Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Who's the Boss?

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Question, would a yacht usually have some type of snack available for late night munching?  We have seen guests get pizza, popcorn, prepared by the deck crew and stews.  Or is it unusual?

It's more the snacks for the crew, but yes :)

But I have to add a precision regarding the "yachtie" thing : It was in order to help a frien on a much smaller yacht than those ones :) But the rules are +/- the same.

• Love 2

Well this is going to be an interesting season.

You can already tell that production hates the Captain. All of the scenes of her saying she does not micro manage and then showing her micro-managing is just brutal.

There does not seem to be a sympathetic character on the whole boat.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

Well this is going to be an interesting season.

You can already tell that production hates the Captain. All of the scenes of her saying she does not micro manage and then showing her micro-managing is just brutal.

There does not seem to be a sympathetic character on the whole boat.

I think she is great, in spite of production trying to override her basic duties to check on everything on the ship.  The ship is docked for chrissakes what is she suppose to be doing?  She has had the ship for 24 hours.  She should be in the thick of it checking out the toys, seeing how the deck crew works and it didn't really bother me she asked she took time out for a tutorial with the stewardess on docking the tender.  She does it all with a smile on her face and no swearing or tearing someone down. 

I think the crew will come to love the Captain.   

• Love 20

I hope you are right but I don't think so. Most of these people act like immature kids. I bet they are encouraged to do so by production. Who gets the face time? Idiots like Rocky and the Cellphone dude from last season whose name escapes me. If you act like a reasonable adult and do your job you are boring to them and get no airtime and are not asked back. The chef knows this. He is already setting himself up to be the locus of trouble. 

The Captain needs to step back a little so when she intervenes it is important. If she is involved in everything she is undermining her authority. She certainly should not have cleaned a cabin. That is just silly. You set standards and then you enforce them.  But you expect your people to be able to do the job they were hired for in the time alloted. Or you get new people.

A captain has to have a little mystique. Inspire a little fear. Who is going to afraid of someone with a toilet brush in her hand.

I think she is going to lose control of this pack of whacko's pretty quickly.

• Love 3

RIght. He is the type who gets all of the attention. You can already see these mooks trying to be the next Danny. 

Especially this chef dude. 

It is a tough decesion. Do you act like a normal person and do your job and fade into the background and not get asked back. Or do you follow in the footsteps of trainwrecks like Kat and Rocky and Danny and all of the rest of them who get featured in every episode. The downside of that of course is that often you get fired and won't be back. You have to strike a balance. Be just crazy and messed up enough to be featured but not so crazy that you won't be asked back.

Kelly and Ben both have that figured out. Hannah is bidding to do the same for this franchise. Bobby is just here to be a tackling dummy.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

I hope you are right but I don't think so. Most of these people act like immature kids. I bet they are encouraged to do so by production. Who gets the face time? Idiots like Rocky and the Cellphone dude from last season whose name escapes me. If you act like a reasonable adult and do your job you are boring to them and get no airtime and are not asked back. The chef knows this. He is already setting himself up to be the locus of trouble. 

The Captain needs to step back a little so when she intervenes it is important. If she is involved in everything she is undermining her authority. She certainly should not have cleaned a cabin. That is just silly. You set standards and then you enforce them.  But you expect your people to be able to do the job they were hired for in the time alloted. Or you get new people.

A captain has to have a little mystique. Inspire a little fear. Who is going to afraid of someone with a toilet brush in her hand.

I think she is going to lose control of this pack of whacko's pretty quickly.

My grandma was pretty scary yielding a toilet brush when the tourist toilets weren't up to par at her resort.  ;-D  I believe maybe she is overcompensating because she is a female and is trying to show the crew, no job is beneath her. 

My problem is I have liked all the captains.  Lee gets a little overbearing at times but he had a sense of humor as well.  I know these captains are hamstrung in that they report to production and would not have hired half these loons.  The one I always liked was Amy, and she came back once and then decided the drama wasn't worth it to her.  Ben moved on and has nothing but best wishes  for both franchises after an off season with Kelly, Lee and Kate trashing him. 

