good to see that Lawrence is still calling Trump a liar.

• Love 4

Thank The Maker for the internets (nod to Shrub for that term) though the main conduit for liberal discourse, democraticunderground.com, was hacked by what the site admins called Trump Trolls.  It's been down for 3 days. It was my main tool for everything - DUers would report an earthquake in OK instantly, or were messaging onsite from any social or political situation.  Lawrence, you are my hero.

That takedown of the electoral college was brilliant.  I didn't know that states could actually do something about it, and that 13 of them already had (did I hear that right?).  Since there are so many republican governors now it isn't likely to go beyond those states any time soon.  Wouldn't it be nice if Obama had eliminated the electoral college in his first two years when he had the senate and the house.  Too bad he squandered those first two years by trying to work with republicans.

• Love 1

That history lesson on the electoral college was very informative - I had no idea the states could opt-out (if only it was that easy) - my state does have a democratic governor but I don't recall the topic ever coming up for discussion - not likely to happen now with that man winning the electoral votes & Republicans in charge of just about everything

Keep saying it - he didn't win the popular vote - another interesting discussion - the rest of the world just calls the vote, the vote - not the electoral college vote or the popular vote

• Love 1

I think Trump secretly watches Lawrence (I know he doesn't admit to it) but since Lawrence explained it so well, maybe now Trump understands how the Affordable Care Act works and why it was set up the way it was.  I want to see how Trump will keep the parts that people like, and make it cheaper, and not force anyone to sign up for it.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I think Trump secretly watches Lawrence (I know he doesn't admit to it) but since Lawrence explained it so well, maybe now Trump understands how the Affordable Care Act works and why it was set up the way it was.  I want to see how Trump will keep the parts that people like, and make it cheaper, and not force anyone to sign up for it.

That's pretty much what Obama tried to do in the first place:  "keep the parts that people like, and make it cheaper, and not force anyone to sign up for it".  But the GOP congress wouldn't agree to pass that version.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 3pwood said:

That's pretty much what Obama tried to do in the first place:  "keep the parts that people like, and make it cheaper, and not force anyone to sign up for it".  But the GOP congress wouldn't agree to pass that version.

Do you think the Republican congress will go along with it now?  I think Ryan wants Health Spending Vouchers.  But I guess they're planning to get rid of him, so who knows. 

Also, I don't understand why Trump thinks it's such a benefit to make insurance available across state lines.  What am I missing about that? 

As usual, I love how Lawrence explains things about the government on his show.  I didn't know about the Plum Book.  And I've heard there are thousands of jobs to fill, but I don't think the enormity really hit me until he brought out the book.  It's really terrifying to know how ignorant these people are.

• Love 3

I'm always happy when Steve Schmidt comes on these shows and gives his analysis.  I so agree with him about the cat and mouse thing that Trump does to float these names to the press.  My dream would be that ALL the press would tell him they are no longer covering any potential names for cabinet posts.  Let us know when you've actually picked someone.  I'm so sick of all these cable channels hanging on his every word. 

It was interesting that David Frum thought we might be talking about the 25th amendment as a way to get oust a president.  I'm sure it won't happen, but if ever there was a legitimate reason to use the 25th amendment, getting rid of a crazy, unstable President Trump would be it.

Too bad there isn't an amendment that would make tweeting false statements an impeachable offense.

• Love 8

Ari Melber was on in place of LOD tonight.  I don't agree with David Frum on a lot of policy issues, but he seems to be one of the few people who really sees through Trump.  While everyone is freaking out about what Donald Trump's real goals are and how his cabinet picks will further those goals, Frum has said all along these are all distractions.  Donald Trump's only goal is to enrich himself and his family.  All of his stupid tweets about Hamilton and SNL are just to distract the press.  And unfortunately they seem to be falling for it.

His presidency is looking more scary every day, and who can stop him.  He's already marginalizing the press.

