Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just heard that Lawrence will be on tonight, too.  Saturday night 10pm regular time.

Lawrence was on this afternoon with Brian Williams when Sean Spicer had that "breaking news" that the media is lying about the crowd size at the inauguration.  It has started already.

Edited by SierraMist
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

I just heard that Lawrence will be on tonight, too.  Saturday night 10pm regular time.

Lawrence was on this afternoon with Brian Williams when Sean Spicer had that "breaking news" that the media is lying about the crowd size at the inauguration.  It has started already.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, then Lawrence came back with facts and figures about past crowds.  I couldn't believe when Spicer reading from his captor's note information said, "It had the biggest audience, both in person and on television, in history!"  Lie big or you'll be fired, Sean.

That press briefing was notable for the flop sweat. Oh and for the press secretary not taking any questions. Signs of things to come.  Stay strong, Lawrence.

• Love 5

I like Lawrence and his show, but, my God, what is his freaking obsession with repeating "the biscuit" over and over and over again? We get it: You were/are an insider and know a bit of jargon about presidential nuclear powers. That doesn't mean that you have to find every possible excuse to interject the phrase into any discussion even remotely related to the presidency.

• Love 1

Until Lawrence explained last night that it was the voter's responsibility (or if someone died, then their family, custodian, executor, etc) to notify the election board to remove their name from the records, I had no idea.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, stormy said:

Until Lawrence explained last night that it was the voter's responsibility (or if someone died, then their family, custodian, executor, etc) to notify the election board to remove their name from the records, I had no idea.

I've lived in 5 states over the years and had no idea I was supposed to notify election boards for myself, let alone deceased relatives.  I always learn something on this show.

• Love 1

I bet people are just clamoring to find out about all those people who have moved so they can vote more than once (snark).  Since you have to show id now in almost every state, Trump's claim is beyond ludicrous.  It shows how really thin skinned he is, but it's also distracting from the really outrageous, dangerous stuff he is saying and doing.      

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I bet people are just clamoring to find out about all those people who have moved so they can vote more than once (snark).  Since you have to show id now in almost every state, Trump's claim is beyond ludicrous.  It shows how really thin skinned he is, but it's also distracting from the really outrageous, dangerous stuff he is saying and doing.      

This, and his claim that every single 3.5-5m illegal/dead voter voted for Hillary - conveniently putting him ahead in the popular vote.

He can't get over that, can he?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I've lived in 5 states over the years and had no idea I was supposed to notify election boards for myself, let alone deceased relatives.  I always learn something on this show.

Five for me, too.  Had I known I would have voted for Bernie 5 times.  :^) 

18 hours ago, numbersix said:

I like Lawrence and his show, but, my God, what is his freaking obsession with repeating "the biscuit" over and over and over again?

I adore the guy so I cut him slack on that one.  He does over do it.  

• Love 2

When they were talking about how bad Trump has been in dealing with Mexico, I loved Joy Reed when she said (paraphrasing) "maybe he should read The Art of the Deal, the book he didn't actually write".    Trump campaigned so hard on his "Who's going to pay for the wall"?  And the ignorant crowd goes wild as they answer "Mexico!!"   Yes, dumb people, you the taxpayer, are going to pay for the wall. 

I agree about Lawrence making me feel better.  After Rachel scares the crap out of me, there's something soothing about Lawrence that is just what I need before bedtime.  I can't be bothered to watch Brian Williams and usually switch over to my local news so I can see the weather.   I sleep much better that way.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

When they were talking about how bad Trump has been in dealing with Mexico, I loved Joy Reed when she said (paraphrasing) "maybe he should read The Art of the Deal, the book he didn't actually write".    Trump campaigned so hard on his "Who's going to pay for the wall"?  And the ignorant crowd goes wild as they answer "Mexico!!"   Yes, dumb people, you the taxpayer, are going to pay for the wall. 

I agree about Lawrence making me feel better.  After Rachel scares the crap out of me, there's something soothing about Lawrence that is just what I need before bedtime.  I can't be bothered to watch Brian Williams and usually switch over to my local news so I can see the weather.   I sleep much better that way.  

