Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Misalliance

• Start Topic

Fare thee well, Jason Atwood.  I hope you at least sent your info to someone who can make use of it, before your end came (I guess that is what he was typing on the computer.)  Hopefully, Malik Yoba finds other work soon.

So, a lot of moving around reveals in this episode, but really, it felt like nothing major happened.  Kimble ended up resigning as Speaker, only to be Secretary of Education after convincing a congressman to approve an arts bill that Kirkman wanted to pass with the son of the former President.  Meanwhile, Hannah escapes capture, only to find out that she's on some kind of barge.  How suspenseful?

At this point, I'm ready for anyone to be part of the conspiracy, due to how shifty everyone is.  You got Mike making weird faces, especially after Kirkman told him to stay behind.  Seth seemed way too happy about being Air Force One, to the point that I'm suspicious.  Hell, I wonder if there will be something significant over Moss taking Seth's phone to take the picture, and maybe he's in on it.  Watch it be something completely random.  Wait, I know!  The whole crack about how Emily will be in charge when Kirkman away is a sign!  She is going to stage a coup!  What a twist!

No, Alex.  I think your children should stay off screen in Camp David, thank you very much!

Only two episode left?  Still have time to swap show-runners, again!

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Sorry, I can't feel too sorry for Atwood.  Crawling out of your hiding place in hostile territory?  Bad idea.  Really bad idea.  Plus, the fact that he started tailing Browning down an alley.  Don't give yourself away or anything.

Then pausing out in the open to mind meld with a deer. Which one was caught in the headlights? Earlier, there was no need to bumper tag the other car down an alley if the homing device and tracker had a 10 mile range. And the other car wasn't at all suspicious after going to the trouble of using a decoy?

Edited by Bobbin
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Fare thee well, Jason Atwood.  I hope you at least sent your info to someone who can make use of it, before your end came (I guess that is what he was typing on the computer.)  Hopefully, Malik Yoba finds other work soon. . . .

I forget; is Hannah Wells' techie sidekick still among the living, and, if so, would he and Atwood be on messaging terms?

I guess if they were going to continue to waste Malik Yoba, they might as well kill off his character.

Add me to the list of viewers annoyed that Hookstraten was given a stereotypically female job.
ETA: Does Hookstraten have any professional education experience? Yeah, I know. Don't go there here. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I'm still stuck on why Hannah was staying at the No-Tell-Motel.  Wasn't she working in the White House?  Don't they have a guest room?  Don't they have a budget for a decent hotel?  Can't they assign her a secret service agent?

This whole kidnapping setup seems so very forced in order to push the plot.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I forget; is Hannah Wells' techie sidekick still among the living

Yes he is, but his apartment got blowed up...

The FBI will start a recruiting blitz at Victoria's Secret.....

• Love 2

Interesting points on Jason Atwood's fate.  Looked like a lot of blood to me but perhaps the force of the close range shots pierced the bullet proof vest and caused some bleeding but not enough damage to kill him.  A girl can dream...I like the character and there are so few that I do I would appreciate them keeping him on the show in some capacity.  I don't know enough about protective vests but in other shows I've watched the velocity and impact has knocked the person shot to the ground but saved his life.  Can't recall bleeding though. 

Meanwhile let's say he sent his last minute email/file to Hannah.   With "everyone" looking for her someone would likely check her email accounts.

And....Hannah had noticed her motel cheapo door had been tampered with...the folks looking for clues by going to her room....you know, FBI agents....not so much.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

Meanwhile let's say he sent his last minute email/file to Hannah.   With "everyone" looking for her someone would likely check her email accounts.

Have you seen this show?  They only look for clues when PLOT!!!!! dictates.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

At this point, I'm ready for anyone to be part of the conspiracy, due to how shifty everyone is.

Maybe it's the contractor that got the job to rebuild the Capitol.  They want the gigs for the Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam, and the Golden Gate Bridge, too.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, blackwing said:

Also, the Filipino congressman that apparently leads both the Ethics Committee as well as the powerful Ways and Means?  Looks like he's 30.  There's no way someone so young would be given chairmanship of Ways and Means, even in a political crisis.

