Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: The Song in Your Heart

• Start Topic

In flashback, Snow and Charming make a special wish that Emma will be protected. The result of their wish has the whole kingdom bursting into song which infuriates the Evil Queen. Meanwhile in Storybrooke, the Black Fairy announces her plans to unleash another curse on the town while Emma and Hook prepare for their wedding.

• Love 1

OK, I liked this episode overall.  Favorite line by Imp Rumple: "Sing? I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty fork!!"  But really the songs overall were great, and the actors sang well, especially Josh Dallas.

• Love 10

Well, "Once More With Feeling," that ain't. 

I think they could have cut out a lot of this, eliminated the singing and .. well probably still have had the same result. (I even missed a good 1/4 of the episode - and i don't feel like catching it up on it).  yet another retcon/memory wipe. i'm surprised these people don't have swiss cheese for brains with all the removal of stuff in there. 

• Love 14

What a perfect representation of this series. Some beautiful moments that genuinely delighted me spread among moments that mildly infuriated me and made me question why the writers choose to make their show this way. 

• Love 23
(edited)

There will never be another episode as good as this one.

Sorry, not sorry...I loved it.  

Pretty much my reaction. I thought both the music and the wedding were wonderful. While I think we should have gotten more wedding prep, the ceremony/reception itself was good for me.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 13

I liked it - for the sheer novelty of it.  But TSTW - nothing happened for 50 minutes.  We got as little wedding as possible.  I just do not understand that at all (I mean I do, but it is still so frustrating).

• Love 3
Just now, gik910 said:

We got as little wedding as possible.  I just do not understand that at all (I mean I do, but it is still so frustrating).

Loved the episode, but agree.  Once we got into the second half hour, I kept calculating in my head how many minutes were left for the wedding.

• Love 2

Still traveling this week, so I got to watch three hours early, but I missed the first five minutes and have no DVR. This episode wasn't as cringe-worthy as I thought it would be--I apparently have high standards for musical episodes. I wasn't sure if Jen Morrison was actually singing for parts of her song as she sounded quite a bit different.

I also mistakenly thought tonight was a two hour episode, so I was surprised when we jumped to the wedding more quickly than expected. I'm a little disappointed that after so many years, this was the wedding we got. Per my comment last week, it went from "let's postpone" to "tomorrow," and it felt rushed. Also, couldn't the show have found a wedding venue in Vancouver instead of lousy CG?

Emma's dress was a replica of Grace Kelly's. I missed part of the dress discussion when Snow's turned black--was there any mention of this? 

Also, hello dance ensemble of people we've never seen in town before!

• Love 6

Ok so I haven't watched since literally baby Gideon was in dream world whatever eight billion episodes ago that was, but I'm invested in Hook & Emma and couldn't miss their big wedding. Gin and Josh were adorable, great Disney-esque song. Enjoyed Hooks song. Felt just OK with Greenies. Could have done without Lana. The end song was cute. I actually didn't really like Emma's song and I LOVE the theme music for Emma's Theme. In any case it looked OK, pacing felt weird and fast, but I suppose I'll watch the finale then go back and see. Do we know yet if this silly show is picked up or not for next season?

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually disappointed Belle didn't get to be in the musical episode.

Nice to see the show trending on Twitter. So is "#OnceUponAMusical" and "Emma".

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
Just now, KingOfHearts said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually disappointed Belle didn't get to be in the musical episode.

Yes I was wondering where she was and what she was doing - unless she was sleeping through the whole thing courtesy of Rumple trying to hide his villainy once again

• Love 3

"A heart full of love is the most precious treasure of all..."

What a precious payoff for watching them the last 4 years.  Having been burned by shows before, (Castle), I'm delighted that Hook and Emma got their moment in the sun(set).  I could've handled half of the episode being the wedding and reception but am grateful for what we got.  I can't stop smiling and rewatching.

The fashion for the ladies was dismal especially Snow and Emma.  The princess Grace dress just doesn't work and the makeup was too severe.

I love the call backs to their first dance at a ball. I wonder if they didn't dance as much because Colin broke his foot filming the pirate scene?

I'm ok with the CGI wedding, apparently the plan was to be out doors, hence the long sleeve dress but it looks like they kept it in studio probably for weather as much as spoilers.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved it! The songs were very Disney and were done well. The cast is so multi-talented! The vows made me tear up a bit! It was nice to see Emma take charge.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Watt said:

Do we know yet if this silly show is picked up or not for next season?

Don't know if it means anything...but while showing the previews for next week, they used the words "season finale" (as opposed to "series finale"). 

