Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Mary With Children

In the season premiere, Sabrina is in a new battle for custody of Oakley while dealing with her pregnancy; Jeremiah and Carmela plan to build a home in Florida; Rebecca wants to go back to school; and Mary learns sad news about her father.

too long of an episode. I set it to DVR and it's 3 hours! Watched about half so far. Really wondering why it's still called Return to Amish as no one has yet done that. I don't even think that Mary can be considered Amish anymore. Good to see her selling Tupperware though. I don't think Jeremiah and Carmela's marriage will last, in my opinion. Way too much drama in regard to their getting a new house. Can't believe they've been living in a camper for months but I guess it's because he has the traveling donut business at various fairs. Where are her kids anyway- doesn't she have 3?

• Love 2
(edited)

Man, what a cluster.......Okay.  I knew that Sabrina was not ready to take custody of Oakley.  Instead of just working on staying drug free, they might have worked on using good judgment.  I just don't think that Sabrina will be able to use independent thought, to the degree it's required to navigate through parenting.  The court order was clear as to what she could NOT do regarding Oakley and she just violated like crazy.  And then, she's angry with the county......And if you know that your daughter is not allowed to be around your boyfriend, as a condition of you getting her back....WHY do you have another baby with the man? It's just beyond mind boggling.  I have some issues with Rebecca, but, I have to agree with her about Sabrina bringing this on herself.  

Rebecca looks so much better with blonde hair.....OMG, she needs to return to her natural color.  That super dark look makes her look old and matronly.  

When Abe was discouraging Rebecca to not get her GED, I wanted her to ask him what happens to her and the kids IF he gets killed?  How would she support herself?  Plus, for the kids to know that she didn't finish high school?  He's a very backwards thinking person.  I hope she gets her GED anyway. 

I think it's a real shame that the producers for TLC didn't step in to help Rebecca and Abe to get dental care, so they could have avoided dentures in their 20's.  It's just not right, imo.  I know they get their salary, but, imo, something could have been arranged to help those young people to avoid dentures.  It really angers me.

And if the producers of TLC really stood by and let Jeremiah buy land that was worthless, that's a crime too.  He is not mentally competent to handle major issues.  He actually could use a Guardian to handle his finances.  I'm hoping this is a plot device by the producers and it will work out.  At first, I thought his wife was pretty amazing, but, she seems to be clueless.  WHAT is she doing this guy?  (And why did the reality show them that loser lot?  She had to know it would not perk.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, what a cluster.......Okay.  I knew that Sabrina was not ready to take custody of Oakley.  Instead of just working on staying drug free, they might have worked on using good judgment.  I just don't think that Sabrina will be able to use independent thought, to the degree it's required to navigate through parenting.  The court order was clear as to what she could NOT do regarding Oakley and she just violated like crazy.  And then, she's angry with the county......And if you know that your daughter is not allowed to be around your boyfriend, as a condition of you getting her back....WHY do you have another baby with the man? It's just beyond mind boggling.  I have some issues with Rebecca, but, I have to agree with her about Sabrina bringing this on herself.  

Rebecca looks so much better with blonde hair.....OMG, she needs to return to her natural color.  That super dark look makes her look old and matronly.  

When Abe was discouraging Rebecca to not get her GED, I wanted her to ask him what happens to her and the kids IF he gets killed?  How would she support herself?  Plus, for the kids to know that she didn't finish high school?  He's a very backwards thinking person.  I hope she gets her GED anyway. 

I think it's a real shame that the producers for TLC didn't step in to help Rebecca and Abe to get dental care, so they could have avoided dentures in their 20's.  It's just not right, imo.  I know they get their salary, but, imo, something could have been arranged to help those young people to avoid dentures.  It really angers me.

And if the producers of TLC really stood by and let Jeremiah buy land that was worthless, that's a crime too.  He is not mentally competent to handle major issues.  He actually could use a Guardian to handle his finances.  I'm hoping this is a plot device by the producers and it will work out.  At first, I thought his wife was pretty amazing, but, she seems to be clueless.  WHAT is she doing this guy?  (And why did the reality show them that loser lot?  She had to know it would not perk.)

Rebecca had dentures before the show, but they didn't fit right so her getting new dentures was a story line, i think on the original breaking Amish, or maybe the second season where it became return to Amish. I'm surprised TLC didn't step in with Abe though, since him trying to keep his teeth was a storyline last season... I guess they were too far gone.

2 minutes ago, leighroda said:

Rebecca had dentures before the show, but they didn't fit right so her getting new dentures was a story line, i think on the original breaking Amish, or maybe the second season where it became return to Amish. I'm surprised TLC didn't step in with Abe though, since him trying to keep his teeth was a storyline last season... I guess they were too far gone.

Oh, I was thinking about the early days they showed last night in flashbacks.  It showed when the series first started.  It looked like Rebecca had decayed top teeth that were beyond repair then.  I didn't notice any dentures then....oh well...I just thought that then would have been a good time to get her implants or something.  

Haven't watched but sounds like what was put out about Sabrina and her losing custody was a load of crap and there was more to the story which was why she disappeared from SM when she let it out...as well as it was going to be played out on the show. Sorry but I am disgusted that they are doing that again too and have her back when she should be learning to cope with her own issues. This show doesn't help that at all. 

I agree why are they not paying or helping pay for Abe's teeth? Rebecca had explained why she had the dentures during that first time they were on with Breaking Amish. It was terrible IMO that it happened and is just wrong to do that. I take it that he might have had options with his teeth on what to do but the dentures might be the best option at this point sadly. 

I took it that the the whole GED issues was a stupid scripted thing. I can't imagine he would be upset with her for really doing that. I would think he would want her to have it for many reasons like suggested above. 

As for what was said on Jeremiah, no matter what he is a piece of crap that needs to just disappear forever from tv and probably SM...as well as keep away from women. I would bet the worthless land is another scripted stupid thing. 

