Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E25: Ua mau ke ea o ka ʻāina i ka pono (The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The wedding was offscreen, during the first half of the season but before ep 13. It was between Max & his girlfriend Sabrina.

It seems very weird to me that the EP would tease a wedding, and then it happens off-screen.  I'd say it's either bad or lazy writing, or they planned a wedding for the show (maybe with Max and his gf, or maybe another couple), but then something happened to change plans.

As for Grace Park being pregnant, might be true, but I also think she considered leaving the show... is it possible she hasn't decided yet? There was this video from the last day of shooting in which someone said that it's "a possible series wrap-up for Grace", and she had signatures all over her surfboard. 

On 5/13/2017 at 2:07 AM, pinkglove said:

The writers could at least come up with some sort of explanation why it gets to her so much. 

She's a girl - what more explanation do you need? <sarcasm> Humor aside, I think it really may boil down to that teeny sexist attitude.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:54 AM, jhlipton said:

I deleted it when I saw three extremely boring storylines -- Kono the sex-trafficing-crime-stopper, Chin and "the San Francisco Treat" and Steve-Danny-and-Charlie.  Bleh/

Have you seen this show?  5-0 are the experts in anything and everything!

I haven't watched it either. In fact, it's coming off of my DVR list. I like the characters, I don't even mind the bickering, I like the scenery and some of the action sequences, but I'm kind of done with the torture and plot line idiocy.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, VegetasMom said:

Is this a universe in which the FBI does not exist?  Why would the individual localities be dealing with this on their own?  Interstate sex trafficking sounds like the feds to me.  

Yep, that's who would handle it. 

On 5/15/2017 at 5:58 AM, Raja said:

Ha, high heels cease to be a problem when the woman wears the magical boots with high heels. On a more grounded show it is not done. But here we have the super SEAL and skinny mini Kono

Heels are pretty common on procedurals - I've rolled my eyes many a time - but they would be more in the 5-0 category, and not the grounded/gritty ones that really try to be realistic.

• Love 3

I normally defend heels or wedges when they're used in order to make blocking easier (i.e. getting Lucy Liu and Johnny Lee Miller in one frame with both of them standing or walking and Liu in flats would be head-ache inducing) but Abby was all on her own in that scene, nobody towering over her. I call it a rare misstep by the wardrobe department because Kono does not wears heels in the field (except when she's undercover). Actually Kono's one of the most sensible dressed female police officers on tv - years of watching Castle made me appreciate this aspect of the show. She can run and kick ass in her outfits and they don't look as if she must have stashed away some of Adam's Yakuza money in order to be able to afford them.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

She's a girl - what more explanation do you need? <sarcasm> Humor aside, I think it really may boil down to that teeny sexist attitude.

I agree but it will be hard to sell because she's been a girl since season 1 and she only started acting like this few episodes ago (could she be pregnant already in the former sex trafficking episode?). Maybe it was the first time when they actually rescued really young girls from sex trafficking, but if she was so passionate about the whole thing, how could it never come up in her relationship with Sang Min? Also, there was this episode in which Jerry accidentally spotted a woman who was wanted for sex trafficking (he saw her being kidnapped). Chin and Kono were investigating alone and it didn't seem personal for the latter.

Not to mention that 5-0 stumbled upon a sex trafficking ring in Season 1 (when they were looking for the diplomat's daughter) and there was no emotional reaction from Kono. She was mainly interested in saving a dog ;) Girls were a bit older but still. 

Well, I hope she'll be coming back at some point next season, because that would be a really dumb way to send her away for good. 

• Love 2

Steve has been really redeeming himself with me. Not being the selfish, self-centered, arrogant jerk he has been for the past few seasons. And really glad he is back to his sweet and kind self. And also risking his life. But needs to stop and smell the roses

I know Grace had a baby in 2014. Wonder if she is pregnant in real life as she kept her first pregnancy a secret. And wonder if it is going to have her leave the show.

