Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music, Y'all!

• Start Topic

PBS is airing a preview show for the Ken Burns series "Country Music" tonight, along with a concert from the Ryman.  I posted this in the series thread, but figured I'd give peeps here a heads up.  Check your local listings! 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ebk57 said:

PBS is airing a preview show for the Ken Burns series "Country Music" tonight, along with a concert from the Ryman.  I posted this in the series thread, but figured I'd give peeps here a heads up.  Check your local listings! 

Damn, I missed it! I'll have to look it up for later. Thanks, though! I can't wait for the series to officially begin! :) 

• Love 1

Late to the party on this one, but Little Big Town's newest single, "Over Drinking", is out now. It's the lead single for their album Nightfall, which will be released on January 17th, 2020. They will be going on a theater tour for this album, with the January 16th show--the night before the album is released--taking place at New York City's historic Carnegie Hall.

• Love 3

Some of these choices are erratic AF. (Also, spoiler alert: I already know the song ranked number one--some of y'all are going to be REALLY pissed. The top ten is mostly solid, but at least two songs stick out in a bad way. Sadly, the number one song belongs in that latter category, albeit not quite as badly as the other song, although it still shouldn't be quite so high--somewhat high, but not at number one. But hey, I'm committed to sharing the rest of this with you guys, so let's go!)

#840: Uncle Kracker--"Smile"

#839: Patty Loveless--“How Can I Help You Say Goodbye”

#838: Don Gibson--“Sea of Heartbreak”

#837: Justin Moore--“If Heaven Wasn’t So Far Away”

#836: Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings--“There Ain’t No Good Chain Gang”

#835: Brooks & Dunn, “Only in America”

#834: Lee Brice--“Parking Lot Party”

#833: Bill Anderson and the Po’ Boys--“Bright Lights and Country Music”

#832: Florida Georgia Line--“Round Here”

#831: Ronnie Milsap--“She Keeps the Home Fires Burning”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/09/09/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-840-831/

Edited by UYI
11 minutes ago, Babalu said:

So I’m guessing the #1 song isn’t Patsy Cline’s “Crazy,” like I was hoping, huh?

It's not, though "Crazy" does finish VERY close to the top. 

Once again, a few days behind on this, but here we go:

#830: The Band Perry--“All Your Life”

#829: Patsy Cline--“Faded Love”

#828: John Anderson--“Swingin’”

#827: Randy Houser--“We Went”

#826: Emmylou Harris--“Two More Bottles of Wine”

#825: Toby Keith--“He Ain’t Worth Missing”

#824: Kenny Chesney--“Keg in the Closet”

#823: Rhett Akins--“That Ain’t My Truck”

#822: Jerry Lee Lewis--“What’s Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me)”

#821: Alabama--“Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/09/13/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-830-821/

• Love 1
17 hours ago, UYI said:

#828: John Anderson--“Swingin’”

The CU folks are right -- you absolutely must pronounce this "Swaangin'".

Speaking of John Anderson, I wonder if "Straight Tequila Night" is on the list.  I love that song.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The CU folks are right -- you absolutely must pronounce this "Swaangin'".

Speaking of John Anderson, I wonder if "Straight Tequila Night" is on the list.  I love that song.

I love John Anderson so much. And like one of them said, he is VERY underrated.

I would think STN has to be on the list--I'm also hoping for "Seminole Wind". 

• Love 2

After a few busy days at work, I return to y'all with not one, but TWO new additions to the Sirius XM list!

