Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation Without Spoilers

• Start Topic

So, I'm rewatching BB and Gus Fring has just been introduced. So far, all we know is he's careful and he owns 14 Los Pollos Hermanos branches. (Whether he owns the whole franchise is unclear.)

He initially turned Walt down because Jesse showed up to the meet late and high.

The odd thing is -- I don't really consider Jesse a junkie. He seems to go through bouts of really bad binge-ing and then spends quite a long time clean. He didn't use heroin until Jessica Jones showed up. (At least not that I was aware of or that the series made a big issue of.)

TMI: I'm an 8-year sober alcoholic and I can tell you, by the end of my drinking, I could barely move for months on end. Jesse is no where near that and hasn't ever been in the series BB so far.

I think Jesse was briefly hooked on heroin during his Jane period. He didn't really seemed to be hooked on crystal meth and seemed to be able to use it recreationally or when he was down and leave it alone when he wanted to.

He seemed much more dependent upon marijuana than meth.

• Love 2

It's interesting how through Better Call Saul we are learning far more about Jimmy's past than what we learned about Walt's past. We know nothing about Walt's family or parents or upbringing. We know he fakes visits his mom in one episode, so she lives somewhere that required a plane flight to. Where was Walt originally from?

• Love 1

In her S&C interview Kim reveals she's originally from somewhere near the Nebraska border.

So, even though all signs point to a heart-rending parting of ways really soon, a reunion might be foreshadowed.

For whatever it's worth, when Saul gets "relocated" to Cinnabon Purgatory he seems surprised at Nebraska being the location (BB, "Granite State"). So he doesn't seem motivated by any possible reunion with Kim.

For whatever it's worth, when Saul gets "relocated" to Cinnabon Purgatory he seems surprised at Nebraska being the location (BB, "Granite State"). So he doesn't seem motivated by any possible reunion with Kim.

Still, it could be a set up for a serendipitous reunion (rather than deliberate move on Saul/Jimmy's part). His surprise could be mixed with wistful hope.
  • Love 2

Still, it could be a set up for a serendipitous reunion (rather than deliberate move on Saul/Jimmy's part). His surprise could be mixed with wistful hope.

I hope so. It occurs to me that, for as much as he cares about Kim, Jimmy doesn't necessarily know a lot about her past either.

• Love 1

I don't think the writers were even really thinking that hard about Better Call Saul when they were making the last episodes of Breaking Bad

I don't think the writers were even really thinking that hard about Better Call Saul when they were making the last episodes of Breaking Bad

True enough. But that's probably the kind of subtle character detail to consider carefully now, as opposed to some more throwaway stuff like the "second wife slept with my step dad" line that can be easily wanked as simply Saul being Saul.

• Love 1

I don't need to see everyone from BB but I would enjoy watching the creation of "the good thing" that WW systematically destroyed. I mean there was a pretty good thing going before Walter got involved and it would be neat to see it get created.

• Love 1

The other thing is, Jimmy is no spring chicken.  Both of his ex wives could be long gone, fairly short young marriages, nothing at all to do with Kim.  Or, as you've said, could just be Saul "stories."

When did Jimmy's dad die?  Have they said and I'm blanking? 

I hope that this season is the last we'll see of Kim.  It will have been two seasons that she's been on the show and I've seen--and heard (ugh!)--enough of her.  I don't mind of references are made about her going forward after this season, but that's all.

That's the sad thing, I wouldn't miss any of the non-BB main characters if they leave.  Kim, Howard, and Chuck being gone feels like it would only improve this show.

I do hope we get some interesting other characters though, and this isn't just the story of how Breaking Bad came to be.

(edited)

tedandthebird.jpg

I had to look, this is a Hinky Dinky in the seventies.

What a blast from my past! I grew up in Nebraska in the 60's/early 70's and that was our neighborhood grocery store.

I squealed when Kim mentioned Hinky Dinky. It small details like that I love.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 1

Here are the season two episode titles, rearranged. I'm just gonna leave this list here. It probably means nothing.