Danny I know a lot of people do not like his whining and complaining. But still, you can't in a sense blame him for what Steve puts him through.  And endangering him in the process. Steve is a Seal and does not act like a cop. Though he does have Naval Intelligence.

Jerry I can tolerate. As really have no problems with him. As he is like a teddy bear.

Chin is the only one I like. And really he seems to be the only sane person on the task force. Stay that way as really he is the perfect yin to everybody's yang.

2 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Chin is the only one I like. And really he seems to be the only sane person on the task force. Stay that way as really he is the perfect yin to everybody's yang.

With the exception of refusing to wear his helmet on his motorcycle, I would agree. He's also the best looking (my personal taste, mileage varies).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Danny I know a lot of people do not like his whining and complaining. But still, you can't in a sense blame him for what Steve puts him through.  And endangering him in the process. Steve is a Seal and does not act like a cop. Though he does have Naval Intelligence.

I don't think it's fair to blame Steve for "what he puts him through". It could've been valid in the first season, when Steve "forced him" to be his partner and Danny suddenly found himself in the field with a crazy guy, and had to play along. But it's been seven years and if Danny really didn't like it, he could've gotten out a million times. By now he knows Steve pretty well and he knows what to expect (even if it's the unexpected). It's his personal decision to stay in 5-0, not Steve's.

That said, I don't mind Danny's whining and I don't think he should stop, if it helps him. No matter how many times he says "I hate you" without actually meaning it, he's still a pretty awesome friend. 

I think people on the team complement each other pretty well. I agree that Chin is the most balanced but like Steve, he's also not very good at expressing emotions and asking for help. Sometimes it takes Danny to say what everyone wants to say. And sometimes it takes Steve's control issues to get things done. 

I like everyone, apart from Steve and Danny's girlfriends. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

With the exception of refusing to wear his helmet on his motorcycle, I would agree. He's also the best looking (my personal taste, mileage varies).

He also wears a small towel quite well!  Nice legs!!

• Love 2

I wonder if Steve and Chin get not expressing emotions from each other

Point I am making is that sometimes Steve plays God in Danny's life like driving his car. And yes he gets car sick but that does not mean, if Danny just got all serious about it and no jokes aside, he would have Steve back off. Danny man up and take back your car if you do not want Steve to drive it.

Just really think Steve can be a bit arrogant and selfish. Danny is an awesome friend. Who puts up a lot. And really Danny cares about his friend. Something that Steve sometimes just does not seem to return in favor. Despite the fact he said his parents raised him to know showing feelings was a weakness. Danny was taught showing weakness was a sign of caring by his parents.

Remember in the early seasons they hugged when they got out of jams?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

Point I am making is that sometimes Steve plays God in Danny's life like driving his car. And yes he gets car sick but that does not mean, if Danny just got all serious about it and no jokes aside, he would have Steve back off. Danny man up and take back your car if you do not want Steve to drive it.

Just really think Steve can be a bit arrogant and selfish. Danny is an awesome friend. Who puts up a lot. And really Danny cares about his friend. Something that Steve sometimes just does not seem to return in favor. Despite the fact he said his parents raised him to know showing feelings was a weakness. Danny was taught showing weakness was a sign of caring by his parents.

As someone who gets car sick - passenger side front works just fine. It's the back seat that's the killer. (doesn't really add anything to the conversation, and I forgot Steve had ever said that). I think Danny, for all his kvetching, has been a good friend as well.

1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

I wonder if Steve and Chin get not expressing emotions from each other

As for Steve and Chin, I think when they were boys, they might have had similar relationships with their fathers (who were both cops). Then Steve was mentored by Joe White and Chin, by Steve's father. Most important male figures in their lives weren't exactly encouraging when it came to displaying emotions; it's pretty hard to change such patterns.