• Love 4

Not to disrespect anyone with food allergies, but....  I think the food allergy thing is largely producer driven.  Every group, of guests, featured seems to have an inordinate amount of people with major allergies/dislikes.  I am from the midwest, have eaten with many diverse groups of people and never is there anyone with food issues like on this show.  Now my stepmom won't drink a soft drink if it's not Pepsi, but that is another thing altogether.  Also the fact that the women wanted nachos with meat, pretty much negated the reasons for the other food requests.   

• Love 5

I have found that as a group, I don't find many of the cast members very appealing from any season.  This one nor the regular Below Deck casts.  Lots of dysfunctional people, imo.  And I'm not referring to just those who are plants and meant to be a fiasco like Danny.  Just a lot of issues in general.  One thing that I will say is that I  think they have a difficult job on that ship and that it must be very challenging doing that job for 6 weeks nonstop.  I hand them that.  I don't think that I could do it.  Maybe, when I was 21, but, I'm not sure. 

• Love 2

So glad they replaced the last captain. He was a whole lotta bland. Probably a decent guy but not worth tuning in every week. I'm still on the fence about the new captain. I'm no Hannah fan but I can see how she'd be irritated. I also wouldn't be a fan of shoving everything in cupboards to hide the mess. Just let the girl stay up an extra hour, or finish in the morning. The lack of compromise is unsettling. I recall Lee stepping in to help sometimes, giving Ben and Kate a hand every once in a while. But this chick is super hands on. I wonder if she'll step back a bit later in the season. Also wondering why she's so involved with the interior. Based on the season teaser, it's the deck crew she needs to keep a better eye on. And on a total shallow note, am I the only one that thinks Sandy is a stunner? This really might be the best looking crew yet.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I kind of like Captain Sandy. I kind of see both sides of the Hannah/Captain Sandy issue where it is annoying to be micromanaged, but like Sandy said she has a fairly green crew and I liked that she seems to be willing to help out. Probably not the best time to have deckhand girl learn to more about the boat, but I can see why she did that. I was probably the only one who liked Captain Mark from last season. I have been over Captain Lee for awhile now.

Bobby is so immature. I was really hoping that since he was back he would be more about the work and less about the women. I thought he was a dick last season, but was hoping that he saw himself on television and changed. That did not happen. I hate to give Bobby some credit, but he did say (Was it him? If it wasn't I take this all back) something like Captain Sandy working with them would help the rest of the crew learn her style of being Captain, and how she expects things to get done.

I found myself more annoyed by Hannah this episode. I was pretty indifferent to her last season. Sometimes I liked her and sometimes I did not. I just found her annoying in this episode.

I am not really sure about any of the new people yet. They have not done too much yet. I think I might like the Bosun, but it is too early to tell. He seems competent though. 

The thing that everyone in the cast seems to forget is that in the event of an emergency, the crew (deck and stews) turns into emergency and rescue personnel. And while having Malia practice with the tender during the setup of the beach picnic was inconvenient, Malia needs to practice at all times (when it's convenient, inconvenient, daytime, and nightime) so that she's comfortable using the tender whenever. We all saw how Lauren had no clue what the hand signals were on last season of the mothership. This crew has members who have never even been on a boat.

Furthermore, Hannah was not a perfect chief stew last season. She's impatient and short-tempered. When Captain Mark and Ben asked her to put together menus for the charters, she ignored them all season. The initial push to get the ship ready for the charter season is probably the most chaotic it should ever be. Therefore, some micromanaging by the captain is probably necessary to minimize the chaos especially given that the crew includes quite a few greenies.

I am, however, quite vocal in my dislike of Captain Mark. I hated how he'd sit around with Bryan and Bobby talking shit about Danny and when he let Bobby take Danny's stuff and dump it in the hallway. The first was unprofessional favoritism and the latter had the potential to be dangerous.

Bobby is immature and gross. Or gross and immature. No matter either way, I can't stand him.

• Love 7

I think Captain Sandy is really going to have a problem with the women this year. The guys will be on their toes and I don't see them not  jumping to when she barks. The girls not so much.

I know in business it was always the women who had the most trouble with a female boss. I guess guys are used to having their wives and mothers boss them around or something.

