Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Matchmaking Special / S05.E02: Wedding Prep; Weddings

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, okerry said:

Actually, just from what we've seen on teevee, Ashley & Cody and Danielle & Anthony might have worked better. 

I think Ashley was matched with Anthony because she wanted "to have kids yesterday" and since Cody is 4 years younger, he might not want to start a family so soon. Danielle & Cody are both into health, baseball and the outdoors and we don't know if Anthony is into those things.

9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

People, people, people! Am I the only one of Italian heritage herein?!

The Wedding Tradition of 5 Almonds:

"ITALIAN WEDDINGS--- Five almonds signify five wishes for the bride and groom: health, wealth, happiness, fertility, and longevity. These almonds decorate each place setting as favors, tucked into pretty boxes or tulle bags called *bomboniere* that are often personalized with the couple's names and wedding date."

http://www.candywarehouse.com/resources/the-wedding-story-of-jordan-almonds/

I never knew that was an Italian tradition. Actually, I had no idea where it came from but I did the almond favors as did many others in my family. We're not Italian so it's interesting & cool to see how people just adopt traditions from all over the world. 

I thought it was a sweet & appropriate gift and I would have loved it. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I am happy this disaster of a show is back.

I just can't with the experts and all the repetitive clips, so I skipped to the weddings episode, fast-forwarded to the moment the groom saw the family of his bride, and then watched from there on out.

I think Anthony has enough physical traits in his favor (height/good teeth) that if she finds his personality attractive, she could become physically attracted to him.  She seemed to be happy about him so far.

I don't know why this show uses guys in their mid-20's.  I wonder why they can't get guys a bit older?

9 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I am happy this disaster of a show is back.

I just can't with the experts and all the repetitive clips, so I skipped to the weddings episode, fast-forwarded to the moment the groom saw the family of his bride, and then watched from there on out.

I think Anthony has enough physical traits in his favor (height/good teeth) that if she finds his personality attractive, she could become physically attracted to him.  She seemed to be happy about him so far.

I don't know why this show uses guys in their mid-20's.  I wonder why they can't get guys a bit older?

I'm glad this is back, too. Partly because I'm hoping to see a cute love story one of these days, and also because I still find the concept interesting and I love the commentary here. 

And yea, I have no idea why they are using such young guys on this show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the average age seem to get younger with each season? 

I find Anthony to be nice-looking - not gorgeous, but more than just OK. I think it could be his smile and friendly demeanor plus I just  think he's got a nice face. I think his new bride is probably what some would consider to be more traditionally beautiful but like you said, it seems like she's seeing what we see and she's attracted (or will be) to that. 

8 hours ago, roseslg said:

I think the age difference could work if it's the right people/right time.  Maybe if the guy was 30 and the girl 35 or so.   I must be blind, but I didn't think that Ashley or Danielle was too out of their respective spouses leagues.  They seemed evenly match.   Nate's head just seemed sorta round and his face makes me go bleh, maybe because I am getting such strong poser vibes from him and that's one thing I can't stand.   He seems to be the most into himself.  It's way too early to make a #freesheila hash tag, but I'd be down for it.  

Nate makes me go bleh, period. I get a bad vibe from him. He seems immature. I wonder if they selected him because he's got his younger brother living with him. Maybe the show read about his good works and thought that an arranged marriage on reality TV with the surprise of the groom being the caretaker for his younger brother.

My shallow surface level snark after the wedding episode & seeing the previews for the season -

Rachel the sex expert - in a few clips I was convinced a 7 year old applied her blush - her entire face was pink/purple. Dr Peppers facelift looks good. At least we don't have to see Cilona anymore.

Ashley - Was convinced she was going to be Jamie 2.0 running from Anthony and crying in the corner but was pleasantly surprised when it looked like she was having a good time. I thought she was way more attractive than her match but my s/o seemed to think they were on an equal level. 

Cody - weird that he and his brother both decided to try out for this.. like they're desperately trying to escape their crappy bumpkin life. He's a former fat kid so there may be some internal insecurity there. I feel like he will be Way more into her than she will be into him. Also doesn't he live more in the country? I don't see him being compatible with a yogi.

Danielle - the tiniest person I think I've seen. I feel like she will be the female equivalent of basement mouthbreather Ryan from season 2 - just not too into Cody. 

Nathan - just no. Seems way too immature. He was licking his lips and sizing up Sheila and saying "my queen" and "my empire" way too many times.

Sheila - Sure, just go on national tv and tell everyone you haven't had an orgasm. Doesn't she work in a school system? She's gonna get pissed off at Nate in .2 seconds.

oh and Anthony.. I guess he wasn't really memorable enough to talk about.

