Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E08: There's A New Sheriff In Town (Double Episode)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I never watched BvW but didn't I hear about Monica giving up rewards?

BwW was terribly boring. Don't waste your time.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, renatae said:

This is so last week, but it's been bugging me. If Zeke had told no one, not even his family, how on earth did Varner know?

The long answer is in the Varner and Zeke threads, but the short answer is: he didn't.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, Drogo said:

Khaleesi does not love the two-hour episodes-- she gets very quiet in the second hour.  She was sad to see both Hali and Ozzy go, and wasn't a fan of Debbie's antics or Sierra's cockiness.

Probst needs 2 volunteers to sit out of the feast:  Stupid to volunteer.  Never do anything nice for people on Survivor, because then they're like "We have to get rid of that guy who did nice stuff for people. 

Probst tells Tai and Brad to go sit on a log:  I bet there's idol clues over there for them!  There's no idols/clues for them on the log:  Well that was useless. 

Debbie pretends to be drunk to fit in:  She's one of those people who gets right in your face to talk to you.  Right in your face.

Sierra the great and powerful leader:  She seems annoyed that anyone is questioning the plan, but the plan is stupid.  If you really think Hali has an Idol, you have to put more votes on her so she either goes home with the Idol or plays the Idol.  Sierra is really scared of Michaela for some reason. 

^^And just like that Sierra's logic, math skills, and eyebrows are eclipsed by a fourth-grader's.^^ 

Hali offers to strip to prove she doesn't have an Idol:  That's a weird thing to say to people who you know want to send you home.

The Marshall's Spa:  Scented candles?  In a place with bugs the size of your head? 

Zeke would rather make a move and go home than not make a move:  Yeah but, you should make a good move.  Not the one you're talking about.  Those are your friends.

I like how Troyzan looks so joyful anytime someone whispers a name that isn't "Troyzan" into his ear.  Those are some giant white teeth he's got in there.

But my favorite, about Ozzy's "Oh No Not I, I Will Provide" argument: 

I know what he's trying to say, but these people don't even want fish when they're getting food prizes all the time.  He's like a guy trying to get his friends to eat kale chips when they have a pizza being delivered. 

Khaleesi, youngest player ever to win Survivor!!!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, renatae said:

This is so last week, but it's been bugging me. If Zeke had told no one, not even his family, how on earth did Varner know?

44 minutes ago, kikaha said:

renatae, I'm confused too.  Can anyone tell me if, long before the past two Survivor seasons, the Harvard newspaper ran an article about Zeke as transgender? 

The short answer is that Varner guessed Zeke was transgender. He didn't know for certain but strongly suspected it. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, renatae said:

There was discussion online during Zeke's first season about his being transgender.  Varner would have been able to Google and see the questions.  Then when he met Zeke for real and saw the surgical scars on his chest, he might have been more sure.

It would have been interesting if Zeke had looked at Varner and said, "What in the H___ are you talking about?  I'm not transgender."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

There was discussion online during Zeke's first season about his being transgender.  Varner would have been able to Google and see the questions

No, he wouldn't. Varner would have been out filming during this time. The two seasons were filmed back to back. Someone way upthread or in another episode thread said that Zeke's surgery scars were visible. Varner figured it out from that, if Zeke didn't tell him privately that we're not privvy to.

• Love 2

I am certain that after the explosive TC, the tribe discussed how Zeke wanted to handle it going forward. No inside info; I just find it impossible to believe otherwise. We'll never know whether someone would have let it slip (accidentally or otherwise) later had Zeke decided that he didn't want it to be brought up to the others. If I were Zeke, I would have said, "don't bring it up, and if they ask, I'll tell them."

58 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

No, he wouldn't. Varner would have been out filming during this time. The two seasons were filmed back to back. Someone way upthread or in another episode thread said that Zeke's surgery scars were visible. Varner figured it out from that, if Zeke didn't tell him privately that we're not privvy to.

Varner was first on Survivor Outback in 2001.  

1 minute ago, 303420 said:

Indeed, but Zeke wasn't on Survivor until MvGx.

But if they were filming "back to back," why would Varner have already been on-site while MvGx was being filmed?  It just seems to me that Varner could have been at home, surfing the web about a show he had appeared on, and seen the info about Zeke.  Seems like he would have been checking out ALL potential contestants for GameChangers, once he knew he was going to be on it.

