Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Chicanery

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Pickpocket can't fit in a tight space? Huell???

Oh, you know... good guess!  I didn't even think of that when that comment was just made.  I was too engrossed in all the fish care talk.... But you are probably right -- it might be Huell.

• Love 3
(edited)

OMG! That was awesome! Jimmy remembered that Chucky didn't know Rebecca had a phone until it rang. And Huell! I knew it would be him after that "tight places" question. :-) 

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 15

A GREAT hour of television.  It was indeed gratifying to see Jimmy take Chuck down.  Plus, Huell!

I was starting to get tired of Chuck's antics at the end of last season but have always found the relationship between him and Jimmy to be fascinating and this was a culmination of that.

• Love 21

It was well done, but pedestrian. Turned out to be another "you can't handle the truth" moment, subsidized by a simple set up with the battery. I was hoping for something more clever and surprising, that would have shown Jimmy was actually Chuck's equal... or better... at law. Oh well. 

• Love 8

So, Chuck started going crazy after the divorce. The divorce apparently happened before Jimmy passed the bar because Rebecca and Chuck had never discussed it. So, was it a combination of the divorce and Jimmy freeing himself from Chuck's control that made him incapable of working? I can't remember if Chuck was normal the day Jimmy said he was a lawyer.

I assume that Jimmy won't lose his license, but the State Bar probably won't let him off too lightly. The big question is when Jimmy becomes Saul.

• Love 7
(edited)

Is it my imagination, or is Huell a more svelte man in BCS than he was in BB?  He was heavier in BB, wasn't he?  He looked different to me tonight, for some reason.

You could see that Jimmy hated having to stage that whole scenario to expose Chuck.  He didn't want to have to do that to his brother, no matter how much of an ass he is.  It was kind of clear that Jimmy was heading in that direction in the courtroom, but it was no less effective when Chuck pulled the battery out of his pocket in horror.

Who is that tangling with Nacho in the preview for next week?  Is that the guy who was with Hector at Eladio's house last week?

Edited by TVFan17
typo
  • Love 8

So gratifying. Jimmy made it clear to the bar overseers that Chuck did hate him ever since they were little kids and Chuck making it about the rule of law was complete and utter bullshit. Many posters had a feeling that this was the way things were going to go (Jimmy showing that Chuck is the unfit brother) and still it was fantastic.

Huell! I'd recognize that bald head anywhere.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, ketose said:

The big question is when Jimmy becomes Saul.

I think Jimmy has been becoming Saul since episode 1 but we really saw Saul tonight. 

8 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

But, man, that was satisfying, watching Chuck go full on batshit, with Rebecca in the audience.

Couldn't agree more. God, I despise Chuck.

• Love 11
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

Great storytelling by Gilligan and team.

This. I realized something tonight. Before tonight I was on the fence about whether this show was the equal of BB. Its awesome, but is it really BB level? After tonight, I say that I agree with those who say this show is absolutely on par with its predecessor, despite being a very different animal. I realized it tonight because I had a Breaking Bad moment. I binge-watched BB and remember thinking several times, wow, I'm glad I didn't watch this when it was running because if I'd had to wait a week to find out what happens next I would be stressed out all week. 

Tonight, during the commercial break folllowing Jimmy and Kim's conversation at the vending machine, I had that, "OMG, how is this going to go down? Hurry up commercials!" I couldn't wait to see how they were going to do it. They knew they had it, but we didn't know how.

Also, what I appreciated (can't say I loved because it was kind of sad), is that even throughout the hearing, you could see that Jimmy was still conflicted that it was going to have to go down this way. But he also finally, finally, finally realized that there was no other option -- that no matter what he did, Chuck would not stop until he brought him down. I said last season that knowing something and realizing it are two very different things, and it is only when you hit realization do you actually accept things and do what needs to be done -- good, bad, or otherwise -- no matter how it may make you feel -- you know no matter how badly you want it to be different, it just won't ever be, so you do what must be done. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 23
(edited)

As soon as the vet ask if the guy needed to "fit in tight spaces" and Jimmy said no, I so knew it was going to be Huell!  It was great seeing him, even though I could have sworn Jimmy/Saul really didn't know him until he hired him as a bodyguard, so I wonder if that was a bit of a retcon or not.  Either way, it was still fun though.  I wonder if they'll get Kuby/Bill Burr to show up as well.