• Love 4

Some of it was awkward or goofy or corny but still enjoyable.  Does anyone know if all the singing was actually done by the actors?  Some of them didn't sound like professional singers, so I figured it must be really them.

I actually liked the scene with Zelena singing (I normally don't care for her), BUT her brilliant plan of helping Regina in order to show Rumple that she was better at magic than her sister was sort of WTF? IMO.  Didn't make much sense.  Of course none of the villains on this show make much sense.

While everyone was dancing and singing after the wedding, I figured the BF's curse was coming.  Shouldn't everyone have been a little more concerned about that?  Shouldn't Emma tried to defeat her so the curse wouldn't be cast?  Am I nuts?  Seems really stupid not to have Emma recruit Regina (the only other magic user who would be willing to help) to take on the BF.

And where are Belle and Gideon?  Are they still asleep?  Shouldn't they be kinda pissed off at Rumple?

• Love 4

Love the wedding and the Snowing singing. Jennifer's was lovely too.

I still wish they had gone with a different dress, but whatever.

It reminded me of the days when this show was fun. I really hope this season is the last and we can have a happy ending to put us out of all this endless retconning.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm surprised that the Black Fairy didn't acknowledge Henry since they are related. 

There's "family" and then there's "meshpukah"! Besides, it's Henry!!!

2 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

While everyone was dancing and singing after the wedding, I figured the BF's curse was coming.  Shouldn't everyone have been a little more concerned about that?  Shouldn't Emma tried to defeat her so the curse wouldn't be cast?  Am I nuts?  Seems really stupid not to have Emma recruit Regina (the only other magic user who would be willing to help) to take on the BF.

I have my heart, my whole family is back, my magic is stronger than ever -- ehh, let's have a wedding and not worry about the Curse!

No, you're not nuts -- these guys are.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

Some of it was awkward or goofy or corny but still enjoyable.  Does anyone know if all the singing was actually done by the actors?  Some of them didn't sound like professional singers, so I figured it must be really them.

I actually liked the scene with Zelena singing (I normally don't care for her), BUT her brilliant plan of helping Regina in order to show Rumple that she was better at magic than her sister was sort of WTF? IMO.  Didn't make much sense.  Of course none of the villains on this show make much sense.

And where are Belle and Gideon?  Are they still asleep?  Shouldn't they be kinda pissed off at Rumple?

It's called "Quick!  Shoehorn in the wedding, because we might not get picked up for next year and we've got to get them married so people watch the next series we create! " or, the network told them to do the wedding now because they are on the bubble.

Because normally they would've vanished the villain dujour aka the BF first and started to plan the wedding.

• Love 9

The dress and headpiece looked even worse in motion and Jen looked twenty years older as a result. I was afraid of that. 

I found the episode itself to be pretty forgettable. Ginny and Josh sounded great (though they clearly skipped lip sync class), Bex, Colin, and Jen were ok, and Lana sounded horrible. 

The only part that really stood out for me was that little shit Henry telling Emma he brought her to Storybrooke for The Final Battle. Really? I thought it was because Regina didn't love you. And that she was secretly the Evil Queen who was oppressing the town. I also remember you telling Emma it was her job to bring back happy endings. Now it's because of The Final Battle? Which you never bothered to mention until recently? Make up your mind kid. I seriously hate this character. 

I do remember another thing. Thank you, Emma, for correcting Hook about their wedding being a happy beginning. Happy ending implies someone died so the show's insistence on using it over and over is annoying. 

• Love 9

Emma really looked beautiful and like a princess this whole episode especially when she had that lone tear on her check.  So happy she found out she wasn't alone this whole time.  Henry has grown so much !

I have never hated Belle   She was not missed by me this episode and happy no one invited her to the wedding. 

Did the blue fairy finally do something right ?  

This episode brought me to my happy place.  And just for old times sake glad Leroy was the one to yell about the curse LOL

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jul 68 said:

Loved Emma's dress and makeup, especially her lipstick. It was all beautiful.

THAT should have been how the show ended.

I agree. This definitely should've been the finale. Loved everything about it. I thought for sure it would be so cringeworthy, but they all did a great job.

• Love 14

I don't know if I was just in the right mood or the show has recently disappointed me so much that I was yearning for anything to shake things up, but I actually enjoyed it.  Very cheesy and sappy at times, but it put a smile on my face and even made me laugh, which is something this show hasn't done lately (at least not intentionally.)

