Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Chapter Sixty-Two

Jane has to learn how to handle her new love life, especially when the guy she is dating introduces her to his grandmother. Petra learns some interesting information about Chuck. Xo and Rogelio are eager to share their news with Jane, but want to try to take her feelings into consideration. Meanwhile, when Mateo starts asking questions, Jane and Rafael are forced to sit down with him and explain how their family came to be.

Promo:

(edited)

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or relieved that Jerky Pants ended up not being Scott's murderer. I'm sure the sketch will turn out to be Rose which means we'll be stuck with some lame Rose/Luisa storyline for the rest of the season.

YAY for Jane finally having sex with Fabian! I was afraid that she was beginning to go back to her damaged flower mindset courtesy of Alba. I HATE that Alba still thinks she is an innocent in this. The fact that she claims that she just "gave Jane some advice" and let Jane decide for herself is absolute bull shit. If you being indoctrinating a little girl that she is going to be dirty and unfixable before she's even hit puberty, you aren't letting her decide for herself. You are fucking brainwashing her into thinking that her sexual worth is all that matters. It makes me even angrier knowing that Alba's a total hypocrite since she had sex before marriage. Do as I say, not as I do.

Anyway, I'm really glad that Jane and Fabian are finally on the same page. I hope they leave things the way they are instead of having the show try to turn this into a relationship. I think Fabian is fun in small doses, but he's a little too similar to Rogelio for me to be comfortable with Jane dating him. Fabian is very sweet and eager and well-intentioned and he likes grand gestures, which is all well and good for the right person, but Jane clearly doesn't want to get serious with him (and that's okay - not every relationship has to be serious or long term).

The SatC homages were funny (although I still can't see those hideous nameplate necklaces without shuddering). They did a great job of adding a lot of Carrie stuff to those scenes while still letting Jane look like Jane. The restaurant scene with Rogelio as Charlotte cracked me up. Xo did a pretty good Samantha impression. Alba's red Miranda hair was hilarious. Ha, and the narrator said he's a Miranda!

While I understand Jane's shock at being flustered by Matteo's sex questions, this is why it is important to tell kids what sex is from an early age. There's no need to use euphemisms like "special hugs" and "swimmers." Just tell kids what sex is, the same way you should tell them about any other bodily function, using the correct anatomical names for parts. Otherwise you get confused little kids trying to give their friends "special hugs" at school so they can have babies together. Not telling kids what sex really is can lead to them believing that it's something they're not supposed to talk about or know about, or that it's supposed to be a secret or that it's shameful. Sound familiar, Jane? Having a healthy attitude about sex begins at an early age. What she and Rafael later told him about how he came to be was a good start because it's honest, not some made up fairy tale about storks or wishes.

It was very sweet of Xo and Rogelio to plan a small wedding for fear of upsetting Jane, but do they really think she is going to avoid church weddings for the rest of her life? I'm glad they are going to have a regular (non courthouse) wedding because obviously that's something Rogelio always wants, and it was obviously something that Xiomara wanted to. Loved the hairspiration page with all the big hair. I'm pretty sure I spotted Paula Abdul on that page. Xo's wedding scrapbook reminded me of the one Veronica Mars used when trying to book the penthouse at the Neptune Grand.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I think the sketch is Magda. I know we haven't seen her in awhile, but it's why Petra would look so shocked, and Magda has motive in protecting her daughters (she's a horrible mom but still a mom).

Could be Rose, but given how paranoid she is, seems like she wouldn't have been so foolish to show up in her own face. I think she was worried about getting caught last time she showed up not b/c of Scott's murder, but Michael's (since he did ultimately die of that gunshot wound). Though I would like them to tie up the Sin Rostro storyline. I started watching the show solely because of Bridget Regan (though quickly grew to love the whole cast and kept watching because it's overall a good show), but they're doing a terrible job with pacing this story. I'd rather they end it then keep bringing it up randomly, have it go nowhere, then drop it like a hot potato by the next episode. I know Regan and Yara Martinez have busy schedules... But either contract and pay them enough to do the story right, or just end it. Doing it halfassed does no one any favors, not the actresses, not the audience, not the show.

