Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation Without Spoilers

• Start Topic

If we put any stock into Saul's BB pleas - "it was Ignacio!" - then surely his dealings with Nacho are not done. But it makes sense that both want to steer clear of one another for the time being.

• Love 2

The interesting thing is that by the time of BB, what Mike was doing for Gus was well outside of Saul's universe.

He has to get to that point, somehow, beginning with the vet. But at least for a while, Jimmy's going to have to be involved with what Mike is doing for the show to make sense.

• Love 2

Without a brother who actually cared enough to jump through hoops to help him, maybe Chuck backslides since he has so far been resistant to getting psychiatric care.  He might really decline, and maybe that tasering by the cops was foreshadowing. 

• Love 2

The finale on Monday is called "Marco."  Marco, of course, is the name of one of the infamous, scary-as-hell Cousins from BB. 

Any thoughts?  Do we think we will actually see Marco, and if so -- how?  Will he appear with Nacho?  Or will it be a mention of Marco, i.e., Nacho saying something like, "Tuco's cousin Marco..."?

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

Damn.  I really hope the final episode of this show has Gene working at the Cinnabon and he looks up to see Kim giving him a big old smile from across the food court.  I think I could handle all the kick the Jimmy moments if it wrapped up that way. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The finale on Monday is called "Marco." Marco, of course, is the name of one of the infamous, scary-as-hell Cousins from BB.

Any thoughts? Do we think we will actually see Marco, and if so -- how? Will he appear with Nacho? Or will it be a mention of Marco, i.e., Nacho saying something like, "Tuco's cousin Marco..."?

Did the preview insinuate that Jimmy goes back to his old stomping grounds in Cicero, Illinois? We definitely caught a glimpse of his old accomplice.

Not really seeing (or buying) how they might work either of the cousins into the plot here. I think "Marco" is referring to Marco Polo. Explorer or children's pool game.

Edited by SignGuy
  • Love 1

At this point, I wouldn't care if it is Marco and he sits down and watched One Minute with BO for the entire episode. I'd find a way to explain it as genius.

And it would probably be a great episode!

I guess the pool game could be where the "Marco" title comes from... maybe... I suppose.  Or, maybe it will end up being something innocuous, like the name of a street.

I tend to doubt that Vince Gilligan would give another character the name of a character that already exists in the Breaking Bad universe unless he had a really clever reason for doing so, but who knows?  Maybe he would.

My only reason for thinking that the Marco (of the Cousins) would possibly be mentioned (not necessarily seen) is that it could happen via the Nacho storyline.  Nacho is connected to Tuco and that whole world.  He has probably encountered Marco at some point.  It could be something that is teased in this finale, and then we'll see or hear more about Marco in Season 2. 

• Love 1

The cousins march into the US was somewhat arduous. I can't see that happening for anything other that eliminating a DEA agent that threatens your organization. I also can't see Tuco accepting the cousin's arrival as a show of respect. However, if one of the cousins showed up, it would be confirmation that the cartel is working ABQ and highly suggest Gus is in play.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay, Jimmy apologizes to Kim!

And Jimmy goes home to Cicero:

Hopefully we'll find out more about his (and Chuck's) family of origin. We don't yet know the name of Slippin' Jimmy's partner in petty crime—maybe he's the Marco?

Maybe Jimmy & friend spot "el mark-o" at the bar—as in a past, present, or future victim of one of their scams?

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3

Maybe Jimmy & friend spot "el mark-o" at the bar—as in a past, present, or future victim of one of their scams?

That's a good guess.  Sounds like something Jimmy would say. 

Good to know there is a marathon leading up to the finale.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think, myself, that Jimmy legally is a lawyer, and here's why. Even today, more than a decade after this show is set, you can't take the bar exam with an online law degree. The only place that allows it at all, and those are specific schools, in California. So I keep thinking that the reason it took him three tries to pass is because it took him three tries to get an application past the screeners, not that he took it and failed three times. So, maybe he's not a real lawyer because he's...not a real lawyer. He doesn't have the credentials required to be a lawyer. He dummied up something to sit the exam and pass it (cause that's wicked easy to check), but he doesn't actually have the required qualifications.Now I know that it's probably something that was somehow overlooked in the writing/production. But this is a show that has a long discussion about if a character would take a piece of cake. Maybe it wasn't an oversight.

This theory would explain a lot about Chuck and Hamlin's behavior in Pimento and other episodes, but it isn't without problems.

We know in real life Jimmy wouldn't even be able to sit for the bar exam with his Land Crab law degree.

