Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Who's the Boss?

• Start Topic

The crew of the luxury yacht Sirocco sets sail in the waters off of Croatia. Hannahand Bobby are joined by seven new shipmates. Hannah is used to running the interior her way, but suddenly finds herself at odds with a seasoned new leader - Captain Sandy. Bobby is once again looking for love while also working in close quarters with his ex. Chef Adam brings a chilled-out surfer vibe to the galley, as deckhand Malia finds herself the center of attention with the guys. When Captain Sandy interferes with a picnic, Hannah is left wondering if she will make it through the season.

The first episode of the new season is already available on on-demand.  The female captain is handling things much differently.  All the interior and exterior are good looking so it could be interesting.  Although Bobby from season 1 has returned and it seems like he is letting his five minutes of fame go to his head.

• Love 4

Yay ! It's back. And in Croatia ! I'm looking forward to see the landscapes form my early teenage vacations !

I already watched this ep and it's interesting to see a female captain and her way to do the things.  I will come back with my comments on this ep when aired !

• Love 1

I love this boat. Best one so far in all the below deck yachts.

I'm so glad there is a new chef this season. 

Am liking the new captain but there will be serious fighting as the season goes along I think. Can't wait

• Love 4

Looking forward to this season.  Captain Sandy is certainly more hands on than other captains we've seen (what was the name of last season's Med captain?). For someone who says she doesn't micro-manage, she's certainly doing a lot of that, imo.

I really hope it doesn't turn into a Battle of the Bitches between Sandy and Hannah, though.  

So far, liking the new chef (Adam-?), but looks like the previews show him being kind of a douche at some point.  

Looks like lots of shenanigans will be occurring, but I'm okay with that if I can keep looking at Croatia - I think I've just added another destination to my bucket list!  :-)

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did that new chef Adam throw a frozen leg of something (lamb?) into the garbage? 

It appeared that way, but the meat also looked like it had a lot of freezer burn.  Either that, or it may have been frozen, defrosted and then frozen again, so not something that he would want to be preparing for guests (or anyone, for that matter).

• Love 7

I enjoyed the episode and think the new crew will be interesting.  I love that there is a female captain.  Nice to see Hannah is back but God, Bobby is so immature.  And it was proven by his and Hannah's appearance on WWHL.  They were both going at it with each other.  Andy was loving it. 

• Love 1

I kind of like Captain Sandy. I kind of see both sides of the Hannah/Captain Sandy issue where it is annoying to be micromanaged, but like Sandy said she has a fairly green crew and I liked that she seems to be willing to help out. Probably not the best time to have deckhand girl learn to more about the boat, but I can see why she did that. I was probably the only one who liked Captain Mark from last season. I have been over Captain Lee for awhile now.

Bobby is so immature. I was really hoping that since he was back he would be more about the work and less about the women. I thought he was a dick last season, but was hoping that he saw himself on television and changed. That did not happen. I hate to give Bobby some credit, but he did say (Was it him? If it wasn't I take this all back) something like Captain Sandy working with them would help the rest of the crew learn her style of being Captain, and how she expects things to get done.

I found myself more annoyed by Hannah this episode. I was pretty indifferent to her last season. Sometimes I liked her and sometimes I did not. I just found her annoying in this episode.

I am not really sure about any of the new people yet. They have not done too much yet. I think I might like the Bosun, but it is too early to tell. He seems competent though. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did that new chef Adam throw a frozen leg of something (lamb?) into the garbage? 

Ahoy there! I caught that too?! He was either a. really impressed with a great cut of meat and happy to be working with it or b. he was being snarky and ditched it.

Bobby's back with braces! He's such. a. tool. He reminds me of a big bouncy drooling labrador that will endlessly fetch with a playbone. Cute, loyal but totally friendzoned. 

Hannah, my countryperson, is already gunning for Cpt Sandy. You can always tell when Hannah is drunk, because she over enunciates and speaks very carefully. I cannot look at her without remembering drunk Hannah telling Ben (now with rabbity Emily) how he will 'always have a piece of my heart' whilst practically dry humping him. She was an embarrassment. I predict she is again going to fall for the Chef in a big way and create a super awkward working dynamic with all the stews in the Galley. Again.

Can i just take a moment to thank the reality tv gods for the return of this franchise. Since the end of the last BD, I have had to watch that dreadful Joey Gibbons BD rip off in the snow. Can't remember what it is called now, but 2nd time around. 

I'm happy to see a new captain. It can't alway be about Cpt Lee (outstanding though he is), rickety Kate and Ben. 

Bugsy is this season's Emily. Just saying.