Edited by red.
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"ITALIAN WEDDINGS--- Five almonds signify five wishes for the bride and groom: health, wealth, happiness, fertility, and longevity. These almonds decorate each place setting as favors, tucked into pretty boxes or tulle bags called *bomboniere* that are often personalized with the couple's names and wedding date."

Yup, I got the 5 almonds bit, I'm half Italian and made each of my wedding favors by hand 37 years ago - a heart shaped china box stuffed with a little tulle bag filled with 5 Jordan Almonds.  I do think Anthony should have put them inside something else like a small decorative jewelry box or something.  I get it that he might have intended to give her something else later but still...

14 hours ago, okerry said:

I could believe Danielle's father is Dutch, but her mother has got to be Hispanic, Greek, something. They don't look to be an even match, either, as far as looks or culture. Such things are interesting to me because I've been around some couples who were from entirely different cultures and it's usually a huge disaster. Or I'm just a shallow bitch, lol.

Could it be because I'm from NY?  I don't know, I've been witness to many cross cultural marriages that have worked out fine going back a few generations, including my parents (Italian mom/Yankee, French, German and Jew dad), one set of grandparents (Yankee/Jew) and several ancestors including great grandparents (French/Yankee), and 2nd great grandparents (German/Yankee), etc.  Plus even 50 years ago I grew up with a lot of kids whose parents were racial, ethnic and religious mixes and it was actually not a big deal (despite what "West Side Story" had to say).   I realize my experience may not be completely typical, though.  So of course coming from that kind of background I don't automatically think a marriage is going to be a disaster on that basis.  Besides, if Danielle's parents successfully married outside their cultures they are probably only more accepting of people from other backgrounds, not less.  I would hope that one of the questions the participants are asked is how open to other cultures they are and I would presume Cody would have been honest about being open to someone from a slightly different background.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

And yea, I have no idea why they are using such young guys on this show. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the average age seem to get younger with each season?

Yes, it does!  Maybe the older guys that are still single are mostly single for a reason like some of the winners we've already seen in seasons past.  Derek comes to mind.  I very much doubt that smoking whatever he smoked was his only issue.  He seemed to have a lot of baggage too.  Maybe the "experts" are learning to weed out those guys and so the only ones left are the young ones.

Or maybe it's that the men seem younger when in fact they're not that much younger, just more immature!

There are two issues here for me - One is that the guys this season are bordering on too young for guys.  It's well known that men mature and become ready for marriage later than women, and it's arguable as to how mature young men are today compared to generations before them.  I am of the opinion that the average 25 year old man today is probably equivalent to a 20 or 21 year old of 40 years ago in that regard.  Given that I was close to that age myself 40 years ago I'd have to say that's based on as much personal experience as anything else.  My husband was about 21 years old 40 years ago and man, he was LIGHT YEARS ahead of these guys!  Plus he watches the show with me and is always commenting about their immaturity.  It really irks him!

The second issue is that the too-young men this season are matched with older women, who would be already more mature and ready for marriage than the men even if they were paired with a guy the same age let alone with a guy that much younger.  In their age bracket the woman being 4 or 5 years older is HUGE!  In a few years a man 5 years younger wouldn't mean a thing, but at their age it's monumental, and not in a good way!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Gobears said:

On Twitter, Danielle said that she's 50% Italian so I'm guessing her mom is Italian.

I was leaning toward Italian just based on her appearance and being half Italian myself.  I don't see much reason to worry about any cultural clash going on based on ethnic background between Danielle and Cody.  Obviously Danielle's parents are open to other cultures so she is probably similar. 

Regarding Dieticians and pizza - I've known several in recent months on a diet plan I follow plus at my physical therapy and the common diet wisdom of the moment they're spouting pretty much makes anything made from white flour into the enemy to be avoided at all costs.  I'd actually find it refreshing if Danielle were a more "everything in moderation" sort.  Then again, now knowing she's half Italian American might actually help to explain it - We are loathe to give up our pasta if we grew up with it, so right off the bat there's a resistance to giving up starches right there!

Speaking of whether Danielle might have been better matched with Anthony, I actually don't think so.  I can see that they attempted to match the women with a man that was closer to their own father's heritage, which I feel might actually work better for some people.  And it may not have been by accident either!  My mother was Italian and my father a mix of things but mainly WASP, and somehow I never found myself interested in Italian men - I probably was looking for a guy "just like the guy that married dear old mom", so I ended up with a WASP, since my father was actually raised in that culture and it would not have felt "normal" for me to be with a guy from my mother's culture.  Maybe the experts realized that these two women were like this and matched them accordingly.  I was noticing on this episode how two women's fathers actually resembled the men they matched them with - Danielle's father resembles Cody and his Dad a bit, plus Anthony resembles Ashley's father somewhat.  Or maybe it was just me!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Re: the almonds, I am a sentimental fool.  I would rather get five almonds than diamond earrings or ... from a stranger I was marrying.  

