Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

I've only watched her cooking show, which I think is reruns, so no, I don't find her any of those things. I have not watched her as host of various competition shows, however

That's interesting - I've never found her snotty and condescending on her cooking show,  just on her various competition shows.  And it seems to me like she gets worse every season, that is, more snotty and more condescending.

I loved Melissa during her season and have continued to enjoy her.  FN stuck her with that horrible concept of $10 Dinners, so a large part of the time, people were watching to nitpick whether the math worked or not.    The nastiness that was directed to her over whether or not you could buy the ingredients in your area for what she said was crazy IMO.  

She comes across as warm and friendly to me.  She is poised and well educated.  

There are several FN personalities who i can't stand, namely that Alex woman, Anne Burrell and Ina.  They come across as snobby and condescending.

Of the FN winners, Melissa tops the list for me of the ones I like, with Damaris second.  I do like Guy but he has gotten over exposed.  The winners I do not like are Justin, Aarti and Sandwich King.  Justin was too full of himself, Aarti was fake and Mauto is a buffoon.

I totally agree with you about Melissa - Finally someone who agrees with me!   I also thought it was unfair that people expected to find the ingredients at those prices in high end supermarkets in expensive towns without even looking for a sale or a discount store.  It's like they deliberately priced those things at the most expensive store they could find just to bash her!

I used to dislike Jeff but I think his experience on "The Kitchen" is helping him become more suave and he is growing on me.  I see signs of hope with him, although he can still be bufoonish at times.  I agree about Justin.  I think I was duped as a lot of people were that season into liking him, then we found out there was something not quite right with him or at the very least he was a hipster/poser who is too good for me, you and everyone on Food Network.  I liked Aarti on her season but she wore thin what with her annoying giggle, etc.   I liked her even less on that show with Melissa on "The Cooking Channel".  And I really wanted to like her, too.  Some of her recipes were good in her first season but she seemed to run out of them after a while.

I'll never forget when Aarti was on that "Good Housekeeping" show on the Cooking Channel and she had to sit there listening to Melissa and Samantha Cassedy talking all about how they eat to be healthy and thin, her face gave her away as being irked because I think she thought her weight issue made her look like she lacked willpower and wasn't healthy enough.  I felt for her to be honest.  I did sorta get the vibe that Melissa must talk to her like she needs advice and counseling on how to eat right and lose weight.  I'd hate that.  But then again that's just my conjecture based on nothing concrete.  I have read that Melissa and Aarti are friends in real life.

• Love 1

I just saw Justin as a judge on Beat Bobby Flay, so he is still connected with FN. 

I disliked Melissa during her season, She just seemed to make up her family stories as needed and her stories contradicted each other.

For example, she said that her mother was either a major or colonel in the armed forces and the next show she stated that she grew up poor but then she stated that she had a Mexican nanny. That being said, her cooking show was fine, she did give some good cooking tips, once we got past the freezing bacon and cooked beans.

I have a question regarding Justin Warner. If my memory is not too screwed up there was a contestant on Chopped with the same name. This contestant's hair was not bouffed up and his lips were not glossed but he did have a pale complexion and similar hair-coloring. Does anyone know if these two are actually the same person or maybe my memory of the latter's name mistaken?

Jeff Mauro was nominated for an Emmy last year for his show, The Sandwich King. I think that puts him in "star" territory.

I brought this over here from the "media" thread - I think Jeff is exactly what FN wanted and he is popular with fans too, so I think he has a lot of potential and a bright future ahead of him at the network, especially since doing so well on "The Kitchen".  He's just not an overnight sensation.  Guy really wasn't either.  It took him a few years to become a mega star on the network.  I hope Jeff's momentum continues and increases.  Hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel with the constant Guy bombardment and Jeff can eventually replace him as their "go to" guy.

I just saw Justin as a judge on Beat Bobby Flay, so he is still connected with FN. 

I disliked Melissa during her season, She just seemed to make up her family stories as needed and her stories contradicted each other.

For example, she said that her mother was either a major or colonel in the armed forces and the next show she stated that she grew up poor but then she stated that she had a Mexican nanny. That being said, her cooking show was fine, she did give some good cooking tips, once we got past the freezing bacon and cooked beans.

Yeah, I always wondered about some of her stories sounding made up.  I honestly never bought that she came from a background of poverty although I thought I heard her say at one point that her mom was a single mom - Perhaps she became a child of divorce at some point.  And military salaries back in that day especially and with a few mouths to feed wouldn't exactly add up to living in the lap of luxury.  Not that I know too much about this but I do know the military subsidizes child care.  I'm not sure how much they did back then but they do now at least on military bases and perhaps outside too.   And especially back in the day when she was a kid it might have been pretty cheap to have a Mexican nanny.

I just think Melissa hasn't broadcasted the details of her family life enough to make any of this seem plausible, perhaps because of the divorce.  I never got the sense that she's an outright liar like Rachael Ray, who continually attributes her love of food and knowledge of cooking to her grandfather, who BTW died when she was barely 5 years old!  I mean, she acted like she watched and learned how to cook from him!

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

I wasn't watching FN much when he won and never saw his season or any episodes of his show, but Tivo suggestions thought I'd like watching Aaron McCargo's "Big Daddy's House" and recorded a couple of episodes for me.  I didn't, much, but now I see why they picked up Mauro to replace him in the Cooking Guy Food slot.  ("Big Daddy" even called himself "the sandwich king" at one point.)  My impression was that he came off more like the urban Ree. 

• Love 1

Maybe if Justin wasn't such a snotty brat who thought he could dictate and request his perfect show that FN deemed too costly, that he was above what FN wanted to give him he would have a regular show and a regular paying job on the network and he could pay for whatever his his crappy hipster restaurant needs.