• Love 4
(edited)

I never knew writing down a passenger's food order was considered declasse.  It is probably much better to trot the wrong food upstairs return it when the order is wrong and then bitch at the chef.  Bugsy seems to be borrowing trouble. 

Is Hannah  just aiming for unlikable?  I am fairly certain Captain Sandy more experience in yachting than Hannah. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 8
(edited)

@queenjen. Wow. Ben is still with Emily? 

I also cringed at that Gibbons rip off show

Did anyone catch who took the fall in the previews and had the blood all over the place? Like that stews paper cut, (the threatening to rub lemon juice in it was funny)  I wonder if Chef Adam does double duty as a nurse. Probably over broken hearts as well. 

I wonder if Captain Sandy's reputation will stay in tact after her cruise with this bunch. She just kept repeating that comment. "I am a professional in good standing..." Of course her crew is green and ready for some action, we didn't expect smooth sailing, did we? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Forgot her comment (paraphrased)
  • Love 1

I'm not impressed with the new Captain.  She doesn't seem to be very professional to me.  I do not believe her contention about her years of experience.  She acts more like a guest or deck hand.  She's not even dressed appropriately.  If this continues, I won't watch much of this season.

The Chef seemed fine, but, then he didn't.  Why are chef's so temperamental?  I don't like that.  

I haven't decided about the rest of the cast.  Bobbie can be annoying, but, I think I tolerate him more than most. 

Does anyone know the rules about fooling around on the ship? What's considered off bounds? 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Chef seemed fine

Honestly I thought the post-it note thing made perfect sense for that crowd. Though putting butter in something for a dairy free person is bad form.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Looking forward to this season.  Captain Sandy is certainly more hands on than other captains we've seen (what was the name of last season's Med captain?). For someone who says she doesn't micro-manage, she's certainly doing a lot of that, imo.

In my experience, I've learned that anyone who says "I don't micromanage" (or some iteration thereof) is, in fact, a micromanager to the nth degree. The more they say it, the more they micromanage, LOL

10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am not really sure about any of the new people yet. They have not done too much yet. I think I might like the Bosun, but it is too early to tell. He seems competent though. 

Don't worry, there's plenty of time for them to disappoint us and I'm sure the Bosun will demonstrate his incompetence in no time ;)

• Love 7

I think Capt Lee set the bar for yacht captain standards for me.  I wasn't thrilled with last year's Below Deck Mediterranean's captain but he instilled more confidence in me than Capt Sandy does. 

• Love 2
  1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Chef seemed fine

Honestly I thought the post-it note thing made perfect sense for that crowd. Though putting butter in something for a dairy free person is bad form.

His little diatribe to the effect that anyone who has a long list of dietary restrictions is just full of shit is not only nonsense, it's potentially dangerous. While there are certainly people who use dietary restrictions just to make themselves feel special, there are many, many people whose health, even their life, depends on them adhering to a strict diet, and a strict set of restrictions. It's not Cheffy Golightly's job to decide what people can and can't eat.

• Love 10

Yes, as a chef, you might be annoyed or even in disbelief about a patron's food sensitives, but, you have to honor their requests, because it could be life threatening.  I do really roll my eyes though, with all these people who NOW think it's trendy to be gluten free.  Such nonsense.  There's no reason to do that, unless you really are intolerant of gluten.  People don't realize that's gluten free products often are more caloric than those that aren't.  They somehow think it means the food had lower calories. Too funny.  But, some people are very allergic to shellfish and you can't be too careful with that.  If I was very allergic to any food, I'm not sure I would go on a chartered ship like that.  I'm sure they have an Epi pen, but, still......... 

I think the true ladies came out when they wanted some nachos in the middle of the night.  I don't think that I would have awakened the chef to make that kind of dish at 3:00 a.m.  I might have asked for some snacks already prepared.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

But, some people are very allergic to shellfish and you can't be too careful with that.  If I was very allergic to any food, I'm not sure I would go on a chartered ship like that.  I'm sure they have an Epi pen, but, still......... 

Exactly. Seafood (ok maybe not all, but some) restaurants are known for deep frying the fish/seafood in the same oil as they do French fries or other foods. I once got a quail done that way and they were very surprised that it affected me, as they admitted they did cook it in the same oil. They thought I was being picky when I explained to the waitress politely that I was allergic to seafood. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Exactly. Seafood (ok maybe not all, but some) restaurants are known for deep frying the fish/seafood in the same oil as they do French fries or other foods. I once got a quail done that way and they were very surprised that it affected me, as they admitted they did cook it in the same oil. They thought I was being picky when I explained to the waitress politely that I was allergic to seafood. 