I am so glad Kate is done with this show. I hope she is happy with her life and is doing well with school and getting her career going more in fashion. Its all she needs to deal with in her life IMO for now. Not a bunch of cameras, drama and abuse. 

• Love 1

While Sabrina may need to really focus on her life and her children, I'm not so sure that leaving the show would help her do that.  She seems very unfocused and I wonder if the show may at least keep her accountable for her actions.  Plus, she doesn't seem to be very employable.  If she has no income, then I would think that she would be more vulnerable to bad influences.  After being homeless, she likely really relies on the income she gets from the show. to provide shelter and food for her kids.  Too bad, she's not taking advantage of her opportunities.  She has income, professional therapists, and access to legal services.  I'm not sure why she just can't seem to do the right things.  I really wonder if she is capable of being responsible for herself and her kids.  Something is just not right. 

• Love 4

Had no idea this show was returning but my DVR picked it up. After watching some of it, I still have no idea why it's back. Gads, three hours? I made it through one hour and kept thinking there's no way they can fill two more, much less an entire season. I would bail, but OH insists on watching. Ugh.

I agree that there surely must be more to Sabrina's story than what we're getting here. I'm positive we won't get it from the show. But honestly the thought of watching another entire season of her constant moping, whining, and crying is making me ill. Not that the other characters are much better.

Mary: Whaaa, I'm shunned. They won't let me back in. (While chugging bar drinks and swinging on a stripper pole.)

Abe: Why can't I have my 17th century attitudes while living in a 21st century world?

Rebecca: Just as soon as I get my GED I'll be going to a 4-year university and then dental school. Should be do-able on a truck driver's salary.

Jeremiah: You're a pussy, Abe. I'm still a stud, don't call me grandpa.

Carmela: Guess I picked a loser but I need someone to support my kids and grandkids.

Kate: How did I get hooked up with these assholes?

• Love 7

I have finally given up totally on this show. I took off my season-pass on the DVR and didn't watch this episode. But I will occasionally read what y'all have to say about it because I am curious how Sabrina turns out (what a trainwreck) and if Carmela gets her senses and leaves. After much thought, I have decided Mary is the most insufferable asshole of them all, with Jeremiah a close second.

• Love 3

Thoughts:

1) Glad I recorded it so I could FF much of the show.

2) Abe "sacrificing" his teeth because of $20,000 price tag while not having the money to fix his truck. Let your wife get her education, get a part time job as a dental hygienist or assistant. Help with the finances. 

3) Mary will never return to Amish, except for visiting (sneaking in) Chester and any other of her kids who aren't afraid to be seen with her. Her blasting the Amish funeral director seals her banishment forever. Tupperware? I think they just want to be on TV . Mary, lard is worse than butter.  She needs a dietitian to explain things. Yes you can eat the "yummy" food but in limited quantities. She is a compulsive gambler?  

4) What do I say about Sabrina? Violating the court order and then upset about losing Oakley? What did you expect? I don't know about PA but it takes a lot for the state to terminate parental privileges. There had to be a lot more to the story, such as abuse to Oakley. (Speculating, but from my experience DSS doesn't step in unless there is a very real danger. Same thing about taking the baby.)

5) Jeremiah: Ugg, what a POS. His wife told him the ground was too wet. Then he shouts that the state can't tell him what to do on his sinkhole property. But isn't the real estate agent or seller responsible for not knowing/ telling them about the isssue. I think the agent/seller is responsible for not disclosing that. I don't believe they did know something. But Jeremiah calling Abe pussy whipped just tells you about Jeremiah. I don't think Carmela will stick it out with his attitude. She is not as brainwashed as she seems.

6) Rebeca being born out of wedlock explains a lot. Her reaction to Sabrina makes me think her mother may have been involved in drugs. (Speculation) I applaud her desire to get her GED. I wish she had a better tutor/counselor/teacher. I would have expected a counselor/teacher in PA Dutch Country be more familiar with Amish education. This guy seemed more discouraging than helpful. Rebecca may not have had an education but she seems smart. This guy on top of Abe's discouraging her will make her education more difficult. 

All in all, these people are all ex Amish, never to return, even if they wanted to. Adapting to the English world is hard enough, but impossible to do if you hold onto backward beliefs regarding women and education.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I have finally given up totally on this show. I took off my season-pass on the DVR and didn't watch this episode. But I will occasionally read what y'all have to say about it because I am curious how Sabrina turns out (what a trainwreck) and if Carmela gets her senses and leaves. After much thought, I have decided Mary is the most insufferable asshole of them all, with Jeremiah a close second.

Come sit next to me, ClareWalks!  I'm proud to have finally broken up with this bunch, but morbid curiosity will keep me perusing the forums to find out what shenanigans they're up to.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thumper82003 said:

4) What do I say about Sabrina? Violating the court order and then upset about losing Oakley? What did you expect? I don't know about PA but it takes a lot for the state to terminate parental privileges. There had to be a lot more to the story, such as abuse to Oakley. (Speculating, but from my experience DSS doesn't step in unless there is a very real danger. Same thing about taking the baby.)

5) Jeremiah: Ugg, what a POS. His wife told him the ground was too wet. Then he shouts that the state can't tell him what to do on his sinkhole property. But isn't the real estate agent or seller responsible for not knowing/ telling them about the isssue. I think the agent/seller is responsible for not disclosing that. I don't believe they did know something. But Jeremiah calling Abe pussy whipped just tells you about Jeremiah. I don't think Carmela will stick it out with his attitude. She is not as brainwashed as she seems.

6) Rebeca being born out of wedlock explains a lot. Her reaction to Sabrina makes me think her mother may have been involved in drugs. (Speculation) I applaud her desire to get her GED. I wish she had a better tutor/counselor/teacher. I would have expected a counselor/teacher in PA Dutch Country be more familiar with Amish education. This guy seemed more discouraging than helpful. Rebecca may not have had an education but she seems smart. This guy on top of Abe's discouraging her will make her education more difficult. 