What if Jimmy isn't a real lawyer, and Chuck's psychosomatic illness is linked to him not turning Jimmy in for fraud?

Why didn't someone at HHM turn him in for fraud? Maybe Chuck wanted to, but the Hamlin partners thought it would reflect badly on the firm. Jimmy was an employee of HHM when he did this.

That would explain their motivation to want Jimmy to change his name, so they could turn him in with less linkage to HHM. Chuck then cracked under the pressure of keeping the secret and going against his morals.

Maybe they had a plan to let Jimmy have enough rope to hang himself once he left HHM and started practicing law on his own.

Then the Sandpiper case comes along and HHM wants the case, but not Jimmy because he isn't a real lawyer.

This would explain Hamlin's strange reveal to Kim about why the firm didn't hire Jimmy.

If HHM is somehow implicated in the snafu that allowed him to get his application past the screeners at the New Mexico Bar Association, I can see them wanting to keep a lid on it.

The problem with that is conventional PR wisdom is to no let a scandal widen once discovered.

The firm would be in a much better postion to just take the embarrassment of having their mail-boy get caught, and to not make matters worse by trying to cover it up.

I find it hard to believe that the writers and producers would overlook this about the bar exam, but maybe they intentionally went against reality for the sake of the story.

The biggest problem with this theory is that it makes Jimmy's reaction to Hamlin and Chuck not make any sense.

Edited by ToastnBacon

That's my favorite theory so far. 

Good to know there is a marathon leading up to the finale.

Right? When the series first started, I wasn't sure how much I would like it, so I wasn't saving it on the DVR. But then I fell in love and knew I had to have all the episodes....but....in order. So now's my chance! 

Okay, so my phone is in the mailbox, I've got my space blanket on, made some pimento sandwiches and cucumber water....I am all ready for the finale! Go Landcrabs!

• Love 2

Today I caught part of the episode where the doctor says Chuck is a danger because of the campstove, a fire hazard and no phone to call for help.  Could that be what may happen to Chucky?  Maybe he doesn't die but he gets a mental health commitment after a fire?

• Love 1

Today I caught part of the episode where the doctor says Chuck is a danger because of the campstove, a fire hazard and no phone to call for help.  Could that be what may happen to Chucky?  Maybe he doesn't die but he gets a mental health commitment after a fire?

Good point! I've been thinking about how Chuck's going to get supplies now that he's dead to Jimmy, but I hadn't considered the safety issues. If Chuck should fall and hurt himself, he'd have to lie there until Howard Hamlin stopped by.

• Love 1

Reposting myself from the finale thread:

I watched series premiere again last night, in anticipation of the finale. That opening montage, although stylistically different, reminded me a lot of Mike's montage. They both ended a monotonous day, of trying to live a "normal" life, on the couch with a cold drink. Mike's monotonous life didn't last too long. Now, I know he didn't get into his line of business out of boredom. Not entirely anyhow. Maybe there was a bit of that, but he did it for Kayleigh. But watching that scene last night, and thinking of Mike, I just had to wonder - how long before Saul starts wheeling and dealing in Omaha. Is he going to be content in the Cinnabon forever? Probably a line of questioning more suitable for the spec thread....
  • Love 2

That's been my question since the premiere, how the hell is he going to tolerate that Cinnabon existence?  We know he is in danger of being found by the DEA and maybe even killed by former associates.  So he has to be "Mr. Low Profile" as I think he once said.  But maybe he could become something like the vacuum cleaner guy, working out of sight to 'disappear' people.  He would be good at that maybe.  I do wonder if this series will stay strictly in New Mexico up through the end of BB, or will it go to the Omaha future?  That would be interesting to see Saul's next act.

• Love 1

I was just thinking the same thing! Is going to be everything up until Omaha, or are we going to see some of what that holds? I'd like to see Saul and his clever self figuring out SOME way eke out an interesting living here in the Midwest. If he has enough contacts, maybe he could get a whole new appearance and an entirely new identity?

• Love 1

Here's what Peter Gould told Entertainment Weekly about season 2:

What [Jimmy] really has cared about, all through season 1, is Chuck and Kim. Chuck seems to be lost—maybe he’s not. What is the relationship with Chuck going to be? Whatever Jimmy’s next move is, what is Kim going to think of it? Is he even going to be a lawyer anymore? When he drives away, does that mean he’s just going to drive away and scam? A lot of the fun of scamming seemed to be scamming with Marco, and he doesn’t have a Marco anymore. The big question is: What does he have in mind next?

