Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Skinny

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, AmyB said:

wow!!! when was the right picture? Season 2 or 3 skinny?

You could serve a meal on that butt wing.

LOL my husband just said she looks like a bean bag chair lol

Actually butt wing didn't register in my brain until your said it.

That was from 'season 3' so SIX MONTHS AGO or whenever that was aired.

You're right, there was no butt wing before.  There definitley is one now.

I've been watching m600lbf shows, this most recent screenshot?  I'm having a hard time differentiating her and those patients.

That Fitness marshall vid was the only thing that I've ever seen of her moving for more than a continuous 15 second cut.  Soooo telling.

I'm dying to watch this finale.  I"m betting that she's sitting the whole time.  I'm going to have to wait a week.  I'm hoping Jiya "Kerryn Feehan's" Twit and Twit gets up and storms off.  I want to see the mobility issues.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, AmyB said:

The MRL show mentioned in on the radio last week, when they were talking about the show and that they hadn;'t heard from twit re Victoria's job, but Maney said that TLC had reached out to them about next season which is filming next month.

I heard that too, but I thought Maney said someone from TLC had reached out to ask if they would be interested in doing another season, not that a new season had been definitely decided on. As of early April, the websites that track television renewals list MBFFL as "not yet renewed." I thought when I heard that, that some producer was calling around trying to put together a few storylines for a new season, but that doesn't mean TLC has agreed to buy one.

As for the "cliffhanger" wouldn't we know if Whitney was back up bootying for the Fitness Marshall? Surely one of his or her fans would have a video from one of their joint appearances up by now!  (And let's be real; Whitney is not physically capable of keeping up with the demands of a year-long tour with two well-conditioned exercise maniacs who are a decade younger than she is, and a ridiculous number of pounds lighter.)

One thing I came away from this thinking was that Whitney may profess her deep, abiding (co-dependent?) love for her aging parents, but boy, she is also very very angry at them.  And they may love her, but they clearly hate the way she is living, and the way she is abusing her body.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tdanaher said:

I'm just going to leave this here...

IMG_0103.PNG

Not aired here yet (west coast) butt... (see what I did there?) I have a job that gets some media exposure and I always avoid being on the sides of photos because of potential lens distortion. I do see the tell-tell signs of that here. 

• Love 1

Well my friends, this is it! The last chance for who know hows long--maybe EVER!--to glean the seeds of fabulosity planted for our edification by our big fat fabulous mentor, Ms. Whitney Way Thore! I bought wine with a cork for the occasion. Onto to the list! 

Huh. 

Our prime time episode here on the best coast appears to have been preempted by an episode of Long Lost Family. That's...amazing. Whitney's big finale, and it's not even showing for the entire west coast. There is a rewatch at 10, but my own boring life includes a toddler and a volunteer shift at the women's shelter tomorrow, and thus does not include a fabulous night of staying up until 11. 

In a way, Whit, it's an appropriate end to this experiment. I feel battered by the fabulousness (Defined: 'extraordinary, especially extraordinarily large') of your life as I've attempted to catalog its facets over the past few weeks, so it feels sort of poetic that it ends with a whimper. I'll trust my big fat fabulous friends here to give me the highlights, and wish you godspeed. 

Whoo this cork wine is strong! 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DanaMB said:

OMG, what adult says "jelly?"

On another note, Buddy has issues and I don't think he's dating that girl any more. I'd think if he were, she would have gone out after him.

I think Heather is just pretending to be Buddy's GF so she can stay a part of the "cast."

I didn't think Buddy's finances were anybody's business.  It's not his show, he just has a bit part and has to be interrogated about paying his rent? Stomping off was silly, but IMO he was right to protest that line of questioning.

I thought Whitney's hair looked suspiciously thick tonight.  I don't know anything about that taping thing she does, but it looked like she could have been wearing a wig.  If not, there must be a lot of extra hair taped in there!

• Love 6

I like Jiya's attitude and I like the fact that she appears to be driven to accomplish things.  No  playing the victim, that one.

Why do they sit Whitney off by herself.  It just highlights the fact that she fills half of a loveseat.

