Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Lettuce Turnip On Thyme For Chat

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ana strikes me as having a little of "the devil may care" attitude. I can picture her in high school being the #1 female prankster.  Dare her to do something, and she'll do it twice.  I like Ana very much and think she'd have a good show.  I think she knew better than to be driving without a license, but it's just her nature to tempt the fates.  I agree, cooksdelight, not smart.

Edited by Lura
(edited)
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Google "Giada" and "John Mayer" for some R-rated fun.

Good grief. Is there anyone John Mayer hasn't had?

I guess she should be glad he wasn't scheduled to do any interviews.

Though the loss is ours.

Except for the room service call...

Edited by NewDigs

The most surprising thing in that article is she's a lawyer!

I loved the paragraph at the end of the article:

"The grand irony of Quincoces' apparent inability to understand basic law regarding driver's license suspension is that she is indeed a lawyer by trade. She's also a cookbook author and "chef," but who isn't these days? "  (my bold)

Hah! 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, xaxat said:

@Blonde Gator and @wings707 Those of us in the frozen north have fruit as well!

This fall, I will probably have peaches, apples and (if I can fight off the damn blue jays) blue berries for pie season!

Of course you do.  I was lamenting that I cannot get mangoes or plantains in Phoenix.   I spent my entire adult life in MA and got more vegs and fruit that I can get here.  

7 hours ago, wings707 said:

Of course you do.  I was lamenting that I cannot get mangoes or plantains in Phoenix.   I spent my entire adult life in MA and got more vegs and fruit that I can get here.  

I didn't know you were from MA.  I have lived in CT for 25 years and there's not a lot of fruit and veg. we don't get.  That's interesting about the relative lack of that stuff in Phoenix.  Do you know if that's true in most of the Southwest?  How about the availability of fresh seafood?  We've been considering different areas of the country to retire to, and of course being foodies we would be interested in such information.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I didn't know you were from MA.  I have lived in CT for 25 years and there's not a lot of fruit and veg. we don't get.  That's interesting about the relative lack of that stuff in Phoenix.  Do you know if that's true in most of the Southwest?  How about the availability of fresh seafood?  We've been considering different areas of the country to retire to, and of course being foodies we would be interested in such information.

I miss New England for the food, sophistication, politics and culture.   There are pockets of places in the southwest where you can survive being foodies, Santa Fe and Taos NM to name two.  Still not the same.  

All seafood is frozen out here and the variety and quality is limited.  Whole Foods is the only place  I to go for that.  I lived in FL for 12 years before moving here.  That is not a Mecca for foodies but fresh warm water fish is available. Most seafood is frozen  right on the boat anyway but the quality found in the north east cannot be equaled.  I have not been to the Pacific Northwest, but I hear that is a fabulous place to live for these reasons.  It boils down to the weather for me.  I love the dry climate here.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I miss New England for the food, sophistication, politics and culture.   There are pockets of places in the southwest where you can survive being foodies, Santa Fe and Taos NM to name two.  Still not the same.  

All seafood is frozen out here and the variety and quality is limited.  Whole Foods is the only place  I to go for that.  I lived in FL for 12 years before moving here.  That is not a Mecca for foodies but fresh warm water fish is available. Most seafood is frozen  right on the boat anyway but the quality found in the north east cannot be equaled.  I have not been to the Pacific Northwest, but I hear that is a fabulous place to live for these reasons.  It boils down to the weather for me.  I love the dry climate here.  

Thanks, Wings, I've been to the PNW a few times to both Washington and Oregon and have LOVED it in a lot of ways especially the food scene.  The seafood is great.  I can even tolerate some of the pizza there, LOL.  The only issues are from a weather/cost of living perspective.  But if I were to make the decision based on the food, culture and beautiful scenery, the PNW would win hands down.

How about Las Vegas?  I'm thinking perhaps because there are a lot of prime restaurants there there has to be better food available.  Or maybe that's just in the restaurants.  I've been there 3 times most recently about 10 years ago.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Thanks, Wings, I've been to the PNW a few times to both Washington and Oregon and have LOVED it in a lot of ways especially the food scene.  The seafood is great.  I can even tolerate some of the pizza there, LOL.  The only issues are from a weather/cost of living perspective.  But if I were to make the decision based on the food, culture and beautiful scenery, the PNW would win hands down.

How about Las Vegas?  I'm thinking perhaps because there are a lot of prime restaurants there there has to be better food available.  Or maybe that's just in the restaurants.  I've been there 3 times most recently about 10 years ago.

