Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: White Butterflies

• Start Topic

For the record, there is one more episode after this one. The finale airs on May 11th.

Dr. Rhodes challenges Dr. Charles and other hospital staff over the proper treatment for Robin. Dr. Manning seeks help from Det. Halstead when a sensitive case involving a young girl turns into a crime. Dr. Choi and April work together on a conflicting case. Meanwhile, Goodwin helps a friend in distress and, after eagerly awaiting, the doctors are surprised to learn who the new med resident is when match day finally arrives.

12 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

... I hate what this show is doing to Jay. 

Okay, I'll bite: what's wrong with Jay?

My reaction to the final scene: "Oh, for the love of GOD!" Are these writers trying to be as irresponsible as possible? The treatment of Robin's illness makes Lucia di Lammermoor look progressive.

Noah is going to be even more of a pill.

• Love 5

I kind of hated everyone this episode. 

No, show. I am NOT interested in April/Choi. I don't like April and I like Choi, so there's a problem. I hated that she refused to do her job. I didn't quite understand the case, and I feel bad for her miscarriage, but her refusing to do her job and blaming Choi was not cool. 

Of COURSE Dr. Charles had to be right about Robin. Not even a few hours later and Robin was already having a worse psychotic break, locking Connor in his apartment while she's screaming and almost jumping off the balcony. Sorry, but can psychotic episodes escalate that quickly? Because it felt more like plot contrivance so Connor's wrong and Dr. Charles is right. But I guess Robin/Connor will not be long for this world. They'll be broken up by the end of the season. Hey, maybe Connor can date Nina next season! Oh, I'd be game for that.

Speaking of Nina....goddamnit, Will. Of COURSE this is the episode where his feelings for Natalie click. Right, because a haircut reveals all. I know it probably was ignited with Natalie's confession last episode, but still. Dumb. Poor Nina. And yeah, they are so setting up for Jay/Natalie to either get into a serious relationship or go on a date at some point. 

I am pissed. I had hope for Jeff....and now he's gone. Who is asking for more Noah? WHO? They're doing everything wrong for next season!

• Love 13

I knew something was going to happen to Robin when they let her go. I knew it. I'm actually angry at Connor and not Dr. Charles at this point. Poor Sarah's just caught in the middle of all of this.

Ugh, April's brother. I seriously don't like him and I'm dreading the fact that he's got a residency at Med. I'm going to miss Jeff but he deserves better so hopefully he'll have better luck in Honolulu. 

• Love 9

This whole Dr.Choi being into April came out of left field. There was no build up, no flirting, nothing. Speaking of April, she needs to stop trying to be Natalie 2.0. Her whole not wanting to respect the patient's wishes was reminiscent of season 1 Will and her judgement based off of her emotions seemed like a Natalie trait.

I like Noah, I think he has great potential, that being said, I do think Jeff was a better candidate for the position. Jeff did not joke around like Noah did.

Shut up Natalie, it's not all about you.  Yes He left without telling you goodbye, you're irrelevant to him. I do hope the writers are not planning a love triangle between Natalie and the Halstead brothers, they both deserve better.

Even though Dr. Charles was wrong, so was Conner. Robin does need intensive Psychiatric help.  Hopefully she gets it. It was nice seeing Maggie interact with the patient (forgot his name). It was also nice seeing Sharon do something besides yelling at Will. 

12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I kind of hated everyone this episode. 

No, show. I am NOT interested in April/Choi. I don't like April and I like Choi, so there's a problem. I hated that she refused to do her job. I didn't quite understand the case, and I feel bad for her miscarriage, but her refusing to do her job and blaming Choi was not cool. 

Of COURSE Dr. Charles had to be right about Robin. Not even a few hours later and Robin was already having a worse psychotic break, locking Connor in his apartment while she's screaming and almost jumping off the balcony. Sorry, but can psychotic episodes escalate that quickly? Because it felt more like plot contrivance so Connor's wrong and Dr. Charles is right. But I guess Robin/Connor will not be long for this world. They'll be broken up by the end of the season. Hey, maybe Connor can date Nina next season! Oh, I'd be game for that.

