Type keyword(s) to search

Blessed Be: Questions from Non-Book Readers, Answers from Book Readers

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've lost track of where we're at with this season.  I think we've seen Episode 3???

Episode 4 is "Milk" and next Tuesday night is a new episode.  

• Love 1
(edited)

(answering a question in the episode thread here about Atwood saying everything in Handmaid's has a basis in real life)

I can look later, but meanwhile, a google search is as good for you as for me.  I've seen her say it, and give examples, both in print and on youtube.  I'm pretty sure she's also done several about The Handmaid's Tale in particular, and I'd bet most of those quotes are since the show started.  Although, I remember way back when the first book was published there was a print article interviewing her doing the same thing.  

She cites things throughout history, and in every country, and is adamant that she uses nothing that hasn't already happened, somewhere, at some time.  I think the women in uniforms and additional women to have babies for them might be about burkas and multiple wives/concubines for example.  I haven't read her other novels so am not sure if she talked about them the way she talked about Handmaid's though.

As far as coups overthrowing governments, the examples are multiple, etc.  Ditto religious fanaticism and punishment for "sins" such as abortion or adultery.  There is even one, but I don't remember the specifics about particulation (tearing someone apart by mob.)

Here is one article with hyperlinks.  https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/05/everything_that_happens_in_the.html

@circumvent

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
(edited)

THE MILITARY QUESTIONS

Interesting questions in the episode threads about the military in Gilead, and what about those stationed overseas, basically how did it all happen?

From memory, book and show, but please feel free to chime in, correct, speculate, etc.

1. Spoiler

1. The military was part of the coup, in other words, generals, admirals, and others were all in on overthrowing democracy and creating a religious theocracy.
    2. Many of these men were/are current commanders in Gilead.
    3. Originally, everyone was told, citizens and military, that Islamic Terrorists killed all of the leaders (congress, judicial, executive.)  
    4. The constitution was suspended "temporarily" and this was supported by many, as Americans banded together to defeat the terrorists.  So, as we saw in the show, for one example, protests were met by gunning down the protesters.
    5. Many executions took place, including all POC (except for a few who were banished to crop growing colonies, separated by sex, so they could not "breed.")  Jewish people were also murdered, as well as priests, professors, etc.

The USA had many issues before the take over, including incredibly low live birth rates, excessive pollution, climate change issues, and devastating power plant "accidents" contaminating large areas of the USA.  There was a significant increase in fundamentalist religion, and racism among many, Serena was a leader in that.  In addition, the misogyny was huge, women were blamed for nearly all of the issues, and a call for returning to the good old days where men were men and women stayed home and raised the babies was widely accepted.  (Junes mom out there protesting all of this, while many/most ignored.)

So, what about the overseas military?  This gets into a lot of speculation, but please correct me if I am wrong in any of my spec, or you know more from books.

1. This Coup was long planned, and it's safe to believe that this included dealing with overseas troops/material.
    2. My guess is, leaders in each country were replaced/recalled/murdered if they did not support the coup.  Minor countries with no real significance may have been left alone.
    3. In general, troops follow orders, so again, thinking Islamic terrorists had attacked the USA, they probably did whatever they were told to do.  BUT, for how long?  
    4. My guess is that many, those left alive anyway, white guys, were either returned to Gilead, OR promoted and still loyal to Gilead, left in place (Germany, Asia, where ever.) 
    5. I also guess that since there was so little information allowed outside of Gilead proper (the black box) that it could have taken quite a while for many/some to understand what is actually going on.  If they were smart enough, they could keep quiet about it, thus staying alive, OR desert and join rebels, or just ask for asylum where they were.
    6. The white women in the military were undoubtedly treated like any other woman in Gilead.  Made handmaid, wife, econwife, aunt, or sent to colonies or their death.  

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3