Type keyword(s) to search

Attack On Titan - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So what you're saying is that Eren basically killed his father. Not unlike Goku killing Grandpa Gohan, only with squishing instead of devouring.

I really can't be bothered to figure out the Rules for Titans' Origins. Kenny and his gang were interesting, but he's dead now, so it's back to humans vs. Titans.

• Love 1

I had forgotten that the series really started with the loss of Wall Maria, give or take a few episodes.  It really has been a while.  

The glitch during the end title makes me think the operation doesn’t go quite as planned.  

Just so I’m clear . . . the span between the cadets’ first Titan encounter and the mid season finale was four months? Damn. Thinking about it, the dinner freakout might not have just been about having meat. If that much happened in four months, of course everyone would be cracked. Except for Sasha. When it comes to food, she’s full-on shattered. ?

On 11/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, lathspel said:

The glitch during the end title makes me think the operation doesn’t go quite as planned.  

The point could also had been easily driven had we got to the final scene, and that was followed by a title card proclaiming “The Scouts Fuck Everything Up,” as “Tempation Sendation” blissfully plays. Upside: Mikasa vs. Levi!

Just checking to see if anyone here already knew Toonami is running the first season at the end of their block. I'll stick with Team Four Star's abridgement . . . which did not last long due to obvious legal issues.

I love that we picked up the energy level right where we left off.  Too bad Eren can’t kick his Titan-sized Impostor Syndrome, but I guess that’s what keeps him from just being another Asta.  

Talk about getting right back to the action. Bad guys hiding in little camouflaged holes in the wall = trap.

16 hours ago, Xantar said:

Edit: wait. Have you guys not been watching Season 3a yet? It’s been airing on Hulu this whole time! 

I'm on a dial-up modem. No video downloads for me.

Hange basically invented (re-invented?) the rocket launcher. Gotta love her. Funny that she did that just as we saw My Hero Academia bring back their mad inventor genius girl, Mei Hatsume.

Nice!Setting up Eren as a decoy that can't be ignored even though it is an obvious trick. I seem to recall that there's a military term for that, but can't remember it offhand.

Just after the Beast Titan smacks the ground to signal the small ones to attack, there's a shot that includes one of the big ones with his hands on his hips. I dub him The Fabulous Titan. Unless the fans have already assigned the name to another one.

Watching Titans run is always amusing.

I expect that at some point the Eren Titan is going to grab a handful of thunder spears and pound them into another Titan.

I am glad that this is back on at a slightly more reasonable hour for me (getting older sucks), and I am always looking for the Titan that looks like Hank Hill....that thing gave me nightmares lol

• LOL 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, lathspel said:

I’m going to miss Hange. 

Do we know for sure she's dead? I mean, she does come across as a character who could survive the coming of the Colossal Titan.

Man, Marco went out like a punk. Overheard Reiner and Bertolt at the worst possible time, then Annie relieves him of his ODM gear, he becomes Titan chow, and his corpse is spit out afterward.

What is the endgame for the Shifters? I keep losing track.

Edited by Lantern7

Their goal is still the same, to capture Eren and take him back to wherever they came from.

We've seen the Colossal Titan transform three times before this and I don't remember anything about an explosion that powerful.

The Scouts should have prioritized defeating the shifters above any other goal and come up with a plan for it ahead of time. Regular Titans don't seem to be much of a problem for them anymore.

1 hour ago, PotterOtherP said:

The Scouts should have prioritized defeating the shifters above any other goal and come up with a plan for it ahead of time. Regular Titans don't seem to be much of a problem for them anymore.

I get the impression they also have a lot of raw recruits, who are still at risk from instinctual terror or just inexperience. 

Not liking how the Colossal Titan’s motion is animated.  I know he’s huge but it just seems too smooth.  

That was an amazing speech, somewhat tempered by the knowledge that the Beast is plot relevant, and thus unlikely to die at Levi’s blade.  

I figured the secret plan was going to involve Eren’s Titan control power.  Did we all just kinda forget about that?

(edited)
2 hours ago, lathspel said:

I figured the secret plan was going to involve Eren’s Titan control power.  Did we all just kinda forget about that?

I certainly forgot about it. I don't think the characters have, because otherwise there'd be no great need for the Titans to capture Eren.

And speaking of things I forgot about until now; I wonder if Levi still has the hypo full of Titan juice that Kenny gave him.