From the "Marco" episode thread:

I don't think they ever showed [Jesse Pinkman's] whole confession, only him starting out.  Hank had said he had to tell everything, and I guess I assumed he at least hit all the high points.  I think Saul feared prosecution, and being murdered.  Any one of those meth kings and assorted henchmen (who haven't already been killed) would have a strong motive not to ever want him to talk, as in getting himself a deal with the government.

I wonder if Jesse would have outed Saul?  Probably.  Maybe not though.  Saul only laundered money early on in Walt's career.  I'll have to watch again to see what else Saul could be charged with, and try to figure out if he was running more from the drug guys, or the law.

The very first scene of the very first episode (the "flash forward") was really ambiguous. Gene was scared to death of the guy he thought was watching him, but did he think the guy was law enforcement, or did he think the guy was a hitman?

From that very moment, I knew that Better Call Saul was going to leave a hell of a lot up to the viewer to decide for him- or herself.

• Love 1
The very first scene of the very first episode (the "flash forward") was really ambiguous. Gene was scared to death of the guy he thought was watching him, but did he think the guy was law enforcement, or did he think the guy was a hitman?

The way that kid was dressed, he looked very much like a skinhead. I thought for a minute he was some remnant of the nazi gang, and was coming after Saul. 

They were all dead once Walt shot Jack and Jesse strangled Todd.  I think others of their white supremacist brethren are still in prison, doing their thing elsewhere, etc. but the core ABQ group was wiped out at that compound.

• Love 1

Well, we know Kim isn't there later, and I'm beginning to think that though Jimmy's brother started his slide to the dark side, I think Kim will be the one to push him over.  Said this in the episode thread but talking about it further seems like it belongs here.

So what could happen with Kim?  Remember, this is Vince, so I really doubt it will be something as commonplace as her dumping him, although that could be it.  I tend to suspect something more spectacular and permanent.  Or at least more unusual than dumping him, or marrying someone else--although I'm sure it would be done brilliantly.

What do you guys think?  Aside from dumping, my best guess would be something that makes the whole straight arrow law and order good guy life even more unattractive, so I doubt it will involve her death at the hands of criminals, UNLESS Jimmy then goes after them, and maybe even takes down a few in some way, but then begins his career as a CRIMINAL attorney (as Jesse said so well) either through a threat on his brother's life, or blackmail, or because he impresses some of the rival crooks enough to offer him a bunch of money.

What's the most warped thing that could happen?  Ha.

I don't think she'll die. That would almost be too obvious and pandering for ratings - which really isn't Gilligan's style. I mean, a lot of people died in BB, but they were all involved in the drug underworld. Not that unbelievable. If Kim DID die, it would have to be something that really worked and didn't feel like they were just trying to pull our heart strings. 

I'm leaning more towards a break-up/dissolution of the friendship, but it will be on that stings. I think she will probably betray him in some way, but it won't feel that way for her. I don't know, I sound sort of muddled right now. I probably need to think on this some more. 

Maybe somehow her involvement with him gets her in trouble with HHM. Maybe Chuck DOES come back and he's being a bitter bastard and makes Kim's life hell. Maybe something forces her to have to move away. Or maybe she ends things with him to please Chuck. She wouldn't DATE Chuck, that would be absurd and far fetched. But her essentially betraying Jimmy WITH his brother would be a really really big blow. 

I'm thinking it will be stranger than that, because it HAS to push Jimmy completely away from the straight and narrow and into being a CRIMINAL lawyer for real.  A break up is just too predictable.

Vince will kill anyone if it's best for the story.

ETA

If he does do the break up story though, Odenkirk will act the hell out of it.  So?  Maybe so.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

I certainly think that Gilligan and Gould could and would kill anyone off if it furthers the story and makes sense somehow.  It has to fit the context of what is happening.  There were times in Breaking Bad when I didn't think I would see certain types of scenes on BB -- for one example, I didn't think that certain characters would be capable of truly brutal violence... until they were capable of brutal violence!  Some scenes were kind of shocking -- maybe not shocking if viewers are desensitized by the intense violence seen on shows like The Walking Dead and American Horror Story, but shocking within the context of BB.  I can see Better Call Saul as being that type of show.  There will be a lot of episodes where not much is happening, and nothing is really shocking -- and then all of a sudden something shocking will happen (not even just violence, but shocking developments or actions by certain characters).

Then again, there were times (more than once) when Gilligan and Gould planned to kill a certain character off or strongly considered killing them off on BB, and then changed their minds and went in a different direction.

