Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Georgia

• Start Topic

Selina helps monitor the first free and democratic election in Georgia - the country, not the state - and is reunited with an old "friend." Meanwhile, Mike and Gary hide evidence of a major mishap, and Jonah and Richard have an eventful night out. Back in the U.S., Dan tries to help Amy.

Promo:

Always a joy to have Minna and her bluntness around. She's basically a switched-on, diplomatic version of Richard.

I have two friends who have see pent a large part of the masters in Georgia, I'd be interested to get their take on how representative the show was. I understand it's more democratic and modern, but not without its chaotic charm

• Love 1

She may actually be my favorite of Selina's foils. I hope to see her again this season.

After expecting that Amy would torpedo Buddy's campaign, I chortled when she just peaced out after he fell for her talk show story. Who's your favorite character [on Downton Abbey]? -I don't know, I guess Abbey. ??

This show is so great with physical comedy, all those sight gags with Gary in the background.

Taken to a foreign country Gary and Mike manage to vote illegally, and Jonah and Richard end up at a Nazi meet up. You really can't take these guys anywhere.

And so Doyle got to experience what Selina did with Montez. Perfect way to show the arbitrary nature of these things happening.

Wow, mixing Dan's genes with Selina's is not a very wise choice considering that Marjorie was worried about what would get passed on to the kid. But Danny's kind of graduated, no? From dating daughters of political VIPs, to impregnating one.

• Love 6
(edited)

Watching Gary try to gnaw the top off of that water bottle in the background was hilarious.

I was amazed that Selina had a millisecond of integrity when she considered not taking the first donation. Then I realized that she just didn't want to get caught, which is an entirely different matter.

Minna talking about the poisoned sea cucumber dick and how good it was for vaginal orgasms had me both cringing and laughing. I also loved that Selina made Gary taste the soup to make sure it wasn't poisoned and then decided not to eat it after all because it had carrots.

I know I should feel bad that Jonah is being left out, but I can't. I can't blame anyone for trying to ditch him at every possible opportunity. Why put yourself through eating a meal in his presence if you don't have to? At least at a cocktail party you can just walk away, but at dinner you're stuck at the table with him for the entire meal.

Loved that as soon as Katherine mentioned she and Marjorie wanted to have a baby, Dan cut her off and immediately offered his sperm. Ha!

Run, Amy, run! Get out of Carson City and never look back!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

God even I was yelling at Minna to STFU. 

Watching Gary try to gnaw the top off of that water bottle in the background was hilarious.

I couldn't figure out why he was doing that, then I remembered the green thumb. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Minna talking about the poisoned sea cucumber dick and how good it was for vaginal orgasms had me both cringing and laughing.

That woman is a true professional because I could not make it through that dialogue with out cracking up.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know I should feel bad that Jonah is being left out, but I can't. I can't blame anyone for trying to ditch him at every possible opportunity.

I felt bad when he saw them at dinner, but then when he came charging in calling them 'pinocchios', I know he probably brings about 99% of it on himself. 

I do like how everyone knew Ben and he kept popping up everywhere. This has got to be the funniest I've ever seen Minna. She's typically droll to Selina, so I couldn't figure out why she was being more friendly until she was talking about the sea cucumber!

• Love 5
(edited)

Not enough Amy & Dan interaction, but v. glad she's done with Buddy.

Tony Hale really is a master at physical comedy. I too forgot about the thumb and was like "Why the heck is he...OH!" Lol. It was almost impossible to pay attention to Selina's convo with Ben and Kent. 

I watched the end of Office Space right before Veep and Gary Cole's Lumbergh could definitely be a cousin to Kent. The man hasn't aged much over the years. 

Minna *was* slightly more enjoyable this time around--the goofy in love stuff helped--but I'm a little tired of her and don't really need her to come back.

Can't believe Dan had enough restraint not to immediately offer to uh take Catherine and Marjorie up on the offer "the old-fashioned way" so to speak.

There was a pathetic sweetness to Richard inviting Jonah to hang out with him, but then of course they end up at a nazi rally.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2

I watched the end of Office Space right before Veep and Gary Cole's Lumbergh could definitely be a cousin to Kent. The man hasn't aged much over the years. 

Don't forget Bingo Bob Russell, the VP on The West Wing. 

(edited)

I enjoyed this one a lot. I laughed out loud when Selina said "You know, I'm just saying the poisoning and the torture and the death squads aside, I think Merman is really good people". Her swallowing disgustedly after saying something so ridiculous is always good for a laugh.

Also loved Gary trying the soup. Watching him attempt to say no to her is hysterical.

Edited by asabovesobelow
  • Love 8

It seems like Amy taking off on Buddy leaves the door open for more Dan/Amy interaction. Maybe he can get her a job on the show. 