• Love 4

Ah thanks for the heads up! That was good stuff. I cracked up when they said his chicken feet tasted like rhubarb pie and Rodney said he cant help it because pie is in his blood ha. I need to find his Throwdown episode so I can watch Bobby Flay beat him.

I was watching an episode of "A Moveable Feast" on PBS this afternoon, and 1st season winners Dan and Steve of The Hearty Boys were featured at a second home they have on a lake in Michigan, along with Gale Gand. It was good to see them again.

• Love 3

I'm not positive but I think that's a Halloween special, not a new ongoing show.  I like Jeff.  He's sort of the class clown all grown up but I think he's a good guy who hasn't let his success make him arrogant.  He seems to relate well to everyone from kids to Geoffrey Zakarian.  I enjoy watching him because he's a natural even when he's being hokey and OTT.

I always hate to be the bearer of bad news....

Penny Davidi, the woman who just won't go away, is going to be featured on Curtis Stone's new FN show, Kitchen Inferno.

First, don't say her name, it might call her to you. Second, I wasn't planning on watching that show, & now there's not a chance in Hell that I ever will.

• Love 1

From the commercial it sounds like some progressive competition (like that mess on NBC).  A home cook takes on a regular chef, then a celebrity chef, then a "super" chef".   I'm assuming Penny is the low rent chef.

• Love 1

FWIW, Season 9's Rodney, aka "Piehole" at TWOP, is competing on Chopped right now.  The contestants just made nauseating dishes featuring chicken feet.  Piehole was the first one chopped.

A.) Good (that he was chopped first).

B.) I hate that they even had him on in the first place.

First, don't say her name, it might call her to you. Second, I wasn't planning on watching that show, & now there's not a chance in Hell that I ever will.

Heh.  So she's some kind of modern-day Beetlejuice?

• Love 1

So I decided to check the Chef Lenny Fan club FB page just to see if there are any updates and it looks like his show starts filming "this winter";  that "they" are working with his ranch schedule.  And in the meantime Lenny still remains completely invisible from social media, has zero contact with fans except for the occasional Q&A that will occur through radio local radio stations and his brother & his friend Chris will occasionally post a picture of him.  I'm still so dumbfounded by everything since his win.  It seems the show is still a go but not only is he pretty silent in general but the network isnt doing a thing to even remind people he won.  You would think Lenny would have a half a brain and try to keep communication with the people that voted for him..? Let's say the show does start filming at some point this winter..by the time it makes it on to the air I doubt anyone will care or remember him.

• Love 1

I just saw Pie Style guy on "Eat St." on Cooking Channel in a food truck in DC. Didn't he have a brick and mortar store in Baltimore when Bobby Flay challenged him on "Throwdown"? So that's 3 Scripps shows he's been on - NFS, Throwdown, and Eat St. Go figure.

Last week, I think it was, Lenny was on a private jet going to Palm Springs (he said). Nothing after that when people asked him questions about why he was going there. This was on his personal FB page. And nothing when people asked when his show is going to air.

• Love 1

I have to say...I've caught a few episodes of Damaris's show and while I was a little dubious about her in her season she's pretty good, imho.  Jeff Mauro is also better than I remember him being as a contestant (again, jmho).  

It makes me wonder...maybe they just have Lenny shelved while they try to refine him.  Who knows, he could come back and surprise...maybe.

I think Justin was close to a year. Definitely longer than anyone else. FN is nuts if they don't ditch Lenny. His mother being sick was the perfect opportunity to say he couldn't do the show for personal reasons. The silence all around this is deafening.

• Love 3

The difference with Justin was I remember he was posting on social media and keeping fans informed even if he was making excuses. I know the first sign that there was a problem with Justin was Alton posting on Twitter than he would no longer be producing Justin's show when someone asked him something about that, then IIRC Justin said the show might be different than what he had planned due to budget issues. Justin also appeared at the NY Food and Wine Fest which Lenny missing was something very glaring. But to me the biggest red flag is that he completely missing from the network in ANY capacity..like right now they're showing these promos for No Kid Hungry that feature several FN personalities (including Damaris and Jeff) and up until Thanksgiving they were showing these Thanksgiving promos also feature different FN people. They arent even sticking Lenny in one of those! It wouldnt require much effort and would at least give viewers a reminder he exists.

• Love 4

Blergh.....Posted December 3 facebook on "The Official Chef Lenny Fan Page:"

http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/chuckwagon-raconteur

From the article:

Lenny McNab
Kessler Canyon, De Beque, CO

What better way to ring in the new year than with an incredible meal at the James Beard House? Welcome 2015 while dining on an extravagant, festive menu created by winner of The Next Food Network Star and Colorado chef Lenny McNab.

There's more info at the link above. Yuck...just yuck, but that's just my two cents.....

The menu looked interesting until I got to this :

"American Mountain Lion, Veal, Pork, and Mace Meatballs with Wild Mushroom Ragoût, Pappardelle, and Shaved Truffles"

Is there some meaning of "mountain lion" I don't know about?  Since when do we eat cat?  Eating felines is not uncommon in some countries but in the U.S. that idea is just yecccch.

• Love 3

I'm a retired game warden and few clients ever talked about eating them. It happens of course but it isn't in big demand. As far as where the Kessler Canyon restaurant would get the meat in the first place, they would have to purchase farm-raised meat (illegal to sell wild meat) and a quick search on the Interwebs doesn't show anyone selling mountain lion. Unfortunately it does show a company selling American-raised African lion meat (ick) as well as other cringe-worthy critters. There were several articles about restaurants that had advertised lion meat dinners that were shut down by public outcry. Maybe the same can happen with this situation.

If it really is mountain lion meat, another poor association made by Lenny. 

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 6