• Love 3

BRACELET LADY IS MICHAEL IN DRAG: As a fan of Michael's, I of course want his memory to remain pure. But as someone who finds the Scott death investigation to be less interesting than cement, the revelation that a beloved character was involved would be a welcome diversion. Since I'm not completely clear on the timeline -- did Anezka and Scott part ways before or after Michael's death? -- we have the added possibility that Michael isn't really dead. Maybe he's the evil genius! Now that would be a long con.

Stop giving me hope that there is a way back for Michael.  I very much miss his character, and the show sometimes feels flat without him.

I did like the SaTC parodies, they were very entertaining.  I'm a little tired of Ro and Xo, and would like to see them interacting with other characters. 

How many episodes are left? Can't be more than 1 or 2 right?

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think Fabian is fun in small doses, but he's a little too similar to Rogelio for me to be comfortable with Jane dating him. 

This. So MUCH. From his Tom Cuise reaction on the couch to the tantrum he threw when Jane told him she doesn't want anything serious... Yes, that was totally Rogelio. 

1 hour ago, DeathQuaker said:

I think the sketch is Magda. I know we haven't seen her in awhile, but it's why Petra would look so shocked, and Magda has motive in protecting her daughters (she's a horrible mom but still a mom).

I too thought about Rose first, but as you said, Petra would not look so shocked if it was Rose. And then I thought it might have been Anezka, but I really buy that she loved Scott. So yes, I think you are right, it has to be Magda... 

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed this episode. It was fun at times and serious at other times.

Alba and Jorge saying I love you was the cutest thing ever. I love that the show explore that aspect of a love relationship. Too often we see young or middle aged couples finding love, but rarely do we see older people like Alba falling in love and starting a new loving relationship.

Yay for Jane having sex with Fabian! But two things rubbed me the wrong way a bit about it all (and it has not much to do with Fabian at all). 1-Doesn't Jane have anyone else but her mom to talk sex with? It squeaked me out a bit that she basically talked to her mom about her burning loins like she would to, say, Lina. And 2-Why would she tell that to Rafael? Of course I want Jane and Raf together, so I didn't want her to tell him, but that felt weird that she would be so cavalier about it with him. Perhaps it is opening the door for those two to finally consummate...

Speaking of Rafael and Jane, I loved that the two of them explained to Mateo how he came to be. And I also LOVED LOVED LOVED that scene with the two of them scratching his back, texting one another. I do want the together, but there is no denying that even if they never en up together again, there is a beautiful connection between those two.

And no no no no no to Raf and Petra. Please show, I'm begging. It's kind of funny in a way that Petra is now caught in a love triangle of sort, between Chuck and Raf.

Edited by Bouffe
Dirty keyboard makes the r and e keys sticky.
  • Love 4

When Jane started texting as Matteo fell asleep, I was like dude, how rude, Jane! Then I saw that she was texting Rafael and it became cute. I really love them as best friends who co-parent, so I hope they stay that way. I don't want him to be with Petra, but at least if he thinks that he's in love with Petra, he isn't messing up the dynamic of his friendship with Jane.

Alba and Jorge saying I love you was the cutest thing ever. I love that the show explore that aspect of a love relationship. Too often we see young o middle aged couples finding love, but early do we see older people like Alba falling in love and starting a new loving relationship.

Especially considering how many older people Alba's age end up losing their partners to death or divorce and then manage to find love again in real life! But on tv, you're not allowed to find love after you're 40 because you're old and about to die. You can stay alive if you're a sassy old person though.

• Love 5

Jorge and Alba are adorbs!    

Ro and Xo being willing to give up their rediculous wedding for Jane was nice although I'm glad that got straightened out.

I assumed it was Rose in the picture just because she was brought up with Mateo earlier in the episode.

I haven't shipped Jane and Raf in a long, long time but in bed with Mateo?  I thought I probably could.

• Love 3

I didn't care at all whether Jane was going to have sex or not, I just wanted them to get that storyline over with. I'm a bit annoyed that they wasted like 5 episode of an otherwise uneventful part of the season just to make a point that women can have casual sex and it's OK. Which, sure, yeah, except that Sex and the City already did it and then some 15+ years ago. Speaking of which, the intro with Jane's face on the bus a la Carrie and later Rogelio as Charlotte cracked me up.

We're used to red herrings by now, so Petra's situation wasn't really dramatic or anything. I am curious to see who's on the sketch, Magda is a good bet.