• Love 2

But he wouldn't even know Zeke's name or who is because MvGX did not air yet.  Season 33 and 34 filmed back to back last summer. Zeke's season didn't air until last fall. Varner  most lilely figured it out as others have said by the scars on his chest.  This is how the speculation about Zeke being trans originated among the survivor fandom particularly in places like Reddit and Sucks because the posters there noticed the scars too. 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, LanceM said:

But he wouldn't even know Zeke's name or who is because MvGX did not air yet.  Season 33 and 34 filmed back to back last summer. Zeke's season didn't air until last fall. 

Okay.  Now I get it.  I'm really short, and a lot of stuff goes right over my head.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!  LOL. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, kikaha said:

renatae, I'm confused too.  Can anyone tell me if, long before the past two Survivor seasons, the Harvard newspaper ran an article about Zeke as transgender? 

I'm quoting myself because I have the answer to my question.  The Harvard Crimson did indeed run a lengthy article in 2009 about Zeke, his transition from female to male, his activities in the transgender community.  In the very first paragraph Zeke says he changed his gender. 

The article says Zeke came out as transgender his junior year.  It describes some of his many sexual/gender-oriented activities on campus.  Those activities were involved enough that Zeke considered himself involved in "sex-positive activism."  “I have opinions and I’m used
to having to defend those opinions,” Zeke said in the article. “I’m out there, and I’ll say it.”

So I don't think it's quite accurate to say that Varner outed Zeke.  Zeke outed himself years ago, openly and publicly, at America's most famous university.   

• Love 7

I guess Zeke was right about one thing. If he mentioned he's trans it's all anyone talks about since it seems to still be dominating this discussion. 

I'm still confused why Debbie wanted Ozzy out. Let's be honest here, anyone but maybe Debbie beats him in FTC. He's still stuck in the version of this game where people aren't showered with food all the time. I'm sure they're hungry but FFS they literally get to gorge themselves at least once every 3-5 days. The whole conversation did make me think that Brad boasted earlier that he would just go catch some fish. We haven't see that. 

And, I started to get a whiff of people doubting the evil genius of Cirie. If she knew how to make fire better she most certainly would have won her first season. And let's not forget she convinced Erik to give up his immunity. She is a survivor goddess. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Subrookie said:

I guess Zeke was right about one thing. If he mentioned he's trans it's all anyone talks about since it seems to still be dominating this discussion. 

I'm still confused why Debbie wanted Ozzy out. Let's be honest here, anyone but maybe Debbie beats him in FTC. He's still stuck in the version of this game where people aren't showered with food all the time. I'm sure they're hungry but FFS they literally get to gorge themselves at least once every 3-5 days. The whole conversation did make me think that Brad boasted earlier that he would just go catch some fish. We haven't see that. 

And, I started to get a whiff of people doubting the evil genius of Cirie. If she knew how to make fire better she most certainly would have won her first season. And let's not forget she convinced Erik to give up his immunity. She is a survivor goddess. 

And she was the first person to successfully enact a 3-2-1 vote split.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Subrookie said:

I'm still confused why Debbie wanted Ozzy out. Let's be honest here, anyone but maybe Debbie beats him in FTC. He's still stuck in the version of this game where people aren't showered with food all the time.

If Ozzy goes  on another immunity run, as he has done in the past, then no-one else has much of a chance to win immunity and ensure their own safety for an important tribal when their head is on the chopping block, or to make sure one of their alliance's stronger members wins that immunity, so they can get so-and-so out; and if Ozzy stays around to FTC it is quite possible he would win, as appreciation for his reputation and just making it there again, or as a protest vote if he's up against another knob.

I think getting him out now was as valid if not more so a move as the moves to get out Caleb now (aka prematurely), get Malcolm out now (whyyy?), get JT out now, get Sandra out now; strong threats must go asap, etc. But Debbie made it, and so it's a dumb move, I guess.

• Love 9

I don't think it's a dumb move, no matter who makes it. After watching his past 3 seasons, it's really kind of Survivor 101 - Keep Ozzy around to win tribe challenges but boot him asap after the merge.

Last week I said I was running out of people to root for but that's because I forgot about the awesomeness that is Cirie. We've seen so little of her, I sort of forgot all about her. I can't believe she went all the way to the merge without going to TC.

• Love 7

The thing I had a hardest time with was Sierra, Brad, and some others making Michaela out to be the shiftiest, shadiest, most difficult contestant this season, but being perfectly fine with the presence of 12-gallons-of-crazy-in-a-2-gallon-bucket Debbie. I'm glad Cirie gave Michaela a pep talk and I'm glad Michaela was able to use it to grow.

