Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Where Are They Now? Teretha & Chad

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

I wish the threads were combined - live during the show, and after. 

Anybody else notice that they had a cat while they were renting the apartment but when they hit the road, no cat?

Good eye! I did not notice the cat. And yes. I do wish the threads were combined. I never watch live, too many commercials!

• Love 1

Watching Teretha's original episode now. Oh I am a sick and twisted individual but actually learning more about her "journey" than last night's episode.

There's a scene at home right before her trip to Houston where folks are in a circle praying for her which is a wonderful thing IMHO. However, I couldn't help but giggle when the woman leading the prayer said that because God has already started the healing process in her--didn't giggle at that part, BTW --everyone would be "amazed" at how she would be when she returned.

Yeah, I'll bet they were, and yes I shamelessly laughed at that part.

Also, after being on an 800 calorie a day diet in Houston under Dr. Now's supervision, she lost 210 pounds in a few months; never said exactly how many months it was. For some reason they guesstimated her weight at about 800 pounds, not clear on why the bed scale wasn't sufficient. Ended up returning from her place in Houston to the hospital with dangerously high sugar levels as well as gaining 28 pounds in less than a month. Of course she claimed she was trying really hard to make progress. Ugh.

Funny how she was simultaneously saying how much she really wanted to get out if bed but how hard it was and how Dr. Now just didn't understand from the very beginning.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trees said:

Anybody else notice that they had a cat while they were renting the apartment but when they hit the road, no cat?

Yes & I noticed how much their son was interacting with the cat. I wondered what happened to it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trees said:

I wish the threads were combined - live during the show, and after. 

Yes, because I first watched the show, then read the live thread, and wished I could have replied to some.  (I know I can copy, but it gets out of hand if you want to reply to many.)

2 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Supersized episode one.  Anyone else watching?

Nope.  Will you report anything interesting to us please?

• Love 1

Geez, learning even more disturbing and sad facts about Teretha. The Supersized version pop-ups said that she had a pulmonary embolism in 2014 which, as I am sure most of everyone here knows, is a result of blood clots developing and traveling to her lungs because, guess why, not getting out of that damn bed! One would think that should be scary enough to try harder to walk or stand.

Also didn't know that her husband Derrick only has one leg because he had to have the other one amputated due to complications from diabetes. But she has no problem laying around thinking about standing or walking and wearing him in the ground.

It really is a miracle that both of them are still alive.

31 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Oops, just saw your post MrsClaus. Please let me know if you spot any new info I missed. Sometimes those pop-ups come and go so quickly, especially if I happen to look away for a moment.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarification.
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Chad apparently routinely drank a 12 pack of energy drinks a day?  Egads!

Yup.. OSM Dad's ex wife drinks that many Dr Pepper every day. It's amazing how that can take that much. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Yup (tho I left the house for a bit). I can't deal with just staring at the TV for the extra comments, tho. I have it on in the background while I do other stuff (like FB).

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Chad apparently routinely drank a 12 pack of energy drinks a day?  Egads!

I know, right? Amazed his heart didn't explode between his weight and the caffeine.

Also, regarding Teretha, one thing I have to cut her a bit of slack on is how painfully swollen her legs, and especially her feet, are. I especially wonder why the Hell she is always laying flat. I have problems with swelling in my legs and feet and have to elevate them daily so they should at least have her legs elevated as much as possible.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also didn't know that her husband Derrick only has one leg because he had to have the other one amputated due to complications from diabetes. But she has no problem laying around thinking about standing or walking and wearing him in the ground.

wow !    I feel so bad for him.  Not once does she ever say she wants to get better so she can help him, care for him.    Not one damn thing. It is always about her.

• Love 9

Awwwww, I am laughing and smiling cause they're showing him and his family on the road, and one pop-up said that the kids thought the best thing about Chad working was getting an allowance! Those two are so sweet.

Also, they seemed really happy and excited about seeing mountains and snow. My feeling is that Chad and his family probably did do quite a bit of sightseeing that just wasn't televised. I noticed too that the truck had bunk beds and a refrigerator.

Another motivator: his boss said he would fire him if he started gaining weight.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, they seemed really happy and excited about seeing mountains and snow.

I hope so.   I am just worried now for the son and his little cat.   I hope the cat is ok. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I hope so.   I am just worried now for the son and his little cat.   I hope the cat is ok. 

