Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: White Butterflies

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, starri said:

That may depend on the hospital.  In every one I've worked at, patients spend at least the first 24 hours in gowns and scrub pants.  

So much about this story rubs me the wrong way.  

Robin had been in for considerably more than 24 hours because she said that the meds were working and she wasn't hallucinating any more.  This story rubs me the wrong way because it's so sensationalized for the melodrama.  For example,

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Two things about the balcony scene.  It was a sliding door, which wouldn't likely be blocked by a broom that long.  The reason is that it would fit in only at an angle, and thus have no strength.  Secondly, would a balcony door lock from the outside?  I can't see any reason that it would. 

It's ridiculous to have a balcony door that locks from the outside.  Is it so that the burglars can lock you in while they make their getaway?

The person I was watching with got upset at that story. She says it's hard enough to live with  mental illness (she was diagnosed OCD) without having TV shows add that kind of stigma to it like Robin's freakout.

6 hours ago, starri said:

I think they may have cribbed the ALS storyline from this guy.  If you're feeling fragile, I would avoid clicking the link; I teared up reading it.  But yes, an ALS patient can donate organs. 

That makes me mad instead. At the end of his life, the only thing he had left to give was his organs.  I can understand relatives not wanting to donate if someone is in a coma and could wake up but why wouldn't you want a bit of yourself or your loved on to live on and make someone else's life easier when all that is left for him is a slow death?

Canada has been dealing with the assisted suicide debate for a couple of years now but too many people still go to Switzerland for help.

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think it's A.  odd that Will would invite her.  I mean, is that considerate of Nina?  He has to work with her, but, invite her for drinks on the heels of the previous issue?  and B. Why did Natalie accept?  She knows how she acted with Will and he rejected her advances.  So, what is Natalie's agenda?  Why not just go home and let things alone?

I think Will invited her to be friendly.  They're friends and he's generally clueless that way.  And it seems like she's always been free for a drink or a date after work even with a baby.

I would like to give Natalie the benefit of the doubt.  So if Will makes a play for her next episode and she says "Will, no. You  have a girlfriend and you have to be fair to her" I will take back everything I said about her romantic character (although not her doctoring or judging).

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Robin had been in for considerably more than 24 hours because she said that the meds were working and she wasn't hallucinating any more.  This story rubs me the wrong way because it's so sensationalized for the melodrama.

I really couldn't get a sense of how long she'd been in.  Illinois has the longest involuntary commitment holds that I'm aware of at five days, and I think Connor said if she'd been in Michigan or Indiana she'd already be out, so I guess four days?  But I don't necessarily think the meds were "working" per se, just that Connor caught her during a lucid period.

I'm still pretty sure she doesn't have a psychiatric condition, which is why the psychosis escalated so dramatically beyond even what we'd seen before while she was taking the Risperdal.  I'm betting one of the show's writers read Brain on Fire and decided it would be a good story to adapt.

20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Canada has been dealing with the assisted suicide debate for a couple of years now but too many people still go to Switzerland for help.

A few states have assisted suicide laws.  I don't know, my feelings about that are complicated.  But I don't view obeying the (fictional) patient's wishes and pushing the heparin, nor the withdrawal of the ventilator in the NPR story to be suicidal in nature.  I've met people from LiveOnNY, mentioned in the story.  They're good people.

33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Is it so that the burglars can lock you in while they make their getaway?

Burglars or Spider-Man.

I try to stick with this show because I like many of the actors, but the writing is making that increasingly difficult - it is a disaster

First, Connor desperately tries to get help for Robin because he's seeing how quickly her mental state is deteriorating. Dr. Charles argues with him. Then Dr. Charles sees that Robin is in less than good shape mentally and takes some steps to get her help. (Should he have taken those exact steps? That's debatable.) Only now, Connor suddenly thinks, oh, it's not that bad. As others have pointed out, Robin is secondary at best in her own story. This immediately devolved into a pissing match between both men, and it's made neither of them come off particularly well.  

That final scene was extremely disturbing. I, too, fully expected Robin to jump. 

The focus on April with the baby and engagement stories served one purpose: to solidify in my mind that I find her quite unlikable. So of course they're saddling a character I actually like - Dr. Choi - with her. Of course they are. And his interest in her came from where, exactly? Oh, that's right: nowhere. 

They get rid of Jeff - a decent character and actor, both of whom deserved better - so we can see more of Noah who falls squarely into the "Ugh" category. 

Natalie is damn near unwatchable now. I looked at TD's reaction shots when the character was mostly in the background, and they were awful; almost every single time, her expression was either totally blank or full on judgmental/bitchy. Do I give Natalie the benefit of the doubt that she's not trying to interfere in Will's current relationship? No, I do not. I think she knows exactly what she's doing. 