Not only that, but how long has it been since the Capitol blew up, do we know?  Because all these appointed replacements are so completely confident, "control the purse strings pretty tightly", and are happy to tell off the Speaker or whoever else needs telling off, even though they've maybe been in this job 6 weeks.

12 hours ago, AEMom said:

I'm still stuck on why Hannah was staying at the No-Tell-Motel.  Wasn't she working in the White House?  Don't they have a guest room?  Don't they have a budget for a decent hotel?  Can't they assign her a secret service agent?

What happened to her home?  She lived in Washington as an FBI agent, so presumably she had an apartment/house.  

• Love 4

Okay, everybody say it with me.  Music is not just art, it's math!!!  Music is MATH!  MUSIC IS MATH!!!  How have all these brainiacs made it as far as they have and don't know that music instruction IMPROVES math scores.  GAH!!!

And how did Hannah not feel the box crate moving with the ocean?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, jzygayle said:

Okay, everybody say it with me.  Music is not just art, it's math!!!  Music is MATH!  MUSIC IS MATH!!!  How have all these brainiacs made it as far as they have and don't know that music instruction IMPROVES math scores.  GAH!!!

And how did Hannah not feel the box crate moving with the ocean?

Regarding music = math, I'm guessing this means the writers are math deficient, therefore so are the characters, which explains a lot of the stupidity on screen.

As for Hannah not detecting she was at sea, in addition to the theory advanced upthread that she might have either not noticed the movement due to lingering effects of the sedative, or that she might have attributed the sensation to effects of the sedative, might she have also thought she was on a moving train or truck? Also, she could have thought she was on a docked vessel or anchored just off shore. Or perhaps the director told Maggie Q to act astonished to mirror how the audience should feel about this turn of events — although for me (and others) this meant thoughts of: So does this mean she's on her way to China like Jack Bauer?

• Love 6

I watched this episode but don't have much to say about it.  I am sticking with it until the finale to see what I think but it doesn't look good.  They are not "working" the most interesting aspect of this show, which is IMO the conspiracy.  This episode was at least a little more interesting than the previous couple, but that's not saying much.  I wasn't expecting that Wells was going to turn out to be stuck on a barge or that poor Atwood was going to get (apparently) killed.  It looked like he got to send some info on his computer before he bit the dust, but will Foerstel (spelling?) ever look at it?

• Love 1
On 5/4/2017 at 9:16 AM, clb1016 said:

Yup, but given that she probably only weighs about 85 lbs dripping wet, she sure is badass.

Using the bra wire seems like a pretty basic move.  I read a book where the heroine actually removed her own IUD to use the copper wire to pick the lock of the closet she was being held in.....*ROFL*   Seriously!

To me, Catalan looks like a very grumpy, young version of David Boreanaz.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

This is it exactly! I didn't realize until you pointed it out.

8 hours ago, leighdear said:

Using the bra wire seems like a pretty basic move.  I read a book where the heroine actually removed her own IUD to use the copper wire to pick the lock of the closet she was being held in.....*ROFL*   Seriously!

Only serves to reinforce the point I made earlier- captors now have a practical reason to strip their captives completely naked. Don't want to risk them removing a wire from their bra or their contraceptives.

I mean, yeah, I understand that network TV won't allow captives to be completely naked- but producers should be aware that, if this was real life, "naked captive" would likely be the default. So real life wouldn't give them the opportunity to use their bras as a weapon, because they wouldn't have it on them.

I must third this- never noticed it until now.

Now, if only Catalan could actually utter a word...

13 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Only serves to reinforce the point I made earlier- captors now have a practical reason to strip their captives completely naked. Don't want to risk them removing a wire from their bra or their contraceptives.

The IUD would still be there unless they did a cavity search (but why wouldn't they?)