When Dan left the conversation with Catherine and got on the phone with "Amber", was that the same woman who was Jonah's last date from last week?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Don't forget Bingo Bob Russell, the VP on The West Wing. 

Also Kurt on The Good Wife and now The Good Fight.  This is a very employed actor.  

53 minutes ago, taragel said:

Can't believe Dan had enough restraint not to immediately offer to uh take Catherine and Marjorie up on the offer "the old-fashioned way" so to speak.

There was a pathetic sweetness to Richard inviting Jonah to hang out with him, but then of course they end up at a nazi rally.

Maybe Dan's more woke than we realized.  Nothing pathetic about Richard, one of my favourite characters on television ; )  

• Love 3

The Godmother of the Caucasian Spring. Yikes. That probably won't play as well in the US as it might in the country of Georgia. Except perhaps in certain parts of the state of Georgia...

Minna talking about the poisoned sea cucumber dick and how good it was for vaginal orgasms had me both cringing and laughing.

I actually gasped. The visual of that is something you might not want to have stuck in your head.

The Veep writers have definitely hit their Emmy-winning stride again. I think they're going to have some serious competition this year though from the Brockmire writers.

• Love 1

Also loved Gary trying the soup. Watching him attempt to say no to her is hysterical.

I was dying. Then after he tastes it she says "oh this has carrots I'm not eating it". 

Tony Hale deserves every award  for this role. I will never forget this one.  I just watched it again and I have tears in my eyes. 

Gary gets a nosebleed

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know I should feel bad that Jonah is being left out, but I can't.

Jonah really is the worst--"Sex-trafficking workshop!" "Anti-sex trafficking workshop" "Ugh, lame"--but I did feel bad for him when he was telling his mother that when she calls, he only gets more homesick. Aw. I know, I know, it's Jonah.

Yay! Stephen Fry!

Loved Selina's black coat.

Gary and Mike's trauma over accidentally voting was hilarious.

"Montez and Doyle, they're trying to make Georgia more like America. I saw your last election. No, thank you." TOO REAL. (Or, as the Vulture review put it, TOO SOON.)

Dan's answer to Marjorie asking how his family was was so Dan. "I dunno. Why? Have you heard something?" 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Loved when Jonah tried to use Selina's threat against him on Richard but failed miserably. 

Not surprising that Jonah is the kind of person who gets the opportunity to travel internationally and then wants to eat Spaghetti-o's (or the Georgian equivalent).

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Gary and Mike's trauma over accidentally voting was hilarious.

I loved their desperate hug. Which was then only improved when Gary's response to Mike being room-less was a hard pass. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

[Gary Cole] Also Kurt on The Good Wife and now The Good Fight.  This is a very employed actor.  

And has been for a long time. After he starred for three seasons on the moody Midnight Caller (I wish that series were available to watch now; it was good, as I recall) and then jumped into being the dad in the goofy Brady Bunch movies, I could see that he could handle any mix of drama and/or comedy.

• Love 3

It only just now occurs to me that whoever recommended the concert to Jonah must have thought he was a skinhead. 

I don't get why Minna thinks she and Selina are actually friends. Selina is so obviously and openly hostile towards her. Didn't she hear her say "Fuck" the minute she saw her? Or "oh my God" when Minna said they had another 45-50 minutes left in the car ride? Or asking if her son threw himself out of a moving town car? 

Amy seems like she's determined to find some campaign she can actually win, so I'll be interested to see where she goes from here. Who else can run for office?

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get why Minna thinks she and Selina are actually friends. Selina is so obviously and openly hostile towards her. Didn't she hear her say "Fuck" the minute she saw her? Or "oh my God" when Minna said they had another 45-50 minutes left in the car ride? Or asking if her son threw himself out of a moving town car? 

Not just friends but "best friends". I think we are supposed to have the impression that Minna does not have any friends.

Which is a little hard to believe because a) I think she's delightful b) she seems to be a very competent diplomat (e.g., the Tibet deal last season) or do I have that wrong? c) honestly Selina needs more bluntness in her inner circle, and there are probably a lot of public figures who could say that.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It only just now occurs to me that whoever recommended the concert to Jonah must have thought he was a skinhead. 

Ah! Thanks. That hadn't occurred to me.

It was all so very funny, but aside from Richard, there aren't any likable people here. Yes, I know that's the point. Anyway, Richard being so sincerely pleasant and happy when Jonah was yelling at him was very sweet. I also loved when Richard suggested they do something together. 

Minna is just hilarious. I love this character.

Selina: Just take a deep breath, Minna. You're just in the middle of what we in America call a…
Minna: A difficult situation.
Selina: A fuck fog.
Minna: Yes, and THAT as well. In Finland we call this The Fever of the Sausage.

