Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S06.E02: Library

Recommended Posts

Quote

Selina attends the opening of President Hughes’ library. Jonah gets advice on how to rise in the political ranks; Dan suffers through Jane’s whims; Amy releases an attack ad.

Promo:

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Richard says "That's a felony" "That's also a felony" in every episode! Also Amy's Buzz and Woody analogy? Priceless.

But Gary attacking Andrew? Probably one of the best things ever!

Edited by tomsmom
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Jonah's second date's only mistake was not grabbing that dessert to go!

When everyone got out of the car in front of the fundraiser looking disheveled (heh, Gary was tucking his shirt into his pants), I thought there would be a tabloid story the next day about Selina having an orgy in the car. As soon as Andrew asked Mike how to have his text messages read out loud, I knew this would happen but I was all for it as long as it meant getting Andrew out of the picture (again).

Oh, Amy. You don't need to be Stand By Your Man Barbie either. Ditch Buddy already!

1 hour ago, revbfc said:

Why do I get the sinking feeling that Jonah is going to be the sperm donor?

Hush your mouth!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know whether to laugh or to groan when Selina commands Richard and Gary to look up as potential architects "every Tom, Dick, and Gehry."

The text messages bit was hilarious.

Also loved this: "Being a bachelor in this town means you're gayer than a TV evangelist." "Goddammit, I hate homophobia."

Jonah screwing up his dates reminded me of David Brent's terrible dates in The Office Christmas special.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this week's was firing on all cylinders funny. The opener was perfect of Selena and Gary getting (almost) caught behind the desk. Dan's storyline is still kind of a bust -- he seriously needs to get back to DC full time or better yet, go out to Nevada and rescue Amy--but him stealing Jonah's only chance at a good date was priceless. Poor Kent and Will ruled by tyrants--that one tiny moment was so pathetically great. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The show finally got its groove back; this episode had better jokes that landed and weren't all distributed in one place. Loved Gary's reactions to Andrew all throughout the episode. That comment Selina made about Gary's lack of procreation made me cringe because it just highlights how he wasted his life (not talking about kids I don't think Gary should be the father of anyone) and I'm still waiting for East Wing, the redux from them.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, lavenderrose said:

The show finally got its groove back; this episode had better jokes that landed and weren't all distributed in one place. Loved Gary's reactions to Andrew all throughout the episode. That comment Selina made about Gary's lack of procreation made me cringe because it just highlights how he wasted his life (not talking about kids I don't think Gary should be the father of anyone) and I'm still waiting for East Wing, the redux from them

It's just so awful how she disrespects Gary, who is totally devoted to her and let's Andrew walk all over her.  I wish Gary would quit, but they have such an awful codependent dynamic, that they would probably be lost without each other.  That Andrew must be a smooth operator, because she really takes crap from him that she would not tolerate from anyone else. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It's just so awful how she disrespects Gary, who is totally devoted to her and let's Andrew walk all over her.  I wish Gary would quit, but they have such an awful codependent dynamic, that they would probably be lost without each other.  That Andrew must be a smooth operator, because she really takes crap from him that she would not tolerate from anyone else. 

Well you know, unlike the American people, Andrew f**ks her in a way she really LIKES. Hee. 

What I love about the Gary-Selena relationship roller coaster is that every few episodes she will actually have a vulnerable moment when she really needs him/is really nice to him--usually when she's physically impaired by illness or something. I think they've maybe gone a while without doing that and they need to work some of that in. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

These episodes manage to get an hour's worth of material into a half hour of show! I don't even know where to begin!

I think Amy see's more value in getting Buddy elected than she feels personal desire to bolt his stupid ass. But I can't see her hanging around in Nevada too long for the sake of the show. - "Hung up on by Amy Brookheimer, well there's a new low"

When Selina turns it on, she can certainly turn it on. It's amazing how quickly she had the hostile reporter eating out of her hand. - "He is intimately involved in every aspect of his business. That said, he had no idea what was going on, and he fired a number five, and a couple sixes."

May Dan and Jonah continue to fuck up each other's lives from now until eternity, like some sort of perpetual motion device of terror.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I loved when Will essentially offered Kent his condolences at having his job but under Jonah and then tried to comfort him by saying that it's just the first few years that are the worst. I never thought Jonah would be even marginally better than anyone but at least he doesn't force Kent to continually insult himself the way Furlong makes Will. 

Jonah's first two dates "went to the bathroom" and Dan stole his third date, so Jonah is down to the last bachelorette. I cracked up when Ben said that Kent's matchmaking procedure was too complicated and then Kent reminded him that it's JONAH. 

If their unsatisfactory sex life and his drunken rant hadn't been enough to convince Amy not to marry Buddy, I'm pretty sure that half assed attempt at a prayer pushed her over the line. As soon as this election is over, so is their engagement. 