For what it's worth, I think Will is equally as terrible. His response to seeing her haircut (and what is this: the guy notices the girl after she undergoes a faux-makeover? Is this some kind of teen romcom?) while sitting next to his girlfriend was, and I quote, "Woah." They're both gross. I'm still fully on Team Nina, though I have to wonder why she continues to put up with this garbage from her significant other. Once that implodes, which will undoubtedly be by the end of the season, I hope there's still a place for her on the show. With Choi now evidently embroiled with April (again, I say: ugh), that narrows down the potential love interests for Nina to . . .  Rhodes. Isn't he pretty much it? (Not that I object. I think they're adorable and that would likely translate well to the screen, imo.)

Finally, in regard to Jay, I didn't see anything remotely resembling any interest in Natalie from him (thank goodness). I'm not sure that we're in the clear as far as that goes, though, because as has been pointed out, the writers for Med evidently don't care about how out of character they portray individuals from other Chicago shows, and they certainly don't pay the slightest bit of attention to those characters' histories and stories. Would it be beyond Natalie to use Jay to make Will jealous? I don't think so, especially since there's obviously a reason the writers have dragged Jay into that mess. Given that he's supposed to be all about Erin, I can't see him going there, but would the writers have Natalie ask him out or plant a kiss on him or something? I wouldn't put it past them. Unfortunately.

• Love 12
(edited)

I think Connor's opposition to Dr. Charles in this story comes less from his being a typically arrogant surgeon than from his tendency to see any father as a Bad Dad, a reflected image of his own father.

Edited to add: I thought the maybe balcony doors swung out, and Robin threaded the broom through the door handles to bar the door. But maybe Connor's balcony locks from the outside because he's really Batman.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

They're slowly but surely ruining Med for me now, with all this pairing off, and pushing unlikeable characters to the fore (the Sexton siblings, I'm talking' to you) and trashing other ones who had charm and potential (Jeff, Nina? we will miss you). Wouldn't it be great to see a mature show for mature viewers where people had significant others from outside their workplace?

• Love 7

I have hope for Sharon and the Hawaiian guy.  I've liked them together ever since Connor took her to his bar to kick back.

16 hours ago, starri said:

I really couldn't get a sense of how long she'd been in.  Illinois has the longest involuntary commitment holds that I'm aware of at five days, and I think Connor said if she'd been in Michigan or Indiana she'd already be out, so I guess four days?  But I don't necessarily think the meds were "working" per se, just that Connor caught her during a lucid period.

I'm still pretty sure she doesn't have a psychiatric condition, which is why the psychosis escalated so dramatically beyond even what we'd seen before while she was taking the Risperdal.  I'm betting one of the show's writers read Brain on Fire and decided it would be a good story to adapt.

I hope that she's got a physical condition because this storyline is a mess. But if it is, then it's going to be all about her father, who jumped the guy because he's got his own issues about the family psychiatric history.

The whole storyline is pure melodrama.   If the involuntary hold is only five days, it's not such a big deal to have her in the hospital for that long.   I thought I heard a month last episode so in that case that would make sense for Connor to bring in the lawyers.  But for a couple of days more?  It just doesn't make sense.  By the time they got before a judge, the remaining day would be up anyway.

Also if Kwan were competent, he could make a good argument for why Robin should be in for the full five days.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I think Connor's opposition to Dr. Charles in this story comes less from his being a typically arrogant surgeon than from his tendency to see any father as a Bad Dad, a reflected image of his own father.

I get that we're supposed to see Connor's opposition to be about his own father but 1. Charles was not like that since Connor has known him even though he admits to past mistakes;  2. Connor is the one who went to Charles in the first place because he was worried bout Robin; and 3. that psychiatric  department seems really incompetent.  And that's not even getting into new resident and conflict-of-interest holder Reese being the one to do the evaluation on Robin and treat her.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

IEdited to add: I thought the maybe balcony doors swung out, and Robin threaded the broom through the door handles to bar the door. But maybe Connor's balcony locks from the outside because he's really Batman.

I've never seen balcony doors that swing out because there is rarely enough room on a balcony to have door that swing out, and even when there is, there's usually furniture or plants in the space.  Most balconies on high rises are pretty small because they want the floor space for inside.

Bad writing.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2017 at 1:10 PM, Sandman said:

But limiting the "relevance" of someone to your life based on whether or not you are currently involved with that person seems a little cold. They were a couple, even if they are no longer together. Their breakup was civil, if not wholly mutual, and they're certainly colleagues now, and friendly, if not especially close. Jeff clearly wanted to say something to her, but let an opportunity pass. I get that Natalie might feel a little stung by his slipping away without any word to her. It's not like her world is crumbling. The biggest problem this show has is that characters so often seem to respond to setbacks and personal failings in ways that are not proportional (i.e., adult). I think Natalie's response here is relatively well-proportioned and reasonable. I don't think she's villainous -- just not very self-aware; but she's not alone in that. (Hi, uh, everyone else in the cast.)