The almonds and story tell you more about Anthony than a traditional gift would.  I thought it was sweet.

Loved Danielle's headband.  

Me too, and I thought he said he had something else for her as well? His reaction to the football tickets was pretty cute though.

• Love 2

Does anyone know of any decent textual recaps out there? I catch up on reality tv news while lying nex to my napping one-year old or after midnight, reading in the dark next to my sleeping husband. Excited (and horrified) that MAFS is back, but miss Tara's written recaps. 

• Love 3

I love Sheila's super cute dresses!

As much as Danielle wants to pass herself off as a rough and tumble tomboy, I'm getting high-maintenance, snooty vibes from her. Okay, some of it's the bangs, but still. She looks every bit of 30 and then some.

@CarrieNation, the recaps at In Touch make liberal use of screencaps and snark.

• Love 7

I was happy that none of these grooms asked if they could kiss the bride, they just went for it when someone said "You may now kiss the bride." 

Because nothing says "I'm the man you've been looking for and I'm here" like "Umm, err, could I like maybe get a cheek? Would that be cool?"

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Because nothing says "I'm the man you've been looking for and I'm here" like "Umm, err, could I like maybe get a cheek? Would that be cool?"

Yes. They all seemed more relaxed and open minded this season. I never understood all the histrionics over a kiss. You may not be immediately attracted, but one kiss is not gonna kill you. Just be gracious, find something you like about him, and make the best of the day. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I'm glad this is back, too. Partly because I'm hoping to see a cute love story one of these days, and also because I still find the concept interesting and I love the commentary here. 

I find Anthony to be nice-looking - not gorgeous, but more than just OK. I think it could be his smile and friendly demeanor plus I just  think he's got a nice face. I think his new bride is probably what some would consider to be more traditionally beautiful but like you said, it seems like she's seeing what we see and she's attracted (or will be) to that. 

Nate makes me go bleh, period. I get a bad vibe from him. He seems immature. I wonder if they selected him because he's got his younger brother living with him. Maybe the show read about his good works and thought that an arranged marriage on reality TV with the surprise of the groom being the caretaker for his younger brother.

I think most older guys are already married, and some are either divorced or in the midst of getting divorced and don't want to get involved again yet out of FEAR.  They want to be free for awhile, or maybe forever.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

I never understood all the histrionics over a kiss. You may not be immediately attracted, but one kiss is not gonna kill you

Yes & it's not like it's a first date, they just got married.

9 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I think most older guys are already married, and some are either divorced or in the midst of getting divorced and don't want to get involved again yet out of FEAR.  They want to be free for awhile, or maybe forever.

That & probably too much personal baggage, possible kids etc. I would think the same for women who are a bit older as well. Everyone has been early 30's the most so far; anyone older would be bringing more 'past' with them. I wouldn't mind a specific MAFS like that, for older ones - I don't know if those folks would take a chance like this though.

Edited by gonecrackers
too many thoughs
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

As much as Danielle wants to pass herself off as a rough and tumble tomboy, I'm getting high-maintenance, snooty vibes from her. Okay, some of it's the bangs, but still. She looks every bit of 30 and then some.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I can see that they attempted to match the women with a man that was closer to their own father's heritage, which I feel might actually work better for some people.  And it may not have been by accident either!  My mother was Italian and my father a mix of things but mainly WASP, and somehow I never found myself interested in Italian men - I probably was looking for a guy "just like the guy that married dear old mom", so I ended up with a WASP, since my father was actually raised in that culture and it would not have felt "normal" for me to be with a guy from my mother's culture.  Maybe the experts realized that these two women were like this and matched them accordingly.  I was noticing on this episode how two women's fathers actually resembled the men they matched them with - Danielle's father resembles Cody and his Dad a bit, plus Anthony resembles Ashley's father somewhat.  Or maybe it was just me!

Oh, very interesting . . . hadn't thought of that, but you may be on to something. Would certainly explain my own preferences, lol. Will have to do more unofficial research.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

http://www.candywarehouse.com/resources/the-wedding-story-of-jordan-almonds/

I'm Italian. We have almonds at every ceremony, not just weddings, but also Baptims, Holy communions and so on. The couple who gets married has to give almonds and bomboniere to guests as a gift. I know it's a tradition but I never knew there was a meaning behind it.