I felt sorry for Roy.   I hope he got paid well.

• Love 6

This wasn't so much a reunion as it was a "Whitney throws everyone under the collective bus hour" I just noticed that for the most part the storylines revolve around a disagreement with someone, Jiya even mentioned Whitney was always the victim. 

Its probably not fair, because I admit in my book I pretty much don't like Whitney anymore regardless of what she does... but even the way Whitney cut off Jiya's apology bothered me. I know if she had accepted it I would have been annoyed with that because we all know Whitney's shit doesn't stink, but the martyr act bothered me too... poor Whitney is so hard on herself, whatever.

I honestly don't think the rent issues with Buddy should be televised, that's gotta be extremely embarrassing. Buddy isn't innocent, he signed up for this show, and really should be responsible for his part of the rent, but I believe him when he said that Whitney kept letting him put it off and then brings it up on camera. Even if this is a fabricated storyline, I can understand Buddy's frustration with being casted as a loser... but again, there is a really easy solution... don't film. But that face Whit made was a total bitch move.

I do feel bad for Roy, he looked so uncomfortable, and I don't think he could act that well if he tried. I agree with the person above who mentioned it seems like we are missing a chunk of the story, Whitney's reaction doesn't seem proportional to the situation. Even Roy's reaction was weird because he said he saw her as an intern and that was all, but while I don't think the texts were an indication of marriage plans like Whit implied, they were more than I would think for someone you just work with. Maybe that was just a weird timeline jump though, he did make sure to say she was just an intern in the beginning. Also, that whole kiss thing was so uncomfortable, I felt like I was at a middle school party where they play spin the bottle and two people awkwardly kiss and one runs away. I lol'd when Whitney was saying she was hoping to hang out a couple times and then maybe share a kiss by the 3rd time, maybe I'm old fashioned, but what ever happened to letting things happen when they happen, is it normal to plan things out like that? I have my general boundaries when it comes to dating, but nothing is a hard and fast rule where I expect to hold hands by the second hangout/date, or kiss by the third, but maybe I'm weird.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, riverblue22 said:

Roy would like to be far, far away from Whitney, and it's not all her weight.  I think he is appalled by her outrageous, exhibitionist personality. Hope he gets a new girlfriend soon.

But what will he have to show Whitney to prove the girlfriend is real? How desperate did she look accusing the man of lying? Did she think it would look better for her if he said "yes I made it up to make you stop humping my leg"?

• Love 15

When the interviewer asked Buddy vaguely about some changes in his relationship with someone, he acted confused as to who she was referring to, which made me wonder if his relationship with his girlfriend is no longer as a girlfriend (or never was and she was just acting a part), which is what I have been suspecting all season.  His defensiveness at being asked about whether he was late on the rent got me to wondering if there isn't more going on with him than just eating too much.  Could he have a substance abuse problem?  I theorized in earlier episodes that he could be drinking because he's a bartender and around booze a lot, but could it even be more than that and that's why he's stretched for cash?

Buddy is upset that the show is "always making him look like a loser" - Well, if he didn't try so hard to act like one maybe it would be easier for people to believe he really has a girlfriend and isn't eating or drinking himself to death.

So Todd was captured on camera making out with Buddy's girlfriend years ago?  Was he acting a part?  Just how enmeshed and "incestual" is this group going way back?  My mind boggles at all the permutations and combinations.  Talk about "keeping it in the family"!  Todd is such a "Gomer Pyle".  He really acts like a big doofus.  Sorry, I hate to say that but I can't get over it.

ITA that Whitney is not really even a little gay, she is just so desperate for any kind of attention that she will take it wherever she can get it. 

I felt that they glossed over Babs' condition.  I hope she's OK.  Saying she feels only 65% normal doesn't sound too good.