Sabrina and Jeremiah have something in common. They both blame everyone else for their issues but never take responsibility for their shit, how they treat others or react. Jeremiah has been saying Abe is pussy whipped for a while and it does say a lot about him. He doesn't get that Abe treats his wife good (I think the GED/job is just stupid producer script) and more so an equal because she is a strong woman. Which I doubt Jeremiah would never be able to handle a strong woman. He wants one that is weak because he wants to feel like a "man". I agree that Carmela is not as brainwashed as she comes off. 

I want to say didn't Rebecca mention that way back when they started the show? I can imagine living in an Amish community with that known wouldn't be easy. Maybe her mom was as well but she has also seen so much with how bad addicts can be thanks to Andrew and Chapel. So she knows you can only do so much when it comes to addicts. I know she has been trashed for not doing more for Sabrina but I have thought she did more than she probably should have. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Correction to above.  I meant why did that real estate agent show Jeremiah that land if it would not accommodate a house?  Sounds fishy to me.  

If you listened to him later on when he was confronted by the gentleman who told them there was an issue with the land, Jeremiah actually said something about owning the property for a few months.  So the real estate stuff was staged for sure.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, MV713 said:

If you listened to him later on when he was confronted by the gentleman who told them there was an issue with the land, Jeremiah actually said something about owning the property for a few months.  So the real estate stuff was staged for sure.

Moreover, Jeremiah and Carmela were wearing the exact same clothes when they were shopping for a house/land with the realtor and when the guy came up asking for the owner and then telling Jeremiah about the sinkhole problem. Those two events were definitely filmed on the same day so at least one (if not both) of the events was staged (realtor or sinkhole guy). That does not mean the events did not happen; only that at least one was an act of fiction or a reenactment.

I honestly do not believe anything we see on the show. Some of it may be true, but some of it is clearly staged/reenacted. Since we can't tell which is which, none of it can be trusted. As far as I'm concerned, this show and all reality shows like it are works of fiction.

• Love 4
(edited)

You have to really pick the stuff that is true, from that which is staged.  Most of the drama is staged, imo. There is drama, but, I think it happens when cameras aren't rolling.  I think they often reenact things.  I do believe the part about the dental problems though.  

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the gift opening at one time?  I thought that was the point to have a celebration and gathering to exchange gifts.  What did you think of the gift that Rebecca gave Kate?  I know it's the thought that counts, but, I wonder if she really thought that Kate would use it and if that was the only thing she had to give Kate.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I took it that the the whole GED issues was a stupid scripted thing. I can't imagine he would be upset with her for really doing that. I would think he would want her to have it for many reasons like suggested above. 

Then she would be even smarter than he is.

I know these people only have had limited education but they are so freaking ignorant!

Sabrina stop whining and screwing everything that moves. get a real job and get your kid back.

Was Carmela that desperate to marry Jeremiah??? What a POS he is and that stupid smile that I want to take a boot too. I can only watch this show in small doses.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Complexity said:

Moreover, Jeremiah and Carmela were wearing the exact same clothes when they were shopping for a house/land with the realtor and when the guy came up asking for the owner and then telling Jeremiah about the sinkhole problem. Those two events were definitely filmed on the same day so at least one (if not both) of the events was staged (realtor or sinkhole guy). That does not mean the events did not happen; only that at least one was an act of fiction or a reenactment.

I honestly do not believe anything we see on the show. Some of it may be true, but some of it is clearly staged/reenacted. Since we can't tell which is which, none of it can be trusted. As far as I'm concerned, this show and all reality shows like it are works of fiction.

Hmmm I wonder if Sabrina is even really pregnant or did they recreate this?  Now I'm questioning everything :)

23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You have to really pick the stuff that is true, from that which is staged.  Most of the drama is staged, imo. There is drama, but, I think it happens when cameras aren't rolling.  I think they often reenact things.  I do believe the part about the dental problems though.  

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the gift opening at one time?  I thought that was the point to have a celebration and gathering to exchange gifts.  What did you think of the gift that Rebecca gave Kate?  I know it's the thought that counts, but, I wonder if she really thought that Kate would use it and if that was the only thing she had to give Kate.  

what gifts are you referring to? 

Yippee!!  Kate made it out if this trainwreck!!  She is/was the only normal person on this show.  Only watched a few minutes.  How can this show still be on the air?   Cancel it!

PS..Sabrina needs to be sterilized and Jeramiah needs his tongue cut out.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MV713 said:

Hmmm I wonder if Sabrina is even really pregnant or did they recreate this?  Now I'm questioning everything :)

She was and had the baby back in Nov. 

Wow... Trailer trash uneducated morons try to fight their way through an English society by acting as stupidly as they can possibly act, while trying to hold on to a threadbare piece of dignity as they blame all their problems on everyone and everything but themselves.

Absolutely clueless jerks (if they were all on meth I might understand), "I wanna be a dentist"-with an 8th grade or less education... "Let's move to Florida and buy the first thing we see"- with donut carny money ? 2 properties? one property that cannot even be built on, what is he smokin' ? What are we smokin' if we even believe any of this crap....

I will watch again and again for the sheer joy to watch these trainwreck, wholly pathetic losers, screw their lives up while crying and arguing with the inevitable crisis they manage to bring upon themselves. To say I have absolute no sympathy for these clowns is an understatement .....

Let us pray Kate manages to steer clear this season, but since they already mentioned her, we will probably see her dragged into this season's mess...

9 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

Wow... Trailer trash uneducated morons try to fight their way through an English society by acting as stupidly as they can possibly act, while trying to hold on to a threadbare piece of dignity as they blame all their problems on everyone and everything but themselves.