OMG!  That should be criminal.  Talk about negligence.  I'd stay away from them  I have a friend who is also very allergic.  It was so bad, that I felt uncomfortable going into a restaurant with her.  You never can be sure that sane people are in charge of the food. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think the true ladies came out when they wanted some nachos in the middle of the night.  I don't think that I would have awakened the chef to make that kind of dish at 3:00 a.m.  I might have asked for some snacks already prepared.  

As a paying customer, had you done that, I'd have been absolutely furious ! If I order something, you'd better to serve what I ordered.... I'm the person who pays !

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Chef seemed fine, but, then he didn't.  Why are chef's so temperamental?  I don't like that. 

Like it or not, Chefs are Divas... And, in THEIR Kitchen, they're THE boss. For real.

And no offense to you, really, but as a former yachtie AND wife of a Diva (aka French Chef), trust me, I know what I'm talking about....

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG!  That should be criminal.  Talk about negligence.  I'd stay away from them  I have a friend who is also very allergic.  It was so bad, that I felt uncomfortable going into a restaurant with her.  You never can be sure that sane people are in charge of the food. 

So maybe those ladies had some valid food issues. I do agree, however, with the poster above (who was talking about gluten intolerance) that some requests are trendy and not based on real dietary needs. 

Credit re: original gluten discussIon belongs to @SunnyBeBe

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

As a paying customer, had you done that, I'd have been absolutely furious ! If I order something, you'd better to serve what I ordered.... I'm the person who pays !

Like it or not, Chefs are Divas... And, in THEIR Kitchen, they're THE boss. For real.

And no offense to you, really, but as a former yachtie AND wife of a Diva (aka French Chef), trust me, I know what I'm talking about....

I"m not saying that Hannah should have suggested prepared snacks but, I THE PAYING GUEST would have asked for the prepared snacks.  Of course, it's up to her.  She's paying.  I just can't see me waking up the chef to cook at that hour.  But, I'm a considerate person.  lol 

• Love 14
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I"m not saying that Hannah should have suggested prepared snacks but, I THE PAYING GUEST would have asked for the prepared snacks.  Of course, it's up to her.  She's paying.  I just can't see me waking up the chef to cook at that hour.  But, I'm a considerate person.  lol 

Ho, ok, sorry ! I understood it the wrong way. Apologizes, because, yes, I probably would have asked for something really easy to make, yes !

• Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Ho, ok, sorry ! I understood it the wrong way. Apologizes, because, yes, I probably would have asked for something really easy to make, yes !

I have never taken a charter like the ones they show.  I don't know how much they cost, but, I think they are very expensive.  I think between $30,000.-50,000. for the week.  So, I can see why you might expect to have food available when you want it.  I suppose you hope to be compensated at tip time. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have never taken a charter like the ones they show.  I don't know how much they cost, but, I think they are very expensive.  I think between $30,000.-50,000. for the week.  So, I can see why you might expect to have food available when you want it.  I suppose you hope to be compensated at tip time. 

add a "1" before ^_^ Yes, for real.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

So maybe those ladies had some valid food issues. I do agree, however, with the poster above (who was talking about gluten intolerance) that some requests are trendy and not based on real dietary needs. 

Kate Chastain tweeted something to the effect the type of women who order broccoli as a side and then eat your French fries.  I can see having a brown over white rice preference.

18 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Question, would a yacht usually have some type of snack available for late night munching?  We have seen guests get pizza, popcorn, prepared by the deck crew and stews.  Or is it unusual? 

I agree about Chefs and it is difficult when the wait staff can't comport to some pretty basic requests from the Chef.  Sometimes the stews act as if the most difficult part of the meal is serving it.

10 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

This is when I get so disappointed with reality TV.  It is all about camera time and building your brand via reality TV. Instagram followers, twitter followers. I know I know, don't be naive. Of course it is ! And yet, each time I feel disappointed . Captain Lee and Captain Howard did not seem interested in life on camera. Bobby is an idiot and showed it on WWHL. From the first frame of Below Deck Med season 2, it was all about playing to the camera and getting followers. Who the fuck cares ?? unfortunately  way to many in this social media driven society. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Kate Chastain tweeted something to the effect the type of women who order broccoli as a side and then eat your French fries.  I can see having a brown over white rice preference.

Question, would a yacht usually have some type of snack available for late night munching?  We have seen guests get pizza, popcorn, prepared by the deck crew and stews.  Or is it unusual? 

I agree about Chefs and it is difficult when the wait staff can't comport to some pretty basic requests from the Chef.  Sometimes the stews act as if the most difficult part of the meal is serving it.

Rocky would have served them a galley made  snack! 

2 minutes ago, missyb said:

Bobby is an idiot and showed it on WWHL.

Agreed