Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E08: There's A New Sheriff In Town (Double Episode)

• Start Topic

Can we now have Survivor be Ozzy free permanently?  4 chances, 4 losses, enough already. 

Oh, and another thing.In a reunion season its just not right to bring back players whose gameplay wasn't seen by the other players. Its a big advantage, and frankly an unfair one.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think it's a disadvantage.  Returning players come to the season with a bunch of pre-game alliances already in place. 

Agreed, and I think the fact that they are unknowns makes them more likely to be an easy first target, as unknowns are something you want to control as much as possible in this game. Although now that I type this, I can't remember that actually happening in reality, but it gets talked about a lot by the contestants. 

• Love 2

I used to think it was a disadvantage, but as far as I can remember, starting from Rupert in All Stars, it seems that most back-to-back unknown players did rather well, sometimes even better than in their first season. Maybe it's because they are known as having no preexisting relations, so are catnip to strategic players? It's just a theory, I have no idea really, but it's interesting that what we would think is not necessarily matched by facts.

• Love 3

He's [Ozzy] just popular.  

And with none more so than Probst's crotch.

Given his performances in both ICs this week, and his expertise for finding HIs, the rest would be fools not to try to blindside Tai ASAP.

Go Cirie!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KHenry14 said:

I just think Russell Hantz would have been treated a LOT differently in HvV had people seen his season. 

As in... they would have bounced his ass in a New York minute?  No disagreement here.  ;>

• Love 4
On 4/23/2017 at 2:50 PM, whiitter said:

So whats going on here? They are just BFFs though? I think the photo is fake, but Brett and Sunday kinda seem to be close :). I wanna know if Zeke likes boys or girls though!!!! Its killing me. 

zeke.PNG

Gotta love the shoes, though.

• Love 2

I wonder who is BFF from this season is? I've seen a lot of pictures of the Game Changers cast with each other but I can't recall any of him. I know MvGenX is pretty close. I wonder if the flip of Zeke last week left a sour taste in some of the cast. I'll guess we'll get an idea this week. Also, the shoes are on fleek. Wait! That saying is out, right? What are the kids saying now? I'm so out of touch. LOL!!

• Love 2

I really hope that Michaela steps up her game from here on out. I was on board with her getting a return invite because I hated seeing her get booted last season due to Jay being a racist, but she has been a disappointment so far. Her social game is awful and her strategic game is non-existent. Unless she is foxing in all of these challenges that she hasn't stood out in, that would show at least a little strategy. The bright spot of her presence so far has been that it allowed Cirie to mentor her. Their talk reminded me that Cirie was my favorite on her original season. Unfortunately, when she returned she seemed to have bought into her own hype and became unlikable to me, but I enjoyed her in this episode.

3 hours ago, Fortune Falcon said:

I really hope that Michaela steps up her game from here on out. I was on board with her getting a return invite because I hated seeing her get booted last season due to Jay being a racist, but she has been a disappointment so far. Her social game is awful and her strategic game is non-existent. Unless she is foxing in all of these challenges that she hasn't stood out in, that would show at least a little strategy. The bright spot of her presence so far has been that it allowed Cirie to mentor her. Their talk reminded me that Cirie was my favorite on her original season. Unfortunately, when she returned she seemed to have bought into her own hype and became unlikable to me, but I enjoyed her in this episode.

Wait! Michaela was voted out because of Jay being racist? I must have missed that. I thought she was voted out because she started showing she had a brain and a plan with the rocks on the beach as a diagram to the others.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Michaela was voted out because of Jay being racist? I must have missed that. I thought she was voted out because she started showing she had a brain and a plan with the rocks on the beach as a diagram to the others.

That's exactly why she was voted out. Jay never showed an inkling of racism and stated many times that Michaela had to go because she was intelligent and was coming after his ally Michelle.

• Love 6

Aww, the mvgx Vegas weekend. Good times. I'd never seen that picture. (Mari did an incredibly funny gag on Jay's Vegas Snapchat about the inadvertent racism on Survivor, so yeah...)

