Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Matchmaking Special / S05.E02: Wedding Prep; Weddings

• Start Topic

I can't believe they matched Nate and Sheila bc of "religion". It was clear from the little we saw that religion is emotional for her, has spiritual significance and gives her purpose. For him it is a holier than thou, power thing; "I go to church every Sun" (checking that 'better than you holiday church goers' box) and "my wife will be my queen" (i.e., I know I'll come off like an asshat if I say I'm the king in this relationship so this is my sneaky way of getting it out there).  Nate is very Me, Me, Me and I hope Sheila is emotionally strong enough to take care of herself. 

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Am I the only one to notice all the drinking going on from the visit to the homes to tell them they have been matched to the wedding dress shopping to the stripper party bus to the hard booze at the reception?

Even Pastor Calvin was tippling hard.

I have decided it is mandatory to drink a lot on reality shows.  Teetotalers not allowed.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Not to be TMI, but my husband and I did not have relations before we got married.  We have had an amazing love life and have been married almost 12 years.  However, to each their own.  Sexual compatibility is important in a relationship, but these couples have just met as opposed to dating for months or even weeks.

Also, where I grew up a lot of guys had really stupid/backwards attitudes towards sex (thank God, my husband was not like that).  They thought that if a girl slept with you too fast, that made her a slut.  I always thought if the girl is a slut, then so are you...it was a ridiculous double standard.

The post was that if you didn't have the foundation of a relationship before sex, then, you probably won't have a relationship after. You are proving the original poster's point. 

• Love 2

sooooo late on this, but my first impressions on each couple

Ashley and Anthony: super suprised that Ashley instantly liked him so much. I don't expect it because in my eyes, he's about a 5 and she's an 8. I was afraid we'd have a rocky start, but i like them both

Nate and Sheila: Disaster. This is Tres and Vanessa part two. A really sweet girl wanting to find the love of her life, and a dude who considers himself a "player" and even though he claims he wants a wife, there are red flags.

Cody and Danielle: I've got nothing. they don't really stand out at the moment

• Love 4

Yesss...

A full 3 hour and 15 minute block of fresh M@FS on my Lifetime tonite so check your DVR settings....

Will the David/Vanessa Retread show get their own forum?

Edited by humbleopinion
more nonsense
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Hey HEY Hey!

Watch the first episode of "Second Chances With David and Vanessa" following tonight's new MAFS! 

Thursdays. Sweeeeet. (Now if we could only have a follow-up show with those  crazy "Arranged" Roma kids!)

Please no to them EVER getting their own show....I can't stand how they were and acted. They were obviously out to try to get a show of their own and from what I saw some place else had been pushing all the posts in SM that said they should. No thanks. That is all I will say to that since its not the forum for it. LOL

6 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

Let's take bets on who's going to do the deed first. My money's on Sheila and Nate.

She comes off desperate enough for it to happen quick with all her "never had an orgasm" talk. *rollseyes*

On 4/22/2017 at 4:36 PM, okerry said:

People do have sex with strangers all the time - but hardly ever stay with them. That's the point. They're marrying STRANGERS, as the Show keeps reminding us. Some things should be given a little time. Yes, they are legally married, but if they treat it like it's a drunken hookup, that's all it will be and it won't last. Ask Monet and a few of the others.

The marriage is a legal technicality at this point. The head knows they're married, but the heart doesn't. They have to wait for the heart to catch up if they want it to last.

I have to agree with the the no sex BS if you're willing to get married to someone you don't know. I do think that most of the time, the ones who make the partner wait are the ones who aren't attracted to the other person. From past seasons and what I remember, when they're attracted they delve right into it.

What gets me aggravated is when the girl is absolutely shocked that they're not attracted to the guy. Like you signed up for a show where you know there's a big chance you won't be attracted, so why be such a bitch the entire season? you chose this!

On 4/21/2017 at 10:07 AM, brilliantbreakfast said:

I am starting to wonder about whether these fakaility shows deliberately play into racial stereotypes and in thise case, set up the black couples to fail. It just seems that they do a spectacularly lousy job with black couples...and how about setting up an interracial one for once? Sheila and Nate are such an obvious mismatch that I don't see how that happened. These white people who match them up seem to have focused on a whitesplaining view of "Oh, they're both religious, they must both go to a church like the one James Brown was pastor for in 'Blues Brothers 2000'" -- to the exclusion of all other considerations.