#820: Blake Shelton featuring Gwen Sebastian--“My Eyes”

#819: Tammy Wynette--“He Loves Me All the Way”

#818: Montgomery Gentry--“If You Ever Stop Loving Me”

#817: Garth Brooks--“She’s Every Woman”

#816: Luke Bryan--“Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye”

#815: Mark Chesnutt--“Too Cold at Home”

#814: Jessi Colter--“I’m Not Lisa”

#813: Shania Twain--“No One Needs to Know”

#812: Kip Moore--“Beer Money”

#811: Brad Paisley--“Waitin’ On a Woman”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/09/17/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-820-811/

#810: Ned Miller--“From a Jack to a King”

#809: Trace Adkins--“(This Ain’t) No Thinkin’ Thing”

#808: Tim McGraw--“Watch the Wind Blow By”

#807: Sawyer Brown--“Thank God For You”

#806: Lonestar--“What About Now”

#805: Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius--“I Don’t Want to Have to Marry You”

#804: Eli Young Band--“Drunk Last Night”

#803: The Kentucky Headhunters--“Dumas Walker”

#802: Kenny Chesney--“You Save Me”

#801: The Statler Brothers--“Bed of Rose’s”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/09/19/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-810-801/

• Love 1

We finally have another edition to the Sirius XM list!

#800: Florida Georgia Line--“Dirt”

#799: George Strait--“One Night at a Time”

#798: Carrie Underwood--“Blown Away”

#797: Red Steagall--“Lone Star Beer and Bob Wills Music”

#796: Zac Brown Band--“Goodbye in Her Eyes”

#795: Aaron Tippin--“Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly”

#794: Alan Jackson--“Drive (For Daddy Gene)”

#793: Garth Brooks--“Two of a Kind, Workin’ On a Full House”

#792: Taylor Swift--“Love Story”

#791:  Johnny Rodriguez--“Pass Me By (If You’re Only Passing Through)"

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/10/08/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-800-791/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

We finally have another edition to the Sirius XM list!

I'm glad it's back, even though it's largely yet another collection of songs I either don't like, don't know, or am "meh" about. 

I simply can't with Aaron Tippin's “Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly” or Florida Georgia Line's anything, and "One Night at a Time" is fine - and is in my head now - but George Strait has many better songs that could have been slotted here instead.

I wasn't familiar with Carrie Underwood's "Blown Away," but based on the two "too low" opinions, I checked it out.  I'm definitely not, well, blown away, but I'm also quite sure, based on what has been listed so far, that it will be better than a lot of what's ranked above it, so it probably is indeed too low.

Next up:

#790: Gary Allan--“Best I Ever Had”

#789: John Anderson--“Seminole Wind”

#788: Blake Shelton--“Home”

#787: Eddie Rabbitt--“Step By Step”

#786: Gloriana--“(Kissed You) Goodnight”

#785: Jerry Lee Lewis--“Chantilly Lace”

#784: Sugarland--“Want To”

#783: Shenandoah--“Next to You, Next to Me”

#782: Kenny Chesney--“I Lost it”

#781: Little Jimmy Dickens--“May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/10/13/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-790-781/

• Love 2
On 10/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, UYI said:

Next up:

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/10/13/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-790-781/

I am enjoying the commentary for these although I'm going to crack and go look at the list and see how enraged I get at the top songs.

I love the repeated complaints of 'recency bias' as well as the commentary about country music's 'toxic masculinity' especially in this current era of ball cap wearing dude bros who all look the same.

• Love 1

OH. MY. GODS.

I just read the CU commentary on the last group posted here and saw there was a link to the next ten, and Hank Williams's "Lovesick Blues" is only #774.

Let that sink in for a moment: There are over 750 songs ranked above it by the dudebros at Sirius. 

Since I'm looking right at it, I'll save @UYI a post.  Here are the next ten:

#780 - Tracy Lawrence, “Paint Me a Birmingham”

#779 - George Strait, “The Fireman”

#778 - Miranda Lambert, “Heart Like Mine”

#777 - Bill Anderson, “Still”

#776 - Brad Paisley, “The World”

#775 - Restless Heart, “I’ll Still Be Loving You”

#774 - Hank Williams, “Lovesick Blues”

#773 - Tim McGraw, “Southern Voice”

#772 - Lonestar, “My Front Porch Looking In”

#771 - Hank Williams Jr., “Born to Boogie”

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

OH. MY. GODS.

I just read the CU commentary on the last group posted here and saw there was a link to the next ten, and Hank Williams's "Lovesick Blues" is only #774.

Let that sink in for a moment: There are over 750 songs ranked above it by the dudebros at Sirius. 