Because of the types of clients and contacts that Jimmy and Mike could eventually come in contact with on BCS, I could easily see Kim or Chuck getting caught in the crossfire, or somehow becoming a casualty.  In fact, I am probably wrong but I could have sworn that one of the super-quick clips in a montage of scenes from upcoming episodes of BCS this season showed Jimmy at what appeared to be a funeral.  As I said, I'm probably wrong -- and even if my guess was correct and it is a funeral, it could be a funeral of anyone.... not necessarily anyone integral to the BCS story.  It could be a funeral of one of Jimmy's nursing home friends, for all I know!  Lol.

Saul never mentioned Chuck or Kim during Breaking Bad, but there was a whole lot we didn't know about Saul's life during that show.  We really only saw him when he was interacting with clients and Mike, for the most part.  It is possible that both Kim and Chuck survive and are alive during the BB years, but we just don't know it.  Maybe Jimmy/Saul will have a falling out with Kim that keeps him away from her for years... and then maybe we will suddenly see Kim coming to visit Jimmy/Saul/Gene at Cinnabon, in disguise, after he reaches out to her in desperation or something.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Yeah, I agree with all of that, but my suspicion is that some BIG thing will push Jimmy into becoming Saul, and if his brothers despicable betrayal didn't do it (completely yet,) something with Kim seems plausible.

But if she's killed by a criminal, why would that push him into becoming Saul, unless, blackmail, or a really good offer from a rival gang who takes out the guys that took out Kim and it goes from there.

Their chemistry is good, but honestly I wouldn't miss her that much, her voice grates a bit.  She's no Jesse (one of the ones Vince decided not to kill after all, thank God.)

• Love 1

Yeah, I agree with all of that, but my suspicion is that some BIG thing will push Jimmy into becoming Saul, and if his brothers despicable betrayal didn't do it (completely yet,) something with Kim seems plausible.

But if she's killed by a criminal, why would that push him into becoming Saul, unless, blackmail, or a really good offer from a rival gang who takes out the guys that took out Kim and it goes from there.

Their chemistry is good, but honestly I wouldn't miss her that much, her voice grates a bit.  She's no Jesse (one of the ones Vince decided not to kill after all, thank God.)

I'm not totally sold on Kim yet either, to be honest!  Lol.  I don't dislike her, but I don't love her either (so far).  Maybe by this season's end I will like her more.  I think she has what could be perceived as a rather cold demeanor.  She doesn't seem particularly friendly and fun -- which works well for portraying a lawyer and straight man to Jimmy's more goofball tendencies, but doesn't necessarily make me root for her or care what happens to her yet.

I get the feeling she cares somewhat for Jimmy, but not enough to make a real go of anything with him.  The romp they had at the hotel was tequila-driven and probably something she kind of regrets.  I don't think she wants to lead him on, but she also cannot bring herself to come right out and say, "It ain't happening, buddy."

Thank the heavens Jesse wasn't killed off in BB!!  While Bryan Cranston is a stellar, outstanding actor and riveting to watch in the role of Walter, the show would not have been the same without the Walt-Jesse interaction and dynamic all throughout the series, right down to that last look exchanged between them in their final scene together.

• Love 1

Well, we know Kim isn't there later, and I'm beginning to think that though Jimmy's brother started his slide to the dark side, I think Kim will be the one to push him over.  Said this in the episode thread but talking about it further seems like it belongs here.

Jimmy makes his own choices.  He chose to be a conman.  And he chose to try and leave that life behind in order to earn his brother's approval.  And after Chuck's betrayal, in Ep 2.01, he was going to choose to being quite a bit less ethical.  And yet now that he believes he has a shot with Kim, he's choosing to explore being a flashy honest lawyer again. So if anything, it's Kim that's keeping him on the Jimmy side for a while.  Saul already has been tugging at Jimmy to join the dark side.

In other words, Saul's gonna be a product of a fallen Jimmy and not a betrayin' Kimmy.

I'm leaning more towards a break-up/dissolution of the friendship, but it will be on that stings. I think she will probably betray him in some way, but it won't feel that way for her.

Or it won't be a betrayal at all but it'll still feel like one to Jimmy. For instance...

Maybe somehow her involvement with him gets her in trouble with HHM. Maybe Chuck DOES come back and he's being a bitter bastard and makes Kim's life hell. Maybe something forces her to have to move away. Or maybe she ends things with him to please Chuck. She wouldn't DATE Chuck, that would be absurd and far fetched. But her essentially betraying Jimmy WITH his brother would be a really really big blow. 

