Type keyword(s) to search

Home Fires - General Discussion

Milz
  • Start Topic

Oh, so that was the butcher's house. This series was pretty grim all the way around, but of course, it is war time. If the series had continued, I bet poor Mrs. butcher would have died and Mr. butcher would have a new baby to raise. And Pat's soldier is gone, so how would she ever get in touch with him again? Bob will be worse than ever now, since she told him how much she hated him and wanted to leave. Ughhhh.

• Love 1

Well I like to think that the only person who died was the butcher as he had been sent away from the main group for yelling his support too loudly.  Let Mrs. Bossypants feel guilty about that.

Bob may not have died, but I'm content to think the marriage is over now that Pat has told him exactly what she thinks of him.  I expect Pat to go live with Alison and Boris. Once the divorce is final Bob can hastily marry his soulmate, the obnoxious blond phone operator.  They can repent at leisure.

It already looks like Noah has sweetly wormed his way into his stepmother's heart.  He'll help her get over her hurt and anger.

You just know our red-lipstick lesbian is going to have an affair with the lady pilot and her husband will seek solace in the arms of the vicar's wife.

I would have liked to watch it all play out though.

For me, the best show on my  PBS (WOSU) Sunday night line up is A Place To Call Home.  I wish all of you got it so we could talk about it.

• Love 5

I love this series and the finale had me on the edge of my seat.  Poor Pat!  She finally got the courage to tell Bob off and then Marek left before she could reach him.  I did like the bond that was beginning between Frances and little Noah (who has to be 5, not 11 as earlier storylines indicated).

Series creator Simon Block has a series of books coming out this summer/fall.  He is serializing them in 4 parts, and will be releasing the complete book in October.  They are already on Amazon -- Keep the Home Fires Burning by S. Block.  I will certainly read these to see what happens next.

• Love 7
(edited)

I guess the writer(s) were thinking that a season 3 was coming so that's why they left such a big hole in the story with the plane crashing into the doctor's house/surgery and leaving just a crying baby--who survived would have been left to which actors were coming back.   Were all the adults going to die, leaving poor damaged David to raise a newborn sibling?   Or would some survive and go on like so many had to do during the war?

So I guess if there isn't a season 3, I guess there will be some fan fiction being written! 

Edited to add, thanks for the heads up HelenCrump, that the series will continue in book for so now I don't have to go hunting around the interweb for bad fan fiction.  Hahahhaahah!

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Bob may not have died, but I'm content to think the marriage is over now that Pat has told him exactly what she thinks of him.  I expect Pat to go live with Alison and Boris. Once the divorce is final Bob can hastily marry his soulmate, the obnoxious blond phone operator.  They can repent at leisure.

Ha!  That would be a perfect match.  I would love to see them together.

• Love 1

I bet poor Mrs. butcher would have died and Mr. butcher would have a new baby to raise. And Pat's soldier is gone, so how would she ever get in touch with him again? Bob will be worse than ever now, since she told him how much she hated him and wanted to leave.

Dr. Will Campbell's lung cancer is in remission, but now he's showing signs of dementia. Perhaps he's killed in the Spitfire crash?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-08/the-creators-of-home-fires-on-what-would-have-happened-after-that-plane-crash

Spoiler

“Pat doesn’t manage to escape from Bob and her romance with Marek continues at a distance,” hints executive producer Francis Hopkinson. “We do lose a couple of much-loved characters who everyone’s grown to love and there is an illicit romance.”

Sorry this is done.  I have really enjoyed it.  I was sure that Pat was going to kill Bob the Monster in self-defense, then have a problem proving it in court since she had covered up his abuse for so many years.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, sinycalone said:

What couldn't Bob be standing outside the doctor's house?

I knew that Season 2 would be it and that we'd be stuck with a cliffhanger.  However, Bob is the part that pisses me off the most.  I wanted that man to fry!

I am surprised that ITV didn't do a season 3.  I knew that the ratings in Britain weren't fantastic, but I thought it might have fared better in international distribution---enough to warrant a third season.

