Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I am so proud of the Douglas HS students.  They give me hope for the future.  Lawrence treated them with utmost respect.

Yes, and all but the youngest of them will be of voting age in 2020, which may be an interesting election, indeed.  For way too many of today's high school students, looking back on their school years will not be reminiscing about proms and football games, but of the horror of school massacres.  No doubt they'll vote accordingly.

Edited by Tunia
to correct sentence structure
  • Love 5

As usual, Lawrence hit it out of the park.  Many news outlets post about 17 students being murdered, but we know 3 of the dead were teachers.  It simply breaks my heart.

Godspeed to those students who are not going to let this go.  You march.  You raise awareness.  You do your part in saying "enough of this violence, and we're not taking it anymore." 

Take a moment to think of teachers who made a difference in your life.  I know who mine were and so do you. 

• Love 10

Joy is subbing for Lawrence (again).  I normally like Joy, but that first segment she got bit by the interjection bug.  Yeah.  Yeah.  Yeah.  Right.  Uh-huh.  Mm-hm.  Yeah.  Sure.  Yeah.  Right.  Right.  Right.  Right.  Right.  Uh-huh.  Uh-huh.  Uh-huh. 

I felt like throwing something breakable at the TeeVee.  Not only are the filler noises unnecessary, they're unprofessional at the national political talk show level.  Gack. 

• Love 2

The nearly daily appearances on MSNBC by Michael Avenatti, Stormy Daniels lawyer, are really making him look in the best possible personal light. He could easily parlay his newfound fame into a legal-expert contributor post-case.

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

The nearly daily appearances on MSNBC by Michael Avenatti, Stormy Daniels lawyer, are really making him look in the best possible personal light. He could easily parlay his newfound fame into a legal-expert contributor post-case.

I could watch that guy all.day.long!!!  Just sayin'.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I've enjoyed watching him go from trying to be somewhat polite and circumspect in discussing Michael Cohen to now basically just saying he's a terrible lawyer.

• Love 7

Tuned in to see at least the last few minutes tonight. The MSNBC banner featuring current voting results was running during the commercials. I've not seen/noticed this before - is this a thing?

(edited)

Lawrence and Avenatti is a great interview.

I noticed Jon Heilemann has a new fancy title lately. National Affairs Analyst. Guess he benefited from has partner being dumped.

Edited by stormy

Oh I enjoyed seeing the update on the young poet that Lawrence had on last night.  I remember her from his program on the KIND fund at Christmas, and it was lovely to see her get to come to NY and Boston and see all the sights.    If Lawrence never does anything else, his work for those schools and kids is a great accomplishment.   

• Love 10

I was glad to see Lawrence, Craig Melvin, Stephanie Ruhle, Brian Williams, and Chris Hayes (and Lester) down there broadcasting live.    I'm grateful to MSNBC to committing that many resources to this story--I feel like them shining this light is making a difference to this getting stopped.

And the field reporters have been amazing---I feel like I am watching a hard-hitting journalist being born---Jacob Soboroff usually gets a lot of "human interest" pieces and he has been all over this story.     

I was so glad Lawrence was there to take a quick hand-off from Rachel when she got overwhelmed.     It's been a rough few days and I'm sure they're all exhausted.     Today he's been going after Corey Lewandowski all day on Twitter, so he'll be on it tonight, I'm sure.

• Love 5

Struggled through the interview last night with Tom Arnold.  What on God's Green Earth is going on with him? If I remember, he has always been super-hyper and kind of all over the place when speaking.  Watching Lawrence try and keep things on track was laughable - even trying to keep Arnold to one-word answers didn't work all that well.  Other than the train-wreck aspect, I kind of wish he hadn't had him on - he seems to be exaggerating his claims.  I have to wonder if there is any story; if it was just a chance meeting and a photo op.   He should have been wearing a tinfoil hat.  But.  I so wish his stories were true.  Who knows, maybe they are...we are living in crazy times.