Speaking of Nina....goddamnit, Will. Of COURSE this is the episode where his feelings for Natalie click. Right, because a haircut reveals all. I know it probably was ignited with Natalie's confession last episode, but still. Dumb. Poor Nina. And yeah, they are so setting up for Jay/Natalie to either get into a serious relationship or go on a date at some point. 

I am pissed. I had hope for Jeff....and now he's gone. Who is asking for more Noah? WHO? They're doing everything wrong for next season!

Yes psychotic episodes can escalate within a matter of minutes, especially if the person is hallucinating.

• Love 9

I don't think I liked anything about this episode.

I'm so annoyed that the writers teased us with Jeff is staying! That was so not cool to get my hopes up. Also I'm annoyed that they brought Jeff on for no real reason; they could have brought any actor on to be Natalie's love interest so why bring on Jeff? Now it's basically impassible for him to ever be back on Chicago Fire.

Noah barf I have no interest in him; the writers waited to long to try and make me care.

Choi & April came out of nowhere. But I'm sure we'll get drama between Choi/Noah/April oh goody not.

Robin of course she has a breakdown the first night that Connor brings her home. If she was acting like this at the hospital there is no way that she would be released or just show Connor and then he knows she's not A-Okay.  I'm not happy with the route the writers went with this storyline--of course Dr. Charles was right.

Will ugh Natalie's hair was not that amazing; the way he was acting I was expecting Natalie to be wearing a tight red dress.

None of these storylines have me excited for next week or even next season. Can we have a new show that follows Jeff to Honolulu?

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Fireball said:

None of these storylines have me excited for next week or even next season. Can we have a new show that follows Jeff to Honolulu?

If Connor, Nina, Goodwin, and Choi followed, then I'd be down with Honolulu Med. I'd even be down with Maggie tagging along. Sometimes she can be righteous and pompous, but most of the time, I'm cool with her.

• Love 16
48 minutes ago, spunky said:

Even though Dr. Charles was wrong, so was Conner. Robin does need intensive Psychiatric help.  Hopefully she gets it. It was nice seeing Maggie interact with the patient (forgot his name). It was also nice seeing Sharon do something besides yelling at Will. 

I agree that Connor was in the wrong here too. Much like Dr. Charles initially, Connor's in denial that there's anything really wrong with Robin. For all he knew, she needed some therapy but not to be locked up for several days, maybe even closer to a week. And it didn't help that he visited Robin when she was in a lucid period, perfectly calm and making Connor assume that it was all going to be alright. It's not that Connor didn't think that she needed help, though, but that she didn't need to be locked up. Of course, for him, he didn't think that she'd go from hearing rats to destroying his apartment. It does go to show that even someone like Connor doesn't know it all and he's not capable of taking care of Robin right now. It's also not his responsibility. 

What I found interesting was that Connor was yelling at Dr. Charles about his parenting methods. I do think that he might have been projecting his own daddy issues and taking it out on Dr. Charles, maybe a tiny bit. But hey, Connor got to do something other than standing around and doing surgeries, so that was a nice change. He's still my favourite character by far, which might help me see his side a little better. Not that I excuse his actions, but I see things a little differently when it comes to him. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Jeff is gone? :( Noo, I don't want more of April's brother. 

Choi and April? Ugh she'll ruin him and that kiss attempt came out of nowhere.

I thought Robin was going to jump off the balcony, would have served Connor right. 

Another episode of Jay interacting with Natalie. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I thought Robin was going to jump off the balcony, would have served Connor right. 

I honestly screamed "OH SHIT!" when she blocked the balcony door.

My question is: What happens to lead her being wheeled in on a gurney. She can't have jumped - she doesn't look too gravely injured and considering how high up Connor's apartment is I doubt she'd survive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Okay, I'll bite: what's wrong with Jay?

You don't watch PD then, I take it? Jay is a smart, by the books detective who always preaches never going anywhere without backup. So yes, it's just a hospital, but he should always have a partner with him when investigating a case. 

