Type keyword(s) to search

The Wendy Williams Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just watched the first show with the panel of 'hot talkers'. It was Heather McDonald (who I know nothing about other than seeing her on the show a couple times), Don Lemon, Judge Faith Evans and some other woman whose name I didn't catch. They did all of the usual Wendy segments - Hot Topics, Trendy at Wendy, a Golden Globes fashion spotlight with Robert Verdi, and Don went into the audience to do Sound Off. It was okay - same segments, different faces.

If Wendy comes back and say something like she won't dignify what the press has been saying about her situation, I think some people may stop watching because they're disgusted with Wendy being a hypocrite.  Others will stay because they're interested in seeing if the decline of WW continues and they want a front row seat. I will be in the latter.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 6

Too scripted. The panel needs to be more natural and opinionated. I like Judge Faith but she barely looked up cuz she was just reading her prepared notes. The comedian and the other woman next to Don could be replaced.  

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of missed our favorite train wreck. I mean, if the choice is a mediocre panel discussing Lindsay Lohan like news anchors or Wendy going off the rails.... well...  

• Love 7

Today's absence made me a little worried for Wendy. I'm fairly certain it is not about her shoulder. She worked for the 2 or 3 days when it was probably the most painful. I take opioids for a chronic pain condition and they do not make you slur your words when taken as prescribed.  They might make you a little sleepy initially. Addicts slur when they take massive doses. Some addicts harm themselves to get drugs. Just sayin.

Edited by Morgalisa
spelling
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Too scripted. The panel needs to be more natural and opinionated. I like Judge Faith but she barely looked up cuz she was just reading her prepared notes. The comedian and the other woman next to Don could be replaced.  

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of missed our favorite train wreck. I mean, if the choice is a mediocre panel discussing Lindsay Lohan like news anchors or Wendy going off the rails.... well...  

Agreed. I don't mind Don or Faith (who I didn't recognize until Don introduced her), but I've never cared for Heather McDonald since her Chelsea Lately days and the fourth woman was a non-factor. If E would let Nina Parker catch the first thing smoking to NYC that would certainly liven up that panel.

• Love 3

I enjoyed today's show. It was a good first effort. The contributor whose name was forgotten or unknown to previous posters is Elizabeth Wagmeister who is on Page Six TV. I find her to be credible, professional, and informative.  Maybe Norman should be included on the panel because he seems to be the source of all Wendy's info. I can watch this for a week, no problem.

• Love 7

I LOL’ed when Heather was talking about what people would say if she hosted and Don didn’t hear and said, “who’s the skinny girl?”  

Don was a good moderator, and Heather was okay...page 6 lady was meh and the judge was boring and I don’t think she, as a judge, should have been saying that R. Kelly was guilty (even if he probably is).

It’ll be a boring week. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, paisley said:

I enjoyed today's show. It was a good first effort. The contributor whose name was forgotten or unknown to previous posters is Elizabeth Wagmeister who is on Page Six TV. I find her to be credible, professional, and informative.  Maybe Norman should be included on the panel because he seems to be the source of all Wendy's info. I can watch this for a week, no problem.

I agree that Norman would have been a smart choice to have on the panel. 

• Love 4

Holy moley, my ears felt like they were bleeding from the decibel level of Ali Wentworth and Mario Cantone trying to outshout each other during HT.  And too much talking over and interrupting.  The hosts were more lively than yesterday and some of the stories were interesting but all too hyper and Ali was rather snippy to the other guest hosts.   Woof, she was tiring.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s all going to come to light. They’ve been able to keep it all quiet for ages, but there’s just been too much interest in what’s going on as she’s sliding deeper and deeper into her lies. 

I think she has been in rehab. I don't know if I can bear listening to her lies on Monday. No doubt there will be crying involved.  I wonder if she will be standing in front of the mirror this weekend practicing her excuses with BK standing next to her coaching her on exactly how he wants this to go down. I hope one of you awesome posters here has a good recap! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Holy moley, my ears felt like they were bleeding from the decibel level of Ali Wentworth and Mario Cantone

Yeah, wow. Calm the fuck down, people! But as you said, at least they were more lively. I liked this comedian a LOT better. He was actually witty instead of reciting prepared jokes. Keep him, have Don as moderator, keep Mario (cuz he will calm down without Ali), and maybe rotate the other spot with those Inside Scoop people and/or include Norman --and I think we might have something! It was nice that they gave Suzanne a shout out! 

• Love 8

Would anyone watch an afternoon hot topics/interview show with a revolving panel of contributors (including Norman)?

