Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: Flying

• Start Topic

I dunno, I kinda love the soapiness of Ginger's blackmail scheme, that Ginger is basically using Valerie's playbook against her.  But what Ginger said about their con in September setting Val up with a successful business and a great place to live?  Val already had both those things, and as Tara pointed out, Val was only able to stay in Kelly's good graces for about fives minutes so it really netted Val nada.  So...whatever, Ging.  But yeah, I still love this subplot.  I much prefer this show when it's being soapy, even stupidly, than when it's being preachy.

Speaking of soapy, oh man, Claire calling Coke!Kelly back to throw the vial of coke at her is such an awesome moment.  And yeah, Coke!Kelly stealing Brandon's car to escape him (we feel you, girl) was rather gangster.  I'm so sad Coke!Kelly is nearing its conclusion.

Claire's blow-up sex doll is actually, in a rare burst of continuity, her snoring sleep aid from the STUFF! back in season 5 when she first moved into the beach apartment.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Claire's blow-up sex doll is actually, in a rare burst of continuity, her snoring sleep aid from the STUFF! back in season 5 when she first moved into the beach apartment.

lol I completely forgot about that. Good catch.

26 minutes ago, maxineofarc said:

Another way Donna is a saint: insisting Kelly is her best friend when Kelly is NO ONE's best friend.

I did think it was weird how Donna was all, "Poor Kelly..." in this one when she was so salty with/over Kelly in the last episode.

• Love 1

I think as the Chancellor's daughter, Clair has been trained to be paranoid about things that could make her look bad.  After all, she must have a lot of pressure on her to be perfect due to the reflection on her dad.  She didn't really know druggie David, so I can see that she's not looking too kindly on Coke!Kelly and her "kind".  She isn't wrong... later on, Coke!Kelly does cavort with all sorts of unsavory characters (looking at you Cousin Bobby). 

I'm not sure who Donna's BFF is.  I would have said it was Kelly, but when David cheated on Donna, Brenda was the BFF.  I think that deep down, she likes to think that Kelly is her bestie, to have superiority over all other girls in the group.

Finally, I hated Ginger's scheme.  I didn't understand why she hated Val that much.  At the end, she didn't get anything (spoiler?) except ruin Val. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

Kelly looks like hell, but it's nice to see she can still make time to keep her manicure up, and to wear black on her nails so we know she's a bad girl right now.

she IS from Beverly Hills... the girl still knows how to live in society.  My guess is that her nail polish is actually Chanel's Vamp, which was one of my most lusted-after things from the 90s that I never ever had (I had to mix my own).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

she IS from Beverly Hills... the girl still knows how to live in society.  My guess is that her nail polish is actually Chanel's Vamp, which was one of my most lusted-after things from the 90s that I never ever had (I had to mix my own).

1000% it's definitely Vamp. Man. I wanted Vamp so badly. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Finally, I hated Ginger's scheme.  I didn't understand why she hated Val that much.  At the end, she didn't get anything (spoiler?) except ruin Val. 

Ginger sucks and all...BUT way back upon Val's debut, she called Ginger to talk about how the gang were all "avacado heads" and Steve would potentially "give good credit card", etc. before she became inexplicably obsessed with sometimes gaining their approval. Maybe Ginger thinks her "bad girl partner in crime" did a total 180 since the theft scam and thus feels betrayed. That was a heck of a lot of pearl-clutching after how she did Ray.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Oh, yes.  It was definitely Vamp.  I'm sure some Jane's Browned-down Red was being used, too, and the whole female cast smelled like Tangerine or Lavender from The Healing Garden.

SIGH, those were great days.

And cucumber melon from Victoria's Secret. I don't want to be 20 again, but I would take a time machine back to visit 1995 for a week or so.

4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Kelly looks and acts like she had been abandoned in the woods to be attacked by nature. 

Sadly, that's what cokeheads act like. Jennie Garth did some fine acting here, she must have seen some of them in the wild.

Edited by ZeroDiscipline
  • Love 7

I must be a moron as I STILL don't get the benefits of the scam.  Ok, so Ginger "stole" stuff and Val "saved" Ray's rep.  No one cares about any of these people!   The Hillsters only care about other hillsters. Everyone already hates Ray.  In the midst of all this coke stuff, would anyone care if Ginger tells them the truth?

• Love 3

I really appreciate that phonerelated issues are always getting Tara's attention: from the dad phone stuff with Jim over Dylan knowing Brenda's dorm room phone number to this. Something to hold on to, now that Dylan's ugly sheets are gone.

1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

In the midst of all this coke stuff, would anyone care if Ginger tells them the truth?

Seriously!  The bitchy queen bee of The Gang is spiraling into coke addiction, Val being Val wouldn't exactly be headline news.

• Love 3

And why would Val care if they knew the truth ? This definitely isn't the worst scam she's done that they knew about .. and she wants the gang to accept her and be friends with her followed by 2 minutes later doing another scam that'll get them to hate her again . So who cares ? 