Edited by Sandman87
(edited)

Beast Titan mentioned "warmup pitch" and "perfect game." I can't see how baseball would be a thing in that universe. Not enough room to play.

Shit, that was a depressing episode. Scouts are not winning any battles, AND Armored Titan isn't incapacitated after all. Basically, "Rush towards our painful deaths while Levi maybe have a sliver of a chance of even challenging the Beast Titan" is the best plan. The kids from The Promised Neverland have better odds of escaping their predicament. Also: did nobody think to ask the horses if they wanted to be mounted for an obvious suicide mission? Selfish humans.

Edited by Lantern7

I like that at the end Eren has a limbless Berthold, like they had a limbless Eren last season.  

Props to Armin for subverting the trope of “you and I have plans, so I have to survive”.

• Love 1
On 6/20/2019 at 8:15 PM, Lantern7 said:

Beast Titan mentioned "warmup pitch" and "perfect game." I can't see how baseball would be a thing in that universe. Not enough room to play.

Not that they would be playing a lot of baseball, but Wall Maria is approximately the size of Texas and Wall Rose is the approximately the size of California. 

Spoiler

It will make sense very soon.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:13 PM, lathspel said:

Those horses were dead either way.  It’s impressive they can get them to go towards the Titans at all, really.  

I don't remember if this made into the show, but in the manga they say training Survey Corps horses costs more than most people make in their lives.

Finally caught up with this season. Surprisingly, I actually kind of like the intro music. I've really enjoyed this arc. That scene last week showing poor Marco's death was pretty brutal. Gee Marlo, I really wonder why your final thoughts are of a girl. It's quite the mystery. Really loved seeing Levi completely wreck the Beast Titan.

Also, I just noticed that, for some reason, I'm credited as creating this thread. I guess that happened during the forum consolidation.

1 minute ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Not that they would be playing a lot of baseball, but Wall Maria is approximately the size of Texas and Wall Rose is the approximately the size of California.

Reveal spoiler

Really? The way the anime is framed and the subsequent food shortages after every wall penetration, I thought the area was much smaller. I still can't imagine baseball being a thing in that world. Or any sport we'd recognized. Maybe the most popular game would be called "Beat the Orphan" or something.

3 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:
  Reveal spoiler

Surprisingly, I actually kind of like the intro music.

It's like a mashup of the more exciting themes, with no trace of "Red Swan."

I have no clue how to delete the spoiler bars,and I have to go to bed now.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Really? The way the anime is framed and the subsequent food shortages after every wall penetration, I thought the area was much smaller. I still can't imagine baseball being a thing in that world. Or any sport we'd recognized. Maybe the most popular game would be called "Beat the Orphan" or something.

Yeah, the walls are massive. I figured it out once: Wall Maria is Texas, The area between Maria and Rose is Colorado, Wall Rose is California, Between Rose and Sina is Oregon, and Sina is South Dakota.

Regarding the food shortages, while there is seemingly more than enough land, given their technological level they may simply lack the means to grow and harvest enough food for everyone. Also, the inner walls are where all the wealthiest live so it was probably more to do with them losing their status and luxury than the lack of the ability to support more people. That being said, losing Wall Maria represented about a 37% loss of land and losing Wall Rose would have been a 56% loss. That would have been huge resource hits for any country to absorb.

Damn, Armin. Just...damn.

Mikasa takes out the Armored Titan from the inside. Eren Takes out the Colostomy Colossal titan after Armin...just...damn. Levi almost takes out the Beast Titan by making like a human Cuisinart. There ain't a lot of survivors from the battle, but every single one of them is a certified (and certifiable) badass.

22 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Wall Rose is California

So then the central cesspool for Wall Rose would be Alviso.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, Sandman87 said:

Damn, Armin. Just...damn.

"It's so haaaaaard . .. to say goodbye . . . to yessssterdaaaaaaaayyy . . . "

There are not enough 40 oz. bottles to pour out in Armin's honor. He was the equivalent of Morty Smith in terms of neuroses, but he was the sharpest tool in the Scout shed, and he went out like a man.