But moreover, he's completely in love with Erin. He's also supposed to be suffering from and seeking help for PTSD from his time as an Army Ranger. He moved out of Erin's condo to get help (and a divorce from a one night marriage in Vegas 8 years ago) because he said he needed to be alone for a bit to figure it all out. He didn't take a break from Erin to hit on and/or date his brother's love interest. This is ridiculous.  The way she said she was glad that Jay liked her haircut? Ugh.  On just last night's episode, he and Erin made some progress. Now we get this?

Two different writers' rooms don't work for one character. No consistency. 

• Love 13

Did the girls parents imply that they won't tell her she was sexually assaulted by her orthodontist? They want to "wait until she's ready" to hear the news? Bad idea. The right time never comes up and the next thing you know, 5 or 10 years has passed. And when she does find out, she has to deal with being assaulted AND the fact that her parents are liars. 

• Love 8

The mom said "not today". I think they intend to tell her soon (as the orthodontist will no doubt be arrested as quickly as possible) but wanted to let her recover and go home first. A few days tops.

ETA: also she doesn't know she was raped so they also need to figure out how to tell her and the best way to help her handle the fallout. 

• Love 5

Yikes! That last scene with Connor and Robin was unsettling. Like others have mentioned I was sure she was going to go off the balcony. I wonder how liable the hospital would be if she died or hurt Connor since they obviously missed something or released her before she was ready.

• Love 4

That's a good point. I don't remember them saying this but why wasn't Robin evaluated by another psychiatrist? Not one that Connor would pay for but one who could determine if Charles' actions had any merit? Wouldn't that be safer than just letting her out? She told Connor that the risperidone was working and the rats had stopped and Reese agreed with Charles that she needed inpatient care (though she disagreed with his methods). Yet she was released seemingly dur to the pressure of Connor's lawyers rather than getting medically cleared. Maybe this will be touched on next week?

• Love 10
(edited)
8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

That's a good point. I don't remember them saying this but why wasn't Robin evaluated by another psychiatrist? Not one that Connor would pay for but one who could determine if Charles' actions had any merit? Wouldn't that be safer than just letting her out? She told Connor that the risperidone was working and the rats had stopped and Reese agreed with Charles that she needed inpatient care (though she disagreed with his methods). Yet she was released seemingly dur to the pressure of Connor's lawyers rather than getting medically cleared. Maybe this will be touched on next week?

That scene around the table with Dr. Charles....so bizarre.  A private attorney can't just suddenly  get a sit down meeting with hospital higher ups....oh well....so ridiculous. I guess it depends on who you know. Still, HUGE liability.  The hospital attorneys wouldn't go for that.   I have to just pretend it didn't happen.  

I think that I still like the show more than most here.  What really pushes my buttons is how Natalie is portrayed in such a good light when she's such a villain in my mind.  I mean...does she really have fans?  I don't have much of an issue with her as a doctor, but personally.....she sure does have a lot of free time after work. Doesn't she have a young child at home?  

I have a GREAT IDEA!  The DOCTORS AND STAFF need to be scheduled to go into REHAB, NURSING HOMES and HOSPICE CENTERS.  They need to watch those patients who are SUFFERING with dementia, ALS, Parkinson's and other debilitating conditions that ROB the patient and put them through DAYS of endless suffering.  They need to change diapers, linens, take care of feeding tubes, wipe tears and see the family members who stand by helpless.  These healthcare professionals are CLUELESS when it comes to why a patient might want to AVOID suffering.  They need to see it up close so they can relate and stop trying to push their own agenda on others when they have ZERO idea of what they are talking about.  April's personal story about her miscarriage to a man who has ALS was preposterous and inappropriate.  NOT the same thing at all. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 20
(edited)
9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

He didn't take a break from Erin to hit on and/or date his brother's love interest. This is ridiculous.  The way she said she was glad that Jay liked her haircut? Ugh.  On just last night's episode, he and Erin made some progress. Now we get this?