• Love 9

OMG it felt like the plot of Bowfinger, with Tom Arnold as Bowfinger, but LOD taking it all seriously.  That interview was incoherent.  I would have been more interested to hear Tom commenting on his ex-wife Roseanne.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh, holy cow, Jill Wine-Banks's pin on Lawrence's show this evening:  big red letters spelling TRUMP with a hammer and sickle instead of a "U".  

wine-banks MSNBC 07-17-18.png

Edited by jjj
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, jjj said:

Oh, holy cow, Jill Wine-Banks's pin on Lawrence's show this evening:  big red letters spelling TRUMP with a hammer and sickle instead of a "U".  

wine-banks MSNBC 07-17-18.png

Thank you!  I saw it, too.  But I had to get up close to the tv to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.  Loved it!  Wonder where you get it?  

• Love 4

Rarely successful embedding tweets so here is the text:

Jill Wine-Banks @ JillWineBanks - Jul 18

Would the fan from Grand Bay, AL who sent the #JillsPin please DM me or email me through my website. http://www.JillWineBanks.com . You found the most popular pin I've ever worn. Many want to know where to buy it to wear as part of the #Resistance. TY.

• Love 2
(edited)

OK, scrolled a bit, Jill found it on Etsy but the link she supplied is broken/not found. Try this, but it is back ordered 4-6 weeks due to "extremely high demand." $10, made of plastic but hand-painted. Dimensions not provided but it is BIG. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/533265925/russian-trump-pin-3d-printed?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_independence_day_All_Products&utm_custom1=a8d3c290-6260-402f-b5d1-fb168ff4688d

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 2

And here I thought Jill Wine-Banks was either wearing those pins on a dare or trolling us. She wore one a couple of weeks ago with a gigantic spider and it was so disturbing I couldn't concentrate on anything she was saying.

On Thursday's show Lawrence had a great informative discussion with Tom Friedman (always a favorite hometown son of mine).

Tom's most current column is getting a lot of of attention. He was on Smirconish this morning.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3

Tonight, Ari Melber is guest hosting for Lawrence -- but stay tuned!  He is interviewing Steve Bannon, and I saw some clips earlier today on MSNBC.  The bits I saw have Bannon saying the midterm elections are a referendum on Trump, and that Trump is being told, "don't worry about losing the House" -- but Bannon said the Republicans are not taking this seriously enough.  I'll watch that! 

• Love 1

I know Lawrence doesn't usually work on Friday nights but I kind of wish he was going head to head with Bannon.

Ari is a good interviewer and he's done really well getting things out of Republican operatives on his own show, so I'm sure he will do a good job.  That's a pretty big "get" for him.    First his intervention with Maya Wiley and Sam Nunberg, now this.   He's the GOP whisperer.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, car54 said:

I know Lawrence doesn't usually work on Friday nights but I kind of wish he was going head to head with Bannon.

Ari is a good interviewer and he's done really well getting things out of Republican operatives on his own show, so I'm sure he will do a good job.  That's a pretty big "get" for him.    First his intervention with Maya Wiley and Sam Nunberg, now this.   He's the GOP whisperer.

It is interesting that Ari is hosting the interview on Lawrence's show rather than Ari's show.  I assume if the "get" had been for "The Last Word," Lawrence would have certainly done the interview -- and it was pre-taped, because I saw the clips already.  So, someone must have decided this would be better in prime time.  I think they are right -- but still some finagling of whose show gets the "get".   

• Love 4

I tuned into Hardball and Ari was there with a clip of his interview. I'll have to read your analysis. I can't watch Bannon. He looks like Professor Moody (Harry Potter).

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, stormy said:

I tuned into Hardball and Ari was there with a clip of his interview. I'll have to read your analysis. I can't watch Bannon. He looks like Professor Moody (Harry Potter).

I do not believe I have ever watched a Bannon interview.  Frankly, the clips I saw provided enough of a glimpse into the denial atmosphere of the White House to make it potentially worth watching.  But I am ready to mute if necessary.  Hopefully others will post analysis -- I doubt it will be from me! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jjj said:

It is interesting that Ari is hosting the interview on Lawrence's show rather than Ari's show.  I assume if the "get" had been for "The Last Word," Lawrence would have certainly done the interview -- and it was pre-taped, because I saw the clips already. 

Have to wonder if Bannon would have agreed to do an interview with Lawrence.  I'm thinking probably not, any more than he would want to be The Interview for Rachel.  Lawrence because he would have gotten emotional and combative, and Rachel because she would have dissected him like a science experiment.