I was glad to see Ashley give Anthony a chance. I thought he was kind of "Meh" at first but he does have a really nice smile and personality-wise, he reminded me of the kid who married Saiorse Ronan in "Brooklyn". I tend to be kind of shallow about looks myself, especially reprehensible since I am no great beauty (fortunately I am 62 and too old to care anymore; I was married to a very handsome and good guy until he died). So given how pretty she is, I was happy she wa sat least able to fall for his perfect teeth.

Cody seems like a real gentleman -- and savvy enough to know that in this situation, courting the mother is as important as courting the bride. Or he's a charming sociopath. ;-)

I liked Danielle's headband. It was very pre-Raphaelite and reminiscent of the early 70s, when brides married in Gunne Sax dresses.

Sheila's dress was gorgeous. She has a Halle Berry thing going on. But I would rather be single forever than have to deal with a monther like his. HER mother was fabulous, though. That hair...that dress! Gorgeous.

Anthony is probably better looking in person. He's not an ogre. He's just a regular, pleasant looking guy. I liked how Ashley immediately zeroed in on positives "he has a nice smile, he has kind eyes".

I liked Danielle's headband too. I'm also 62, and owned many Gunnesax dresses once upon a time. Cody seems like a sweet guy, as well as someone who can make things happen for himself--proactive and focused. Good for him for losing weight and discovering his path in life. I like his sense of humor too.

Nate and Sheila are disaster in the making. She's going to give it her all and be left a sobbing heap. She's an ambitious, well educated and dynamic woman. He's a smarmy bratty self centered jerk. And I heartily second your assessment of his mother. Ever wonder what happens to all those young women on reality shows who says things like "I'm not here to make friends!" or "if I don't like you I will say so to your face! I'm not fake!"? They grow up to be women like Nate's attention hogging, histrionic, judgmental mother. Good luck Sheila.

• Love 4

I think Anthony is cute the way he is.  I am not fan of tans.

I do not have much of a read on the couples yet.  I do not find any of them off putting.  Sheila's meltdown was a wee bit over the top (considering it is a preview) unless he was confessing to something awful.  Like not being able to get it up.  Heh...

Don't want to see Ashley's sister again.  Or Nate's mother.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I have to agree with the the no sex BS if you're willing to get married to someone you don't know. I do think that most of the time, the ones who make the partner wait are the ones who aren't attracted to the other person. From past seasons and what I remember, when they're attracted they delve right into it.

What gets me aggravated is when the girl is absolutely shocked that they're not attracted to the guy. Like you signed up for a show where you know there's a big chance you won't be attracted, so why be such a bitch the entire season? you chose this!

But how many of those that jumped right to the sex that first night lasted? I don't think waiting a night or more means they aren't attracted to the person. 

I do think its stupid when any of them act shocked over attractiveness. This season though has been one of the few we haven't seen that happen though. So that was nice. 

• Love 2

Anthony's  bed head is a headful of luxurious fat dark curls so to tame it for work, he keeps it long and goops it down with pomade to straighten it flat against his noggin.

Ashley can help him find a better hair style, maybe cut back on the hair product a bit.

The flashlight and initial A charm necklace is an thoughtful, meaningful gift but still not equal to 2 football tickets.

Scorecard:

Ashley and Anthony equally into each other.

Nate more into Sheila.

Sheila may be coiling away from him because she is shy in front of the camera crew and producers...we will see.

Cody into Danielle more.

Danielle is beginning to hear silent alarms of this is doomed...you can see it in her eyes.

• Love 1

You are right about misplacing the post, my apologies.

Will be more careful with my nonsense.....

Did anyone else catch Danielle wearing black shoes with her wedding dress before she switched to white flip flops?

Did I hallucinate the black sandals under her dress?

Edited by humbleopinion
Wandering around the forum untethered
  • Love 2

Looks wise , I think Ashley and Anthony are on the same level . 

This is the first season I don't find any of the people unattractive . None of them are knock outs but none are yikes worthy . 

Does anyone else think Danielle looks a lot like Sam from a couple seasons ago ? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Looks wise , I think Ashley and Anthony are on the same level . 

This is the first season I don't find any of the people unattractive . None of them are knock outs but none are yikes worthy . 

Does anyone else think Danielle looks a lot like Sam from a couple seasons ago ? 