• Love 2

Also on last night's show there was an update on what's happening with the protests to the ND Pipeline.   It was horrendous what they did to the protesters, turning water hoses on them in freezing temperatures.  How can they be this inhumane?  And that sheriff saying this is the only way we can keep the protesters under control.  As if the dogs weren't bad enough.  Al Franken wrote to the current Attorney General to see if she could do something.  And Mark Wahlberg wrote to the Governor of North Dakota.  I hope there is something Loretta Lynch can do.  I shudder to think what the next Attorney General will be like.  At least there are rumors now of a few GOP Senators planning to block some of Trumps appointments.

• Love 1

Lawrence's interview with the young woman who wants to be a doctor/poet made my day.     Little by Little indeed.    I'm so glad the KIND fund was able to pay the rest of her school fees so she can finish.    I hope he keeps up with her.

• Love 3
On 11/29/2016 at 8:15 PM, car54 said:

Lawrence's interview with the young woman who wants to be a doctor/poet made my day.     Little by Little indeed.    I'm so glad the KIND fund was able to pay the rest of her school fees so she can finish.    I hope he keeps up with her.

I like him anyway, but even more so seeing his involvement with this project.

• Love 1

Love his project with the desks and paying for girls to get an education. Every time he interviews someone there--like that young woman yesterday--its just so moving. Fantastic to create opportunities for children who would otherwise never have had them and who are so ready to benefit from the chance.  (I wonder if Trump will donate again this year, but not in the manipulative way he did in 2015. Or, more likely, since it has no PR value now, he won't.)

So glad to hear from Lawrence that MSNBC cameras will be at Standing Rock next week. I don't understand why the federal government is not protecting them, but hopefully cameras will be a deterrent.  

On 12/21/2016 at 10:49 PM, spiderpig said:

Is Lawrence in a take-no-prisoners mood tonight (12/21)!  More than usual.  Trump, Republicans, repeal of Obamacare, electoral college,  O'Reilly.  Too much and too fast to summarize.

Lawrence is my favorite show these days.  I know I'm going to get unfiltered Trump hate.  I loved that he had Michael Moore on tonight, even if I didn't get to hear Lawrence sing, lol.  (Michael actually has a pretty good voice.)  I'm not sure about his 5 step plan but I love how passionate he is about fighting back. 

I saw this earlier, but Lawrence showed a brief clip of Newt Gingrich having to apologize because he "misspoke" about Trump not wanting to drain the swamp any longer.  The best thing about that was the clip of David Corn saying the Gingrich apology looked like a hostage tape.  I laughed both times I saw that today.

• Love 2

I'm always moved to tears by Lawrence's heartfelt support of KIND.  I never thought about children going to school and having to try to write on each others' backs or on their own feet.  A simple desk that gives them dignity.  (Desks built in Malawi, too.)

And the fact that for the price of a few Big Macs you can cover a semester's tuition for a girl whose parents can't afford to pay.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, SierraMist said:

Lawrence is my favorite show these days.  I know I'm going to get unfiltered Trump hate.  I loved that he had Michael Moore on tonight, even if I didn't get to hear Lawrence sing, lol.  (Michael actually has a pretty good voice.)  I'm not sure about his 5 step plan but I love how passionate he is about fighting back. 

I saw this earlier, but Lawrence showed a brief clip of Newt Gingrich having to apologize because he "misspoke" about Trump not wanting to drain the swamp any longer.  The best thing about that was the clip of David Corn saying the Gingrich apology looked like a hostage tape.  I laughed both times I saw that today.

I agree. If I have to choose anyone of the three, these days it's Lawrence, for exactly as you said, "the unfiltered hate".   I'm sometimes mixed about Moore, but he was good, too, including his "5 Point Plan" (start small local action group with your friends/family and mobilize with calls/email; go to your local congressional office; protest in Washington on Jan 20, "expect the worst--then realize its going to get worse than that" and one other). It was good to hear concrete things people could do.  It was funny to see him being so apologetic for timing it near Christmas.  (He looked a lot better than usual, too--nicely combed hair, nice shirt and V-neck sweater. So different that I wondered if he was going to a Xmas party afterwards.)

I think Moore really wanted to sing with Lawrence. As he sang them out--I could see why--guy can carry a tune! (Sadly, LOD didn't want to sing Little Drummer Boy with him, but I guess it really -wouldn't- have been very professional,lol.)