They probably asked someone to care for the cat while they were on the road trip. It would have been very hard to take the cat with them.

• Love 6

So Teretha has gastroparesis. That's too bad. It is my biggest fear as a diabetic because it makes it next to impossible to control your blood sugar, which leads to a bunch of other complications. 

Derrick's face is so full and puffy. He's not that overweight, so I assume it's part of the kidney failure for which he is receiving dialysis. I just want to tell these people to go whole food, plant based. Black diabetics are more likely to have kidney problems. My uncle was on dialysis for 2-3 years before amputations and sepsis took him. My mother is diabetic, but in good control (uncle wouldn't listen to the doctors). This stuff is serious and I don't mess with it. I'm vegetarian (mostly vegan) for the animals but also in the hopes that I don't wind up on dialysis. I've been diabetic 20 yrs and my kidneys are still fine (I get tested several times a year). I hope they stay that way.

And yeah, Chad looks a lot older. 

• Love 8

Every 600 pounder makes the same statement, eventually:  "I'm working so hard" or variations of that. No, no you are not working hard. You don't know the meaning of the words. Hard work is the work done by an attendant lifting your huge ass to clean up your mess. Hard work is what you've seen the nurses, LPNs, orderlies and everyone else caring for you do while you lay spread-eagled on your super-sized bed, complaining that nobody understands you. Ugh. 

• Love 23
14 minutes ago, MrsClaus said:

Teretha can put on her own socks and bathe in her bed since having rehab and physical therapy.

You know, as much of a complainer and excuse maker as she was, she is doing better and I do wish her and her husband well. One thing I noticed is that she was smiling more and her demeanor seemed brighter. One pop-up said that her husband Derrick describes her as a depressed eater. I think he's absolutely correct about that. A lot of the time we saw her with those dead eyes, head hanging down, and clasping her hands. I hope she follows up on therapy and gains more insight into her mental state.

Not everyone is going to have a dramatic, miraculous outcome like Brittani, Chad, and others. As long as she stays out of that damn bed she's got a chance for a better life.

Another interesting tidbit is that before she went to Houston she was diagnosed with gastroparesis which from what I briefly read causes the stomach to not properly break down food so it can easily move on to the intestines. Seems to be a rather strange condition to have for a morbidly obese person who doesn't appear to have a problem processing massive quantities of food.

As for Chad, very sad to see that as young as five he was struggling with his weight since he weighed 80 pounds at that age. How do parents allow their small child to get that overweight?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

wow !    I feel so bad for him.  Not once does she ever say she wants to get better so she can help him, care for him.    Not one damn thing. It is always about her.

Interesting Cherrio that they had to show that in a pop-up. Not once did we hear him complain about having to do all that he does for her on just one leg! Another pop-up said that she got a catheter so it wouldn't be so hard for him to clean her up by himself. I didn't know that you could just have a catheter inserted without a doctor saying it was medically necessary.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrsClaus said:

When Teretha was 12 she participated in the Miss Teen USA Pagent

What was she...the water boy?  (Get my bloomers ready, DC Gal!)

I'm watching Charity's story again and I'm so tired of hearing her say she's going to get her life back.  That seems to be the mantra of most of the ones featured on the show.  If they can be believed (and I don't really..) their lives have been so terrible, it makes me wonder why they want to "get my life back."  They should want to start a new chapter.  Ah, well, what do I know?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

As for Chad, very sad to see that as young as five he was struggling with his weight since he weighed 80 pounds at that age. How do parents allow their small child to get that overweight?

A lot of people think it's "baby fat" and they'll outgrow it. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

What was she...the water boy?  (Get my bloomers ready, DC Gal!)

I'm watching Charity's story again and I'm so tired of hearing her say she's going to get her life back.  That seems to be the mantra of most of the ones featured on the show.  If they can be believed (and I don't really..) their lives have been so terrible, it makes me wonder why they want to "get my life back."  They should want to start a new chapter.  Ah, well, what do I know?

Tee hee Miss Ruth you are most definitely in good company here!

Oh gosh, don't remember her, having a hard time picturing her in my head. As soon as I see a photo of her it'll probably all come back to me.

Never thought about it but you're right, a lot of them really didn't have any kind of amazing life before they became immobilized--I'm talking about both of you Steven ASSanti and James K!