Mike is the most pathetic of the pathetics. Not getting a reservation. Not having a place to sleep. Eating leftovers from a room service tray on the floor and then spitting it all out. The green thumb! OMGosh. That he AND Gary did the same thing was great. Like others here, I occasionally forgot that they were both trying to hide their thumbs, like when Gary was attempting to open the water bottle. One time I did remember was at the dinner, when everyone applauded Stephen Fry, and Gary and Mike just pounded the table with their left hands.

Dan is so mean. Replaying the dashboard video of Buddy taking out his dick was terrible, plus casually mentioning that he and Amy had dated "when she was younger." -- or was it "much younger."? I love how Amy isn't phased by his antics.

Dan: Who's your favorite character on Downton?
Amy: I dunno. Abbey, I guess.

They know each other so well.

The Georgian leader, Merman, offering Selina a bigger bribe for the library and saying, "Perhaps there could be a fountain or a snake shop," made me laugh. A snake shop?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Amy seems like she's determined to find some campaign she can actually win, so I'll be interested to see where she goes from here. Who else can run for office?

David Mandel referred to Minna as "spectrum-y," so I guess the implication is that Minna doesn't catch the obvious cues that Selina finds her offputting and hates spending time with her.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

b) she seems to be a very competent diplomat (e.g., the Tibet deal last season) or do I have that wrong?

Yeah, I think she is a competent diplomat but I thought it was telling that Murman basically called her an "international busybody". Granted he's awful, but I got the impression that maybe it's not just Selina who finds Minna annoying. Also, I guess Minna finally divorced her groping husband since she's enjoying the pleasures of the poisoned sea cucumber.

I was surprised that Catherine & Marjorie want Dan to be their sperm donor and that he agreed without much prodding. I can't wait for Selina to find out. And Amy.

Selina making Gary taste test the soup in case it was poisoned has got to be one the worst things she's done to him. It's hilarious but, damn, will he ever say no to her?

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

He said it was the doorman at the hotel. So either the doorman is a) a skinhead b) thought Jonah was a skinhead or c) both. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Do people think Kent is unlikable? He likes to correct people a lot, but other than that he's tame compared to the others. 

Personally, I enjoy a good nerd, but it's not for everyone. I can see people finding that trait unlikable, especially grating to longtime associates tired of being corrected over trivia, but he's not aggressively unlikable like Jonah, routinely incompetent like Mike.  

So, the leper with the most fingers, I guess? :)

• Love 4

Do people think Kent is unlikable? He likes to correct people a lot, but other than that he's tame compared to the others. 

Nev-ada.

Yes, it can get annoying having someone correct you all the time.

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think constant "Well, actually" pedantry is nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying, even in the absence of other unpleasant traits. He's not as bad as some of the others, but that's a very low bar to clear.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Maybe he's just cold?

That reminds me, we never see Sue anymore.

I don't even think I'd mind Mike, personally.  I think I always "liked" every character, except for maybe Selina and her daughter and Andrew (I enjoy watching them as characters of course, I just wouldn't find them likeable) -- ugh, and Jonah -- but the humour of the show has been maybe harsh and not as clever as it used to be, and it coincided with the appearance of Richard, who was so novel and sunshiney and wonderful.  So then for the past couple of seasons I definitely have felt those stretches where it feels like I'm only watching for him.

But these past 2 episodes were pretty good, though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe he's just cold?

That reminds me, we never see Sue anymore.

Sufe Bradshaw had to take time off for personal reasons, so I believe she won't appear in Season 6.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I adore Kent. As a west-coaster, I especially loved when he corrected everyone's pronunciation of Nevada. Also, when he corrects the use of the word "literally'. Also also, when Selina said she wanted to "whip it good" and then wondered aloud where that was from and then Kent piped in with "Devo". I just love that! Now, in a tv show I find all of Kent's traits hilarious, if that were someone in real life I'd probably be extremely annoyed. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Actually he said "snack shop." 

Oh? I'll have to listen again. I suppose it was the accent.

5 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

Selina making Gary taste test the soup in case it was poisoned has got to be one the worst things she's done to him. It's hilarious but, damn, will he ever say no to her?

This was such a great scene. Of course anything with Gary is the best. Love when he tastes it then quietly asks Mike if anything is happening to his face.

OMG, loved Minna in this episode. Other appearances were infuriating but this was hilarious with the fever of the sausage. I just realized that the actress (Sally Phillips) was in Bridget Jones as her friend Shazza.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I adore Kent. As a west-coaster, I especially loved when he corrected everyone's pronunciation of Nevada. Also, when he corrects the use of the word "literally'. Also also, when Selina said she wanted to "whip it good" and then wondered aloud where that was from and then Kent piped in with "Devo". I just love that! Now, in a tv show I find all of Kent's traits hilarious, if that were someone in real life I'd probably be extremely annoyed. 