• Love 3

Lawrence spent a long time going over the budget report and how it will increase the national debt every year.  But the guest he had on, who I think helped to write the Affordable Care Act, seemed to understand how Trump was going to spin that whole thing better than Lawrence did.  I think that report is going to go over most people's heads unless reporters keep making it the news.  And we know there will be so much other news about Trump that this will probably get lost.  I hope I'm wrong and people will be able to see through Trump's lies.

• Love 1

Ari Melber is popping up all over the place.  I think he does a great job of filling in for people.  I know Rachel brought this up first, but Ari continued with the news that it looks like Trump is trying to dismantle our intelligence agencies.  And I think the guests made a great point, it's the first step in what authoritarian leaders do so they can't be undermined by anyone.  Truly frightening.  And if that wasn't enough, the segment on fraud news was just as frightening, with Jim DeMint questioning legitimate facts and Trump continually saying you can't trust the media.  How do you counteract against that when the future president makes up his own facts.  Trump, and now Palin, are trying to persuade people that we should believe Julian Assange over our own government.  And their fanatic followers will believe anything these two say.   

• Love 1

Ari has really grown on me and he did an excellent job last night.  

I'm dreading January 20 like it's an appointment with the world's meanest, most sadistic dentist.

Counting on Lawrence (and Ari) to help get me through the next four interminable (if The Orange doesn't get us obliterated) years.

• Love 2

Ari Melber was on again tonight.  And I always love when Michael Moore is on and how geared up he is to demonstrate against Trump.  He's going to the Womens March on Washington the day after the inauguration.  I love his sense of humor, too.  At the end of the interview when Ari was going to sign off, Ari said (as usual) I'm Ari Melber, in for Lawrence O'Donnell and Michael jokingly said "hurry back Lawrence or Shepherd Smith is coming over here to take your job."  ha ha.

• Love 1

I'm so happy to see Lawrence back.  And he played more of the interaction between Rubio and Tillerson than I saw elsewhere.  I know Rachel showed some of it, but Lawrence gave more time to it.  I was impressed with the questions that Rubio asked and the stance he took with Putin, calling him a war criminal.  He laid out all the criminal things Putin has done to civilians.  And Tillerson said he couldn't go as far as calling Putin a war criminal (or something like that).  I was surprised Tillerson was so shaky and ill prepared for the questioning.  It showed just how unprepared he is for the job.  I  hope he is not confirmed.  Please, Marco stand up to your cowardly republican comrades.

• Love 7

Agree with you, Sierra.

And did Ana Marie Cox come thisclose to dropping the f-bomb on air?  It was soimething like "He doesn't know what the fff...hell...heck he's talking about."

I enjoyed it.  Very refreshing.

• Love 4

You Are Not Alone!  Great opening by Lawrence tonight showing Trump's poll numbers going down.  I'm not sure what difference it will make, though, unless there is a real grass roots movement to get some elected republicans to stand up to him.  I hope people realize they are talking about repealing the Affordable Care Act.  Even MSNBC calls it Obamacare and I'm not convinced that people really know it's the same thing.

• Love 2

So comforting to have Lawrence back with his Trump hate. The polling and how he spoke about it meaning "You're not alone" was a little bit reassuring, too.  Also, seeing Mattis and Pompeo (esp. Mattis) raised hopes that Trump will be marginalized in his own government.  Took away a little of the bitter taste from Tillerson and Sessions' hearings yesterday. (I luckily saw none of Carson.)

I enjoyed the late night Dem senator's protest, but Trump America will never now about it--or the horrible, lying Republicans who vot ed against everything they have promised to keep.

• Love 3

I'm happy Lawrence is back!  And I needed to hear those poll results. 

14 minutes ago, Padma said:

I enjoyed the late night Dem senator's protest, but Trump America will never now about it--or the horrible, lying Republicans who vot ed against everything they have promised to keep.