Absolutely clueless jerks (if they were all on meth I might understand), "I wanna be a dentist"-with an 8th grade or less education... "Let's move to Florida and buy the first thing we see"- with donut carny money ? 2 properties? one property that cannot even be built on, what is he smokin' ? What are we smokin' if we even believe any of this crap....

I will watch again and again for the sheer joy to watch these trainwreck, wholly pathetic losers, screw their lives up while crying and arguing with the inevitable crisis they manage to bring upon themselves. To say I have absolute no sympathy for these clowns is an understatement .....

Let us pray Kate manages to steer clear this season, but since they already mentioned her, we will probably see her dragged into this season's mess...

With patience and persistence, anyone's dream can be achieved. I'm not "team Rebecca" and find her to be kind of an asshole, but she has a passion for dentistry due to her own experience. If she is motivated enough, willing to work hard and able to learn, it is possible. Problem with all these people, however, is their immaturity and impulsiveness. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

With patience and persistence, anyone's dream can be achieved. I'm not "team Rebecca" and find her to be kind of an asshole, but she has a passion for dentistry due to her own experience. If she is motivated enough, willing to work hard and able to learn, it is possible. Problem with all these people, however, is their immaturity and impulsiveness. 

Sadly they go along with playing the parts this show wants them too. I don't think Rebecca is an asshole. I don't think she is great but I think a lot of the reasons people give for her being one is coming off of scripted bs given to her or because she didn't want to put up with Sabrina's crap (sorry but I wouldn't either). I don't get the reason its so bad if she wants to get some education though and try to go beyond just a GED and have a career. I can imagine she would rather Abe be home with them more than on the road driving and worrying about him when he is. I agree that her experiences on the issue is probably what is motivating her to want to go that way. She is young enough she could give it a shot. Good for her for doing it. Its better than what Jeremiah is doing with his shit, Mary and her crap or Sabrina with all her fuckuppery that is harmful to her kids well being. Kate was smart for not coming back. I don't care if they mention her, I think she is so over this crap and how she has been treated by the producers and Jeremiah. Which btw, if Rebecca should give up her dream because of education then wouldn't the same have to be told to Kate as well for her's with having a fashion business? 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

I can imagine she would rather Abe be home with them more than on the road driving and worrying about him when he is.

Except for the fact he never seems to work...at all... I mean, at least show the guy coming home from work, or leaving for work, or AT work... Seems to me he is already there at home all the time... I know that for 3 seasons we have been told he works long hours driving a truck, yet I cannot remember one scene of Abe and said truck... Once, they showed a truck driving down the road when they talked about his job and that was about all I ever saw...

45 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Sabrina with all her fuckuppery

Made me laugh... very good EQ...LOL

47 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Which btw, if Rebecca should give up her dream because of education then wouldn't the same have to be told to Kate as well for her's with having a fashion business? 

Point well made, still though, no kids, no mouth breathing husband, still a good point...

3 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

Except for the fact he never seems to work...at all... I mean, at least show the guy coming home from work, or leaving for work, or AT work... Seems to me he is already there at home all the time... I know that for 3 seasons we have been told he works long hours driving a truck, yet I cannot remember one scene of Abe and said truck... Once, they showed a truck driving down the road when they talked about his job and that was about all I ever saw...

Made me laugh... very good EQ...LOL

Point well made, still though, no kids, no mouth breathing husband, still a good point...

LOL Thanks. 

There was the season he took dumbass Jeremiah with him so he could go see his kids. Wasn't that in the truck or did he drive there in a regular one? I can't remember but I thought it was because his job took him that way. With the last season it was so spaced out with the time frame that I think some of it could have been that he was off driving, as well as waiting on Sabrina's custody issues with Oakley. It just felt so all over. It went from season to Christmas to months later and then months later more. With all the articles on Sabrina's custody issues and such it was easy to see how many months that show was spread over. It was a bit much I thought. I think I said stuff about it under the threads too. Its one of those things that bugged me. Maybe the show doesn't want us to remember he has a real job and they might actually be some what normal compared to the others by showing his job....or the company isn't into it. I know I am not on social media but some place else I had seen a while back that Rebecca mentions it when he is off on the road in SM. I know my mom had a friend who's husband was a truck driver. He would be gone in long chunks then back for a long period of time. Not sure if that is how it works now or if it just varies by company/jobs. I would just hope they are being smart with the money from this show though since they do have their family. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

They need to have Abe and Rebecca together to have any dialogue take place. Otherwise, they won't have anything to show other than maybe them talking to themselves.

• Scene: Abe driving down the road in a truck. Shot of the side of the truck in motion. Shot of Abe inside the truck while it's in motion. Close up of Abe listening to the radio. And then we see Abe either talking to the radio or singing with the radio... or both!
  • Scene: Rebecca sitting in a chair studying for her GED. Shot of Rebecca looking intensely at her book. Sideshot of same. Close up of concentration on Rebecca's face. Weird music in the background (otherwise it would be eerily silent).

Yeah, they kind of need the two of them together to have some kind of interaction to film.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Complexity said:

Yeah, they kind of need the two of them together to have some kind of interaction to film.

How 'bout Abe driving truck while FaceTime with Rebecca while she is studying for her Dental finals at Harvard when Abe pulls over to pick up hitchhiker who turns out to be serial killer when Rebecca has brilliant insight to create new amazing social network which blows Facebook out of the water so that Abe and Rebecca and serial killer hitchhiker all make billions and retire to trailer park in Florida next to Jeremiah's swamp... or is that too far fetched ?

Hey Complexity, maybe we could get hired as writers for this show... 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

How 'bout Abe driving truck while FaceTime with Rebecca while she is studying for her Dental finals at Harvard when Abe pulls over to pick up hitchhiker who turns out to be serial killer when Rebecca has brilliant insight to create new amazing social network which blows Facebook out of the water so that Abe and Rebecca and serial killer hitchhiker all make billions and retire to trailer park in Florida next to Jeremiah's swamp... or is that too far fetched ?