Gosh, I just want this to go somewhere. I'm not sure I'm in for S4. These upcomming episodes better be GOOD.

10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I haven't shipped Jane and Raf in a long, long time but in bed with Mateo?  I thought I probably could.

Agreed.  I shipped Jane and Raf for awhile in season one, then grew pretty agnostic about the love triangle in season two, and have been strongly shipping them as just friends this season.  Last night was the first time in a looooong they made me swoon, just a little bit.

This episode had Ross/Rachel vibes all over it. It's exactly what happened on Friends a billion times - Ross and Rachel would appear to have moved on and be over each other, happily seeing other people - and then they'd randomly have *the moment*, just enough not to shut the door completely. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that Jane said that seeing her parents get back together is a dream come true in the same episode that Mateo mentioned wishing they all lived together.

So they're most definitely the end game and we're just a few more annoying love triangles away from it. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I HATE that Alba still thinks she is an innocent in this. The fact that she claims that she just "gave Jane some advice" and let Jane decide for herself is absolute bull shit. If you being indoctrinating a little girl that she is going to be dirty and unfixable before she's even hit puberty, you aren't letting her decide for herself. You are fucking brainwashing her into thinking that her sexual worth is all that matters. It makes me even angrier knowing that Alba's a total hypocrite since she had sex before marriage. Do as I say, not as I do.

I don't think Alba is being a hypocrite, necessarily, since sometimes the advice we give is based on the mistakes we felt we made or choices we wish we would have made.  That said, I do agree that the flower motif has been more something Jane had to get over and deal with rather than something that really helped her in her life.  Even asking if Jane regretted waiting was kind of manipulative given the fact that Jane is unlikely to paint something special she did with Michael as anything less than the way it was always meant to be now that he's dead. I appreciate that the show has kind of dealt with Jane's sexpectations largely based on romance novels and her grandmother's words.  And that's what makes it somewhat different than other "women are empowered to have sex too" stories.  It addressed the "so you were told good girls..."

I was impressed with the Sex and the City homage.  Xo's Sam was really on point.  I don't know what I would have done with Ro and Alba.  On one hand, Alba is more prudish like a Charlotte but Rogelio doesn't seem like a Miranda either.

• Love 1

I love Jane and Raf as friends, and I'm alright with them staying that way. I don't want them to break up again and create more drama when they're in such a good place right now. Then texting on the bed was adorable!

I know that Xo and Jane have a super close relationship, and they are kind of friends as well as mother/daughter, but it always kind of squiks me out when they chat about their sex lives. Its just a little weird! She couldn't Skype Lina or someone?

Xo makes for a great Sam, and Rogelio as Charlotte was hilarious. I assume he's the Charlotte not because he's a prude, but because he's rather preppy. I thought it was sweet that Xo and Rogelio didn't want a big wedding because they didn't want to remind Jane too much of her wedding, but I knew they would want a big wedding. They could get married in space!

*Sigh* Remember how lovely and happy Jane and Michaels wedding was? Remember when Michael said his vows in Spanish? Those were the good times.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think Alba is being a hypocrite, necessarily, since sometimes the advice we give is based on the mistakes we felt we made or choices we wish we would have made.  That said, I do agree that the flower motif has been more something Jane had to get over and deal with rather than something that really helped her in her life.  Even asking if Jane regretted waiting was kind of manipulative given the fact that Jane is unlikely to paint something special she did with Michael as anything less than the way it was always meant to be now that he's dead. I appreciate that the show has kind of dealt with Jane's sexpectations largely based on romance novels and her grandmother's words.  And that's what makes it somewhat different than other "women are empowered to have sex too" stories.  It addressed the "so you were told good girls..."

I was impressed with the Sex and the City homage.  Xo's Sam was really on point.  I don't know what I would have done with Ro and Alba.  On one hand, Alba is more prudish like a Charlotte but Rogelio doesn't seem like a Miranda either.

