Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: White Butterflies

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I don't see Brown Halstead as a sad excuse for a detective.

With Antonio gone, I think he's the best detective they have. Al is good too, but not for a teenage sexual assault victim. Erin and Jay together is who I would have sent, but then we can't have the ridiculous Natalie flirting crap...

On 5/5/2017 at 0:17 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Jay is a smart, by the books detective who always preaches never going anywhere without backup. So yes, it's just a hospital, but he should always have a partner with him when investigating a case. 

But moreover, he's completely in love with Erin. He's also supposed to be suffering from and seeking help for PTSD from his time as an Army Ranger. He moved out of Erin's condo to get help (and a divorce from a one night marriage in Vegas 8 years ago) because he said he needed to be alone for a bit to figure it all out. He didn't take a break from Erin to hit on and/or date his brother's love interest. This is ridiculous.

YES, YES, YES, times a thousand!! I can kind of handwave the no-partner thing, since it's pretty clear they have to take it easy on the number of guest stars per episode. But his personality changes, I can't. It was out of character for him to take Natalie to the hockey game (he couldn't just call Ruzek or Atwater and ask them to meet him?) and I can't figure out what the deal is with his hanging around Natalie anyways. The Jay we know wouldn't do that to his brother, any more than Will would go after Erin. 

Oh, the night that Jay invited her to the game, she said the child was staying with someone else, like grandparent, aunt...I can't recall, but, she gave that excuse.  I can't recall how old her child is, but, most people that I know who get off work are bound to see the child PRONTO.  Afterwork events are planned and not done spur of the moment and often.  Especially, single parents. 

Natalie's son is just about one year old now, and her dead husband's mother watches him. I get that she's grandma and wants to do that, but seriously, Natalie! The woman watches the baby for days at a time (what are their shifts, like 30 hours?) and instead of immediately collecting the child and giving her a break, Natalie always goes off to Molly's for drinks, etc. You'd think they could at least give her a throwaway line, e.g. "Let me call Helen and see if she minds keeping Owen a little longer..."

• Love 2

UO I can't stand Connor. As bad as Charles came off in this he came off just as bad. I always found him smug and this episode was no different. It doesn't help that all this is over Robyn who I couldn't give a stuff about. 

Ethan/April - I quite like it and I didn't think I would...

This show made a mess of having Clarke. They never used him in the way that they should have. 

Its evident that the writers don't watch any of the other Chicago shows or know anything about the characters they use to crossover. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 6:12 PM, Chas411 said:

UO I can't stand Connor. As bad as Charles came off in this he came off just as bad. I always found him smug and this episode was no different.

I was glad when Robyn relapsed just so I could see the smug wiped off Connor's face. Perhaps Dr. Charles's approach was wrong, but he is a psychiatrist and her father. No one cares about her more. Connor was WAAAY out of line to question him and to fight him so strongly.

Edited by mrsbagnet

But Charles Sr. was wrong. He was wrong about the diagnosis, he was wrong to commit Robyn himself since he's her father and especially without talking to her, and he was wrong not to look for other causes till Connor's actions forced him to.  He also tried to look at her file which was unethical since he was her father.

They needed to redeem him for the last episode so everyone could be all upset when he was shot but if Connor had not forced the issue by helping Robyn who wanted out of there as soon as possible, they might still have been giving her the wrong treatment with the wrong diagnosis.

• Love 1

Charles went about everything all wrong but Connor thinking he could look after her was stupid as well as proven when she nearly through herself off the balcony. They were all lucky that scenario didn't end in a different more messy way.

I blame the writing which certainly went downhill in the second half of the season.

• When we saw Connor talking to Robyn in the hospital, she seemed entirely lucid and there was nothing about her that indicated she needed to stay in the hospital under involuntary confinement.  On a measure of psychosis, she would have scored very low.
  • Psychiatric hospitals have daycare facilities.  People live at home and go in during the day so they can be monitored and treated. Robyn would have spent nights with Connor but she would have been in the hospital during the day, in normal clothes so she can retain her self-esteem, and any indication she was becoming psychotic again would have been seen by a nurse or other professional. That's a pretty realistic and safe solution  if this were real life.
  • If there was any indication that she could have become psychotic so quickly, her psychiatrist would have told the meeting that and the lawyers wouldn't have been able to get her discharged.  Kwan and Charles couldn't keep Robyn in the hospital because there was no evidence to keep her as an in-patient.

The show went from Robyn being fine in the scene with Connor to Kwan having no evidence to keep holding her, to suddenly becoming psychotic, which seems unrealistic to me in real life and was even lampshaded in the show that this was happening too fast. 

It was written like that for cheap dramatics.

• Love 3