Yes.  I like to hear the last news of the day delivered by Lawrence's calm comforting manner.  He can speak of the daily horror with an ever so slight smile.  He doesn't have to rail or raise his voice, his expression says it all.  This is ridiculous. 

I must have fallen asleep, I missed Joy.  That is very funny! 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Love the analogy,  Trump is the dog that caught the car.  Ha

Yes, and now he doesn't know what to do.  

I loved the big sign that Lawrence had over his shoulder during his first segment.  "Little Donald"  He looked little in his twitter war with the Mexican President.  And now, of course, Trump's staff had to bail him out and co-ordinate a joint statement with the Mexican President's staff.  And he looked little next to Theresa May as he dodged the question about sanctions against Russia and she very definitively spoke up about why sanctions were necessary.  Little Donald.  I love Lawrence!

• Love 5

Our Lawrence is sly - meant in the best possible way.  He's absolutely right that Little Donald cannot stand to be ridiculed.  A lot of people attribute LD's animus to the time when Obama roasted LD, and LD sat there stony-faced while everyone else laughed.

Go Lawrence!  Keep shooting those arrows like Legolas!  You know how to get under his skin.

• Love 3

I love that David Corn is on Lawrence almost every night still talking about the important Trump stuff, not just the diversion of the day.  He always bring it back to, where are his taxes which would show his conflicts of interest, what's going on with the Russian hacking investigation, what does Russia have on Trump?  I wonder how thoroughly the Russian hacking investigation is being done, since I think Republicans are in charge of it.

And none of the guests seemed to be clear on what putting Iran "on notice" even means.

• Love 3

I like when John Heileman is on as a guest.  They were talking about the leaks coming out of the White House and John made the point that it seems like half of the leaks are from people who are trying to rein in Trump (since he gets all his information from television) and the other half of the leaks are from people who really want the outside world to know whats going on. 

When Lawrence showed Trump at his prayer breakfast, I had to laugh when Trump said he grew up in a "churched house."  And then he said to the chaplain "I don't know if you're appointed or not.  The hell with it, I'll appoint you for a year."  As Lawrence said, even a polite atheist probably would not have said that at a prayer breakfast.  Gotta love Lawrence.  His show is the only one where I saw that part of Trump's ridiculous comments.

• Love 5

What a total disgrace that the idiot in charge doesn't even know how to act at something called a "prayer breakfast".

And to ask for prayers for Arnold wasn't bad enough, he says "I hope to be back seven more times". 

I'm praying for all of us that never comes to fruition.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, stormy said:

What a total disgrace that the idiot in charge doesn't even know how to act at something called a "prayer breakfast".

And to ask for prayers for Arnold wasn't bad enough, he says "I hope to be back seven more times". 

I'm praying for all of us that never comes to fruition.

The majority of the country is praying that he doesn't.

• Love 3

He knew we'd worry.

Lawrence O'DonnellVerified account‏@Lawrence

I'm taking the week off. I haven't been disappeared by Putin. Or anyone else.

Edited by car54
  • Love 5

He mentioned last week that he'd be off, but I'm glad he tweeted, too, because I forgot.  And in these times, it's not a given that someone as vocal as he is about his views wouldn't be "disappeared" by MSNBC or otherwise.

• Love 1

Car54 thanks for letting us know that Lawrence hasn't mysteriously disappeared.  A well deserved vacation.  Although he was on last night for part of the segment.  I like Ari, too, and it's a good time for him to be subbing with all the legal stuff going on.

• Love 1

I saw Ari, as well as Nicolle Wallace, on The Today Show this morning while at the gym.

Nicolle looked like she was trying to keep a straight face while explaining that voters are very forgiving and if trump wants to get some of those in the middle to support him, he's going to have to soften some of his views. 

Yeah, good luck with that.

