Type keyword(s) to search

Doc Martin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Agree, absolutely can't stand the cop.  Ridiculous, completely out of step with the rest of the characters who actually are realistic albeit quirky.  I stopped watching last season because he had so much screen time.  Weren't there any consequences for him being totally responsible fro some guy almost losing his arm?

Otherwise, 2 episodes in I'm liking this.  Glad they didn't draw out the fake drama of whether Martin would lose his job (it's the whole show!), don't know why they didn't recommend desensitization for him, or other actions directed to his phobia, not his superior medicals kills. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

Agree, absolutely can't stand the cop.  Ridiculous, completely out of step with the rest of the characters who actually are realistic albeit quirky.  I stopped watching last season because he had so much screen time.  Weren't there any consequences for him being totally responsible fro some guy almost losing his arm?

Otherwise, 2 episodes in I'm liking this.  Glad they didn't draw out the fake drama of whether Martin would lose his job (it's the whole show!), don't know why they didn't recommend desensitization for him, or other actions directed to his phobia, not his superior medicals kills. 

Joe is straight out comic relief.  He's beyond British dry wit, he's almost slapstick and that's his purpose.  All the other characters have their quirks; some of them subtle, others more overt.  Joe is in his own category, much like Mark (the previous PC) who had his inferiority issues.  Joe exploded as a clutz in episode 1 of last season, I believe, with that Keystone Kops farce of a wedding.  I can tolerate Joe, because he's just weird.  Weird is okay.  Bert, now, is not weird.  Bert is a deliberate con man who barely has the morals to not steal from his own son.  He's what we call Trash.  All the other characters have their idiosyncrasies that are part of their charm.  Mrs. Tishell and her focus on the Doc to the point of obsessiveness and the funny part about it, is that everyone knows she's like that. 

I don't know why some people dislike Louisa.  I'm okay with her.  It's been a struggle for her, dealing with Martin yet she pushes on and I admire her character for that. She has somewhat made concessions to stay with Martin, who she knows lacks social skills, and she tries her best to coarse correct situations, as they come up.  Unfortunately, this season, she has to deal with James Henry and his apparent lack of a desire to interact.  Much to her concern, she feels, James Henry has genetically or socially acquired this lack through Martin.  The 2nd episode introduced the twist that perhaps the fault lies with Louisa herself (playing with imaginary friends & I have yet to see Louisa playing with James Henry).  This season should be interesting.  I feel bad for Morwenna, because Al seems to just fall along with whatever.  He let Joe twist his comment into a proposal when that wasn't what he meant.  Right there, you turn around and tell Joe to just shut up!  Turn back to Morwenna and say, "I did not intend to propose at this time, I don't feel like I'm ready, but when I am, you'll be the first to know!"  Just deal with it, don't insult the sweet girl with a sham proposal.

Oh, sorry, I went off on a tangent, what I originally wanted to say was with regard to the "desensitization for him, or other actions directed to his phobia" idea.  I think, within the scope of their jurisdiction or protocols, the Board can only recommend solutions within their guidelines without having Martin go to a shrink and tarnish his reputation.  He already had that bad experience with the Marriage Counselor. So, the Board recommended classes that "approximate" areas where Martin is lacking and should pay more attention to if he wants to stay certified. Martin is aware of his phobias and lack of social skills, he was just brought up like that and doesn't seem to care.  Like the patient said, "We all know he's a tosser, but at least he tells it to you straight".

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I don't know why some people dislike Louisa.  I'm okay with her.  It's been a struggle for her, dealing with Martin yet she pushes on and I admire her character for that. She has somewhat made concessions to stay with Martin, who she knows lacks social skills, and she tries her best to coarse correct situations, as they come up.

From the get go, she's known how he is and how he deals with things. Why is it her place to make him into what she wants? I don't really see any love between them. She is just about controlling things, like with the school situation. She wants things and people how she wants them and acts like there's something wrong if it's not her way.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

From the get go, she's known how he is and how he deals with things. Why is it her place to make him into what she wants? I don't really see any love between them. She is just about controlling things, like with the school situation. She wants things and people how she wants them and acts like there's something wrong if it's not her way.