Naw, won't work. It leaves out Mary's drinking and gambling. Can't do either over FaceTime or in a swamp. Gotta keep it real. After all, this is a reality show! ?

• Love 1

I believe Abe mentioned his truck needing repairs as the reason he wasn't on the road. But they didn't mention any effort to repair the truck or say how they were living without him working.

iirc, Rebecca wants to be a dental hygienist or assistant. That is a realistic ambition IF she gets her GED. It would be 1-2 years after her GED.

• Love 2

Ugh, I have to admit I got sucked in again with this trash thanks to my DVR, and despite the 3 hour episode!  I think TLC is rushing the season putting eps back to back like this.

I agree with the plots so far seeming especially scripted and fake, probably more so than in prior seasons because they really have nothing to film anymore, so they have reach harder to make stuff up and they're getting messy about it so the audience is becoming even more aware of it.  That whole thing with the land was so fishy it stank.  My gut feeling at the time was that they never really bought the land.  That person showing it to them was probably not even a real realtor and that person who supposedly just happened to show up to tell them about the sinkhole business was a plant.  The whole thing was filmed in one day probably, hence the same clothes being worn in both scenes.  Carmela gave in suddenly and way to easily to buy that property and it just seemed so fake.

Fake too is Abe being against Rebecca getting an education or working.  I don't buy it. 

Sabrina is such a train wreck I can't even keep straight what's really happening with her versus what the show is making us think.  I can't even give it that much thought.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Ugh, I have to admit I got sucked in again with this trash thanks to my DVR, and despite the 3 hour episode!  I think TLC is rushing the season putting eps back to back like this.

I agree with the plots so far seeming especially scripted and fake, probably more so than in prior seasons because they really have nothing to film anymore, so they have reach harder to make stuff up and they're getting messy about it so the audience is becoming even more aware of it.  That whole thing with the land was so fishy it stank.  My gut feeling at the time was that they never really bought the land.  That person showing it to them was probably not even a real realtor and that person who supposedly just happened to show up to tell them about the sinkhole business was a plant.  The whole thing was filmed in one day probably, hence the same clothes being worn in both scenes.  Carmela gave in suddenly and way to easily to buy that property and it just seemed so fake.

Fake too is Abe being against Rebecca getting an education or working.  I don't buy it. 

Sabrina is such a train wreck I can't even keep straight what's really happening with her versus what the show is making us think.  I can't even give it that much thought.

I can't stand to hear her speak. It's like, uhhm, painful. I know her constant clamoring for Rebecca's friendship is probably scripted but that's also painful to watch. Sabrina needs to stop begging and keep her distance. Rebecca isn't having it--the most Sabrina can hope for now is civility and the more she begs, the worse she makes it. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thumper82003 said:

I believe Abe mentioned his truck needing repairs as the reason he wasn't on the road. But they didn't mention any effort to repair the truck or say how they were living without him working.

iirc, Rebecca wants to be a dental hygienist or assistant. That is a realistic ambition IF she gets her GED. It would be 1-2 years after her GED.

IMO, they have to have a reason to explain why they are seemingly on hiatus from other jobs, so they can hang out and film the show.  That's why I think they come up with fabricated reasons they are available, like the truck is having repairs.  If not for that, Abe would be on the road for most of the week.  

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Thumper82003 said:

She said dentist... I wish her the best of luck as she will need a lot of it to become one with her education. Eight years of college courses (with an 8th grade education) and a husband who doesn't want you to get a GED = no luck at all. Get rid of Abe, hire a babysitter, get a full time job to cover the $60,000+ tuition, apply for student loans, apply for every grant you can find, study endlessly, hire a tutor, be prepared for setbacks at every turn, and you may stand a chance....

Dental Assistants requirements vary from state to state, commonly 1 year of school or training... Dental Hygienist generally takes a four year college program (my daughter is a DH), tough stuff to learn. A DH does a lot more than an assistant, plus earns a lot more...

I mean, either way, she has an uphill battle to achieve any of these goals, but who knows, she may have enough ambition and gumption to go all the way. Although from what I have seen from this pathetic show, is that she likes to just sit around and complain about Abe and Sabrina and Jeremiah and life in general... Needs to get on the ball and less talk, more action.

Edited by realityobserver
add word
7 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

She said dentist... I wish her the best of luck as she will need a lot of it to become one with her education. Eight years of college courses (with an 8th grade education) and a husband who doesn't want you to get a GED = no luck at all. Get rid of Abe, hire a babysitter, get a full time job to cover the $60,000+ tuition, apply for student loans, apply for every grant you can find, study endlessly, hire a tutor, be prepared for setbacks at every turn, and you may stand a chance....

Dental Assistants requirements vary from state to state, commonly 1 year of school or training... Dental Hygienist generally takes a four year college program (my daughter is a DH), tough stuff to learn. A DH does a lot more than an assistant, plus earns a lot more...

I mean, either way, she has an uphill battle to achieve any of these goals, but who knows, she may have enough ambition and gumption to go all the way. Although from what I have seen from this pathetic show is she likes to just sit around and complain about Abe and Sabrina and Jeremiah and life in general... Needs to get on the ball and less talk, more action.

I agree. I think you are on track with the idea of her considering becoming a dental assistant or dental hygienist and not a dentist. However, I don't think we can hold Rebecca's behavior to be only what we see on the show as we know the filming is very highly edited to show only what TLC wants us to see.