Edited by Mary10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

I went on the website and had a difficult time reading because the print on the photos disappeared quickly and were replaced with pop up advertising. The type that has that mini ex to get rid of it but you need a three year olds finger size to do it without activating the ad.  I do appreciate that you did take the time to give us the clickable link. It's the website I dislike...not you for sharing it. 

Quick observations. Loved Sheilas dress. She is beautiful. Ashley is gorgeous and way more attractive than her groom. I was kind of grossed out by his behavior at the bachelor party. He didnt put much thought into her gift. Also he seems very immature. I don't see that working out

Danielle looks way older than 30. I'd of guessed 45. Maybe it's the bangs.  Cody is too young for her. He's also much more attractive than her. I think they should have paired Cody and Ashley. Both run businesses and are similar I  attractiveness. Cody also seems nicer and more self aware than Anthony. This show is a joke. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

No one with kids should be considered for this - being childless should be a requirement, in my opinion. If I were the other custodial parent and my ex/co-parent was talking about doing this, I'd shut it down immediately. Dating is one thing, you can and should gradually introduce people to your kids, but "Meet your new stepparent! I just did!" is fucked up. Wasn't there one season that ended in a restraining order? Can you imagine if there had been kids involved?

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Speaking of whether Danielle might have been better matched with Anthony, I actually don't think so.  I can see that they attempted to match the women with a man that was closer to their own father's heritage, which I feel might actually work better for some people.  And it may not have been by accident either!  My mother was Italian and my father a mix of things but mainly WASP, and somehow I never found myself interested in Italian men - I probably was looking for a guy "just like the guy that married dear old mom", so I ended up with a WASP, since my father was actually raised in that culture and it would not have felt "normal" for me to be with a guy from my mother's culture.  Maybe the experts realized that these two women were like this and matched them accordingly.  I was noticing on this episode how two women's fathers actually resembled the men they matched them with - Danielle's father resembles Cody and his Dad a bit, plus Anthony resembles Ashley's father somewhat.  Or maybe it was just me!

I married someone far from being like my dad. The only thing in common ancestor wise is that we both have ones from Poland and Germany. Otherwise my husband is more Norwegian like (or Viking) than anything and looks it. He is 6 ft and my dad is like 5'7-8 maybe. Husband had blonde hair and is blue eyed. Dad is darker features. There is nothing about them that is the same at all personality wise either. I so didn't want anyone that was like my parents. LOL I never wanted to be like my mom that is for sure. Hell, I'd want someone to smack me if I ever started acting like her. I do get what you are saying though because there are those that do seek out someone similar to a parent for their partner. As for Cody and Danielle's dad....I don't think there was to much resemblance there but they got along well...unlike what the show was trying to make it out to be. Now with Ashley's that is a bit different. I can see it there more so. I think she wanted the kind of guy like that for sure. She seems attracted and happy with Anthony so far. They seem to be matched the best from what we have seen so far. Obviously I could be wrong since things do come out during the season and the "experts" start up with their stupid reasons for matching. I hope they didn't just match them because of being Italian and wanting kids though. 

40 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

No one with kids should be considered for this - being childless should be a requirement, in my opinion. If I were the other custodial parent and my ex/co-parent was talking about doing this, I'd shut it down immediately. Dating is one thing, you can and should gradually introduce people to your kids, but "Meet your new stepparent! I just did!" is fucked up. Wasn't there one season that ended in a restraining order? Can you imagine if there had been kids involved?

Agree with this. Even those in their mid 20s could have kids and if so should be shut down for doing this show. Age doesn't matter but if they have kids that should be a no no for doing this. I hope that is the case because it would be messed up to do that. I can't imagine either who would be ok with that happening in their kids lives. 

• Love 2

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing an older couple on this show. 

Those of us with a little life experience may approach the process differently and expect different things.

The requirements that were so important in my 20's wouldn't even make the list today. I would find it interesting to see the difference in how older people react, which things they are willing to overlook, and what sparks the drama.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

Those of us with a little life experience may approach the process differently and expect different things.

The requirements that were so important in my 20's wouldn't even make the list today. I would find it interesting to see the difference in how older people react, which things they are willing to overlook, and what sparks the drama.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  They should have a show with older couples .. Singles, divorced, with kids, without kids.  That would be a blast or a disaster.  Funny.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

They're already casting for season 6 in Boston and one of the requirements is that the participants look like they're between 25-36. So no older couples, unless both parties can pass for much younger! But I think the oldest person they've cast over the past 5 years is 35.