I get what you're saying. My irrelevant comment, stemmed from the fact that Maggie whom he barely even knows, knew that his match was in Hawaii. It came across as though Jeff didn't want her to know until the last minute. Then he just left without saying a word to her.

I agree that she's not villainous. She has a tendency to act and speak without thinking first. Those actions make her seem immature.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2017 at 11:48 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I agree that Connor was in the wrong here too. Much like Dr. Charles initially, Connor's in denial that there's anything really wrong with Robin. For all he knew, she needed some therapy but not to be locked up for several days, maybe even closer to a week. And it didn't help that he visited Robin when she was in a lucid period, perfectly calm and making Connor assume that it was all going to be alright. It's not that Connor didn't think that she needed help, though, but that she didn't need to be locked up. Of course, for him, he didn't think that she'd go from hearing rats to destroying his apartment. It does go to show that even someone like Connor doesn't know it all and he's not capable of taking care of Robin right now. It's also not his responsibility. 

What I found interesting was that Connor was yelling at Dr. Charles about his parenting methods. I do think that he might have been projecting his own daddy issues and taking it out on Dr. Charles, maybe a tiny bit. But hey, Connor got to do something other than standing around and doing surgeries, so that was a nice change. He's still my favourite character by far, which might help me see his side a little better. Not that I excuse his actions, but I see things a little differently when it comes to him. 

Not only was he projecting his daddy issues, he was also projecting his mommy issues. He couldn't protect his mother from his father. He couldn't help her through her depression, and he couldn't prevent her suicide. In his mind he was protecting Robin. I like Dr. Charles, but last week he did make it seem as though it was okay for people in the mental health profession to go rogue. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Watched on demand last night but remain annoyed at some of the storylines.  For starters, why is it a good idea to dump the Jeff character and stick the viewers with Noah?  I can tell you for a fact right here that I would not want Noah treating me in any emergency room.  I'd rather be treated by one of the nurses (ok, maybe not April for reasons I will get to) and that's a fact.  Preferably Maggie.  Does Noah even want to be a doctor?  From earlier episodes, it sounds like Mom and sister pushed him into it.  I guess we'll see.

Why in a sane world would a caring doctor or nurse ever want to go against a patient's directive and keep someone alive who is condemned to the hell death from ALS??  At least Choi backed off but April persisted in her sanctimonious determination to keep a guy alive so he can suffer a hideous death while depriving over fifty people of life-saving organs?  I'm not an advocate of wholesale doctor assisted suicide but this was different due to the patient's legally-binding advance directive.  Ludicrous. 

Gosh, Rhodes, bet you feel pretty stupid now, huh??  Rachel is not a character that makes you sympathetic towards her.  Dr. Charles handled that badly but so did Rhodes.  

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 5
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, statsgirl said:

Other than how impressive it was that Natalie found a haircutting salon that was open that late and could fit her in, 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering about the logistics of Natalie's haircut. Not only does she find a place open that late, she's able to get an appointment at the last minute, and she's able to get from the hospital to the salon to the bar all in a reasonable time frame. (Will, Nina, & Jay didn't seem like they had been waiting a long time for Natalie to show up.) 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I thought Natalie got the haircut because two of the themes of this episode were new beginnings and innocence.  

I agree, that the haircut was suppose to be symbolizing Natalie's new beginning, but I can see why people see it as Natalie got a haircut to try and impress Will. I do find it strange that Natalie had to get her haircut right then. Maybe Natalie's the kind of girl who freaks out at the thought of cutting her hair, so she had to do it before she lost her nerve. idk I'm still impressed she got an appointment; it usually is a week before I can get one.

22 hours ago, statsgirl said:

And it seems like she's always been free for a drink or a date after work even with a baby.

I was so wondering who was taking care of Owen while Natalie went off for drinks. Just to be clear I'm not saying that a single parent can't have a social life, but Natalie has had so many episodes where instead of going home after work she goes off to be social. I'm starting to wonder if 1) Natalie has a 24/7 nanny or 2)the MIL lives with Natalie and doesn't mind taking care of Owen all the time. A couple of weeks ago Natalie was worried if she was a bad parent; if she was really worried you'd think she would go home once in awhile instead of going out. now I get it in tv land we're just suppose to hand wave that someone is of course taking care of the kid and that the parent called to let them know their plans had changed.