Today's show was noisier than yesterday but I liked the comedian (I think his name was Finess). He did a good job with the interview segment. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, patty1h said:

Holy moley, my ears felt like they were bleeding from the decibel level of Ali Wentworth and Mario Cantone trying to outshout each other during HT.  And too much talking over and interrupting.  The hosts were more lively than yesterday and some of the stories were interesting but all too hyper and Ali was rather snippy to the other guest hosts.   Woof, she was tiring.

Thank you.. I've never been a huge Ali fan, but she was downright rude today.  Mario always kind of irks, and the other lady didn't really seem informed enough for me.  I feel like Finesse did a fabulous job and was chill and relaxed in this format.  Plus he looked good, to be shallow...

• Love 2

If WW can’t continue with her show, they need to cancel it completely.   We don’t need another daytime talk show with a panel of whatever all shouting over each other.  It’s obnoxious.  

As for today’s show, I’ve never heard of any of them, except for Ashley Banfield, who I can’t stand.  Sharon Carpenter——-who the heck is she, other than trying too hard to look like Meghan Markle.  Don’t know the comedian or the ginger-haired woman.  

Where is Jerry O’Connel?   I’ve read he’s been waiting in the wings to take over the show. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

If WW can’t continue with her show, they need to cancel it completely.   We don’t need another daytime talk show with a panel of whatever all shouting over each other.  It’s obnoxious.  

As for today’s show, I’ve never heard of any of them, except for Ashley Banfield, who I can’t stand.  Sharon Carpenter——-who the heck is she, other than trying too hard to look like Meghan Markle.  Don’t know the comedian or the ginger-haired woman.  

Where is Jerry O’Connel?   I’ve read he’s been waiting in the wings to take over the show. 

I knew of Ashley,  the red head who's usually blonde was Carrie Keagan (she has always annoyed me for some reason) and Gary Owen who I've seen on different talk shows over the years. I had no idea who Sharon Carpenter was either. I wish they could have had a panel of people who were going to be there all week instead of different people everyday. Maybe this was how Wendy was more agreeable to the new shows without her. I could see her thinking if different people hosted each day the viewers wouldn't have the chance to connect with any of them and prefer anyone else over her. She was pissed when people enjoyed Jerry O'Connell more then her since he came prepared even though he really could have used half a Ritalin before coming on each day.

I didn't watch Monday or Tuesday and happened to tune in today while looking for something to watch while some food was cooking. There's not much to choose from  in regards to TV viewing at 4pm ct here.

• Love 6

Today's panel was blah. The only one I've REALLY liked so far was Finess. I agree no way was Wendy letting Jerry or another fill in do it who we might like better. I'm wondering if Wendy comes back, all properly medicated or whatever, but still just "eh, who cares" and getting everything wrong, will anyone watch? I mean, all she has had going for her lately is that it is like watching a car crash. 

Also, WHERE IS NORMAN?? 

• Love 7

I wasn't familiar with anyone on the panel today and they weren't impressive. But maybe that's the point.

Jerry O'Connell has a show called Carter so he might not be available to guest host.

Where's Norman?

• Love 4

I'm in NY and watch the show in real-time live -- I plan to have my butt planted in front of the TV at 10AM on Monday.   Would it be tacky to do a live recap as the show airs?  I mean, sit here watching the show and describe everything that goes on.  I know we all watch in different time zones, so maybe you all would rather wait to know the details on your own schedules...   

EDIT:  Nevermind - she's taking another break.   But when she does return, Imma be ready.

Side note:  One of the guest hosts today was Michael Yo, gossip dude.  I noticed that he had one of those earpieces that sportscasters use a lot, with the coiled wire that goes around the back of your neck.  I've never seen any other host use one of those, even Wendy.   Wonder why he was using that.  If he was the lead host today, maybe I could see the need but Carson Kressley mentioned that he was the moderator of today's show.  Wonder what he was being told...

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 7

I enjoyed Wednesday hosts. I still miss The Chew,  so seeing Carla Hall was nice. They weren't over the top but I enjoy the easiness they had. 

Allie Wentworth and Mario Cantone were too much earlier in the week. I usually love Mario but paired with Allie , oof.

9 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I'm in NY and watch the show in real-time live -- I plan to have my butt planted in front of the TV at 10AM on Monday.   Would it be tacky to do a live recap as the show airs?  I mean, sit here watching the show and describe everything that goes on.  I know we all watch in different time zones, so maybe you all would rather wait to know the details on your own schedules...

