Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Sabrosito

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Has anyone noticed any code, anagrams, etc. in the season 3 episode titles?

Much, like season 2, they seem to be giving the episodes sort of odd and obscure titles.  I think there is probably a reason for this.

1) Mabel

2) Witness

3) Sunk Costs

4) Sabrosito 

5) Chicanery

6) Off Brand

7) Expenses

8) Slip

9) Fall

10) Lantern

The season finale is lantern?  Interesting -- actually all of the last five titles seem quite interesting.

7 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I could see a scenario where Lyle stumbles over the drug operation and has to choose whether to join it or be killed.

I could also see Hector's goons killing him when he stands up to them or to send a message to Gus and this being what triggers Gus to get Mike to do whatever is done to Hector to turn him into an invalid. 

I thought the same thing -- about Hector possibly killing Lyle.  I think that's why we saw the interaction between Lyle and Hector.  We were supposed to see that Lyle was already getting on Hector's nerves, so Hector will not think twice about taking him out just to send a message to Gus.  Lyle's head could end up on a turtle at some point.  

Spoiler

I wonder if we will be treated to a Danny Trejo cameo at some point down the line?

Or... Gus could send Lyle off to another restaurant.  Or... somehow Lyle (who will probably poke around further) could stumble upon some information in the back office, and Gus catches Lyle nosing around and has to take care of him later on.

But I think that Hector's team harming Lyle seems very likely.

I agree with all comments about the amazing cinematography on this show (and of course on BB too).  It really serves to set a mood and tone.  The desert landscape they have to frequently film in is stunning and dramatic, but even the pool scene at Eladio's house was fantastically shot.  The contrast of the colors of the bright blue sky, the pink flowers, the pool and the sunlight was so striking.

• Love 4

I'm a little surprised at the level of an active role Kim has taken in the effort to help Jimmy's case.  While in the short term it's encouraging for Jimmy and helping him get through the emotional fallout he's feeling, I feel it's going to lead to trouble.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I'm a little surprised at the level of an active role Kim has taken in the effort to help Jimmy's case.  While in the short term it's encouraging for Jimmy and helping him get through the emotional fallout he's feeling, I feel it's going to lead to trouble.

Good point.  Kim has gone from being uptight about Jimmy fabricating squat cobbler videos to aiding and abetting to Mike intruding in Chuck's house under false pretenses.  

• Love 1

I think (hope, really) that Kim ends up doing a couple years in federal prison. That way we'll know she is alive during the BB years. Maybe even take part in a post-BB continuation of BCS. 

• Love 1

That reminds me of Jimmy's love sick look he gave Kim when she was leaning over him to tell him she found the handyman place. No matter how much trouble he's in, he still has time to stop and moon over her a little bit.  I think she loves him, too, which would explain why she tossed away all her misgivings the minute Jimmy got in real trouble.  I just think it's stronger with Jimmy and it makes me sort of sad for him.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, scenario said:

Gus has three jobs, run a restaurant, be a pillar of the community and drug lord. He is a perfectionist. He does all three jobs very well. He never commits any crimes or annoys anyone without good reason. I like Gus even though if I knew him in real life and know what I know, I'd stay as far away from him as possible.

Gus should be teaching MBA courses at Wharton.  He's a natural CEO.  I'm in HR and love to watch how he handles his "employees" legitimate and otherwise (except for the "Box Cutter" episode of BB).  Recruiting a talented employee can be difficult, but Gus handled Mike like a champ.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

My theory is that Howard might be setting up Chuck to be humiliated at the hearing and have a mental breakdown, so he can have him committed.  I assume Chuck has taken steps to make sure Jimmy will never have any sort of guardianship over him, and since he has no other family or friends, Howard would be the logical choice for Chuck to appoint to be his medical proxy/conservator.  If Howard is put in charge of Chuck's affairs while he is institutionalized, he could probably take control of HHM without having to buy Chuck out.  