Weather is what got me to FL and family got me here with weather a primary consideration.  Though I would move to the PNW in a heartbeat if one of my sons relocated there.  

I know nothing about Las Vegas other than I did have a couple of lousy meals there in famous restaurants.  It would be the same, no good seafood as any land locked place would be.  I would not want to live there from what I have heard.  It is just a normal town, the strip being a small part of it.  A friend of mine was born and raised there.  He left and never went back!  

What is the pizza like in the PNW?  I have to know!  

Edited by wings707
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Weather is what got me to FL and family got me here with weather a primary consideration.  Though I would move to the PNW in a heartbeat if one of my sons relocated there.  

I know nothing about Las Vegas other than I did have a couple of lousy meals there in famous restaurants.  It would be the same, no good seafood as any land locked place would be.  I would not want to live there from what I have heard.  It is just a normal town, the strip being a small part of it.  A friend of mine was born and raised there.  He left and never went back!  

What is the pizza like in the PNW?  I have to know!  

Yeah, I've heard some bad stuff about the Vegas area too although some people glow about Hendersonville.  I really have no clue.  I've had a couple of good meals there at famous chef restaurants but nothing spectacular. 

I was directed to a couple of pizza restaurants in Seattle by an acquaintance there that has relatives in the Northeast and lived here for a while, so I considered him a good authority.  Both places were good replicas of northeast pizza but again not spectacular.  I can't explain why but there was just something missing.  It's just that I've had horrible pizza out west so these places were a pleasant surprise.  I can't remember their names and this was 11 years ago now.  From what I've seen on TV I can imagine that the PNW has much better pizza now. 

• Love 1

Vegemite, truffles, baklava...the wonderful world of food.

If it weren't so damn hot I'd suggest all us serious foodies grab our pitchforks and storm FN's HQ.  We know what we want!  We want what they used to be.  Same as SciFi (not "SyFy" blargh), History Channel, A&E with Bill Kurtis all day, and Court TV (again, not "TruTv blargh).

Yeesh - I've been reduced to actually talking to my husband.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2017 at 0:48 PM, spiderpig said:

Vegemite, truffles, baklava...the wonderful world of food.

If it weren't so damn hot I'd suggest all us serious foodies grab our pitchforks and storm FN's HQ.  We know what we want!  We want what they used to be.  Same as SciFi (not "SyFy" blargh), History Channel, A&E with Bill Kurtis all day, and Court TV (again, not "TruTv blargh).

Yeesh - I've been reduced to actually talking to my husband.

Lol!  I want court TV back!  

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Depression-era cooking is fascinating.  My favorite grandma-treat was molasses cookies, made without eggs or butter.  She also rolled them out on used Wonder Bread wax paper wrappers.  Feeding a family of six on no money and ration books inspired a lot of creativity.

Yes.  this.  My mother grew up as the 7th of 8 children during the depression.  They ate a lot of canned salmon which was a dish for poor people.  To the end of her life, she hated and would never eat or order even the best Alaskan King Salmon, even though her daughters and grandchildren loved it.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, susannot said:

Yes.  this.  My mother grew up as the 7th of 8 children during the depression.  They ate a lot of canned salmon which was a dish for poor people.  To the end of her life, she hated and would never eat or order even the best Alaskan King Salmon, even though her daughters and grandchildren loved it.

I was a boomer myself, but to this day I hate pot roast.  My mother's recipe:  some cheap joint of beef, add Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, pour a teakettle of water over it, add carrots, onions and potatoes.  Cook covered at low heat in the oven until the protein resembles shoe laces.  Serve to poor innocent children.  Yuck.

• Love 5

Actually my mother hated cooking which is why I taught myself to cook at age 14. I Loved my Dad and felt sorry for him because he never received a home cooked birthday cake so I baked him an apple pie, his favorite, for his birthday, that I figured out all by myself.  I had watched my Grandma Minnie bake pies all of my life (she used lard and so My Grandpa died at age 70) so that's how I knew how to do it.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I was a boomer myself, but to this day I hate pot roast.  My mother's recipe:  some cheap joint of beef, add Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, pour a teakettle of water over it, add carrots, onions and potatoes.  Cook covered at low heat in the oven until the protein resembles shoe laces.  Serve to poor innocent children.  Yuck.