• Love 10
On Thu Apr 20 2017 at 1:44 PM, JudyObscure said:

Okay, with apologies to our tolerant moderator, I'll also say one last thing. (1) I rarely know the color of fellow posters on the internet, and (2) even if I did know that, say, " Fishcakes," was a person of color, I would not think that meant she spoke for everyone in the world with similar pigment. 

Which is precisely why I chose the name I post under lol

6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Last week I said I was running out of people to root for but that's because I forgot about the awesomeness that is Cirie. We've seen so little of her, I sort of forgot all about her. I can't believe she went all the way to the merge without going to TC.

And as Probst pretty much said, she was the only one to accomplish that this season.  Let's not forget about that.;)

• Love 1

Editing seems result oriented I think and it sure makes sense. Brad was edited in a terrible way last season while now he is the hero with the big heart, his ability to forgive, his great social game etc. Sierra on the other hand is shown as the unlikeable villain on this episode while Brad is nowhere to be found. In my opinion this happens because Brad is the winner among a final three with Sierra and someone else and his win should be justified. If most people see Sierra as the bad sheriff they won't vote for her to win. Brad is the winner in my opinion, that's why he gets the hero edit and the "wwmd" crap.

• Love 2
On 4/20/2017 at 10:21 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I am probably Michaela's biggest fan and do not like Sierra at all, but it is not clear there was anything racial about what she said.  

I agree. I wasn't talking about Sierra specifically. I think JT's comments about Michaela were probably racial, but with Sierra, I only think they're personal rather than game-related, but I don't know why. If I had to guess though, I would echo what someone else suggested upthread, that Sierra feels like Michaela is usurping her position this season, not as a player, but as a character. Sierra wants to be the young, fearless, physical, strategic woman who everyone considers a threat this season, but then here comes Michaela, who's exactly that player and in fact got voted out her season for just those reasons, whereas Sierra was such a non-threat in her season, she was carried to nearly the end. I'm just speculating because I don't know how much Zeke might have told Sierra about Michaela's first season aside from her being a challenge threat, but it does remind me of Shii Ann's somewhat inexplicable hatred for Jerri in All Stars, which I always attributed to Shii Ann, who claimed to be a she-devil but was really milquetoast, coming face-to-face with Jerri, who was more of a she-devil than Shii Ann could even think of being.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

As far as the presence of racial coding and dog whistles in some of the language used, I can't figure out if "shady" is a word with a racial component of some kind, or if I just am reminded too much of "shiftless," which definitely has a racist past. 

13 hours ago, Vyk said:

And as Probst pretty much said, she was the only one to accomplish that this season.  Let's not forget about that.;)

Not wanting to rain on your parade - but unless one contends Cirie was the sole challenge monster who carried all her resident Tribes through the pre-merge ICs so she/they didn't have to go to TC, I fail to see the actual game relevance. 

Cirie's never-attending-TC-before-merge stat was more interesting trivia than individual accomplishment. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, himela said:

Editing seems result oriented I think and it sure makes sense. Brad was edited in a terrible way last season while now he is the hero with the big heart, his ability to forgive, his great social game etc. Sierra on the other hand is shown as the unlikeable villain on this episode while Brad is nowhere to be found. In my opinion this happens because Brad is the winner among a final three with Sierra and someone else and his win should be justified. If most people see Sierra as the bad sheriff they won't vote for her to win. Brad is the winner in my opinion, that's why he gets the hero edit and the "wwmd" crap.

I sort of agree with this. The edit made it "obvious" to me that Brad wins because of the airtime, storyline & WWMD. Then they threw in his alliance member Sierra and start giving her more airtime (legacy advantage helped, too) and, it gave me the feeling they end up in the Final 2. Now, the edit didn't show Brad at all last week but it was all Sierra. I still think Brad wins and no one gives Sierra any credit. Of course, the jury is so big and could possibly be a jury of 10 (even number) and a Final 3. I'm not sure who the 3rd person is. Troyzan? Andrea? Cirie? Maybe, they could be the spoiler. All in all, I think Brad wins merely by the edit. He goes from worst to first. I think they are still recovering from Michelle's non edit & win. People hated them for that. LOL!!!!

• Love 3
On 4/22/2017 at 7:07 AM, truthaboutluv said:

The short answer is that Varner guessed Zeke was transgender. He didn't know for certain but strongly suspected it. 

