Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Where Bluebirds Fly

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I still don't understand why they were trapped by the cave in. Why didn't they just poof out of there? 

I did think it was very considerate of Black to poof them onto canvas sacks/blankets on the wet ground so they wouldn't get muddy.  See?  She's not so bad!

14 hours ago, Camera One said:

Great questions.  The rocks in the mine are a special type of granite that causes magical wavelengths to reverberate and cancel each other out.  Similarly, the protein threads made by the spider had a very unique sequence of amino acids that counteracted the effects of magic and had an effect on the epigenetics of nerve firing so triggered Emma's tremors.  Hope that helps!

As usual, you have put way more thought into it than did the writers!  Honestly, A&E should pay you to answer questions on twitter for them - then they wouldn't have to continually delete them afterwards.  

• Love 6

But, why her darkness secret have to be how she give Rumple up.

I don't know I am just tired that everything involve some family secrets I wish to learn what her plans are besides recreate her dysfunctional family like almost every villain on the show.

Anyway, I did liked Zelena and as always I side with her when there conflict with Regina. Regina is just to snobby and bossy despite all her mistake past and present.

The highlights still the charming clan I just will miss them when Snowing will be gone. Why couldn't we have more touching or silly moment with them instead of all the one off character. That always end up pointless.

When I saw the flower blouse of Belle I could not think about all the flack Emma would have got if she was wearing it. 

• Love 2

Rewatching, I'm finding myself siding with Zelena, even in the flashback. I guess it depends on whether she actually became friends with the tin man kid and it was a friendship that lasted through their teen years or if it was like so many of this show's other "deep" friendships, where they had that one encounter, and that's supposed to have been meaningful enough that one of them would be willing to sacrifice everything for the other. If they actually became friends after that one encounter and continued to hang out, then I could kind of see him expecting her to give up her power to save his life, but if they just ran into each other that one time on the road, then that was a lot to ask of her. And, given that they're talking like having a friend would save her, it sounds like they didn't become friends. If she'd had an ongoing friend, she might not have turned out the way she did.

And they say "final battle" so often that I'm now wishing I had a supply of nerf balls to throw at the TV every time they say that.

• Love 2

And they say "final battle" so often that I'm now wishing I had a supply of nerf balls to throw at the TV every time they say that.

I'd say make it a drinking game, but that would become a health hazard real fast.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Rewatching, I'm finding myself siding with Zelena, even in the flashback. I guess it depends on whether she actually became friends with the tin man kid and it was a friendship that lasted through their teen years or if it was like so many of this show's other "deep" friendships, where they had that one encounter, and that's supposed to have been meaningful enough that one of them would be willing to sacrifice everything for the other.

That was never made clear, and to me, that's why the flashbacks were lame and weak.  

I think the intention was that you would feel for and side with Zelena, so the Writers did their job... I mean, the whole episode was meant to showcase how much the character had grown and was now ready to give up her magic for everyone.  Though it was idiotic of her to think she could take on The Black Fairy.  That part felt like the usual dumb-reckless-hero-makes-things-worse subplot.  That's why this episode overall was just middle-of-the-road for me.  It was very by-the-numbers, but overall, it was more enjoyable than probably 15/18 of this season thus far.

14 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I guess it depends on whether she actually became friends with the tin man kid and it was a friendship that lasted through their teen years or if it was like so many of this show's other "deep" friendships, where they had that one encounter, and that's supposed to have been meaningful enough that one of them would be willing to sacrifice everything for the other.

Since Zelena found "True Love" with Hades after a bike ride, I'm not sure it's supposed to matter in this show. They met once ten years ago. That should be enough!

• Love 3

If they even put that much thought into it...Snow has a thing for bluebirds. The picture she put up in the mayor's office (that Bitchy Regina later torched) featured bluebirds.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Dianthus said:

If they even put that much thought into it...Snow has a thing for bluebirds. The picture she put up in the mayor's office (that Bitchy Regina later torched) featured bluebirds.

They don't think about Snow, ever.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Floor seems to have given up on Hook, and has set its eyes on Regina. #QueenFloor is the new ship now. Possible love triangle?