21 hours ago, weathered1 said:

For what it's worth, I think Will is equally as terrible. His response to seeing her haircut (and what is this: the guy notices the girl after she undergoes a faux-makeover? Is this some kind of teen romcom?) while sitting next to his girlfriend was, and I quote, "Woah." They're both gross. 

Will annoyed me this episode. Not only does he invite Natalie, the woman Nina has indicated she is jealous of, he goes gaga over Natalie's haircut with Nina sitting right there. Is Will stupid? I think Will must be stupid. Now I don't like when a boyfriend or girlfriend dictates who you can be friends with, but if your boyfriend or girlfriend has indicated they have problems with one of your friends maybe idk talk to them before asking said friend to tag along. Maybe Will was trying to show Nina that Natalie & he are really just friends or maybe he was trying to set Jay up with her. idk but I was like why are you inviting Natalie? 

Now the haircut really it wasn't that amazing; also I have never seen a guy go gaga over a girls haircut before. I guess the writers are going with like you said Will finally notices Natalie now that she's had a faux makeover. Blah I just can't with this "love story". 

Edited by Fireball
typo
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Seriously. That can't be Will's real hair. No way. It's impossible. 

It is also too distracting. I can't concentrate on what he is saying.

Ha. We call him "Dr Halstead's Wig" here in the MML house. I haven't seen this episode and probably won't but when I read all the comments about a new hairstyle on one of the characters I was sooo hoping it was for Will; Maybe Show can use Nat's clippings to fashion a new piece for him.

I guess ill continue to be devils advocate when it comes to Noah... But I just read how a poster would rather be serviced by nurses than Noah... And then said of all the nurses April is def the one nurse you didn't want... I'm confused as to what Noah has done medically that makes you say that... What little we know about Noah is that hes got a big sister who coddles him... And hes tried (and failed mostly)  to get extra help with his studies.. But hes never been portrayed as lacking in medical knowledge.. Willingness to push himself.. Sure... But no huge medical mistakes.. I've seen ppl bring up the medical concierge app.. But he wasn't a doctor thats why he needed will... Compared to the real mistakes and wrong calls these gung ho doctors make.. I don't see the big deal... 

• Love 1

Noah had been portrayed last season as a Doctor that really struggles and tries to take the easier path.   Even earlier this season he was written as someone who tries to get over rather being really competent.  i think they've tried to redress that later in the season, but it comes a little too late because the damage is already done with how they characterized him last season.

The April dislike just makes me scratch my head, but I guess I am a minority on this.  I like her just fine.    She has been portrayed as a competent nurse even would have been a smarter doctor than Noah if her family hadn't had deeply conservative views and steered her away from medicine and toward nursing.  I thought her objection to what was happening with the ALS patient was because she said issuing him the heparin amounted to assisted suicide.  It was an emotional opinion, which didn't, imo, make her awful, just made her have an opposing viewpoint.  If she made a habit of it, like say Natalie, then I'd just roll my eyes.  But she doesn't normally.

I am also a minority opinion when it comes to the love for Nina. I am indifferent to her.  She just doesn't make a huge impression on me at all except when she decided to get all mean girl on Natalie.  Which was a shitty thing to do, really. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Noah came on least season always trying to get the easy way out and have others do the work for him, appearing entitled rather than insecure.  The concierge doctor app was a quick rich scheme, and as soon as he realized that it would cost money he dropped it.   He's better now but he still tried to do that when Reese taught the baby class.  His treatment of April, pulling the "I'm the doctor (me: not yet sweetie) and you're just the nurse" card didn't endear him to me even if he was nice when she lost the baby.

I liked April last season but her pregnancy arc lost me. In this episode she let her personal feelings get in the way of her medical judgement.  This show has a real problem with making female characters judgey.  April was out of line telling the ALS man that her baby died and she would have been so happy having a few months with it.  Really, April?  When it was two months of suffering as his body deteriorates and fails him?  There's a reason medical staff are supposed to keep their personal lives out of the medical treatment.   And then she got mad at Choi who was acting professionally, for not pushing the man to do what she wanted.

I like Nina because she was smart and funny  until the sudden jealousy about Natalie so that the show could justify going Manstead. And even then she acted like an adult and admitted it to Will.  Nina makes Will sympathetic, Natalie potentiates his worst qualities.  Exhibit A: his behaviour when she showed up at the bar.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I've said this before: Noah the brother is actually just fine. He's really worked his way up to being a better brother than he was last season (not that I can remember the exact details, but I do remember him being a dick toward April). Noah the doctor is...not good. They're trying to correct it to say that he's a good doctor now, but I'm just not buying it because it's way too late. He definitely tried to take the easy way out more than once. I'm reading up on his bio online, the little that there is, and I forgot that in his first appearance, he was taking credit for work he didn't even do (from Sarah, no less!) and then asked for April to not find out about his lying. Didn't he also start up some medical app business earlier this season but had to rope Will in on it because he wasn't able to do it on his own? I remember Will saving his ass on that business because he would have most definitely been sued. 