Danielle is also giving off some Sam crazy vibes as well. No offense to those that may do their hair this way but I seriously hate the way she has her hair with the chunks of blonde in it. Its like thick chunks of blonde like the "ombre" style but it didn't look full on through and it doesn't fade like that would. It just doesn't look nice at all IMO. 

Agree that Ashley and Anthony see on the same level looks wise. They instantly took to each other as well which was good. 

• Love 1

Danielle could probably soften her look with less or softer bangs, some decent highlights, & a good brow wax. She could also use some help with makeup application, from what I've seen so far.

I'm not getting crazy Sam vibes, but I don't think she's too crazy about being matched with Cody, probably because of the age difference. I wouldn't blame her on that one. I'd also hate to be feeling stuck in a situation when it's becoming clear to me it won't be what I want, but then they sign up for this so they have to deal with it one way or another.

But I agree no one is unattractive; it just depends on individual preference though.

Edited by gonecrackers
On 4/23/2017 at 9:25 PM, red. said:

My shallow surface level snark after the wedding episode & seeing the previews for the season -

Rachel the sex expert - in a few clips I was convinced a 7 year old applied her blush - her entire face was pink/purple. Dr Peppers facelift looks good. At least we don't have to see Cilona anymore.

Ashley - Was convinced she was going to be Jamie 2.0 running from Anthony and crying in the corner but was pleasantly surprised when it looked like she was having a good time. I thought she was way more attractive than her match but my s/o seemed to think they were on an equal level. 

Cody - weird that he and his brother both decided to try out for this.. like they're desperately trying to escape their crappy bumpkin life. He's a former fat kid so there may be some internal insecurity there. I feel like he will be Way more into her than she will be into him. Also doesn't he live more in the country? I don't see him being compatible with a yogi.

Danielle - the tiniest person I think I've seen. I feel like she will be the female equivalent of basement mouthbreather Ryan from season 2 - just not too into Cody. 

Nathan - just no. Seems way too immature. He was licking his lips and sizing up Sheila and saying "my queen" and "my empire" way too many times.

Sheila - Sure, just go on national tv and tell everyone you haven't had an orgasm. Doesn't she work in a school system? She's gonna get pissed off at Nate in .2 seconds.

oh and Anthony.. I guess he wasn't really memorable enough to talk about.

My Queen is a term used in the African American culture. Even women refer to each other as "Queen". Also, at this point I see Nate as cute, cool and fun. His mom may be producer material or she could be sincere. No criticism, though. We shall see.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, seasick said:

The whole "my queen" and "my kingdom' thing is so cheesy (Nate)  he comes off as bullshit.

Any girl whose boyfriend/husband refers to her as "my queen" and talks about "putting her on a pedestal" should run like a bat out of hell. He's not looking at her as a real person, he's creating an impossible ideal and when she inevitably fails to live up to that ideal, he will blame her for it with a vengeance.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Any girl whose boyfriend/husband refers to her as "my queen" and talks about "putting her on a pedestal" should run like a bat out of hell. He's not looking at her as a real person, he's creating an impossible ideal and when she inevitably fails to live up to that ideal, he will blame her for it with a vengeance.

Normally, yes.  But it is normal for their culture.  

(edited)

Kudos for showing us some cultural flavor on M@FS this season from Sheila/Nate's "queen" references to seeing how to diplomatically mesh 2 large Italian families of strong personalities.

Other than Basement Ryan living with his mom and niece, Lily and her sister/bridesmaid drama, family hasn't been a factor in the marriages.

Doggies have had more prominent roles on M@FS.

Edited by humbleopinion
clarity
  • Love 3

OMG, just discovered this podcast, it's hilarious. I LOVE the Danish version of Married at first sight (which is the original, not Dutch or Swedish), or rather I love discussing it with other people on facebook. I can't watch the American version anywhere, but the podcast is enough :-) BTW the original format is a lot less crazy. And the marriages are definitely legit here, even if they're not in the American format.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2017 at 10:37 AM, Jellybeans said:

I think Anthony is cute the way he is.  I am not fan of tans.

I do not have much of a read on the couples yet.  I do not find any of them off putting.  Sheila's meltdown was a wee bit over the top (considering it is a preview) unless he was confessing to something awful.  Like not being able to get it up.  Heh...

Don't want to see Ashley's sister again.  Or Nate's mother.  

Anthony reminds me a lot of How To Get Away With Murder's Matt McGorry:   https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2791093/?ref_=tt_cl_t5