Type keyword(s) to search

The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Discuss The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell Here!

Political commentary from either The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell or any related PTV editorial piece is fine to be discussed in this forum.

However, posts that contain personal political views will be subject to moderation.

This directive is purposely broad because anytime hard lines are drawn in the sand and/or examples are given, some will use it as an opportunity to walk too close to the line, or even put a toe over it.

Please remember, mods are only human, and sometimes stuff will slip through the net. So if you see a post that violates the above, please do not respond - use the report button.

If you have a question on any of this, please PM your moderator, @Saoirse

Thanks.

• Love 1

Lawrence was my first political tv boyfriend back in 1992 (yes, I'm old) when he was on Comedy Central during their election coverage with Al Franken. He can get a bit ponderous but but he's so smart.

• Love 3

Apologies in advance for focusing on superficial and not content...I've historically avoided the news when I can. However, I've watched a bit more during this election. I caught Lawrence commenting during the conventions (having not seen him before) and thought he looks kind of like Colin Firth. Anyone else ever think so?

Lawrence cracks me up - his total distain of Donald makes the whole show worth watching

The compilation video of Trump sniffing & snorting at the debate was a riot - too bad none of the mainstream stations showed it - loved the comment "didn't anyone teach him how to breathe?"

• Love 1

Lawrence's interview with Wayne Barrett of The Village Voice said it all.

trump has been running for president for 30 years and displayed his gross sexual predatory behavior the whole time.

For one, Jeb Bush had raised $100 million before he announced his presidential run but his team was so weak they couldn't have spent some of it to do opposition research on this sleazebag?

• Love 5

I'm so happy there is a forum for LOD.  I was gone for a week so I have to catch up.  Didn't it look like he was getting choked up trying to read the rest of the NYT article about Trump and he went to Ana Marie Cox to to take up some air time. I know his hatred of Trump goes deep.  He was commenting on all the Trump lies long before anyone else was.  He is one person I will not blame for the rise of Trump.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, car54 said:

I wish Lawrence would have the 3 women that he's had on his panel the past 2 nights back once a week--they were exceptional.

That's a great panel. They were on last week as well.

• Love 1

I finally caught up with his Friday night show.  I had previously seen the woman with Gloria Allred who was trying to get a job with Trump and described how he acted inappropriately towards her.  But I had never seen the part where she explained that Trump gave her advice on putting her mortgage into default and scamming the bank.  Pure Trump.  I loved that Lawrence showed that part to lend credibility to her claim that it was Trump she was talking about.

• Love 5

I'm about to go to bed, but thank you, Lawrence, for reminding viewers on how Drumpf has been changing the subject to a rigged election meme to deflect the media from focusing on the sexual assault issue.

Even his mail order bride has gotten in on the act.  She's not only blaming Billy Bush for "egging" her husband on, but she incredibly claims that these women coming forward is some kind of coordinated effort and that they had no evidence.

• Love 4

Loved how LOD kept referring to the CNN interview as a soft interview - no hard questions asked - no push on the answers not given

It would be great entertainment to watch Donald, Melania, his children sit down with someone who can actually hammer them for answers & not let it go until an acceptable response is given

BTW - with all the talk of the rigged election - how will Donald explain it if he actually wins?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

BTW - with all the talk of the rigged election - how will Donald explain it if he actually wins?

Please, no offense meant, but could you wash out your mouth with soap, lol.

• Love 4

Thanks for not taking offense. 

Well Lawrence didn't actually have a show last night, but he was there for some of the commentary (not nearly enough in my opinion).  I wish he would be part of the main panel.  His analysis always seems more insightful to me than what the regulars have to offer, even Rachel (although I love her too).  I can't wait for his regular show tonight.

• Love 2

I like how Lawrence puts things into perspective.  I had the same thought, that all this handwringing over Trump possibly not conceding is much ado about nothing.  It's a way for him to keep himself in the news.  Who cares if he concedes or not.  The winner is the winner. And Lawrence is right, his followers will go back to the complaining about the government that they always do and will continue to do no matter who won.

• Love 4

Wow, Krystal Ball was back tonight.

There was a point a few years ago that she essentially became Lawrence's co-host (before she joined MSNBC's version of The Five).

I didn't hate her, but it just annoyed me that she would be on the first segment of the show every night.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:42 AM, Marathonrunner said:

Loved how LOD kept referring to the CNN interview as a soft interview - no hard questions asked - no push on the answers not given

It would be great entertainment to watch Donald, Melania, his children sit down with someone who can actually hammer them for answers & not let it go until an acceptable response is given

I loved that, too, because it was. Anderson Cooper gets away with a lot of lousy journalism because he's likeable. But if that's how you're going to interview someone about her husband's scandal, you should refuse the job.

