Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

The horror of those two together!  Lisa was awful on DWTS which is the only place I have seen her.  I do not watch those fake Housewives shows.  And Penny was a monster on NFNS.

Guess Penny is happy if she has wormed her way on TV once again.

• Love 1

I doubt we'll see much of Penny on the Beverly Hills Housewives. PUMP is a new restaurant venture for Lisa, and most of the scenes with the other housewives are shot in SUR, which has its own show with a bunch of 20-something famewhores.

Maybe she's actually a good chef. A bitchy personality, but she might just be of the caliber that she can hold down a real job in a real restaurant.

Justin Warner apparently has divorced his wife and now has a girlfriend named Brooke. I remember his wife being a very pretty blonde. Fame go to his head?

Maybe the wife got tired of his lipstick getting on her collar, lol.

• Love 9

Hated Penny on Food Network Star, on Chopped and I note with some glee that her little "sauce explosion" is a permanent part of the opening credits of Cutthroat Kitchen. It was especially sweet when she had just finished gloating about having sauce when one of the other contestants had none. It could not have been planned better...the sauce going up since she was so busy gloating that she forgot to put the lid back on the blender before turning it on, and as she tried to catch it, she ended up knocking the blender jar right into the trash.

I like Damaris, and I liked Amy in her season (she got screwed in the one Vegas challenge where she had to be the "wine angel" and the two men got easy walkthru assignments). Jeff and Melissa are about the other two I watched with any regularity. Big Daddy didn't stand up to many episodes, and I found Justin cocky and had no desire to watch his show.

I liked Amy in her season (she got screwed in the one Vegas challenge where she had to be the "wine angel"

I thought that terrible Lisa Garza had to be the wine angel?

Back when Amy Finley was on there were not nearly the amount of gimmicky challenges.

Yeah, it was Lisa who had to be the "wine angel." That was the season Aaron won. Amy kind of imploded a bit and semi-quit, only to be brought back to the finals when they disqualified JAG for lying about his experience and military background. She was up against that woman with the big gums (Rory, I think?) and won in the fan vote.

I liked Martie and was really pulling for her to win. I just knew Justin would win though. The mentors at that time (Giada, Alton, and Bobby) loved him. Susie and Bob did too.

My least favorite winner is a tie between Justin and Melissa. I also had Melissa pegged that year too. She was the golden girl. I just thought she was so fake. Justin was obnoxious, and arrogant.

• Love 1

Jeffrey Saad, the guy who lost to Melissa, is another one of my favorites who lost but continued to shine. I was so bummed that his Spice Smuggler concept never made it to a show. What a wonderful idea!!! I'd love to learn about spices and seasonings from different places.

• Love 2

Jeffrey Saad is by far my least favorite person who was generally well liked. I have no idea why, but I disliked the cut of his jib. I didn't like the way he described things. I didn't care for style of food he made. If I were at an event with my kids and he was there, I would have made sure to keep them far away from that guy. 

That was a rough season for me, because I was left with Melissa as the alternative.  Hell, I would have rooted for Pie Style over Jeffrey.

Heh.

Does it count as hyperbole if I meant it?  I used Pie Style as the extreme example to make my point, but I really think I would have preferred him to Jeffrey Saad. I had him pegged as a creepy weirdo who would steal your girlfriend, make your dog growl whenever he came in the room and make your children say, "mommy, I don't like that man", and there was no getting that thought out of my head.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Pie Style's restaurant and food truck are actually surprisingly good. I never would have tried them if they'd had his name all over them, but they don't. I don't think there's even a picture of him on the website.

Justin turned out to be a jerk, but I'm not sure Marti deserved her own show then. I was rooting for her this season though, for sure.  I never liked Melissa. 

I did not like Jeffrey either - I feel the same way you do, JTMacc99.  Creepster.  Did I like Debbie that season? I can't remember.

Jeffrey Saad is by far my least favorite person who was generally well liked. I have no idea why, but I disliked the cut of his jib. I didn't like the way he described things. I didn't care for style of food he made. If I were at an event with my kids and he was there, I would have made sure to keep them far away from that guy. 

That was a rough season for me, because I was left with Melissa as the alternative.  Hell, I would have rooted for Pie Style over Jeffrey.