That's been the case with the CBS show Elementary here in the States.  Its domestic ratings aren't terrific, but it's been renewed a couple of times because it does well in the international market.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Well I like to think that the only person who died was the butcher as he had been sent away from the main group for yelling his support too loudly.  Let Mrs. Bossypants feel guilty about that.

It already looks like Noah has sweetly wormed his way into his stepmother's heart.  He'll help her get over her hurt and anger.

You just know our red-lipstick lesbian is going to have an affair with the lady pilot and her husband will seek solace in the arms of the vicar's wife.

I would have liked to watch it all play out though.

For me, the best show on my  PBS (WOSU) Sunday night line up is A Place To Call Home.  I wish all of you got it so we could talk about it.

I loved Mr. Butcher, so I don't want to think of him as dead.

About A Place to Call Home: You can get Seasons 1-4 through a combination of Amazon and DVD.  That's how I watched it.

I'd also recommend The Doctor Blake Mysteries (Australian, like A Place to Call Home)

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't watched this episode yet and I'm a bit up in the air if I will. After reading the posts on here it sounds grim and depressing. 

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I was predicting that Teresa would cheat on Nick, but I assumed that it would happen while they were still dating. In a way I guess I'm happy that we don't have another season were I'd have to watch Teresa cheating on Nick and Nick turning to Sarah for comfort. I still do not understand why Nick would be interested in Sarah. Although, my opinion is colored since I hate how pushy Sarah has been about Noah.

4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

A Place To Call Home is on my local pbs station on Thursdays; I watched the first 2 seasons and really enjoyed the series, but then I stopped watching. I can't really remember why I stopped watching; I think maybe it was getting a bit to much like a soap opera. Idk I started not really caring about certain people.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Ohmo said:

Fireball, I don't think that you're being argumentative.  I love a good conversation.

I think the sale of the factory is ridiculous on Frances' part.  She said it herself.  She's doing it to get away from Noah.  She is threatened by a child, a child who can't hurt her in terms of business because he only holds 20% of the company.  She still holds the majority share and will unless she decides to do otherwise.  Noah is not an adult.  He certainly doesn't work there, so there is no reason for Frances to sell the factory.

You said it yourself in your quote. Noah REPRESENTS 11 years of betrayal, but Peter is the one who did the betraying. Trust me, I'm a big believer in payback, and if this were Peter, he would be groveling for a very long time, but Peter is dead.  He can't pay any more than he has.

I'm not saying that Frances should want a warm and cuddly relationship with Noah, and if Frances wants to sell the business, then sell it.  But it's coming across as "I'm so threatened by this child and I'm so pissed off at my philandering husband that I'm going to show him!  I'm going to sell the business.  So there!"  I think Frances is utterly enraged by Peter that she wants payback at all costs, but she is unwilling to direct her rage where it really belongs---at Peter, and she's willing to part with a business just to separate herself from an 11-year old child.  She can't even say his name half the time. I get it.  Frances is pissed, and she wants to punish Peter, but he's dead.

Let's say that Noah was the product of Peter's first marriage, and he had a wife who died before he met Frances.  What if he left the same 20% in his will then?  Would it be realistic to be upset at Noah because his father died in a car crash?  Of course not. He did not cause the crash anymore than he asked to be conceived. Yes, Frances was wronged, but it is HER problem if she chooses to place her rage and anger toward Noah.  No, I don't expect her to raise him, but I do expect her to be able to say his name without looking like she's going to spit venom.  She is coming across as combative and aggressive.  If this was a divorce court against Peter, I'd be among the first to say "Game on, Frances," but I don't agree with her current behavior toward a child who was incapable of making an active choice to hurt her.  Yes, it sucks, but Frances is the adult here.