I can't side with Jiya just because she calls Whitney on her shit.  I see her as yet another TLC fame whore, only one that is not too nice.  She's going for a PhD?  In what?  Twerk Management?  She needs to get over herself.  I'd like to know what PhD program would have her and for what.  I'm sorry but she doesn't impress me as true PhD material (and I say that from some experience).  I liked it when Maney called her on being hard on the Twit.  I usually don't have sympathy for her, but having a toe problem at almost 400 lbs. is IMO beyond just wrapping it up and continuing on.  She could seriously mess up more than just her toe if she used it too much.

I also noticed the Twit admitting that she "couldn't do the moves" at Jiya's dance class and not accepting Jiya's apology as if to take responsibility for it.  Suddenly now she's here and there admitting (without actually saying it) that she is unable to be as "fit" as she wants to be and fat at the same time.  But she never really comes out and admits that this is a big issue for her that she needs to address.  Now she is just using her handicaps as an excuse and continues to not lose weight, and shoves the whole thing under the table so as not to have to really admit or address it.

I couldn't get over Roy saying he was on a diet - Poor guy looks fatter than ever.  I agree with those that said his stress level from being a focus of negative comments online due to this show could be a cause.  I don't 100% believe that he ever really had a girlfriend but he dug himself in so deep on that one that he had to keep up the lie.  Perhaps he was chatting someone up online at the time that never went anywhere and just used that as his excuse.  He is young and not really that mature, IMO, but I don't blame him for making up excuses to keep Whitney away.  I'd do the same thing!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

Buddy's speech seemed slurred and he's definitely looking unhealthy, as many have already noted. He's kind of a butt sometimes but I think he's basically a decent person and I hope he gets it together soon. There is definitely awkwardness between him and Heather. If they're together for real, it must be pretty tense. 

I also would love to know more about Jiya's academic career. She seems fairly bright, but as another person who knows that world firsthand, I'm pegging her as the PhD in Sociology from Argosy University type. 

• Love 3

Since this episode was billed as a recap of "the most outrageous moments," I thought it would be interesting to record how much time was spent discussing each moment. Does this reveal anything about Whit's priorities? Or TLC's? Dunno, but I found it kinda interesting.

In order of most time spent:

False pregnancy = 10 min.

Dance battle & Jiya = 9 min.

Beating up on Roy = 7 min.

Babs' health = 3 min.

Beating up on Buddy = 3 min.

Beating up on Todd = 3 min.

Amanda = 2 min.

Nathan = 2 min.

About a minute at the end was spent dangling the fitness tour story arc, with no real indication I could see of a hint of another season for MBFFL.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, AmyB said:

I love Maney! He's line got in! yay! Yeah Twit is a slut.  She is sooo starved for attention that she will go after whatever gives her the slightest bit of attention.

And now onto Jiya. Oh the dance battle that won't die.  I am over it basically.  Omg Jiya runs two business and is going for her PhD. wow I love her!

I thought the part with Jiya was a lot friendlier, for the most part, that last season's with Kerryn.
They didn't quiz Buddy on the rent like that, it's none of their business.  And Whit did throw him under the bus.
He looks so unwell, so leave the poor guy alone.
Glenn looked pained for a lot the discussions.  Culture shock for him.

16 hours ago, AmyB said:

wow!!! when was the right picture? Season 2 or 3 skinny?

That was last season's show, the one without shoes.  She looks pretty much the same size, to me.
And I see at least the beginning of a butt wing in last year's photo. 

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I also would love to know more about Jiya's academic career. She seems fairly bright, but as another person who knows that world firsthand, I'm pegging her as the PhD in Sociology from Argosy University type. 

If you check out her LinkedIn profile, it shows that she has a B.S. in Marketing from Virginia State University and an MBA from Strayer University. She doesn't have any PhD listed, but it's likely it's in something business related. I looked up Strayer University, and it does seem to be on par with the Argosy type. To me, she doesn't come off as very intelligent, but neither does anybody else on this show. At least she has ambition, and that will take her further than a lot of people smarter than her.

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, leighroda said:

but while I don't think the texts were an indication of marriage plans like Whit implied, they were more than I would think for someone you just work with.

They could have been texts about an assignment, or scheduling at the station.

53 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

can't side with Jiya just because she calls Whitney on her shit.  I see her as yet another TLC fame whore, only one that is not too nice.  She's going for a PhD?  In what? 