Your mother's recipe sounds fine.  Perhaps sear the beef on all sides first, use less liquid and beef stock instead of water, and cook for a shorter period?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, susannot said:

Actually my mother hated cooking which is why I taught myself to cook at age 14. I Loved my Dad and felt sorry for him because he never received a home cooked birthday cake so I baked him an apple pie, his favorite, for his birthday, that I figured out all by myself.  I had watched my Grandma Minnie bake pies all of my life (she used lard and so My Grandpa died at age 70) so that's how I knew how to do it.

Isn't it funny how many of our family memories revolve around food?  Actually, I guess it's not.  It was the centerpiece of family activity.  My Grandma was sturdily brand-loyal:  Spry shortening, 8 O'Clock Coffee, Sunsweet Prune Juice, Sealtest Vanilla Ice Cream (blue carton) with Hershey's canned chocolate syrup.  I don't think she owned a Pyrex-style measuring cup.  She had an old china teacup with a broken handle that she used for all her baking.  I learned a lot from that woman.

1 minute ago, susannot said:

Your mother's recipe sounds fine.  Perhaps sear the beef on all sides first, use less liquid and beef stock instead of water, and cook for a shorter period?

I love your optimism, @susannot.  Maybe I should cut mom a break and try it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Isn't it funny how many of our family memories revolve around food?  Actually, I guess it's not.  It was the centerpiece of family activity.  My Grandma was sturdily brand-loyal:  Spry shortening, 8 O'Clock Coffee, Sunsweet Prune Juice, Sealtest Vanilla Ice Cream (blue carton) with Hershey's canned chocolate syrup.  I don't think she owned a Pyrex-style measuring cup.  She had an old china teacup with a broken handle that she used for all her baking.  I learned a lot from that woman.

It is, and I love it, because that is the way  we show our families how much we love them.  Learning to cook for my Dad and knocking myself out to cook for my Navy son, whenever he comes home, just makes me happier than anything.  Navy son complains that my cooking may spoil his PFT but he has still always passed it with flying colors because he is a fit athletic guy.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I don't like pot roast either because, oddly, it is dry.  The little strings of meat are tough despite being cooked for hours.  I don't remember my mother making it.  She made short ribs, I remember that and make them myself.  Delicious!  

17 hours ago, susannot said:

17 hours ago, susannot said:

You might want to try it using a pressure cooker. They do wonders for cheap cuts of meat.

The discussion of the lethality of mango peels reminded me of a couple of season in Chopped were it seemed like Jeffery and Scott were regularly served things that could "kill" them. . . 

[Holds up habenero garnish] This could kill someone!

[Holds up bone from improperly cleaned fish.] This could kill someone!

[Holds up peanut.] If I were allergic, this could have killed me!

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I don't like pot roast either because, oddly, it is dry.  The little strings of meat are tough despite being cooked for hours.  I don't remember my mother making it.  She made short ribs, I remember that and make them myself.  Delicious!  

Hate to be off topic here, but if pot roast is dry, it was not prepared properly.  Cook it either in a crock pot or one of those oven cooking bags.  Pot roast should be so tender you can pull it apart with a fork.

Back to the show, at least we are rid of Chef Mama, Mama Chef.  Hopefully quirky Caodan will be next.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, smiley13 said:

Hate to be off topic here, but if pot roast is dry, it was not prepared properly.  Cook it either in a crock pot or one of those oven cooking bags.  Pot roast should be so tender you can pull it apart with a fork.

Back to the show, at least we are rid of Chef Mama, Mama Chef.  Hopefully quirky Caodan will be next.  

The cut of meat is key, it has to have a good fat content.  Some ignore this aspect and end up with it as I described whether in pressure cooker or dutch oven.  

Speaking of memories: When I was in Munich recently, I ate at a restaurant recommended by our native Munich tour guide. I ordered a beef dish, roast of some sort that was sliced into semi-circles, and the moment I bit into a slice I thought "I've eaten this before."  I figured that my grandmother must have fixed this for us when we used to visit back in the 60s. I can't think of who else would have cooked it or where else I would have eaten it that would have given me that instant food memory.

My grandfather used to lay out huge batches of corn cobs in the upstairs of their home, to dry. I didn't know why at the time, but then later I realized it's what they made their corn meal from. Nothing could beat my grandmother's corn bread. I buy white stone ground corn meal now just for corn bread.

I find myself doing things the "modern way" that my grandparents and parents did without realizing it. I grow a lot of herbs, and I grind them in my food processor with a little water, put them in ice cube trays and save them for winter when fresh herbs are not plentiful. I save seeds on paper towels, dried and tucked away until spring when it's time to plant again.

