Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Lettuce Turnip On Thyme For Chat

• Start Topic

On 8/7/2017 at 10:30 AM, smiley13 said:

Did you steam or boil them first?

Boiled them for a minute first. Let them cool down before marinating in the seasoning. They were small shrimp, your cooking/boiling time may vary due to size.

• Love 1

Thanks everyone! Keep all collective fingers crossed today, we're going to apply for a mortgage. Found a really sweet house right in town, quiet neighborhood where my husband lived as a boy. The library is one street up, and the police dept. too.

• Love 5

That replay of David reacting to the peanuts in Jason's dish made me laugh. He may have a serious allergy (which is nothing to casually dismiss) but I suspect it's more on the level of my allergy to tree nuts (walnuts, pecans etc.)

When I eat tree nuts my mouth starts to itch. Nothing more than that and certainly nothing life threatening, but noticeable. The weird thing is that it wasn't until I was in my forties that I realized it was an allergic reaction! I just thought that was the way it was for everybody. Even though I have an allergy, I am not going to give up things like pecan pie and baklava because they are soooo good.

I'm sitting here eating my personal concoction of nuts that I roast in the oven for 10 minutes, and while they are hot I toss them with butter, brown sugar, finely chopped rosemary and some cayenne. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat nuts.

The house we looked at is a no-go. The guy wouldn't budge on price, and it's not worth as high as he's asking. On to the next one....

We found a house!! I have never in my life had to deal with the amount of paperwork to buy a house, thanks to the crash in 2008, and the things underwriters must have. But it’s great.... 2,300 sq ft, big fenced-in yard for the dog, and I will need to learn to ride a mower. LOL, I don’t expect my husband to do all the work. The inside needs paint, carpet, trim, etc... and I was thinking.... do those DYI and Fixer Upper shows do those homes at their cost? My husband is a contractor and could to it all himself, but it would take longer. 

We close next month and will be moving in by the 21st.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

We found a house!! I have never in my life had to deal with the amount of paperwork to buy a house, thanks to the crash in 2008, and the things underwriters must have. But it’s great.... 2,300 sq ft, big fenced-in yard for the dog, and I will need to learn to ride a mower. LOL, I don’t expect my husband to do all the work. The inside needs paint, carpet, trim, etc... and I was thinking.... do those DYI and Fixer Upper shows do those homes at their cost? My husband is a contractor and could to it all himself, but it would take longer. 

Congratulations! After I retired, I took the training to get a MD real estate license just for something to do. A few years later we moved to our forever house, and it was the 1st time I understood exactly what all the forms I signed were for. We took out a token mortgage, and couldn't believe the hoops the mortgage company made us go through, since we had enough money if we decided to cash in some accounts to pay cash for the house.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Congrats. Sounds like you had a great summer!

We’re using my husband’s bank. So, they have all of his records, etc. Today, the girl in Raleigh asked me to give her a front/back photo of a check of his, and a copy of the deposit slip. Can’t she see that on the computer??? LOL, little stuff like that.  I built a house 20 years ago and was in the bank once, and the closing attorney’s office at the end. It was nothing like today.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Congrats. Sounds like you had a great summer!

HA, you said it!! We ran into a high school teacher who had both of us in class (6 years apart) and she asked how married life was treating us. “Um, well... (waving paperwork) we’re buying a house!” She laughed and said, “I think you’re firmly entrenched for life now.” :)

My PBS station ran an episode of "The French Chef" with Julia Child where she made Quiche Lorraine. First, I haven't made a pastry crust from scratch for over 20 years, but watching her made me think I need to do it again. Second, I turned to my husband and said "She'd never make it on FNS". Hah! The woman who started it all.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, chessiegal said:

I haven't made a pastry crust from scratch for over 20 years

I LOVE making pastry for pies, especially using my late mother's pastry cutter.  I also love rolling the dough.  Unfortunately, I can't do either anymore since I broke my back (and most of the rest of my bones) in a serious fall.  Rolling the dough sends my back into spasms, and also I can't stand for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Now I depend on store bought if I can't get my husband to make one of his good ones.  The store-bought are OK but not nearly as good as homemade, IMHO.  You do so much cooking and baking, Chessie, that I'll bet you'd make good pastry crusts.

Edited by Lura