Surprised over how good the cast was, assuming they did the singing themselves.  In particular, I was surprised over the pipes and range Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin  had for their songs.  Colin O'Donoghue was solid, as was Jennifer Morrison and Rebecca Mader.  Also liked the snippets of the side players, because I imagine actors like Tony Amendola, Beverly Elliot, and Lee Arenberg (character, supporting actors instead of stars) probably have numerous stage and singing experience.  Loved the Giancarlo Esposito appearance as well.  I think the only one that felt a little bit rough was Lana Parrilla, but granted a lot of that could have been the style and song they choose for Regina.  Well, Jared Gilmore's one line made me snicker.  Sorry, I know he was trying his best.  But the whole cast really did seem to be enjoying themselves, which really made the episode work.

The various songs and variations where fun, although Snow and Charming's was my favorite.  Also, there where times where felt like Hook's was getting close into Queen territory (in particular, "Somebody to Love.")  And Regina's style reminded me of Rent.

That said, yeah, basically it was filler for the Black Fairy terrorizing Emma, Emma fights back, and then the wedding happens, even though they know the Curse is still going to happen.  I guess they're just going to let it be unleashed and see what happens?

I guess Robert Carlyle wasn't down for any singing, although at least Rumple made a few appearances.  Belle apparently just vanished.

I wonder how it was decided that Archie got to officiate the wedding?

Jaime Murray is still a delightful camp as The Black Fairy.  Too bad she will likely already be taken out of the equation in the finale (no spoilers.)  I wish they had spent more time setting her up instead of wasting time with all the stuff that went nowhere.

• Love 3

I loved it!

The opening song sequence with Snow and Charming was just perfect and they had such great voices. 

I kind of laughed at Charming & Snow going to Pirate Hook to help save their unborn daughter. Hook's so robbing the cradle. She wasn't even born yet in the flashback and he marries her by the end of the episode. lol 

Emma dancing and happily getting married just showed how far she has come. She has grown so much from the person who had so many commitment issues. 

The entire cast (minus Rump) being together for the wedding I loved. The final scene ending with the wedding, the song, everyone together and dancing should have been the last scene of the season. I loved all the Dwarves dressed up in their similar looking suits, dancing in a conga line. Everyone just happy and singing together. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also, there where times where felt like Hook's was getting close into Queen territory (in particular, "Somebody to Love.")  

OMG, thank you! I knew that song reminded me of something, down to the guitar riffs. Pure Brian May.

Still love the song, but it was very much more Queen than Disney.

• Love 4

Why was Archie/Jiminy the officiant?

Is he ordained?  Is he a judge or magistrate?  Isn't Regina the mayor?  SHE should have been the officiant!

(I just checked Maine's marriage laws -- they don't have Justices of the Peace, but lawyers who are members of the Maine Bar can officiate.  Here in Pennsylvania where I live, mayors can perform marriages.)

I liked Emma's dress much  better than that fringy thing Snow brought her.  Good thing it turned black!

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Jul 68 said:

THAT should have been how the show ended.

If they cut off the final 30 seconds of the Black Fairy's curse, this really would have been an amazing series finale. The season finale next week is going to feel like a downgrade after this episode.

25 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm surprised that the Black Fairy didn't acknowledge Henry since they are related. 

Yeah, and what was the point of poofing Regina and Zelena into the frozen room if Emma didn't even acknowledge them? She only sang at her parents and Hook.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I kind of laughed at Charming & Snow going to Pirate Hook to help save their unborn daughter. Hook's so robbing the cradle. She wasn't even born yet in the flashback and he marries her by the end of the episode. lol

Could you imagine him truly finding someone his own age?

Isn't Rumple the only person left who is (that we know of)?

• Love 2
(edited)

Wedding vows made me cry..but some of those tears were for what thus ep and show could have been.

Best visual for me..Charming cupping Emma's head for the whole 3 secs they got to dance together..

Edited by PixiePaws1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also, there where times where felt like Hook's was getting close into Queen territory (in particular, "Somebody to Love.")

The songwriters were live Tweeting the episode and mentioned that they deliberately made Hook's number a bit Freddie Mercury because of his experience singing in a rock band (and probably because he's got a similar vocal range, with that high tenor voice).

I have extremely mixed feelings about this episode that I need to sort through. Musically, I actually loved it, and I'm a musical snob. But I had issues with the writing around the music. The episode was good, but it should have been better.

I wonder if they'll be releasing the soundtrack on CD or just for iTunes.