I liked Jiya, and why shouldn't she be going for a PhD? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, M.F. Luder said:

If you check out her LinkedIn profile, it shows that she has a B.S. in Marketing from Virginia State University and an MBA from Strayer University. She doesn't have any PhD listed, but it's likely it's probably something business related. I looked up Strayer University, and it does seem to be on par with the Argosy type. To me, she doesn't come off as very intelligent, but neither does anybody else on this show. At least she has ambition, and that will take her farther than a lot of people smarter than her.

I don't know her last name so I didn't think to look her up, but yeah, Strayer and Argosy are of the same general caliber. I was just guessing. She might advance in a professional career with those types of degrees, but she'd never be hired to teach at a regionally accredited university with an online, for-profit MBA or PhD. (To be fair she's never said that was her goal, either.)

I agree that Jiya seems more motivated than the rest of these lumps put together. Todd and Towel both strike me as intelligent, but not especially driven. 

• Love 4

If this show comes back I am not expecting to see Buddy.  He'll probably move out before he'd put up with this nonsense for another season.  I'm thinking he is not a fan of the cameras and putting his life out there for everyone to see.

• Love 6

I don't blame Buddy for his reaction.  Twit is just there to be the queen of all fabulousness, and she doesn't care if she humiliates her friend/roommate/former whatever.  In his defense of himself he said, "You were the one always saying, 'Give it to me later'" and then said he wrote out a check right then and there, but that never made it on camera.  I had the feeling that her whole "I'm going to draw up a lease and you have to sign it" was 100% production driven.  And her behavior towards Todd was no better.  I was floored when everyone said they thought Todd was just jealous.  No.  He was pissed because - as usual - Twit took an event (their trip to New York) and flipped on their plans as soon as something that she thought was more Twit-centric became available.

I think Glenn was 100% uncomfortable, and I don't blame him.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I liked Jiya, and why shouldn't she be going for a PhD? 

I am sorry, I am an old time "academic" and if that makes me an "education snob" then so be it.  It just irks me to see people that IMO don't have the smarts it should take to get a graduate degree flaunting it on national TV.  I am just so over the idea that everyone is graduate school material, and the second and third rate institutions that offer substandard educations to substandard students.  Everyone is not that capable or smart and it devalues a REAL education to give them so-called graduate degrees.  I have worked with many MBAs and others that have substandard intelligence, low vocabulary and poor grammar, not to mention lack of knowledge of basic things like English, history, geography, math and science.  I busted my ASS at a REAL university over 30 years ago to achieve what is light years over what passes now for an education, plus I worked at the university itself to pay for my education.  So excuse me if I don't exactly think Jiya is PhD material.  If she were, she'd have more important things on her mind than acting like a ratchet bitch on this stupid show.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 23
52 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

If you check out her LinkedIn profile, it shows that she has a B.S. in Marketing from Virginia State University and an MBA from Strayer University. She doesn't have any PhD listed, but it's likely it's in something business related. I looked up Strayer University, and it does seem to be on par with the Argosy type. To me, she doesn't come off as very intelligent, but neither does anybody else on this show. At least she has ambition, and that will take her further than a lot of people smarter than her.

That doesn't surprise me regarding the type of school she has attended.  Usually people that get an MBA don't go on for a PhD in Business unless they intend to teach the subject or pursue academic research, as the degree programs are mostly structured for that purpose.  So I wonder what she could possibly be getting the PhD in as I can't imagine she'd want to go in that direction.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I am sorry, I am an old time "academic" and if that makes me an "education snob" then so be it.  It just irks me to see people that IMO don't have the smarts it should take to get a graduate degree flaunting it on national TV.  I am just so over the idea that everyone is graduate school material, and the second and third rate institutions that offer substandard educations to substandard students.  Everyone is not that capable or smart and it devalues a REAL education to give them so-called graduate degrees.  I have worked with many MBAs and others that have substandard intelligence, low vocabulary and poor grammar, not to mention lack of knowledge of basic things like English, history, geography, math and science.  I busted my ASS at a REAL university over 30 years ago to achieve what is light years over what passes now for an education, plus I worked at the university itself to pay for my education.  So excuse me if I don't exactly think Jiya is PhD material.  If she were, she'd have more important things on her mind than acting like a ratchet bitch on this stupid show.