Hey don't limit yourself to bloomers, we also have Speedos, unitards, thongs, etc., LOL!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Chad's voiceovers were remarkably repetitive, more than the usual fortune cookie stuff we hear each episode. Chad's seemed to be exclusively "I love my family. I want to provide for them" and  "I want to stay on track". Please, TLC, hire some new writers!

I caught up with the T & C  episode tonight.  One sentence I kept hearing over and over, which is now tilting me,  "I know I'm making good progress."  Wish I had a dollar for every time someone on this show says it.  Then they go see Dr. Now for their weigh-in,  nope, you didn't make any progress.  Bah....   

• Love 4

I mentioned earlier in the thread that Dr. Now is very inconsistent in his requirements, and how he didn't lay down the law with Teretha.  Charity is another example of this.  After losing 49 pounds in two months in the hospital, she was supposed to lose 40 pounds in one month, at home, in order to qualify for surgery.  She lost 18 pounds and he praised her by telling her that was enough to show him that she had her eating under control.  I don't remember the name, but another person was supposed to lose 40 pounds, and came up three pounds shy of the goal,  Dr.  Now required he/she lose the three pounds, plus the original 40 in the next month.  I know each patient is different, but that seems a little unfair.  It took poor Joe Wexler almost the entire year before he got surgery.

(Moderator:  If this is too far off-topic, please delete this post.)

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode because I saw 2 successes.  Chad did great and seemed to be a really good man.  Teretha was maddening at first, and I thought she would be another Paula, but damn if she didn't change.  There was some sort of switch that flipped in her, because the amount of anger in her was palpably less by the end.  I loved to see her smiling, and wanting to walk so she could play with her grandchildren.  It may take a long time, and I don't see her ever becoming a normal weight, but she could reach point where she might not need a walker which would be great progress.

• Love 3

I don't recall them mentioning where Chad and his wife met, however he was up/working/mobile until recently so while he was probably always an obese guy, nothing that would render him incapable of being a partner. Even compared to some other people I've seen Chad was moving a lot in the beginning. His voice overs were so repetitive but I think at least Chad is self aware enough to understand the burden his weight put on his family. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

he was up/working/mobile until recently so while he was probably always an obese guy

He was 80 lbs at the age of 5 (that's around twice the size of the average 5 year old). The show last night had a popup that said he was too large to find a suit or tuxedo to wear for his wedding. So he was definitely obese all his life and when he got married.

I think that makes it even harder for a person to lose weight and keep it off. He has been eating poorly his entire life so his new eating habits are completely foreign to him. Yet, he clearly wants to be a productive person and handle his responsibilities as a husband and father.

I applaud his success. It is definitely the result of his own internal motivation. I'll take that kind of person being repetitive any day over the non-stop excuses repeated by others on the show.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Pentwater said:

Every 600 pounder makes the same statement, eventually:  "I'm working so hard" or variations of that. No, no you are not working hard. You don't know the meaning of the words. Hard work is the work done by an attendant lifting your huge ass to clean up your mess. Hard work is what you've seen the nurses, LPNs, orderlies and everyone else caring for you do while you lay spread-eagled on your super-sized bed, complaining that nobody understands you. Ugh. 

Came to post about this too. Teretha uttered those immortal words right before finding out that she had gained 19 pounds. 

5 hours ago, Snarkasm said:

I caught up with the T & C  episode tonight.  One sentence I kept hearing over and over, which is now tilting me,  "I know I'm making good progress."  Wish I had a dollar for every time someone on this show says it.  Then they go see Dr. Now for their weigh-in,  nope, you didn't make any progress.  Bah....   

Along with I'm working really hard, this is real drinking game fodder.  

But yes darned if Teretha didn't turn it around somewhat. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don't recall them mentioning where Chad and his wife met ...

One of the pop-ups mentioned that they met at a store where Aisha was working and Chad was dropping off a shipment. The pop-up also mentioned that he was 500 lbs at the time.

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don't recall them mentioning where Chad and his wife met ...

One of the pop-ups mentioned that they met at a store where Aisha was working and Chad was dropping off a shipment. The pop-up also mentioned that he was 500 lbs at the time.

• Love 5

And the trip to the zoo. Families go to the zoo every day. It's not some big thank you for years of being waited on hand and foot. 