I think Alba was very much a hypocrite in the way she scared Jane into being a virgin before she had even hit puberty. Yes, we sometimes give advice based on our own mistakes, but there's a big difference between me telling my younger sister, "You know, when I started college, I went to a party and drank WAY too much. The next day I was so sick that I could barely get out of bed to puke. I couldn't look at anything fruit flavored without wanting to vomit for two weeks! If you don't want to make the same mistake, maybe consider having just one drink and seeing how you feel before you have five more," versus "IF YOU EVER HAVE A SIP OF ALCOHOL YOU WILL BECOME AN ALCOHOLIC, LIVE ON THE STREETS, AND DIE ALONE! ONLY HORRIBLE PEOPLE LIKE MURDERERS DRINK ALCOHOL BUT IF YOU WANT TO BE A SERIAL KILLER THEN GO RIGHT AHEAD AND START DRINKING THOSE WINE COOLERS. I HOPE YOU LIKE HOT WEATHER BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO HELL!"

Alba wasn't giving Jane advice and letting her choose. She was telling her that she would be worthless if she didn't do exactly as she told her to, as well as conveniently leaving out the part where she wasn't a virgin when she got married. She was threatening and shaming her in hopes of keeping her a virgin. When Alba asked if Jane regretted staying a virgin until she got married, I was really hoping she would say, "Yes, I do regret it because I could have experienced that amazing intimate feeling with Michael FOR YEARS before he died!"

It just really makes me angry that Alba was so fucking judgmental about premarital sex. You aren't going straight to hell because you have sex, so quit making it into this dirty, shameful thing. Did she also tell Jane that blow jobs were off the table before marriage? There is a wide range of things that cover sex so I think it's silly to say that it's just that one act of p in v penetration that is forbidden (and how we end up with high school girls who say they're virgins because they've only had anal sex). Slut shaming just makes me so mad. Quit trying to control other women's bodies and their self worth. If you don't want to have sex, fine, but quit judging everyone else who chooses to have sex.

ETA: @Irlandesa - heh, I got a little heated there at the end, but I wasn't directing my rant at you!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know that Xo and Jane have a super close relationship, and they are kind of friends as well as mother/daughter, but it always kind of squiks me out when they chat about their sex lives. Its just a little weird! She couldn't Skype Lina or someone?

I am SO glad I am not the only one who feels this way! As you said I know their relationship is extremely close, but that was a little too much "sharing with mom" for me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Joana said:

This episode had Ross/Rachel vibes all over it. It's exactly what happened on Friends a billion times - Ross and Rachel would appear to have moved on and be over each other, happily seeing other people - and then they'd randomly have *the moment*, just enough not to shut the door completely. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that Jane said that seeing her parents get back together is a dream come true in the same episode that Mateo mentioned wishing they all lived together.

So they're most definitely the end game and we're just a few more annoying love triangles away from it. 

I kind of hope that the show goes another direction. I don't like to think that just because it's been done one way on another iconic show, it has to go that way on this one.  I love Jane and Rafael's relationship as it is right now.  

• Love 1

Shocking twist: the woman in the sketch will be Alba!

There's something rather odd about needing your mommy's encouragement to go have sex with some fling. Or is it just a fling? Maybe Fabian is right about his skillz, and once you pop, you can't stop. At least they didn't use hand sanitizer as lube. I full-body cringed when Xo-as-Samantha mentioned that. I've never seen SATC. Is that something Samantha actually said or something made up as the sort of thing she would say? Sounds like a great way to get a yeast infection! Kill off all your good bacteria! Yeesh.

I'm glad Rogelio and Xo are doing the big wedding they clearly want. The courthouse thing was well-intentioned, but dim and pointless. A wedding might remind Jane of Michael? Um, he was her husband; I'm sure anything and everything reminds her of him and she hasn't forgotten him at all! Why would being reminded of him be a bad thing? She likes to remember him! And as mentioned above, things like having sex and seeing police officers seem more likely triggers. No reason other people shouldn't have Rogelio-style weddings. The question is, does the show actually have the budget for a no-holds-barred Rogelio-style wedding? Although maybe Rogelio has to be on a limited budget due to the settlement over his reality show with Darcy.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:57 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The SatC homages were funny (although I still can't see those hideous nameplate necklaces without shuddering). They did a great job of adding a lot of Carrie stuff to those scenes while still letting Jane look like Jane. The restaurant scene with Rogelio as Charlotte cracked me up. Xo did a pretty good Samantha impression. Alba's red Miranda hair was hilarious. Ha, and the narrator said he's a Miranda!