I just don't really see why he really can't be April's brother who eventually figured out that being a doctor wasn't right for him. I don't know why they're forcing him into a clear series regular role. I mean, he's a resident now, he's going to clearly be Sarah's new love interest, he's April's brother, and his mentor is Dr. Choi. That's three solid connections to main characters and yet, they are only setting it up in the last four episodes of the season. If they wanted me to like him as a doctor, personally they should have been doing a better job of it. 

• Love 3

My problem with Noah begins with, in his very first episode, the fact that he needed to have his sister (his "just a nurse"--his words--sister) explain why you shock V-tach and don't shock asystole.  If you are a third year medical student and don't understand that, you have no business being around patients.

• Love 4

I'm sad that the nice relationship Dr. Charles and Connor had in Season 1 is now kaput.

I'm sad that we lost Jeff as it was cool to see a 'mature' med student's journey and I would've liked his character to have been developed beyond obstacle for Will and Natalie. I'll miss that smile. And if we had gone down the road of romance for him, I'd have loved it to be with Maggie. Hopefully Hephner got a pilot/starring role on another show like he deserves.

Natalie is totally free to date whoever she wants. Having said that, girl, you know Will wants you, dating his brother or even just 'hanging out' is just going to be all kinds of complicated for everyone.

As soon as you heard Choi was single again, I knew something was in the works with him with another main female character and with April also single again. It's funny that Maggie warned her about making googly eyes at Connor back in S1 when it ends up being Choi.

Will's hair is fabulously odd and amazing.

• Love 2

Noah also seems more interested in flirting with the opposite sex than in doing his job. He was flirting with Sarah last episode instead of trying to figure out a way to impress Dr. I-can't-remember-his-name. The episode with the marathon instead of treating the runners he was flirting with the cute woman and I'm sure there are other instances.

Noah seems more into the status of being a doctor than in the reality of being one. I doubt he would have become a doctor if his family hadn't pushed him to.

• Love 2

He might have become a doctor because they can make a lot of money.  He doesn't seem much into helping patients though.  I don't know why Stohl was pushing for him so much.

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

He might have become a doctor because they can make a lot of money.  He doesn't seem much into helping patients though.  I don't know why Stohl was pushing for him so much.

Money probably had something to do with it; when I typed status In my mind I was including status from having money etc.

Dr. Stohl that's his name. I also don't understand his Noah love. He even almost hugged Noah when he found out Noah had gotten the position.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I just don't really see why he really can't be April's brother who eventually figured out that being a doctor wasn't right for him.

This would have been awesome! I seem to remember that being a doctor was what Noah's parent's wanted for him. April wanted to be a doctor, but according to the parents the son should be the doctor. I've never gotten the impression it was something Noah actually wanted to do. I also got the impression that he only got through med school because of April's help.

• Love 2
(edited)

This show is going to the toilet.  I'm assuming the writers for Med are also the same for PD, Fire, and Justice?  Because it seems like with this series, they just sort of make up whatever they want out of the blue even if it doesn't seem to fit.

April and Choi?  The heck?  OK, so Choi dated that Army doctor for a brief second, so maybe he does have a penchant for African American women.  But this was completely out of left field.  We've never even seen them flirt at all before.  And they have this big fight over the patient and the heparin, so now we're supposed to believe they have some instant attraction?

Really getting tired of Connor.  First of all, he is a surgical fellow.  So for him to address an experienced attending the way he did is ludicrous.  For him to address the father of his girlfriend like that is even more unbelievable.  Yet, he is a silver spoon Rhodes, so I guess he is just an arrogant prick in every facet of his life.  I thought Robin was going to jump off the balcony and that would be the end of this ridiculous storyline.  Robin is crazy, yet apparently she still knows to stick the broomstick in the patio door to block it from opening.  Why couldn't Connor have broken the glass?

Noah.  Oh no!  If there's any reason why I will stop watching this show (and I know I won't because of all the crossover action from the other shows), it will be for this poor excuse for a medical student.  I agree with comments up above that he doesn't seem to have any passion for medicine and the well-being of his patients.  He's in it for the prestige, the title, and the money.  Yet knowing these writers, they are going to make him into some earnest brilliant clinician in the span of 3 episodes next year.  I will miss Jeff, but he was kind of absent the last couple of episodes anyway.  Once he and Natalie went kaput, his purpose was essentially done. 