Hmm. I guess I don't see him as dating or hitting on Manning. They're friends. I'm presuming they've known each other since Will and Natalie were in med school. I did think that he and Lindsay seem to making some progress, but then I didn't really get why he needed to move away from her (because of his divorce from someone he never loved in the first place). I thought the whole Jay-moves-out plot seemed like a needless complication because the Lindsay-Halstead Angst-o-meter reading was low. So, there may be some inconsistency in the writing, but I'm not sure it's only cross-show.

I don't think the Robin character has been written very consistently either, come to that -- or fleshed out enough. We know she's angry at her father. (Is that the thing she and Connor have most in common?) She seemed to be coming around to building a relationship with Dr. Charles, but, really, all I've seen is that she's kind of sniping, a bit of a hardass, and, every time she has sexytimes with Connor, she loses her marbles.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I agree, calling in another psychiatrist would have been a viable alternative. There is always a subjective aspect to the profession of psychiatry/psychology, as evidenced by the range of opinions that the lawyers in criminal trials can present in court when the mental state/health of the defendant is in question. Another thing - given the unknowns about Robyn's case and the cause of her problems, why release her to surroundings (Connor's apartment) where she had a well documented psychiatric episode previously?

I never bought Sara Reese being assigned to evaluate Robyn. Given that her attending is Robyn's father, I can't believe that the assignment would be made given the possible conflicts of interest.

About the story of the patient with the subdural hematoma and ALS who refused surgery and insisted on Heparin - would someone afflicted with ALS really be a candidate for organ donation? Given the unknowns about the causes of the disease, I would think that there would be hesitation accepting the patients tissue for transplantation.

• Love 11
(edited)
26 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

April's personal story about her miscarriage to a man who has ALS was preposterous and inappropriate.  

The show has an over-reliance on letting the staff find echoes of their own problems in the patient of the week, and then trying to excuse their own unprofessional behaviour by unburdening themselves to the patient. No -- that's not going to happen. (Maybe it's the writers who need to spend some time in actual hospitals or long-term care facilities?)

Edited to add: I really hated how Connor used the conflict over Robin's care to continue his life-long battle with his own father. I thought Connor would have more self-awareness than that.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 8
(edited)

Yes, I think this show needs a lot of help with research. They seem to be some of the least informed people I know of.  Do they even have  medical experts involved? Some of it is just commonsense.  Oh, I forgot. That's not too common around that place.  

I would also think that if Robin was released to her boyfriend's care, there would be a schedule of hours, (Like Dr. Charles was inquiring about), where she would physically be staying and with whom.  When her boyfriend was at work, she would have been ALONE in the apt with a BALCONY.  I would think that staying in a place with a balcony would have been discouraged. At least until she was stable.  

Now, I'm beginning to wonder if it really is mental illness and not some parasite in her brain.  I wonder if they have the same symptoms.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Hmm. I guess I don't see him as dating or hitting on Manning. They're friends. I'm presuming they've known each other since Will and Natalie were in med school. I did think that he and Lindsay seem to making some progress, but then I didn't really get why he needed to move away from her (because of his divorce from someone he never loved in the first place). I thought the whole Jay-moves-out plot seemed like a needless complication because the Lindsay-Halstead Angst-o-meter reading was low. So, there may be some inconsistency in the writing, but I'm not sure it's only cross-show.

Whatever it is, it's something weird and I don't like it.  I guess I didn't realize the backstory - Will and Natalie have known each other for a long time, and not just since Will got a job at Chicago Med?  I'm still not sure that changes my opinion though; Natalie and Jay are clearly flirting to me but even if I'm reading it wrong, it's unnecessary, whatever it is.

I agree that I didn't understand why Jay needed to move out.  I don't really like how he's being written on either show right now.  It's inconsistent with previous seasons, but it's still inconsistent between the shows.  As another example, I don't get how on PD Jay says he hasn't talked to his father in years, but on Med they are telling each other dirty jokes.  Just all of it is bugging me...  I think I'll stick to Fire and PD and try to forget Med unless there is another major crossover (which is how I started watching this earlier this season).