• Love 9

My only problem with the episode was that whole "Emma was never alone." Sorry but Emma grew up miserable because she was alone. Of course she know knows she had parents who loved and wanted her but that doesn't negate the shitty things that happened to her. Also Henry's acting made me cringe more than the singing.

I loved Emma correcting Killian but I think I loved him even more for congratulating Emma on getting her happy ending and the way he looked at her while she was twirling like she was the moon.

This stupid show could've been awesome if these writers spent more time on these characters and less on plot.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I have extremely mixed feelings about this episode that I need to sort through. Musically, I actually loved it, and I'm a musical snob. But I had issues with the writing around the music. The episode was good, but it should have been better.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I loved most of the musical numbers, but it felt very choppy jumping back and forth between the lighthearted musical flashbacks and the melodramatic serious scenes in present day. As much fun as the musical numbers were, they weren't necessary in the grand scheme of things.

There were also a lot of pointless scenes sprinkled in the present day, like Emma and Snow's conversation about the wedding dress. Emma said she narrowed her choices down to two, then Snow offered her wedding dress. Emma ended up wearing none of those three options and magically showed up wearing Grace Kelly's dress.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Best visual for me..Charming cupping Emma's head for the whole 3 secs they got to dance together..

Josh and Jen really do give off a good father-daughter vibe in their short scenes together.  For some reason, I think their connection comes off stronger than Snow-Emma.

I thought it was an entertaining episode.  Yes, a lot of it did not make sense, but it was fun.  The scene with everyone dancing and mixing it up really would have been a nice closing shot for the series.  If it ends up continuing with a partial cast for another year or two, it won't have the same emotional impact than this scene with everyone together.

I am sure this is minority opinion, but I am not a big fan of television weddings, so I was ok with the actual ceremony only being about ten minutes.  Plus, I thought the wedding itself was very touching.

I am hoping the Black Fairy gets an old fashioned villain perishing and knowing they failed with no hint of redemption at her death.

I do think Snow and Charming need to see a doctor about why Neal appears to still be an infant and not aged at all in three seasons.  I know time moves slowly, but it seems like he should be a little older, esp since their grandson seems to have aged about 5 years during that time.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Curio said:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I loved most of the musical numbers, but it felt very choppy jumping back and forth between the lighthearted musical flashbacks and the melodramatic serious scenes in present day. As much fun as the musical numbers were, they weren't necessary in the grand scheme of things.

There were also a lot of pointless scenes sprinkled in the present day, like Emma and Snow's conversation about the wedding dress. Emma said she narrowed her choices down to two, then Snow offered her wedding dress. Emma ended up wearing none of those three options and magically showed up wearing Grace Kelly's dress.

I would have liked better if Emma wore Snow's dress. Or at least something more modern.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Watt said:

Ok so I haven't watched since literally baby Gideon was in dream world whatever eight billion episodes ago that was, but I'm invested in Hook & Emma and couldn't miss their big wedding. Gin and Josh were adorable, great Disney-esque song. Enjoyed Hooks song. Felt just OK with Greenies. Could have done without Lana. The end song was cute. I actually didn't really like Emma's song and I LOVE the theme music for Emma's Theme. In any case it looked OK, pacing felt weird and fast, but I suppose I'll watch the finale then go back and see. Do we know yet if this silly show is picked up or not for next season?

I read that they are nearing a renewal for a Seventh season. But only have Jennifer, Colin, Lana and Robert signed for it.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Sarcastica said:

Her and Killian are married and that is all I care about. 

This is what I keep repeating to myself. I'm tempted to write up a long analysis and nitpick things apart, but I just end up deleting my thoughts because, "Don't care, Emma and Killian are finally married."

• Love 12

Wicked Always Wins was the highlight of the night for me.  Loved the music and Bex's voice was a nice surprise. 

I wish they had given Evil Queen something a little more catchy. I feel like she could have had a knock down-drag out number with all of her emotion and baggage at that time, but the final product was just ok, not something that'll be remembered a month from now. Lana's voice sounded much better in the group clip at the end. 

And Henry is the actual worst. In every stupid possible way.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Curio said:

Emma said she narrowed her choices down to two, then Snow offered her wedding dress. Emma ended up wearing none of those three options and magically showed up wearing Grace Kelly's dress.

THIS!  The other two options looked nothing like what she wore!  It makes no sense!  Other than we know Jenn wanted to wear the Grace Kelly dress because it gave off a vintage vibe.  Incidentally, it was funny how they incorporated the tux Hook was supposed to wear (ivory).

So how did Emma and Hook have time to shop for new, new wedding clothes between the Mayor's office and the ceremony?