Frances is entitled to her feelings.  This is an entirely different situation than it would be if Noah had been the product of a previous marriage because she would've known about that.  She had no idea about the affair until it was too late to vent any anger onto her husband and his mistress, and as long as she's not being unkind to Noah - which she isn't - I've got no problem with her not wanting to be around him.  And I was rather hoping it would stay that way, but alas, warm cuddly feelings are being forced in by the writers.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

She had no idea about the affair until it was too late to vent any anger onto her husband and his mistress, and as long as she's not being unkind to Noah - which she isn't - I've got no problem with her not wanting to be around him.  And I was rather hoping it would stay that way, but alas, warm cuddly feelings are being forced in by the writers.

The issue I have with Noah is how the writers decided to use the excuse of him being an evacuee as the reason that Frances took him in.  The oft mentioned comment to her that his house/street was destroyed, probably by her sister, to convince her to show the child some mercy. One child.  What about the other children on his street  or the hundreds in Liverpool?  Could they not have him as part of a group of children that came to her large house to escape the bombing?  Missed opportunity, writers.

I also take issue with Bob receiving an advance for a book on his experience at Dunkirk.  I have that correct, right, that is what is book is about?  If so, I doubt that the War Department would allow anything come out that they did not directly control.  I could see that deal being killed before he finished the next chapter.

• Love 3

The house damaged by the plane was the doctor's, not the butcher's. The doctor led everyone back to his place and instructed them to put the butcher's wife "into the surgery." Butcher-Dad was sent to the front parlor.

• Love 3
(edited)

Could they not have him as part of a group of children that came to her large house to escape the bombing?  Missed opportunity, writers.

Speaking of missed opportunities, wouldn't it have been lovely if Teresa's students had all stood up and sang at her wedding?

Are we to assume that the pilot of the Spitfire was already dead before it flew into East Paxton? Otherwise, wouldn't he have been trained to crash the plane into a field?  We just saw him fly other them.

Why didn't anyone at the wedding help Pat out when her husband was physically attacking her?

Is there any way the pilot of the down plane could have been the AWOL air man?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 6

Why did Mrs. Cameron/Francesca Annis accompany the Butcher's to Doctor's house to help with the birthing process? Did we know that she had midwife experience? Do the rich get to be anywhere they darn well please? I wondered if she was there as a red shirt (someone in a scene for the sole purpose of being killed so we all know the situation is really serious- on Star Trek they always wore red shirts.)

I loved Teresa's wedding dress? Is that what Alison and Teresa were whipping up over their laps in their living room?

I also loved the visual of that wedding dress in the crowd observing the downed plane....with the baby crying.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MaryHedwig said:

Are we to assume that the pilot of the Spitfire was already dead before it flew into East Paxton? Otherwise, wouldn't he have been trained to crash the plane into a field?  We just saw he fly other them.

Is there any way the pilot of the down plane could have been the AWOL air man?

That last explosion likely injured him as well as making it impossible for him to control where the plane landed whether it was by his injury or damage to the plane.

57 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Is that what Alison and Teresa were whipping up over their laps in their living room?

I believe it was the veil and they were adding the satin ribbon to the edges.

1 hour ago, MaryHedwig said:

Why didn't anyone at the wedding help Pat out when her husband was physically attacking her?

Consider the time and the setting, if someone did see something they may not wish to interfere between a husband and wife, say he was drinking to much, some excuse.  I think only the doctor's wife has a hint of how Pat has been abused.  Also, consider how the village would react upon learning that Pat was being unfaithful.  A sad comment on the times that regardless of what he has done, her infraction would be considered the greater.

• Love 9

I had no idea the show had been canceled before I came here after the episode. Argh!

I'm pretty sure the butcher died in the crash, since it hit into the front of the house and that's where he was. I also suspect the doctor's wife died. The doctor wouldn't, since the hints of his memory problems would have led into a storyline.

• Love 1

I've watched all series of A Place to Call Home on Acorn.  Enjoyed it a lot except lately it's turned very soap opera-ish.  I believe it's still available on Acorn if you have that service.  My local PBS is not showing it but maybe it will come. It's been renewed for another season as well.

I also didn't know Home Fires was cancelled until I came to this forum tonight.  Enjoyed this one too!