I can see Captain Sandy and Hannah going at it tooth and claw. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ninjago said:

That WWHL got real weird.  Bobby is like textbook douchebag.  His teeth are a nightmare.  Even Andy seemed repulsed.

So awkward and uncomfortable. That was weird and unpleasant.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Trooper York said:

I think Captain Sandy is really going to have a problem with the women this year. The guys will be on their toes and I don't see them not  jumping to when she barks. The girls not so much.

I know in business it was always the women who had the most trouble with a female boss. I guess guys are used to having their wives and mothers boss them around or something.

It's not about wives and mothers.

Men are more heirarchical when working in an organization and more inclined to follow the organizational structure. Women tend to collaborate more and cross heirarchical boundaries.   So the men would be more included go along with Sandy just because she's the captain and not question her.  Women don't put as much credence on that.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Men are more heirarchical when working in an organization and more inclined to follow the organizational structure. Women tend to collaborate more and cross heirarchical boundaries.   So the men would be more included go along with Sandy just because she's the captain and not question her.  Women don't put as much credence on that.

I think this is exactly right. Men tend to take orders better then women. Women always argue. the point. Or at least most of the time. You can see it in this episode. Youse guys just can't get along. It might be a stereotype but we are seeing it right in front of our faces with the Captain and Hannah.

Sandy has to establish her authority. You can't be a pal to your workers. You have to be a figure of respect and authority. I think she is undermining that by her behavior so far. Don't get me wrong. Captain Mark was no Admiral Neslon. He wasn't even Tony Nelson who couldn't get Jeanie to get back in the bottle. But compared to Captain Sandy he was Darth Vader. I hope she gets a better edit. I don't see how she could be a respected captain in the industry. But then again would a respected captain want to be the leader of the good ship shit storm?

56 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

I think this is exactly right. Men tend to take orders better then women. Women always argue. the point. Or at least most of the time. You can see it in this episode. Youse guys just can't get along. It might be a stereotype but we are seeing it right in front of our faces with the Captain and Hannah.

This was definitely not my point.

It's not about taking orders better vs. arguing.  I'll put it more simply.  Men tend to put more value on rank, title and position than women do.  Women tend to put less emphasis on that and more on collaborating to get the job done and are willing to cross ranks to do that.  

Each approach has its obvious strengths and obvious weaknesses.  

• Love 6

I agree. Men learn to cooperate by playing team sports. You have to listen to the quarterback. Woman like to argue. Or at least that is what I saw in the workplace.

It seems clear that we are going to see that this season. They are setting up the conflict from the jump between the Captain and her Chief Stew. That is poor leadership from the get go. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, Eater of Worlds said:

I find it funny how I mentioned last time that Bobby really needed braces and he has them now.

Forget braces- what he needs is orthognathic surgery!

On 5/2/2017 at 9:26 PM, njbchlover said:

Looking forward to this season.  Captain Sandy is certainly more hands on than other captains we've seen (what was the name of last season's Med captain?). For someone who says she doesn't micro-manage, she's certainly doing a lot of that, imo.

She comes off as though she still thinks she's got something to prove, even though she's supposedly been a yacht captain for 27 years. And that's why I think she's doing all this micro-managing. I thought it was awesome the way she lost sight of the "big picture" when Malia was having a hard time with the tender and the captain decided right then was the perfect time to train her. LOL.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, rho said:

And on a total shallow note, am I the only one that thinks Sandy is a stunner?

Probably. :D

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Trooper York said:

I agree. Men learn to cooperate by playing team sports. You have to listen to the quarterback. Woman like to argue. Or at least that is what I saw in the workplace.

It seems clear that we are going to see that this season. They are setting up the conflict from the jump between the Captain and her Chief Stew. That is poor leadership from the get go. 

Hannah pretty much fights with most everyone.  She can keep a relationship with her stews but that is about all.  I find Hannah to be both a drunk (she admitted the same on WWHL) and fairly sexually aggressive, being assertive is one thing but she comes off as using her position to intimidate.  So I believe in this case the captain is always right and Hannah needs to stick to folding laudry, complaining about the guests and terrorizing the deck crew and chef.  One may not agree with Sandy's leadership style but it is something that has obviously worked for her.  I have never seen an upside to challenging the captain's authority.  Is Hannah going to pilot the boat? 