Fifi

Rebecca

Inflatable

Nailed

Gloves Off

Switch

Bali Ha'i

Amarillo

Cobbler

Klick

• Love 6

Here are the season two episode titles, rearranged. I'm just gonna leave this list here. It probably means nothing.

Fifi

Rebecca

Inflatable

Nailed

Gloves Off

Switch

Bali Ha'i

Amarillo

Cobbler

Klick

Pretty coincidental, if it means nothing.  Hmm.

• Love 5
(edited)

http://m.imgur.com/a/TYk5S

Thanks to someone with a more discerning eye than I: apparently the address of the Dog House matches the four digit number Jimmy forges into the Mesa Verde documents.

Nice work catching that, whomever noticed, and thanks to you for passing it on. Gilligan always has little meaningless easter eggs like this, so it probably won't come up on screen (like an angry Howard/Chuck specifically referring to the "Dog House" as the location with the transposed address).  

Speaking of which, anyone have any speculation on Mesa Verde- which literally means "green table"- being a reference to something?  For lack of any real driving plotlines this season, they seem about as meaningful an entity as any- especially if they end up unwittingly being the catalyst for a dramatic change to the lives of Chuck, Howard, Kim, and of course Jimmy.  Maybe a gambling table reference?

Fifi

Rebecca

Inflatable

Nailed

Gloves Off

Switch

Bali Ha'i

Amarillo

Cobbler

Klick

Wow, that is super cool, and seems unlikely to be totally coincidental; it sure seems like the appearance of Fring is coming in the finale, to get us excited about the next season.  Plus, it would make sense in Mike's timeline for him to meet him since he can't realistically go solo against the Salamanca's indefinitely.  If it was intentional, I can believe it would be something semi-accidental like someone working on the show realizing "Hey, you can almost rearrange the episode titles to spell FRING", and so they tweaked a couple episode titles to make the letters work.  I checked season 1, and thought it was the same since the first 5 letters can spell "HUMAN"... but then it falls apart.  :)

In any case, nice work- someone's got the eagle eye! :)

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 3
(edited)

Fifi

Rebecca

Inflatable

Nailed

Gloves Off

Switch

Bali Ha'i

Amarillo

Cobbler

Klick

No way!  That is amazing.  I did not even think to rearrange and look. There are rarely accidents in Gilligan Land.

There is no way it's an accident -- why else would Klick be spelled/started with a "K" instead of a "C"?

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

Fifi

Rebecca

Inflatable

Nailed

Gloves Off

Switch

Bali Ha'i

Amarillo

Cobbler

Klick

Wow! Knowing how Vince Gilligan works I have little doubt that is an Easter egg.

In BB, the titles of the 4 episodes with the black and white pink teddy bear cold openings were 737-Down-Over-ABQ, which obviously told the story what was going on in those scenes.

I will now be very surprised if Fring does not appear before the end of the season.

• Love 1

I saw the "FRINGS BACK" thing on Facebook, but I don't know. I think I would be more likely to believe it if the episodes were in order. 747, Down, Over, ABQ weren't back to back, but there was a pattern there. Every 3rd episode or something, right? I mean, you could rearrange titles to spell a lot of things. I am sure Fring is probably going to show up at some point, given that we're getting Mike's story as well. But I'm not sure that there's anything intentional going on with the titles. Or am I just too cynical? 

I saw the "FRINGS BACK" thing on Facebook, but I don't know. I think I would be more likely to believe it if the episodes were in order. 747, Down, Over, ABQ weren't back to back, but there was a pattern there. Every 3rd episode or something, right? I mean, you could rearrange titles to spell a lot of things. I am sure Fring is probably going to show up at some point, given that we're getting Mike's story as well. But I'm not sure that there's anything intentional going on with the titles. Or am I just too cynical?

I think the odd titles of the season 2 episodes (especially Klick) support the Easter Egg theory even more. The titles being chosen to fit into a word puzzle makes a lot of sense to me.