Jeffrey didn't bother me at all because he knew what he was talking about and he did well throughout the competition. Just did not like Melissa at all and was rooting for anyone but her to win but alas she did. I also liked Martie and was hoping she would win although I knew Justin would win. I'm good at picking winners lol but my choices don't win. Honestly can't remember the other year's contestants except of course Guy's group. One exception.... I was actually pulling for Guy and hoping he would win and he did.

Good old Pah Style..... you know, Lenny could be this season's pie guy. He's gimmicky like that guy was. The only difference is that Lenny seems to be a better cook. The judges and Bob and Susie were never impressed with Pie Style's pies or food. They just thought he was funny and entertaining.

I just love Melissa!  She wowed me during her season and continues to do so.  She is a smart, lovely, well educated lady who can really cook.  FN really did her a disservice with the Ten Dollar concept.  She has a beautiful family and she is a Christian.  

I did not like Justin Warner at all.  He was pompous and arrogant and I thought his food didn't look good either.  He was always making odd stuff to prove how edgy he was.

I really liked Aaron McCargo Jr.  He was personable and his food looked good.  Also I like Damaris.  I guess in general, I have liked all of the winners except Justin and Aarti.  Aarti came across totally fake to me.  Guy totally dominated his season.

I was seriously rooting for Reggie during Guy's season. I thought that Reggie would have been a good cooking teacher but I think that he called FN out for not having any people of color on the show.

• Love 1

I'll never watch that.  I didn't like Nikki to begin with but she starts her first paragraph with "Watch me" and her second with "Me and the handsome Aussie...."  So her big ego shines forth and she can't speak English properly.  Bah.

Glad to know that I am not the only person that doesn't like/watch Guy F. He just rubs me completely the wrong way. FoodNetWork cramming him down my throat doesn't help any. They need to change the name of the Network to DDD since that is all they show during the prime evening hours especially on Fridays and Saturdays. I boycott ANY show that has him as part of it.

• Love 2

I have always noticed that Melissa never seemed too popular on the boards.  Interesting because I think she is the closest thing to what most people seem to want - A decent non-car salesman type person who can cook and has a real instructive cooking show.  She is arguably the most successful FN Star so far after Guy given the 6 or 7 seasons her cooking show was on the air, then another show on the Cooking Channel and most recently as a judge on Guy's Grocery Games.  I feel sorry for her that people tend to see her as stuck up.  I never did, I just think she is an introvert and not the type of introvert to know how to open herself up enough to connect with people the way extroverts can do in their sleep.  If she were more extraverted like Rachael Ray I think she'd have made it really big, and Rachael is even more bitchy and stuck up to some people, just more adept at putting on that fake facade that pulls people in - Go figure how Rachael got so popular what with a Livejournal chat board for people who hate her. 

I agree with whoever said above that Melissa was too limited by the $10 concept.  I liked her much better in that Good Housekeeping show on the Cooking Channel, but even that was a little formulaic.  I watched (and still watch repeats) her $10 Dinners show because I have gotten a lot of really good recipes from it that are keepers.  A little stuck up or distant I can handle for some good food.  At least she doesn't offend me with bitchiness or loud, slimy car salesman-like fake personality like some of the others to come out of FN, and now add vulgar misogynistic Lenny to the pile, too.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 2

My issue with Melissa--other than her stupid concept which was not her fault--is that her delivery is so condescending. I'm sure mine would be no better but I am not trying to host a FN show, thank the gods.

• Love 1

OooooooK, that's what it is about Melissa that has always turned me off, and I never could figure out why. Her delivery is somewhat condescending. And it's just how she talks, she does it on other shows when she's a guest or a judge. Tone is everything.

Heh.

Does it count as hyperbole if I meant it?  I used Pie Style as the extreme example to make my point, but I really think I would have preferred him to Jeffrey Saad. I had him pegged as a creepy weirdo who would steal your girlfriend, make your dog growl whenever he came in the room and make your children say, "mommy, I don't like that man", and there was no getting that thought out of my head.

Wow. I always liked him. He reminded me of a guy I knew in college. Sometimes our immediate reactions to people are based on a similarity to people we know, or used to know. And it's not always on a conscious level. Melissa, for another example reminded me of my kids kindergarten teacher. Not only in looks but mannerisms. Never liked her, but it took a while to figure out why.