Good seeing Rebecca again as well.  The whole opening act was another great insight into Chuck.  Even though it was obvious that she would have been understanding and supportive of his condition, he had to go to extravagant links to hide it from her, because he is just that damn prideful.  He was even willing to make himself simply look like an asshole, then tell her the truth, because he thought it would make him look "weak."  Really explains why Chuck is the way he is, and why he pushes those closest to him away.

That said, while I understand him better, I still enjoyed watching Jimmy and Kim make him look like a fool.  Sure, it was dirty and maybe even proved some of his points in some way, but after everything he did, it was time to watch him get outsmarted.  He was so damn sure he had Jimmy where he wanted him, and was so gleeful about it.  Sucks to be you, Chuck.  No matter how this goes, on some levels, the board thinks you are off your rocker now.

While I do think Jimmy won't get disbarred, I do think something will happen that will cause him to adapt the Saul name very soon.

Damn, Harold.  For someone who seems pretty intelligent, you really stepped in it with the whole "nepotism" argument.  Pretty much handed Kim that win.  Still, I thought Kim in general was pretty badass.  She is a hell of a lawyer.  I just hope she comes out ahead in all of this, and doesn't get trapped by the Jimmy/Chuck feud, and Jimmy's eventual descent into Saul.

Didn't mind not seeing Mike or Gus, but hopefully we'll check back in with them soon.

Excellent episode.  Great work from Bob Odenkirk and Michael McKean.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 15
16 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought it was interesting that in the flashback, Chuck lied to Rebecca by claiming the electric company transposed the numbers in his deadbeat neighbor's address.

I missed that! Interesting coincidence.

8 minutes ago, Ottis said:

It was well done, but pedestrian. Turned out to be another "you can't handle the truth" moment, subsidized by a simple set up with the battery. I was hoping for something more clever and surprising, that would have shown Jimmy was actually Chuck's equal... or better... at law. Oh well. 

I have to admit I agree. I was really expecting to be surprised by how Jimmy "got" Chuck, or maybe that his plan wouldn't work. I was a little surprised because I thought Huell had put a phone in Chuck's pocket that would ring during the hearing, causing Chuck to go off. Anyway, I did enjoy the journey along the way.

And Huell! I didn't even think about him when Jimmy was talking to the vet. It was really good to see him again. And so slim! Well, not SLIM slim, but the weight loss looks great on him.

I liked how Jimmy just fell into his chair after Chuck's blowup. Jimmy wasn't happy with the whole thing. He didn't want to do this to his brother.

• Love 5
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I thought the same. Jimmy was...less than impressive. I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely expected more than just making Chuck have an outburst on the stand. I almost didn't even buy it. It's a credit to the actor who plays Chuck that I didn't roll my eyes.

Still a good episode though. I can see Howard faltering so I think it's only a matter of time before he turns on Chuck.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought it was interesting that in the flashback, Chuck lied to Rebecca by claiming the electric company transposed the numbers in his deadbeat neighbor's address.

I am sure that lie inspired Jimmy later.

• Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, ridethemaverick said:

I thought the same. Jimmy was...less than impressive. I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely expected more than just making Chuck have an outburst on the stand.

That's such a Saul tactic, though. Jimmy may never have been the lawyer Chuck was but he gets results. As Jesse said in BB, "You don't want a criminal lawyer. You want a *criminal* lawyer."

ETA ridethemaverick I love your user name. Speaking of lawyers, Maxine Shaw 4eva!

Edited by acid burn
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, ketose said:

I assume that Jimmy won't lose his license, but the State Bar probably won't let him off too lightly. The big question is when Jimmy becomes Saul.

After Chuck's outburst, the members of the committee now believe Jimmy's suggestion that Chuck hates Jimmy/and/or is delusional. They most likely won't do anything to Jimmy. The coming attractions gave a lot of clues as to Jimmy becoming Saul. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

After Chuck's outburst, the members of the committee now believe Jimmy's suggestion that Chuck hates Jimmy/and/ or is delusional.They most likely won't do anything to Jimmy. The coming attractions gave a lot of clues as to Jimmy becoming Saul. 

True, but Jimmy did break down Chuck's door, and there were witnesses -- so that's a crime needing some kind of punishment.   Not disbarment -- maybe a reprimand.

The question is what the judges will make of all of this.  Crazy people can be crime victims too.  Will they see Chuck as mentally ill or as a vindictive liar?

Jimmy's lack of spark during his cross-examination showed how uncomfortable he was -- he was not enjoying that at all.