So, according to Adam from last season, "90% of all Survivor winners" are in the majority in the first vote at the merge. I have read absolutely no, nada, zero spoilers, but by that logic, this year's potential winners would be:

Culpepper, Sierra, Debbie, Tai, Troyzan or Sarah.

For me, that is extremely depressing.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Although it would be kind of amusing to see Troyzan bumble his way to the finals. I keep forgetting he's even there.

He does still have an idol (and it seems hasn't told anyone about it...)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Jay never showed an inkling of racism and stated many times that Michaela had to go because she was intelligent and was coming after his ally Michelle.

I think it was primarily that she wanted Michelle gone, but for some reason they didn't show that on the show.

1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Although it would be kind of amusing to see Troyzan bumble his way to the finals. I keep forgetting he's even there.

I would love this tbh. As I've said a million times, Troyzan's reactions to everything are the only thing that has consistently entertained me all season.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I would love this tbh. As I've said a million times, Troyzan's reactions to everything are the only thing that has consistently entertained me all season.

It's a testament to how bad this season is that I wouldn't hate it if Troy won.

• Love 8

Troyzan's reactions to everything are the only thing that has consistently entertained me all season.

He reminds me of someone's drunk uncle, and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible.

• Love 5

Survivor is my #1 favorite show but this year it's been sort of meh for me. They've shown a lot of Brad & Sierra so I'm assuming one of them wins. They haven't shown Troyzan much at all so he could be in the Final 3 possibly. I'm kind of depressed if that's the Final 3 though. Also, Sarah has been kind of quiet on the show & in the edit. Maybe, she is getting the Michelle edit and finishes up strong.  I'm old school and I want Cirie or Andrea to win but I think that's a long shot. I don't think Debbie or Zeke have a shot at all. I feel there's been too many twist this season and the real game of Survivor didn't get to be played. 

• Love 3

I think it was primarily that she wanted Michelle gone, but for some reason they didn't show that on the show.

I honestly think the permutations of millennial alliances were so confusing (especially since the millennials never lost after the second ep) that they edited to the post-merge dynamics. They knew Jay got the furthest of that "cool kids" group, so they made him into the "kingpin," with Taylor and Will each as his right-hand man at varying times -- which pushed Michelle (ostensibly the brains of the operation) into irrelevance as the first post-merge boot.

They couldn't show that Jay wanted to protect an alliance we never really saw -- hence "we have to boot Michaela because she's so intelligent" (x 1,000).

3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Does that hold with split votes though??

I feel like Debbie's extra vote sort of solidified them as a group, though. She didn't tell Cirie, Aubry, or Andrea about her plan to boot Ozzy, did she? (Michaela and Zeke are on borrowed time, I fear). So, I fear that's indeed the sad majority -- now more bonded than ever.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I honestly think the permutations of millennial alliances were so confusing (especially since the millennials never lost after the second ep) that they edited to the post-merge dynamics. They knew Jay got the furthest of that "cool kids" group, so they made him into the "kingpin," with Taylor and Will each as his right-hand man at varying times -- which pushed Michelle (ostensibly the brains of the operation) into irrelevance as the first post-merge boot.

They couldn't show that Jay wanted to protect an alliance we never really saw -- hence "we have to boot Michaela because she's so intelligent" (x 1,000).

Yes this is pretty much an accurate assessment. Zeke himself called Michelle the "leader of the alliance" in a secret scene at the tribe swap but since as you said she was the merge boot none of this was shown. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hera said:

Zeus says Troyzan reminds him of Oscar Bluth from Arrested Development.

Well, Zeus just made me snarf Pepsi through my nasal passages. Now I'm in pain and I'll never be able to see Troyzan without making that connection again. *sigh*

*mutters* Greek gods, always messing with mankind.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I feel like Debbie's extra vote sort of solidified them as a group, though. She didn't tell Cirie, Aubry, or Andrea about her plan to boot Ozzy, did she? (Michaela and Zeke are on borrowed time, I fear). So, I fear that's indeed the sad majority -- now more bonded than ever.