The commentary for this one is magnificent. 'It isn't just that it's too low, it's that the placement is flat-out ignorant.'

That ain't shade. That's a fucking murder.

As for the list... hoo boy. I went and looked it all up (knew it wouldn't take long) and despite everything the fact that That Fucking Song got number one still somehow floored me. Like... a part of me gets it... but, at the same time, I don't understand the criteria of the selections so what is this based on? 'Folsom Prison Blues' or 'Crazy' at number one would have been just fine and I don't have any issue with 'Friends in Low Places' (aka That Fucking Song) in the Top Ten or anything. It was huge, I get it... but was it more important than any other?

How is George Strait's highest ranked song somewhere in the 40s?!

And, seriously, 'Lovesick Blues' being #774 is a fucking travesty.

• Love 3

Up next:

#770: Keith Urban--"Long Hot Summer"

#769: Mickey Gilley--“Room Full of Roses”

#768: Luke Bryan--“That’s My Kind of Night”

#767: Anne Murray--“Daydream Believer”

#766: Chad Brock--“Yes!”

#765: Garth Brooks--“Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)”

#764: George Jones--“If Drinkin’ Don’t Kill Me (Her Memory Will)”

#763: Carrie Underwood--“Good Girl”

#762: Emmylou Harris--“Save the Last Dance For Me”

#761: Alan Jackson--“Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/10/23/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-770-761/

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, UYI said:

#764: George Jones--“If Drinkin’ Don’t Kill Me (Her Memory Will)”

I.love.this.song.

The other nine, though - bleh.  Harris's cover of "Save the Last Dance For Me" is fine - dude, it's Emmylou Harris - but not memorable and doesn't deserve to be ranked.  Of course, it's better than a good percentage of what they've ranked thus far.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, Dandesun said:

As for the list... hoo boy. I went and looked it all up (knew it wouldn't take long) and despite everything the fact that That Fucking Song got number one still somehow floored me. Like... a part of me gets it... but, at the same time, I don't understand the criteria of the selections so what is this based on? 'Folsom Prison Blues' or 'Crazy' at number one would have been just fine and I don't have any issue with 'Friends in Low Places' (aka That Fucking Song) in the Top Ten or anything. It was huge, I get it... but was it more important than any other?

Damn, I did not want to know number one until it was revealed by the CU commentary.  Now that I do, I'll just issue a "What the actual fuck?" and save the rest for when I see the top ten as a whole.

• Love 2

Work kept me busy last week, so I only just saw this:

#760: Dixie Chicks--“Tonight the Heartache’s On Me”

#759: Darius Rucker--“This”

#758: Crystal Gayle--“Talking in Your Sleep”

#757: George Strait--“Wrapped”

#756: Trisha Yearwood--“How Do I Live”

#755: Reba McEntire & Kelly Clarkson--“Because of You”

#754: Oak Ridge Boys--“American Made”

#753: Gene Watson--“Farewell Party”

#752: Eric Church--“Smoke a Little Smoke”

#751: Alabama--“Tennessee River”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/10/29/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-760-751/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

#758: Crystal Gayle--“Talking in Your Sleep”

I agree with the CU commentary that this is ranked too highly compared to the Gayle songs left off the list. 

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#755: Reba McEntire & Kelly Clarkson--“Because of You”

I'm also with them that this doesn't belong.

Another meh set of ten songs; the only one I truly like is "Tonight the Heartache's On Me" (and there are a lot of Dixie Chicks songs even better than it which probably won't even be on this list, because it is wack).

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, UYI said:

Next up:

Apparently Little Jimmy Dickens was my grandfather's favorite singer.  Something I learned as a result of telling my mother about the Ken Burns documentary.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, Dandesun said:

I don't have any issue with 'Friends in Low Places' (aka That Fucking Song) in the Top Ten or anything

That is #1!!!!  God, I hate that song.  Garth Brooks, imo, is the epitome of what went wrong with country music in the 80s.