Excellent, excellent theory! And I wouldn't be surprised at all. Howard has become a favorite for me to watch, because I never really know just what his angle is. But I haven't forgotten how strongly Jimmy felt that Howard wanted to do everything possible to avoid buying Chuck out. And all the chicanery that Chuck has been up to lately seems like something Howard would want to avoid. Unless.....

• Love 2

Hector is a drug lord who rules by fear and nothing else. He is effective in inducing fear in his enemies and his friends. The problem with this path is that it tends to produce only yes men. It limits you. He is also very emotional and creates unnecessary enemies. I don't like him because he is taking unnecessary risks. 

Perfect assessment of Hector.  You can get a lot of mileage by ruling from fear but if those who follow you don't care about you in some way, that is likely going to bite you in the ass eventually. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Excellent, excellent theory! And I wouldn't be surprised at all. Howard has become a favorite for me to watch, because I never really know just what his angle is. But I haven't forgotten how strongly Jimmy felt that Howard wanted to do everything possible to avoid buying Chuck out. And all the chicanery that Chuck has been up to lately seems like something Howard would want to avoid. Unless.....

Bottom line, Chuck still has a financial stake in HHM.  Howard could do a lot if he were left in sole control, but it will take serious, serious chicanery to marginalize Chuck's financial interest.  It's possible I suppose if Chuck is neutralized and there is no Jimmy to ride to his rescue -- and would indeed be great irony.   

• Love 1

Loved seeing the different management styles of Gus and Hector. I found myself going through this episode saying, "dead, also dead, they're dead too" whenever new people came on the screen.

Lyle should have been wearing a red shirt.

If Kim makes it through this still being able to practice law, it will be a miracle.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Good question!  I want to say that it was Walter that came up with the idea, after Mike did the recon of the PD station where the footage was kept?

No, I'm pretty sure Jesse came up with the magnet idea. I seem to remember Mike and Walt arguing a bunch and Jesse kept saying, "what about a magnet" in the background, until he got loud enough for them to notice. Didn't Jesse kind of mastermind the train caper as well? I thought he was much smarter than Walt (or anyone else) would ever give him credit for. 

2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

I think that the Chuckster deals in cash only.

He's pretty much house bound and there are really no checks to write - other than a water/sewer bill and what else?

This was my impression as well. He paid Jimmy in season one in cash. Granted it wasn't much money, but I seem to remember him reaching into something that held quite a few bills. I'd imagine cash would just be easier for someone averse to electricity and electronics. 

He doesn't want to kill Lyle but if Lyle stumbles across a bunch of evidence like piles of drugs, he's now in the game whether he wants to be or not. 

Exactly. Lyle seemed different than the other employees, in that he actually wanted to know what had gone down. Or was at least brave enough to ASK. Fring will remember that. Hopefully Lyle lets his curiosity die right then and there. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Bottom line, Chuck still has a financial stake in HHM.  Howard could do a lot if he were left in sole control, but it will take serious, serious chicanery to marginalize Chuck's financial interest.  It's possible I suppose if Chuck is neutralized and there is no Jimmy to ride to his rescue -- and would indeed be great irony.   

If Howard becomes Chuck's conservator, he would have control over Chuck's finances and  he could keep Chuck invested in the firm while Chuck is institutionalized.  He wouldn't need to steal from Chuck, just keep his interest in the firm intact for the time being.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Alternate theory: Lyle is an undercover DEA agent or APD officer.  We know from the "Better Call Saul" episode of Breaking Bad that the APD academy "hires them right out of the womb."

That is why he was both so brave and so nosy.  Dude, I so smell bacon! :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 4
(edited)
48 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

No, I'm pretty sure Jesse came up with the magnet idea. I seem to remember Mike and Walt arguing a bunch and Jesse kept saying, "what about a magnet" in the background, until he got loud enough for them to notice. Didn't Jesse kind of mastermind the train caper as well? I thought he was much smarter than Walt (or anyone else) would ever give him credit for. 

Yes - Jessie said "magnet" three or four times while Walt and Mike were arguing.  Then when the test worked Jessie said "Yeah!  MAGNET BITCHES!!!"

Quick question - I cannot remember the good Samaritan getting killed which is fueling Mikes desire to hurt Hector.  When did that happen?  Which episode?  It sucks getting old...