Agreed!  But that's not the first merge vote.  The first merge vote was Hali, and the only reason Cirie and Andrea didn't vote for Hali is because it was a split-vote.  So if Adam's stupid Survivor nerd sabermetric is true, do they count as "in the majority" or not?  After all the person they wanted out is who went out, and the person they voted for was the person they were trying to save (and the same holds true of Sierra's alliance...they wanted Hali to stay and Michaela to go, so were they really in 'the majority'?)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

So if Adam's stupid Survivor nerd sabermetric is true, do they count as "in the majority" or not? 

Well, if I was Adam, I would yell at the camera and say:

"If you had two groups of people in a supposed majority alliance, I would look at the groups and say the one that voted out the actual target was comprised of mostly former NuMana. So, I would say the second group was outside the majority, due to the prior relationships involved in the first group."

"And with the Ozzy vote, Debbie has now ensured that if Cirie or anyone from the other group wants to make a move against someone from her group, they'll have to pull in people who haven't voted with them (technically) in two votes, as well as go against people they already trust."

(tongue-firmly-in-cheek, I love ya, @KimberStormer -- I'm just having fun. ;)

Translation: Adam's sabermetrics are based on trust forming with the first merge vote and I would say that's happened here due to both prior relationships and the Ozzy vote (which acted like a two-part first merge vote). So I think Cirie, Aubry and Andrea are outside the majority.

Edited by Eolivet
Talking like Adam is hard.
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Eolivet said:

So, according to Adam from last season, "90% of all Survivor winners" are in the majority in the first vote at the merge. I have read absolutely no, nada, zero spoilers, but by that logic, this year's potential winners would be:

I wanted to verify that, so I went to each season page at Wikipedia. Here's what I found:

• S1: Richard voted for Gretchen
  • S2: Tina voted for Jeff V (tie)
  • S3: Ethan voted for Clarence (famous vote for Lex by Teresa)
  • S4: Vecepia voted for Rob M.
  • S5: Brian voted for Ken
  • S6: Jenna voted for Roger
  • S7: Sandra voted for Andrew
  • S8: Ambuh voted for Lex
  • S9: Chris voted for Ami (Rory went out; first winner to vote wrong at merge)
  • S10: Tom voted for Coby
  • S11: Danni voted for Jamie (Brandon went out; second winner to vote wrong)
  • S12: Aras voted for Nick
  • S13: Yul voted for Nate (Penner flipped!)
  • S14: Weird TC: Earl was immune and exempt from voting; Michelle voted out.
  • S15: Todd voted for Jamie
  • S16: Parvati voted for "It's a fucking stick" Eliza
  • S17: Bob voted for Crystal (Charlie went out; 3rd winner to vote wrong)
  • S18: No vote ... Joe medavaced
  • S19: Natalie voted for Erik
  • S20: Sandra voted for JT (Parv's double idol play)
  • S21: Fabio voted for Alina
  • S22: Rob voted for Matt
  • S23: Sophie voted for Keith (ended in tie; Cochran flipped on revote and Keith went out)
  • S24: Kim voted for Jonas
  • S25: Denise voted for Penner (idol saved Penner, RC went out; 4th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S26: Cochran voted for Corrine
  • S27: Tyson voted for Aras
  • S28: Tony voted for Sarah
  • S29: No vote ... Julie quit
  • S30: Mike voted for Jenn (idol saved Jenn, Kelly went out; 5th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S31: Jeremy voted for Ciera/Kass (split vote; Kass went out; 6th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S32: No vote ... Neal medavaced
  • S33: Adam voted for Michelle
  • S34: ?? voted for ... Hali/Michaela (split vote)

We have three clear instances of the winner voting wrong: that's 90%. In cases (S25 and S30) where the idol was played, the winner still voted with the majority. In S31, that was a split vote, where Jeremy could have voted Kass or Ciera.