Unrelated note: Regina's magic is severely overrated.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

I'm glad I skimmed over the thread again before posting because my first comment when it first aired was about how Hook finally got to take his coat off indoors, and that was exactly what I was going to say this time. The wedding planning was cute but kind of ridiculous. If Snow had a massive binder of wedding ideas, wouldn't she have had clearer ideas instead of running around considering things? She'd have already picked a venue and imagined what to do with it, and I don't think Granny's diner would have been at the top of the list for a royal wedding.

There was a shot in one of the scenes that amused me because it was from behind Hook and Emma, facing the Charmings, and it looked like David's sightline was such that he was making eye contact with Hook, and he had an expression of longsuffering and sympathy, so it looked like David and Hook were essentially rolling their eyes at each other about what Snow was up to and commiserating. It was a nice little bit of background acting, something Josh did a lot of for the relationship between David and Hook, which is what made it so silly when they did their annual "David suddenly hates Hook now" episode, after Josh had been working so hard to convey that they were buddies in the background.

I liked Zelena in the other side of the story, though the flashbacks were pretty lame because the outcome was pretty obvious. We know Zelena still had power and hadn't had any friends, so we knew she didn't give up her power to help the woodsman. There was no twist or surprise to that backstory. All it did was set up the latest surprise magical gizmo that conveniently solves their problem.

The Black Fairy should have been a really fun villain, but as much as they talk about how terrible and dark she is, she's actually rather boring and doesn't do all that much.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I liked Zelena in the other side of the story, though the flashbacks were pretty lame because the outcome was pretty obvious. We know Zelena still had power and hadn't had any friends, so we knew she didn't give up her power to help the woodsman. There was no twist or surprise to that backstory. All it did was set up the latest surprise magical gizmo that conveniently solves their problem.

This episode could be used as an example of their cookie-cutter writing.  

• Love 2

Oh good, another random plot thingy that does some kind of magic thingy that might inconvenience the villain for a second before the final episode when they get defeated by waving intense jazz hands or whatever. Snooze. 

The Zelena flashback was fine I guess, in that it wasn't a horrible ret-con or anything like many this season, but it was another "flashback to remind us again and again of this characters deal" episode. Zelena at least has some actually consistent issues that are actually real, unlike Regina and her SHE NEEDS TO LOVE HERSELF weep fests, so at least its better than those. 

So they named the episode after a random nest? Also, who the hell are these idiots picking on this super powerful magic girl, and calling her a "freak"...in OZ!? Oz lives and breathes magic, they're in walking distance of the Emerald City, home of the Wizard of Oz! Giving her this backstory makes absolutely zero sense living where she did. But of course, world building is for losers at this point so its what I've come to expect.

Snow and her wedding planning is kind of cute, and we even got some adorable Captain Swan moments, so even if I think Snow comes off as kind of manic and weird about HOPE!!!!!!!! and its ridiculous that she has been keeping this binder for so long (when did she have the time between all of the attacks?!) its at least kind of fun and domestic, which is certainly better than just running from plot point to plot point that leads nowhere. 

Its pretty rich of Regina to be lecturing Zelena about how much she sucks when Regina deciding to create her own evil clone created so many problems not long ago.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, Shanna Marie said:

The Black Fairy should have been a really fun villain, but as much as they talk about how terrible and dark she is, she's actually rather boring and doesn't do all that much.

I don't know what it was, but I wanted to turn the TV off whenever she started talking.  The character was just so tedious.  It's also telling this was one of the few "original" characters they had as a villain without well-known Disney or literary elements to feature and she was bland as hell.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Camera One said:

I don't know what it was, but I wanted to turn the TV off whenever she started talking.  The character was just so tedious.  It's also telling this was one of the few "original" characters they had as a villain without well-known Disney or literary elements to feature and she was bland as hell.  

A&E kept writing scenery chewing villains that were "deliciously evil", but that doesn't always make a good villain. You can make someone like the Black Fairy peace around in an elaborate Halloween costume while also having nuance. BF wasn't just some random Disney icon. She was hyped as integral to the show's mythology. She doesn't have to be super complex or sympathetic, she just needs motives that make sense. But, again, we have a character that is plot driven and only does what the plot requires them to do.

Spoiler

It gets worse with Drizella and Rapunzel in S7.

• Love 1