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoyed the ep as a whole -- it made me happy, and it's been a LONG time since I could say that about an episode of Once. Though I do wish they had done some things differently -- way less EQ, more time devoted to Emma/Hook since it WAS their wedding ep. But they seem to have dropped all their caring about CS this season and have scenes for them simply because they have to. That said, the actors did wonderfully with what little time they were given for the wedding. But their relationship should have been much more a focus of the episode. It's truly magical.

It really should have been the series finale, minus the curse. "A Happy Beginning" left me with such a happy, upbeat, satisfied feeling. That's how I want to be left feeling when shows I watch end. I'm sure nothing else they come up with will be remotely as satisfying.

Hook's song was my favorite, followed by "A Happy Beginning." They both have stuck in my head like glue. I think Josh Dallas did the best of everybody, which isn't surprising given his background. WHY did they give Lana the most material when she was the weakest singer? (I know why.)

Edited by Souris
  • Love 15

Amazon digital music has it. I have an Amazon gift card coming to me, so I may be buying a few songs. Probably not the whole album, though.

Anyway, I've thought a little more, and here's my issue: I actually loved the idea of the plot device they used to explain the singing. I'm a musician, so I am totally on board with the idea that music is magic and that a song you carry in your heart is the best defense against whatever life might throw at you. It's even a rather lovely idea that all the songs of the people who now love Emma were given to her before she was born to carry her through life and provide powerful magic when she needed it. But that's not exactly what they showed us, and this goes back to the criticism of the songs that I gave in the spoiler thread when we heard them out of context, and it's even more true in this context. Other than the Charmings' song, these songs were terrible as something to put in Emma's heart. They were all villain songs that were essentially serving the function of introducing the villain characters and the focus of their villainy. If this were a self-contained musical, they'd have been great Act One songs to introduce them, then maybe something would have happened in Act Two to change them. But not only did these songs not tell us anything new about these characters that might only have come out if they were singing, the context of the story was such that they really should have shown us these characters' potential for love if these were supposed to be the songs that would later give Emma power.

So, for instance, Hook could have found himself singing about his lost love and whether he would ever love again, or at the very least should have really tied his desire for revenge to his lost love, which would have connected to his marriage vows. Would Regina singing about how much she hates Emma's mother really be something to give Emma power? Shouldn't having to sing have made her more vulnerable, and in a way that pissed her off? And Zelena really didn't belong. She seemed to get a song because Rebecca Mader has a great voice, not because Zelena fit. We've never seen the slightest hint that she gives a damn about Emma. Her song wouldn't be anything Emma should be carrying in her heart, and especially not a song about how great it is to be wicked. In place of that, maybe there should have been more of an ensemble number of the Charmings' allies who have been part of Emma's life (and not just as seen in Regina's mirrors).

Meanwhile, the present-day part of the story made no sense at all. We still don't know why the Black Fairy is bothering with this. She seems to be picking a fight because she feels obligated by prophecy. The whole "Final Battle" seems pointless and anticlimactic. She should have some strongly stated goal.

Plus, there was magic in the past that caused choreographed musical numbers to break out. What was happening in the present? Emma just starts singing at her wedding, and Hook knows the song to join in, and no one's surprised by this. And then her parents improvise a line or two, and everyone else joins in, and there's accompaniment? Maybe they should have indicated that this was a side effect of Emma letting out that music magic. This show isn't normally a musical, so we can't treat it like one. We haven't really heard these people singing before. It's not like Hook and Charming hang out in the pub singing pub songs together or like Emma and Hook have been having karaoke nights at home together. And now they're all suddenly bursting out in song and nobody thinks this is odd.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Curio said:

This is what I keep repeating to myself. I'm tempted to write up a long analysis and nitpick things apart, but I just end up deleting my thoughts because, "Don't care, Emma and Killian are finally married."

Yep. There were definitely issues with the episode but Captain Swan are married so don't give a crap about picking the episode apart tonight.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

Wicked Always Wins was the highlight of the night for me.  Loved the music and Bex's voice was a nice surprise. 

I know, I loved "Wicked Always Wins." The lyrics were hilarious and Bex's voice was so pretty. The final song with all the characters was my second favorite, then Hook's in third. I thought Morrison and Parilla were the weakest singers, but I didn't hate any of the songs really.

• Love 3

The last 10 minutes had me grinning like a loon, so I'm trying to just block out all the weird stuff that came before it. Sorry, but all the scenes in the Mayor's office and Sheriff station were just really strange to me. Also, was that another failed TLK btw Emma & Hook? 

• Love 2