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, proserpina65 said:

Frances is entitled to her feelings.  This is an entirely different situation than it would be if Noah had been the product of a previous marriage because she would've known about that.  She had no idea about the affair until it was too late to vent any anger onto her husband and his mistress, and as long as she's not being unkind to Noah - which she isn't - I've got no problem with her not wanting to be around him.  And I was rather hoping it would stay that way, but alas, warm cuddly feelings are being forced in by the writers.

The site ate my other post responding to Ohmo, and I've been swamped with work which is why I haven't rewritten it.  But I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with what you said. Frances is entitled to her feelings; I feel like her actions/feelings are very believable for someone finding out that their husband had been having a long time affair and not being able to vent their anger at either Peter or Helen.  I also was hoping that writers wouldn't go the route of Frances realizing she has warm cuddly feeling towards Noah. 

• Love 1

Well I watched the finale last Wed; I agree with everyone that it was grim. I'm actually glad that I had read about the plane crashing and that Bob didn't die. If I had gone into watching this episode not knowing those things I would have been really ticked off.

I really don't understand writers going the cliff hanger route if there is a chance that they might not get renewed.  I have to say even if the show had gotten renewed I'm not sure that I would have been back; I can see where the storylines would go next season and I can't say that I would be interested in watching any of them.

• Teresa cheating on Nick with the pilot
  • Nick turning to Sarah for comfort
  • Sarah struggling with wanting to cheat (my guess is the writers would have Sarah get some letter indicating her husband had died)
  • Sarah's husband of course will return when Sarah becomes close to Nick
  • Frances will grow to love Noah and will want to raise him which will lead to conflicts between her and Noah's grandfather
  • Alison will struggle with her role in what happened to the factory and might consider suicide again
  • Bob will continue to be a horrible human being
  • Pat I'd like to see stand on her on two feet but the show would probably make her get back together with Bob for drama
  • Laura will get into a love triangle with David & Tom
  • And Bryn will die because Miriam can't be happy for more than an episode. 

On to the episode:

I was impressed that Teresa & Alison were able to sew that wedding dress so quickly! I usually don't like long sleeved wedding dresses, but I thought that one was quite pretty.

The conversation between Teresa & the pilot had me hoping the writers wouldn't have Teresa cheat if there was another season. Also I feel like I must have missed something how did the pilot know that Teresa was a lesbian? All I remember is that Teresa was introduced to the lady pilot at the dance and then they shared some glances when Teresa was biking. I guess the Lady pilot (does she have a name?) just has very good instincts? 

I was disappointed that Nick went to Sarah instead of confiding in Teresa. I'm sure I'm supposed to take that as an indication that Sarah is his soulmate, but I'm going to pretend that Nick really didn't want to burden Teresa with his problems right before the wedding. I was a bit happy that Nick was pissed off at Sarah for hiding the deserter; I honestly thought the writers would have him realize that Sarah was just trying to help in her own way and he was really only pissed off because Sarah didn't trust him with the truth. (That would probably be a storyline for next season)

Sarah's green eyed monster was on full display this episode; she really didn't want to lend Steph her good tablecloth and that look in the chapel was full of jealousy imo. 

Frances of course comes around to liking Noah. Ugh I knew it was coming since we heard the 20% went to an unnamed person, but I was hoping the writers would go a different way. 

Frances & Alison-- wow I felt bad for Alison. Frances has every right to be mad at Alison, but she wouldn't even let her try and explain. I felt like Frances was venting more than just her anger at Alison. Her whole I don't know how you can show your face in this town was really hurtful. If there was another season I would be concerned about Alison hurting herself.

The doctor losing his memory was odd; obviously it’s a reaction to the treatment he’s getting setting up the drama for next season of does he continue with the treatment and risk losing more of is memory or does he stop the treatments.

Everyone being surprised that Frances wasn’t interacting with Noah was annoying. We’ve never seen Frances interact with kids maybe she’s just doesn’t like kids there are people who just don’t likes kids or want to play with them; also hello there’s the whole thing with the factory going on maybe Frances just has better things to do than play with a kid.