• Love 2

In what world would a 12 year old be named chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, the most powerful committee in Congress?  And why do all of the new Senators and congress people look like Abercrombie and Fitch models?  I would assume that most of the replacements would either be former congress people or come out of state legislatures.

That was a pretty lame Ethics Committee investigation. If every politician was guilty of corruption for accepting foreign "fact-finding" trips in exchange for certain votes, there would have been no need to blow up the Capitol. And she went to Turkey for God's sake, not the French Riviera. 

Since Betsy DeVos has gone MIA in the real world, I hope this doesn't mean Kimble will be off the show. She's my favorite non-comic-relief character. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

The IUD would still be there unless they did a cavity search (but why wouldn't they?)

Especially if it's a captive like Hannah, who was seen snooping around their stuff.

1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

Especially if it's a captive like Hannah, who was seen snooping around their stuff.

So they would definitely snoop around her "stuff"!  LOL

• Love 1
On 5/3/2017 at 9:12 PM, HerkyJerky said:

Hannah being on a ship in the middle of the ocean?  Alias did it first and better!

You beat me to it! Hahaha. As soon as I saw her coming out of the shipping container, with the wind blowing, I was like, hey she's probably in the middle of the ocean. And Sydney did it while like 8 months pregnant, way more badass. 

(edited)

Jack Bauer was kidnapped by Cheng Zhi & loaded onto a container ship headed for China at the end of season 5 of "24".  Seems kind of appropriate he's in another show that uses that plot point.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

Maybe 24 got some inspiration from Alias (just kidding, sort of). The episode that had Sydney on a ship was 6 months earlier (and filmed much earlier since they needed to film scenes with Vaughn before he "died" aka headed to Australia to film a movie there) than the episode with Jack on a ship.  

Either way, it's funny to see that the writers were probably inspired by some bad ass shows from more than a decade ago, yet they still suck at making similar plot points any more dramatic and suspenseful. Like they should have placed her in a shipping container on Zavodovski Island near Antarctica surrounded by a bunch of penguins and a volcano threatening to blow at any second. 

• Love 3
On 5/3/2017 at 8:21 PM, marinw said:

Wear sensible shoes next time, Hannah.

Bwah! Those WERE ridiculous shoes for an FBI agent, weren't they? Maggie Q may be a former model. but Hannah doesn't have to wear model shoes.

I am enjoying DS much more  since I’ve made peace with the fact that the show is dumb.

Extra dumb these days, like all of this genre show (I'm looking at you, Madame Secretary!), because we live in a world where the real conspiracies are even more ridiculous than the fictional ones on the show.

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Jack Bauer was kidnapped by Cheng Zhi & loaded onto a container ship headed for China at the end of season 5 of "24".  Seems kind of appropriate he's in another show that uses that plot point.  

Yeah. I got that too. Copying Kiefer's own back catalog. Sigh.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:17 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Fare thee well, Jason Atwood.

Meh. He's only half-dead, probably.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 8:21 PM, marinw said:

So Kimble is going to settle for Secretary of Education instead of VEEP? Is she a fan of Battlestar Galactica?

You know, SoE still needs Senate approval. Doesn't she have just as many enemies there as the House? The way this was presented as some clever fair-accompli was extra dumb.  Also, doesn't this still get her off the show? How often is the SoE going to be involved in a major plotline? Also whatshisname is out of a job again. They didn't even address that. Being Chief of Staff for a SoE would be too big a step down. Plus again... how would he even figure into any plotlines?

• Love 2

With the important difference that JB was someone we actually cared about.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2017 at 2:12 PM, Danielg342 said:

Man, if there's anyone that could play the Snidely Whiplash this show needs, it's James Spader. Red would be the perfect adversary. Put him in a room with Kirkman and watch the two go tete-a-tete would blow my mind.

YES!!!!!

I just watched last week's show. Seth makes me smile, so I will keep watching. Actually, I do not mind the show at all. I just suspend disbelief and keep going. My husband called Hannah being out at sea before they showed it. And here, I thought he wasn't even paying attention!