Which makes Varner way more of a Douche bag than if Zeke did share that info with him....

• Love 1

So whats going on here? They are just BFFs though? I think the photo is fake, but Brett and Sunday kinda seem to be close :). I wanna know if Zeke likes boys or girls though!!!! Its killing me. 

zeke.PNG

3 minutes ago, whiitter said:

So whats going on here? They are just BFFs though? I think the photo is fake, but Brett and Sunday kinda seem to be close :). I wanna know if Zeke likes boys or girls though!!!! Its killing me. 

zeke.PNG

I'm 99.999% certain this is (a) Hannah and Zeke fucking with the social media solar system, and (b) having a helluva lotta fun doing it.  :D

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Nashville said:

I'm 99.999% certain this is (a) Hannah and Zeke fucking with the social media solar system, and (b) having a helluva lotta fun doing it.  :D

yeah me too. lol i want Tai and Zeke to fuck nowwwwwwwww, or something

• Love 1
Just now, wings707 said:

I though Zeke came out as gay.  Anyone else remember that? 

yeah but if he is transgender he may identify as a different gender, meaning i am not sure if he changed to be a boy or a girl. i am sorry, i am not great with the terminology... but if we was a girl before and identified as gay, then he may be attracted to women, vice versa...

1 minute ago, whiitter said:

yeah but if he is transgender he may identify as a different gender, meaning i am not sure if he changed to be a boy or a girl. i am sorry, i am not great with the terminology... but if we was a girl before and identified as gay, then he may be attracted to women, vice versa...

But doesn't "gay man" mean a man who is attracted to men? ..... A man who is attracted to women is just straight, or? .... (I'm losing it)

8 minutes ago, himela said:

But doesn't "gay man" mean a man who is attracted to men? ..... A man who is attracted to women is just straight, or? .... (I'm losing it)

Yeah I just want to know if he was a woman first and then became a gay man, or if he was a gay man first and becoming a woman. I forgot the part where he said he was gay. Haha but idk maybe he just said that because he looks like a stereotypical gay man. IDK though, I am just so confused as well. 

17 minutes ago, whiitter said:

Sexual identity is one thing, sexual orientation is another.  Zeke was a woman who changed to a man.  If he is gay it means he is attracted to men.  I don't know if he is post op but he would have a hard time attracting a gay man if he didn't have a penis.  Then there is the issue of functionality.  A pump is used after reconstruction.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Sexual identity is one thing, sexual orientation is another.  Zeke was a woman who changed to a man.  If he is gay it means he is attracted to men.  I don't know if he is post op but he would have a hard time attracting a gay man if he didn't have a penis.  Then there is the issue of functionality.  A pump is used after reconstruction.  

Penis is pretty important to some haha

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

he would have a hard time attracting a gay man if he didn't have a penis

Not necessarily.  What people like to do sexually (and what they consider sex) is both very personal and often very mutable.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
Just now, ratgirlagogo said:

Not necessarily.  What people like to do sexually and what they consider sex is both very personal and often very mutable.

Well of course.  I am speaking generally. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Not necessarily.  What people like to do sexually (and what they consider sex) is both very personal and often very mutable.

it varies a lot from person to person.. I used to know a gal who got married to a girl but changed to a man. It is just rough on some relationships, because the woman she married was attracted to the woman she loves, but she is now a man feeling more comfortable with himself. Even though he has always liked vagina. 

like are you always a gay man, or do you become straight after you change your gender to the opposite of who you like? 

If it's a joke I don't  understand why Zeke would do this after all the drama and humiliation he went through last week. I mean, isn't it better to let people forget it rather than creating new drama and discussions?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, himela said:

If it's a joke I don't  understand why Zeke would do this after all the drama and humiliation he went through last week. I mean, isn't it better to let people forget it rather than creating new drama and discussions?

And, then post it. It sort of dilutes the outrage and reveal of him being transgender. Now, they think it's time to have fun about. Personally, I'm confused. That said, I think it's staged because of the expression on Sunday & Bret's face like they are the proud parents. Now, that I think about the picture it's pretty funny & harmless. Am I allowed to change my mind mid post? LOL!!!

58 minutes ago, LanceM said:

That picture of Zeke and Hannah is old. It was posted after the finale of season 33 when most of the cast went out to Vegas for the weekend.

oh i didn't know it was old. i am not really the type to read gossip about survivor players online, but i do from time to time (like today) and thats when I posted that picture.  I do, however, know quite a bit about the actual television show more so if pictures are old or not.