Not tacky at all, please do. I won't be able to watch till much later. I would love to hear about every awkward moment 😁

• Love 7
On 1/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, Jaded said:

Maybe this was how Wendy was more agreeable to the new shows without her. I could see her thinking if different people hosted each day the viewers wouldn't have the chance to connect with any of them and prefer anyone else over her. She was pissed when people enjoyed Jerry O'Connell more then her since he came prepared even though he really could have used half a Ritalin before coming on each day.

I couldn’t agree more. I’m sure that’s exactly why there were so many people filling in every day. I knew some but not all. I liked the way they kept it moving forward. 

No mouth noises, QTips, tea with cough drops and they didn’t stop to apply Gold Bond lotion. 

• Love 9

Dang, I was warming up my fingers to do a live commentary and it is being pushed back again.   

I read that Variety article and they say it's complications from surgery on her shoulder AND Graves disease that's keeping her away from the show.  I can't be the only one who remembers Wendy coming back after being out with "something" (pretty sure this was before the shoulder fracture revelation) and telling us all "my health is fine" to shut up the rumors.    **Pretty sure her 'my health is fine' speech was the day she explained why she has been sitting during the whole show.  Healthy, huh?!?  So she was lying about her health back then or she's using her health as a smokescreen to cover what's happening in Hunterville.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Dang, I was warming up my fingers to do a live commentary and it is being pushed back again.  

And I was all ready to read it...

Looks like we are in for more of these mixed panel shows or (forbid) reruns. At least the crew is working and getting paid. 

Dang. 

Shoulder surgery my ass. Rehab? 50/50. Complications for Graves? 60/40 It can produce brittle bones so maybe she isn’t healing well. She might be on strike until Big Kevin gives her something she wants. Hmmm

• Love 7

I keep coming back here for updates, and you guys don't disappoint, thanks!

Definitely not buying the ever-changing stories re her absence. I guess they now have to throw in the Graves Disease because being gone this long for the shoulder hairline fracture makes no sense at all. Not that I'm downplaying any actual physical issues, but Wendy's emotional health has seemed in decline for quite some time now.

Pretending everything is fine when it's all crashing around you has to take its toll. She of all people should know that celeb secrets are hard to keep hidden. Amazing that she's so thin-skinned, considering. Anyway, my money's on nervous breakdown/drug issues. 

Not watching the revolving door of hosts, so I guess I'll keep deleting from my dvr until something else happens. I wish they would bring back Jerry, he was such a hoot! But I agree he was too good for Wendy's liking. And I thought she was very ungracious to him last time. 

• Love 6

New episodes were supposed to resume on Jan. 14, but with a panel of “Hot Talkers” serving in the host’s absence.

Now, the show will instead air repeat episodes the week of Jan. 21 and will produce original episodes with a variety of hosts starting the week of Jan. 28, according to the official statement.

I hope they way this was worded on People.com means they are bringing in actual guest hosts next time and forgoing the Hot Talk Panel. Many of the people they had on this week would probably be better going solo. (Carson, Finess, Micheal Yo, Mario.. um, I can't remember any of the ladies!)

It boggles my mind that the paps or gossip sites can't get any definitive scoop on what is actually going on! If she is in a medical hospital, or even a rehab, or has even been in a car or out of the house, you would think they could find her. Not that I want them to stalk her, it's just weird. 

• Love 5

My bet is on rehab. She has an addictive personality IMO. And Dr. Drew always told her he thought it was impossible to kick a severe cocaine addiction like she had without rehab. Maybe she went to St John's where they took Lil Kev.

That slurring was disturbing. Either drugs or a stroke. I truly hope she is able to come back.

Jerry has his own show on Bravo.

Wendy and Big Kev have left a trail of enemies going back to radio. Andy Cohen said she could be extremely successful if it were not for Big Kev. Evidently he is a problem with staff, guests and anyone else.

• Love 6

The statement on Twitter about Wendy's prolonged absence said something about requesting that people "respect the privacy of the Hunter family."  Yes, because Wendy has always been so respectful of others' privacy, particularly in the incident mentioned upthread about blabbing about a cancer diagnosis for no reason.  I suppose that she can hope people will be nice and just ignore her hypocrisy, but good luck with that one.

• Love 23
On 12/13/2018 at 1:15 PM, Talky Tina said:

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this but has Wendy mentioned their dog lately?   I

Yeah.. The dog. I think she still has him because she mentioned the dog in an interview she did a couple months (?) ago with some rapper. Can't recall who it  was but I remember her mentioning the dog like she still had him. 

When she returns it will be 3 minutes of the studio audience clapping, hootin' and hollering about "we love u wendy, welcome back, we missed you".