I love Kent. Partially because I also have a (not at all annoying) habit of correcting people, but mostly because I find Gary Cole incredibly foxy.

• Love 4

The first time around I was so focused on Selina threatening Jonah that I completely missed Gary following in her wake like a deranged enforcer. Hee.

6 hours ago, bijoux said:

The first time around I was so focused on Selina threatening Jonah that I completely missed Gary following in her wake like a deranged enforcer. Hee.

Gary was brill in this episode. Apparently, Tony Hale improvised the bit where Gary removed Selina's scarf with his teeth.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Godmother of the Caucasian Spring. Yikes. That probably won't play as well in the US as it might in the country of Georgia. Except perhaps in certain parts of the state of Georgia...

I actually gasped. The visual of that is something you might not want to have stuck in your head.

The Veep writers have definitely hit their Emmy-winning stride again. I think they're going to have some serious competition this year though from the Brockmire writers.

As someone raised in Georgia (US), I find your comment hilarious.  It could have been used on the show.

20 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

And has been for a long time. After he starred for three seasons on the moody Midnight Caller (I wish that series were available to watch now; it was good, as I recall) and then jumped into being the dad in the goofy Brady Bunch movies, I could see that he could handle any mix of drama and/or comedy.

I loved the Brady Bunch movies.  Now they are a time capsule not only of the seventies, but of the grunge era nineties, as well.  I never knew that was him...talk about range. 

Did you guys hear when Minna said her son tried to commit suicide by jumping in an icehole and Selena did a double take and asked her to clarify.  I then realized that with Minna's accent Selena heard "asshole".  I was rolling around laughing and I loved how the show did not explain it, but it was kind of obvious.

I love Minna and Selena together.  I also like how the poisoned guy was used to being a handsome man and his wounds did not lower his confidence, much to Selena' s chagrin.  I also thought Minna liking him, showed she was a less shallow person then Selena, except for the sea cucumber dick enjoyment.

• Love 4

Did you guys hear when Minna said her son tried to commit suicide by jumping in an icehole and Selena did a double take and asked her to clarify.  I then realized that with Minna's accent Selena heard "asshole".  

Yes I caught that but I had to rewind because I was laughing so hard at Minna saying her son tried to commit suicide and Selina asking "did he throw himself out of a moving town car?"

• Love 3
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

I love Minna and Selena together.  I also like how the poisoned guy was used to being a handsome man and his wounds did not lower his confidence, much to Selena' s chagrin.  I also thought Minna liking him, showed she was a less shallow person then Selena, except for the sea cucumber dick enjoyment.

That's such an interesting comment.  There's a LOT I don't pick up on the episodes the first time through.  I didn't understand that the poisoned guy was originally handsome.  That reminds me of jokes that my mother and I make about ourselves, that we sometimes still show the confidence of our younger skinnier selves.... 

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, Enigma X said:

Yes, Gary Cole is my Silverfox. I like Kent too. As I said in the previous thread, Ben Sue, and Kent are my favorite characters.

Oh yes.  I love his character and find him quite handsome.  I think he's improved with age because I certainly did not find him remotely attractive as Lumburgh or Mr. Brady.  Although, the characters he played in those movies could certainly be influencing my opinion.

I died at "fever of the sausage."  I mean, WHERE do the writers come up with this stuff???  Oh to be so funny and talented! I watch with CC b/c otherwise I'd probably miss half the jokes!

• Love 3
On 5/1/2017 at 2:06 PM, peeayebee said:

Dan is so mean. Replaying the dashboard video of Buddy taking out his dick was terrible, plus casually mentioning that he and Amy had dated "when she was younger." -- or was it "much younger."? I love how Amy isn't phased by his antics.

He said, "When she was a much younger woman", which cracked me up - especially because Amy didn't do anything, and Buddy didn't even notice. 

Richard putting on a literal "tourist" hat was so cheesy, yet so perfectly Richard. And on rewatch, I caught Kent's "Hawaii is rightfully a monarchy and will be again" line, which made me howl.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

And on rewatch, I caught Kent's "Hawaii is rightfully a monarchy and will be again" line, which made me howl.

So unexpectedly, yet perfectly, "Kent" as a response to Jonah talking about a trip to Hawaii as "international" travel.

• Love 6

I died at "fever of the sausage."  I mean, WHERE do the writers come up with this stuff??? 

I laughed/barked out loud at Selina calling Stephen Fry's character "Scab Calloway." In fact, I'm still laughing. And I clapped like a small child when Minna appeared (I love that character) and yet again when Fry appeared (I love him and fervently wish Acorn had more than the first seven seasons of QI on offer).

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

He said, "When she was a much younger woman", which cracked me up - especially because Amy didn't do anything, and Buddy didn't even notice. 

Buddy reacted to Dan's saying that he and Amy had dated.

• Love 1