• Love 10
(edited)
9 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Jimmy's lack of spark during his cross-examination showed how uncomfortable he was -- he was not enjoying that at all.

See, I read that (and Jimmy slinking down in his chair) as Jimmy acting, just like he was when he "apologized" to Chuck in the diversion meeting.  

Edited by acid burn
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, acid burn said:

See, I read that (and Jimmy slinking down in his chair) as Jimmy acting, just like he was when he "apologized" to Chuck in the diversion meeting.  

I think a little of both. He did feel bad about the final break with his brother. I don't think he really enjoyed destroying Chuck. But hey, if its him or me, its sure as hell going to be him. But he also wanted to look like he was doing what he had to do, without enjoying it, to save himself. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, acid burn said:

That may well be.  I'm choosing to believe that it was an honest feeling, but I recognize that if he didn't feel it, he'd have to act as if he did. 

He needed the win, but the satisfaction will be -- what's the word? -- there's a word, dammit.  Like a pyrrhic victory? 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, scenario said:

I think a little of both. He did feel bad about the final break with his brother. I don't think he really enjoyed destroying Chuck. But hey, if its him or me, its sure as hell going to be him. But he also wanted to look like he was doing what he had to do, without enjoying it, to save himself. 

Somewhat agree. I don't think he would've preferred the break happen but once he realized just how much Chuck hates him he did take some enjoyment from it, even if he couldn't let the "caring Jimmy" facade drop.

Just now, AuntiePam said:

Like a pyrrhic victory? 

Totally.

• Love 2

I guess I'm not clear on how the battery affected Chuck (or was supposed to, anyway)-- didn't he say he was only affected by devices that were drawing power? A battery that's not inside of a device wouldn't be generating any power or electrical energy, would it?

• Love 5

I got way too excited when I saw Heull lol having him plant that on Chuck was such a nice callback to Breaking Bad and it made perfect sense given Jimmy's angle. Such awesome writing. The flashback was great too! Seeing Jimmy and Chuck work together as Chuck lies is a bit ironic and I love how they cut on the line about Jimmy not telling her. Left me thinking, "oh yes he will" lol I honestly feel bad for Chuck in a way. When he was talking about how Jimmy misuses the law, he's really not entirely wrong. It's arguably that without Saul, Walter White may have never grown as powerful as he did. I really love this show.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, J-Man said:

I guess I'm not clear on how the battery affected Chuck (or was supposed to, anyway)-- didn't he say he was only affected by devices that were drawing power? A battery that's not inside of a device wouldn't be generating any power or electrical energy, would it?

It was fully charged.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, acid burn said:

It was fully charged.

But a fully charged battery doesn't emit any electrical energy unless it's powering a device.

• Love 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, J-Man said:

But a fully charged battery doesn't emit any electrical energy unless it's powering a device.

No, but Chuck doesn't deal well with batteries of any kind and Jimmy knew that Chuck's having a fully charged cellphone battery in his pocket would cause the desired effect of him freaking out, as demonstrated when Jimmy popped that sucker back into his cellphone and Chuck lost his shit.

Edited by acid burn
  • Love 7
(edited)

"Ah, but the strawberries, that's where I had them..." My love for this novel and movie (The Caine Mutiny) knows no earthly bounds.  McKean is no Bogart, but darned if he didn't sell it to the hilt.

I was hoping for a bit of ultimate theater whereby Jimmy would be seen from behind the witness stand holding up his cell phone with his finger on the SEND key, implicitly threatening Chuck to hit it, with Chuck not fully understanding that he had an active cell phone in his pocket.  Jimmy would recite somie epic words and then hit the button.  Chuck would look horrified for the second or two it took for the signal to hit his phone, which then loudly goes off with some obnoxious sounds and vibrating like crazy.  Chuck would lose his mind and go psychotically comatose.  Man, would that have been awesome.  

I was stunned that the hearing officer gave Kim so much leeway.  I did notice that they were all put out when asked for a moment by the defense, but fell all over themselves granting Chuck's request for 15 minutes.

I love TPTB for going so far to give homage to The Caine Mutiny courtroom scene.  Not for a second was any of it outside the norms nor a contrivance of the show.  This is McKean's Emmy reel.  Here's hoping he gets a nom.