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 3

Kirkman is a really terrible president, isn't he? Whoever speaks to him last gets him to instantly make that issue his immediate super-priority.  I could have sworn he had a hundred-days agenda that he's supposed to be hitting hard.  (As if)

The show still has no idea what can make for a good plot that lasts longer than two episodes. Kimble fighting for her speakership should be half a season, not something she gives up after two days.

On the conspiracy front, why didn't they kill Hannah immediately? Why kidnap her? She doesn't know anything the conspiracy needs to learn; she apparently has no family so they can't use her like Atwood so why keep her alive? Doesn't kidnapping her just give the FBI more leads with which to track them?  And, if they actually wanted to lead the FBI on a wild goose chase to save her, they can just grab her, kill her in the cargo container and leave the FBI chasing a corpse.  None of it makes sense, right? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

On the conspiracy front, why didn't they kill Hannah immediately? Why kidnap her?

Considering these are the same baddies who didn't think to strip her naked and do a cavity search, I'm not surprised that the baddies use no logic.

• Love 2

If we are supposed to believe there is a really dangerous conspiracy that successfully decapitated the U.S. Government, it can't be run by morons who kill their own Vice President Mole but don't kill an FBI agent just because she's in the opening credits.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/3/2017 at 5:21 PM, marinw said:

So Kimble is going to settle for Secretary of Education instead of VEEP?

I had a horrifying thought. I am spoiler-free and this is pure speculation..... But will Kimble be the Designated Survivor when the entire US government is blown to bits in the season finale?  What other reason could there be for this weird development?  Why sideline the second male lead to a basic nothing role for the last half of the season? Add in the First Lady's sudden desire to have her family all together again in the White House, as if all is good in the world.  And the sudden appearance of angry :alt-right: zealots with seemingly no qualms about overthrowing the government.

"24" had new presidents every season....

There is currently no VP (#2).  The Speaker of the House would be momentarily vacant (#3) if Kimble refuses to resign her post until the Senate approves her and she is sworn in.

That just leaves the Senate Pro Tem (#4), before we start hitting the cabinet.  Have we ever heard that all the cabinet secretaries are officially in place? Was there a throwaway line at some point since Malibu Barbie took over as Chief of Staff that the US had "acting" secretaries in place? 

Presumably, the exPres SofState was approved by the new Senate.  So it might not even take a blood bath to get to Secretary of Education Kimble, who gets rushed approval by the Senate to get her out of the House.

And maybe it could be a *plot* to surface the :alt-right: leadership and expose all the conspiracies.  PresKirkman, his family, and the ExPres Sec Of State in a secret bunker, coordinating the counter-attack.

It might make a Season Two somewhat more interesting. 

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
Wonky wacky text loading and perpetual timeouts on message board....
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I had a horrifying thought. I am spoiler-free and this is pure speculation..... But will Kimble be the Designated Survivor when the entire US government is blown to bits in the season finale?

I doubt it. Kiefer is the best thing about this silly show. I do like your idea of Kirkman in the Bunker.

As for how the US would react if Congress was blown up, after watching The Handmaid's Tale I am starting to appreciate this show’s naivety.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Hey, we can have something go "BOOM!" in each episode next season, and have Bob and Doug McKenzie provide commentary!  "They blowed up real good!"

"Okay, I'll take questions now." BOOM!

"Honey, I'm worried about the kids." BOOM!

"Pull my finger." BOOM! BOOM!

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 4
On ‎5‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 1:16 AM, waving feather said:

Another cringe worthy scene: when the two baddies meet up and they basically recapped to each other what has happened so far on the show for the sake of the viewers and also for Atwood to record. What clunky writing.

And there was no reason why they had to meet.

On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Kromm said:

You know, SoE still needs Senate approval. Doesn't she have just as many enemies there as the House? The way this was presented as some clever fair-accompli was extra dumb.  Also, doesn't this still get her off the show? How often is the SoE going to be involved in a major plotline? 

That.