She doesn't have to date Chuck but if she were to date Howard at some point?  Now I could see Jimmy seeing that as a rejection of everything he is even if they are in one of the "offs" in their on-and-off relationship.  Or even someone else.  In other words, something that firmly closes the door on their romantic relationship.

But I don't think it's going to be on Kim or even Chuck.  They aren't the ones asking Jimmy to be something he's not.  Jimmy's doing that because that's what he thinks he needs to do to be in their lives.  Yet, he already has a few feet in Saul's world.  He and Mike have started a relationship.  He has interacted with Nacho.  I suspect he's going to try to be ethical and decent but it'll be easier to be Saul.

• Love 1

Nacho's pilfering of Playuh's cash leads Playuh to the courthouse, where Mike pulls him over to have a little talk.

Seems obvious Mike wants to make it clear he has no interest in becoming a blip on the ABQ police radar. His insistent tone will only unnerve the inexperienced baseball card nerd.

Jimmy steps in to represent Playuh, with close tabs being kept by Mike. Mr Ehrmantraut also speeds up his job search through his Vet contact, leading him one step closer to a certain hand-tossed chicken franchise.

Kim? Not time for resolutions there yet. And honestly can't be sure what they're planning.

• Love 2

I thought the Kim/Jimmy romance had a lot of heart in 2.1, so I'd vote for a series finale (or earlier) of Kim returning from NY or LA after a divorce from someone else, with a couple of kids, and rekindling things with "Gene."

Nah, that makes it sound like she's coming back with her tail between her legs and kids in tow, and "settling" for Gene.  Gene deserves better than that.

• Love 1

My guess is when the series is on the final lap towards Saul we're going to get the complete explanation of Chuck.  He trapped himself in his anxiety-ridden phobias and delusional ideas when he blocked Jimmy from being a lawyer instead of a mailroom clerk at HHM.  He was no doubt twitchy and quirky for various other reasons (Rebecca?), but when he chose to block Jimmy he knew it was for bad rather than good reasons and he can't face that truth about himself.

I'm now thinking that Pryce blows it, exposes Jimmy's part in faking evidence. 

Pryce is a dead man, and maybe doesn't get the chance to testify in exchange for immunity or something, but the damage is done as far as Jimmy's lawering at the big firm, even though he isn't disbarred since the witness is dead.  I don't think Jimmy kills him, but I think other people will wonder, including Kim.

• Love 2

I'm now thinking that Pryce blows it, exposes Jimmy's part in faking evidence.

Pryce is a dead man, and maybe doesn't get the chance to testify in exchange for immunity or something, but the damage is done as far as Jimmy's lawering at the big firm, even though he isn't disbarred since the witness is dead. I don't think Jimmy kills him, but I think other people will wonder, including Kim.

It won't be him. It will be Ignacio!

• Love 2

What I'm trying to figure out about the future is how Jimmy is going to be able to conduct business as Saul Goodman when his diploma and NM bar accreditation are in his real name. And it's not in a different state, it's in the same city where he was Jimmy McGill. Anyone?

It's simple to do a name change.

Back to speculation.

OK, so Pryce continues to do stupid things, let's say it's either back to drug sales for money or an insurance claim on the Hummer.

No way was Tuco's name dropped inadvertently. 

So Pryce, knowing he is "done" with Nacho, decides to find someone else, that being Tuco.  Nacho can't have Tuco know that he went behind his back, so Pryce must die.  At the same time, both Mike and Jimmy are in danger because of Pryce's stupidity, risking jail, or in Jimmy's case, disbarment, they want him SHUT DOWN, but maybe not dead, but yeah, maybe dead.  The trouble for Jimmy is, Pryce has already spilled too much about the falsified evidence to someone, probably one of those cops.  Then Pryce is a corpse.  Tuco or Nacho kill him, but Jimmy and Mike aren't too fussed about it.  Guilt maybe, but relief as well.

The police would investigate Jimmy, who had a lot to lose, as a murder suspect.  The news that Pryce said he falsified evidence gets back to his new firm, as well as possible disbarment proceedings.  Kim's stuck, because she KNOWS he did it, and SHOULD testify about that, but she breaks that moral and professional code and does not, but it rips her, and makes her realize she simply can't be around Jimmy any more. 

So, Jimmy loses his job and his girl, but doesn't do jail time or face disbarment, because the "only" witness is dead, it's hearsay from a criminal anyway, no one wants to bother with it.

Chuck does his "I KNEW IT!" happy dance.

Jimmy goes to the court and gets rid of the McGill name for good and becomes Saul.

• Love 2