When Hannah was on WWHL, she was asked about Kate Chastain and she had positive things to say about her and then went maybe a bit too far claiming they were good friends.  Bobby who is usually slow on the uptake countered with the two had never met. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Trooper York said:

So far I like the Captain but at the same time if her interference affects Hannah's ability to serve the guest then that will be an issue.

I'm all about their being a female Captain and I thought it was awesome when she jumped in to help. I also applaud the way she was training... forgot her name cause her tone was completely helpful and had no frustration.

Now with that said choosing that time to have her practice was pretty much a fail. I mean they are in the middle of something. Her taking that time caused the guests to arrive on the beach along with the food therefore causes a bit more of a scramble for those setting up. I would be annoyed that my organized approach to completing the task had an unnecessary wrench thrown in. Their jobs are harrowing. They need to adjust all the time so I know for sure that I'd want every part of a charter that CAN be structured to BE structured and not get kicked off course cause of something unnecessary.

The Captain did it at least twice in the first episode by commanding that Hannah just shove everything back in the closet and go to sleep. I personally would have rathered get it out of the way before the charter than have to fight with a tangled mess while I'm already dealing with the hurdles of a charter. I'm the type that would rather stay up til 3am just so I know that everything is wear it needs to be so that it's easily available so  that I don't have to trip all over a mess while trying to get my job done. 

I'm not completely turned off with Cap. Sand though. I don't have a problem with her being hands on in the beginning cause she has a green crew so she needs to see what their skill sets are in order to comfortably hang back eventually. I think it makes sense and is understandable minus her throwing stupid wrenches in the coordinated efforts of other crew members.  But yeah, I'm still digging Sandy so far.

Oh, and one more thing I'm not interested in the female "war" angle so I really hope that it won't turn into a thing between her and Hannah. That just undermines the idea of a women in such a position.

Wait, one more thing. In the previous it look like the misogyny will be rearing it's ugly head again with Maliah I believe? Apparently some of the guys get into deplorable mode where they can't handle one of the females entertaining more than one dude on the crew?? I'm not liking it as a whole but there's a clip of Adam? barking angrily "So I've made out with a whore"... or something like that. It's looking like Maliah hooks up with Adam then another guy on the crew (Bobby)?? Not necessarily sex but kissy kissy then maybe switches gears then maybe bones the next or maybe both I dunno.. Whatever, but from the looks of it the way the boys are choosing to handle it will make my stomach churn. Maliah's declaration that she can fuck whoever the hell she wants to fuck all over that boat and it's noone's business gives a clue as to what's going to happen.  I'm not exactly excited to see one of the females throw it around like it's cute either but I sure as hell don't want to see what looks like one of the guys confronting her about it. I mean unless the guy is one of the love interests and wants clarification for his own sake but if it's just a sit down to criticize her and suggest she CAN'T be a player like that.  Nah man. Not unless she mislead someone on what her intentions where or what her feelings were towards that person. But if it's obvious that she's just hooking up then spare me the bullshit. Take your wounded ego off my TV. Totally not here for THAT!!!

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Wait, one more thing. In the previous it look like the misogyny will be rearing it's ugly head again with Maliah I believe? Apparently some of the guys get into deplorable mode where they can't handle one of the females entertaining more than one dude on the crew?? I'm not liking it as a whole but there's a clip of Adam? barking angrily "So I've made out with a whore"... or something like that. It's looking like Maliah hooks up with Adam then another guy on the crew (Bobby)?? Not necessarily sex but kissy kissy then maybe switches gears then maybe bones the next or maybe both I dunno.. Whatever, but from the looks of it the way the boys are choosing to handle it will make my stomach churn. Maliah's declaration that she can fuck whoever the hell she wants to fuck all over that boat and it's noone's business gives a clue as to what's going to happen.  I'm not exactly excited to see one of the females throw it around like it's cute either but I sure as hell don't want to see what looks like one of the guys confronting her about it. I mean unless the guy is one of the love interests and wants clarification for his own sake but if it's just a sit down to criticize her and suggest she CAN'T be a player like that.  Nah man. Not unless she mislead someone on what her intentions where or what her feelings were towards that person. But if it's obvious that she's just hooking up then spare me the bullshit. Take your wounded ego off my TV. Totally not here for THAT!!!