Dr. Stohl didn't even really to seem to know who his department had picked, which is odd considering he is in charge.  He congratulated first Jeff, and then later Noah when Noah came running into the ER screaming like a teenager.  To me, it seemed like one of those fake congrats for each of them and just trying to play nice and polite.

Natalie and Will...so either Natalie hooks up with Jay to get Will jealous (which we know in real life that would mean she and Will would never happen), or we finally do see Will break up with the useless Nina.  We are supposed to believe that she got off shift, found some salon to cut her hair (which takes at least, what, perhaps 1-1.5 hours?), and then she still showed up to Molly's in time for a drink with Will, Nina, and Jay?  Yeah, right.

Edited by greyhorse
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, greyhorse said:

I will miss Jeff, but he was kind of absent the last couple of episodes anyway.  Once he and Natalie went kaput, his purpose was essentially done.

I thought he had some real chemistry with April.  Certainly more than she has with Ethan.

I wish Maggie could get her own storyline.  Even the one episode with her transgender cousin wasn't even really about her.  The scene where she explaining the transplant process to the ALS guy was so great, as was the scene when she refused to let Keoni leave.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, starri said:

I thought he had some real chemistry with April.  Certainly more than she has with Ethan.

I wish Maggie could get her own storyline.  Even the one episode with her transgender cousin wasn't even really about her.  The scene where she explaining the transplant process to the ALS guy was so great, as was the scene when she refused to let Keoni leave.

I agree about April and Jeff and I am very annoyed that Jeff is going but Noah is staying. 

I also wonder why the hell Maggie can't get a personal storyline?  Season one it annoyed me no end that she seemed to exist to be Natalie's cheerleader/soundingboard/support system.  I hope they redress this next season.

• Love 5

Jeff was cool but boring and was basically just there to kinda be with Natalie... I like Noah cuz he seems to be at least a little realistic ...hes not a know it all... Flirts a bit too much... He did seem to wanna skate by but I think he got set straight by choi and April... I actually liked the concierge app... Nothing wrong with trying to make money... Will just found a sick patient who they saved but who's wishes they disobeyed... I didn't like the supplement thing cuz I was never sure if it was legal or not... Tho I guess as they never went back to it... It was legal... Hes a bit of a screwup but hea working on it and to that I can relate

If Connor had broken the glass, it would have made things worse.  Pieces could/would have hit Robin, she could have used one on either of them and, depending on how much force he used, some could have fallen to the street below and hurt someone else.  If he had a glass cutter (which I doubt), that would have worked better.  Otherwise, he needed to call an ambulance.

(edited)

. But I just read how a poster would rather be serviced by nurses than Noah... And then said of all the nurses April is def the one nurse you didn't want... I'm confused as to what Noah has done medically that makes you say that.

Ok, that was me.  Here's my issue with Noah.  I suppose it's based on the past three years of struggling with serious and baffling health issues.  For too long I had doctors that were indecisive, incomunicative and threw meds at me hoping something would help and nothing did.   Most just made things worse. It wasn't until I found a team of doctors who were confident, experienced and decisive in their course of treatment that I was able to heal and begin to live life again.

The way Noah has been portrayed by the writers and actor, I'd put him in the former category.  He shows no confidence  in his diagnostic and treatment skills and relies on others to validate his decisions.  He also does not come off as a confident medical practitioner. In real life, that's a serious thing.  Frankly I wouldn't want to be treated by Natalie either.  So my comments were perceptions from the way the character seems on the screen and my own experience.  

Didnt mean to offend.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, greyhorse said:

This show is going to the toilet.  I'm assuming the writers for Med are also the same for PD, Fire, and Justice?  Because it seems like with this series, they just sort of make up whatever they want out of the blue even if it doesn't seem to fit.

Natalie and Will...so either Natalie hooks up with Jay to get Will jealous (which we know in real life that would mean she and Will would never happen), or we finally do see Will break up with the useless Nina.  We are supposed to believe that she got off shift, found some salon to cut her hair (which takes at least, what, perhaps 1-1.5 hours?), and then she still showed up to Molly's in time for a drink with Will, Nina, and Jay?  Yeah, right.

Nope, that's one of the problems.  Derek Haas has said on twitter that they have different writers, and he's not involved with writing Med.

I just got my hair cut the other day in 30 minutes.  Something uncomplicated and no color can be quick.

It takes about 45 minutes for me to get my hair cut.  But I usually have to wait a couple of days for an appointment, and they never work in the evening.