Luisa feels its her place because she and Martin have established an unworded pact.  I believe that happened when Louisa's best friend (the violinist) made a visit. During that time, Louisa & Martin were arguing about his lack of social skills, particularly being nice to people. Martin tried, in his typical Doc Martin way and it was a disaster.  Louisa hated it and she sort of learned that the Martin she has, is probably the best she's going to get.  Now, she accepts Martin but still wishes he would change, but here's the point.: Martin's success as a town physician or any physician anywhere is dependant on his acquiring an appropriate behavior expected for a calming, soothing, local physician. It's not just Luisa's wish, it's her wish for the man she loves and her family.  It's the wish of the town that went out of their way to accept a general practitioner who is blunt to a fault and vomits at the sight of blood.  Martin is the best doctor that town will ever have, but it would be nice if he weren't such a tosser!

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3

Episode 4 was hilarious.  The timing for each character was spot on.  The best part was the return of Mark and his interaction with Louisa (the one that got away) and Joe Penhale.  Two idiots trying to work a case.  Each trying to outdo the other.  The blind leading the blind.  I laughed when Al, after Ruth learned that the pub owner, Ken, was selling the pub, said' "Ruth" and immediately she said, "No!".  Al said I didn't even get to say anything and Ruth deadpanned, "I could see where this was going".  Ha!

The hilarity of the Assessor for Martin's GMC review bungling his own test subjects Real illness. Mrs. Tishell, upon hearing of the Doc's review rushed over and snatched the questions out of the reviewers hand and revealed the contents to her beloved Doc.  Classic Mrs. Tishell.  Oh, this episode was so much fun and it will be a sad day when the finale airs and the franchise closes up shop.

Oh, I had to look up the reference to the title of the previous episode (#3). It was titled:

"S.W.A.L.K." which is the acronym for the saying, "Sealed With A Loving Kiss"

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Did Bert try to grab Ken's hand to sign Ken's name to the contract while he lay dead on the bed?

Yep.  Can't stand Bert, but I like Al.  Bert would probably be in jail most of the time if it wasn't for his son supporting him.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, Lao said:

Just started watching Doc Martin on Acorn TV but I can seem to watch Season 6. It shows it is not available. Where can I watch season 6?

@Lao. Have you tried watching through the Acorn TV app instead of the web site? Through the app, Series 6 airs just fine.  I just looked at series 6 episode 2 and I had no problem.

Is this really the final season?  I wish it would continue, even though I have to wait two years for each season. I really look forward to it.  Martin Clunes is just perfect in his role.  He's such a nice person that it must be difficult to keep from smiling. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

It's been a while since I watched past seasons, but how is Mrs. Tishell not in jail or something? Didn't she kidnap James when he was a baby? And that damn neck brace kills me. LOL

I think Mrs. Tish had to undergo court ordered psychiatric counseling. The counseling taught her to snap the rubber band on her wrist if she had disturbing thoughts. Obviously, it didnt help.

• Love 2

This latest episode was actually very interesting. All the characters had a bit of screen time.  So, we got to hear Mrs. Tishell's family lineage, and even saw photos of her mom, grandma, and great grandma, and met her niece. We watched in horror as Bethany "Single White Female"-ed Louisa. As the Doc fainted with a thud at the sight of blood.

Bert got his just desserts from his new boss, whose name I don't remember, by being trapped in the storage underneath the pub with her overnight. Almost made me feel sorry for Bert....Almost.

Louisa seems to be showing frustration with Martin again, will these two ever be truly happy?

Some parts were funny (ex. The near blind vet in the surgery, Morwenna's snide comments, Joe Penhale trying to one-up his ex-fiancee, Buddy growling at the SWF of Louisa).  I enjoyed this episode.

• Love 1
On 10/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, DonnaMae said:

Martin Clunes is just perfect in his role.  He's such a nice person that it must be difficult to keep from smiling. 