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure there was a comment in the first season about how Will and Natalie met in medical school, and that the first time Jay crossed over and was in a scene with Natalie, he said something about how he hadn't seen her in a long time.

But Jay's relationship with his father as described on PD certainly doesn't match up cleanly with the way they interacted on Med. The show bibles are clearly in loose-leaf binders...

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I don't think the Robin character has been written very consistently either, come to that -- or fleshed out enough. We know she's angry at her father. (Is that the thing she and Connor have most in common?) She seemed to be coming around to building a relationship with Dr. Charles, but, really, all I've seen is that she's kind of sniping, a bit of a hardass, and, every time she has sexytimes with Connor, she loses her marbles.

I agree that Robin hasn't been flushed out as a character; basically she's a love interest for Connor and drama/angst for Dr. Charles. I don't think I really know who Robin is; she feels like she's there mostly as a plot device. Maybe if we had gotten to know her more as a character I'd care more about this storyline, but as it is I find the whole story a bit ridicules and annoying. 

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I'm pretty sure there was a comment in the first season about how Will and Natalie met in medical school, and that the first time Jay crossed over and was in a scene with Natalie, he said something about how he hadn't seen her in a long time.

But Jay's relationship with his father as described on PD certainly doesn't match up cleanly with the way they interacted on Med. The show bibles are clearly in loose-leaf binders...

Loose-leaf binders might still be generous.  Sometimes I feel like if there are any at all, they are just on Twitter...

• Love 1

The Robyn storyline is rather frustrating.  Rather than actually approaching it as dealing with a character's mental illness it is just another pissing match between Dr. Charles and Rhodes.  And how awfully convenient that she has these psychotic breaks outside of the hospital.  I wish they had given Robyn herself enough agency that when Rhodes came in on his white charger to remove her from the Pysch ward that  she would have stopped him and  said "You know what, thanks for getting me out of the involuntary hold, now I am going to voluntarily commit myself because I need help."  She could still be resentful of her father from taking that choice away from her the way Reese had been leading her toward and thankful to Rhodes for advocating for her.

The minute I saw April and Choi on yet another case together I figured the show was going there.  Didn't expect it quite yet.  But this is the third case this season by my count they've worked on together and there has been quite a bit of interaction between just them.  I don't mind it they are both pretty people and I like seeing pretty people getting it on.  But I find it interesting that most of their interactions outside of just the technically medical stuff has been a clash over ethics.  I hate the way all medical shows insist on having their doctors personal lives act as some moral barometer for their medical cases.  April's self insertion is just one more example of that.  But do I agree with both her and Choi in this case.  On April's part I did think Choi was maybe pushing the patient to make a choice.  I mean give the guy a minute to think it over.  OTOH, Once he did make the choice April should have acceded to the patient's wishes and done her job.  Curious to see how this pans out.

I immediately thought the step dad was the abuser.  I am glad the mother at least considered it a possibility.  Since it wasn't him, I am glad he never found out their suspicions.  I find that to be a rare case of restraint on this show.  That case didn't need the additional unnecessary drama.  It was sad enough.

Natalie hair cut was cute.

Bye Jeff.  I will miss you.  You were such fab eye candy and was wasted on Natalie.

Ugh.  Noah. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Sandman said:

My reaction to the final scene: "Oh, for the love of GOD!" Are these writers trying to be as irresponsible as possible? The treatment of Robin's illness makes Lucia di Lammermoor look progressive.

Yes.  And LOL.

This episode was a mess from the opening scene of Robin in a hospital gown as she's talking to Connor.  Psychiatric patients don't wear hospital gowns because there is no need for them to wear a hospital gown.  Other than taking blood or a urine specimen, their treatment is pills and talk.  Having them wear normal clothes gives a bit of dignity which they need to get better.

These days diagnosis is "first episode psychosis", not schizophreniform because it usually takes a while to see what the illness really is. 