58 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm a new watcher of this show, and I've only see L O'D himself anchor it twice now. I realize he was off for a week, but it seems like it's been more than that. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

Hi @possibilities, and welcome to the board.  While I am probably Ms. Rumor Central, I haven't heard anything about him having issues with the network, ala Donahue or Olbermann.  Maybe he's taking a well-deserved break from the current news carnival.

Stay tuned for updates.

13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Since Tamron has some extra free time maybe she and he took a vacation.

Are you starting a rumor, or is there something to this that I didn't know about?

I know it's really non of our business, but I wish they'd explain his absence a little (vacation, minor surgery, flu????)

I hope that's the reason--that they're on a great vacation after Tamron was dropped from the Today Show.. Good to know not to expect him on Monday. Ari's okay, but I need my daily dose of reserved Trumphate that LOD does so well. I was looking forward to him being back Monday. ("Sad!")

• Love 3

Lawrence will be back on Monday. https://twitter.com/Lawrence/status/832764343003410433
"Needed a bit of follow-up surgery on some bones I broke few years ago. I will be back @TheLastWord on Monday. Can't wait!"

From Ari Melber https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/832808884326846464
"Thanks to @TheLastWord team and viewers this week - and stop by for our special Sunday Prime coverage at 6pm ET!"

Edited by sum
  • Love 4

I don't appreciate hype.  Oh, horrors, we have a Fox News contributor who's been fired for his views!  I was worried there that it might be Shep Smith after his comments the other day, although I thought if that had happened it would have made news on its own.  No, it's George Will, who was not fired, but merely has had his contract not renewed.  And as much as LOD desperately tried to get him to diss Faux News, he wouldn't do it.  Please just interview someone straight up and let the responses speak for themselves, instead of trying to force context where none exists.

18 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

All's right with the world - LOD is back & he hasn't lost his total distain for that man in the White House - only one month in & LOD is talking about the 25th amendment & how the VP can take over - love it!!

I'm ashamed to admit it, but right now I live for LOD's disdain of the current mis-administration.  When so many others are rolling over on their yellow bellies and drinking the Fool-Aid, LOD is keeping it real.  His sense of outrage and refusal to normalize what is going on are greatly appreciated.

• Love 5

LOD is keeping me sane.  But he can't take any more time off!  Too much happens with this administration that is crazy, so I need the balance that LOD provides.  I love that he calls a lie a lie, rather than pussyfooting around "falsehoods" or the other weasel words the media uses to describe lies.  And I'm glad he called Trump out on saying that the media is the enemy of the people.  Trump projects a lot.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, izabella said:

LOD is keeping me sane....  I love that he calls a lie a lie, rather than pussyfooting around "falsehoods" or the other weasel words the media uses to describe lies.  And I'm glad he called Trump out on saying that the media is the enemy of the people.  Trump projects a lot.

"Weasel words."  I love it.  This is the single most thing that makes me crazy with people.  The English language is rich in words that describe precisely any given situation, so I don't appreciate it when the media doesn't take advantage of its arsenal.  A lie is a lie is a lie.  Please and thank you.

• Love 4

Will lost me when he referred to Paul Ryan as some kind of genius. Uh, no, not even close. The orange one is awful, but that doesn't make those around him look any better by comparison. Ryan is still a pustule.

Great to have Lawrence back, but he needs to choose his guests more carefully.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Will lost me when he referred to Paul Ryan as some kind of genius. Uh, no, not even close.

George Will is a smart man and has been around the block a long time, but this was a really dumb thing to say.  The only things Ryan is a genius at are getting donations from insurance companies to fund his campaigns, and pulling the wool over his constituents' eyes so they don't notice that his main platform and reason for living is to eventually take away their health care, Medicare and Social Security. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3

George Will is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, and if he is considered the natural successor to William F. Buckley, then yeah, he's going to think Young Paul Ryan is a (misunderstood, under-appreciated) genius.

Apart from baseball I've always thought his views are conservatively bonkers, but he is consistent with them, and unlike most GOPers, he has the guts to be anti-Trump.

• Love 5