On ‎8‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 7:23 PM, rab01 said:

Kirkman is a really terrible president, isn't he? Whoever speaks to him last gets him to instantly make that issue his immediate super-priority.  I could have sworn he had a hundred-days agenda that he's supposed to be hitting hard.  (As if)

The show still has no idea what can make for a good plot that lasts longer than two episodes. Kimble fighting for her speakership should be half a season, not something she gives up after two days.

On the conspiracy front, why didn't they kill Hannah immediately? Why kidnap her? She doesn't know anything the conspiracy needs to learn; she apparently has no family so they can't use her like Atwood so why keep her alive? Doesn't kidnapping her just give the FBI more leads with which to track them?  And, if they actually wanted to lead the FBI on a wild goose chase to save her, they can just grab her, kill her in the cargo container and leave the FBI chasing a corpse.  None of it makes sense, right? 

I agree.

About NATO: did the the screenwriters know anything about rearmament? Instead of negotiatiing years and making a treaty, Kirkman makes an imprompty decsion to do unliterally, hoping that Russia will follow the example.

Before all, what kind of reality this show happen? Is Europe really like it was in 90ies?     

22 hours ago, marinw said:

Kiefer is the best thing about this silly show. 

To me, the best thing has been Kimble.

It's against her whole character and experience to give up the fight so easily. She knows that during the fight, anything can happen. 

Kiefer is naive and he hasn't grown up a bit during the show. He hasn't even one ability to succeed as the President.  

• Love 3
On ‎9‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 0:54 PM, marinw said:

As for how the US would react if Congress was blown up, after watching The Handmaid's Tale I am starting to appreciate this show’s naivety.

I haven't seen The Handmaid's Tale as a serie, but have read the novel and in it a consistent dystopy is created on the basis of some suppositions, f.ex. increased infertility. 

(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Maybe 24 got some inspiration from Alias (just kidding, sort of). The episode that had Sydney on a ship was 6 months earlier (and filmed much earlier since they needed to film scenes with Vaughn before he "died" aka headed to Australia to film a movie there) than the episode with Jack on a ship.  

Either way, it's funny to see that the writers were probably inspired by some bad ass shows from more than a decade ago, yet they still suck at making similar plot points any more dramatic and suspenseful. Like they should have placed her in a shipping container on Zavodovski Island near Antarctica surrounded by a bunch of penguins and a volcano threatening to blow at any second. 

...Yeah, they still don't know what to do, do they?  Unfathomable that no one in connection with this show apparently stopped to consider for any moment, "Hey, if the President isn't actually helping to unravel the conspiracy, which he can't really because it would be senseless and the White House staff aren't trained detectives; just exactly what is he supposed to DO which will be so cinematic and riveting, when lined up against the FBI agents fighting to unravel the conspiracy?"

Showrunners ... "Oh, *I* know!  We'll make the primary plotline of this episode, be "whether or not the President can move up arts funding"!  Riveting stuff, this!" 

On 5/8/2017 at 1:39 AM, Kromm said:

You know, SoE still needs Senate approval. Doesn't she have just as many enemies there as the House? The way this was presented as some clever fair-accompli was extra dumb.  Also, doesn't this still get her off the show? How often is the SoE going to be involved in a major plotline? Also whatshisname is out of a job again. They didn't even address that. Being Chief of Staff for a SoE would be too big a step down. Plus again... how would he even figure into any plotlines?

On 5/10/2017 at 4:29 AM, Roseanna said:

To me, the best thing has been Kimble.

It's against her whole character and experience to give up the fight so easily. She knows that during the fight, anything can happen. 

Kiefer is naive and he hasn't grown up a bit during the show. He hasn't even one ability to succeed as the President.  