Did you watch MAFS: Australia? There was an older couple in their 50s. Massive trainwreck. The woman really wanted a Polynesian man and shut down when she was matched with a white man. They were one of the first couples to break up. She was more immature than some of the women in their 20s.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Gobears said:

They're already casting for season 6 in Boston and one of the requirements is that the participants look like they're between 25-36. So no older couples, unless both parties can pass for much younger! But I think the oldest person they've cast over the past 5 years is 35.

Did you watch MAFS: Australia? There was an older couple in their 50s. Massive trainwreck. The woman really wanted a Polynesian man and shut down when she was matched with a white man. They were one of the first couples to break up. She was more immature than some of the women in their 20s.

Hmph, why doesn't that surprise me? 

As for the kids, I wouldn't want producers to plop a stranger in the living room and say "Here's your new mommy". But, if they can find a way to handle it without the kids getting hurt, or too attached, I'd be fine with it.

Maybe film in the summer when the kids are away at camp. Or let them visit the grandparents for a few weeks. Or even make arrangements with the ex. Heck, pack them off to Disney with some sunscreen and their cousins!

I'm sure there's a happy solution to get the kids occupied for six weeks. I don't think kids are a deal breaker. They just need to be kept clear of the drama.

21 minutes ago, Gobears said:

Well, I guess that answers that!

Edited by Hockeymom
Spelling
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Hockeymom said:

That would be another great experiment, but the screening process would also have to be tweaked. Many of the things I wanted in a husband when I got married in my 20s are different that what I want in my 40s.  In my 20s, I was focused on his career--or career ambitions, personality, spiritual beliefs, sense of humor, and yes, looks. Those things are still important, but now I'm much more concerned about 1) how does he respect me and value me as a person? 2) in terms of sense of humor, do we laugh together? 3) how important are communication and commitment to him? 4) How does he spend his free time? If he likes to be alone scratching his balls while he watches football, I don't know if that would work for me. Alone time is good, but how about we watch football together?

Now that I think about it, many of those would be hard to screen for--or our "experts" don't know how to screen for the , so it might make matches more difficult for older applicants. 

I totally agree that the marriages will be challenged by the older bride-younger groom dynamic 

• Love 1

I was thinking more in the way of olders who have kids out of the house already, or at least college age. I think any younger & yeah that could be a disaster for the kids. But yes, maturity level is everything, & emotional maturity doesn't typically match up with chronological age.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, pdlinda1 said:

onsidering Sheila's profession, it was concerning to me that she revealed TMI for the students to absorb!!  What business is it of anybody, no less children who are supposed to look up to her as an "authority figure" , to know about her sex life???  Also, with Nate portraying himself as a "stud" he'll likely use Sheila's revelation as an invitation to move right in and remedy that situation pronto!!  

Her position doesn't put her in contact with the students, but, still TMI.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Gobears said:

Sadly they seem not pick the right aged people for this or maturity level. Yet its not surprising seeing as they don't see to try to hard to make real matches most but find what could make for some drama somewhere instead. I've said it too though that and agree with you that even when older it doesn't mean one is more mature....that goes for man or woman too. There are plenty of women that are immature and in their 40s or older. Heck my friend's ex sis in law is beyond immature. She cheated on her husband 2 times and since they split she has done nothing but slutted it up with anyone she can find. Mind you they had 3 boys and they are late teens/early 20s. I can't imagine having to see that from a parent. SMH She is terrible with money as well to the point she can't explain to one where it was spent. She is the perfect example of an immature person in their early 40s. I do think that with this show though looking for someone that is mid 20s is just not the best age still. Its still young enough that they shouldn't be so bad off to turn to a show like this to look for someone. I wouldn't mind if we saw a change in the age group they look for from more around 28 to 38-40. Yet either way they should really being finding couples more towards each others age groups or at the very least REALLY making sure they are ok with an age difference and listing to what is said. We saw in the one how, I think, Rachel was asking Danielle if she was ok with a younger guy. Danielle said she might be if it was a year or 2 but not more then that. Yet she ended up with a guy more then what she was ok with because the "experts", as usual, do what they want instead of listening to those that applied. This is one of the BIGGEST issues with this show. 

• Love 1

You guyssssss.  Watching the premiere, I suddenly realized that my wedding invitations bear a striking resemblance to the MAFS logo:  https://www.zazzle.com/scottish_kilt_wedding_invitation_navy_blue-161007523628839226

(Yes, my fiancé will be wearing a kilt to our wedding.)

On 4/23/2017 at 1:56 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Now not only is the poor grammar of the participants getting to me with the constant "Me and my mom, me and my brother, me and my friends" references, but even the wedding vows themselves are not grammatically correct.  The correct answer to the the way the officiants phrased their questions should be "I will", not "I do".  OK, perhaps this is a minor nitpick to some, but not to me.  If they wanted them to answer "I do" they should have phrased the questions differently.  Oh but why should anyone care what a few old farts who had a real education think anymore?