If I were admitted to Chicago Med with a serious condition, I'd want to be treated by the docs in this diminishing order:

• Choi or Rhodes
  • Abrams for neuro, Latham for cardio-thoracic
  • Halstead
  • Charles, as long as I wasn't a relative of his
  • Maggie for my nurse

If it was a routine matter:

• Natalie, as long as I hadn't done anything to be judged for
  • Reese or Jeff
  • April for my nurse
19 minutes ago, limecoke said:

Here's my issue with Noah.  I suppose it's based on the past three years of struggling with serious and baffling health issues.  For too long I had doctors that were indecisive, incomunicative and threw meds at me hoping something would help and nothing did.   Most just made things worse. It wasn't until I found a team of doctors who were confident, experienced and decisive in their course of treatment that I was able to heal and begin to live life again.

My best friend was very active and vital until she started experiencing muscle problems six years ago. Since then, she has grown increasingly disabled till she's reached the point where she can barely walk even with a wheely-walker.  Her family doctor just tells her "Keep doing what you're doing" instead of doing whatever he can to get her a diagnosis and treatment.  For this he's making far more money than I ever will.

I suppose it's a good thing that there are such diverse characters on the show so that it appeals to a wide range of people. I know that it takes a lot of hard work to become a doctor but it's also a privilege to have the opportunity, and for me, Noah hasn't earned it.

I don't think I see the big deal about Will's hair?  It looks the same in every picture of him, so it has to be his natural hair.  It might not be the most flattering length/cut, but it's not THAT bad...

• Love 1

For them to take this show and ruin it with poor writing is just ridiculous.  I mean, just how difficult can it be?  I have no training, but, I really think that I could do a better job.  Where are all the good writers?  It seems their idea of what is amusing and interesting as a storyline is not in line with a lot of the viewers.  As others have said, why promote lousy characters that we don't like and get rid of good ones that we do like.  I realize you have to have a mix, but, come....... this reminds me some other shows that bit the bullet after a few seasons due to similar problems.  It's a real shame.  Plus, the nonsensical things that appears that they don't really get much expert support. 

Good point above about the balcony scene.  I don't buy it.  And apparently, Robyn had done quite a bit of damage to the apt before Connor awoke.  Really?  Under the circumstances he slept while she arose, talked aloud, broke things, etc.  It's so poorly addressed. Plus, the entire way she was released.......sloppy.  

I think the producers and/or writers underestimate the intellect and acuity of their viewers. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think I see the big deal about Will's hair?  It looks the same in every picture of him, so it has to be his natural hair.  It might not be the most flattering length/cut, but it's not THAT bad...

Seriously? I mean it looks like a red helmet that he has preciously sitting on his head. Everybody gets on the girl from the Blacklist about her wig and I am an equal opportunity mocker.

I do agree with you though. It is not that bad. It is much much worse. Yeeech.

21 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

Seriously? I mean it looks like a red helmet that he has preciously sitting on his head. Everybody gets on the girl from the Blacklist about her wig and I am an equal opportunity mocker.

I do agree with you though. It is not that bad. It is much much worse. Yeeech.

I don't watch The Blacklist, so I don't know who you are talking about.  But...

Nick+Gehlfuss+Srby6CVFZQfm.jpg

That's bad hair?  I'm sorry, but are people just jealous that he's a man who still has a full head of hair?  If that's as bad as everyone is saying it is, I'd hate to see what would be said about me...

This photo looks a lot different than how he looks on Chicago Med.Chicago+Med+-+Inherent+Bias+-+Will+and+N

I mean does that look like a toupe or what?

Most of the time it is slicked down and looks like the carpeting in the walkway at my car wash. Just sayn'

For comparison purposes....one of the worst toupees of all time:

6c06be0e04a50f647f01be65b3e9fa5d.jpg

1 hour ago, Trooper York said:

This photo looks a lot different than how he looks on Chicago Med.

I mean does that look like a toupe or what?

Most of the time it is slicked down and looks like the carpeting in the walkway at my car wash. Just sayn'

Ha, the photo I posted was from a publicity event on March 20, 2017, so it wasn't that old.  The photo of Nick you posted looks exactly the same to me, just a little bit longer.  It doesn't look like a toupe to me.

The worst toupe I've ever seen is nothing like these - guy has naturally gray hair.  His toupe is dark brown.  So not working...

Well these guys are Hollywood douches who spend tons of money on their rugs. 

I just am totally distracted by Will's hair. I don't get it.

But then I am easily distracted in this show because the plots suck so bad.

Ok. Is this show TRYING to convince me to stop watching? I'm sick of all the melodramatic storylines that I flat-out do not like. None of them have the buildup required to make them convincing. Honestly, my AP English class could write better.

I wish this show would trade melodrama for subtlety. I can think of several storylines that would be more appropriate. 

1. Reese going through therapy as part of her psychiatry residency—There is a good space to explore some of Reese's underlying self-esteem issues and the dynamic with her mother, which has been touched upon but not really explored.

2. More of Latham and Rhodes together—The two of them have come to develop camaraderie. It would be fun to see them progress and this provides the show with an opportunity to incorporate actual medicine rather than melodrama.