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ChipBach said:

Yes - Jessie said "magnet" three or four times while Walt and Mike were arguing.  Then when the test worked Jessie said "Yeah!  MAGNET BITCHES!!!"

Quick question - I cannot remember the good Samaritan getting killed which is fueling Mikes desire to hurt Hector.  When did that happen?  Which episode?  It sucks getting old...

The Good Samaritan was killed off camera.  Nacho told Mike about it in 209 "Nailed". 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bannon said:

Oh, the house is illegal to occupy, if the city were made aware of it. That's actually a plot hole, given the police saw the condition of the home back in season 1. They almost certainly would have called the city's code compliance department. I'll just pretend the police visit didn't happen. 

(edit) Then again, I know Albuquerque, and it is completely credible that a influential attorney could convince the city's code compliance department to ignore it, and Chuck's a big enough hypocrite to to pull strings. Coud be another pitfall with the Bar Association, however.

Not Chuck, Howard.  In that first season episode when Jimmy, Kim, and Howard are standing around the hospital arguing about the doctor's recommendation for a 30-day commitment, Howard mentions that he's "talked to the DA" and made some calls to make sure Chuck doesn't face any kind of legal consequences or commitment as a result of the police visit.   It's probably not a stretch to think that includes heading off any problems with city code compliance even though the doctor raised that issue as well. 

Edit to add I have a feeling we're about to find out if Chuck has updated his will, power of attorney, or whatever his official documents might be since he and Jimmy went to full out war on each other.  (I'm not going to pretend I know how these things work between adults.)  We know Jimmy was still able to assume legal guardianship as recently as the copy shop incident.   In the previously mentioned police visit that resulted in Chuck's hospitalization, Jimmy makes it clear to Howard then that if he ends up as Chuck's guardian, he'll be expecting a buyout from HHM.  But if Chuck has designated Howard, suddenly Howard is in the driver's seat to get rid of the huge pain in the ass that catering to Chuck has to be once and for all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Either that or she ends up going back to work for HHM when chuck will be gone.  

I can't remember if it was shown, or implied, that he played it for Howard. For some reason I feel that it was, but I can't remember. 

And, obviously, Ernesto heard a snippet. 

To get real nick-picky if Chuck had paid by check he would have made it out to the business not Mike so Mike could not have cashed it and in either case cash/check he would have insisted on getting a printed bill/receipt to use as evidence as to the damages.

• Love 1

First off, I read most of the comments and really don't have much to add for analysis since most of y'all beat me to it.

My only contrarian view is with the pacing.  I loved the first three episodes taking their time.  BB was always about the slow burn, and it works really well here too.  Perhaps it's just a matter of taste, but I feel taking the time to show the audience things is rewarding.  This is especially true when one of your main characters doesn't like to talk very much.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, jww said:

To get real nick-picky if Chuck had paid by check he would have made it out to the business not Mike so Mike could not have cashed it and in either case cash/check he would have insisted on getting a printed bill/receipt to use as evidence as to the damages.

Knowing Mike, he would have a receipt on company stationary all ready to give to Chuck. He'll have left it on a table to be sure his fingerprints weren't on it if it ever came to that. 

3 hours ago, Tikichick said:

The season finale is lantern?  Interesting -- actually all of the last five titles seem quite interesting.

I was thinking the same thing. Made me think of the Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton movie about the Hatfields and the McCoys. Paxton's character is burning some papers and catches himself on fire. 

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That reminds me of Jimmy's love sick look he gave Kim when she was leaning over him to tell him she found the handyman place. No matter how much trouble he's in, he still has time to stop and moon over her a little bit.  I think she loves him, too, which would explain why she tossed away all her misgivings the minute Jimmy got in real trouble.  I just think it's stronger with Jimmy and it makes me sort of sad for him.

They have an interesting relationship.  They sure don't have a conventional romance, it's not really friends with benefits.  I think they love each other, it's clear with Jimmy and I think Kim has gone far out on a limb now so much so that she must love him.  They definitely have mutual loyalty that goes pretty deep.  I can't help but wish that his loyalty hadn't lead him to do the document fraud.  She didn't need that, she didn't want that, and now she's trying to rescue him.  Very sad. 

