Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, car54 said:

No Lawrence tonight.....Ali Velshi is filling in.

Thanks!  I'd guess Lawrence will be out until after Labor Day.

This Friday might look like a Works Project Act for the guest hosts on the news shows. Lots of gigs! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Thanks for the heads up ... won't be watching!!!

It was actually a good show! Austan Goolsbee at the end about the Mexico trade proposal, and good earlier interviews on the trials and possible plea deals.  

Edited by freddi
Name spelling corrected!
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, freddi said:

It was actually a good show! Austin Goolsby at the end about the Mexico trade proposal, and good earlier interviews on the trials and possible plea deals.  

Thanks for the info., but I've had a snoot full of Ali, even though I like him.  Just in small doses!!!

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Thanks for the info., but I've had a snoot full of Ali, even though I like him.  Just in small doses!!!

Oh, I get that!  Same here.  I had the channel on for Rachel and let it keep going in the background, so was more focused on the guests than Ali. 

He is working hard, though, early in the day and late.  I don't mind as much when he fills in for Lawrence-- just don't like him as a Rachel replacement. 

• Love 2

Maybe Lawrence just wanted Monday off because he worked last Friday.

In his handover with Rachel, he not only said it's Kornacki Night in America, but that the later it gets, the more excited Kornacki gets.  I agree, but the difference between LOD and me is that I don't think it's a good thing.  The guy clearly is knowledgable, but the mania is unwatchable.  So as I said elsewhere, come Election Night, it's gonna have to be CNN for me.

• Love 4

Yes, I was too quick to assume that Lawrence would be off all week!  (There are so many guest hosts all day!) 

And I have to agree with his assessment of Kornacki getting more excited as the evening goes on.  But then, he crashes, and does not sleep, but still goes on the morning shows.  This morning he was like a balloon with most of the air escaped, and looked like New Orleans on Ash Wednesday.  Just bedraggled.  No arm waving. 

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Maybe Lawrence just wanted Monday off because he worked last Friday.

In his handover with Rachel, he not only said it's Kornacki Night in America, but that the later it gets, the more excited Kornacki gets.  I agree, but the difference between LOD and me is that I don't think it's a good thing.  The guy clearly is knowledgable, but the mania is unwatchable.  So as I said elsewhere, come Election Night, it's gonna have to be CNN for me.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2018 at 12:46 AM, freddi said:

Oh, I get that!  Same here.  I had the channel on for Rachel and let it keep going in the background, so was more focused on the guests than Ali. 

He is working hard, though, early in the day and late.  I don't mind as much when he fills in for Lawrence-- just don't like him as a Rachel replacement. 

I think Rachel's show format with her long pieces is hard for most of the hosts.   When Joy Reid does it--she looks exhausted at the end of the show--Joy is someone who gets energized by having a panel and interacting with others, and Rachel's show is .....mostly Rachel.   She's a hard act to follow.
I wonder if Ali works a lot because I think he lives in NY during the week and his wife lives in PA for her job so I bet he is willing to cover more because he has some time if he's on his own.     

I think Lawrence's format is easier for most of the people who cover for him because it's more like their regular MSNBC shows with a list of guests that can carry some of the show.

They are really making Kornaki mania a thing --I usually don't mind him that much but as we get close to November I suspect I'm going to be tired of him.   Maybe he will take some time off for a book tour--his book comes out in October.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, car54 said:

I think Lawrence's format is easier for most of the people who cover for him because it's more like their regular MSNBC shows with a list of guests that can carry some of the show.

Most of the time Lawrence runs clip after clip and just asks his panel to comment on what they heard (which they undoubtedly heard at least eight times before coming on the air, because I know I have).  He has too many guests in too little time.  The other night--I can't remember which one--he took his time with the panel, using a minimum of clips, and it was really good.  

I was thinking about how LOD compares to some of the CNN shows, like AC360, and while Anderson Cooper seems often to lose control over his too-large group of guests, the reason they're out of control is that there's usually a divergence of opinion.  I wish LOD would sometimes try to have guests who aren't just repeating what he's just said.  Occasionally George Will gently disagrees, but otherwise, they just reinforce the same talking points.

Both LOD and Chris Hayes try to squeeze in too many guests and have a separate panel for each topic, when the same three or four people could be used for multiple discussions, leading to more continuity and less time introducing the speakers.

When it comes to expressing righteous indignation, however, LOD is unsurpassed.