My dad makes this incredible zucchini relish that's better than anything I've ever tasted anywhere. He has severe arthiritis in his hands now, and I told him, "Hey, no problem, I have a grater attachment for my food processor and I can grate them in minutes when you're ready." I'll take some photos when I do this, as his relish is a work of art. :)

Someone mentioned on the Glampy thread about Matthew being a ginormous asshole.

Which got me to thinking.

What with all the southern chefs this season, and Jason and his Southern schtick, and making a dish that's so tasty all ya'll gonna slap yo' brains with yo' tongue and so forth....

I once met a lady named Betty Lou Rose, a Southern Lady of a certain age.  I was complaining to her about a meeting I'd had to attend, at the Yacht Club, with a bunch of rich old snobs.  She looked at me, and said "Well, honey, don't mind them, they're just the epitome of assholery" in an accent that makes Jason sound like a bad imitation.

I'd be happy to lend Jason that line, if he promises to use it on Matthew at an opportune time.  "Why, Matthew, aren't you just the epitome of assholery?"  In fact, that line would have been perfect in the stew room, after Matthew so rudely cut in to Addie's presentation.  Even better yet, would have been Demaris at the Judges' Table, delivering that line while critiquing that team's performance, going down the line, and delivering the counting coup line on Matthew's over eager, slavering head.

3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Who, besides me, likes coleslaw on their hot dogs? I wrap my dogs in bacon before grilling, so they have that lucious crispy coat. 

Actually, I have hot dogs on my mind.  I grew up around the Capital District of upstate NY (Albany/Schenectady/Troy).  The particular hot dog micro climate there is summarized here.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/troy-albany-new-york-mini-dogs-albany-troy.html

I haven't lived there for many years, but travel through there more often than I'd like and the dogs are one good reason to stop if possible.  I'm partial to Famous Lunch, myself, but you can only buy their sauce to go at the source, which means it comes off the pot warm.  (From my last trip through last year, though, they serve the dogs with coffee at 10am and they are the breakfast of champions.) Hot sauce is good if you're just going home, but I had 500 more miles to do the day I came through.  So I got a shelf-stable jar of Hot Dog Charlie's version of the fabled sauce at the supermarket.  I haven't had HDCharlie's in a while, but remember Famous Lunch as having a bit more grit in the grooves.  I'll find out tomorrow anyway - I can't get the pinky-sized dogs which are such an essential part of the experience, but we'll slather mustard and onions on some good natural casing franks and see if it matches up to my fondest memories.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Stealing that.

Be my guest.  "Well, honey, isn't that just the epitome of assholery?".   Just say it a few times, with a nice, treacly southern accent....and you'll never forget it either, spiderpig!

Edited by Blonde Gator
13 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Be my guest.  "Well, honey, isn't that just the epitome of assholery?".   Just say it a few times, with a nice, treacly southern accent....and you'll never forget it either, spiderpig!

Well bless your heart! :-)

• Love 1

For all my food friends here, today was a very happy day! My new husband took off his jacket and tie in fear I'd wallop him with cake! HA!! Please note the sock monkey groom, who had a bride off camera.... I've been collecting them for years. :)

IMG_2708.JPG

• Love 16

All the best wishes to you, Cooksdelight!  Thanks for sharing this great photo -- happy couple, gorgeous cake, beautiful dress, cute action shot of you and your new groom!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

A few photos.... my good friend did our wedding cake and it was so moist and delicious. Coconut is my husband's favorite. We had around 100 guests, several ladies from our church brought sandwiches and pasta salad that were added to the table after I took these. The triangular sandwiches were for the kids, and big kids with a sweet tooth... cinnamon swirl bread with peanut butter and my homemade blueberry jam inside. The tomato/basil/mozzarella sticks were made with tomatoes and basil from my garden. We had two kinds of buffalo wings with homemade blue cheese dipping sauce. I made all the dips myself. People said I was crazy to do this but from the comments I received, it was the best idea.

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

• Love 8
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Aww, cooks - I always cry at weddings!

Does this mean you'll be too busy to charm us with your snark?

Never!! We're taking a honrymoon in winter when he's not swamped with work. He's a contractor, does home renovations, painting, etc.

12 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Congratulations!  How were the shrimp prepared?

I tossed them with Old Bay and meyer lemons for 24 hours. Made cocktail sauce using ketchup, horseradish, worcestshire and lemon juice.

• Love 2