• Love 3

I think the odd titles of the season 2 episodes (especially Klick) support the Easter Egg theory even more. The titles being chosen to fit into a word puzzle makes a lot of sense to me.

True.  Some of the titles had at least minimal relevance to the episodes, but Fifi and Bali H'ai were stretching things. 

• Love 1

Bali H'ai was a pretty nice metaphor, if we study the song's lyrics. But Fifi was stretching it as far as deeper meaning.

FRINGS BACK

BRICK FANGS

BRINGS FACK

Edited by SignGuy77

"Klick" spelled with a K is a military slang for kilometer and since we know Mike was in Vietnam and in the preview we see Mike with Jim Beaver testing out a rifle, I'm betting they have a conversation about "taking a shot from xx klicks" or somesuch.

Also, in the preview we see Howard on the phone asking something like "Jimmy, I just want to know if you are behind this?" while holding a letter in his hand.

I don't think he's referring to the muck up with the Mesa Verde address.

Jimmy probably still has power of attorney or status as next of kin for any of Chuck's medical decisions in the event Chuck is incapacitated. Chuck probably hasn't had time to change that since he figured out Jimmy's betrayal.

That scene of Howard is probably about having Chuck committed/declared incompetent or maybe even pulling life support.

Or Jimmy sends a letter to HHM informing them Chuck is no longer competent enough to practice law and wants the firm to buy him out. That was a storyline in the beginning of season one and Howard was stressed about the possibility because it would apparently be financially damaging for the firm to have buy Chuck out - that's why they keep accommodating his "illness" because it's cheaper for the firm to pay Chuck his salary/partnership money than having to buy him out all at once.

• Love 3

Would Chuck trust Jimmy with power of attorney?  If he did, I don't see Jimmy pulling the plug.  Despite their feuds, I do think there is love there between the brothers.  I could see him trying to get Howard to buy Chuck out but given how slowly this show moves time wise, would the courts be willing to let him do that if Chuck were only incapacitated a short time?

• Love 1

Would Chuck trust Jimmy with power of attorney?  If he did, I don't see Jimmy pulling the plug.  Despite their feuds, I do think there is love there between the brothers.

While I agree Jimmy would never pull the plug, I'm not sure Chuck believes that.

Yeah, I just put pulling the plug as a possibility but I agree, I don't think Jimmy could do that unless Chuck's condition was completely hopeless - which it could be.

I don't know if Chuck would "give" power of attorney but he may have listed Jimmy as his next of kin/medical emergency contact person - I feel like Jimmy was making decisions last season when Chuck was hospitalized.

I just think that scene with Howard asking Jimmy "Did you do this?" is probably in reference to something to do with Chuck's medical situation and how it impacts HHM and not about Jimmy's sabotage of Mesa Verde.  Because I bet Howard didn't believe Chuck's "theory" of the screw up either.  Howard has been subtly trying to get Chuck to let him handle things and I don't think Howard has full confidence in Chuck's abilities any longer.

• Love 1

I just think that scene with Howard asking Jimmy "Did you do this?" is probably in reference to something to do with Chuck's medical situation and how it impacts HHM and not about Jimmy's sabotage of Mesa Verde.

I haven't seen that preview, but I'm more inclined to think Jimmy winds up calling 911 and his phone is traced, which leads Howard to asking why Jimmy was there, and "Did you do this?" doesn't sound like Howard thought Jimmy was there just to look out for Chuck. But I'm also thinking of when Jimmy cried hardest at their father's funeral. Both Jimmy and Mike don't mean to hurt people, but it happens.

I haven't seen that preview, but I'm more inclined to think Jimmy winds up calling 911 and his phone is traced, which leads Howard to asking why Jimmy was there, and "Did you do this?" doesn't sound like Howard thought Jimmy was there just to look out for Chuck. But I'm also thinking of when Jimmy cried hardest at their father's funeral. Both Jimmy and Mike don't mean to hurt people, but it happens.

