Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E24: The Quickening

Dr Bashir and Lt Dax visit a world the Dominion had punished by infecting them with a genetically engineered plague: Bashir struggles to find a cure.

OK, ten minutes in, I was actually angry at this episode. When Bashir goes off on Trevean for practicing euthanasia, I got the distinct impression TPTB were trying to say, "You should always rage, rage against the dying of the light!" (to quote Dylan Thomas). But to give them their dues, although the villagers DO turn against Bashir when it turns out the Dominion were more insidiously evil than Bashir had accounted for, it doesn't cause hostility so much as resignation. And I did like that even though the "cure" only worked on unborn babies, Bashir is hailed as a hero and Trevean is as happy as anyone to spread the vaccine (and that even so, Bahir is still working on an actual cure after he leaves the planet).

(edited)

I'm not sure how the biology works with this "vaccine." So - apparently it's not going to do anyone any good but if they get pregnant they can get the vaccine and their babies will be OK. Um, OK? I mean, the one woman was already pregnant so apparently her baby was already infected and the vaccine "cured" the baby in utero. Does that mean you first have to get pregnant, then get the vaccine? Or can you get the vaccine and then it will work once you are pregnant? If it "cured" the baby in utero I see no reason it wouldn't cure children or adults just the same.

This is one of those tedious "character study" episodes that ultimately led to me disliking this series in a way I never did with TNG or Voyager. Not that I don't appreciate some insight into Julian's motivations but there are just far too many episodes about "what makes so-and-so tick" given the urgency of the series premise. 

Edited by iMonrey

There are actually a lot of drugs that will affect a developing fetus in ways they will not affect even a newborn child, much less adults.  That part didn't bother me at all.  Some of that is the same reason pregnant women can't take certain meds tat are fine if they aren't pregnant in our world.  , I did like some attention to life under the Dominion--they weren't bad only because of the war but were also bad to live under.