Spencer being annoyed that Clair had to watch Noah had me scratching my head a bit. Frances pays Clair if Frances now decides she wants Clair to watch Noah instead of cleaning the house I don’t see what the big deal is. Or maybe Clair was supposed to be doing her normal jobs on top of watching Noah. I guess if that was the case then I see way Spencer would be a bit annoyed.

I totally thought Frances was out of line with trying to get Spencer & Clair to take Noah with them. I was so hoping that Frances would drop off Noah on Sarah since she was happy that there was still a piece of Peter on this earth.

The plane crash I guess I was supposed to assume Jenny was on the line with the pilot? Maybe that incident would make her change and become more likable. I doubt it. Also Idk but I just assumed the deserter that was hiding at Sarah's was the pilot and that he purposely crashed the plane instead of having to go back to battle. 

So I guess Bryn died in the crash. I also agree with whoever said that it was odd the Joyce went with Bryn & Miriam to the doctors.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, Ohmo said:

I loved Mr. Butcher, so I don't want to think of him as dead.

About A Place to Call Home: You can get Seasons 1-4 through a combination of Amazon and DVD.  That's how I watched it.

I'd also recommend The Doctor Blake Mysteries (Australian, like A Place to Call Home)

I've never understood why there was no topic on here for A Place to Call Home.  I loved it.  It used to be on here but I haven't seen it in weeks, so not sure if my station just discontinued it or it is no longer on.  I will try Doctor Blake if I can find that one.  These and Home Fires are just so good, as is Call the Midwife.

Everyone being surprised that Frances wasn’t interacting with Noah was annoying. We’ve never seen Frances interact with kids maybe she’s just doesn’t like kids there are people who just don’t likes kids or want to play with them; also hello there’s the whole thing with the factory going on maybe Frances just has better things to do than play with a kid.

What people know is that Frances opened her home to a bombing victim. Since that victim is a child, of course she'd be expected to take care of him (which would involved interacting with him), otherwise, why open her home up to him at all? So from the outside, it's puzzling that she wouldn't want to have anything to do with the kid. So I would think she would've been considered rude for being so cold to a child who was separated from his family.

All I remember is that Teresa was introduced to the lady pilot at the dance and then they shared some glances when Teresa was biking. I guess the Lady pilot (does she have a name?) just has very good instincts?

Well, she's a woman in a man's job. She's in uniform. She knows people take notice of her for that and undoubtedly whisper behind her back. She knows that others probably suspect. Add to that the fact that you are gay, I would think your gaydar would go off when a woman is staring at you while she's dancing with someone else, and in other instances. It would've  made me wonder what was up.

Did anyone catch this yesterday? It was dated 5/17, so I think it's a new article. Could there be a glimmer of hope?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojito said:

What people know is that Frances opened her home to a bombing victim. Since that victim is a child, of course she'd be expected to take care of him (which would involved interacting with him), otherwise, why open her home up to him at all? So from the outside, it's puzzling that she wouldn't want to have anything to do with the kid. So I would think she would've been considered rude for being so cold to a child who was separated from his family.

It doesn't seem that strange to me for the period. People didn't always treat children like they do today. I feel like I've seen other WWII shows where well-off people with room to spare took in a child without taking care of the child, often with a servant being the only one who is nice to the poor kid. I think an early Foyle's War had a child who was running around unsupervised and no one cared where he was. And then he tripped an explosion. :(

• Love 2
On 5/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, cinsays said:

I've never understood why there was no topic on here for A Place to Call Home.  I loved it.  It used to be on here but I haven't seen it in weeks, so not sure if my station just discontinued it or it is no longer on.  I will try Doctor Blake if I can find that one.  These and Home Fires are just so good, as is Call the Midwife.

I believe that Amazon and Netflix both have Dr. Blake Seasons 1-3 available in the U.S.  My mother and I are impatiently waiting for Season 4 to appear in the States.