Speaking of funerals, back when the season first started 2 months ago or shortly thereafter, there was a super-fast preview reel of clips from the rest of the season, shown after an episode.  There was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of Jimmy (it may have been an outdoor shot, but I'm not sure) in the clip reel, and I remember thinking at the time, "Is he at a funeral?"  I don't know what made me think that -- maybe he was wearing a dark color or something.  I don't know.   I can't remember.   But the shot was literally so fast that even if I had tried to pause it I probably couldn't have really determined what it was.

Since the season has almost come to an end, I figured that the super-fast shot of Jimmy that I saw was buried somewhere in one of the earlier episodes -- and that it was, indeed, not a funeral.  I don't think it was, but there is one more episode to go...

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Let's ponder...

A while back in the Spoiler thread, Irlandesa posted a link to an article about the Better Call Saul panel at PaleyFest.  (The reason it was in the Spoiler thread is because they talked a bit about Hector appearing on the show, although at that point he had not yet shown up.)

Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould talked about, among other things, cameo appearances by Breaking Bad characters and how they handle them.  They are very aware that all of the appearances by BB characters have to make sense within the context of the story, and can't just be thrown in for kicks.

I believe it was Gould who mentioned that there was one cameo he wanted really, really badly -- and the person would have appeared in the season finale (next Monday's episode). Ultimately, I think Gilligan talked him out of it.  Gilligan said that it would have actually been a perfect setting for this mystery character to appear, and it would have made complete sense for that character to be there... BUT he nixed it because it would distract from something else that is happening in the scene.  Gould was so disappointed that they couldn't go forward with the cameo, but he finally realized that it was for the best.

So... now that the episode is almost upon us... who could Gould have wanted to appear in the finale that Gilligan nixed because it would distract from the other thing that's happening?  And what is the other thing that's happening that does not need any kind of distraction?

For example, could it have been a Gus cameo that was nixed because there are other Cartel-out-in-the-desert shenanigans going on?  Could Jimmy be taking his car to a familiar car wash?  Could the DEA be looking into a Cartel murder, where Hank and Gomez would surely have been a distraction?  Is Jesse's cancer-stricken aunt in the hospital around now?  Maybe she would have been in a room near to Chuck, and her loyal nephew would visit her.

I suppose it will become obvious when we see the episode.  We will see a scene and realize right away that it would have been perfect for someone specific to appear.

• Love 1
Jimmy probably still has power of attorney or status as next of kin for any of Chuck's medical decisions in the event Chuck is incapacitated. Chuck probably hasn't had time to change that since he figured out Jimmy's betrayal.

Ahhh interesting, I had forgotten about that. He changed the locks.....but not the power of attorney. So curious to see where this goes. 

There are so many ways for Chuck's fall to play out.  One I just thought of that would be sort of cool is if Chuck is comatose for awhile, may even need surgery for a subdural hematoma or something.  When he comes to, he's seen the light of how his resentment and animus has damaged Jimmy and himself, and takes responsibility for all of it.  He thinks he indeed made the transpositional error, and decides to retire from the law.  That would change the dynamic hugely, keep Chuck in the picture for at least a few episodes next season, and Jimmy would be soooo guilt-ridden. 

There are so many ways for Chuck's fall to play out.  One I just thought of that would be sort of cool is if Chuck is comatose for awhile, may even need surgery for a subdural hematoma or something.  When he comes to, he's seen the light of how his resentment and animus has damaged Jimmy and himself, and takes responsibility for all of it.  He thinks he indeed made the transpositional error, and decides to retire from the law.  That would change the dynamic hugely, keep Chuck in the picture for at least a few episodes next season, and Jimmy would be soooo guilt-ridden. 

I really hope they don't go in that direction. No, it isn't impossible, but people close to me work every day with patients who have experienced brain trauma, and the chance of that kind of outcome is very, very, very, small. Brain damage does not aid in developing better family dynamics, or does so infrequently that it barely is worthy of consideration.

