Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: Battle of the Beasts

At 43 seconds, I couldn't help but laugh:

• McKenzie: "You guys remember that crazy elevator scene in the movie 'Drive'...?"
  • Emily: "...?"

"Kung-Fu-nale" is the Ciggiest thing he's said this season.  :) I like the idea of this challenge, although it remains to be seen how it looks in practice with rushed foam animal costumes.  Unfortunately, it also sounds like we're going to back to the single episode, staged choreography finale, compared to the 2-episode, 2-day, "indie horror movie shoot" set up they've done the last few seasons, which I really enjoyed as a finale format.

• Love 3

Kung Fu nale.  No.  For that, I have Kung Fu Panda, and other animal films.....I'm so disappointed.  I'll tune in the last few, maybe.  Sorry, if it was going to be AS teams, should have stayed that way.  I was so pumped all season............

So funny, related story here.  The Gherkin has only the last few episodes been watching with me.  Obviously, they are rerunning this season in preparation for the finale.  G is eating his breakfast, watching the first epi, says "Man, I feel so sorry for Logan".  Me "What?  Why?  They haven't even done anything yet!". G "Well, he's paired with Adam.  What a jerk, right?  I SHOULD have won my season, he says".  Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.

• Love 2

Knew it.  Didn't care for any of those, but Cig's was by far the best.  Congratulations, Cig, you deserve it. GREAT JOB.  Great season.  Can't wait for June 13, so I'll see ya'll then, if I don't make noise in the meantime!  Happy with this outcome, happy for Cig, I hope this leads to great things for him, as well as Emily and George.  God, it is odd to think of how old one is when started watching a show...............

• Love 3

Cig won.

The episode went by so fast I'm not sure what the designs looked like just standing still.  They had ?three days to produce the two designs.  I'll rewatch with my pause button ready and willing to be used. 

• Love 2

eh, not particularly thrilled Cig won. There wasn't enough shown of each character for me to really pick a favorite. I think the Dragon character was the one that really won it for Cig even if I was rooting for Emily. Loved the Mantis.

• Love 4

Well, I figured in the last episode that the fix was in for Cig.  What a shock that he won.  Since Face Off has gone the way of other reality shows, I'm adding it to the list of shows I'm not watching anymore.  Cig was not the best contestant this season.

• Love 2
Just now, Canada said:

Well, I figured in the last episode that the fix was in for Cig.  What a shock that he won.  Since Face Off has gone the way of other reality shows, I'm adding it to the list of shows I'm not watching anymore.  Cig was not the best contestant this season.

I'll go with you, to a point.  I was just venting to Mr. Pickles yesterday that FFS, if it was going to be teams, then BE TEAMS.  BUT, out of the three, I'm ok with Cig winning.  Plus, emotions.  I'll say it.  I teared up too. 

• Love 1

The dragon won it for Cig, but overall I found his work hit and miss most of this season and not hugely deserving of the win.  Only liked a couple of his makeups.  Maybe he doesn't work with my aesthetic or I wouldn't have the taste in movies that his skills may take him. Not shocked that he won. He may do well with some gigs, but has a certain skillset  and ability and that is it. I hope he does well. Emily being maybe in her early 20s at most, has a more promising future. For someone with little life experience or pop culture references, her work was impressive. Detailed and polished. Will be interesting to see her five to ten years from now. George was okay. Decent makeup.

• Love 4

I hated the whole kung fu thing.  About half asleep watching all these alien forms fight each other.  Kind of a lame finale.  BUT I'll live with it knowing there is more FO to come.  See, I said I wouldn't comment, and you make me..........

I agree that this ep went by so fast it didn't really make much of an impact on me. Way, way too short there Syfy. Where was Michael Westmore? Where was the reunion party back at the contestants' house the night before judging? Where was the Skype call with the finalists' loved ones back home to make them tear up and totally lose their focus for the challenge? And where were the damn close ups of the finished makeups?!

Really, really wanted Emily to win but when I heard the challenge was a Kung fu fight scene I figured TPTB were not gearing it toward her. (Like how the previous All-Star season finale featured a ballet performance, and you know they did that for Laura to win). Cig's dragon was fucking awesome but I don't really know what any of the other makeups actually looked like. too bad we couldn't have gotten some stills. And it's too bad Syfy couldn't give them two hours for the finale, or even and hour and a half. This was kind of a big blur IMO.