I don't know the Jason Aldean and Eric Church songs, but the most of the rest of the top ten is perfect.  (I'd probably change out Devil Went Down To Georgia, but maybe not.)  I'd move I Fall to Pieces up into it to replace the Garth Brooks abomination, and find some other songs to replace the 2 I don't know - Loretta Lynn and Hank Williams have tons of songs which would fit.

Overall, the list is very heavy on songs from the last few decades, most of which are perfectly forgettable.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

And we continue:

#750: Sugarland--“Settlin’”

#749: Porter Wagoner--“The Carroll County Accident”

#748: Ronnie Milsap--“Stranger in My House”

#747: Dustin Lynch--“Where it’s At”

#746: Jo Dee Messina--“Lesson in Leavin’”

#745: Brad Paisley--“Letter to Me”

#744: Roger Miller--“Do-Wacka-Do”

#743: Brooks & Dunn--“Play Something Country”

#742: The Judds--“Why Not Me”

#741: Toby Keith--“Whiskey Girl”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2019/11/11/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-750-741/

• Love 2

So the CMAs last night were based around the theme of celebrating legendary women in country music, what with Carrie hosting with Reba and Dolly, and the show itself opened with this great medley:

There was also another medley featuring the women of tomorrow:

...And then it ended on a very sour note as Carrie lost Entertainer of the Year to Garth Brooks, despite the fact that he played 12 shows all year with only one single to his name while she performed night after night on the biggest tour of her career that promoted her most recent album, which included three singles (and now has launched a fourth--her performance ROCKED, BTW, and proves my point that she deserved EOTY). Fuck that noise, and fuck Garth and his insane campaign for the award and his tone deaf speech. Gross. At least if Eric Church had won, I would have gotten it--he had a massive tour himself this year. But Garth? Fuck no. SMGDFH. 

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Anyplace discussing the CMA awards show last night?  Tia

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

One more thing:

Kacey Musgraves (your new CMA Female Vocalist of the Year, woo hoo!) and Willie Nelson performing "Rainbow Connection". Poor Willie, though, he sounded so rough. 😞

• Love 1
On 11/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, UYI said:

And we continue:

I hate Toby Keith on every level, so it's hard for me to be objective - and I had to go look that song up (bleh) - but the CU folks back me up on it being "so wrong".  And on Jo Dee Messina's cover of "Lesson in Leavin'" - which I also had to look up - being ranked too high, especially in light of Dottie West's original not even being on the list.

I think "Why Not Me", "The Carroll County Accident", and "Do-Waka-Do" are placed about right, and maybe "Stranger in my House", too (I wouldn't put it that high, but this list fucking sucks, so I'm not going to get fired up about something placed a little higher than it should be given the utter crap that shouldn't be ranked at all).

38 minutes ago, UYI said:

Fuck that noise, and fuck Garth and his insane campaign for the award and his tone deaf speech. Gross.

I'm not sure I even want to know what he said.  I can't stand that guy, and have no idea what Trisha Yearwood sees in him.

The industry has major problems if they're going to give women the stage for a night but still refuse to play their fucking songs on the radio and hand out the awards to undeserving men. 

But that opening medley was great, and I liked seeing people in the audience enjoying the hell out of it.

6 minutes ago, UYI said:

Poor Willie, though, he sounded so rough. 😞

Oh, crap, that was simultaneously beautiful and painful to watch.  I found this article about it:

However it was fair to say that happiness and appreciation for Willie Nelson’s presence on the usually contemporary-minded and pop-oriented CMA Awards turned to concern when Willie Nelson started attempting to sing, and was clearly struggling for breath. Fans of Willie who have seen him perform lately know that he can sometimes be a little breathy, which at 86-years-old, is completely understandable. But his struggles Wednesday night seemed especially concerning.

The truth is Willie Nelson has been struggling with his breathing issues for years, and at times it has resulted in some cancellations of shows around prolonged illnesses. In August, he had to postpone the final six shows of a tour with Alison Krauss due to breathing concerns. But then the news was that he’d recovered and was “doing great.” Willie resumed touring in September, and generally speaking, his performances have been fine, and there hasn’t been any widespread concerns or complaints beyond the obvious observations that he’s not as strong as he once was.

