Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: The Cognition Regeneration

2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I don't think it would affect his mother in any way, that woman is cold.  Her reaction would most likely be "What took you so long?".

Yeah, she's definitely cold.  But, she clearly has a ranking system of her kids, based solely on their professional success, and I just meant, she might have to re-order.

I'd like to see Leonard get the Nobel, which prompts some massively prominent psychiatrist  (the kind that would provoke Beverley into the same reaction Sheldon gives Stephen Hawking) to contact Leonard for assistance in completely discrediting Beverly's work.

• Love 1

I don't see Beverly ever giving Leonard any credit for anything but I do agree I'd love to see Leonard have some awesome success and have her be a bitch and him totally brush her off.  That would be the one thing I'd want to see in the finale.  Leonard telling her to shut the hell up once and for all.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2017 at 1:19 AM, rmontro said:

So they've established that Penny is unhappy in her job.  Ugh, I have this terrible feeling they are going to get her back into acting somehow.  

Or make her have an "oops" baby!!  They may be trying to establish that she's not completely fulfilled and is therefore ripe for the next chapter in her life, then baby just happens.  Not sure I would love that if they went that route.  I'm hoping she surprises everyone and lands a really good/interesting job where she can use her talents and not have to sell her sexiness to earn money.

2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Or make her have an "oops" baby!!  They may be trying to establish that she's not completely fulfilled and is therefore ripe for the next chapter in her life, then baby just happens.  

An interesting notion.  I can't see how the show needs another baby but they could go in that direction.  If you think about how long and how often Leonard and Penny have been having sex, they must be using some industrial form of birth control.  Maybe Penny could make some commercials for it.

"industrial form of birth control"???

Just any regular form that modern women use:  the pill, the patch, the implant, the shot, a diaphragm.... People who are in a committed exclusive relationship don't need to use condoms.

I watch this show occasionally, and actually appreciate that the characters do science, that they've shown personal growth, and it shows women being as smart and capable as men. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

"industrial form of birth control"???

Just any regular form that modern women use:  the pill, the patch, the implant, the shot, a diaphragm.... People who are in a committed exclusive relationship don't need to use condoms.

I watch this show occasionally, and actually appreciate that the characters do science, that they've shown personal growth, and it shows women being as smart and capable as men. 

I was kind of wondering about that, but wasn't going to say anything.  Of course, no birth control is 100%.  But, do Leonard and Penny have so much more sex than any other newly married, young couple, that their odds of getting pregnant on B.C. are exponentially higher?

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, do Leonard and Penny have so much more sex than any other newly married, young couple, that their odds of getting pregnant on B.C. are exponentially higher?

Of course IRL accidents do happen but in the wonderful world of tvland they are a staple of most shows, it always seems to be that even mature adults in their 30s get caught up in the heat of the moment and throw caution to the winds.  But as has been noted why would a couple in a committed, monogamous relationship be relying on condoms when there are other, better, methods of birth control?  Anyway what particularly annoys me is that even those shows set in hospitals centering on doctors and nurses have "oops pregnancy" storylines.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was kind of wondering about that, but wasn't going to say anything.  Of course, no birth control is 100%.  But, do Leonard and Penny have so much more sex than any other newly married, young couple, that their odds of getting pregnant on B.C. are exponentially higher?

Um, yeah. I've never had an oops in over 10 years of activity with my husband, let alone prior to that.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Of course, no birth control is 100%.  But, do Leonard and Penny have so much more sex than any other newly married, young couple, that their odds of getting pregnant on B.C. are exponentially higher?

At one point, when Leonard wanted to resume dating, Penny mentioned having to stop by the drugstore. That suggests she's not using the most effective means of B.C., probably for medical reasons.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Of course, no birth control is 100%.  But, do Leonard and Penny have so much more sex than any other newly married, young couple, that their odds of getting pregnant on B.C. are exponentially higher?

I made that comment kind of tongue in cheek.  But they've been having sex fairly regularly, on and off, ever since the show started.  Not just since they've gotten married.  So that's a long time, longer than Howard and Bernadette.  But I guess the main point was that no birth control is 100% effective.

18 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

At one point, when Leonard wanted to resume dating, Penny mentioned having to stop by the drugstore. That suggests she's not using the most effective means of B.C., probably for medical reasons.

She was single at that point. Not wanting to use long-term birth control when you're not monogamous is different from using it when you are. Plus if you have multiple partners, you want a method that will also prevent STIs. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Plus if you have multiple partners, you want a method that will also prevent STIs

Considering the number of guys she's been with, that makes sense, but, to the original point, when it's her sole form of protection, her typical encounter has been while drunk, and going without is not a deal-breaker for her, it does suggest something may be up for her not to have gotten pregnant. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "we're trying but it's not happening" story arc in the future as they look for more sources of humor.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Considering the number of guys she's been with, that makes sense, but, to the original point, when it's her sole form of protection, her typical encounter has been while drunk, and going without is not a deal-breaker for her, it does suggest something may be up for her not to have gotten pregnant. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "we're trying but it's not happening" story arc in the future as they look for more sources of humor.

Condoms are like 97% effective.  Not that this has anything to do with anything, but it reminds me of something someone in college said.  I wanted to tell her that it was stupid, but that seemed rude so I didn't.  Anyway, she said condoms weren't 100% effective to prevent pregnancy, but they were 100% effective against STDs.  I don't know how she thought the sperm was going to get in to fertilize the egg, but not deliver any disease, but whatever. 

But, anyway, people who don't want to get pregnant, should always, always, always double up on the protection.  Condom and Pill, condom and diaprhaghm, Pill and spermicide.  Whatever.  Double up.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a "we're trying but it's not happening" story arc in the future as they look for more sources of humor.

This could work well for a future season. I liked the way they did this on Friends where it wasn't one person's fault, they both had problems. 

There is that flash back scene with Penny sitting on the bed with a boyfriend celebrating because her pregnancy test came back negative.  It looks like it could have been from high school or shortly thereafter.  That suggests that she might have been less than cautious with using birth control, at least on that one occasion.  Or maybe she just had a late period or something, and was just checking.  Can't remember which episode that was, unfortunately.

That was from the awesome flashback episode when we learn how Sheldon and Leonard became room-mates.  Leonard has just told Penny it was his fault the elevator is broken and he challenges her to admit that 7 years ago she did some stupid things too.   She tells him she was in high school keeping her nose clean, studying hard, and then they flashback to the pregnancy test scene.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

Anyway, she said condoms weren't 100% effective to prevent pregnancy, but they were 100% effective against STDs.  I don't know how she thought the sperm was going to get in to fertilize the egg, but not deliver any disease, but whatever. 

Not everything too small to see is the same size. There could have been some truth to that with the old bacterial STD's, but viruses are much smaller, so that bit of folk "wisdom"  should have been discarded when HIV came along.

• Love 1