All that being said, I applaud the contestants for their hard work and dedication. I admit to tearing up a little when Cig was announced winner, too. His surprise was so genuine I couldn't help but be happy for him. I would never in a million years have guessed he'd be a winner when I first saw him back in season 7, but he's come a long way, along with George and EMily. Best wishes for them all in their futures!

Also, I noticed that Team George all had shorty shorts in in the lab on Day 2. It must be his trademark now, LOL.

Not sure how I feel about such a lightning-fast turnaround on the next season. Give me time to miss you, Show.

ETA - At first I didn't think this challenge was a great idea - another one of those "sounds great on paper but doesn't work in actuality" kind of things. It all turned out better than I feared, but I'm still not convinced it was the best challenge to show off the contestants' true talents.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Not sure how I feel about such a lightning-fast turnaround on the next season. Give me time to miss you, Show.

I am thrilled, don't know if I could wait another year!  I'm old,  my nerves couldn't take it.

• Love 2

I am thrilled that Cig won.  I thought he had a very good season and two good creations for the finale while George and Emily each had one good one and one not so great.  I didn't like either bird person and I would never have got "mantis" from Emily's second character although the work itself looked good.  

Emily seemed to be almost in tears during her THs throughout so I was reasonably sure she hadn't won.  

I wish all three plus Tyler could have won but Cig was my favorite all along so I'm happy, happy with the outcome.

• Love 1

Love Cig! Liked all of them but on Face Off I usually do. The team thing threw me at first; I came around, though, ans it's still my top competition show (minimum drama, maximum skill). 

SO BE IT

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Where was Michael Westmore? 

Seriously, the finale is when they decide not to have him? And why didn't we get the closeups of the makeups?

I thought all 3 did a good job, & I didn't have a preference for a winner, so I'm OK with Cig winning.

• Love 1

I didn't really have a favorite amongst the three so I'm fine with Cig's win, but I didn't like the episode format at all!  Like others have said already it was really hard to assess the makeup through an action film and compounding the problem was that the lighting/cinematography was terrible in my opinion.  Nicely done feathers on George's eagle? Who can tell?!! Also, I really enjoy Mr. Westmore's critiques so the departure from that format made the process feel not complete.

I'm not a fan of the 2 part finale as having an episode for the purpose of announcing the winner a week after the creative episode is aired sucks out a lot of excitement and continuity of a finale, but I would be a fan of making the finale a 1 and half or 2 hour special.

Edited by Caria
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Seriously, the finale is when they decide not to have him? And why didn't we get the closeups of the makeups?

I thought all 3 did a good job, & I didn't have a preference for a winner, so I'm OK with Cig winning.

The recap got me thinking... Cigs individual makeups were featured over and over in the episode and short film.  The other four were mostly shown in action.  I think *and this is my theory* that the other makeups weren't all that great... or maybe the other 2 just had one good and one not so good look.  With this being the finale, they didn't want to have to pick apart the not so good makeups.  YMMV

And I do love the final 4 (+ Ben) but I'm really glad it was Cig.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3

I'm fine with not seeing Michael Westmore in the finale; since the assignment is supposed to simulate the experience of a "real" movie, a mentor isn't provided to offer guidance. You're expected to come up with the design, manage your crew, and support the makeup while filming is going on. While I don't think it's very interesting to watch, I do think it is interesting for the contestants to see their work on film and also create a makeup that withstands dialogue (facial movement) as well as body action.

I think Cig's tiger really nailed it. It doesn't call attention to itself, just conveys tiger + age/experience, a kind of toughness that has survived a long time. 

I would have been happy with any of them winning, really. I wish all of the contestants the best, and I hope they get the opportunity to work together in future projects, even if we don't get to see them having fun anymore.