I have always noticed that Melissa never seemed too popular on the boards.  Interesting because I think she is the closest thing to what most people seem to want - A decent non-car salesman type person who can cook and has a real instructive cooking show.  She is arguably the most successful FN Star so far after Guy given the 6 or 7 seasons her cooking show was on the air, then another show on the Cooking Channel and most recently as a judge on Guy's Grocery Games. 

I think it extends off the boards too to be honest.  I attended the NY Wine and Food Festival weekend one year and she didn't seem too popular there either.  Hers was one of the lines I went to when I didn't have the patience to wait on some of the enormous lines. She was accommodating but she doesn't have the most outgoing demeanor with fans, its hard to explain.  I dont know how the network measures success (other than ratings) but I always viewed Jeff Mauro as the next biggest FNS success story since Guy. And I think people have found him to be more relatable than Melissa for the most part .  Sandwich King should be going into its 6th season soon, Food Network gave him and his family a 1 hour special devoted to their Disney vacation (like Guy has had), Jeff is one of the hosts of one of FN's newest hits The Kitchen and SK earned an Emmy nomination (the only FNS winners show other than Guy's to accomplish this) and from what I gather he'll be judging a couple of upcoming Chopped episodes. 

Glad to know that I am not the only person that doesn't like/watch Guy F. He just rubs me completely the wrong way. FoodNetWork cramming him down my throat doesn't help any. They need to change the name of the Network to DDD since that is all they show during the prime evening hours especially on Fridays and Saturdays. I boycott ANY show that has him as part of it.

Many moons ago I did like him.  That was before FN decided to cram him down peoples throats and he's increasingly became more obnoxious.  Don't even get me started on Guy FERRY calling himself Guy Fiedddiii heh.

• Love 2

I think what Melissa lacks is the ability to project warmth and connect with people in group situations, which I don't think is something that can be taught.  I never felt the condescending vibe at all on her 10 dollar show.  I always felt she wanted to include me in on it, if that makes any sense.  I never felt she was talking down to me or anything.  I have since felt the condescending vibe a bit on Guy's Grocery Games, perhaps because she's being paid to be picky, I don't know.  I always felt Alex G. seemed picky and condescending as a judge on Chopped, perhaps even more than Melissa as a judge.  I even think Julia Child herself could come off as elitist and condescending at times, but the one thing she had was warmth and the ability to connect with the audience.  These are things that seem to be easier for extroverts to do, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are any nicer or less condescending deep down.  I think Anne Burrell comes off as far more snotty and condescending than Melissa, but she has that extroverted arrogance that people seem to like.  Go figure.  I don't know, I just think it's unfair to Melissa.  I think she would tend to fade into the background at big events, not necessarily because she is aloof and condescending, but because that's what happens to introverts when there are tons of extroverts around to steal their thunder.  We're no match for them.  I've been used to it my entire life, and I don't exactly have a small personality and no warmth either.

As to Jeff Mauro, I think he is fast closing in on Melissa and is ready to surpass her in success especially since "The Kitchen".  The only reason he hasn't surpassed her yet is because hasn't been around as long but that gap is shrinking fast.  I didn't like him at first but have grown to like him more since that show.  It took me a while to get past the loud, sometimes overly extroverted, borderline dorky demeanor.  He's a funny and decent guy despite that and I think the Kitchen is going to teach him some more finesse.  Come to think of it, if Melissa were put on the Kitchen she would probably fade away into the background.  Then people would probably call her stuck up because of it....*Sigh*.  Meanwhile I would tend to see the extroverts who monopolize conversation and force all the attention on themselves as the ones who are full of themselves, stuck up and condescending, go figure.

That said, tonight I was at a dinner at Tyler Anderson's restaurant in honor of Julia Child.  We had the good fortune of sitting smack in the middle of the table near a chatty couple who kept Mr. Intuition and I happily engaged in conversation for the entire evening.  I noticed the couple to our right was feeling very left out, bored, and looking at their watches.  I suppose to them we looked like the loud, chatty extroverts who take over table conversation.  We did try to include them in it but they just didn't click with the general topics of conversation save for one or two.  Then again, we have been that couple at the end of a table with no one to talk to more times than I can count, so I suppose it just happens sometimes.  Someone as extroverted as Jeff Mauro would find a way to become the center of conversation in situations like that, though.  I admit I am not extroverted enough to do that.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