I also hated the contrived drama between Charles Sr. and Connor.  As long as Robin was stabilized on her medication, and the show gave every indication that she was, there was no need to keep her hospitalized.  Either she wasn't stable, in which case her lawyer wouldn't have been able to get her out, or she was and they shouldn't have been keeping her for a month.  Put her in an outpatient day program.  People can get worse being in a hospital you know.

Charles Sr, shouldn't have been allowed to be near the case because it really looks like he was just a parent freaking out instead of behaving like a doctor, and Kwan should have had to medically justify his decision to keep Robin in the hospital involuntarily for a month instead of looking like he was doing it as a favour for a friend.

Given that when Robin came on she was angry at her father for abandoning her, and that he said as much to Sharon about his problematic relationship with Robin, it does look like he's trying to treat her like a child because he wasn't there for her then.

All the time April was going on about "We can save him", my daughter was shouting "No, you can't, unless you can find a cure for ALS in the next two months."  I have little patience for doctors or nurses who are so into their own stuff that they can't see what is best for the patient.  The man was going to die in the next few months and the only thing positive in his life was the thought that by donating his organs he can help other people live.  Give him that, for heaven's sake.

Choi deserves so much better than April.

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What really pushes my buttons is how Natalie is portrayed in such a good light when she's such a villain in my mind.  I mean...does she really have fans?  I don't have much of an issue with her as a doctor, but personally.....she sure does have a lot of free time after work. Doesn't she have a young child at home? 

Natalie remains the worst, although Noah and his sister are giving her a run for her money.   She said it wasn't encephalitis or meningitis but didn't it turn out to be something like that in the end?  I didn't quite catch that.

Natalie turned down Jeff who had loved her for year, and now she's all pissy that he left without saying goodbye to her.  She turned down Will but as soon as she's left by Jeff, she's off getting her hair cut so she can steal Nina's boyfriend because there's suddenly no one panting after her.  How can anyone ship her with any good guy?  She's like 12 years old and a mean girl.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 15
14 hours ago, spunky said:

Yes He left without telling you goodbye, you're irrelevant to him.

But limiting the "relevance" of someone to your life based on whether or not you are currently involved with that person seems a little cold. They were a couple, even if they are no longer together. Their breakup was civil, if not wholly mutual, and they're certainly colleagues now, and friendly, if not especially close. Jeff clearly wanted to say something to her, but let an opportunity pass. I get that Natalie might feel a little stung by his slipping away without any word to her. It's not like her world is crumbling. The biggest problem this show has is that characters so often seem to respond to setbacks and personal failings in ways that are not proportional (i.e., adult). I think Natalie's response here is relatively well-proportioned and reasonable. I don't think she's villainous -- just not very self-aware; but she's not alone in that. (Hi, uh, everyone else in the cast.)

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

She turned down Will but as soon as she's left by Jeff, she's off getting her haircut so she can steal Nina's boyfriend because there's suddenly no one panting after her. 

Wait ... what? I don't believe she got her hair cut to impress, beguile or steal Will. The fact that he reacted to her haircut is being used to impute a motive to Natalie which I don't see evidence for; it's not the first time Natalie has been blamed for immaturity on the part of the men in her life.

Edited by Sandman
Sorry for the double post.
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Wait ... what? I don't believe she got her hair cut to impress, beguile or steal Will. The fact that he reacted to her haircut is being used to impute a motive to Natalie which I don't see evidence for; it's not the first time Natalie has been blamed for immaturity on the part of the men in her life.

Yeah, agreed. Natalie is far from my favourite person, and April/Noah are the only ones nearing the level of dislike I have for her, but the hair cut wasn't about stealing Will away. It was about her, not about Will. Well, that and Torrey probably wanted a haircut. The reaction to her haircut by Will is on him and the stupid writers who want Will/Natalie to be this epic romance. 