In terms of A Place to Call Home, unfortunately I think it'll be many months before Season 5 appears in the United States.

(edited)
On 5/9/2017 at 1:32 AM, Souris said:

I'm pretty sure the butcher died in the crash, since it hit into the front of the house and that's where he was.

i just watched it again - happened upon a repeat - o' joy! - and yes i have to agree - after the crash, we see very clearly the whole front room in flames, of course JUST after Bryn watched the plane crash into the steeple through those very windows, now burning.

man,  what a gyp!! i want the rest of this story!!! boo hiss!!

Edited by CathyS
  • Love 1

Finally got caught up on this. Man, I wish that plane or at least whatever fell off it had landed on ol' Bob. Awful for the butcher's and doctor's families.

Sad this isn't getting renewed. Too many loose storylines.

• Love 2

I have really been enjoying the books that have come out called "Keep the Home Fires Burning"  - I think there are four in all.  They are pretty well written and pick up exactly where the series leaves off.  

8 hours ago, captain1 said:

I have really been enjoying the books that have come out called "Keep the Home Fires Burning"  - I think there are four in all.  They are pretty well written and pick up exactly where the series leaves off.  

Can you share what happens?

@Constant Viewer there's probably too much to share, as pretty much each character's storyline continues - but I will say 

Spoiler

Everyone, including Mim's newborn, survives the crash, but Dr. Will Campbell is dying as inhaling all the toxins following the crash has really exacerbated his lung cancer.  Pat and Evil Bob had to go live with Joyce Cameron as their house was damaged in the crash.  Pat is fantasizing about killing Evil Bob, while Mrs. Cameron is gaga over having such a famous and talented writer in her home.  And many more things going on!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Sorry I added extra spoilery things - first time I've posted a spoiler and didn't quite know how!  You can get the books on Kindle - I think on October 16 they will be released as all one volume for like $6.00.

• Love 2

So, I am a little late to the game, but that has never stopped me from chiming in before. I loved this series, I mean really loved it. But, I was so disappointed with how it ended - and then was so thrilled to see that the stories would go in with the novellas. However, those are so poorly written, particularly the first one, that they are almost embarrassing to read.  I am most interested in Pat and Marek's story, and have noticed how they have dragged that one out brutally to keep me willing to buy another installment his fall. Grr. Usually, I expect more from British shows and writing. Ugh, so sad this could not get a third season. 

On the subject of all the women looking older than the men, I think we can chalk that up to the frumpy clothes, terrible hairstyles and unflatteringly bright lipstick caked on enough to wash almost all of them out. Take a look at Claire Rushbrook (Pat) in real life with modern hair and make up. She is way more appealing. 

I will add that while the clothes and styling do them not favors, and I love the Pat and Marek storyline, I find her just a little too plain and frumpy to be matched with Marek. I can't quite understand what her draw for him is. Still, I will let that go because I enjoy the two of them so much. 

And as for why Pat does not leave Bob and why no one helped her at the wedding, domestic violence was considered a private, marital issue between a man and HIS wife. No one talked about it, and certainly no one would do anything that could draw it out in the open or bring attention to it. The women of WI know about Pat's plight, and all they can offer is timid support of her. This is set almost 80 years ago, and attitudes were very different. Up until the 1980s. the concept of marital rapes was unheard of. A man had a "right" to sex with his wife anytime he chose. Her consent or willingness did not matter at all. 

As for Pat leaving Bob, she told Marek she would not be able to support herself beyond a certain level of penury. Women had very limited options for employment then, and a divorced woman would have been viewed as somehow tainted or defective...what did she do to drive her husband away. Also, she told Marek that she would be completely alone. Society back then was much harder for women to navigate without a man.  Hell, my mother got divorced in the early 70s and she was terrified she would lose her right to have access to bank credit. Women could not get credit cards in their own names and unless they were married! That is one reason why women traditionally kept their husband's names after divorce. They had little to no standing in society without a man to "legitimize" them. Women in England only got the right to vote in 1918 - only 20 years before the story's timeline begins. 