Oh, sing it sister!!  I'm in the process of writing our ceremony, and if the question is "Do you promise to..." the answer will be "WE DO!"  If the question is "Will you [do this that or the other thing]..." the answer will be "WE WILL!!"  You can bet your ass, ayup.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

You guyssssss.  Watching the premiere, I suddenly realized that my wedding invitations bear a striking resemblance to the MAFS logo:  https://www.zazzle.com/scottish_kilt_wedding_invitation_navy_blue-161007523628839226

(Yes, my fiancé will be wearing a kilt to our wedding.)

I just want to say that someone with some Scottish ancestors that this is so cool. I just bought my daughter her first kilt in our clan colors last month too. LOL that your invites are looking that way. I hope you have a wonderful wedding!

• Love 2
On 4/24/2017 at 1:36 PM, Gem 10 said:

Yeah, that's a good idea.  They should have a show with older couples .. Singles, divorced, with kids, without kids.  That would be a blast or a disaster.  Funny.

Well, I'm an older widow, and from what I've seen, older widowers are lost puppies who are in a BIG hurry to remarry.  So an "older and widowed" edition could be interesting.  I'm guessing most of the women would be divorcees, though...because most of the widows in my age group (myself  included) are in "this is MY time" mode and don't want to remarry.

Edited by brilliantbreakfast
  • Love 6

Seems like they've upped their game in the looks department. All of the women and men are classically attractive this season, increasing the chances of physical attraction from the start. Once physical attraction is there, assuming there is sexual chemistry, the couples are more likely to stay married by the end of the season. Youll overlook a lot of red flags if there's a strong physical attraction. I think the show has found the secret to appearing legit.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

Seems like they've upped their game in the looks department. All of the women and men are classically attractive this season, increasing the chances of physical attraction from the start. Once physical attraction is there, assuming there is sexual chemistry, the couples are more likely to stay married by the end of the season. Youll overlook a lot of red flags if there's a strong physical attraction. I think the show has found the secret to appearing legit.

Couples that have been physically attracted right off the bat haven't always worked (Monet/Vaughn, Davina/Sean, Jessica/Ryan, Tres/Vanessa). The ones that had instant attraction and have lasted are Jason/Cortney and Tom/Lilly.

Looks are very subjective. IMO I don't think they've upped their game in the looks department. The only people that I consider classically attractive this season are Ashley, Cody and maybe Sheila. The men last season were more attractive.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Eh, I don't personally find Nate or Anthony physically attractive, although I will agree with you about the women, not that this counts for much because I'm a straight female, but just based on esthetics anyway!  I do think Cody is pretty good looking and he's more my type than most of the guys on this show have been.

I don't agree with you about the sexual chemistry.  Tres and Vanessa certainly had that and look where they ended up.  IMO it's not just physical chemistry, it's a certain "soul attraction" that keeps couples together, which does have a physical component but it's not just about that alone.  I saw this most clearly on this show between Tom and Lilly.  There was just a certain "somethin' somethin'" between them as people that included but went beyond physical attraction or even shared interest or personality traits.  That's the quality that the experts can't possibly turn into a "science".  No matter how many shared interests and personality traits people have in common, or even background similarities or complements that the experts can point to that make them think they would be a good match, a couple has to connect on a deep level that defies all attempts to predict.

• Love 6
On 4/20/2017 at 11:10 PM, topanga said:

Two guys on his side of the room wore baseball caps. Not to dis Nathan, but what the heck kind of country/ghetto/whatever relatives does he have in his family?????

On 4/20/2017 at 11:21 PM, roseslg said:

I was going to post earlier and say his family looked sort of ratchet, so thanks for being braver than I was ;).  

She looks like she's wondering what the hell shes gotten into.  Someone upthread mentioned his slickness and that's what I get too.  I think they are at different stages in their lives.  Also, HE LIVES WITH HIS BROTHER!!! Is he his caretaker?  The flags are red and waving.

Holy Crap...Nate's Dad was an ass.  I do not think he gives a shit about his son, he just wanted to be on tv.  He was doing everything for the camera to focus on him.  I can see why he is a failed comedian.  He'll probably come around when he needs money.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:24 AM, Lord Donia said:

They may have different fathers? Half brothers seem more likely to me, given their dissimilar features and body types. I'm sure the story will be wrenching and we'll hear all about it in detail. Not right away, though! Much like Tom's bus, Nathan's keeping that in his pocket as a nice surprise.

The pastor's emphatic statement that the experts aren't there to find supermodels made me snort. Don't expect them to match you with the type of person you've never dated in your entire trifling life.