@DonnaMae I highly recommend watching Martin Clunes in the brilliant Rom-Com series "William and Mary".  Mr. Clunes has been in a lot of movies & series, but "W&M" is one of my favs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I think Mrs. Tish had to undergo court ordered psychiatric counseling. The counseling taught her to snap the rubber band on her wrist if she had disturbing thoughts. Obviously, it didnt help.

Every time she and Louisa share a scene this season Louisa gives her serious side eye.  The first time I actually had to think about why.   

• Love 1
On 11/8/2019 at 3:13 AM, Jacks-Son said:

@DonnaMae I highly recommend watching Martin Clunes in the brilliant Rom-Com series "William and Mary".  Mr. Clunes has been in a lot of movies & series, but "W&M" is one of my favs.

Thank you. I just watched the first show (available with Amazon Prime) and loved it. 

• Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, DonnaMae said:

I wish there was someplace I could check this.

Season 9 has eleven episodes.  So your question becomes, "Were you watching season 9?"  This isn't a foolish question because some of us live with PBS stations, etc. that don't broadcast shows on their prime showing time.

Spoiler

This indicates more shows are coming maybe at two year intervals and it gives a lot of story points that for me are spoilers, which I read because I can't stop once I start.

Serious spoilers, don't read if you are a year or so behind the broadcast schedule.  Really, hold back !

• Love 1

I watch it on Acorn TV.  There are 11 episodes in Series 9?  So the episode where Morwenna and Joe married is episode 8?

Update:  I just checked with IMDb, and Doc Martin has only 8 episodes in Series 9, so I did just see the last episodes of the series.  

Edited by DonnaMae
On 10/5/2019 at 6:25 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I really can't stand Louisa. Or Bert. Or the stupid as fuck cop. I watch for Doc and the dog.

I watch this show for the always irritated and blunt Doc Martin. I'm okay with Louisa, although I don't understand her attraction to Martin. I'm also okay with Ruth and Morwenna. And the dog who obeys commands for two seconds, then disobeys them. Mrs. Tishell, Bert, Penhale, and Al do nothing for me.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, DonnaMae said:

I like everyone except Bert and Penhale.  Both characters are so annoying.  

I'm so with you on Bert. If I could FF on his scenes I would. He's just so unpleasant. Penhale is a buffoon but doesn't bother me as much.

• Love 1

I've disliked Bert from the beginning.  He reminds me of the stereotypical wannabe entrepreneur always coming up with losing schemes that make his situation worse.  However, when he tried to steal the tavern by using the dead tavern-owner's hand and forging his signature on a contract while the man lay dead before him, was just too much for me. He has tipped over into the "If he died, I wouldn't mourn his loss" zone.  I loathe cheats and Bert is one of the most despicable cheats.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Zone rather than Line
  • Love 2

I think Bert is necessary to create plot issues. He never does anything malicious or evil. I did think the signature thing was a bit low for him, but I also liked how Caitlin summed him up when they were in the basement together.

Penhale cracks me up. I look forward to his scenes. His timing is so good, how he says something dumb and then follows it up with something even dumber. Mind you, I wouldn't want to hang with the guy, but then no one else on the show seems to want to, either.

• Love 2

I am clearly way behind (since this forum started 6 years ago) but just discovered Doc Martin on our PBS station which is showing season 7.  Since our numbering might be different from the original series, it's the one where Martin and Louisa are getting counseling.

I have been to my library and checked out the entire series - what a great way to binge in the snowy season.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.  Bert proposed to Jen, the fill-in pharmacist at the end of one season.  What happened to her?  I know she's in Call the Midwife (Violet Buckled, married to Fred the convent's handyman) so I wonder if she left for that. But I cannot recall anything in the story to explain it.

11 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I think at the beginning of the next season, she had changed her mind and left the area, leaving him broken-hearted, but I can't remember the details on why she left.

Thanks, guess I will have to get that one out of the library again to find out.  I must have missed that part somehow.

5 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I can't imagine any sane woman wanting to marry Bert. 🙄

Maybe because there aren't many men to choose from? Not sure where you are at in the series, but another woman does set her cap for him later on, but he's not too interested.

