Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Snatch Game

• Start Topic

I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as we stopped enjoying these ladies in the interior illusions lounge/whatever they called it that one season, there's a collective feeling of not knowing these girls as well.  I think there's something to be said for that extra half hour of glossy video making sure we understand exactly who these girls are, and which ones have become besties.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

I was worried about her at the beginning of the season afraid we had another Serena Cha Cha but she's amazingly polished for only doing drag for ten months makes me wonder how long she practiced in the mirrors at home before starting to perform.

She's been doing drag for longer than 10 months - she made public appearances in drag more than 10 months before season 9 started filming. I think she was saying that she'd only been doing drag performances for 10 months.

I thought it was odd that the judges brought up Yara's Amy Winehouse as an example of a queen who succeeded by doing someone very different from them. Didn't she wind up in the bottom 3 in her Snatch Game?

• Love 5
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

She's been doing drag for longer than 10 months - she made public appearances in drag more than 10 months before season 9 started filming. I think she was saying that she'd only been doing drag performances for 10 months.

I thought it was odd that the judges brought up Yara's Amy Winehouse as an example of a queen who succeeded by doing someone very different from them. Didn't she wind up in the bottom 3 in her Snatch Game?

I think you're right, and I thought the same thing but wasn't sure.

Better example would have maybe been Alexis Mateo's quirky Alicia Keys?

ETA: I also agree, I don't want to see any more drag queen impersonations in Snatch Game. It was one thing when Sharon Needles was doing Michelle Visage, but that's as 'meta' as I want to go. I could barely remember who Jasmine Masters even was. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 6

I think Alexis deserved her win, but I wish they could have given Valentina more praise for being so original in both the Snatch Game and runway. Miss Colombia was a bit one note, but she was funny and something I never would have thought of someone doing, and the Sex Book look was just amazing (although I wonder if it translates better on camera than it did in person).

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Yeah, that was a straight up disaster. I would have said Jessica Wild's RuPaul was a bit more "wow, THAT was a liberal interpretation" that was actually really funny, because it was like if RuPaul were on some spectacular drugs.

• Love 1

I was disappointed with Snatch Game. Dietrich and Liza with a Z were great; the rest weren't even on the same stage.

The production group seems to be having trouble recapturing what made this show great pre-VH1.

• Love 2

Count me among those who wish Aja had done Crystal LaBeja!

Though now that I'm thinking, you know ehat would have been a *great* Snatch Game character? Dorian Corey. For the question about what the gay cat coughed up, she could have said "a 1982 ballroom trophy for Executive Realness", and for the Snapchat question, she could have said something like "Closets! There's a weird smell coming out of mine!" She could also have a suitcase with a mummy hand coming out of it, if she wanted to be *really* dark...

• Love 6

and the Sex Book look was just amazing (although I wonder if it translates better on camera than it did in person).

I didn't like the visual of her boy body from the back. It was too literal, she might have had the back be a nude bodysuit with padding in it.

By this time you have a good idea of who is going to win. This season, not at ALL.

4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

By this time you have a good idea of who is going to win. This season, not at ALL.

Yes. Right now I'd say Valentina is the front runner, but Sasha really got me to notice her after her Marlena at Snatch Game. I don't really have one that I just love to watch, tho, and I usually do - Pandora Boxx, Katya, Latrice, Violet (yes, Violet! Maybe she's there just for me, lol)

9 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I didn't like the visual of her boy body from the back. It was too literal, she might have had the back be a nude bodysuit with padding in it.

I disagree--Madonna's body in 1992 looked a lot like Valentina's. When V posed on the runway, it was uncanny. I think padding would have taken away from that, and I liked the shock value of her nudity because it matched the original sex book. I was so glad she didn't forget the cigarette, too.

• Love 8
(edited)

(I don't want to do Bitterness Thread here, but I'm having a really bad night so I'm watching S6 for the first time in probably a year and a half. I'm only on the second episode and it just strikes me how much more watchable every single queen is. You just want more of all of them. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this is the Scream Queens episode, which is awesome even when Trinity, Gia and April are blowing it.)

(Edit: And Adore is blowing it too =D) 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kieyra said:

(I don't want to do Bitterness Thread here [...] 

It might be appropriate, because... "I'm AntManBee.  And I have something to say"

This season sucks.  The editing sucks. That there are videos on YouTube of out takes, or different footage, that make the queens more likable and engaging is very frustrating.  Nobody is engaging.  Nobody is a star.  Valentina needs to stop relying on that body. Sasha needs to stop proving she's the smartest in the room.  Shea needs a soft filter and better padding.  Nina needs a life coach.  

