Type keyword(s) to search

Murder On The Orient Express (2017)

starri
  • Start Topic

I always find it interesting to see who gets hung up on small detail changes in adaptations and who doesn't. I'm definitely of the Master Builder* philosophy when it comes to adaptations, and try to take each one on its own merits.

I haven't seen any other adaptations of MotOE other than the Suchet one, but have read the original novel about 50 times; Christie is one of my favourite authors and this is one of her best works. I thought Branaugh and company did a great job. Pfeiffer (unsurprisingly) and Gad (very surprisingly) were probably my favourites. Thought Odom looked like a young Denzel Washington. I didn't miss Dr. Constantine as they folded his most important details into Arbutnoth, but loved the reimagining of M. Bouc.

The adaptation was not as dark as Suchet, although I got into the moodiness of that one - when you consider that entry as part of a larger thematic arc in the last season of the Suchet series leading to the events of Curtain, it makes a lot of sense.

I haven't seen the Ustinov version yet but I'm sure I'd love it based on what I've heard. I'll track it down some day.

Really looking forward to DotN based on what they did here. Sone other Poirot novels I think would be more easily adapted to the big screen:

--The ABC Murders - they could really go big with the public scope on that one. Hastings could be introduced - or maybe just bring back Josh Gad's character to be the sidekick.

--Evil Under the Sun - sun, sea, interesting characters, murder. I've a soft spot for this novel as it was my introduction to Christie.

--Peril at End House - this could be properly atmospheric with some great twists, prominent female roles and, considering the young "fast" set involved, they could make some characters of colour without having to change the story or setting too much.

*as per The Lego Movie

• Love 4

I tried watching this twice. The first time I made it to the murder but I just couldn't take it anymore. The second time I flipped between this and a rerun I've seen two times before. I am deeply disappointed that I hate this movie because I actually like or love most of the cast, I love Agatha Christie, I love the 30s, the clothes, the hair, the setting, and I do think some of it was beautifully shot. It was just so fucking tedious. Clearly a vanity project for Kenneth Brannaugh, despite his not being great in it. It actually breaks my heart to say I thought Michelle Pfeiffer was terrible in this. I've loved her in everything I've seen her in, even Grease 2, for what it was, but she was so...odd in this. Her and Kenneth seemed to acting like they were in a parody while others were acting like they were in a serious drama. It was very disorienting for me. 

I'm just heartbroken because I wanted to be excited about a series of Christie movies but now I have to go back to the classics to get my fix.  

• Love 2
On 8/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, Miss Dee said:

I haven't seen the Ustinov version yet but I'm sure I'd love it based on what I've heard. I'll track it down some day.

There is no Ustinov version, I think you mean the Albert Finney one? Ustinove did do a version of Evil Under the Sun.

I was disappointed in this latest version, while I can get behind some changes in various adaptations this one seemed too far away from the original to really enjoy. I will still watch for DotN to see what they make of that.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 1:23 PM, GaT said:

They changed who the murderer is on a story based on an Agatha Christie novel?????? WTF? 

Ordeal By Innocence is now on Amazon Prime. Here's the trailer:

I liked it. I think the changes work and the new twists make sense to me. The family intrigue and emotional drama is what really drives the miniseries. Great acting from the cast.

• Love 3

Finally saw this on HBO and I really enjoyed it. I has already seen the '74 version with Albert Finney so I know the mystery but, I thought they did a good job with the re-telling. I enjoyed Brannah's Poirot, I think might be my new favorite (it's been Suchet up to now).

I'm not sure if it was my mood while watching but I felt this version was more emotional. The scenes of the plotters watching the old movie of Daisy and her parents really got to me. I also thought Pfieffer's confession scene in the tunnel was beautiful. I also loved the final scene as the train pulled away from Poirot. The 70s version ended on a big celebration, we did it! This version had a somber ending, which i preferred. Did it change anything? Are they really better off now? Will they find, peace/happiness?

Finally, I loved Brannagh's directing. Loved the long trailer shots as the actors moved through the train. I loved how he made the train feel like a character of its own.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, VCRTracking said:

Ordeal By Innocence is now on Amazon Prime. Here's the trailer:

I liked it. I think the changes work and the new twists make sense to me. The family intrigue and emotional drama is what really drives the miniseries. Great acting from the cast.

I watched the first episode of that and I admit I just couldn't get into it.  And Then There Were None was a GREAT adaptation though.

• Love 4

Ugh. I watched it. It was ridiculous. I really don't get these "adaptations" that basically just take the name of the characters, put them in a laundry and spit out a completely unrelated story. Why not just create an original series of "inspired by Christie" stories?

2 hours ago, Katsullivan said:

Ugh. I watched it. It was ridiculous. I really don't get these "adaptations" that basically just take the name of the characters, put them in a laundry and spit out a completely unrelated story. Why not just create an original series of "inspired by Christie" stories?

Pretty much any original murder mystery set in a country estate is Christie-inspired.

I read the book a long time ago and had forgotten who had done it originally. Looking it up after seeing the miniseries I thought it was a very clever(as usual) solution but the twists they came up for the adaptation they did make me rewatch scenes and see them in a different way.

The character of Mary reminded me a LOT of Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones.

Edited by VCRTracking

Kenneth Branagh’s Already Fantastic DEATH ON THE NILE Cast Adds Armie Hammer

Gal Gadot is already in the cast and checking IMDB is playing Linett Doyle.  I've seen the 1978 adaptation and while it's not as great as the 1974 MOTOE Peter Ustinov was a fun Poirot and I liked the cast that included Bette Davis, David Niven, Angela Lansbury, Maggie Smith. Armie Hammer will probably be playing Simon Doyle. I hope he says "Damn it Jackie!" as well as Simon MacCorkindale constantly did in that version! No word who will play Jackie, who was played by Mia Farrow in '78.

Gal Gadot would be a superb Linett Doyle.

You know, it's weird. Linett is blonde in the books, but I can't shake the mental image of her as a tall, aloof brunette. I think it's a hungover from reading Sweet Valley books and Lila Fowler, who has a similar-sounding name.

I waited a long while to see this and really tried to go into it with an open mind, since I found the trailer off putting and very much Christie on 'roids. I don' t mind that this Poirot doesn't have black hair and (truly ridiculous) moustache, neither did Ustinov's. Whom I always found too schlubby for Poirot, to be honest. But then came the chases and physical altercations, and I'm sorry, but what? 

There were some lovely wide shots, the construction of the train so high above ground added nice spookiness to the situation, though I dearly wish they had the train stop somewhere else then, because that is so ridiculous for that region. There's no reason NOT to change that part of the book, it's not like there's any interaction with the locals anyway.