3. Will/Natalie friendship—I can't see them as a couple, but I would be open to learning more about their history if it is done authentically and I think they could be good as friends.

4. Robyn character development—We still only know her through the context of her relationships with Dr. Rhodes and her father. The mental health storyline isn't necessarily a bad premise, but the current direction is far too melodramatic. Instead, the focus needs to center around Robyn and how this impacts her as a person. It is important to acknowledge how her mental health issues affect those close to her, but Robyn should not become lost in a storyline centered around her. 

5. Choi and Army Doctor—This ship has sailed, though I was always curious as to why there was very limited mention of their relationship. The few scenes where we saw them interact were enjoyable. This storyline is worth building because it provides more layers to Choi outside of his career and experience in the Navy. It is also a normal relationship where the couple has different workplaces. Refreshing.

6. Noah maturing—This needs to be a gradual storyline for it to be convincing. I have previously chronicled my dislike for Noah and his lack of hard work. He had a rare redeeming moment in that one scene after April's miscarriage. Great! Let's see more of him actually caring about other people! Let's explore what factors catalyze him to start working towards being a good doctor! For instance, he could (questionably) become an ED resident next year along with one or two others, who would be new characters. The other new residents would have dedicated, focused, and competitive personalities, basically the opposite of Noah. The show can now use this contrast as a foundation, writing good scenes where Noah interacts with the other residents who do not tolerate his attitude. At first, Noah would be confused by their hostility and respond by staying away from them because they are too uptight for him. Over time, Noah would witness small moments where the other residents interact with their patients, and be surprised by their sincerity and kindness, allowing him to realize that their perceived uptightness is truly focus and commitment to becoming the best doctors possible. Noah would start to feel as though he is falling behind his peers and begin to see his inadequacies; when he compares his interactions with patients and colleagues to those of the other residents, he sees that he is not taken as seriously. He comes to understand that way for him to earn respect is to work hard and listen to patients and more experienced doctor. So gradually we see him listen more thoroughly to patients, utilize advice of other doctors, and actively solicit second opinions when he is unsure. Noah doesn't necessarily become deathly serious, but we can see his sincerity and focus when it counts.

Honestly, Noah does not have to be an unlikeable character, but if the show does not shift its writing of him, he will be doomed as the most loathed character on the show. I apologize if this post is too long. I would love to hear everyone else's proposals for improved storylines.

• Love 4

What really bothers me about Natalie is the fact she has a son and she hardly seems to care about getting home to be with him!  An episode or two ago, she was skype-ing with him and feeling guilty that she wasn't spending more time with him.  So in this episode, she gets off work, goes to get her hair cut, then decides to go to Molly's for a drink!  For gawds sake Natalie - go home and be with your kid!!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, kentlady said:

What really bothers me about Natalie is the fact she has a son and she hardly seems to care about getting home to be with him!  An episode or two ago, she was skype-ing with him and feeling guilty that she wasn't spending more time with him.  So in this episode, she gets off work, goes to get her hair cut, then decides to go to Molly's for a drink!  For gawds sake Natalie - go home and be with your kid!!

True.  If I didn't know that this character had a young child, I'd never guess from her behavior.  Most moms of young children talk about their child a lot and can't wait to get off work and spend time with them.  They have handled this in a hit or miss way with the Natalie character. 

• Love 4

Where is Olivia Benson when you need her? I would rather have had her appear. This is a Dick Wolf production, right? Better her than that sad excuse of a detective.

Another thing, I thought assisted suicide was only legal in Washington and Oregon? Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, kinnej5 said:

Another thing, I thought assisted suicide was only legal in Washington and Oregon? Am I missing something here?

Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado and Vermont.

What happened here was that care was withdrawn from the patient.  It's not the same as actively intervening to cause death.

(edited)
On 2017-05-06 at 8:55 PM, statsgirl said:

This show has a real problem with making female characters judgey. 

Not just the female characters, I think; Rhodes and Red Halstead and Choi all spent the best part of the first season trying to substitute their own judgment for their patients' express wishes.

I don't see Brown Halstead as a sad excuse for a detective.

Edited by Sandman
24 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I don't see Brown Halstead as a sad excuse for a detective.

I don't either. I believe that SVU detectives would typically have some special training, or be picked for their personality types - such as having a good degree of empathy with victims, having a manner to coax information from sexually traumatized victims. Who would Voight pick from his squad if he were called upon to supply a detective for an SVU case? Erin Lindsay would come to my mind, but as we've seen this week, she has a lot of emotional baggage regarding abuse cases, and there was the whole Nadia thing. So I don't know, maybe Jay Halstead is as good as any.

• Love 1