I have to admit I'm a bit of an academic elitist and it kinda pisses me off when people proclaim to have PhDs from places like University of Phoenix or Strayer. I'm sure they worked for their degree but...it almost diminishes my degree that I busted my ass working on campus 11-14 hours a day 5-7 days a week for 6 years to get. And that's not counting the hours I spent teaching to make barely enough money to scrape by. So. I'm with you. But she's doing more than Whit so you gotta give her that. 

It's pretty clear Maney is just so over her bullshit! And that Roy nonsense...let it go already! Good lord! Could she look any more creepy and desperate? Who just accuses someone of making up a girlfriend just to keep from dating them? Hey Twit, Copernicus called. The earth does, in fact, revolve around the sun and not you. Jesus h tap dancing christ on a cracker.

• Love 15
56 minutes ago, scoopski potata said:

Who just accuses someone of making up a girlfriend just to keep from dating them?

Well, as I guy, I'm assuming that most women do as a nice way to say 'not interested'.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, scoopski potata said:

I have to admit I'm a bit of an academic elitist and it kinda pisses me off when people proclaim to have PhDs from places like University of Phoenix or Strayer. I'm sure they worked for their degree but...it almost diminishes my degree that I busted my ass working on campus 11-14 hours a day 5-7 days a week for 6 years to get. And that's not counting the hours I spent teaching to make barely enough money to scrape by. So. I'm with you. But she's doing more than Whit so you gotta give her that. 

It's pretty clear Maney is just so over her bullshit! And that Roy nonsense...let it go already! Good lord! Could she look any more creepy and desperate? Who just accuses someone of making up a girlfriend just to keep from dating them? Hey Twit, Copernicus called. The earth does, in fact, revolve around the sun and not you. Jesus h tap dancing christ on a cracker.

I get you all on this. I have 3 degrees-2 undergraduates from one of the top schools in the south and a MA from one of the oldest, and most prestigious, school in the world. It took me many years to get through school-years of sleepless nights, going to classes for 6-10 hours a day sometimes, working three jobs to pay my way through whatever my scholarships didn't cover, etc. I have a friend that got her "MA" through an online institution. It took her six months. I actually feel bad for a lot of people that do this. They seem to think the degrees are comparable; they are not. There is more to getting a degree than reading material and regurgitating it during tests. Networking with others in my program, having lively discussions and debates with professors, field classes and labs and research assignments that were presented before my fellow students...College should encompass much more than a simple grade and stamp on a piece of paper. If that's all a degree is worth, then we all might as well just go to our local libraries and save our money. 

I was feeling totally bad for Roy during the reunion. To me, it was obvious that he had no interest in being there and could barely humor Whitney and company. Maney seemed to be enjoying himself-enjoying throwing shade, that is. Good for him. Whitney looked bigger than she's ever looked but poor Buddy looks like he's on death's door. 

Whitney just isn't going to let Roy and the girlfriend issue go. Girlfriend, accusing him of lying is just digging yourself a bigger hole. If a man has to lie to you about who he's dating to get you off his case, it says more about you than it does about him. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Whit's comment to Jiya: "I came in here and did not perform well." Seems to be a pattern. 

I've broken many toes. Always able to function and even run through it; just another Whit excuse to avoid "not performing well".

I hate defending her, sorry, but I've broken a toe, and you do not "run" on that shit.  Hell, I could barely even walk on my heel for a month.  It's some painful crap.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Honey said:

I hate defending her, sorry, but I've broken a toe, and you do not "run" on that shit.  Hell, I could barely even walk on my heel for a month.  It's some painful crap.