Adam's right!

When it comes to this season, since it was a split vote, that means Andrea, Aubry, Cirie, and Zeke are part of that majority, too. The only person out is Michaela, who voted for Zeke.

@Eolivet may be right, though: the edit is showing Cirie, Aubry, Michaela and Andrea (and Zeke) outside the majority.

Edited by cherrypj
Saw Eolivet's post.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, cherrypj said:

I wanted to verify that, so I went to each season page at Wikipedia. Here's what I found:

• S1: Richard voted for Gretchen
  • S2: Tina voted for Jeff V (tie)
  • S3: Ethan voted for Clarence (famous vote for Lex by Teresa)
  • S4: Vecepia voted for Rob M.
  • S5: Brian voted for Ken
  • S6: Jenna voted for Roger
  • S7: Sandra voted for Andrew
  • S8: Ambuh voted for Lex
  • S9: Chris voted for Ami (Rory went out; first winner to vote wrong at merge)
  • S10: Tom voted for Coby
  • S11: Danni voted for Jamie (Brandon went out; second winner to vote wrong)
  • S12: Aras voted for Nick
  • S13: Yul voted for Nate (Penner flipped!)
  • S14: Weird TC: Earl was immune and exempt from voting; Michelle voted out.
  • S15: Todd voted for Jamie
  • S16: Parvati voted for "It's a fucking stick" Eliza
  • S17: Bob voted for Crystal (Charlie went out; 3rd winner to vote wrong)
  • S18: No vote ... Joe medavaced
  • S19: Natalie voted for Erik
  • S20: Sandra voted for JT (Parv's double idol play)
  • S21: Fabio voted for Alina
  • S22: Rob voted for Matt
  • S23: Sophie voted for Keith (ended in tie; Cochran flipped on revote and Keith went out)
  • S24: Kim voted for Jonas
  • S25: Denise voted for Penner (idol saved Penner, RC went out; 4th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S26: Cochran voted for Corrine
  • S27: Tyson voted for Aras
  • S28: Tony voted for Sarah
  • S29: No vote ... Julie quit
  • S30: Mike voted for Jenn (idol saved Jenn, Kelly went out; 5th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S31: Jeremy voted for Ciera/Kass (split vote; Kass went out; 6th winner to vote "wrong")
  • S32: No vote ... Neal medavaced
  • S33: Adam voted for Michelle
  • S34: ?? voted for ... Hali/Michaela (split vote)

We have three clear instances of the winner voting wrong: that's 90%. In cases (S25 and S30) where the idol was played, the winner still voted with the majority. In S31, that was a split vote, where Jeremy could have voted Kass or Ciera.

Adam's right!

When it comes to this season, since it was a split vote, that means Andrea, Aubry, Cirie, and Zeke are part of that majority, too. The only person out is Michaela, who voted for Zeke.

@Eolivet may be right, though: the edit is showing Cirie, Aubry, Michaela and Andrea (and Zeke) outside the majority.

The edit! I swear I can't remember when I first became aware of "the edit". LOL!!! Maybe, Survivor: Samoa? I thought Russell (who I hated) was going to win and was kind of shocked when the winner was Natalie. Also, known to some as bitter jury. LOL!!. Then more recently with Michelle and Aubry. Michelle didn't have the edit and Aubry did. I'm sure there was some edit that through me earlier but I've been watching Survivor since Day 1 (I'm 52) and, it's hard to remember everything. LOL!!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cherrypj said:
23 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I wanted to verify that, so I went to each season page at Wikipedia.

When you think about, that statistic makes sense. Survivor is a game of social dynamics and if you want to win, you need to be good at navigating those. The first vote after the merge isn't a bad test of how well a player is doing at that—you have to find your way into the majority among a group that comprises people you have a lot of in-game information about (who is in their alliance, how reliable they are as votes, etc.) and people you know virtually nothing about.