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Exactly. Lyle seemed different than the other employees, in that he actually wanted to know what had gone down. Or was at least brave enough to ASK. Fring will remember that. Hopefully Lyle lets his curiosity die right then and there. 

Gus has to get trusted underlings somewhere.  Maybe he's grooming this guy.  A couple of the Hispanic employees looked like they weren't buying the whole story, but this guy Lyle was either clueless or pretending to be. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, jww said:

In the episode when Giselle and Viktor with a K scammed the guy in the bar into writing them a check for $10,000 to Ice Station Zebra Associates, Jimmy told Kim that he might know a guy who could cash it for her, but she wanted to keep it as a souvenier. 

So, Jimmy's check cashing guy probably could have cashed Chuck's check.

2 hours ago, revbfc said:

First off, I read most of the comments and really don't have much to add for analysis since most of y'all beat me to it.

My only contrarian view is with the pacing.  I loved the first three episodes taking their time.  BB was always about the slow burn, and it works really well here too.  Perhaps it's just a matter of taste, but I feel taking the time to show the audience things is rewarding.  This is especially true when one of your main characters doesn't like to talk very much.

I thought the pacing in the previous episodes was great. I love that this show doesn't do what so many others indulge in, in order to move the plot along more quickly, which is to make the characters temporarily, conveniently, stupid, as a form of shortcut.  It takes time to show how people try to solve conflicts/problems, whether they are successful or not.

• Love 2

I havnt read all the comments here yet, but here are my first thoughts...I thought it was awesome, best episode yet! It was still slow and precise, but it felt like a lot was still happening, and it was super full of tension and atmosphere.

I laughed my head off when Mike started scaring Chuck with the nail gun. I swear, Chuck is such a smug asshole, I want to follow him around with my phone out, blasting that Keyboard Cat video for weeks on end. That thought makes me smile. I swear, of course all he can do after Jimmy's very sad, honest apology, was haggle for a few extra bucks, just to prove how Totally Right he is about Everything. I thought apology was really interesting, but it felt like, while he was being sincere in his apology (because he still loves Chuck, no matter what), he was also begging Chuck to apologize to him as well, or at least throw him some kind of bone to say he still cares about him, and all he gets his smug contempt from Chuck.

It was awesome seeing a fully functioning Hector and Don Eladio back again, plus, of course, Gus. Hector is such a prick, that I still find myself rooting for Gus over him. I know what Gus really is, and he's an awful person, but Hector is also a terrible person, and also, just an asshole. I really enjoyed seeing him so pissed off at the pool. It was like watching Chuck squirming about minor power tools. I know Chuck isn't anywhere near Hector in terms of evil, but its always nice to see pricks getting twitchy.

That scene in the restaunt with Hector was super intense. I was half convinced that poor Lyle was dead meat. I loved a couple of customers heading for the hills when they picked up on the mood. I guess eventually everyone did, because by the time Gus got there, everyone was gone except the employees. Or maybe Hector kicked everyone out. What a dick. Really, I can totally see why people are so loyal to Gus, and he is considered a great guy and a pillar of his community. When he was giving his whole speech about refusing to pay off criminals, even I was about to start applauding, and I totally know what his deal is! I can appreciate that he cares about his "civilian" employees, at least in that he doesn't want his illegal business to interfere with his legitimate business. I always felt like, to Gus, his legit business wasn't just a front, it was something that was important to him, and that he was proud of, just as much as he was proud of his criminal enterprise. The man is Type A to the extreme.

• Love 11

Made me think of the Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton movie about the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Jimmy:  "I once convinced a woman I was Kevin Costner.  It worked because I believed it."

I laughed my head off when Mike started scaring Chuck with the nail gun

It wasn't a nail gun.  It was a battery-powered electric drill.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I havnt read all the comments here yet, but here are my first thoughts...I thought it was awesome, best episode yet! It was still slow and precise, but it felt like a lot was still happening, and it was super full of tension and atmosphere.