I think it depends on which toe it is, too. I have a medical condition that causes regular breaks and dislocations (it's a sister to brittle bone disease). I break my little toe several times a year and I rarely even feel it. The break does nothing to slow me down. When I break my second toe, however, it's a little more painful. Regardless, I've never had to wear a boot with any of them. I am sure that Whitney's break (or was it a sprain? she seems to change her story) was painful but she'll also use anything for an excuse. 

• Love 1

While we are on the subject of higher education. What bugs me is the celebrities who are given an honorary doctorate and use the title as if they had a legitimate degree. In a similar vein, I seem to recall that Bill Cosby did minimal classwork to "earn" his Ed.D. I think he was able to use a lot of life experience in lieu of formal coursework. For years he presented himself as an expert.

• Love 8

Agree about advanced degrees. I had to write a thesis,  take oral and comprehensive exams and defend my thesis. Now you present an online paper. On topic, no way in hell Twit is going with the Fitness Marshall. Crappy cliffhanger TLC. Who cares about that? Gravy Train should be just about pulling out of the station. The only true moment I saw was Twit talking about the possibility of never having a child. Oh, why does Babs smile like the Chesire Cat?

• Love 5

I don't understand her parents at all.  Do they really need the money that much?

I think her parents do what they can to try to keep her happy. We've seen how she is with her friends when they don't bend to her will. Her parent's know that they will be wheedled, harangued, and guilted if they had the audacity to step away from this circus.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, aliya said:

I admit to occupying what few brain cells I have left on other stuff during the show. I missed the jelly reference. Surely it's OK to call strawberry jelly, jelly (tho strawberry preserves are better)? Was someone talking about something besides the sweet, wiggly, jewel-like food we all know and love?

"Jelly" as in, "Todd was "jelly" -- jealous, about her getting a part in the fitness guy's exercise video, and he didn't.

Edited by LocalGovt
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Save me a seat on the academic snob bus. I busted my butt getting a bachelor's degree (back when going to college required work).  A few years ago, my niece got her MBA from a McCollege -- I'm pretty sure she bought most of her test answers, and probably her thesis, online.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, leighroda said:

This reunion is a train wreck. Starting with the "pregnancy" she STILL refers to having been pregnant, and that drives me crazy. I understand that she maybe did think she was at some point, BUT she has long known that wasn't the case. Also when they brought up that on social media she got a lot of backlash, and Whitney made the comment about "if you were upset that I wasn't pregnant how do you think I felt" no whitney, people weren't upset that you didn't wind up being pregnant, we were mad (or at least for the most part I think most people) that you were touting that you may or may not be pregnant in social media when you damn well knew you weren't and never were and were parading this around for ratings.

This so called reunion is like Sister Wives, they don't ask any tough questions.

If her body produces the hormone that gives a positive pregnancy test (I forget what that hormone is called) and she's 32 years old, and she has studied her condition, chances are she KNOWS that her urine has that hormone. I guarantee you she pitched this as a storyline because she knew the test would be positive. Just like the Kardashians old made up stories, the Jenner girls "catching" their mom smoking and Dumping water on her, Rob and his herbal viagra that was meant for Bruce, Kris accidently seeing Scott's penis. Remember those days when they were really having to reach for the stories? Rob was 22 years old with that fake boner story and should have known better and now he resents being on the show? Anyway, Whitney is just doing what they used to do, pitch stories. 

No one jump on me but is Mattie a transgender? Not sure how to even ask anymore. It doesn't matter but with her being a supporting role on a two year reality show, I wish she would get her tooth fixed. I'm not being mean AT all. I just don't like that she is missing a tooth. If she is transgender she doesn't have the top hair make up doctors that Bruce Jenner has because she's a regular person. The kind of person that Bruce Jenner has no idea about. But maybe she's just kinda a masculine woman. I really don't know.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Honey said:

I'm talking just toes, no other bones involved--my fractures involved the first joint of the toes. My coach would tell the trainer to buddy tape it and get me back out on the track--it hurt a little and was really bruised, but was otherwise fine. Stress fractures in the feet, however, yeah. Not walking let alone running. 