This this this yes this.  I was devastated when I thought we'd lose Kimble.  She is my MVP for this whole damn show.  Does Virginia Madsen want another role or something?  One wouldn't blame her except it's Natascha McElhone who should be taking meetings, based upon this plot (at least VM got to play some conflicts along the way).  The second best part was Emily-Seth-Aaron bouncing off each other, and they blew that up to shift Aaron to the office of the... Secretary of Education???    (Aside:  Was I the only person who hoped that when Former President's Son appeared, he was going to start an affair with Alex, as opposed to giving her oh so useful advice about how to treat the Black Holed First Kids?  It's like the showrunners think they have to write Michelle Obama, and haven't quite figured out that when you write that sort of tale for the First Lady it , too, is less than cinematically and dramatically riveting. If she can't be a politician there's really no point to having her on this show other than to repeatedly say "I guess this is stuff you can't talk to me about", but I guess they're in love with the idea that we need the "Family Side", and the "President Deals with Issues Side" every week as well.  This is as may be, since I grant the President's main job function can't be as a secret agent/arm of the FBI breaking down the conspiracies (c.f. above complaint); but surely, there have to be better ways to go about this, no?)

Edited by queenanne
On 13/05/2017 at 6:07 PM, Tony Dickson said:

Still trying to figure out who The Man With the High Nose is.

The actor is Richard Waugh, who's a fixture on Canadian television mainly for his voice. His character here is Secretary of Homeland Security Jay Whittaker.

I get that the President likes to fight for the "little man" but he really should be focusing on big picture stuff or he'll never get anything done. Supposedly Kirkman has (or had) his "100 Days" Agenda, but we've learned nothing about what it was (to my recollection - I know it didn't contain his Gun Control Bill, at least initially).

If the Secretary of State is discussing nuclear disarmament, shouldn't he be talking to the UK as well as France? Both are nuclear powers, but the UK is a much more likely to follow the US lead than France is.

I'm sure Kimble did speak to members of the Turkish military. I thought she was going to be brought down by not remembering that she had done so, but given how involved the military had been in Turkish politics (less so in recent years), it is doubtful she didn't speak to somebody military. As Clear and Present Danger told us, the correct answer to any direct question of "Did you do X?" is "I have no recollection of doing so" rather than "I did not," because it looks like you may have something to hide if it's shown to be inaccurate.

Hey, next week are we going to have Toronto standing in for... Toronto?

It's lucky that conspirators are so loose lipped - but unlucky that Catalan is so competent. It would take a miracle for Atwood to survive in that situation, as Catalan seems highly competent, though you can never entirely rule out plot contrivance to save him.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Sorry, I can't feel too sorry for Atwood.  Crawling out of your hiding place in hostile territory?  Bad idea.  Really bad idea.  Plus, the fact that he started tailing Browning down an alley.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:37 AM, jhlipton said:

"This thing has a tracking radius of 10 miles."  "Damn, they're almost .2 miles ahead [they showed the tracker]!  I better speed up!"

That was such a "Hollywood Surveillance" moment - he had absolutely no reason to have got that close. A bit like the way that air (or space) combat is always depicted as taking place at visual range when it would probably involve missiles fired over the horizon.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:17 AM, Danielg342 said:

Didn't know the wiring in her bra could undo her locks.

In Spooks (MI:5, in the US) we had a woman using hers as a garotte! It also showed a captured female agent being held naked (using careful angles to prevent it being exploitative), partly to deny her using anything and partly to make her feel more vulnerable (it was also later revealed that she had been raped as part of her interrogation).

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, rab01 said:

On the conspiracy front, why didn't they kill Hannah immediately? Why kidnap her? She doesn't know anything the conspiracy needs to learn

They (presumably) want to know just what she does know, but if they were going to interrogate her, you'd think they'd deny her food, drink and sleep before trying to question her. For people who are mass murderers, they seem to be remarkably considerate to a captured enemy!

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:29 PM, shapeshifter said:

I forget; is Hannah Wells' techie sidekick still among the living, and, if so, would he and Atwood be on messaging terms?

He's still alive (he ran out of Hannah's apartment when it got blown up), last we saw him, IIRC. But it didn't seem that he & Atwood were particularly close, although they did both work for the FBI.