I could use more untucked of Farrah smoking.  IJS.

Can we also talk about how Ru looks?  How rumors are abound that Mathu Anderson is not doing her looks anymore, and that Raven (makeup) and Delta Work (hair) have replaced him?  

• Love 3

I don't see Valentina relying on her body at least not nearly in the same way that Carmen or Courtney did on their seasons. She has worn skimpy looks but also full length gowns that yes may be form fitting but if they went she'd be read for it. 

• Love 5

I agree that Valentina isn't doing "as close to naked as possible" costumes for every challenge, so I didn't mind her runway look this week at all. I thought it was fun and different, which I couldn't say about all of the other Madonna costumes we've seen.

• Love 6

I think Trinity has a bunch of money.  Her costumes are great and of course, being able to afford butt implants (like Detox).  Although monied queens always look great, I have a soft place in my heart for the ChiChis, Jiggly Calientes and Nina Boninas with her paper face masks that show creativity

• Love 9
On 5/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, AntManBee said:

Can we also talk about how Ru looks?  How rumors are abound that Mathu Anderson is not doing her looks anymore, and that Raven (makeup) and Delta Work (hair) have replaced him?

Yes please, can we? The move away to VH1 (is it? I'm in Australia, so we get everything mashed together on 1 station) has definitely made an impact. And what happened to Wendy Williams? Glad she's not here, but ... things are not the same as in previous seasons. I'm HOPING it is temporary and due to Ru being in a happy place emotionally? 

• Love 1

Alexis Michelle's "Liza" was excellent, but if you're going to do Liza, it had damn well better be excellent.

Second runner-up, if you will, should have been Valentina. Her "Miss Universe Colombia" had me dying laughing. She showed the most originality overall tonight. (Full confession: I do love a fishy queen!)

Peppermint was like 2 different people. All that "I feel sorry for Cynthia" sass & confidence in the LSFYL--- Oh, how I clutched my pearls when she said that! ---should have translated into a great "Nene." Then again, if she hadn't messed up the Snatch Game, she would not have blessed us with that amazing lipsync!

• Love 2

Is it me or are the "Snatch Game" eps not as good as they used to be? Why are they allowed to do dragtestants from previous seasons? It strikes me as being lazy. This used to my fav challenge and I used to want to see more, but now, I find myself clock-watching...

What is the deal with everyone choosing obscure or single events for their Madonna look? She has so many phases she's been thru but they always choose something she wore to an awards show or something from when she ceased to be relevant.

3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Is it me or are the "Snatch Game" eps not as good as they used to be? Why are they allowed to do dragtestants from previous seasons? It strikes me as being lazy. This used to my fav challenge and I used to want to see more, but now, I find myself clock-watching...

What is the deal with everyone choosing obscure or single events for their Madonna look? She has so many phases she's been thru but they always choose something she wore to an awards show or something from when she ceased to be relevant.

I'd like a rule that you can't do anybody who's been done before, at the very least. Michelle has said she thinks it's risky to do another queen unless you are really, really good at it. I mean, Sharon Needles KILLED as Michelle, and Alaska was great as Lady Bunny (I know, a queen but not from Drag Race), so I wouldn't want to completely ban it, but I think the non-comedy queens should be warned off aggressively.

And I completely agree with you on the Madonna looks! Maybe it's because so many of the queens are young and really only know latter day Madge? I would go for either her "Like a Prayer" or "Lucky Star" video looks, personally. Iconic. 

On 4/28/2017 at 9:28 PM, hoosier80 said:

CLF wasn't even close to Sofia Vergara.  She could have had some products that Vergara does ads for as props, mention those in her responses, like the coffee would've been a perfect prop.  Coffee mug there, and go on about how I made it in my Neeenja.   Or Diet Pepsi, or covergirl makeup - throw it to the Gigi makeup chick.  Any of it would have been better than whatever she said to "Miss Colombia" (that was such a brilliant move by Valentina - not specific enough so she would get dinged for not going a good impression, but she brought the comedy big time). 

Cynthia wasn't remotely close Sofia Vergara. I've been watching the Snatch Game from previous seasons. In season 5, Lineysha wanted to do Michelle Obama, which would have been a disaster.  However, it made me realize that Cynthia could have done Melania Trump, but accidentally slipping Michelle Obama info into her answers or slipping a bunch of Trumpisms into her answers.

• Love 1