I enjoyed tonight with him showing the moving Khizr Khan campaign ad for Hillary--and how impressed Michael Moore was by it, even as a piece of filmmaking. (And ITA they should have taken "all those graphics" off the screen so we could see it as intended. Surely they don't -have- to have the show's name up and a big identifying caption under the photo. That said, I appreciated LOD showing it and hearing their comments about Khan which I completely agree with. He is SO decent and projects such compassion and integrity--the opposite of Trump in every way.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Wow, Krystal Ball was back tonight.

There was a point a few years ago that she essentially became Lawrence's co-host (before she joined MSNBC's version of The Five).

I didn't hate her, but it just annoyed me that she would be on the first segment of the show every night.

11 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I was surprised to see Krystal Ball again, too.  I thought she was on CNN for a while.  This is the first time I've seen her back at MSNBC.

I honestly thought that was a forum nickname. 

But Krystal Ball lives. And breathes and reports.

Never heard of her but I don't catch much afternoon news and wasn't as attached to the news then as I am now. 

Hope she's better than she reads.

If LOD had her on she must know something?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I honestly thought that was a forum nickname. 

But Krystal Ball lives. And breathes and reports.

Never heard of her but I don't catch much afternoon news and wasn't as attached to the news then as I am now. 

Hope she's better than she reads.

If LOD had her on she must know something?

she was on AM Joy this morning as well.  

I know who Krystal is, but she wasn't memorable...

• Love 2

Lawrence had a lawyer on (Lawrence Tribe?) who said he and other lawyers are willing to defend the Trump accusers pro bono because someone needs to let that rich bully know he can't get away with silencing people by threatening to sue them.  Trump probably will not follow through anyway, but I'm so glad he can't keep intimidating his victims.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

Lawrence had a lawyer on (Lawrence Tribe?) who said he and other lawyers are willing to defend the Trump accusers pro bono because someone needs to let that rich bully know he can't get away with silencing people by threatening to sue them.  Trump probably will not follow through anyway, but I'm so glad he can't keep intimidating his victims.

I only saw the last part, but yes, it was Tribe (Obama and Cruz's Harvard Law professor--he probably said that--and, in his younger years, considered a foremost liberal pick for the SC).  The part I saw was amazing! Tribe organizing with other lawyers to reassure any victims who come forward that they can count on legal representation, free of charge.

I just love that so much. Because you know that (1) Trump is lying and (2) he's threatening to sue "after the election" (lol) because he wants to intimidate any more women from coming forward--and remind them just how rich and powerful HE is and how he can destroy them in court (and in the court of public opinion, where he's already called them "liars" many times over).

I also loved that Tribe said they could counter-sue him for defamation.  And I felt better--in the hideous chance he might actually win--that Tribe and other lawyers are already planning ways to legally check his power, especially because--think of it!--if he won, a man like Donald Trump would control both Houses of Congress and have a conservative majority on the Supreme Court. That is terrifying. But knowing lawyers like that are ready for him is very reassuring!

• Love 6

That was a relief to see the # of lawyers who would help out the "liars" in a suit against Trump - nothing he says ever makes sense to me - how can he claim none of this happened & he has no idea who these women are? Can't you just look up dates, places, times in calendars & events & find out if he was there at the same time as these women? That won't prove he did anything but at least they were in the same place at the same time & take it from there

It was also quite amusing to see how proud LOD was of making the NYT list of folks that Trump has made disparaging remarks about - love it!!

• Love 3

I found it interesting that LOD made the list twice but Rachel wasn't on there at all.  Rachel is just nicer, I guess.  Lawrence really took it as a badge of honor.  And I have to say, Lawrence called out the Trump lies from the very beginning, even when the rest of the media was still fawning over him and hanging on his every word.

• Love 7

I love that Lawrence got to play the clip of Megyn Kelly and Newt Gingrich, the serial wife cheater.  She was so professional throughout and he was a ranting fool.  It was wonderful, and I hope all the Republican women who usually watch Fox saw it.

• Love 3

I loved that LOD played it yesterday and again today. Kelly's taking a lot of flak for it from Fox devotees, but she acquitted herself very well. I did agree with whoever said he thought it was a prearranged tantrum from Trump and Gingrich to take some heat off Trump about the abuse (it failed).  They really should show the bus confession some more though. It seems to be fading from public memory (as everything about Trump does within a couple of days, apparently.)  Benghazi and email, however live on forever....