I do think the writers have done a marvelous job of providing many plausible potential developments, but I just don't like that one, probably because of the personal experiences of people close to me.

• Love 2

I really hope they don't go in that direction. No, it isn't impossible, but people close to me work every day with patients who have experienced brain trauma, and the chance of that kind of outcome is very, very, very, small. Brain damage does not aid in developing better family dynamics, or does so infrequently that it barely is worthy of consideration.

I do think the writers have done a marvelous job of providing many plausible potential developments, but I just don't like that one, probably because of the personal experiences of people close to me.

Pretty trope-y, I will admit, but I like the possibility that Chuck makes a turnaround and then there's the huge irony of Chuck taking responsibility for something he did not do.  Mental illness is tricky and can be tragic, but is treatable for many people.  By the way, no offense is intended toward people with head injuries/mental illness. Two of my family members have recovered completely from subdural hematomas suffered in falls.   My husband is a trauma doc and our daughter is a mental health professional--sadness abounds, but also real hope.  I would like to see Chuck get better, instead of just die or languish in a coma.  No matter how they resolve it, though, there's going to be so much guilt for Jimmy. 

Pretty trope-y, I will admit, but I like the possibility that Chuck makes a turnaround and then there's the huge irony of Chuck taking responsibility for something he did not do.  Mental illness is tricky and can be tragic, but is treatable for many people.  By the way, no offense is intended toward people with head injuries/mental illness. Two of my family members have recovered completely from subdural hematomas suffered in falls.   My husband is a trauma doc and our daughter is a mental health professional--sadness abounds, but also real hope.  I would like to see Chuck get better, instead of just die or languish in a coma.  No matter how they resolve it, though, there's going to be so much guilt for Jimmy. 

I thought the writers last season were going to develop what is, sadly, among the most plausible plot developments involving mental illness. Remember when the police showed up at Chuck's house , and saw the ripped out electrical equipment, and thought a cime had/was taking place? I thought for sure that they were going to portray the all too common ineptitude of local police forces interacting with the mentally ill, resulting in tragedy. Luckily, we have had Chuck around for at least season 2. because I think he is critical to telling the story of how Jimmy became Saul. 

• Love 2

I'm remembering a great line from  the movie GROUNDHOG DAY when I think about Chuck.  "Anything different is GOOD!"

So, yeah, I'll welcome any kind of change in Chuck and his story.

I suppose it will become obvious when we see the episode.  We will see a scene and realize right away that it would have been perfect for someone specific to appear.

So... now that the episode is almost upon us... who could Gould have wanted to appear in the finale that Gilligan nixed because it would distract from the other thing that's happening?  And what is the other thing that's happening that does not need any kind of distraction?

My guess, and yes, partly from spoiler sources so I will tag it.

Gus will definitely show up.  Hank and/or Gomez will not, because it would take away from the Gus reveal. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

I haven't looked into it, but I heard somewhere that the actor may already have a gig preventing him from this for a while?  True, or BS?  Anyone know?

It would probably be more realistic that one of Gus's minions is the first to approach Mike anyway.

Well, now we know Fring's not back yet, but there's hope!

My son "ran into" Gus at last year's Walker Stalker Con:

11103036_10206502799868521_4180387752879

He's doing the Box Cutter pose!!!  And he has that telltale "Gus look" on his face -- the look that tells you he is no longer going to tolerate shenanigans, and is now losing his patience.  I love Gus! 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

From http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18/better-call-saul-season-2-finale-bob-odenkirk-klick-chuck

BOB ODENKIRK: ...I don’t know how Jimmy keeps his law license. [Laughs.] I don’t know how he doesn’t get disbarred. He doesn’t, though, because Saul has a license, we assume...

Jimmy probably can't talk his way out of this one...

If Jimmy gets disbarred, could he change his name (legally) and take the lawyer exams in the new name?