This thread title reminds me that nearly the exact same line is spoken about Kelly the previous season, in the midst of the cult stuff - Brandon (I think) says to Dylan, "I just don't get how two people as smart as you and Kelly could get mixed up in this." Sooner or later people are going to need to realize that Kelly is not actually all that smart. 

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate the Ginger plot for so many reasons. Ginger is way to OTT as a snarky, supposedly cunning bad girl. Blackmail is pretty much my least favorite soap storyline; it's just so boring and totally devoid of drama. I actually really liked David and Val together - they were kind of boring, but they were nice enough (and they actually seemed to enjoy being together, generally speaking, which David and Donna [who I hated together] rarely did); and it made no fucking sense that Val would be this desperate to stop this secret from coming out and to keep these idiots as friends, especially when five minutes after she and David break up she ends up with Colin, thus pretty much alienating the people she was so desperate to make sure wouldn't think badly of her. 

• Love 3

I did like Val and David together somewhat the first time around but I never could enjoy them because most of their few episode relationship was based on her being more into Colin than she was into David and David always bailing her out of stuff. The second time around that they dated, I felt like David was just not into it so I couldn't get into it either.

I always felt that David and Valerie were a great combo.  She seemed to really understand the demons he battled.  Donna is just too sheltered to get that David was going through some real shit.  And, despite the numerous courses at CU, Kelly didn't ever seem to notice or care about David's mental health.  David also seemed to be someone who saw Val as a worthy person, not just someone to f*ck.  Her past dudes (Dylan, Ray, Collin etc) all acted like they were doing her a HUGE favor by taking her to bed.  Brandon always acted like her dad.

I still remember how sad it was when Val had posted bail for Collin and he fled, later telling Kelly in "the sting" that he really only loved her.  Kelly is (surprise) a bitch about it and so smug to Val. 

Also, it seemed that David and Val had a nice healthy sex life. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I always felt that David and Valerie were a great combo.  She seemed to really understand the demons he battled.  Donna is just too sheltered to get that David was going through some real shit.  And, despite the numerous courses at CU, Kelly didn't ever seem to notice or care about David's mental health.  David also seemed to be someone who saw Val as a worthy person, not just someone to f*ck.  Her past dudes (Dylan, Ray, Collin etc) all acted like they were doing her a HUGE favor by taking her to bed.  Brandon always acted like her dad.

I still remember how sad it was when Val had posted bail for Collin and he fled, later telling Kelly in "the sting" that he really only loved her.  Kelly is (surprise) a bitch about it and so smug to Val. 

Also, it seemed that David and Val had a nice healthy sex life. 

Yet David is the only one of those guys who she never sought after. I guess it fits the "nice guys finish last" idea.

• Love 1

I'm not sure where to ask this slightly OT question, so I will drop it here. The POP network started airing BH90210 from the beginning again a few weeks ago. Apparently, they--like a lot of us-- got to the season 8 finale and said, "We cannot do this again. We just can't do 9 and 10 again."
So I have been really enjoying listening to the early podcasts, along with these in season six.

We've entered the early days of season two now, on POP/AWT. Dead Scott!! Wildfire! Popcorn! But alas where is the podcast for Necessity Is A Mother? I am missing some good Iris/Mind gym snark. There's also another early season two podcast missing, but I cannot recall which one right now. I understand ITunes has a limit, so thankfully they're still available right off the site, except those two. Is there a link , please? I can't just go to a mind gym or mellow on the beach; and I've always been really bad at pool. Please give me my fix before I DownwardSpiral lite!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Yeah, I remember that too, that sucked for Val.  And I don't get why Colin would still be professing love for Kelly, given meeting her and moving to LA pretty much ruined his life.

8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Yeah, I remember that too, that sucked for Val.  And I don't get why Colin would still be professing love for Kelly, given meeting her and moving to LA pretty much ruined his life.

Colin is an addict and professing his love for Kelly once again is basically the same thing as snorting a kilo of coke up his nose.

Although The whole storyline with Steve's birthday party, the prince and Claire, and the spotting of Colin (with requisite chase and Brandon being the hero yet again); is as long and boring and badly put together as this sentence; I appreciate the one brief shining scene with Pauly Shore. Said no one ever before nor ever again. And Val looked particularly hot.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, GoRunner said:

I'm not sure where to ask this slightly OT question, so I will drop it here. The POP network started airing BH90210 from the beginning again a few weeks ago. Apparently, they--like a lot of us-- got to the season 8 finale and said, "We cannot do this again. We just can't do 9 and 10 again."
So I have been really enjoying listening to the early podcasts, along with these in season six.