Different people show that they care in different ways, I wouldn't say Steve doesn't return a favor. He's always there for Danny when Danny needs him. Yes, sometimes he's controlling in their everyday life but it almost always boils down to silly little things. Just like Danny's negative but it's also almost always about silly little things or temporary stress. When it gets serious, both are supportive of each other.

One of my favourite episodes of them together was the one in which they were stuck in a flat, surveilling a woman who stole the diamonds. You probably remember it, since you've mentioned their talk about how they were raised. I really loved their argument over ordering dinner - because I've had the same argument MANY times with one of my closest friends, who's also pretty controlling. Every time I called him out on never taking my opinion into consideration, he'd say that I'm always indifferent. And actually, it was kind of true - I really didn't care that much about what or where we ate, I was just annoyed that he's selfish (and now I think that he wasn't, it just scared him to not have the situation under control). 

I actually think that Danny doesn't really care if Steve's driving his car. He doesn't need that kind of control. What he does need is something to complain about, so it really suits them both ;)

• Love 2

Just think Danny just needs to put his foot down at times. As really if Danny got all serious about wanting to chose what he ate and said, Steve we are not having Indian food, we are having pizza and that's final or something to that extent. 

Steve kind of reminds me of a spoiled brat who gets his way. He is the boss. But still in a sense, he needs to let Danny chose every once and awhile. Plus he is just not a team player in that department at times. Danny may be at times indifferent. But Steve can be pretty selfish. Which is what Chin is. Both a team player and a team leader. And that is why I love Chin. He is both!

For the record Danny is not negative a lot of times. Just he cares. That is the way I see it. He is realistic. When Steve is not.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:16 AM, dwmarch said:

Why did the HPD cars EXPLODE when they were hit? Were they carrying the rocket pod ammo for Duke's aerial assault fleet?

They were leftover cars from CHiPs, circa 1980s.

• Love 4

This whole episode was kind of confusing, well at least for my liking. 

I also don't mind Steve and Danny' bickering but maybe, just maybe it is getting a little worn-out.

Also I know everyone seems to love Adam and maybe it's just me but I don't like his relationship with Kono at all. It makes her look weak at times and I don't like it. I mean as her husband he should be pretty involved in every aspect of her life and him being absent for more episodes than not, is not helping. Writers should fix that, kill him off, send him to Japan... I don't know. First few seasons looked promising regarding Kono's character becoming strong kick-ass woman and then they ruined it.

At the moment Chin is the only one that doesn't disappoint. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, annie7 said:

This whole episode was kind of confusing, well at least for my liking. 

I also don't mind Steve and Danny' bickering but maybe, just maybe it is getting a little worn-out.

Also I know everyone seems to love Adam and maybe it's just me but I don't like his relationship with Kono at all. It makes her look weak at times and I don't like it. I mean as her husband he should be pretty involved in every aspect of her life and him being absent for more episodes than not, is not helping. Writers should fix that, kill him off, send him to Japan... I don't know. First few seasons looked promising regarding Kono's character becoming strong kick-ass woman and then they ruined it.

At the moment Chin is the only one that doesn't disappoint. 

Kono is a human being, she doesn't have to be a strong kick-ass woman all the time. Actually, the fact that she allows herself to show weakness from time to time only proves that she's a strong kick-ass woman. 

I think that her relationship with Adam added some depth to her character. It was brave to leave with him after he killed his brother; she clearly loved her job and her friends, and I believe she never lived outside Hawaii. And then she spent some time completely alone looking for Adam; this must have been hard. I agree that it's unfortunate that he can't be on the show more often but when he's, I usually enjoy it. Unlike other people, I liked it when he came to Mexico, even if he was only there as an emotional support. And I also liked them together in the episode in which they were kidnapped by a death cult; they worked together well and it was evident that one makes the situation much more bearable for the other. 

Also, one more thing that is awesome about Kono in her relationship with Adam is that she never cut him any slack. She clearly loved him very much but she still didn't want to get married to a man who got ties to the Yakuza. 