Dan's storyline with Blair Waldorf's mom isn't great, but it's also nice to see Dan eat a little shit for now (even though I simultaneously approve of him totally cock blocking Jonah!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If anyone wonders how Smith College feels about the jokes in this episode, I can guarantee you that they've not only heard all of them, they perfected them years ago.

Edited by revbfc
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Jonah's date with the cancer survivor was so perfectly and horribly Jonah. 

9 hours ago, revbfc said:

Why do I get the sinking feeling that Jonah is going to be the sperm donor?

I didn't get that feeling when I watched the episode, but now I am horrified by the possibility.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Oh, Amy. You don't need to be Stand By Your Man Barbie either. Ditch Buddy already!

That ending just made me wonder how hard and how brutally Amy's gonna dump him. She's going to fuck up his chances of being elected for neighborhood watch, methinks.

Gary's my favorite with the gags in the library, his frantic running to the presidents, and then attacking Andrew. Doing the Lord's work there. Regarding Andrew, also loved Marjorie's assessment of Selina and him. You are unstable and manipulative and I worry about the genes you will pass down to our child. But your ex is worse. I didn't care for Marjorie when they introduced her, but I'm starting to get the appeal.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

So much funny in this ep, and yet so much horrible people. (bad grammar is deliberate) I think there are just two people I feel any affection for right now: Gary and Richard. But I can still appreciate all the jokes.

Jonah. Ugh. First off, I'd be surprised if anyone is fooled by his hair-shaving. I mean, it's clear that his head is shaved, not that it fell out due to chemo. I guess this is just part of his self-delusion. Second, I can't imagine any woman lasting more than one date with him. He describes his testicle surgery to one date, then when another date tells him about her mastectomy, he says how grossed out he is. I mean, we can only laugh at this character, but man I kinda hate him.

The Shroud of Urine. Hee.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW, "Blair Waldorf's mother" is the wonderful actress Margaret Colin, who has many, many credits to her name.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I never thought Jonah would be even marginally better than anyone but at least he doesn't force Kent to continually insult himself the way Furlong makes Will. 

Jonah's an idiot, but it's not like he's torpedoing Kent's career. I figure Kent's just plying his trade until something better comes along. I'm sure he's been there before.

I don't know if I buy the main plot. It was kind of a stretch. I guess because the artist got in front of the story I can see the media spinning it out of control. Selina still is a popular public figure isn't she? I'd have a hard time thinking she got *that* much backlash. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sharper than the first episode, but I'm still feeling it as a victory lap.  This will not be a beloved TV institution across the generations or anything.  They could have ended it where they did and they would have been fine.  They want to go for one more, that's OK with me, too.  I think they'll know when to put a bullet in it and it won't be on Season 14.

Edited by Totale
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wendyg said:

FWIW, "Blair Waldorf's mother" is the wonderful actress Margaret Colin, who has many, many credits to her name.

I've been a fan of Margaret Colin ever since the early 80s when I avoided my high school homework by watching her as Nurse Margo on As the World Turns - esp when she and Tom Hughes (her real-life husband, Justin Deas) were fighting the villain Mr. Big. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I loved so much about this episode. So many funny things, and not so much sheer and utter nastiness. (Plenty of it, but not as much as unmitigated as last week.) Selina actually being a victim (of Andrew) makes her bitterness more understandable. 

I adore Richard. I love that he is a dolt in one moment, and the voice of wisdom and reason in the next. 

Was Amy always so hunched and dumpy? Her wardrobe thus far this season, and the way her hair hangs over her shoulders, make her look so dowdy. I don't remember her seeming that way in previous seasons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, lavenderrose said:

The show finally got its groove back; this episode had better jokes that landed and weren't all distributed in one place. 

Totally agree, this episode was much funnier than the first one. 

I really hope Andrew is phased out. I don't enjoy the character at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, taragel said:

I thought this week's was firing on all cylinders funny. The opener was perfect of Selena and Gary getting (almost) caught behind the desk. Dan's storyline is still kind of a bust -- he seriously needs to get back to DC full time or better yet, go out to Nevada and rescue Amy--but him stealing Jonah's only chance at a good date was priceless. Poor Kent and Will ruled by tyrants--that one tiny moment was so pathetically great. 

Me too!  I really enjoyed last week, but this one had twice the amount of legitimate LOL moments for me.  I think Marjorie's "compli-sult" to Selena was my favorite: (badly paraphrased) "Ma'am you are terribly unbalanced and I fear the genes you will pass onto our child. But you are still marginally better than your husband."  And Selena nodding and thanking her.  And the whole mom/ma'am conversation had me rolling!