• Love 7

Ugh.  All the worst Lawrence instincts on display in the first 3/4 of his show.  Begin by repeating the same theme as the night before, providing no new information.  And make sure it's a juicy but ultimately irrelevant topic--let's guess the identity of the anonymous op-ed writer.  Then, follow with extensive clips of 45 and ask the guests to respond to what they see. 

I think in some ways Lawrence suffers by having the last spot in prime time.  By the time he comes on, the vast majority of news of the day is old and has already been hashed out by everyone else.  

Except that none of them actually cover the news of the day.  Lawrence generally covers only one or two topics, as do most of the others.  There is a lot more news than that, so much going on in Congress, actions of the Cabinet, decisions about Syria, etc.  Yesterday, for example, there were Congressional hearings with FB and Twitter on their efforts so far to reduce foreign influence on our elections and safeguarding data, the US intercepted a Russian nuclear bomber near Alaska, House Republicans are considering a proposal to punish House Republicans who don't vote along party lines by removing them from Committees, and House Dems accused the Republicans of blocking investigations of the admnistration's response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.  We didn't hear about it from LOD, or anyone.

• Love 4

I'm surprised there hasn't been more traffic on this site.  I love how Lawrence has been covering the Kavanaugh fiasco.  Lawrence played all the clips of Kavanaugh's completely rehearsed answers to his sham interview on Fox.  He said the same two things over and over no matter what he was asked.  And tonight Lawrence showed him in another lie, when Kavanaugh said some of the senior boys in high school were 18 and could legally buy beer.  According to Lawrence the legal age to buy beer then was 21.  And then Kavanaugh volunteered the information he was a virgin all through high school and for many years after that.  Maybe he was (and maybe not), but he seems to have engaged in a lot of inappropriate, drunken frat boy behavior, even sexual assault.  I hope Lawrence is right that they probably don't have the votes they need to confirm him to the supreme court.  

• Love 8

Yeah.  I watch the show every night.  Guess we're a boring bunch!

I think Lawrence thinks that if one of the republicans on the fence (Flake, Murkowski or Collins) votes no, others that are not known to be on the fence will follow.

Why do I have so little faith in these people?  Is Collins that gullible that she believes Kavanaugh when he told her he wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v Wade?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, stormy said:

I think Lawrence thinks that if one of the republicans on the fence (Flake, Murkowski or Collins) votes no, others that are not known to be on the fence will follow.

Why do I have so little faith in these people?  Is Collins that gullible that she believes Kavanaugh when he told her he wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v Wade?

Collins is just plain gutless!!!  Period!!  I would keel over if she didn't vote for him!!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, stormy said:

I'm skeptical about all of the republicans.  They always fall in line no matter what they say beforehand.  

Isn't Lawrence on tonight?  They are calling his segment something else.  

• Love 2

Friday night's show was one of the best LOD shows I can remember (other than the ones he does when he shows his trips to deliver desks).

The two women Lawrence spoke with who had come forward to disagree with Kavanaugh's narrative on Fox News about not being a drinker and to tell their stories about knowing him at that age were amazing.

What I loved about them was that they were so calm and fair and made it so clear that their intention was NOT to sensationalize the situation, but rather they took this appointment seriously--and the last woman who said that she spoke out because she feels so strongly that truth in our public discourse is SO important and if we cannot believe what a Supreme Court Justice tells us, all is lost.

After a horrible 2 days of anger and hatred and finger pointing to hear these two normal everyday women speak like that was so damn inspiring--it, along with the compromise that the committee came to yesterday--give me a little bit of hope.    Lawrence's perspective on this current situation is so valuable because of his long history working in government--that I really enjoyed his show last night.

• Love 10

Again Lawrence gets the best guests.  Two women from Alaska who went to Washington to meet with Senator Murkowski.

Also, Lawrence's, what I would call, the history of the US Senate, was well done.  I learned a lot.

• Love 5

I wasn't going to watch any cable news shows after that vote yesterday...it made my heart hurt.  Instead I watched baseball with Mr. Kemper (who was as torn apart as I was).  For some reason I tuned in to Lawrence about 15 minutes after it started.  He was doing a wonderful interview with The Ladies.  At some point after that, he gave us and the cameras a small talk about the history of the senate.  For some reason it moved me both to tears and it soothed my heart.  I was relieved of a good bit of my anger and angst...and it made me want to keep on keeping on.  It was a master class in how a reporter/newsman can have such a positive impact on such a dark day.  