And Hange lives! Man, she is gonna have so much fun poking Reiner and Bertolt's bodies. A food funnel lodged in a rectum will seem like paradise for those two.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the US airing is behind again? So spoilers up to and including s3e21 "The Attack Titan". If you are past this episode, please read, I have a few questions that you can maybe answer:

Spoiler

So up until this episode I thought it was bullcrap that all the war stuff only happened a hundret or so years ago, yet nobody inside the walls would remember the outside world. But I guess this episode revealed that there is a supernatural component to it and the king had some mind wiping powers. Fair enough, I guess.

I still don't quite understand what's going on with the king controlling the founding titan. Does he do that from beyond the grave? He should be dead by now, shouldn't he?

Why is Historia the queen now? Didn't the church hunt her to prevent this from happening? I might have forgotten something here...

So some normal person is the founding Titan right now, yes?

What does the first wife of Eren's father being a royal titan have to do with him being able to control titans? I didn't get that at all. Also can't all the thinking titans do that? Seems like the enemy titans could. The beast titan at least. Why is there an additional layer now?

Edited by Miles

Berthold cooked Armin like a lobster, but it was Armin who ended up having dinner. So now the good guys will have a Colossal Brainiac Titan on their side. Everyone else spends the entire episode playing "Who Will We Save?", until the commander declines to be saved.

5 hours ago, Miles said:

I think the US airing is behind again? So spoilers up to and including s3e21 "The Attack Titan". If you are past this episode, please read, I have a few questions that you can maybe answer:

Spoiler

I'm following on Toonami so I'm a little behind on the show, but am current on the manga. I'll try and answer some of your questions

6 hours ago, Miles said:

I still don't quite understand what's going on with the king controlling the founding titan. Does he do that from beyond the grave? He should be dead by now, shouldn't he?

The King is dead. Remember the guy who became that giant titan last season but had his face worn away because he couldn't stand up straight? That was him. The Founding Titan was always part of the Riess bloodline. However after the fall of Wall Maria Grisha Yeager killed the Reiss family, save Rod, and took the Founding Titan by eating the current holder. He then passed it to Eren when he let Eren eat him after injecting him with the Titan serum. Eren can't fully use the control powers because he is not of royal blood. 

6 hours ago, Miles said:

Why is Historia the queen now? Didn't the church hunt her to prevent this from happening? I might have forgotten something here...

Historia is Queen because the rest of the Royal family is dead. 

6 hours ago, Miles said:

So some normal person is the founding Titan right now, yes?

Yes. Eren Yeager.

6 hours ago, Miles said:

What does the first wife of Eren's father being a royal titan have to do with him being able to control titans? I didn't get that at all. Also can't all the thinking titans do that? Seems like the enemy titans could. The beast titan at least. Why is there an additional layer now?

After the Marleyians overthrew the Eldian Empire, most of the surviving Eldians retreated to Paradis Island. Those that didn't became second class citizens under Marleyian rule. Grisha belonged to a group of these Eldians who wanted to restore the Eldian Empire. His first wife was a descendant of Eldian Royal Family. As such, she could fully use the Founding Titan powers. Their plan was to send Zeke in as part of the Warrior Unit, capture the Founding Titan, bring it back to Grisha's wife so she could gain the Founding Titan Powers and then restore the Eldian Empire. The Beast Titan can only control titans created using serum based on his spinal fluid. This is due to Zeke Yeager having royal blood through his mother. The Founding Titan doesn't need serum.

(edited)

While watching the episode, I was sure that Mikasa was going to commit mutiny after deciding that Levi and Hange had failed to kill their respective Titans and had therefore forfeited their leadership authority. It happened much more peacefully than I was expecting.

Some comments to the above questions:

Spoiler

The king who raised the walls 100 years ago is still somehow able to influence his descendants who have the Founding Titan. In addition to titan powers, thoughts and memories can be transmitted through the "paths" that connect the Eldians. The king's will to avoid war was so strong that any royal who inherits the founding titan will also inherit his refusal to use the powers to fight.

Historia's claim to the throne is her bloodline, but the reason she became queen is that the military overthrew the existing government with the "false" king and installed her. this was done after the government tried to sacrifice more of the population after hearing a fake report of Titans invading Wall Sina.

Eren was able to use the Founding Titan's control powers when he came into physical contact with Dina as a Titan. My question is whether being in contact with a normal human with royal blood would also be sufficient to activate the power, or if it has to be a Titan with royal blood. Eren believes it has to be a Titan, which is why he doesn't say anything out of fear that Historia will be seized by the military and turned into a Titan.