• Love 6

It is very interesting, and good planning, that Ari is mixing panel comments alongside the interview segments.  One panelist (sorry, not able to get all the names) basically said this interview shows how reprehensible Bannon is.  I'll have to watch the repeat to catch the panel comments.   

I am sure that between Omarosa and Bannon tonight and Brennan on MTP Sunday and the Manafort verdict, Trump will be removing security clearances every day to try to distract us.  No, that will not at all be obvious!  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, stormy said:

Actually, I think he looks like he stopped drinking.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lava VaVoom said:

Actually, I think he looks like he stopped drinking.

Actually, I think you are right.  

Wow, the end of that episode, from the journalist (I have to get the names on the repeat):  "I never want to see another interview with him, and I hope everything he attempts, he fails at."  

This was a very good organization for the show:  interview/disgusted panel/interview/outraged panel/interview/full blast condemnation. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Blech. I have zero interest in watching that slimeball Bannon. I'm disappointed Ari/MSNBC is wasting airtime on him.

This is the only way I would watch him (and I only had it on in the background) -- on MSNBC, with a critic as interviewer.  But it's useful to get a sense of what he is saying to devout followers.  it is worth watching for the panel reaction, if you can FF through the Bannon parts.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Blech. I have zero interest in watching that slimeball Bannon. I'm disappointed Ari/MSNBC is wasting airtime on him.

Yeah, I'm with you.  I even had to quickly turn off the previews of him.  The sight of him makes me nauseous -- he always looks like he's got flies buzzing around him.  Ew.  I refuse to listen to ANYTHING he has to say.  I think this is actually promoting him, which I find annoying as hell.

Btw, if LOD wanted to interview him, I have no doubt he would have.  Ari seems to get off on interviewing these kinda characters.  He loves interviewing Sam Nunberg -- and I'll pass on watching him ever either.  I'm very on & off with Ari.  But I have to say -- interviewing Bannon leaves me pissed off at Ari.  If LOD passed on it, I adore him even more.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Btw, if LOD wanted to interview him, I have no doubt he would have.  Ari seems to get off on interviewing these kinda characters.  He loves interviewing Sam Nunberg -- and I'll pass on watching him ever either.  I'm very on & off with Ari.  But I have to say -- interviewing Bannon leaves me pissed off at Ari.  If LOD passed on it, I adore him even more.

I'm on and off with Ari, too.  My biggest issue with him is that he thinks he's "edgy." There are times when he gets this crazed look in his eyes and he's blinking like he's about to explode.  He's strange.  And don't even get me started on his wannabe rapper persona.

I don't think Lawrence would have interviewed Bannon either. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, gatopretoNYC said:

It was disappointing and I refused to watch Sloppy Steve.  

• Love 3

I have to say that Avenatti is being very smart by being subdued, and handing credit to Stormy Daniels for being willing to step forward.  "Second quarter of a four-quarter game," he said twice on Lawrence's show, and I think he plans a few touchdowns in the second half.  

Jill Wine-Banks's pin tonight was a pen, which she said on twitter could represent "Cohen signing a plea deal, Manafort signing back in to jail and Trump thinking about signing pardons to save himself".  It must be so amazing for her to have Watergate over forty years in the rearview mirror, and to find herself in the center of commentary on such a presidential series of courtroom and plea scenarios.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Lawrence is the president of the Avenatti fan club tonight.  I’d like to apply to be, maybe, secretary or something. 

I love Michael Avenatti, but even I thought Lawrence's tongue bathing of him last night was a bit much. "Where would we be if you hadn't taken the case?" said with such an adoring gaze that it made me laugh. But I do get LOD's overall point. A less skilled attorney wouldn't have been nearly as effective at moving things along the way MA has. He knows how to play the game, and how to damage his opponents.

"We're coming for him." Probably the four scariest words trump heard all day, on a day that was nothing but bad news for him.

• Love 13

I love it when David Cay Johnston is a guest on the show; I count the seconds until he calls the president "Donald", and tonight it was about 22 seconds.  It is so disrespectful, and makes me laugh every time.   

• Love 7