According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH)*—a resource from the Bureau of Statistics that tracks jobs in the U.S.—the following requirements for those jobs are:

• Dental Assistant: "Some states require dental assistants to graduate from an accredited program and pass an exam. Most programs are offered by community colleges, although they also may be offered by vocational or technical schools. Most programs take about 1 year to complete and lead to a certificate or diploma. Programs that last 2 years are less common and lead to an associate’s degree." Source
  • Dental Hygienist: "Dental hygienists typically need an associate’s degree in dental hygiene. Bachelor’s degrees in dental hygiene are also available, but are less common." "Dental hygiene programs are commonly found in community colleges, technical schools, and universities." "Programs typically take 3 years to complete.... Areas of study include anatomy, physiology, nutrition, radiography, pathology, medical ethics, head and neck anatomy, patient management, and periodontics, which is the study of gum disease." "High school students interested in becoming dental hygienists should take courses in biology, chemistry, and math. Most dental hygiene programs also require applicants to have completed at least 1 year of college." Source

I don't think Rebecca has much of a chance at becoming a dental hygienist given her current level of knowledge in math and science, as well as the other roadblocks already mentioned. Her best bet would be to work on becoming a dental assistant. She would have to get her GED and then 1 year of either community college, vocational school, or tech school. That is doable for someone in Rebecca's position if she was willing and able to do the work to get there.

*The OOH was a resource taught to me in my Career Psychology course. It's an excellent resource.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Thumper82003 said:

I recall Abe saying something about the truck needing repairs and that they took out a home equity loan to do so.  That assumes that they own the house they're living in.  I can't imagine why on earth he'd be so against his wife working outside the home (or getting a GED for better opportunity).  They presumably (if any of what they say is true) have a mortgage and a home equity loan to pay.  Plus they have two children to raise.  Kids aren't cheap.  I guess he's just the product of his upbringing with stringent gender roles.

I'm really beginning to wonder about Sabrina.  I think she really may be a bit mentally slow.  If she's clean, then that's not drug haze, and I don't think she abused drugs long enough to get the drug addled brain, but that's what she sounds like when she speaks.  

I hope she's on Norplant or something before she's knocked up yet again.  I could see her employing the logic that she would just keep on having kid after kid if DFS keeps taking them away.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Complexity said:

However, I don't think we can hold Rebecca's behavior to be only what we see on the show as we know the filming is very highly edited to show only what TLC wants us to see.

And completely scripted... In real life, these folks would carry on with their totally humdrum, boring lives and no one wants to see that.... I imagine between takes, they all retire to the PS4 and Netflix till the director says 'Action'....

Rebecca is probably in reality a Rhodes Scholar and an accomplished author with a desire to be the next Senator from Pennsylvania ....  hahahaha

• Love 1

Ok started to watch this....Sabrina's skin is looking really bad and you can see she is a junkie by looking at it. WTF was she talking about sexy clothes for pregnant women for. Its the last thing she needs to be thinking about. She needs to start taking responsibility for her shit already. She was running around in a shirt that says "kiss me I'm pregnant". This counselor that Sabrina is seeing....is he for real? The whole "worthy friend" crap he spewed....really dude? Maybe get she is living in lala land and playing up her victim role. He wouldn't have known she lost Oakley? I would think she would have still be seeing a counselor after getting custody the first time. Which makes me even question more if he is for real or not or if this is an "actor" playing the part with his little script. The doula was a bit of an odd one. She was kind of creeping me out a bit. Why was this lady going over birth with her when she has had a child? I get going over options for how to have a baby but she didn't need the whole this is the baby/placenta talk. The whole home birth to try to not get taken is a joke. No matter what it will be recorded and they could still take it. Which sadly is probably for the best considering. 

OMG Jeremiah is nothing more than a major asshole woman abuser. He told her it was dumb to say something that she felt was true. Fuck you Jeremiah! And sorry but he is not a grandpa he is just some asshole you married. The last thing he should ever do is have more kids himself. He doesn't seem to see the ones he has much. Carmela is kind to think of getting Sabrina baby stuff but ugh...Where was Carmela's kids during her bouncing all over to the fairs selling donuts? The girl needs to leave Jeremiah though. She should have seen it before marrying him that it was a bad idea with how he behaves. He belittles her like he does (and does to others) and has that temper. That stuff is not scripted at all. That is true him. I am so sick of him calling Abe a pussy when its obvious Jeremiah is the pussy. Real men don't have abuse others. His comments about Rebecca wanting to be in the dental field and she would tell people to pull their teeth out. Keep opening the mouth dude and showing how pathetic you are. Good for Carmela telling him crap on not knowing who decided on what Abe was doing with his teeth. You can't tell me that they have enough money to buy land to put a mobile home on and the one with that house.

The whole GED stuff is obviously scripted. Good for Rebecca for doing what is best when it comes to Sabrina. Mary is a stupid ass on it all and wanting Abe to go with her. UGH 

If Kate isn't talking to any of them does anyone blame her? Why on earth would she speak to Jeremiah of all people? He has been an ass to her always. I love how Mary is saying Kate hasn't try to contact her. Um she ever try to contact Kate? Mary what does she expect? She wasn't welcome to the funeral and she knew she wouldn't have been. She is shunned. While it sucks she knew it would be that way. Mary is so stupid. That guy would do it again no matter what. Her talk did nothing at all. She goes to see a trainer at a gym then brings him her overly unhealthy foods and passes some of it out. SMH She is not listening at all to this guy and won't ever change her ways. I can't understand why so many people love this woman at all. She disgusts me more and more too. 

In the coming up this season stuff, why is Lizzie and her family on here? We have never once seen her with them before. Just with Andrew when they were in LA. I am hoping we don't see Andrew as it is too. Why is it Mary feels she needs to take scumbag Jeremiah and Carmela on a honeymoon? Of all places Vegas....seems she just wanted to go along so she could gamble. Which how stupid is Mary if she is gambling her money away.....does she think that if something happens she can just go live with Abe and Rebecca or does she already since she isn't allowed to live in an Amish community. Does she even love and miss her husband at all? It just never seems like it with how she behaves. The scene with strippers is just gross....eeeeewww

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

I recall Abe saying something about the truck needing repairs and that they took out a home equity loan to do so.  That assumes that they own the house they're living in.