Edited by Reishe
more thoughts
  • Love 5

I loved all three finalists! I was rooting for Emily to win it all. That girl is insanely talented and should have a fabulously successful career. I love how creative she is. But I was happy for Cig too. When he turned up in his first season and introduced himself as "Cig Neutron" my eyes practically rolled out of my head and I thought "precious hipster", but I came to really like him a lot and I was glad to see him this season. I love his sense of humor and quirky perspective. That tiger was amazeballs. George! What can I say? Is he the most lovable contestant on this show ever? He seems like such a nice guy, always up for a laugh. Congratulations to all of them. Can't wait for the new season. I love this show.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, Sister Spooky said:

They have photos of the finale make ups at http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/photos/spotlight-challenge-battle-of-the-beasts

You rock! That really helps me reconcile the results. I was pulling for Emily but can see why Cig won. The tiger managed to pull off what a human would look like who took on tiger characteristics. But I love Emily's mantis - last night I wanted to see it close up and never got the opportunity. 

I was really happy with this season. I still think that Emily & Tyler's fabric puppet was the stand-out work of this season. But the challenges were great and the competitors were so very good and professional. I hope the new season in June manages to find really good makeup artists. The season before "All Stars", I felt the talent was lacking. I hope they found a new batch of really creative professionals!

The close ups.... 
Cig's tiger face was great, but (unlike the judges) I didn't like the old 'human' white hair.  Straight aged cat fur would have done the fabulous face proud.
Cig's dragon I liked the paint, but I kept seeing that sort of thing in tens of past episodes.  I'm not sure I would have called it a dragon and not a demon.  

Birds were almost guaranteed to bring down whoever sculpted them for action. I was impressed by how Emily's bird looked in the close up.  The editing did it no favors.

The preying mantis....really interesting sculpt and paint, (mention of the hat as an influence=clever), but would we have guessed it was a mantis?

George's snake to me didn't look much like a snake.  The eyes highlight was too much of a Mardi Gras costume mask.  And the big skull should have been sleek.

Cig's tiger face for the win.  Emily's bird an almost win.  

Worst: Cig's dragon.  

Favorite that didn't look like what it was supposed to: Emily's mantis.

That this has been such a memorable short season:  we won.  

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

That this has been such a memorable short season:  we won.  

Heh.  We sure did. I'm stoked (yes, 1995) for this upcoming season.  I really am.  I'm ok with Cig, not thrilled, and I pretty much hated everything, but hey.  What would happen with no more FO?

I LOVED this season, and then disliked the finale show. It felt rushed. It's really nice that they have the make-up photos at the website, but dammit I wanted to see them closer during the show, pre-winner announcement, so I could make my own completely amateurish decision based just on what I saw. And I wish I did hear some criticism, or at the very least, the rationale behind picking Cig. Not saying he didn't deserve to win (I kind of liked his dragon the most of all of them - from what I could see) but what set his apart for the experts? From my standpoint, and in agreement with ENOUGHCATS, it seemed to me right away that if you got stuck with a bird, you were working with a disadvantage. When they got their picks, I thought, "Well, now, tiger and dragon...Cig's got it in the bag." If I had heard what the judges thought, the choice of Cig might not have seem so predestined.

• Love 6

I found myself playing Solitaire through the finale and only looked up once in a while. Kung-fu beasts? Boring, sorry.

Emily's preying mantis would have looked more mantis-like had she painted it green. It just looked like a generic brown bug. Didn't really get dragon from the dragon, didn't really get crane from the crane... Yeah, not very impressive finale.

• Love 1

Not only did George, like Emily, have a bird, he also had a snake. Snakes are another one of those things, like lava, to avoid on this show. I remember Laura running away from the snake she otherwise would've gotten stuck with in a previous season, because she was smart enough to know it's one of those things you just don't do on this show.

I like all three finalists equally as people, and they're all talented, so I wasn't really rooting for anyone to win. In that respect, I was fine with Cig, and happy for him. However, I do think it came down to his getting to pick first, as whoever got the dragon/tiger combo would have a huge leg up on the others. A dragon is just such an slam dunk showstopper - assuming the work is competent, it's always going to be naturally more visually impressive than anything else - while a tiger is also pretty impressive while having the same advantage of not being a bird or a snake. I didn't think it was really very fair to pair up the dragon and tiger. Especially since it turned out that those were the two with starring parts, as well - and why were those the two with starring parts? Because they're just naturally more impressive than the rest. Sure, it meant Cig had to do some more work around the mouth, but it also lent itself to additional screen time where the dragon and tiger could just basically stand there posing, the better to show off all the work.