• Love 5
(edited)

This is the timeline I saw:

• Will is interested in dating Natalie; she turns him down
  • Natalie dates Jeff but drops him when she hears he's been wanting to be with her for years
  • Natalie tells Will that if she were his girlfriend, she would be jealous of the special relationship they have with each other too
  • Jeff leaves without telling Natalie after choosing a residency as far away from her as he could get ( hurt by her rejection?)
  • Will invites Natalie to join them for drinks after work; Natalie says yes but she has to do something first
  • Natalie shows up with a new haircut

Other than how impressive it was that Natalie found a haircutting salon that was open that late and could fit her in, it feels suspicious to me that she got the new look right before she was meeting Will and his girlfriend for drinks the week after playing up the "special relationship" they share.

I will be surprised if Natalie doesn't end the season with Will

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Not a huge fan of Dr. Beautiful - I mean Natalie Manning - but I agree with this. I didn't see anything that wasn't compatible with her having to make a detour to Molly's to keep a stylist appointment she'd made in advance.

I thought Natalie got the haircut because two of the themes of this episode were new beginnings and innocence.  Jeff and at least one if not more of the patients (the Hawaiian guy, the patients who received the ALS guy's organs, Robin kinda?, etc.) all got "new starts" and Natalie's patient was young and innocent and being protected by her family.  It seemed to me like Natalie took that to heart and wanted a new start to regain some of her innocence; hence, a new look.  Now whether she did that for Will (or Jay) or not, I don't know.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Will, Nina, and Jay.

That's what I thought.  Okay, to me, based on my feelings and observations and with the background of Natalie practically telling Will that she was all into him, never mind Nina, I think it's A.  odd that Will would invite her.  I mean, is that considerate of Nina?  He has to work with her, but, invite her for drinks on the heels of the previous issue?  and B. Why did Natalie accept?  She knows how she acted with Will and he rejected her advances.  So, what is Natalie's agenda?  Why not just go home and let things alone?

Was the invite  for her to see Jay?  Jay can see her another time.  To me, it seemed like she wanted to be close to Will and impress him and if given the chance make him jealous by showing interest in Jay.  Just very poor behavior, imo.  I don't like women who go after men who already have girlfriends, especially, when you know the girlfriend and she has previously make it known that you are a problem.  It's like "Hey, watch me take your boyfriend from you. I know that you are jealous of me and I'm going to show you that I don't care and will take him anyway."   She is really is insufferable.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

... B. Why did Natalie accept?  She knows how she acted with Will and he rejected her advances.  So, what is Natalie's agenda?  Why not just go home and let things alone?

Was the invite  for her to see Jay?  Jay can see her another time.  To me, it seemed like she wanted to be close to Will and impress him and if given the chance make him jealous by showing interest in Jay.  Just very poor behavior, imo.  ...

This is why I think it was a poor attempt at a double date, and why I made my original comment about how I don't like how this show is treating Jay.  Either she wanted to see Jay, or she's trying to "play it cool" with Will (and it's not working).  

I haven't watched this show from the beginning, so I don't entirely hate her like everyone else does, but I can see where y'all are coming from. She's... odd.  And stay away from Jay!

Edited by FnkyChkn34

I don't really have an issue with Natalie as a doctor, but, her romance attempts are off base, imo.  Hey, I didn't even take issue when she went off on the toddler's mom who had scurvy.  lol  I just realized that this actress was on one season of Army Wives, which, I used to watch regularly. 

• Love 1

I think they may have cribbed the ALS storyline from this guy.  If you're feeling fragile, I would avoid clicking the link; I teared up reading it.  But yes, an ALS patient can donate organs.  

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Psychiatric patients don't wear hospital gowns because there is no need for them to wear a hospital gown.  Other than taking blood or a urine specimen, their treatment is pills and talk.  Having them wear normal clothes gives a bit of dignity which they need to get better.

That may depend on the hospital.  In every one I've worked at, patients spend at least the first 24 hours in gowns and scrub pants.  

So much about this story rubs me the wrong way.  

• Love 1

Where does Reese get off sharing private med info with Rhodes. He isn't her husband ( even if he were his rights here are questionable)...isn't her attending....what the heck?!?  Also....writers....way to telegraph the orthodontist role...."I just got braces" as soon as she was admitted to the ER. April and Noah....please go away....far, far away. Sharonville and Keoni interaction....two thumbs up. The regular writers must have been off the day that scene was written.