After sleeping on this issue and talking with Mr. Intuition about it (he loves Melissa and he is not one to like people who are stuck up or condescending), we came to some conclusions, and that's that women tend to be far more critical of each other than men are of anyone, male or female.  Everyone criticizes Guy F. because he is such a buffoon (and now Lenny too for obvious reasons) but women often pick each other apart for much less in the scheme of things.  As long as I have been online I have seen almost nothing but negative comments about all the female FN stars from Giada to Sandy to Pioneer Woman to Rachael Ray and on and on, mostly coming from women.  I would be lying if I said I didn't join in on this from time to time.  It took my husband to make me see it more clearly.  I don't see women (myself included) lining up to pick Bobby Flay, Geoffrey Zakarian, Michael Symon or Jeff Mauro apart with quite such frequency or negativity.   And in reality they have just as many if not more annoying tendencies, IMHO.  Mr. Intuition theorizes that it's the old "crabs in a barrel" mentality amongst women who tend to see certain other women as threats in the social pecking order, which is a leftover from times long ago when women formed cliques and ostracized other women they saw as threats to their achievement of the best man, or the best life, etc.   Yeah, I'll cop to being affected by some of that.

Edited by Intuition

Well, I like Damaris, a lot. I enjoy Trisha Yearwood's show. I've also watched Rachael for years and she doen't bother me one bit. I like Anne Burrell, Amanda Freitag, Alex. Melissa is the only female TV cooking personality that I don't care for.

On the men's side, I've had my fill of Guy, though in the beginning I enjoyed watching DDD. Now I'm sick to death of it. Bobby is very condescending in real life, I've been told, and can be rather brusque with people. I don't mind him on TV, except for the times when he's showing off. I love Geoffrey Zakarian, Scott Connant, Jeff Mauro. I used to love watching Alton's scientific approach to food, still watch it in reruns.

• Love 2

I didn't see Melissa's season of NFNS.  My first exposure to her was when she was writing the blogs after episodes of FNS later - Jeff Mauro's season I think it was.  I had no idea who she was at first but I was impressed because she came across as insightful and intelligent.  She writes very, very well.  So I was prepared to like her the first time I saw her in action.  And didn't.  Maybe she is an introvert in real life.  I have no idea.  I see her as self-important, attention-seeking and loud.

Speaking of Damaris, I like her too I just haven't loved her food all that much.  Cooksdelight, you don't find Anne Burrell self important, snotty and condescending?  I do and I don't even dislike her for it.  Can someone (not necessarily you) explain for me why they say they don't like Melissa because she exhibits these qualities and yet they would like Anne Burrell, who also exhibits these same qualities?  Unless they don't find Anne Burrell to be self important, snotty and condescending.....

"loud" and "attention seeking" aren't exactly words I would use to describe Melissa, but YMMV, what can I say?  Are you sure we're talking about the same person?

Oh yeah.  I guess you haven't watched her on Guy's Grocery Games.  I'd add condescending and shrill.  I guess I just don't like her.  :)

I forgot to add................. I didn't know she cried a lot on her season because I didn't see it but that alone would have done her in with me. 

Edited by mlp

don't find Anne Burrell self important, snotty and condescending?

I've only watched her cooking show, which I think is reruns, so no, I don't find her any of those things. I have not watched her as host of various competition shows, however.

@mlp, GGG is where I find Melissa the most annoying. If she's not a judge, Aarti is and she is equally annoying to me. I base that on personal experience when Aarti came to her husband's hometown, which happens to be next door to mine. She was doing a meet-n-greet with the locals, and she came off as the biggest snob. We're just small town country folks and I think she felt she was better than the rest of us. Granted, the one grocery store in that town isn't very big and doesn't carry all the fancy stuff, but not everyone can live in the big city. I overheard her remark that she couldn't find some various ingredients and "how on earth do people live like this?"

• Love 2

Whatever chance Melissa had with me died when she used her mother's suicide as a tool to win over the judges on FNS. Even if she was being honest and sharing something important, it felt to me like she was exploiting it to get ahead and "make an emotional connection." I think its important to talk about mental health issues, I don't think we should hide things, but she pulled it out at a moment where it was going to push her over the top with the judges. I have a hard time seeing her an a genuine person after that. I don't mind that she won, because I didn't really like any of the options that season, but I don't think I can ever really connect with her.