Then Wendy will say " Thank you so much for your support and well wishes. I'm back 100 % and ready to give you my very best . So it's time for HOT TOPICS. 

• Love 4

Time to bring down the gavel and cancel the show outright.   We’ve all thought that there have been emotional issues, and maybe even drug issues, and those kinds of things don’t go away quickly.  Doing the show adds to the pressure that she can’t handle.  

• Love 8

If Joan Rivers was still alive she could take over this genre of talk shows in the" nothing else to watch this time of the day" arena.

Joan could snark like no other. So Wendy is not some unique brand. Someone on YouTube commented on replacing WW with Nene Leakes. I'm down with that. Nene would be a refreshing take on gossip with a much better perspective on "throwin' shade".

I'm not anxiously awaiting WW return. Don't care. She's a has been for me. But I'm probably the minority.

• Love 3

No, you’re not in the minority of feeling WW is past her due date.  But Nene?  No freaking way.  I can’t stand her and stopped watching Fashion Police when she and Margaret Cho were on.  Hell, I couldn’t stand Guilanna Rancid either.  But Nene is just too loud and obnoxiously verbose for my tastes. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

No, you’re not in the minority of feeling WW is past her due date.  But Nene?  No freaking way.  I can’t stand her and stopped watching Fashion Police when she and Margaret Cho were on.  Hell, I couldn’t stand Guilanna Rancid either.  But Nene is just too loud and obnoxiously verbose for my tastes. 

I get it. But I think there are lots of other celebs who could do what WW does (sarcasm, side eye, snark) much better. Wendy isn't a rare gem. She's an old clam.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Joan could snark like no other. So Wendy is not some unique brand. Someone on YouTube commented on replacing WW with Nene Leakes. I'm down with that. Nene would be a refreshing take on gossip with a much better perspective on "throwin' shade".

I saw someone on YT mention Wendy Raquel-Robinson as a replacement for WW. I had to laugh because like others my first thought was all that would have to be done besides replacing WW would be to officially remove Williams from the title and just call it The Wendy Show.

• Love 2

I'll be watching when they bring in the various hosts to see how they do with Hot Topics (which is the only thing I watch).  Hopefully they will get names right...  I wonder if the producers are 'testing' any of the substitute hosts in case Wendy decides to move on.

• Love 2

I read a couple of days ago that Wendy was in the hospital because she was having surgery on her shoulder. That story quickly disappeard. Now she is in the hospital because of having complications from Graves disease. What about this entire month prior? What has she been doing to get well?  It's all BS. Now she is saying she doesn't know when she's coming back.  I still believe she's in rehab and her family and publicists are all lying for her. I don't get why her sponsors haven't pulled away.

I refuse to watch The Wendy Williams Show with no Wendy Williams. It's beyond ridiculous. I do feel sorry for her staff, though. Wondering every day what is going to become of their jobs. 

• Love 5

The key evidence for me that her reasons might be shady is that they had to cancel the winter premier of the show totally LAST MINUTE. They had guests lined up and everything. And again, this latest push back was totally last minute, so that they have to show reruns next week before being able to find more fill-ins for the following week. That to me does not indicate the delay is due to the stated medical reasons, as both the shoulder and her Graves are established conditions being thoroughly evaluated and monitored by doctors, so I would think they would have had some indication if these conditions were getting worse or going to require hospitalization and/or delay the show.  It seems more likely a situation that is very unpredictable is going on, such as addiction or acute stress, where she thinks she will be ready in a week or three weeks, but then finds she is not.

~Puple Chair Detective Agency indubitably-smiley.gif  

laugh1-smiley.gif

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 10

Does stress make Graves worse?  If so, with the pregnant mistress and all the internet talk, I can see why she might be having to be hospitalized.  

It's amazing to me that "normal" people might have been able to take a week off for a hairline fracture to their shoulder but Wendy needs an entire month.  Most people (those that don't need full movement in their arms to do their jobs, that is) would be slugging around their office, getting as much done as they can with one arm.  And Wendy claims to be "like us", not "them".  She is soooooooooooooo a "them".

I mean, yeah, we would all still have wanted the full T on how she fractured her arm but she could still do the show.  After the normal two weeks off at the holidays, she should be able to do her job with a liberal dose of ibuprofen.  Hell, she only has to be "on" for one hour.

The extended absence is only going to make people wonder more and concoct their own stories.  The rumors are still going to be there, if not get worse.  And now, people are going to be really pissy if she comes back and doesn't spill ALL, answering all questions.

• Love 5