• Love 2

Random question I keep meaning to ask: Usually we see the aftermath of TC when they return to camp at night but I noticed that, after the Varner debacle, they didn't discuss it until the next morning. Did they maybe take Zeke out of camp for the night or something? It was just unusual.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2017 at 2:33 PM, whiitter said:

it varies a lot from person to person.. I used to know a gal who got married to a girl but changed to a man. It is just rough on some relationships, because the woman she married was attracted to the woman she loves, but she is now a man feeling more comfortable with himself. Even though he has always liked vagina. 

like are you always a gay man, or do you become straight after you change your gender to the opposite of who you like? 

Whittier, I really appreciate you asking questions. It comes across in a genuinely curious nonjudgmental way, and that's important to correcting misinformation.

A lot of people are pansexual, that is, the genitalia doesn't matter at all. Some people would just call it "bisexual," but the thing about "pansexual" is that it not only acknowledges that one is not only limited to either women or men, but that one doesn't necessarily recognize the binary distinction of women OR men. I identify as pansexual.

Gender identity is male, female, queer, genderqueer, other, or whatever. I don't really give a crap about gender, so I go ahead and identify as "queer." I have a vagina and I've never been interested in changing that, but I've never been "feminine."

I know a man who was assigned female at birth and was a lesbian for many years. Then he transitioned to male and continued to date women for a while, but he ultimately fell in love with a man whom he married. 

It doesn't have to be something that you know for sure, and it doesn't have to be something that is fixed. I'm a pansexual queer with a vagina straight-married to a cishet mountain man.

This is wildly off-topic, I imagine, but the ep thread is dead and it isn't hostile. Is there a better place for it?

Edited by 303420
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, 303420 said:

Whittier, I really appreciate you asking questions. It comes across in a genuinely curious nonjudgmental way, and that's important to correcting misinformation.

A lot of people are pansexual, that is, the genitalia doesn't matter at all. Some people would just call it "bisexual," but the thing about "pansexual" is that it not only acknowledges that one is not only limited to either women or men, but that one doesn't necessarily recognize the binary distinction of women OR men. I identify as pansexual.

Gender identity is male, female, queer, genderqueer, other, or whatever. I don't really give a crap about gender, so I go ahead and identify as "queer." I have a vagina and I've never been interested in changing that, but I've never been "feminine."

I know a man who was assigned female at birth and was a lesbian for many years. Then he transitioned to male and continued to date women for a while, but he ultimately fell in love with a man whom he married. 

It doesn't have to be something that you know for sure, and it doesn't have to be something that is fixed. I'm a pansexual queer with a vagina straight-married to a cishet mountain man.

This is wildly off-topic, I imagine, but the ep thread is dead and it isn't hostile. Is there a better place for it?

Thank you! I feel as if I have "Live under a rock syndrome". I was grew up in a small town, with a small school with 300 people tops. Lol, so I am curious, but yes nonjudgmental. If anything I feel as if I have missed out on the opportunity to meet awesome people :) Thank you for the information though, that is very helpful. Also, I have no survivor friends in da real life haha, so :) if you wanna be survivor pals let me know! I am rewatching Koah Rong as I type! hehee 

Gender and sexual preference are two different things.  I have one male friend who was female at birth and is a Mac Daddy with the ladies.  Conversely, I have another friend who was female at birth and his partner is a gay man.  Both of these friends are on testosterone but neither have had gender reassignment surgery nor do they plan to have it.   I totally understood the sexual orientation of friend number 1 but friend number 2's blew my mind at first.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

WHY IS THE BACKGROUND MUSIC THIS EPISODE SO FRICKING LOUD??? It's like they are talking in a noisy bar with bad music.  We don't NEED all that music, CBS?  I'd rather hear the contestants TALK without the annoying sound effects.  The music is actually taking away from the COMMENTS.  Less is more, CBS.  

It hasn't been this CONSTANT and ANNOYING until this week.  Who is the director???  

It sounds like bagpipes or something.  Every episode.  Incredibly weird.