There are lots of other questions that we won't learn the answers to for a while, but here's an obvious one: How's Annie?

Edited by PotterOtherP
(edited)

"Bertholdt? Berhooooldt. . ."

"Uh. Whuzz wuz . . .what?"

"Open your eyes. You're gonna want to see this. The bad news is that you're gonna die. The good news is that you're going to be replaced in the food chain."

"I . . . I don' unders- . . . FUCK!!!! ARMIN!!!!!"

"Chow down, big guy!! Growing Titans need their strength!!!"

"FUCCCCCCKKK!!! WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!?!??!? I mean, besides set humanity back to darker ages while keeping a watchful eye on them to make sure they would never overcome the Tit- . . . NOT THE LEGS, ARMIN!!! GO FOR MY HEA-!!!!"

Damn, that was a ludicrously tense episode. Nice that our neurotic brainiac got to live, but they lost Erwin, whom Levi wanted to bring back. And you just know Armin and Mikasa will probably hold a grudge.

I checked Wikipedia . . . four more episodes to go. Then the final season airs in Japan in Fall 2020. For those keeping track: how many of the plots are currently in the air?

ETA: The clip in the link is short (15 seconds), but there might be a spoiler image. Proceed carefully.

Edited by Lantern7

I thought it's been obvious from the first season there had to be at least one settlement outside the walls, because Bertholdt, Reiner and Annie had  to come from somewhere. I wonder if Ymir spending 60 years in Titan form will come into play at some point. There could be a Titan or Titans that date from the founding of the Walls still around.

It's been so long I forgot Erin's father was discovered wandering around with amnesia. Or...was he lying?

On 7/8/2019 at 9:43 PM, lathspel said:

They almost got me with the “it’s the wrong key” thing.

There always had to be more too it. If it was just to open the door, why even bother with a key when they could do exactly what Levi did?

5 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

I just hope that the books they found aren't just the first in a series of puzzles to solve, like The Da Vinci Code.

I'll answer that with a yes or no. Read if you wish:

Spoiler

No. That is not the case.

(edited)

Armin takes eating Bertholdt about as well as you would expect. Also: photography is explained in a way where one feels stupid for not knowing the very basics, because one takes it for granted. "There's a note on the back. 'This is not from an artist'." "No, it's from a witch. Let's burn this affront to God's plan!!!"

ETA: Just remembered to watch the extra stuff. Airships: A Prime Indicator That You're Looking At An Alternate Reality.

While I'm thinking it . . . has the manga ever explained why air travel is a no-go? I would not have thought of it, but then I read a story in the American-made Attack on Titan Anthology which centers on that. I'm just curious if the original material dealt with that.

Edited by Lantern7

That's a good point, they have the ability to make hot-air balloons but haven't thought of it yet. Maybe you could explain it by saying the previous government and church were suppressing the development of any technology which would actually result in defeating the Titans or learning the truth about them. The Titan guillotine being a good example.

So, I wasn't misrembering the episode in which that all-important scene aired. That's pretty inexcusable on Toonami's part, especially if they never air it at all. I shouldn't be surprised, though, since they've never aired Levi's gaiden, which is fundamental to understanding the Erwin/Levi relationship.

I understand they cut content for more advertising space, but sheesh.

3 hours ago, the fresh maker said:

So, I wasn't misrembering the episode in which that all-important scene aired. That's pretty inexcusable on Toonami's part, especially if they never air it at all. I shouldn't be surprised, though, since they've never aired Levi's gaiden, which is fundamental to understanding the Erwin/Levi relationship.

I understand they cut content for more advertising space, but sheesh.

Toonami mentioned it didn't air and re aired it at the beginning of tonight's episode. 

I must except that I'm old and senile because I get so confused everytime back story is introduced. I'm not even sure who the bad guys are. Anyway are Erin and Beast Titan brothers from another mother? Is that why he said he'd come back and rescue Erin in a previous episode?

Is there anywhere I can view Levi's gaiden without seeing any spoilers?

Exposition overload!

17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I hope you all realize the significance of 'internment zones' and having to wear a symbol that marks them as different.

Not to mention the (literal?) demonization of the Eldians.  Although it’s still not clear whose history is true - maybe that’s the point? 

I was spoilered on this back story, so I’m glad we got it over with in one ep.  Still neat to see.

I figured the interrogator with the round glasses was the Owl, at least until the other guard stayed up on the wall too long.