However, I do think that Adam's character was more promising. He didn't get enough airtime and what's more important, he didn't get enough chances to talk with other characters. He was usually either displaying his love for Kono, being sorry for his past or being in grave danger. 

I think someone could just as well said that Malia or Sara made Chin weak. 

Adam doesn't need to be on the show all the time - he's not a regular cast member.

I'm getting tired of Steve's need to get himself injured or killed.  And I know this has been brought up before, but  why in God's name do the writers have him doing things that no sane person w/an organ transplant could-or should- do!!!  Danny has a right & duty to keep on him abt it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Adam doesn't need to be on the show all the time - he's not a regular cast member.

I'm getting tired of Steve's need to get himself injured or killed.  And I know this has been brought up before, but  why in God's name do the writers have him doing things that no sane person w/an organ transplant could-or should- do!!!  Danny has a right & duty to keep on him abt it.

Well it is not as bad as the magic reset button the action stars of old had after every adventure but this Steve is not Jack Lord. His reason for being is to be the SEAL, thus he can do anything. They just wrote themselves into another box like when they killed off Wo Fat in the 100th episode and then made Adam's brother Wo Fat lite.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Well it is not as bad as the magic reset button the action stars of old had after every adventure but this Steve is not Jack Lord. His reason for being is to be the SEAL, thus he can do anything. They just wrote themselves into another box like when they killed off Wo Fat in the 100th episode and then made Adam's brother Wo Fat lite.

Adam's brother was killed by Adam long before Wo Fat died :) You probably mean Malia's brother and Chin's brother-in-law, Gabriel :)

• Love 1
On 5/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, Passepartout said:

But really Steve as great as he is a SEAL and leader, but as a team player not so much.

Not that great a SEAL, i mean he was almost beat in hand to hand combat by some unnamed human trafficer goon. And they didn't even bother to show how Steve beat him.

On 5/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, GustheCat said:

After the show about the dirty bomb (Season 7 Ep 18), both Ganesh and Icommented about how the uranium that was in that bomb was NOT harmful to humans. It was not depleted uranium, which is the only type of uranium that could cause harm when used in a bomb. Uranium is a better radiation shield than lead, it simply is not going to kill you or cause issues for the type of exposure that Steve had in the episode. Why do the producers and writers think the viewers are so gullible? Why not just change the source of the uranium that was stolen so that it would have been highly radioactive and dangerous?

I think you have it backwards, depleted uranium, is the least harmful to humans with the radioactive isotopes lowered (or depleted). The most harmful would be enriched uranium which is used in reactors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/6/2017 at 7:15 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Not that great a SEAL, i mean he was almost beat in hand to hand combat by some unnamed human trafficer goon. And they didn't even bother to show how Steve beat him.

Father Time,  the undisputed heavyweight champion. When the series started 7 years ago Lt. Commander McGarrett was already off of the teams and in Naval Intelligence, like Jack Lord's McGarrett was. 

Edited by Raja

Until we saw Kono on the plane at the end, I was convinced that her "life-changing decision" was going to be quitting 5-O to become a victim's advocate or a counselor or something.  Runner-up theory (after the scene in the grocery store) was something to do with a pregnancy--either chucking it all to go on the mommy track, or choosing to end a pregnancy because she was so affected from seeing how awful people can be to each other. 

Then she jetted off to...be a one-woman ass-kicking brigade?  Uh.  OK.  it will be interesting to see where they go with this next season.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:51 PM, Clanstarling said:

With the exception of refusing to wear his helmet on his motorcycle, I would agree.

This has always been an issue for me. But I was in Honolulu last month and the tour I was on, the guide actually mentioned that there was no official motorcycle helmet law in Honolulu as we rode by the building for the 5-O headquarters.  While I still don't agree with it, it made a little more sense after I heard that -- and looked around the town.

• Love 1