So before anyone every starts condemning feminism, especially women, it would behoove them all to take a look at the not so distant history to see the very few rights women actually had.  Sorry, just had to throw that in because it's Monday - and I am always little ornery on Mondays. ;-) 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

So, I am a little late to the game, but that has never stopped me from chiming in before.

Glad you found the show and forum. Note to all: please keep discussion to the events in the series and not the follow-up novellas. If you want to talk about the novellas, feel free to start a thread. Thanks! 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Glad you found the show and forum. Note to all: please keep discussion to the events in the series and not the follow-up novellas. If you want to talk about the novellas, feel free to start a thread. Thanks! 

If only there was some discussion in here.

I've just realized how late to the game I am...not a single post in 5 months. :-( 

On 5/7/2018 at 6:34 AM, Chickabiddy said:

I will add that while the clothes and styling do them not favors, and I love the Pat and Marek storyline, I find her just a little too plain and frumpy to be matched with Marek. I can't quite understand what her draw for him is. Still, I will let that go because I enjoy the two of them so much. 

This bothered me too. Not so much the plain and frumpy, but the sad sack that is Pat. Someone plain and frumpy could be appealing with the right personality.

As a middle-aged woman who's becoming "invisible," I found this very unrealistic. Pat would be "invisible."  

• Love 2

I am just re-watching the DVDs, and enjoying the series all over again.

I love the theme music, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the lyrics are.  All I can catch are the words about "voices in my head".

On a side note, the second book is now available.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2015 at 8:59 AM, Milz said:

I have to read up about the Women's Institute in the UK because I thought they did stuff like make jams, knit socks, etc. Anyhow, I thought it was odd that an obviously rural community would have that kind of snobbery.

It is very definitely not odd in a rural community!

• Love 1

I love this show, and thought the cancellation among vast cliffhangers was every kind of wrong. I could talk and talk about all the characters but maybe this thread is kind of done. I have to say that many of the posts had me howling laughing!!  I agree that barring a particularly nasty and imaginative end for Bob, like smearing him with honey and tying him to an anthill, or something like that, his just being on the business end of that downed plane would have fixed him up good and proper.

I did NOT want Teresa to marry Nick, but feel that she was still hurting over losing Connie and Alison took advantage of that and kept pushing her to be a "normal" person. I don't think Nick is being used because he doesn't love Teresa, he barely knows her, and who knows what his reason is. Also, no one knows whether Teresa would cheat on him, even though she is lesbian. She could just have a "nice, friendly, unfulfilled, NORMAL life." What joy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I love this show, and thought the cancellation among vast cliffhangers was every kind of wrong.

I'm right there with you!  I have seen this happen too often; sometimes the cancellations are so sudden the final season doesn't even end, it just disappears in the middle of all the storylines.  Boo on PBS!

At least this show had two books written afterwards to continue the storylines for us.

1 hour ago, susannah said:

I could talk and talk about all the characters but maybe this thread is kind of done.

I would love to see this thread revived!

• Love 1
On 5/18/2017 at 10:12 PM, dcalley said:

It doesn't seem that strange to me for the period. People didn't always treat children like they do today. I feel like I've seen other WWII shows where well-off people with room to spare took in a child without taking care of the child, often with a servant being the only one who is nice to the poor kid. I think an early Foyle's War had a child who was running around unsupervised and no one cared where he was. And then he tripped an explosion. :(

Not only that but well off people often relied on nannies, governesses and boarding schools to raise their own children, let alone other people's. They thought they were were doing their duty to house and feed the evacuees, and often, that is all they did.

• Love 1
On 5/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, Pallas said:

I have done just that! 

I hope other readers will continue the discussion. I’ve just gotten the third book. If you read reviews, as I started to, beware of spoilers!

• Love 3

I just finished the third book, A Woman’s Courage. I enjoyed all three books. The happy endings were somewhat predictable, but different enough that I appreciated them, and not everyone got the best outcome. I want to visit this village, fictional though it maybe!

• Love 1