Conversely, I think Al is a really good guy, and it takes him forever to find a girl to take him seriously.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

I've seen them all, hoping for another season.  I like Al, just not his father.

I like Al as well - he seems like a truly good-hearted young man. 

On the Season 8 set of DVD's there is one whole disk of extras and they said there are more seasons to come.  Whether or not PBS picks them up remains the question.  So far they haven't shown Season 8 in the US that I know of.  I am 3/4 of the way through watching it on DVDs from the library right now.

Yes, I watch on Acorn. Lots of other great shows there, too. I signed up for it just for Doc Martin.

I remember feeling sad for Al when none of the young women in the town were interested in him. Just because he had always been around, they took him for granted and dismissed him. 

I've always thought that Martin's main appeal to Louisa is that he is actually smarter than she is. As a teacher and principal, she saw herself as one of the smartest people in the village, but he can stand up to her in that regard. He is the only one who tells her when she  is wrong, and while she doesn't like it, on some level I think she appreciates it.

• Love 1

I liked her, too. Morwenna is great, but she's almost too nice. The first one was too annoying, but the second one was good. I especially liked the time when Martin was leaving for London and his stuff was being moved out of the practice. He told her to do something and she said, "Where's your desk?" and he said outside. Then she said, "Where's my desk?" and he said in here. "That's right," she told him, letting him know he couldn't tell her what to do since he was leaving and practically gone. She stood up to him, but she wasn't overly rude, like the first one. But neither of the first two appreciated Al.

• Love 1

Ahh, one of my favorite topics: The Doc's Receptionists.  His 1st receptionist, I believe, was Paula?  Played by Lucy Punch, the one who "Came all the way from Delabole".  She was the epitome of laziness and usually contrived to have others (most notably Martin) to do her work for her.  Then there was Pauline, I think, played by Katherine Parkinson.  Pauline was like the new commercials, she was "Just okay". She had the gambling addiction and the bossy mom. Then, I believe, Morwenna arrived and she was like a breath of fresh air into the Doc's office.  Where the other receptionists were sort of the butt of the jokes, Morwenna took the role and made it her own.  She persevered and learned how to draw blood to help the Doc with his blood-injury-needle phobia.  She even tried to get certified as an EMT.  So, Morwenna has fit in. Her comic cues are on point.  I always check out her facial expressions when she's dealing with Martin and others.  Her expressions are subtle yet always funny.  She's a keeper and Al is lucky to have her in his life.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

His 1st receptionist, I believe, was Paula?

Elaine.  What a ditz.

Does anyone know why Auntie Joan left?  I love Aunt Ruth but liked Auntie Joan as well.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Elaine.  What a ditz.

Oops, you are correct, Lucy Punch was indeed the ditz Elaine.  I think she went on to appear in other UK shows.  Then I mixed up Paula with Pauline, played by Katherine Parkinson, who, I believe went on to co-star in "The IT Crowd"?  One of the things I like about Morwenna is she shares Louisa's skeptical acceptance of Mrs. Tishell.  The two always give Mrs. T great side-eye and under-the-breath comments.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Does anyone know why Auntie Joan left?  I love Aunt Ruth but liked Auntie Joan as well.

I've read that she's stated in interviews that she doesn't like to stay on a show for more than four seasons, likes to move on to keep things fresh. If there is more to the story, I've never heard a peep about it. She's a successful actress and has been in other shows since, I believe.

I like Aunt Ruth a lot, and I would have liked to see some scenes with the two of them and Martin, but I guess that's not meant to be.

Edited by ForReal
Added a thought.
  • Love 1

Ruth and Martin are so much alike. I wonder if Joan was Martin's mother's sister rather than his father's sister. I know she had a different last name that she had also been married.

Of course Martin's mother was a real piece of work. Talk about dysfunctional families!

(edited)

I kind of like the slight twist the show made by revealing that despite Martin's dysfunctional childhood, Louisa may have also contributed some to James Henry's  anti--social behavior.  He may be a combination of both Martin's social awkwardness and Louisa's Invisible childhood friend history. 

Edited by Jacks-Son
Getting the kid's name right.
  • Love 2