Cig's a deserving winner. But I think any one of them would have won with the dragon/tiger combo, and that does bum me out. The last couple of finales were fairer in that respect, I thought. This must have been particularly deja vu for Emily as she lost her original season with a similarly stacked finale concept - that season, each finalist had to execute a particular theme, and Darla got the fantasy one while Emily got post-apocalyptic (and Logan got sci-fi). Of course the audience members who voted liked the fantasy one best, as did the judges, because it was the naturally the most beautiful one.

• Love 8

I thought that Emily's bug looked like a cockroach. I just couldn't shake that image, and I really didn't like it. I absolutely genuinely like all of the final 3- was happy Cig won, but was kind of pulling for George. He just comes off as so sweet.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, 3jt said:

I thought that Emily's bug looked like a cockroach. I just couldn't shake that image, and I really didn't like it. I absolutely genuinely like all of the final 3- was happy Cig won, but was kind of pulling for George. He just comes off as so sweet.

Same here, it totally read "roach" to me.  The antennas were way too long and facing completely backwards.  The headpiece was shield-like, like a roach's prothorax.  Even the color was German cockroach.   There are mantises that have beautiful patterns and colors.  Some camouflage in flowers.   So many missed opportunities.

I had high hopes for the crane, a graceful bird with spectacular head plumage.  Pulling the skin into a bun didn't do it for me, and the face lacked the beauty that characterizes this bird.  I was rooting for Emily but seeing the wasted potential of the crane and mantis, I thought she was geared to lose.

Cig's was way above everyone else's.  His dragon really popped.  Good idea keeping the dreads, too.

George, meh.  The eagle didn't have those mean, piercing eyes.  The snake looked clunky and painted with cheap paint.

I agree with the judge's decision.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

Emily was the best throughout the season but after last week it seemed clear they were tilting towards Cig.  Disappointed.

ITA, but I'm willing to accept that viewers may not get to see everything that they should to know where the judges are coming from. It wouldn't have taken much explanation, but we didn't get it. It's a shame they couldn't do a dual winner; I've only seen one reality competition do it, and it would have been awkward with a final 3.

• Love 1

No one has mentioned Cig and George's finale outfits yet.  I thought Cig's was going to burn out my retinas.  In contrast, George's brocade jacket and shorts were almost low-key.

• Love 5

Speaking from the shallow end of the pool, McKenzie is an attractive woman who wears her outfits well, but last night all I could stare at was her unnaturally yellow hair and the highly-prominent roots. If this is some kind of on-purpose, fashionable look, I'm not a fan.

• Love 1

highly-prominent roots

She's had dark roots quite often this season, starting with the first episode. I just assumed she is trying to get pregnant--some women forego dyeing their hair when trying to conceive to limit exposure to the chemicals, I figured she might be dyeing it less frequently. Even if that's not the case, there are other reasons one might want or need to cut back on dyeing hair and, short of a wig, it's hard to cover up dark roots, so I find it best to assume she has a good reason and there's not that much she can do, so it's just nice to embrace her humanity and move on.

Cig and George's finale outfits

Yeah, they were... something else. Color me shocked no one has mentioned Glenn's Chinese-inspired outfit. 

• Love 2

Speaking from the shallow end of the pool, McKenzie is an attractive woman who wears her outfits well, but last night all I could stare at was her unnaturally yellow hair and the highly-prominent roots. If this is some kind of on-purpose, fashionable look, I'm not a fan.

Hee. TA Son and I used to critique McKenzie's outfits each week, but I have completely resisted this season. Perhaps it is because TA Son is now at college, or maybe it is that I have gotten used to the fact that shorter and tighter and glitzier is better where McKenzie's stylist is concerned. Yes, without a doubt, she can pull off those super tight super short and super sequiney dresses, and she seems like a lovely woman, but she also looked lovely in jeans the few times she has worn them, and these dresses make her seem more like a Price Is Right model than the host of a show focused on skill, creativity and imagination. Just sayin...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Reishe said:

I just assumed she is trying to get pregnant--some women

If she is, I wish her the best of luck, I think we all thought she was when they finally gave her a chair a few seasons ago.  BUT, she already has  a son who has to be eleven or so, and she did have some eating disorder stuff back in her PASSIONS days.   And she's almost as old as me LOL.  But if that is what she wants, more power to her.  Or she might just want to try brunette............