Part of what could be behind Willie’s struggles on the CMA Awards was that he normally doesn’t sing “Rainbow Connection.” Those who’ve seen Willie recently will tell you his set list is pretty regular, and this helps him know when to breathe, and how to sing the songs in his standard set list with his limited lung capacity.

Nonetheless, Willie Nelson’s mere presence on the CMA stage made you appreciate what a gift it is that we continue to get to share this mortal coil with not just a legend of country music, but someone recognized and revered around the world as a man of peace and wisdom. That’s also what causes an outpouring of love and concern for the 86-year-old when you see him struggle. Willie Nelson has said before that he wants to die on stage, and regardless of how breathy he may be, or how much he battles with his breathing issues, it appears nothing will keep him off the stage.

Watching Willie Nelson on the CMA Awards Wednesday night should not be a reason for folks to give pause or postpone their plans to see Willie Nelson live, especially if you’ve never seen him before. It’s underscores why you should not let that opportunity pass you by, whether it’s the first time, or the last time you will see him. Because this is Willie Nelson, and when he’s gone, the world will be an entirely different place, in country music and beyond. He won’t live forever, but he’s living right now, and future generations will look back with envy at the people who got to share the planet with Willie Nelson, and see him perform.

Bless.

Speaking of living legends, did anyone see the "Here She Comes Again" Dolly Parton special on ABC the other night?  There wasn't a whole lot to it, but I loved how into talking with her Robin Roberts was; her excitement made it fun.

• Love 4

Garth acknowledged the performances that night of Reba, Kelsea Ballerini and Luke Combs--which, fine, they all did great. But he noticeably did NOT acknowledge any of his fellow nominees for EOTY, including Carrie, who as one of the hosts was standing only a few feet away (and bless her, she put on a brave face, but you could tell she was crushed and she looked like she was starting to cry, too). And then, shortly after going backstage, he said this:

“The fact that it’s number seven and the fact that it came on the tribute to women night, being married to one of the greatest female singers ever, being the father of three daughters...this is very special.” -Garth Brooks, Entertainment Tonight

Just...UGH. 

• Love 2

I missed Little Big Town performing.  They only got a small bite of the Apple with Girl Crush.  When they sang Wichita Lineman a couple of years ago I hummed it for weeks!h

Didn't care for Carrie's song and performance.  She's so much bigger than that based on the last four of five CMA award shows where she was outstanding.

Blake and Gwen are an interesting couple and Miranda was right after him!

Nicole Kidman trying to act Country with her rocker husband turning Country husband are interesting watching.

So many of these young entertainers are unfamiliar to me but I surely do love country!

I was country when country wasn't cool!!!

3 hours ago, UYI said:

On a lighter note, Jennifer Nettles made a STATEMENT with her outfit the other night:

Whatever happened to Jennifer Nettles?  She was not then she had the baby and was gone!

She was surely over acting at the CMAs the other evening.  Almost silly.  I used to really like her and her sidekick.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I missed Little Big Town performing.  They only got a small bite of the Apple with Girl Crush.  When they sang Wichita Lineman a couple of years ago I hummed it for weeks!h

Didn't care for Carrie's song and performance.  She's so much bigger than that based on the last four of five CMA award shows where she was outstanding.

Blake and Gwen are an interesting couple and Miranda was right after him!

Nicole Kidman trying to act Country with her rocker husband turning Country husband are interesting watching.

So many of these young entertainers are unfamiliar to me but I surely do love country!

I was country when country wasn't cool!!!

Whatever happenennifer Nettles?  She was not then she had the baby and was gone!

She was surely over acting at the CMAs the other evening.  Almost silly.  I used to really like her and her sidekick.

Jennifer and Josh Groban recorded "99 Years" recently. Great duet.

• Love 2

I usually record the show & whirr through it, but almost every part of it was really engaging.  I even watched Maranda do her Car Wash song with her heavy accent ... is that for real?  Anyway, I thought the whole show was great & it was nice to see all the "originals".

• Love 2