• Love 3

Good point about Reese and her sharing medical info with Rhodes.  Maybe, she signed a release or something.  ???  The people in this hospital seem to really play it loose.  

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that I still like the show more than most here.  What really pushes my buttons is how Natalie is portrayed in such a good light when she's such a villain in my mind.  I mean...does she really have fans?  I don't have much of an issue with her as a doctor, but personally.....she sure does have a lot of free time after work. Doesn't she have a young child at home?

I think this is right on the money. She is the villain of this show. She is a terrible doctor who makes mistakes left and right and is always having a conflict with her patients. Then she was banging a medical student which I thought was against the rules. You would think she would be more worried about her infant child than hanging out and going to the game. What's up with that?

The whole thing with the lawyer seems like a big bag of bullshit. I get it that Conner has pull because of his family. That was what Dr. Charles was talking about. I don't see how she was released after the scene in her apartment. It just doesn't seem credible. Sorry show. Back to the drawing board.

Oh and one more hair related thing. Will's hair is just too distracting for me. Is that a wig? A toup? A dead muskrat that died after being dyed red? What is up with that? I mean I tell my wife all the time while we are watching "Is that a wig or what?"

It is just extremely unnatural. Weird. Distracting. If that is his real hair I will be very very surprised.

• Love 5

Oh, the night that Jay invited her to the game, she said the child was staying with someone else, like grandparent, aunt...I can't recall, but, she gave that excuse.  I can't recall how old her child is, but, most people that I know who get off work are bound to see the child PRONTO.  Afterwork events are planned and not done spur of the moment and often.  Especially, single parents. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Why isn't Will the villain? He's the one who made a play for Natalie, and was turned down; he's the one who's currently attached and more emotionally invested in his relationship with Natalie than that with "poor" Nina -- who's not exactly innocent herself; Will acted like an immature schoolboy towards Natalie during her relationship with Dr. Fire; and Red Halstead's at least as willing as Judgy McManningpants to substitute his own judgment and feelings for the wishes and decisions of his patients. Manning is no better than her colleagues in that way, but certainly no worse, in my view.

I'm convinced that Will's red mop is Nick Gehlfuss's real head of hair -- it seems just odd enough to me to be real.

Edited by Sandman

Two things about the balcony scene.  It was a sliding door, which wouldn't likely be blocked by a broom that long.  The reason is that it would fit in only at an angle, and thus have no strength.  Secondly, would a balcony door lock from the outside?  I can't see any reason that it would. 

• Love 3

Was there ever a conversation in an episode about Robin having a complete physical workup?  I still wonder if she is suffering from some type of brain parasite that is making her see things.  She is an infectious medicine doctor (right?) so I'm sure she's been around highly infectious things.  Some kind of tapeworm?  Aren't those the usual 'go to' parasite when someone is acting oddly and they are pretty sure that it isn't psychological?

I know that medical personnel are supposed to try to keep the patient alive when possible, but I was definitely on the side of the ALS patient.  From what I've read about the disease, I would prefer to go much quicker (and help a lot of people) than to have more months of slowly suffering from the symptoms that make you immobile, take away your speech, your ability to breath on your own, etc. (while still being aware of what is happening to you).  

I didn't mind Noah getting a position at the hospital, because I predict that he's going to continue to be a goof-off, poor excuse for a doctor--which might make for some interesting storylines (or he'll have some type of epiphany and do a complete turnaround and become a good doctor, which would be boring).  

• Love 2

Good for Noah... I like that hes a bit of a goofball.. I mean almost every other doctor on the show has been a bit of an arrogant know it all who gets their comeuppance sooner or later.... Called the move toward choi and April.. Dude has a type and I am not mad at him at all... Called robin not being totally OK...connor was wrong (see previous statement about arrogant doctors)  looking fwd to the finale.. Where I'm sure loveable loser Noah will yet again swing (and probably miss)  with Reese.. Unfortunately it also means William will prob do somn stupid with Manning either in the hospital or out of it... Or more likely both 

• Love 1