2 hours ago, Reishe said:

I figured she might be dyeing it less frequently. Even if that's not the case, there are other reasons one might want or need to cut back on dyeing hair and, short of a wig, it's hard to cover up dark roots, so I find it best to assume she has a good reason and there's not that much she can do, so it's just nice to embrace her humanity and move on.

You don't have to be Lady Gaga to wear a hat. McKenzie may be taking the natural route to an Ombre.

I'm so happy for Cig. He seemed genuinely shocked and touched. I love how close this group all seem to be. Everyone was so happy for him and George made me squee when he said how happy he was that his best friend won.

I do think Cig's two characters were much better than either bird but I did like the snake and the mantis. But that lion and dragon were outstanding.

I really would have been happy with any of them winning but I am extra glad it was Cig. I really do adore him.

I kind of laughed when Blue hair who's name I can't spell was the last chosen. Adam still looks like a tool. But it was great to see all the rest of them. This was a great group.

Congrats Cig!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sister Spooky said:

Thanks so much for posting.  It's great that there is one full body shot and one close up.

The crane - very good from a distance, not so good close up

The mantis - Kind of cool but not really mantissy looking

The Tiger and the Dragon both rocked. Liked seeing the full chest work on the dragon

The eagle - not fond of the yellow on the face but liked the skin tones... made it look more like a human transitioning.

The snake - kind of weird/ not my favourite

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Lorimac said:

Hee. TA Son and I used to critique McKenzie's outfits each week, but I have completely resisted this season. Perhaps it is because TA Son is now at college, or maybe it is that I have gotten used to the fact that shorter and tighter and glitzier is better where McKenzie's stylist is concerned. Yes, without a doubt, she can pull off those super tight super short and super sequiney dresses, and she seems like a lovely woman, but she also looked lovely in jeans the few times she has worn them, and these dresses make her seem more like a Price Is Right model than the host of a show focused on skill, creativity and imagination. Just sayin...

I have long said that McKenzie looks a hundred times prettier and more comfortable when they're on a location and she's in jeans with her hair in a ponytail. She's so pretty. I wish she'd embrace a less brassy hair color (you can rock an ash or honey blonde, McKenzie!) and simpler dress style. She can pull off the Heidi Klum-esque short, tight and shiny look, to be sure, but I always get the feeling she's playing dress up, she doesn't look comfortable and I wonder if that contributes to her sometimes wooden delivery.

• Love 1

I don't get the super glitzy look for McKenzie because this isn't a super glitzy show. It's not like a fashion or modeling competition. It's a competition for people who work in jeans and crazy blazer shorts combos with purple, blue and red hair. She always seems overdressed and I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was. I guess she's supposed to class the joint up? or make the judging seem more formal? IDK, it doesn't really go with the show so they could drop it, put her in some cute flats and a summer dress or a nice pair of pants and pretty top and call it a day.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I kind of laughed when Blue hair who's name I can't spell was the last chosen. Adam still looks like a tool. But it was great to see all the rest of them. This was a great group.

If this was Project Runway, they would cut to a talking head of Blue Hair whining about lack of respect.  Since it's Face Off, she made a joke about saving the best for last, and they all focused on the challenge.

• Love 4

A little late to the discussion since my DVR froze about 15 minutes into the episode so I had to re-record it early this morning and watch it! Grrr!

I was really happy with all 3 finalists going into the finale and I would've been okay with any of them winning. I think this may have been my favorite final 3 of any season! I thought all 3 teams did a fantastic job and I was really happy for them that they all put forth such good work! I think Emily is crazy talented and I absolutely adore George, but I had to give the victory to Cig by a slight margin because I thought both of his creatures were very strong. I couldn't find fault with either one of them, and I especially loved the tiger - the age makeup and the scarring just looked sooooo good, and I think he had the perfect human/tiger balance.  He looked great in action too. I actually thought all of them looked good in action. I thought it was cute how Cig and George both wore paisley jackets at the judging, and I thought it was sweet when Emily said how thankful she was for Tyler - awww! 

I do wish this had been a super-sized episode (at least 90 minutes, come on!) so we could've seen more of the process and the teamwork though. I'm really really going to miss Cig and George's bromance - I hope they pop up as guests on a future season!

• Love 4