The two age differences are yet another indication to me that the ACTUAL (as opposed to hyped) pool of applicants was not that large. Neither couple seemed pleased when they found out.

Three hours of bloat but fast-forward is my savior. Still, I was grateful we got through all the weddings this time instead of having to wait a week. It's right to the honeymoons next time, which are always my favorite episodes.

Predictions: I think all three may bone consummate their marriages right away. My early guess for long term success is Ashley and Anthony. I thought it could easily go the other way, but Ashley somehow finds him attractive and they got along well enough to start. (In case you hadn't heard, he's 100% Italian. ONE HUNDRED! And he loves to cook! Packaged spaghetti with sauce! Get back to me when he tackles sushi.)

Usually consummating your marriage on the wedding night is the kiss of death on this show.  I think at least two of the three couples that stayed married did not consummate till later.  I am sure all the couples know that and will not consummate for fear of bad ju ju.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Usually consummating your marriage on the wedding night is the kiss of death on this show.  I think at least two of the three couples that stayed married did not consummate till later.  I am sure all the couples know that and will not consummate for fear of bad ju ju.

I'm of the opinion that if you did not have a relationship before you have sex with someone, you're not going to have a relationship after you have sex with them. 

• Love 3

Tardy to the party.

Just watched the double episode....

Sheila's dad looks like the Andre Leon Talley of Vogue Magazine.

Nate looks like John Wall of the Wizards.

Nate's dad wore trucker hat to cover the soul patch on the top of his head.

Cody's brother's thought bubble when he met Danielle....She could have been mine....seriously, she could've.

How was that pixelated penis cake? Was it creamy?  Was it soft?  It looked disproportional.

Anthony and Cody's handwriting were abysmal...what happened to penmanship?

Cody's gift giving reminded me of Basement Ryan's...bad and cheap.

Never give a bracelet wrapped in a cellophane and cardboard...unless you are in middle school.

M@FS producers, fire whoever did Danielle's hair and makeup...

• Love 4
9 hours ago, okerry said:

I'm of the opinion that if you did not have a relationship before you have sex with someone, you're not going to have a relationship after you have sex with them.

Not to be TMI, but my husband and I did not have relations before we got married.  We have had an amazing love life and have been married almost 12 years.  However, to each their own.  Sexual compatibility is important in a relationship, but these couples have just met as opposed to dating for months or even weeks.

Also, where I grew up a lot of guys had really stupid/backwards attitudes towards sex (thank God, my husband was not like that).  They thought that if a girl slept with you too fast, that made her a slut.  I always thought if the girl is a slut, then so are you...it was a ridiculous double standard.

• Love 4

With this situation, I think the rules don't  apply. They are doing everything out of order, so why impose traditional guidelines on sex? They are supposed to be doing everything married couples do. I think that by not having an intimate relationship, it reinforces the idea that this is just temporary. It's not the same as dating, with all the games and nuisances. We've fast forwarded through all that. They've committed. They're married. 

Sex is part of marriage. If you're gonna do it, then jump in all the way. At least be open to the possibility. It's not morally wrong to sleep with your spouse. And the whole, but they're a stranger. Yes. They are a stranger to you, but not some random off the street. They've been thoroughly checked and vetted. I mean, if you're  just not feeling it, then of course, trust your instincts. But if you are interested enough to make it work, then why not get in there?

• Love 2

Going for sex right away would probably work for couples in *for real* arranged marriages. That works because they are truly committed to their marriages as forever. I don't believe these couples are thinking like that (exception might be Sheila). Even the ones who have worked out (so far) approached with a 'we'll see' attitude, & for good reason. It's a TV arrangement; that in itself radically reduces it's chance of success.

It would also probably help if the 'experts' would stop referring to it as an 'experiment', then only to say 'it's a real marriage'. Real marriages are NOT experiments. People don't commit to an experiment.

...and I think a lot of the men in particular are in it for some sex & TV exposure - win win for them - but that's my cynical opinion.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2017 at 0:17 AM, Gobears said:

Couples that have been physically attracted right off the bat haven't always worked (Monet/Vaughn, Davina/Sean, Jessica/Ryan, Tres/Vanessa). The ones that had instant attraction and have lasted are Jason/Cortney and Tom/Lilly.

Looks are very subjective. IMO I don't think they've upped their game in the looks department. The only people that I consider classically attractive this season are Ashley, Cody and maybe Sheila. The men last season were more attractive.

I'm not saying I'm personally attracted to them but these people seem to be the type that if your friend brought one of these people to meet you, you would say this woman/man is really cute. Even though you maybe wouldn't date them yourself or they may not be your type, you can recognize facial symmetry, body types that most people like etc. it just seems like they're playing it very safe. 