I laughed my head off when Mike started scaring Chuck with the nail gun. I swear, Chuck is such a smug asshole, I want to follow him around with my phone out, blasting that Keyboard Cat video for weeks on end. That thought makes me smile. I swear, of course all he can do after Jimmy's very sad, honest apology, was haggle for a few extra bucks, just to prove how Totally Right he is about Everything. I thought apology was really interesting, but it felt like, while he was being sincere in his apology (because he still loves Chuck, no matter what), he was also begging Chuck to apologize to him as well, or at least throw him some kind of bone to say he still cares about him, and all he gets his smug contempt from Chuck.

It was awesome seeing a fully functioning Hector and Don Eladio back again, plus, of course, Gus. Hector is such a prick, that I still find myself rooting for Gus over him. I know what Gus really is, and he's an awful person, but Hector is also a terrible person, and also, just an asshole. I really enjoyed seeing him so pissed off at the pool. It was like watching Chuck squirming about minor power tools. I know Chuck isn't anywhere near Hector in terms of evil, but its always nice to see pricks getting twitchy.

That scene in the restaunt with Hector was super intense. I was half convinced that poor Lyle was dead meat. I loved a couple of customers heading for the hills when they picked up on the mood. I guess eventually everyone did, because by the time Gus got there, everyone was gone except the employees. Or maybe Hector kicked everyone out. What a dick. Really, I can totally see why people are so loyal to Gus, and he is considered a great guy and a pillar of his community. When he was giving his whole speech about refusing to pay off criminals, even I was about to start applauding, and I totally know what his deal is! I can appreciate that he cares about his "civilian" employees, at least in that he doesn't want his illegal business to interfere with his legitimate business. I always felt like, to Gus, his legit business wasn't just a front, it was something that was important to him, and that he was proud of, just as much as he was proud of his criminal enterprise. The man is Type A to the extreme.

The difference between Gus and Hector is that Gus would never ever kill or hurt one of his legit employees for fun or in anger. I could see Hector beating someone up or even killing a legit employee because they burned a taco. Hector rules by fear. Gus only rules by fear when he has to. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

I admit I was only half paying attention to this episode -- what was the point of Mike taking those pictures -- is Jimmy planning on using them in the hearing to show Chuck is full of BS, and if so, how?

I don't think we know quite yet. 

20 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

A friend of mine is finding the show to be very slow this season, even this past episode, and I wonder if some of that is because she never watched Breaking Bad (oh, the sacrilege!). I tried to watch this episode through her eyes and I can see how it might be a little boring and hard to follow.

I do think having Breaking Bad knowledge lends some context to the Gus/Mike portion of the story.  (Well both sides of the story but we're mid-Jimmy's story whereas who Mike and Gus become is just beginning. 

I don't think it's slow but I do admit to feeling a bit frustrated at the end of this episode and it's because it felt like half an episode even though it was an hour long.  The writers are doing a great job of making it feel like Gus/Mike are part of the same show as Jimmy/Chuck even though it's mostly Mike who overlaps.  But they're still pacing the stories as if Gus/Mike were in their own one hour drama and Jimmy/Chuck are in another.  Therefore, I felt like I got two good halves of an episode but wished I had the next episode.  I wonder if a more alternating structure (1 week mostly with the cartel and 1 week mostly with Jimmy/Chuck) would work better than halfsies.

12 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Has anyone noticed any code, anagrams, etc. in the season 3 episode titles?

The fact that the audience decoded their "Fring's back" code pretty quickly has made them gunshy.  I think they got away with it a bit easier in Breaking Bad Season 2 because the secret code wasn't part of a previous story but rather was revealed in that season. So they could go there, I guess, but we'll have nothing that quite tips the hat like S2 of BCS.

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I can't remember if it was shown, or implied, that he played it for Howard. For some reason I feel that it was, but I can't remember.

Chuck invited Howard over to his house and they were discussing the tape after Howard had listened to it.  Howard didn't know what they could do with it and that's when Chuck told him his plan.