• Love 6
On 10/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, Kemper said:

I wasn't going to watch any cable news shows after that vote yesterday...it made my heart hurt.  Instead I watched baseball with Mr. Kemper (who was as torn apart as I was).  For some reason I tuned in to Lawrence about 15 minutes after it started.  He was doing a wonderful interview with The Ladies.  At some point after that, he gave us and the cameras a small talk about the history of the senate.  For some reason it moved me both to tears and it soothed my heart.  I was relieved of a good bit of my anger and angst...and it made me want to keep on keeping on.  It was a master class in how a reporter/newsman can have such a positive impact on such a dark day.  

I watch most nights and I find that Chris Hayes and Rachel both get me wired up and Lawrence, even when he's angry will somehow calm me down.

I really was glad to see Nadya.   He's had her before and she is always a good interview.   When I think of all we go through in our country for the last 2 years, I think about what people like her have gone through for years in their country.   Puts things in perspective and makes me want to fight more.

• Love 2

Jill Wine-Banks had on a blue wave button last night. Very cute. God, I hope the tide hasn't changed.

Also, thankfully Lawrence (and Rachel) never show clips of trump screaming vile lies at his rallies with his minions laughing and clapping.

They talk about him but I appreciate that they give him zero air time.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, stormy said:

Jill Wine-Banks had on a blue wave button last night. Very cute. God, I hope the tide hasn't changed.

Also, thankfully Lawrence (and Rachel) never show clips of trump screaming vile lies at his rallies with his minions laughing and clapping.

They talk about him but I appreciate that they give him zero air time.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon.  After 20 minutes of muting last night's show, I turned it off.

Last night's show.  Jill Wine-Banks and Nick Ackerman.  I love how they try to frame this in Watergate terms. But the thing is, I still don't think Watergate came anywhere near this.

I sort of get mad at Lawrence when he starts the show with how trump either won't run in 2020 or will loose. 

Lawrence. You said those same things in 2012 and 2016.

• Love 4

Adding to my post above.

On last night's show Lawrence said he just never thought trump was stupid enough to run considering his past. Lawrence said it's always been money, greed and sex for trump.

Lawrence said, I guess I was wrong. He was stupid enough.

• Love 3
On 11/30/2018 at 9:50 AM, stormy said:

On last night's show Lawrence said he just never thought trump was stupid enough to run considering his past. Lawrence said it's always been money, greed and sex for trump.

It was fame, money, and sex. Can't forget the fame. :)

• Love 2

Tonight’s show featured a great exchange of Warren Zevon lyrics between Ari Melber and Rep. Steve Cohen. The Congressman started it, Ari countered, then was impressed when Cohen went deep with a lyric referencing Russians. Very fun!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, izabella said:

It was a great interview!  I completely believe McCabe.  He is very credible, and is a serious person with some very serious and frightening things to say.

There is a lot of chatter on MSNBC as well as CNN about Andy McCabe not having been truthful regarding the IG report. Of which I admit I know nothing about.

However what could he possibly have to gain by falsifying and of the facts?

9 hours ago, stormy said:

Lawrence's interview with Andy McCabe (one of several I've already seen) was probably the best.

LOD had the benefit of having seen so many of the other interviews, so he was smart and didn't ask the same things everyone else did.  And he kept his OTT editorial commenting ("the MOST xxxx in history!" -- which is one of the things that annoys me when he runs his talking head panels) out of the discussion.  I agree that he did a good job.

• Love 1

I was surprised at how long the technical difficulties at the start of tonight's show were allowed to go on for. Joy waving at Rachel did make me laugh a little because they each looked kinda sad once they realized they weren't going to be able to talk to each other. When they took Rachel off camera a bit of audio still got through and she said something about there not being a crossover. 

My other thought about what happened tonight is that the show staff should be glad it happened with Joy and not Lawrence. I still remember that video of Lawrence raising his voice which is the nice way to put it when there were technical issues and something happening in a neighboring studio. He didn't do any of his raised voice talking on air though. My use of 'raising his voice' was me trying to say yelling even though that's what happened. It was sound issues that time too. Here's the full 8 minutes of that meltdown on Mediaite's site that can't be embedded.

Donny Deutsch, making his Cohen rounds, landed on The Last Word tonight. After giving paragraphs and reams of answers he was asked if a pardon was discussed/offered. His response: I can't speak to that. Translation: Yes, definitely. LOL, thank you, Donny!

I feel bad saying what I'm about to. The woman who was on in the last segment had a mark on her forehead that was distracting me from what she was saying. I'm not sure if it was a birthmark, mole or something else.

I wish Lawrence would stop saying "special prosecutor" instead of "special counsel"; it may seem like a nitpick, but it undermines his credibility because they are called by different titles for a reason, which is to highlight that they operate under different laws.