After sleeping on this issue and talking with Mr. Intuition about it (he loves Melissa and he is not one to like people who are stuck up or condescending), we came to some conclusions, and that's that women tend to be far more critical of each other than men are of anyone, male or female.  Everyone criticizes Guy F. because he is such a buffoon (and now Lenny too for obvious reasons) but women often pick each other apart for much less in the scheme of things.  As long as I have been online I have seen almost nothing but negative comments about all the female FN stars from Giada to Sandy to Pioneer Woman to Rachael Ray and on and on, mostly coming from women.  I would be lying if I said I didn't join in on this from time to time.  It took my husband to make me see it more clearly.  I don't see women (myself included) lining up to pick Bobby Flay, Geoffrey Zakarian, Michael Symon or Jeff Mauro apart with quite such frequency or negativity.   And in reality they have just as many if not more annoying tendencies, IMHO.  Mr. Intuition theorizes that it's the old "crabs in a barrel" mentality amongst women who tend to see certain other women as threats in the social pecking order, which is a leftover from times long ago when women formed cliques and ostracized other women they saw as threats to their achievement of the best man, or the best life, etc.   Yeah, I'll cop to being affected by some of that.

I really hope that's not my issue. With Food Network personalities, I dislike Guy for being too loud and playing up his worst traits for the camera, I'll teasingly mock Giada for her pronunciation of "ricotta," and I think Rachel Ray is too phony to enjoy. There are many personalities that I don't love and I'll mock any of them for little things, but I'll watch their shows now and again. The only one I really hate is Robert Irvine because he's a lying liar who lies and has no credibility. I can't stand his face. I wish Food Network had dropped him hard when his lies were exposed. 

Lenny, if he ever makes it onto air, will go on the truly hate list because misogyny and homophobia are disgusting and I have no interest in supporting him in any way.

• Love 7

I loved Melissa during her season and have continued to enjoy her.  FN stuck her with that horrible concept of $10 Dinners, so a large part of the time, people were watching to nitpick whether the math worked or not.    The nastiness that was directed to her over whether or not you could buy the ingredients in your area for what she said was crazy IMO.  

She comes across as warm and friendly to me.  She is poised and well educated.  

There are several FN personalities who i can't stand, namely that Alex woman, Anne Burrell and Ina.  They come across as snobby and condescending.

Of the FN winners, Melissa tops the list for me of the ones I like, with Damaris second.  I do like Guy but he has gotten over exposed.  The winners I do not like are Justin, Aarti and Sandwich King.  Justin was too full of himself, Aarti was fake and Mauto is a buffoon.

• Love 2

I enjoy the programs where Guy cooks in his backyard kitchen.  He knows cooking and gives tips.  DDD could leave tomorrow.

Yes, to this! His one-on-one with the camera when it's just him cooking his own food, it's informative. I get nothing from DDD. Especially after trying a couple of the places he profiled, I wasn't impressed.

• Love 2

Yes, to this! His one-on-one with the camera when it's just him cooking his own food, it's informative. I get nothing from DDD. Especially after trying a couple of the places he profiled, I wasn't impressed.

Does Guy actually choose the places that are profiled on the show, or does he just go where the producers tell him to go?

I like DDD but feel that the network has ruined it by showing it too much.

Good question @smiley13. I had written in years ago about a couple of places that were wildly popular and they were never profiled. It may be that the owners write in, offer to comp a lot of stuff, and entice the FN production people to the point they can't say no.

This place I use to frequent in New Jersey, White Manna's, was featured in DDD and a former neighbor of mine wrote to the show recommending it (and apparently so did several people over the course of a year) and he was e-mailed back by a DDD producer inviting him to be there when Guy would be filming.  I think SOME places are places Guy is familiar with and he chooses to show them.  I remember him featuring some places from his hometown and his wife's where he seemed to know the owners..but for the most part I bet a lot of them he just goes to whatever gets a lot of requests from viewers.

There are several FN personalities who i can't stand, namely that Alex woman, Anne Burrell and Ina.  They come across as snobby and condescending.

Hah yes.  The debate about Melissa here reminds me that there are some FN people that are SO beloved by people and I can't stand them.  Once on TWOP I mentioned what a stuck up snob I found Ina to be and I was nearly tarred and feathered. Ina once made something and said use GOOD ketchup, I e-mailed her asking if the dish would be ruined if I used my crappy Heinz ketchup lol.

• Love 2