Not families with a parent that weighs over 600 lbs. That is exactly the point of these excursions that take place at the end of nearly every moderately successful episode.  I get that it is hard for people who are not super morbidly obese to understand how obesity steals your life from you and makes you and your family a prisoner to it. That trip to the zoo was as unthinkable as a trip to the moon when Chad was at his highest weight.  That's the whole point. Becoming normal.

I really rooted for Chad, he seemed so grounded and focused. I mean, the episode was boring as hell, needed to FF a lot, but still happy for him. 

• Love 20
12 hours ago, aliya said:

So Teretha has gastroparesis. That's too bad. It is my biggest fear as a diabetic because it makes it next to impossible to control your blood sugar, which leads to a bunch of other complications. 

Derrick's face is so full and puffy. He's not that overweight, so I assume it's part of the kidney failure for which he is receiving dialysis. I just want to tell these people to go whole food, plant based. Black diabetics are more likely to have kidney problems. My uncle was on dialysis for 2-3 years before amputations and sepsis took him. My mother is diabetic, but in good control (uncle wouldn't listen to the doctors). This stuff is serious and I don't mess with it. I'm vegetarian (mostly vegan) for the animals but also in the hopes that I don't wind up on dialysis. I've been diabetic 20 yrs and my kidneys are still fine (I get tested several times a year). I hope they stay that way.

And yeah, Chad looks a lot older. 

Wow aliya diabetes is very prevalent in my family too, in particular on my mother's side of the family. Strokes, loss of mental faculties, blindness, paralysis, death... every female on her side of the family, and now my brother who thankfully has his under control. All except for me. I decided long ago to try to eat as if I was already a diabetic though not always strict about it. I actually am more of a hypoglycemic getting all kinds of weird symptoms if I go too long without eating. I am also a omnivore and high protein/lower carbs work best for me. But hey we're all different, so congrats on finding a way of eating that works for you.

I said all that to say regarding people like Teretha, James K, and so many others on these shows, they just don't seem to get how dangerous and insidious diabetes is. One of the pop-ups said that Teretha's husband Derrick even sneaks out occasionally to buy food he shouldn't be eating! You would think that losing a leg and being on dialysis would be enough of a wake up call, but I guess not.

Anyway, if you enjoy eating delicious vegetarian/vegan dishes, come on down to DC and we'll dine at one of our many fantastic Ethiopian restaurants!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Complexity said:

He was 80 lbs at the age of 5 (that's around twice the size of the average 5 year old). The show last night had a popup that said he was too large to find a suit or tuxedo to wear for his wedding. So he was definitely obese all his life and when he got married.

I think that makes it even harder for a person to lose weight and keep it off. He has been eating poorly his entire life so his new eating habits are completely foreign to him. Yet, he clearly wants to be a productive person and handle his responsibilities as a husband and father.

I applaud his success. It is definitely the result of his own internal motivation. I'll take that kind of person being repetitive any day over the non-stop excuses repeated by others on the show.

I have an obese daughter, and it really is more complicated than just having "bad eating habits."  I have 4 children, 3 of them were normal weight or skinny (I had one son who wore slim pants for years) and one daughter who started getting obese around age 3.  The child who was obese was less active, and enjoyed the carbs more than her siblings.  The differences were not huge, and they all ate the same foods.

I really feel like obesity in many cases is related to genetics.  People don't like to hear that, because it makes it seem as though those who are fat are lazy or weak.  Sometimes it really just is in your genes!  I feel like, in order for someone to reach 600 lbs, there must be something wrong with them.  If you took a skinny person, locked them in a prison cell and tried to feed them that much food, at some point their bodies would naturally say NO MORE.  And they would stop eating.  For some people, the body seems to be able to accommodate the extra food, and many of these people on this show are true addicts.  Whether it's food, alcohol, shopping, whatever....they have crossed over into an addiction.

But I digress.  As the mom of an obese child I feel like I am being constantly judged.  People assume I'm feeding my child garbage, and it's not true.  She grew up alongside her thin siblings, eating the same foods.  As I said, the 2 differences I noticed is that she was less active, and seemed to gravitate to the carbs.  Otherwise it was not much different.

• Love 12

My son was diagnosed type 1 on Easter.  My dad was a non compliant type 1 and died at age 45 after every complication imaginable. Learning so much.

I dont remember,  is teretha a diabetic? Poor Derrick. He sure does love her.  You can tell.  And he'll be happy to go back to just hubby instead of caregiver. 