This is all speculation but I got the impression she hooked up with Adam, but also Wes/Wiz. The implication there is that he has to step down and I have my fingers crossed Bobby doesn't get promoted. I don't think I can handle this show with Bobby on a power trip. If that's the case, I'm even more upset at him for yelling at Malia because he's not even involved. Stay in your own fucking lane Bobby!!!! Ugh, I don't like him and they are giving him so much screentime :( 

Same goes for Adam. Didn't he hook up with like 5 different girls in that little montage they threw together for him? Wonder how many girls might say the same by his own standards.

(edited)
1 hour ago, rho said:

This is all speculation but I got the impression she hooked up with Adam, but also Wes/Wiz. The implication there is that he has to step down and I have my fingers crossed Bobby doesn't get promoted. I don't think I can handle this show with Bobby on a power trip. If that's the case, I'm even more upset at him for yelling at Malia because he's not even involved. Stay in your own fucking lane Bobby!!!! Ugh, I don't like him and they are giving him so much screentime :( 

Same goes for Adam. Didn't he hook up with like 5 different girls in that little montage they threw together for him? Wonder how many girls might say the same by his own standards.

See that's one of the things that rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't think Bobby was one of the hook ups so for him to even open his mouth at Maliah in that regard....

I'm not going to like that shit at all. Especially after they way he acted last season with Julia, was that her name? like she OWED him something and Brian's nasty behavior as well. In those close quarters to be around men that are "nice enough" but then exhibit aggressive and entitled philosophies regarding flirtation, hooking up and the mating game becomes first creepy and then enraging to me. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 7

I think that Ben was just as wrong for hooking up with several of the stews on his various jaunts on this franchise. When you have a small group working together in confined quarters this kind of stuff can be deadly. We see it every season and it shouldn't matter whether it is a guy or a girl. You don't shit where you eat. If I was the captain I would make it a standing rule that if you get involved with a shipmate during charter one of you get fired. Now you say people will do that anyway and of course  that is true. But they would have to sneak around and hide it and that is perfect. Don't put it in everyones face. Non-fraternization should be the rule for the short eight week charter session. Of course this is a TV show and that wouldn't work because they want the drama.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Trooper York said:

I think that Ben was just as wrong for hooking up with several of the stews on his various jaunts on this franchise. When you have a small group working together in confined quarters this kind of stuff can be deadly. We see it every season and it shouldn't matter whether it is a guy or a girl. You don't shit where you eat. If I was the captain I would make it a standing rule that if you get involved with a shipmate during charter one of you get fired. Now you say people will do that anyway and of course  that is true. But they would have to sneak around and hide it and that is perfect. Don't put it in everyones face. Non-fraternization should be the rule for the short eight week charter session. Of course this is a TV show and that wouldn't work because they want the drama.

Oh I find it in bad taste as well. Ridiculous sexual antics aren't cute but my thing is the way it looks like it will be addressed. If Bobby is in a position where his professional input is appropriate and he's talking about it with regards to functioning on the ship then that's a different story although I doubt he'll be able to pull it off respectfully, but yeah, if it's cause he has no choice but to address it due to it affecting the working dynamic then that I can survive.

I just don't want to hear any disrespectful bullshit regarding where Mahlia's put her pink parts.

It goes without saying that it is nobody's business who she hooks up with. But it can be a legitimate issue if she is hooking up with her immediate superior and it affects work assignments. That is why there are so many rules about that in the workplace. I think you are right and we have to see how it plays out. Bobby is a dummy but a stopped clock can be right twice a day.

• Love 1

Every time I try to watch it on Bravotv.com, it says, "Sorry!!  Log in is not available right now.  Try again later." It's been down all flippen day. And?  Their video player sucks (same with MTV). I can get on OWN and watch Greenleaf flawlessly, with no stop-and-go stuttering nor commercial interruptions.  I guess when you are a billionaire like Oprah, you can have the best.