My point was also based on the fact that Whit seemed to be walking around fine until the excuse suited her and then the boot shows up. So I don't think her toe was THAT bad, she just didn't want to fail again against Jiya. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Impressed by Jiya and that she is working on her Ph.D. The comment about Whitney wasting her time seems even more justified now.

Jiya grates on me so much, I turned the sound down when she was on. What is she getting her PhD in and did she mention where? I'm a PhD and have been on a number of admissions committees where I interviewed candidates. The PhD process is long and intense. You develop a relationship with your advisor (for good or ill). Faculty have to have the sense that you are a person they can work with without a lot of angina. Jiya doesn't do that for me. I don't get any sense of the scholar about her.

eta: I admit to not reading all the previous posts. I guess we can all be academic snobs together. She wouldn't be one of my students.  Did she say she was going to one of those for-profit schools? 

Edited by aliya
  • Love 4

Fyi Jiya is going for a PhD in psychology with a focus in early childhood and adolescent development (which is what my sister getting her masters in). 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, scoopski potata said:
3 minutes ago, AmyB said:

Fyi Jiya is going for a PhD in psychology with a focus in early childhood and adolescent development (which is what my sister getting her masters in). 

I wonder if she's gotten to the part where they tell you that being rude and in people's face all the time does not win friends or help you to influence people? If I had a teen with her attitude, we'd have some serious relationship problems.

• Love 1

I'm watching the Roy segment now, holy shit this reunion is annoying. The host is awful. "Oh. Em. GEE!" I want to slap her. The whole Roy crush is insane anyway, Roy is so YOUNG. Whitney is the thirstiest bitch on the planet. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Me from ME said:

While we are on the subject of higher education. What bugs me is the celebrities who are given an honorary doctorate and use the title as if they had a legitimate degree. In a similar vein, I seem to recall that Bill Cosby did minimal classwork to "earn" his Ed.D. I think he was able to use a lot of life experience in lieu of formal coursework. For years he presented himself as an expert.

What used to make me crazy was the credit at the end of Cosby's show:  "Dr. Bill Cosby, Ed.D"; proper form is to pick one or the other, but not Dr. AND Ed.D. To use both is redundant and "in your face," especially given the fact that most of his doctoral credits were earned at weekend seminars.  

I suspect he spent more time drugging and raping young wanna-be actresses than he ever spent in a classroom.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 15

Is Whitney blaming her PCOS on her weight gain? Her horrific eating habits have nothing to do with it? As long as she's still in denial, she won't ever lose weight. 

Sorry,  no sympathy for Buddy. Maybe it was out of line to bring up the rent situation at the reunion, but....work more hours in the bar and get your damn rent paid on time! You're a grown ass man. He doesn't seem to have one ounce of ambition for anything. What a loser. 

Heather and Tal didn't need to be there. 

Babs (she's so pretty) seemed off to me. She's clearly struggling with her health. I hope she's doing better. Glen looked mortified every time Whitney opened her mouth.

Roy is huge. During the season, he said he was losing weight when the show was filming and I know he said on the reunion that he was losing weight but I don't see it.  

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Amy B,

I know that the previous episode is sometimes discussed on MRL. Did they mention it today? (I am away from home and have limited internet so I can't afford to listen to the entire program.)

Yea they did very briefly. Wasn't much said other than they are going to be on next season  which starts filming May 6. (Tlc reached out to them to be on the show) And apparently Roy does have another gf now (and its not Twit). He also said Twit never comes down with out camera crews.  

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, AmyB said:

I have a MSEd in Counseling Psychology from a graduate school of Education at a major university.  One of the reasons I didn't go for an EdD in something like early childhood/adolescent development is because I was already working full time and in my late 20s/early 30s and the demands of the PhD program were too rigorous and they wouldn't even accept me unless I cut back my working hours to part time!

First of all, if Jiya were going to go for any doctoral degree in that subject, it would most likely be the EdD, which is for teachers that plan to apply their education in a school setting.  Is she a teacher?  Having access to kids for her dance routines makes me think she is one, or wants to be one.  A PhD program in the subject would prepare a person exclusively for teaching and research in the subject, which I somehow doubt she would be looking to do.  So right off the bat I find her calling it a PhD suspicious.  Secondly, if she's doing this online I find it even more suspicious.  Knowing how much classwork, paper writing and and exam taking is required for such a degree, not to mention the additional fieldwork and internships, I kind of doubt Ms. Thing would have much time left to pursue such a heavy schedule of synchronized twerking plus any real job.