• Love 1
(edited)

In "Breaking Bad," I believe there were very few examples of Hector speaking (only in flashbacks, because he was already incapacitated and using the bell when we first met him, right?) And Mark Margolis is not a Spanish speaker, so I thought it might be a challenge for him to have a lot of dialog in Spanish, but I think he acquitted himself fairly well -- at least better than when he attempted to portray a native-born Greek speaker in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2."

And speaking of Greek, why is Don Eladio "The Winking Greek?" Is he supposed to be of Greek descent?

Edited by J-Man

When the DA held this PPD conference with Chuck, Howard, Kim and Jimmy, she was very solicitous about Chuck's state of mind and wellbeing regarding electricity and cell phones. Howard first came in and shut all the lights, then the DA asked if everything was suitable for Chuck's needs, and to let her know if Chuck became uncomfortable  But when Howard and Chuck are talking to Kim in the hallway, immediately after the conference after Jimmy has stomped off, the three of them stood in the fluorescently lit hallway while they discussed the copy of the tape. Chuck didn't seem to be in "pain," didn't try to cover himself up,and only briefly glanced up at the lights when he was leaving. This was all just moments after the lights-out meeting.  What does this mean? If I were Kim, I would have wanted to immediately summon the DA into the hallway to show her the variability that is Chuck.

• Love 7
(edited)

Lyle is such a gringo in the midst of a cartel. He's sort of a naive version of Chuck in that he takes his position as manager of a fast food joint way too seriously. But he's also reminiscent of Jesse Plemmons' character in Breaking Bad. I'm not sure if I'd rather see him break bad or be broken.

Likewise, when Kim was uncovering the existence of a backup tape, I immediately thought: Magnets! But then having it played in court as evidence of Chuck's mental illness and Jimmy's willingness to do or say anything to soothe his brother is also a potentially satisfying fate for the tape.

Did anyone else wonder if DA Hay might wind up siding with Jimmy in the end? Or does she not appear when they go before the bar?

Edited by shapeshifter
On 5/1/2017 at 11:55 PM, LittleIggy said:

I've loved Mark Margolis since The Equalizer, Giancarlo Esposito since School Daze, and Jonathan Banks since Wiseguy so I thought this episode was awesome.

Salud!

Steven Bauer's from Wiseguy too -- Ken Wahl's short-lived replacement.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, J-Man said:

In "Breaking Bad," I believe there were very few examples of Hector speaking (only in flashbacks, because he was already incapacitated and using the bell when we first met him, right?) And Mark Margolis is not a Spanish speaker, so I thought it might be a challenge for him to have a lot of dialog in Spanish, but I think he acquitted himself fairly well -- at least better than when he attempted to portray a native-born Greek speaker in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2."

I didn't know that, it's interesting.  I was wondering about his Spanish, it was certainly different than Eladio's, but I was attributing it to maybe they were from different regions of Mexico.  It makes sense to know he is a non-native speaker.  I was glad he wasn't speaking ultra-fast because I was trying to understand without subtitles. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The more I think about it, the more I think Hector's approach to Gus was incredibly reckless and unprofessional.

When they first arrived at LPH, I assumed that Hector suspected Gus was involved in the drugs in his truck being discovered by the Border Patrol.  If that had been the case, his strong arm approach would have made a little more sense.

But, Hector had no reason to believe Gus was involved and gave no indication that he suspected him.

So, here is a guy whose company's truck has been seized by the BP for drugs.  The DEA is all over his front business and obviously going to be watching him.

Yet, he takes 2 of his goons to LPH and basically takes over the restaurant, first holding the customers hostage and then kicking them out.  Doesn't he realize this could bring unwanted attention from law enforcement?

I could understand if he and his goons just sat in the store all day, looking scarey and waiting for Gus, like Marco and Leonel did.  But, Hector was way too obvious.

Why bring attention on himself and his new mule?

He could have simply contacted Gus and arranged a meeting.

Hector is not only a violent, filthy scumbag, he is a terrible drug dealer.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 7

Great episode! Worlds are starting to converge, finally. My only sadness is they did not give us the scene where Jimmy convinces Mike to take a job photographing the home of his lunatic brother. Now that would have been priceless.