My husband and i talked about him returning to driving truck and homeschooling our son I  the road.  I'm glad the kids got that summer.  Chad loves those kids and seems very supportive of the son. Autism is hard,  our son also has aspbergers.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Wow aliya diabetes is very prevalent in my family too, in particular on my mother's side of the family. Strokes, loss of mental faculties, blindness, paralysis, death... every female on her side of the family, and now my brother who thankfully has his under control. All except for me. I decided long ago to try to eat as if I was already a diabetic though not always strict about it. I actually am more of a hypoglycemic getting all kinds of weird symptoms if I go too long without eating. I am also a omnivore and high protein/lower carbs work best for me. But hey we're all different, so congrats on finding a way of eating that works for you.

I said all that to say regarding people like Teretha, James K, and so many others on these shows, they just don't seem to get how dangerous and insidious diabetes is. One of the pop-ups said that Teretha's husband Derrick even sneaks out occasionally to buy food he shouldn't be eating! You would think that losing a leg and being on dialysis would be enough of a wake up call, but I guess not.

Anyway, if you enjoy eating delicious vegetarian/vegan dishes, come on down to DC and we'll dine at one of our many fantastic Ethiopian restaurants!

I'm a DC native. Most of my family is still there. I never go back tho (learned to love the rest of the country) unless I have a conference. 

• Love 1

Noticed that Teretha had a catheter.  Would make more sense when he was completely bed bound. But at the end when she was a bit more mobile, there it was hanging off her walker. Personally, that w ould be one invasive contraption I'd try to get rid of as soon as I could.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chopperchopperbell said:

I have an obese daughter, and it really is more complicated than just having "bad eating habits."  I have 4 children, 3 of them were normal weight or skinny (I had one son who wore slim pants for years) and one daughter who started getting obese around age 3.  The child who was obese was less active, and enjoyed the carbs more than her siblings.  The differences were not huge, and they all ate the same foods.

I really feel like obesity in many cases is related to genetics.  People don't like to hear that, because it makes it seem as though those who are fat are lazy or weak.  Sometimes it really just is in your genes!  I feel like, in order for someone to reach 600 lbs, there must be something wrong with them.  If you took a skinny person, locked them in a prison cell and tried to feed them that much food, at some point their bodies would naturally say NO MORE.  And they would stop eating.  For some people, the body seems to be able to accommodate the extra food, and many of these people on this show are true addicts.  Whether it's food, alcohol, shopping, whatever....they have crossed over into an addiction.

But I digress.  As the mom of an obese child I feel like I am being constantly judged.  People assume I'm feeding my child garbage, and it's not true.  She grew up alongside her thin siblings, eating the same foods.  As I said, the 2 differences I noticed is that she was less active, and seemed to gravitate to the carbs.  Otherwise it was not much different.

Thank you for saying this. I grew up an obese child, as did my father in the 1950s when there were few overweight kids. He was fed the same as this thin brother but LOVED to eat and would do other children's homework for snacks. 

As someone who's always struggled with weight management (although no where near the way the people on this show have) I think it's a combination of genetics and environment. There are always going to be people that are on either end of the bell curve, BUT a when an entire population starts changing you have to look at the environment. Many of these people on "my 600lbs life" may have always been obese, or the "heavy one" if they lived 100yrs ago, but you throw in trauma, depression, AND our culture of low quality high calorie foods and then you get people like those portrayed here. 

• Love 11

Regarding Teretha, did anyone else here recall and/or find annoying how she would say "wait, wait, wait, wait, wait" really fast over and over again whenever yet another hunky team of firefighters and EMTs were lifting and carrying her? Drove me nuts! I wanted to scream at her "Wait for what!? They're trying to move your big behind as quickly and safely as possible, and I'm sure they know what they're doing better than you!"

Sad to say, I'll bet that those professionals are no strangers to risking physical injury moving extremely obese patients like Teretha, probably more often than we know of. Again, special appreciation for all of them.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

I don't remember the name, but another person was supposed to lose 40 pounds, and came up three pounds shy of the goal,  Dr.  Now required he/she lose the three pounds, plus the original 40 in the next month.  I know each patient is different, but that seems a little unfair.  It took poor Joe Wexler almost the entire year before he got surgery.