Jaime Camil is a national treasure.

I enjoyed it all. Esp when Ro was disappointed thinking Xo told Jane without him. I love that he wiggled his ring finger right at her face like an newly engaged woman. TEE!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Enginerd said:

There's something rather odd about needing your mommy's encouragement to go have sex with some fling. Or is it just a fling? Maybe Fabian is right about his skillz, and once you pop, you can't stop. At least they didn't use hand sanitizer as lube. I full-body cringed when Xo-as-Samantha mentioned that. I've never seen SATC. Is that something Samantha actually said or something made up as the sort of thing she would say? 

I believe it was intended to be something she could have said. And probably has done. Alba as Miranda wasn't as funny, though, because she was cleary shoehorned into the role. Those two are nothing alike. Miranda had issues with intimacy, not sex. Alba is Miranda's housekeeper Magda, who once went through her drawers and replaced her vibrator with a statue of Virgin Mary! Sadly, she never had brunch with the gals, so she couldn't be a part of this scene.

Hearing "You've only dogded a bullet if it's too small" from your own mother (even in a parody scene) is so icky. I also disliked Jane's conversations about sex with Xiomara. When she was having trouble getting into groove with Michael they had a conversation that seemed about appropriate. This here wasn't. 

Jane really, really needs a friend or two. I hate it when shows become so insular and forget that their characters have lives or any human interaction exept with other regular characters. S1 was nothing like that. It happens a lot, unfortunately. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 1

Remember when Jane had a second close friend at work besides Lina? And then there was that dude who worked at the restaurant also. I can't even remember her name now. But since Lina isn't available all the time anymore, they should give Jane another good friend. I like her and Raf as friends, but can't there be someone else she could have these friend-type conversations with? Bring that other one back! Did that friendship fall apart when the layoffs happened? I don't remember. Or if that actress isn't available and they don't want to spend story time on developing a new friendship, she could have an old friend from school who is now back in town and make it known that they already know each other so they could just jump right into doing friend things.

I was a bit agog at the Telenovela Blessing (can't imagine what would happen if anyone tried to do that at my workplace!) but of course it ended up being funny.

20 hours ago, Joana said:

I never watched "Friends" but I did watch OTH. I've always compared them to Leyton. J/R's relationship also very telenovela which the show is based on. 

I really liked Rogelio's comment on continuity and everything going on while he said it!

I'm glad Jane finally had sex with Fabian. I hope they don't have this come back on her in some way. Sometimes (most times) people have sex without marriage and it's OK! It's OK to wait if you want to (and while I agree Alba was forceful in her message to Jane, Jane also had her mom there *not* following Alba's advice. Her life may not have been perfect, but she was a good person overall and Jane could hopefully see both sides and make her own choice). But now Jane's done it and she's fine. I was actually expecting more about it being her first time since Michael and was a bit surprised she didn't get cold feet from that. But now it's over and done with (for which I'm glad. That felt like forever to get to that point and I don't think Fabian has been around all that long yet!).

When Jane was on the phone getting her sex pep talk, I hoped she was talking to Petra! I like seeing them bond. I think there's room for more of that.

Rogelio-as-Charlotte's dog being named Salma Hayek cracked me up. Charlotte's dog was named Elizabeth Taylor.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, Enginerd said:

I'm glad Rogelio and Xo are doing the big wedding they clearly want. The courthouse thing was well-intentioned, but dim and pointless. A wedding might remind Jane of Michael? Um, he was her husband; I'm sure anything and everything reminds her of him and she hasn't forgotten him at all! Why would being reminded of him be a bad thing? She likes to remember him! And as mentioned above, things like having sex and seeing police officers seem more likely triggers. No reason other people shouldn't have Rogelio-style weddings. The question is, does the show actually have the budget for a no-holds-barred Rogelio-style wedding? Although maybe Rogelio has to be on a limited budget due to the settlement over his reality show with Darcy.

I agree that the no big wedding thing was pointless especially since neither of them really tried to find out how Jane felt but I'm not sure the problem was reminding Jane of Michael so much as reminding her of her Rogelio-planned wedding almost immediately after which Michael was shot which led to his death only six months later. Jane loves and remembers Michael but I'm guessing memories of her wedding day are even more bittersweet than most Michael memories