As much as Trumputin scares me, the Republicans in Congress are pretty damned scary, too.  They vote as a bloc, and they vote for things that benefit them (the insurance lobby that funds their campaigns) instead of voting for things that benefit the people of this country, including their own constituents. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SierraMist said:

You Are Not Alone!  Great opening by Lawrence tonight showing Trump's poll numbers going down.  I'm not sure what difference it will make, though, unless there is a real grass roots movement to get some elected republicans to stand up to him.  I hope people realize they are talking about repealing the Affordable Care Act.  Even MSNBC calls it Obamacare and I'm not convinced that people really know it's the same thing.

I heard of a Trump supporter who was all for dumping Obamacare - he didn't need it because he was covered by ACA!!!

This is what we're faced with (shakes head).

Along with his hands-on political experience, Lawrence has plenty of scriptwriting under his belt which is evident in the forceful way he makes his points, such as "You Are Not Alone".

He spoke with one of my favorites tonight - Robert Reich.

• Love 2

I knew when Lawrence said there had been no response yet from Trump about John Lewis, David Corn would turn out to be right and we would hear from Trump sometime the next morning.  Trump is such an ignoramus.  He accuses John Lewis of no action, all talk, talk, talk.  I guess he thinks the rest of us don't know John Lewis's history.

I am a little concerned about that MI6 guy, whether he's in hiding or has "disappeared."  It wouldn't be the first time Putin has had someone in Britain killed.  I guess it was funny when Lawrence said to David Corn, "your body guards say it's safe for you to leave now." I hope it was funny.    

• Love 1

Lawrence is an optimist, one of the many reasons I like him.  I think he didn't feel Trump would dare to challenge Lewis, even though all us Negative Nellies out here knew he wouldn't be able to resist.  Of course, Trump had to go beyond the pale, insulting Lewis's constituency as well, calling it everything short of a ghetto.  I really wish we didn't have to wait two days for Lawrence's followup.  At least he'll have plenty of time to write a really good smackdown.

As time goes on the MI6 guy is getting more and more support from his community as a reliable veteran operator.  Ian Fleming couldn't write stuff this fascinating.

• Love 4

Lawrence is the jewel of the network these days.  When I watch his show I know I'm not going to see any of those annoying, lying, disgusting Trump talking heads.  He might play some clips but they don't get to take over his show and spew their endless nonsense.  He can then call them out for the lying they do so well without them talking over him like they do everywhere else.  I'm glad he's on at the end of the day.  I don't need any more normalizing of the Putin puppet.    

• Love 11

Is it me, or is Elise Jordan on way too much.

Maybe four or five years ago, Lawrence would have on Krystal Ball on with him during the first segment of almost every show. (Until she left for The Five.)

Now it seems like Elise Jordan is on every show.

I don't have a problem with her specifically, it's just that she becomes almost like a co-host by always appearing. It would be like Rachel having the same person in the first segment 3 nights a week.

I like seeing different people on these shows, a rotation.

Ditto Malcolm Nance.

"In His Own Words" is a perfect feature.  Hearing the mature, learned, calm Lawrence read Trump's ramblings makes you just scratch your head and go "HUH???"  It's almost like a David Letterman bit - but, sadly, real.

• Love 3

Thursday night's show:

Oh, SMACK! on Trump's cabinet.  You know - the one with the highest IQ evahhhh!  Comparing Rick Perry with his predecessors?  Really?  I have to admire Lawrence's ability to keep a straight face while reciting this stuff.

Go Cher!

• Love 2

I just read that Rachel will have a show tonight, so I think Lawrence will too.  I haven't been watching any of it, just reading the comments on the MSNBC forum.  It sounds like the orange baboon is painting a very dark picture of America (that only he can fix, of course).  I hope Lawrence will be in a take no prisoners mood. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I just read that Rachel will have a show tonight, so I think Lawrence will too.  I haven't been watching any of it, just reading the comments on the MSNBC forum.  It sounds like the orange baboon is painting a very dark picture of America (that only he can fix, of course).  I hope Lawrence will be in a take no prisoners mood. 

Thanks for that, Sierra.  I'm on the Pacific Coast, so I'll take a peek at 7pm local.