 

16 hours ago, Totale said:

Sharper than the first episode, but I'm still feeling it as a victory lap.  This will not be a beloved TV institution across the generations or anything.  They could have ended it where they did and they would have been fine.  They want to go for one more, that's OK with me, too.  I think they'll know when to put a bullet in it and it won't be on Season 14.

Respectfully disagree.  But vive la difference.

13 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I can't even describe the noise I made when Richard cheerfully said, "That was a long one! She must be at a light." Sam Richardson is a delight. 

He is a national treasure!  I just adore him. 

His line "I'm gonna scratch it into the paper and then kind of go back over and trace over and see what I wrote before, like in a suspense movie" killed me!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Jonah. Ugh. First off, I'd be surprised if anyone is fooled by his hair-shaving. I mean, it's clear that his head is shaved, not that it fell out due to chemo. I guess this is just part of his self-delusion. Second, I can't imagine any woman lasting more than one date with him. He describes his testicle surgery to one date, then when another date tells him about her mastectomy, he says how grossed out he is. I mean, we can only laugh at this character, but man I kinda hate him.

Didn't Kent say they found four women? We only saw three dates, right? Maybe #4 will appear in a future episode.

15 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Was Amy always so hunched and dumpy? Her wardrobe thus far this season, and the way her hair hangs over her shoulders, make her look so dowdy. I don't remember her seeming that way in previous seasons. 

Maybe it's a character point, since Amy is only going through the motions with Buddy's campaign and isn't where she wants to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They definitely lined up four women for Jonah, although they had to widen the area to come up with that many. I guess she could be travelling from further away. I'm counting on it being brought up again in the future, since there was no reason to mention four and then show three if there is no intention to use her in some way. Does Dan have a sister/sisters? That could be a new way to play on their rivalry.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Maybe it's a character point, since Amy is only going through the motions with Buddy's campaign and isn't where she wants to be.

That's what I thought. Amy's clearly unhappy, and this election is really beneath her skills. I think the final shot of her disgust during the prayer was meant to underscore this. Even her typical harsh language is more pointed than normal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Maybe it's a character point, since Amy is only going through the motions with Buddy's campaign and isn't where she wants to be.

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure this was new rather than already established. 

57 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Me too!  I really enjoyed last week, but this one had twice the amount of legitimate LOL moments for me.  I think Marjorie's "compli-sult" to Selena was my favorite: (badly paraphrased) "Ma'am you are terribly unbalanced and I fear the genes you will pass onto our child. But you are still marginally better than your husband."  And Selena nodding and thanking her.  And the whole mom/ma'am conversation had me rolling!

 

Respectfully disagree.  But vive la difference.

He is a national treasure!  I just adore him. 

His line "I'm gonna scratch it into the paper and then kind of go back over and trace over and see what I wrote before, like in a suspense movie" killed me!

Totally agree about Marjorie, and Selina's response. Marjorie doesn't always work for me, but that was hilarious. 

Re: Richard ... I didn't even hear the entirety of the "suspense movie" comment but the whole scene was awesome. 

One of the things I love about this show is that all the characters are looking around thinking they are the one intelligent person surrounded by idiots ... and they are all kind of right. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Duke2801 said:

 

His line "I'm gonna scratch it into the paper and then kind of go back over and trace over and see what I wrote before, like in a suspense movie" killed me!

I caught that line and his "Tough break buddy!" to Mike when I rewatched the episode earlier. I always watch the episodes a few times, because I always catch new lines each time, but Richard's tiny asides consistently make me laugh hardest. Mainly because they're so earnest. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Selina still is a popular public figure isn't she?

I don't think Selena has ever been popular. I think her near-miss in the election was due more to partisanship or party loyalty (or how awful her opponent was). She's been dogged by controversy since we met her. I love this running gag about the prison owner she pardoned at the last minute - everywhere she goes that's all people want to ask her about. "He fired his number five guy" is just such a spot-on commentary about actual repercussions in the corporate world. Some scapegoat took the fall for whatever happened and everyone else walked away with millions or kept their jobs or both.

Agree with the general consensus, this one was better than the season premier. I about died when Gary lunged at Andrew in the car. You almost have to watch every episode twice to catch all the little asides and background comments. Like Selina complaining about being the one winding up with the scarlet letter and Gary murmuring "oh that is so your color." 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2017 at 7:24 AM, revbfc said:

Why do I get the sinking feeling that Jonah is going to be the sperm donor?

I doubt Catherine would want someone with the police sketch face of a rapist--in her words--acting as a sperm donor, but it does seem as if the eventual sperm donor will be an existing character on the show, judging from Mike's Chekhov gun advice about how Marjorie and Catherine should find someone they know and can trust.