I remember the exact same thing. And, yeah, they must have bought the house and have enough equity to be able to borrow against it. If so, that's not a bad plan since those loans usually have very low interest rates (we refinanced our house to pay for my master's degree at a rate much lower than student loans or any other source).

3 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

I can't imagine why on earth he'd be so against his wife working outside the home (or getting a GED for better opportunity).

It's not about money or anything practical. It's cultural. They were brought up in a system in which women were oppressed and only allowed to be homemakers. Men ("real men") did all the work to provide for the family. So having Rebecca work outside the home would mean that Abe is less of a man.

Having these beliefs drilled into them since birth, it can be very difficult to change their mindset even after physically moving out of the culture. Rebecca never really embraced the Amish community so she's a bit more progressive in her thinking.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

Rebecca is probably in reality a Rhodes Scholar and an accomplished author with a desire to be the next Senator from Pennsylvania ....  hahahaha

Me thinks you've been hanging out around the Return to Amish characters. It's beginning to affect your brain. ?

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

I recall Abe saying something about the truck needing repairs and that they took out a home equity loan to do so.  That assumes that they own the house they're living in.  I can't imagine why on earth he'd be so against his wife working outside the home (or getting a GED for better opportunity).  They presumably (if any of what they say is true) have a mortgage and a home equity loan to pay.  Plus they have two children to raise.  Kids aren't cheap.  I guess he's just the product of his upbringing with stringent gender roles.

I'm really beginning to wonder about Sabrina.  I think she really may be a bit mentally slow.  If she's clean, then that's not drug haze, and I don't think she abused drugs long enough to get the drug addled brain, but that's what she sounds like when she speaks.  

I hope she's on Norplant or something before she's knocked up yet again.  I could see her employing the logic that she would just keep on having kid after kid if DFS keeps taking them away.  

Agree, the whole thing with Abe is being played up that he believes they each have a role to play and these are it. I do have to say the scenes of her with the 2 girls was sweet. They are a couple of cuties!

Sabrina will never use birth control. Besides that and her drug issues probably wouldn't mix well so she would still end up knocked up again the way she is going. Sadly, I can see her doing that and keep having more to try to keep one with her. I would hope she wouldn't though but there are those out there like that. 

4 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

And completely scripted... In real life, these folks would carry on with their totally humdrum, boring lives and no one wants to see that.... I imagine between takes, they all retire to the PS4 and Netflix till the director says 'Action'....

I agree with you on the scripted part and them more than likely being humdrum. I think its why we end up with them fighting over stupid stuff like a GED. LOL at the last part. Yet I do hope she is able to get her GED and more of an education. Its not a bad thing she wants to do so. She will just have to take classes they have for GED to help her out and go from there. Hopefully finding out she doesn't have the education she thought she did doesn't make her think twice though. It also shows us where they are in teaching the Amish. So some of her education comes out to around 8th grade and some more 4th grade. That is terrible. 

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

This counselor that Sabrina is seeing....is he for real? The whole "worthy friend" crap he spewed....really dude? Maybe get she is living in lala land and playing up her victim role.

Keep in mind that counselors are required by law to maintain confidentiality. Yes, the patient can sign a legal form giving the counselor the legal right to break confidentiality, but that may be restricted to not include more personal and private matters. So we have no way of knowing what else was said in their therapy session. Most sessions usually last 50 minutes and we only saw maybe one minute of it.

Moreover, I suspect what we saw was merely scripted acting. They may have had a real therapy session, but that was likely not filmed. Most patients find it very difficult to speak openly about truly personal issues while being recorded (hence, the reason confidentiality is such a vital part of therapy).

He wouldn't have known she lost Oakley? I would think she would have still be seeing a counselor after getting custody the first time. Which makes me even question more if he is for real or not or if this is an "actor" playing the part with his little script.

The counselor would only know that Sabrina lost Oakley if Sabrina told him. From what I gathered, Sabrina had not been in to see him for quite some time. Counselors wait for patients to make an appointment to see them; they don't call the patients to come in. Unfortunately, patients will sometimes just stop coming without explanation, leaving the counselor to not know if the patient changed therapists, moved away, or died.

Why was this lady going over birth with her when she has had a child?

I believe her first child was born by cesarean section so Sabrina would be unfamiliar with a vaginal birth. But even if her first child was a vaginal birth, it is wise for any medical professional (term used loosely in this context) to go over all of their educational information to be sure to cover any gaps of knowledge the patient may have. They cannot count on their previous childbirth experience to have explained everything thoroughly.

Where was Carmela's kids during her bouncing all over to the fairs selling donuts?

Remember, Jeremiah is a step-grandfather. That would indicate that Carmela's children are adults now.

Maybe they were busy making babies while she was selling donuts? ?

22 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

I do have to say the scenes of her with the 2 girls was sweet. They are a couple of cuties!

Yes, yes, yes! I thought they were adorable!

I also like that they are not exploiting the children by having them be part of the drama.

Edited by Complexity
  • Love 1

Rebecca could be a dental technician with far less investment.  My husband's late wife was one, had no college, and her job was fitting and building dentures.  Rebecca could eventually do that but much sooner than doing eight years of schooling and achieve her goal of helping people,like her and Abe that need this service.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Complexity said:

Keep in mind that counselors are required by law to maintain confidentiality. Yes, the patient can sign a legal form giving the counselor the legal right to break confidentiality, but that may be restricted to not include more personal and private matters. So we have no way of knowing what else was said in their therapy session. Most sessions usually last 50 minutes and we only saw maybe one minute of it.