4 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Oh I find it in bad taste as well. Ridiculous sexual antics aren't cute but my thing is the way it looks like it will be addressed. If Bobby is in a position where his professional input is appropriate and he's talking about it with regards to functioning on the ship then that's a different story although I doubt he'll be able to pull it off respectfully, but yeah, if it's cause he has no choice but to address it due to it affecting the working dynamic then that I can survive.

I just don't want to hear any disrespectful bullshit regarding where Mahlia's put her pink parts.

How about they all stop objectifying each other?  That means the women don't stick their hands up guys' butts, talk about who they have been intimate with, or ogle their bodies when they take their shirts off.  Both sexes seem to have similar responses to guest nudity.  I don't like people talking about their sexual conquests/experiences, but these idiots are doing it while being filmed, it sounds to me like they signed up for public comment and scrutiny. 

There obviously is a conflict when one of the department heads has sex with a subordinate in another department.   I just think this show and Below Deck are pretty much based around these chuckleheads (especially the ones with very little yachting experience) ready, willing and able to drop their drawers to keep interest in their character. 

This is not a good show for the battle of the sexes or serious discussions about sexual harassment in the work place as Bravo rewards it sexual harassment and the telling of sexual tales.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Yeah, I mentioned that too, but I doubt he'd go for that.

I agree. It's quite the ordeal! I don't get the big fake chompers, though.

On May 3, 2017 at 10:51 AM, ivygirl said:

In my experience, I've learned that anyone who says "I don't micromanage" (or some iteration thereof) is, in fact, a micromanager to the nth degree. The more they say it, the more they micromanage, LOL

As soon as the captain said, "I don't micromanage" I knew I wasn't going to like her.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

There obviously is a conflict when one of the department heads has sex with a subordinate in another department

I think the problem is a sexual relationship within a department. The bosun and one of his deckhands. At least I think that is what is being implied. That is just not acceptable in any business in any way shape or form. Relationships down the chain of command are almost always forbidden. Period.

• Love 2
Just now, Trooper York said:

I think the problem is a sexual relationship within a department. The bosun and one of his deckhands. At least I think that is what is being implied. That is just not acceptable in any business in any way shape or form. Relationships down the chain of command are almost always forbidden. Period.

I am assuming a chef is a department head.  I think it could cause some irritation if the chef is banging a second or third stew.  Just me, but I do think it is hard as chief stew, to go toe to toe with the chef over an issue if he is banging one of your subordinates. I also think it adds pressure when the chief stew's advances end up in a rejection from the chef.   Eddie got in trouble for banging Rocky and they were keeping it on the down low and not even in the same department.  Yet Rocky and some deckhand were giving a round of applause for going out on a dinner date. Ben can seemingly bang pretty much anyone.  So I assume Adam will enjoy the same privilege.

It is a mess Trooper York. 

• Love 1

I inferred that the female deckhand was doing the beast with two backs with the bosun based on knucklehead Bobby's tirade in the coming attractions. 

The chef is a special case. Of course if I was the captain I would read him the riot act and tell him to not shit where he eats. A chef should understand that doncha think?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I think it could cause some irritation if the chef is banging a second or third stew. 

Ben did this on two or is it three seasons of Below Deck regular version and it wasn't on the down low.

But Bobby's complaint to Malia seemed to be that she was hooking up with Wes and then getting special treatment which because he is Bobby he felt necessary to express that in the douchiest way possible.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Ben did this on two or is it three seasons of Below Deck regular version and it wasn't on the down low.

But Bobby's complaint to Malia seemed to be that she was hooking up with Wes and then getting special treatment which because he is Bobby he felt necessary to express that in the douchiest way possible.

Bobby probably  has a future in politics with his ability to screw up even the most basic observations.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

How about they all stop objectifying each other?  That means the women don't stick their hands up guys' butts, talk about who they have been intimate with, or ogle their bodies when they take their shirts off.  Both sexes seem to have similar responses to guest nudity.  I don't like people talking about their sexual conquests/experiences, but these idiots are doing it while being filmed, it sounds to me like they signed up for public comment and scrutiny. 

There obviously is a conflict when one of the department heads has sex with a subordinate in another department.   I just think this show and Below Deck are pretty much based around these chuckleheads (especially the ones with very little yachting experience) ready, willing and able to drop their drawers to keep interest in their character. 