Parenthetically .. gotta say I Iove ALL scenes with Jonathan Banks. There is this great way he delivers his lines, an almost singsong, world-weary quality to them. And, for a LONG LONG ago shout-out ... I'm glad to see OCB agent Frank McPike doing well :)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'll gladly come run the drive thru for you, especially if Nacho will stop in once in while and just stand there and look handsome.

I know right????? Nacho is extremely off-brand for me, but those eyes. Damn.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

If Howard becomes Chuck's conservator, he would have control over Chuck's finances and  he could keep Chuck invested in the firm while Chuck is institutionalized.  He wouldn't need to steal from Chuck, just keep his interest in the firm intact for the time being.  

None of which changes anything I said.  Quite sure I understand the issues of guardianships and conservatorships rather thoroughly.

Actually, Howard would be exposing himself to tremendous liability if he were to inappropriately compensate Chuck for his share of the firm while acting as his conservator.   It's potentially much more of a burden to have that kind of fiduciary relationship.  Of course one already exists by virtue of being partners in the firm together, but the liability would go up tremendously were he also conservator.

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I thought about this too. He looked similar to the cop in BB that drilled Badger before Saul came in. This also lends more credibility to no one calling the cops when Hector started acting up. Especially the people that had been allowed to leave if they saw that the employees were being "held up" in a way. 

As I thought about it more, I realized that in BB nobody (except Hank) ever suspected that Gus Fring was a drug kingpin, so it would seem unlikely that there was an undercover in LPH at this time.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Hector's approach to Gus was incredibly reckless and unprofessional.

When they first arrived at LPH, I assumed that Hector suspected Gus was involved in the drugs in his truck being discovered by the Border Patrol.  If that had been the case, his strong arm approach would have made a little more sense.

But, Hector had no reason to believe Gus was involved and gave no indication that he suspected him.

So, here is a guy whose company's truck has been seized by the BP for drugs.  The DEA is all over his front business and obviously going to be watching him.

Yet, he takes 2 of his goons to LPH and basically takes over the restaurant, first holding the customers hostage and then kicking them out.  Doesn't he realize this could bring unwanted attention from law enforcement?

I could understand if he and his goons just sat in the store all day, looking scarey and waiting for Gus, like Marco and Leonel did.  But, Hector was way too obvious.

Why bring attention on himself and his new mule?

He could have simply contacted Gus and arranged a meeting.

Hector is not only a violent, filthy scumbag, he is a terrible drug dealer.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the timeline, I thought that Gus' professionally packaged money delivery and LPH t-shirt was what tipped Hector that Gus was behind his supply line being cut off. Even if that happened earlier, he knows of Gus' activities and that Gus surely hates him.  As to being careless and cocky in the restaurant scene, Hector is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  But then none of them are as smart as they think they are.  They all end up dead by law enforcement or each other, even the brilliant Gus, Mike and Heisenberg.  They all seem to think they're going to avoid the fate of the ones that they kill off.  Only Jesse managed that, with a little help from Walter. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Arkay said:

When the DA held this PPD conference with Chuck, Howard, Kim and Jimmy, she was very solicitous about Chuck's state of mind and wellbeing regarding electricity and cell phones. Howard first came in and shut all the lights, then the DA asked if everything was suitable for Chuck's needs, and to let her know if Chuck became uncomfortable  But when Howard and Chuck are talking to Kim in the hallway, immediately after the conference after Jimmy has stomped off, the three of them stood in the fluorescently lit hallway while they discussed the copy of the tape. Chuck didn't seem to be in "pain," didn't try to cover himself up,and only briefly glanced up at the lights when he was leaving. This was all just moments after the lights-out meeting.  What does this mean? If I were Kim, I would have wanted to immediately summon the DA into the hallway to show her the variability that is Chuck.

I watch with subtitles and I noticed that the words were- whir, footsteps , elevator noises etc. I took it the same way. That there were noises all around and Chuckster was fine

• Love 1