I've read a few interviews with David Mandel where he seems to express that he and his writing team are guided first and foremost by what would be funnier. Selina failing is funnier than Selina succeeding. Jonah succeeding is funnier than Jonah failing. And so on. So with that in mind, who would be the funniest sperm donor of the existing cast members? The answer could very well be Jonah.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to watch an episode devoted to Richard. The guy slays me! Just to watch him with "normal" would be a delight. Everyone of his lines is a hit, IMO. Plus the actor is amazing at portraying Richard - so smart, so earnest, yet so off the mark at times.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You almost have to watch every episode twice to catch all the little asides and background comments. Like Selina complaining about being the one winding up with the scarlet letter and Gary murmuring "oh that is so your color." 

Oh my God, I totally missed that one.

Share this post


Link to post

Sometimes I forget how good JLD is at physical comedy.  That failed attempt to get over the barrier so that she was practically planking, then Gary straightening her up and plopping her down was amazing.

I love Richard.  I think he's my favorite character; he's an oasis of sincerity in the middle of all the meanness and backbiting.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

One of the little moments that made me laugh was Selina referring to one of Mike's babies as IT. Say bye bye. -It doesn't have to say bye. That's going to be grandma of the year right there. Speaking of Mike's kids, I feel like the odds of his daughter playing hide and seek while Helen was getting acquainted with the First Chubby are uncomfortably high.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, bijoux said:

One of the little moments that made me laugh was Selina referring to one of Mike's babies as IT. Say bye bye. -It doesn't have to say bye. That's going to be grandma of the year right there. Speaking of Mike's kids, I feel like the odds of his daughter playing hide and seek while Helen was getting acquainted with the First Chubby are uncomfortably high.

 

I'll have to rewatch that part, but I thought Selena thought Mike was still talking about his shirt and didn't realize he was talking about his baby. Because she's oblivious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'll have to rewatch that part, but I thought Selena thought Mike was still talking about his shirt and didn't realize he was talking about his baby. Because she's oblivious.

Ha! I think you might be right! And it would definitely match up with her thinking his kids were dogs last week. ?

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/30/2017 at 9:12 AM, CofCinci said:

I can see Amy ditching Buddy and becoming Jonah's new fiancee -- purely a political couple.

Horrible as that prospect is, Amy is not one whit less cravenly ambitious than her colleagues -- she lacks only their animal spirits. She also has an inflated opinion of her skills, or at least, what "skill" is worth. She might believe that if she doubles in the roles of chief of staff and spouse, she can make even Jonah a figure of stature. Rather than an over-filled douchebag. 

Share this post


Link to post

True, Amy is just as ambitious as the rest of them (more ambitious than some of the characters - I feel like Ben is just happy to coast). What's interesting is that we've seen what these characters are willing to do (ahem, run Jonah's campaign) but we haven't seen many examples of things that they AREN'T willing to do. Dan was willing to sleep with Amy's sister when he thought she worked for CBS. Would Amy be willing to pretend to date Jonah to further her career? I really hope she has more dignity than that, but I can't deny how hilarious it would be for her to be constantly muttering insults at him while smiling for photographs with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2017 at 9:21 AM, taragel said:

Dan's storyline is still kind of a bust -- he seriously needs to get back to DC full time or better yet, go out to Nevada and rescue Amy...

I part company with you on that. I'm loving everything, and that includes the Dan storyline, because it opens up a vein of viciousness the show hasn't tapped yet--the behind-the-scenes of the network news show. Not that other shows haven't gone there, but Veep goes there better than anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2017 at 3:33 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I part company with you on that. I'm loving everything, and that includes the Dan storyline, because it opens up a vein of viciousness the show hasn't tapped yet--the behind-the-scenes of the network news show. Not that other shows haven't gone there, but Veep goes there better than anyone else.

I'm liking it a bit more as we get further in. I couldn't buy into the idea that Dan wouldn't have known exactly how baiting Jonah to blow up would actually help him instead of hurt him in the ratings-obsessed news game. Plus, he's been more integrated with the group than I really thought he would be at first. They're still kind of half-assing it on the stuff with his costar I think though... and I miss him interacting more with Amy. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2017 at 9:14 PM, heavysnaxx said:

I've been a fan of Margaret Colin ever since the early 80s when I avoided my high school homework by watching her as Nurse Margo on As the World Turns - esp when she and Tom Hughes (her real-life husband, Justin Deas) were fighting the villain Mr. Big. 

MC got me watching ATWT as a teen as well. I watched it until the final episode. I didn't think Margo was a nurse, her mother was Nurse Lila, but maybe that was before she became a detective when I first started watching. I remember she was with James Stenbeck, the character that died like a thousand times and just kept coming back...good  times.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×