We've entered the early days of season two now, on POP/AWT. Dead Scott!! Wildfire! Popcorn! But alas where is the podcast for Necessity Is A Mother? I am missing some good Iris/Mind gym snark. There's also another early season two podcast missing, but I cannot recall which one right now. I understand ITunes has a limit, so thankfully they're still available right off the site, except those two. Is there a link , please? I can't just go to a mind gym or mellow on the beach; and I've always been really bad at pool. Please give me my fix before I DownwardSpiral lite!

I totally remember the Mind Gym as Dave had even looked it up and given a mini report on it.  And there were some jokes about Jim in a beach in Maui running around without clothes. 

I don't get POP but I'm surprised they don't have the last two seasons- I think that's when Dylan returns and we have DoorMat, Gina, etc.  Is Noah in season 8?

2 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I don't get POP but I'm surprised they don't have the last two seasons- I think that's when Dylan returns and we have DoorMat, Gina, etc.  Is Noah in season 8?

They have them, and usually air them, but a month or so ago they just started over after season 8. Someone else noticed that the day the changeover happened, Dawson's Creek and ER also started over with their pilots. So, I assume that POP will run the last two seasons when we get there, this was just a giant clean slate do-over for all three of those old shows. It was marketed as "pilot week" or some such. I am sorry I know all this.

• Love 2

Thank you so much Tara! I'm looking forward to hearing it again.

That pilot week idea definitely makes sense. I don't mind season 9, but I truly dislike Mall Attorney. I swear he brings out all of Kelly's bitchiest sanctimony. Beautiful Gina becomes such a caricature. And mumble-mouth Noah wears my last nerve by then. And by the last quarter of season 10 it seems like the actors are really chomping at the bit almost palpably. The podcasts will be full of fun snark though!

• Love 4
On 4/19/2017 at 4:52 AM, atlanticslide said:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaate the Ginger plot for so many reasons. Ginger is way to OTT as a snarky, supposedly cunning bad girl. Blackmail is pretty much my least favorite soap storyline; it's just so boring and totally devoid of drama. I actually really liked David and Val together - they were kind of boring, but they were nice enough (and they actually seemed to enjoy being together, generally speaking, which David and Donna [who I hated together] rarely did); and it made no fucking sense that Val would be this desperate to stop this secret from coming out and to keep these idiots as friends, especially when five minutes after she and David break up she ends up with Colin, thus pretty much alienating the people she was so desperate to make sure wouldn't think badly of her. 

Ok you read my mind. I am rewatching these eps because I love Coke!Kelly, but I FF right through all the Ginger bullshit. What kind of a con artist gives up cold hard cash for some C-List D. Gimme a break. And Val freaking out over being exposed is so damn annoying. I wish she would have just asked for the tape and then played it for the gang her own damn self. Have some dignity, VAL.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:08 AM, TeeVee329 said:
On 4/19/2017 at 5:35 PM, CurlyATX said:

See this is, again, where the writers take a potentially awesome character (Val) and ruin her. I never got why Val was so into Colin in the first place. I feel as if Val would have looked down on Colin for (1) being a cokehead rent boy and (2) being hung up on Kelly. Also, I feel like Val (as previously written) would have sensed a pattern with Colin that he basically "loved" who ever was there to help him out at the moment. Ugh.

Have we gotten to the famous Colin mush mouth moment yet? ("SOS, man, I'll pay DEBBLE.") LOVE IT!

10 hours ago, GoRunner said:

That pilot week idea definitely makes sense. I don't mind season 9, but I truly dislike Mall Attorney. I swear he brings out all of Kelly's bitchiest sanctimony. Beautiful Gina becomes such a caricature. And mumble-mouth Noah wears my last nerve by then. And by the last quarter of season 10 it seems like the actors are really chomping at the bit almost palpably. The podcasts will be full of fun snark though!

I can barely make it through the last few seasons. Just so much bad, bad, bad acting all around although there are some shining moments. Kelly getting shot! Druggie!Dylan throwing Donna into the pool! And also loved the sexual harassment story are all pretty good. 

Hated Mall Attorney too and as an attorney, it bugged the Shit out of me how Kelly would tell him how to do his damn job. AND HE WOULD LISTEN TO HER. Shut up, Kelly.

2 hours ago, Klaw said:

Hated Mall Attorney too and as an attorney, it bugged the Shit out of me how Kelly would tell him how to do his damn job. AND HE WOULD LISTEN TO HER. Shut up, Kelly.

As a fellow attorney, it bugged the shit out of me how unethical he was also when he used that client's retainer to buy Kelly's engagement ring, got suspended for a short period of time, violated the suspension, and got mad because he got busted again.  He should have been disbarred, but I digress...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Klaw said:

This. Why is Kelly dating an attorney if every case he takes, she ruins by saying it isn't up to her moral standards. With all said and done, I actually didn't mind Matt as a character. I don't think he really even wanted Kelly in the beginning, as he first aimed for Donna and had no problem dropping her like a fly the second his wife came back into town. I actually thought Kelly was at her bitchiest with Brandon. But Matt was a close second.

• Love 1