I think sometimes he's mentioned that someone has a lot of fat where the surgery needs to be, or other health reasons.

And I'm a DC native too, then lived most of my adult life in Maryland, but live in exile in Florida now.

• Love 3

Don't believe this gofundme has been posted.  Very sad regarding Teretha's husband.  He truly loves her deeply.  She should be helping him and not putting more stress on him.  I haven't watched the follow up yet -- will this weekend, but TLC repeated both originals earlier this week.  I sure like Chad's family.  All I could make at 10 y/o was a bowl of cereal -- that little girl makes a mean fried chicken!  She'll be a great mom and partner just like her mom is.  

https://www.gofundme.com/houston2015

• Love 2
10 hours ago, sickwithsin said:

I'm not seeing how catching a 500lb big'un would be a good investment. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Sad to say, I'll bet that those professionals are no strangers to risking physical injury moving extremely obese patients like Teretha, probably more often than we know of. Again, special appreciation for all of them.

My partner, a police officer, injured his back when he helped lift a morbid obese person at an accident scene.  He was out for six weeks.  You're a first responder because you want to help people, then you get injured because someone hasn't a lick of self control.  Bah....  Back injuries come back and haunt you when you age.  

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:32 PM, LeeAnn said:

I really hope he thinks long and hard about getting any more skin removal.  Those were some rough-looking stitches.

I realize because these people were so big that when they lose weight their bodies are really misshapen, but I would be looking for somebody else for anything cosmetic because it looks to me like Dr. Now does a hack job cutting off the fat and stitching them up.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I realize because these people were so big that when they lose weight their bodies are really misshapen, but I would be looking for somebody else for anything cosmetic because it looks to me like Dr. Now does a hack job cutting off the fat and stitching them up.

Yes & I wonder if that's part of the reason Zsalynn flew to Cal to have her skin removal surgery done by a plastic surgeon there. I also wondered if they gave her a break being she had it filmed - I can't recall but I think they showed the place/doctor. She was smart to do that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Otter said:

Don't believe this gofundme has been posted.

So this was started 27 months ago, before she went to Houston. 
I too feel so sorry for her husband.  Is he her son, Darius?'s father, because if so, he ought to be worrying more about Dad than mom.

While I liked seeing Chad love his family so much, I thought having your family in the truck was not legal? Some trucking companies will allow one belted in passenger that is pre-approved but certainly not 2 unbelted in kids. My BIL was a trucker. His wife left him out of the blue with 3 kids. His youngest was developmentally delayed. He could not find childcare he felt comfortable with for his daughter's needs and took her in the truck. The truck was in a minor accident, not his fault but his job was gone for having the 12 year old child in the truck. His employer felt bad but insurance just wont allow it. I looked on trucking forums and it seems like it still is true, trucking companies don't want kids and certainly don't want anyone without a seatbelt in the truck.

I was wondering has Dr. Now ever done a special or any sort of show just on himself? I would really like to know what he thinks about American obesity epidemic in general, like his views of the causes of morbid obesity that aren't specific to the patient we see every week. I hope he does an interview or a one on one before this show ends. He has seen so much in his career which sadly has to be winding down soon. Over the years I have wondered about his motivations but it certainly cant be just for money because he certainly could be capitalizing on his name by being on TV shows like the doctors and Dr Oz, or writing books or promoting other weight loss products, yet unless Im missing something, he is not.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 7
On 4/28/2017 at 7:03 PM, Snarkasm said:

I'm not seeing how catching a 500lb big'un would be a good investment. 

For most people, it wouldn't be. I'm thinking that for a black woman working in retail (notoriously low paid) with 2 kids, one of them autistic, a guy with a decent-paying job who was interested in marriage and accepting of her kids did seem like a good investment, no matter what size he was. Also, if he was doing long distance trucking, he wasn't around all the time, so that may have been a plus.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, aliya said:

a guy with a decent-paying job who was interested in marriage and accepting of her kids did seem like a good investment, no matter what size he was. Also, if he was doing long distance trucking, he wasn't around all the time, so that may have been a plus.

Don't sign me up for "Lowered Expectations" just yet (LOL) but I kind of get that. I was in a long term marriage and now that I am divorced I have a long term boyfriend who treats me and my daughter well but even though we spend a couple nights a week together I like being alone sometimes and I still have my own place. Also when she met Chad he was mobile and working.

• Love 7