This is not a good show for the battle of the sexes or serious discussions about sexual harassment in the work place as Bravo rewards it sexual harassment and the telling of sexual tales.

My thing is that if it's hook ups then leave it at hooks ups. My bigger issue is hearing Adam bark something about "kissing a whore".  I can understand a conversation where their pathetic sexual displays affect the work dynamic and as much as I hate seeing the crew  brazenly bang all over the ship with whomever I'm just not about it turning into some sort of attack on whoever. I actually won't mind if the complaint is about some legit interference with work performance but if it's just an excuse for Bobby to come at Maliah cause she doesn't give him any play then that's just gross.

I need them to stop pretending like ego isn't the only thing that drives them in these scenarios. If you can't handle a hook up and you can't be mature about it afterwards then stop that shit. If afterwards you're crying and pissed or mad and rejected or embarrassed or what have you and now you want to lash out inappropriately, or have unrealistic expectations then you ain't ready to "love 'em and leave 'em".  It's already stupid to begin with but if you can't even pull it off without ending up in your feels one way or another then get yourself off and call it a night.

Geez!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4

Captain Sandy seems to be trying to prove herself…which I don't understand.  Doesn't her more than 20 years in the industry speak for itself?  Maybe it does and that's the problem.

I didn't care when she helped out the stews, though it felt like she was looking for a way to micromanage because she had nothing better to do.

Bobby seems exactly the same, and that's not a good thing.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Captain Sandy seems to be trying to prove herself…which I don't understand.  Doesn't her more than 20 years in the industry speak for itself?  Maybe it does and that's the problem.

I'm quoting yourself, but it could have been somone else :D

Just to add my two cents : and don't think she has to prove herself... Not in that sense... I think she's had to do that since the beginning of her carrier, and that in order to prove her crew that she is 100% legit, beacause without a 100% trust from your crew, you can't do your job properly, and tere could be some safety issues... And the most sad in all that is that I've got the feeling that the guys are less inclined to negate her legitimity than Hannah !

ETA : I think that the future episodes will prove me right or wrong, lol !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 2
On 5/4/2017 at 10:12 AM, zoeysmom said:

When Hannah was on WWHL, she was asked about Kate Chastain and she had positive things to say about her and then went maybe a bit too far claiming they were good friends.  Bobby who is usually slow on the uptake countered with the two had never met. 

But Kate Chastain's Twitter backs up Hannah's claim of at least mutual admiration: Twitter Kate Chastain

15 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I didn't care when she helped out the stews, though it felt like she was looking for a way to micromanage because she had nothing better to do.

Bobby seems exactly the same, and that's not a good thing.

I'm guessing Captain Sandy's never had a crew who were hired more for their ability to entertain on a reality TV show than to do the actual job of stewarding or deck handing.  This is not only the greenest crew she's ever worked with but the greenest crew we've seen on any season on Below Deck or Below Deck Med with the possible exception of Season 1 of BDM and we know how Captain's Mark's hands-off approach worked with that.

Yes, Kate and Eddie each had their unfortunate moments (rocket ship blanket, cheating on girlfriend(s)) but these two had far more skill and experience than anyone cast for either season of BDM.

• Love 5

Team Captain Sandy here.  Admittedly, she gets a head start in my book, just because it's so damn hard to be a woman in charge.  You're either hands-on involved, in which case you're interfering and micromanaging, or you simply issue orders and don't get involved, in which case you're "bossy" and "aloof" and "better than."  Either way, people are going to dislike you, complain, and call you a bitch.

I liked the captain pitching in during that ridiculous "24-hour turnaround" the show artificially imposes to create drama, when the crew doesn't know each other, or have the first idea about what they're doing.  And I thought she showed her experience with the directive to go to bed.  It takes a smart boss to know adequate sleep is going to pay off in crew stability and efficiency, in the long run.

The source of the most interesting friction, I think, is going to be the "chief stew" woman who's kind of slumming for money on this trip as a "second stew."  Really hard to take instructions when you're more used to giving them, and undoubtedly believe your way would be better.

• Love 7