In addition, reputable, accredited universities often require a relevant Master's degree as a prerequisite for a doctorate or EdD, even a teaching certificate and GRE exam scores, which makes me wonder yet again about the quality of the school she's going to.  I know it can't be Strayer because I checked and they don't offer PhD programs.  Anyway, just how many degrees in different subjects does this woman have or plan to get?  Has she spent most of her life in school?  From what was posted above, she already has an MBA and now she's switched gears entirely and is going for an advanced degree in Education to boot?  I know this is not impossible nor necessarily bad, but going for all that education and then switching gears can sometimes be the sign of someone that looks upon education less seriously than they probably should if they're going into such a field and signs up for easy to get online programs to add to their "resume".  Just my opinion there.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I was floored when everyone said they thought Todd was just jealous.  No.  He was pissed because - as usual - Twit took an event (their trip to New York) and flipped on their plans as soon as something that she thought was more Twit-centric became available.

I'm not a fan of Todd's, and haven't been since he so-easily called Kerryn the c-word on last season's finale. But I've always thought he must have very mixed feelings about  the show.  I mean, the whole ball got rolling for Whitney when the video of the two of them dancing hit YouTube. (And I don't exactly recall how that happened, but I have a  vague memory he was somehow involved in urging her to post it.) When the video went viral and everyone wanted to interview Whitney, I expect he was probably amused and proud of her, and OK with seeing her have her fifteen minutes. And I have no doubt it never occurred to Whitney for a minute that Todd should be included in her publicity whirlwind. But he was, after all, on the video too, and it wouldn't surprise me if he felt a little left out of all the hoop-la.

Then, the show. A full scale television series with Whitney as the star, and Todd, her "eternal dance partner," and aspiring actor/singer/dancer and (arguably) the catalyst to the whole thing is relegated to supporting cast.  Whitney uses him as necessary, ignores him when it suits her, complains about him and disses him if it works for the show storyline, and is about as sensitive to his feelings in the situation as she is to Henchi's feelings about being kissed on the mouth.

I think Todd is both jealous and pissed, and I really can't blame him.

• Love 14

It is clear the elephant in the room (pun intended) --her WEIGHT, is now completely off limits for discussion, which is ridiculous. The badgering and embarrassing of Buddy was a waste of everyone's time and Jiya of course never "has time" ever for Whitney's nonsense. Her poor parents seemed sad, befuddled and embarrassed. 

Why wasn't she asked, "Do you think your weight will be a hindrance assuming you do tour with the Fitness Marshall?" And after the big fat non-pregnancy the doctor told her straight up that her weight AND PCOS was causing her hormones to be way out of whack. Never mentioned by anyone.

My Big Fabulous Life without the "Fat" has devolved into standard reality-show dramatics. Whitney apparently is just "fabulous," not fat anymore. (And that black outfit was so "slimming" you could barely see her, right?)

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Is she a teacher?

That was my question. I've always been very suspicious of people that pursue advance degrees from places like Strayer but I heard a really, really good explanation once. In certain fields, notably public school systems including administration, a masters or doctorate even from a place like Strayer can qualify you for a promotion or pay raise that more than makes it worth it to obtain one.

Now I of course question why they would set up the system that way, I wish it was based on a hard earned relevent degree from a respected university but if you just need to check the box for a pay raise or promotion I can understand why someone might choose to do it that way.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

That doesn't surprise me regarding the type of school she has attended.  Usually people that get an MBA don't go on for a PhD in Business unless they intend to teach the subject or pursue academic research, as the degree programs are mostly structured for that purpose.  So I wonder what she could possibly be getting the PhD in as I can't imagine she'd want to go in that direction.

Maybe she's getting a PhD in twerking? Or Twitting?

• Love 1