Moreover, I suspect what we saw was merely scripted acting. They may have had a real therapy session, but that was likely not filmed. Most patients find it very difficult to speak openly about truly personal issues while being recorded (hence, the reason confidentiality is such a vital part of therapy).

The counselor would only know that Sabrina lost Oakley if Sabrina told him. From what I gathered, Sabrina had not been in to see him for quite some time. Counselors wait for patients to make an appointment to see them; they don't call the patients to come in. Unfortunately, patients will sometimes just stop coming without explanation, leaving the counselor to not know if the patient changed therapists, moved away, or died.

I believe her first child was born by cesarean section so Sabrina would be unfamiliar with a vaginal birth. But even if her first child was a vaginal birth, it is wise for any medical professional (term used loosely in this context) to go over all of their educational information to be sure to cover any gaps of knowledge the patient may have. They cannot count on their previous childbirth experience to have explained everything thoroughly.

Remember, Jeremiah is a step-grandfather. That would indicate that Carmela's children are adults now.

Maybe they were busy making babies while she was selling donuts? ?

Yes, yes, yes! I thought they were adorable!

I also like that they are not exploiting the children by having them be part of the drama.

First, agree the kids aren't part of the drama in aside from Sabrina and her issues (thankfully cameras aren't on Oakley). When we see Abe and Rebecca's girls they are have some sweet moments with them. No drama. 

Carmela's kids are not all adults. I think the oldest was still not quite one yet when he had his child if I remember right but the others are all not near being adults. They showed them last season. Each one looked like he came from a different father. LOL at the babies/donuts. Jeremiah is really show his true colors more and more though with every word he says to anyone. He is someone that I don't even know if anyone can help him at this point unless he truly wanted it but I doubt he realizes the issues he really has going on. 

I don't think Sabrina had a c-section with the first but even if she had she would still have known what goes on and talked about it. Remember her lovely dumb comments and questions on it? If she was asking her doctor at the time stuff she would have been given all the answers and some. As for her therapist I know we would never see it all and what was hopefully really said and not the bs we see on tv but if he is the way he has been on tv with enabling her victim playing that does her no good. I would think he might have been court ordered for her and if he was it would have been that she had to go or it would have also cost her custody. I can't imagine a court only ordering her to keep the ex/dad away from Oakley unless it was a scheduled supervised visit only. She probably had to undergo random drug tests, counseling and parenting classes. As well as job and place to live. I would hope there was CPS visits as well during the time she had Oakley. That whole situation is just so damn sad for those kids. Its sad that she has played each time now out on tv and gave birth to both that way (I am sure she will be having the 2nd one on it). That I find disgusting. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

Carmela's kids are not all adults. I think the oldest was still not quite one yet when he had his child if I remember right...

Oh, please tell me that was a typo! LOL! ?

...but the others are all not near being adults. They showed them last season.

Okay, I couldn't remember. Thanks for the info. ?

Jeremiah is really show his true colors more and more though with every word he says to anyone. He is someone that I don't even know if anyone can help him at this point unless he truly wanted it but I doubt he realizes the issues he really has going on.

Many people don't realize their own issues. It's one reason for having a therapist—to help you see your own blind spots. When you grow up in an environment in which a certain behavior is allowed (and maybe even modeled by others), the behavior seems normal to you. It is very hard to see how it looks to others.

And, yeah, people must be internally motivated to change for therapy to be successful. That's because the therapist isn't the one who does the work; the patient does it. This is why mandated therapy is rarely very successful.

I don't think Sabrina had a c-section with the first but even if she had she would still have known what goes on and talked about it. Remember her lovely dumb comments and questions on it? If she was asking her doctor at the time stuff she would have been given all the answers and some.

I remember she asked some really unimaginable questions. I believed her extreme ignorance and misinformation was scripted, but if not, then she may not have even had the capacity to comprehend any of her doctor's answers. But who knows. I would rather err on the side that she be given a repeat of information she already knew than to not get the information at all.

As for her therapist I know we would never see it all and what was hopefully really said and not the bs we see on tv but if he is the way he has been on tv with enabling her victim playing that does her no good.

One of the most important aspects of good therapy is to form a therapeutic relationship with the patient. That means learning to empathize with their internal psychological world as they experience it (not as you believe it should be). By forming that relationship, the patient is more receptive to listening to new and opposing view points. Without that relationship, the patient will often become defensive, shut down, and stop therapy. Basically, you start where the patient is and then move them forward with you once you have earned their trust.

Further, what we may have seen was the counselor mirroring back what Sabrina said and felt to be sure she knew he understood her. This technique is very different from confronting a patient's cognitive distortion or irrational thinking.

I would think he might have been court ordered for her and if he was it would have been that she had to go or it would have also cost her custody. I can't imagine a court only ordering her to keep the ex/dad away from Oakley unless it was a scheduled supervised visit only. She probably had to undergo random drug tests, counseling and parenting classes. As well as job and place to live. I would hope there was CPS visits as well during the time she had Oakley. That whole situation is just so damn sad for those kids. Its sad that she has played each time now out on tv and gave birth to both that way (I am sure she will be having the 2nd one on it). That I find disgusting. 

I honestly have no idea what CPS required her to do. All the things you mentioned sound reasonable, but CPS is way understaffed and underfunded so I don't know how well they can follow up on her. I think they are more reactive (respond to reported violations) than proactive (make routine checkup visits). The way I envision it is they took the kids, gave her a paper with a list of requirements that she follow, took a minute or two to explain them to her and have her sign it, and let her walk away. She may be required to come in at regular intervals for drug tests and to show proof of her doing any of the requirements (e.g., letter from the counselor of the dates she came for therapy, lease proving she has a home, paycheck showing she's working). When her court date arrives, she either has met the requirements or not. If she has, she can then get her kids back. If not, they're gone. Whether she can have any more chances, I don't know.

But I agree with you completely that the ones who are suffering are her children.

Edited by Complexity
  • Love 3