• Love 3

This guy talking about the poll from Florida has got the worst rug in the history of fake hair.  That can't be his actual hair, can it? 

Perhaps I'm being unfairly influenced by the fact that he has the same hair style as my Aunt June.  An OK look on a 72 year old woman, not so much on a 40-something guy.

Edited by Calvada

Tom Bonier, CEO, Targetsmart, just said 28% of Republicans in Florida are voting for HRC.  He predicts HRC will win Florida by 8%.  

I didn't actually care about his hair.  I loved what he was saying.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 3

I too liked what Tom Bonier was saying, although I got a little nervous when he admitted it was such a small sample size they weren't able to draw any conclusions about the Hispanic/Cuban vote.  Made me wonder just how small the sample size was. 

• Love 1

I just hope nobody's lying to the pollsters.  

I thought what he was saying was that by tomorrow they could have 4 million voters, so that there was no problem with their sample size.      I'm not sure I understand why they don't know what the Latino vote is.   I will be interested in what they publish tomorrow morning.

• Love 1

That was great news about Florida.  I hope it's accurate.  A part of me is still a little skeptical.  

On another subject, I'm so glad that Lawrence is still following what's happening with the the Dakota Pipeline.  He's the only one doing that, I think, and I find it just as important as other news they cover.  It isn't all about the election.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

That was great news about Florida.  I hope it's accurate.  A part of me is still a little skeptical.

I wish he would stop saying that "Clinton has won Florida". She can't fucking win Florida - or any state - until the polls close on November 8th.  I do not want potential Hillary voters staying home because they think their votes won't matter.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, SierraMist said:

On another subject, I'm so glad that Lawrence is still following what's happening with the the Dakota Pipeline.  He's the only one doing that, I think, and I find it just as important as other news they cover.  It isn't all about the election.

Exactly.  I can't help but recall the round-the-clock coverage the Bundy gang of thugs received for days compared to the Dakota Pipeline story.  Not only are the protesters being treated inconsistently by law enforcement, but the mainstream media can't be bothered.  That is, of course, unless there is a riot or some other kind of violence that they can breathlessly talk about for days on end.

• Love 6

Last night's show:  Katie Packer's hatred of trump is about to boil over.  Yay, Katie.

Charlie Sykes remains the happy warrior just waiting to clap his hands in glee when trump crashes and burns.

I hope this turn out the way Lawrence told us it would when for years he said, a man that will never be president.

• Love 3

Lawrence has been after Melania's actual immigration records ever since Trump announced Melania would have "a little press conference" with all of her proper documentation.  He finally got his wish tonight when the AP wrote that she was paid for modeling jobs before she had an actual work visa.   Once Lawrence is on a mission he doesn't give up! 

• Love 2

Lawrence had on two Republicans who voted for Hillary.  I only know David Frum, cant remember the other guys name.  Frum made sure everyone knew he was not really for Hillary, but Trump would be so much worse.  They both agreed that a protest vote would be a vote for Trump.  That's why I found it ironic that Katy Packer (another frequent LOD guest) said she voted for Evan McMullen because he was the only true conservative.  I hate to break it to you, Katy Packer, but you just voted for Trump (she of the never Trump movement). 

I guess Katy Packer wasn't the only one to vote for that man (can't even type his name) whether it was an actual vote for or a vote for someone other than Clinton

Hopefully LOD will just keep doing his job of hammering at the scary & nonsensical events that are bound to happen in the next few years

I'm glad that Lawrence had Doris Kearns Goodwin on to give us her viewpoint how this current event might be seen in a historical context.  Even she seemed to think this election of Trump was unprecedented.   I prefer to listen to her perspective over that of Michael Beschloss, whom Rachel seems to have on all the time.  

Lawrence was the only news host I could bring myself to watch today.

I posted H.L. Mencken's famous quote from 1920 on my Facebook page:

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

What blows my mind to the max, is that it appears nearly half of possible voters didn't show up.  Nice!!

That's what I don't understand either.  Didn't they keep saying the lines (especially in the early voting) were longer than in previous years. And yet, the consensus now is that voter turnout was low .  Was the election rigged?  Sorry, I'm only half kidding.

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Lawrence was the only news host I could bring myself to watch today.

I totally agree with this.  Lawrence is the only one who isn't afraid to say that Trump is still despicable even if he is our new president.

• Love 2