The link is to a transcript of the courtroom scenes in TCM.  Scroll down almost to the bottom for Queeg's testimony.  The rest of it is pretty great, too.  :)

http://www.law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanford/web/movies/CaineMutiny.htm

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't think it's a façade.  One thing that's been clear through all of this is that Jimmy really does love Chuck and more than anything wants his approbation.

I don't think it used to be. But I think that all went to hell when he realized just how much Chuck hates him. YMMV.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

True, but Jimmy did break down Chuck's door, and there were witnesses -- so that's a crime needing some kind of punishment.   Not disbarment -- maybe a reprimand.

I think he's covered by the PPD if he keeps his nose clean for a year. The disbarment hearing was about the larger crime of Jimmy switching the numbers on Chuck's Mesa Verde paperwork.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought it was interesting that in the flashback, Chuck lied to Rebecca by claiming the electric company transposed the numbers in his deadbeat neighbor's address. . . .

I guess we'll never know if Rebecca remembers it.

I wish in the previouslies that they could have reminded the viewers of Chuck believing Jimmy robbed so much from their father's store that he went out of business, when in reality their father was mainly bankrupt by his own generosity towards con artist customers. It was the foundation of Chuck's attitude towards Jimmy that brought them to that day in court, right?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, acid burn said:

I don't think he was acting in the diversion meeting, I just think his words had dual meetings.  It sounded like he was apologizing for what he did but I think it could have been being apologetic for falling for Chuck's scheme. 

34 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't think it's a façade.  One thing that's been clear through all of this is that Jimmy really does love Chuck and more than anything wants his approbation.

I don't know if he's looking for Chuck's approval now but I do think he loves his brother and worries for him.  The pain of what Chuck believes is real even if no one believes the disease is real. 

I kind of loved this episode and was kind of let down by it.  I was let down by the fact that so many of the angles had thoroughly been explored in these threads.  But I loved how riveting the acting was. 

I can sort of see how the bar might believe Jimmy was just saying things to make Chuck feel better but I do think that tape was even more damning than Chuck's testimony.  Jimmy not only copped to it, he gave a damn compelling reason as to why---for Kim.  That made it sound more like a real confession, IMO.  I wonder when Kim is going to start pulling back.  Clearly the Mesa Verde thing is weighing on her even as she innoculates herself from the pushback.

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wish in the previouslies that they could have reminded the viewers of Chuck believing Jimmy robbed so much from their father's store that he went out of business, when in reality their father was mainly bankrupt by his own generosity towards con artist customers.

Do we know this?  I know it's a matter of dispute but I don't recall it ever being settled.  We only saw the beginning of Jimmy robbing the store.  I don't think we ever discovered the long term consequences of it.  Even though he was in meltdown mode, the things he accused Jimmy of doing were things Jimmy did. 

• Love 5

Also, the portrayal of Howard as a son who obtained his position via nepotism, and not acumen, was really well done. It'll be interesting to see how he tries to extricate HHM from this mess. Maybe he'll have a moment of competence, and will try to get Chuck to abandon the anti-Jimmy jihad if Jimmy will agree to abandon his name.

• Love 13

I didn't think the cell phone battery trick was all that good. Last episode they hinted at Kim having something planned with the tape but instead it was just a Huell playground trick? 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I am continuing to find it unbelievable that everyone treats Chuck like his shit don't stink. Is it likely that the Bar Association would make accommodations like that for someone with a self-diagnosed disability?

Thank you!  I was thinking the same thing.  I can understand Howard and HHM accommodating him because he's a partner and probably a rainmaker for the firm, but everyone else?  The Bar Association?  They treated him like a star VIP.  Seems unrealistic.

• Love 6
(edited)
34 minutes ago, knaankos said:

I didn't think the cell phone battery trick was all that good. Last episode they hinted at Kim having something planned with the tape but instead it was just a Huell playground trick? 

I concur with this. What is the tie-in to Kim's scene in the previous episode?

And it's true that a disconnected battery will not emit an E-M field. Too bad Chuck didn't know that. Or maybe it was one of those technerd issues that TV writers don't worry about.  

Huell looked thinner and I think he had more hair too. Made him look younger. 

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
(edited)

So why did Jimmy bring Rebecca into this at all ?

Why was she needed to expose Chuck, couldn't it have been without here ? I don't really see the point , can anyone explain ?

Edited by Pannekoeker
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

The judge was John Getz from 'The Fly', 'Blood Simple', and my favorite 'Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead'.

He's also in the new season of Bosch on Amazon, which I just binged  

• Love 2