I don't think any of the guys last season were cute. The women were not the ones most men would look twice at. They were more the types that men would get to know and realize they're great and the looks do grow on you when they're awesome. So I'm not saying it's my personal opinion as far as their physical beauty but that they're trying to Hollywood it up a bit instead of choosing real people in the looks department. 

Btw I think Trey and Vanessa were both gorgeous. It didn't go well for them because Trey was a player admittedly and I thought he was in love with his "best friend." But they did choose to stay married. And that's what the show is trying to get at. What happens after that isn't necessarily what they're trying to prove. 

I believe that Vanessa and the poor woman who stayed married to that douche guy from New York. I thought those women are two that most every man would find beautiful. I can't remember all the men. Unfortunately though, Hollywood has created a standard and I think that's what they're trying to do now. Stay within parameters. Which I think is shitty. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

It would also probably help if the 'experts' would stop referring to it as an 'experiment', then only to say 'it's a real marriage'. Real marriages are NOT experiments. People don't commit to an experiment.

Absolutely.

22 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Eh, I don't personally find Nate or Anthony physically attractive, although I will agree with you about the women, not that this counts for much because I'm a straight female, but just based on esthetics anyway!  I do think Cody is pretty good looking and he's more my type than most of the guys on this show have been.

I don't agree with you about the sexual chemistry.  Tres and Vanessa certainly had that and look where they ended up.  IMO it's not just physical chemistry, it's a certain "soul attraction" that keeps couples together, which does have a physical component but it's not just about that alone.  I saw this most clearly on this show between Tom and Lilly.  There was just a certain "somethin' somethin'" between them as people that included but went beyond physical attraction or even shared interest or personality traits.  That's the quality that the experts can't possibly turn into a "science".  No matter how many shared interests and personality traits people have in common, or even background similarities or complements that the experts can point to that make them think they would be a good match, a couple has to connect on a deep level that defies all attempts to predict.

The chemistry doesn't have to last forever though. Just three months or however long they go before deciding to stay married. It seems like the show considers that a success. It's easy to keep things hot and heavy for 3 months. I'm more talking about the length of the show, so I agree with you completely about that deeper soul connection being lasting. But sexual chemistry can last a couple months and people will look over a lot of undesirable personality traits when they see a pretty face. This is why women end up settling so often in the real world.

Total agreement with you, gal.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

With this situation, I think the rules don't  apply. They are doing everything out of order, so why impose traditional guidelines on sex? They are supposed to be doing everything married couples do. I think that by not having an intimate relationship, it reinforces the idea that this is just temporary. It's not the same as dating, with all the games and nuisances. We've fast forwarded through all that. They've committed. They're married. 

Sex is part of marriage. If you're gonna do it, then jump in all the way. At least be open to the possibility. It's not morally wrong to sleep with your spouse. And the whole, but they're a stranger. Yes. They are a stranger to you, but not some random off the street. They've been thoroughly checked and vetted. I mean, if you're  just not feeling it, then of course, trust your instincts. But if you are interested enough to make it work, then why not get in there?

Because its not a typical, traditional marriage. I don't think they should just jump into sex. Not saying that through this whole time together they shouldn't do it but just not right off the bat. In this kind of a situation, they shouldn't just be having sex with the person just because its what happens in a typical relationship/marriage. They don't know each other at all yet so it doesn't hurt if they got to know each other some before the sex part came into play. 

2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Going for sex right away would probably work for couples in *for real* arranged marriages. That works because they are truly committed to their marriages as forever. I don't believe these couples are thinking like that (exception might be Sheila). Even the ones who have worked out (so far) approached with a 'we'll see' attitude, & for good reason. It's a TV arrangement; that in itself radically reduces it's chance of success.

...and I think a lot of the men in particular are in it for some sex & TV exposure - win win for them - but that's my cynical opinion.

Agree. And sadly the "experts" will never stop calling it that because its how they look at it as. They are "experimenting" with how much drama they can get from matching couples for one reason or another and so on. The constant reminder that it is not just an "experiment" but one they will be able to walk away from so easily when the time comes doesn't help. 

• Love 2

Compared to last year, at least there is the possibility of all 3 couples having sex on the honeymoon.

Remember it  was a no-go from the get-go for 2 out of 3 couples last round.

Thinking since Danielle was edited to declare "no sex on the wedding night" she'll be persuaded by Country Cody.

Am I the only one to notice all the drinking going on from the visit to the homes to tell them they have been matched to the wedding dress shopping to the stripper party bus to the hard booze at the reception?

Even Pastor Calvin was tippling hard.

• Love 2