Type keyword(s) to search

Home Fires - General Discussion

Milz
  • Start Topic

If this is not renewed, I hope people will write fanfiction and post links. Could start a new thread for them. Creative ways to make BtheBB suffer would be welcome!

• Love 2

The doctor's daughter's soldier friend is very handsome.

If you want to see more of the actor (sorry, I have no idea what his character's name is -- like so many other characters on the show!) he was one of the leads on Bravo's "Imposters." I watched it on on demand. It's a light, con-man caper show, 10 episodes, I think. Perfect for summer watching. The actor's name is Rob Heaps, and he does an excellent American accent. You'd never know he's British. And if you watch TV from the shallow end of the pool, there is gratuitous shirt removal.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

If you want to see more of the actor (sorry, I have no idea what his character's name is -- like so many other characters on the show!) he was one of the leads on Bravo's "Imposters." I watched it on on demand. It's a light, con-man caper show, 10 episodes, I think. Perfect for summer watching. The actor's name is Rob Heaps, and he does an excellent American accent. You'd never know he's British. And if you watch TV from the shallow end of the pool, there is gratuitous shirt removal.

The character's name on Home Fires is AC Tom Halliwell.  Thanks, IMDB!

• Love 1

Just watched the episode again to catch what I missed and Sarah annoyed me. I thought she was being really obtuse about Frances feelings regarding Noah. Yes, it's not Noah's fault he's Peter's son, but he is a visual reminder that Peter cheated. Also imo there is nothing wrong with Frances being unhappy that she had to see Noah when she specifically asked that he not be present. Her whole I'm selling the factory was a over the top reaction, but I hated Sarah's whole I'm so glad I got to see Noah and the last piece of Peter or whatever she said. Sarah just seemed completely tone death to how upset Frances is.

• Love 4

The ones who made me mad were the butcher and his wife.  For months they've been going nearly insane with worry that he was dead, and then he no sooner gets home than they're all angry and disappointed that he can't work in their  bloody butcher  shop.  There are plenty of nice desk jobs in the world, show a little gratitude that your son is alive while others' aren't.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

The ones who made me mad were the butcher and his wife.  For months they've been going nearly insane with worry that he was dead, and then he no sooner gets home than they're all angry and disappointed that he can't work in their  bloody butcher  shop.  There are plenty of nice desk jobs in the world, show a little gratitude that your son is alive while others' aren't.

I didn't get the impression that the mother was disappointed that the son wouldn't be able to work in the shop; to me she seemed upset about the injury, the pain it was causing her son, and how unless David was feeling.  But I agree that the father seemed way to upset about the fact that David wouldn't be able to take over the shop.

• Love 4

My thought was, Why can't David be the butcher shop's accountant and/or general manager? Even with a desk job, he'd still be involved in the shop, and dad could keep the "...and Son" on the window.

Edited by AllAboutMBTV
  • Love 12

I agree with all of those who think most of the couples are mismatched, usually by the man being better looking than the woman, with maybe a few exceptions like Spencer the conscientious objector and his cute, young bride, but the couple that upsets me most is Allison and Boris.  After all she's done for him, even stepping outside the law to pay his vet bills, he still wont get up out of his chair to greet her when she comes home.  He is terribly cute, though.

• Love 7

Okay, back to Mad Dog Bob...when can he die please? I am very worried for Pat, listen, that guy will try to kill her, mark my words, and I agree let's hope he is killed, and soon soon soon. God, I hate him, I agree, he is the worst villain I can remember on Masterpiece in a long time. I adore this show...yeah, it's sort of a soap opera, but it is a great one! Downton Abby was a soap opera and we ate it up like butter! Damn how could they cancel it, well hopefully they will give us closure. 

• Love 3

Has anyone out there read the book this is based on? And if so, how closely do the story lines match? Just wondering if reading that wold provide closure for the shows story lines.

I also have trouble keeping various characters straight, although I do enjoy the show and wish there would be a third season. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

I adore this show...yeah, it's sort of a soap opera, but it is a great one! Downton Abby was a soap opera and we ate it up like butter! Damn how could they cancel it, well hopefully they will give us closure. 

It is odd what shows get renewed.. It seems like the shows I like never get renewed.  I know, I'm in the minority, but I didn't eat up Downton Abby like butter. I liked the early seasons, but after that I just wasn't a fan.  It boggled my mind that it kept getting renewed.

I'm not sure why this show isn't getting more hype; maybe it's just not glamorous enough? Downton had beautiful outfits and the Abbey estate; Home Fires outfits aren't stylish or exactly beautiful and they don't have a big castle either. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, craziness said:

Has anyone out there read the book this is based on? And if so, how closely do the story lines match? Just wondering if reading that wold provide closure for the shows story lines.

I also have trouble keeping various characters straight, although I do enjoy the show and wish there would be a third season. 

I did and posted about it in the original thread. The book was nonfiction about the Women's Institute. The TV series is fiction. There is very little overlap. An ambulance fundraiser appears in both, for example. I also posted in the old thread about how there are new books planned to carry on the stories of the TV characters.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, JudyObscure said:

I agree with all of those who think most of the couples are mismatched, usually by the man being better looking than the woman, with maybe a few exceptions like Spencer the conscientious objector and his cute, young bride.

Miriam and Bryn Brindsley to me also don't look mismatched; I can totally buy that they would be married in real life.

I just realized that a lot of the stories this season have to do with cheating:

• Frances---her husband cheated on her.
  • Pat---is cheating on her husband.
  • Laura---had an affair with a married man.
  • Sarah---would like to cheat on her husband.

And

• Teresa---most likely will get involved with the female pilot while she's still dating Nick.

After typing that out, I think I understand why I enjoyed season 1 more. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, craziness said:

dcalley - thank you. I haven't had a chance to read all of the old thread, but I do recall someone (you?) mentioned future books.

The original book that inspired the series is called "Jambusters: The Story of the Women's Institute in the Second World War" by Julie Summers.  It has been republished as "Homefires" and is a straightforward history, as dcalley said.  I enjoyed it and recommend it but none of the fictional characters are in that book.

One of the writers of the TV series, Bonnier Zaffre, is turning the TV series into novels.  The first novel is called "Keep the Home Fires Burning."  It will be published in ebook form first (beginning in July) and then in paperback later this year.  http://www.savehomefires.com/books

• Love 4
(edited)

Regarding tonight's 04/30/17 episode- do they have names? numbers?

I cried wet tears when I saw all townspeople assembled at Steph's farm to help with the harvest. It reminded me of that great scene in Witness when the little boy rings the bell and the entire Amish community comes to the aid of a farm in danger.

Did the Canadian son spend part of his precious 24 hours helping out with the harvest (if so, I'm sniffling again.)

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Regarding tonight's 04/30/17 episode- do they have names? numbers?

I cried wet tears when I saw all townspeople assembled at Steph's farm to help with the harvest. It reminded me of that great scene in Witness when the little boy rings the bell and the entire Amish community comes to the aid of a farm in danger.

Did the Canadian son spend part of his precious 24 hours helping out with the harvest (if so, I'm sniffing again.)

Yes, the son did help out at the farm.  

I think Nick proposed to Teresa because he thinks there is no hope with Sara(h?)...and Teresa is a smart, attractive woman.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Nick proposed to Teresa because he thinks there is no hope with Sara(h?)...and Teresa is a smart, attractive woman.

...And Teresa said yes to Nick because he is a kind man (emphasis on "kind" not "man"). I just hope he is also an understanding one. I wish that Nick's proposal had included an "I love you". And maybe a little kneeling action.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I'm hoping Nick and Teresa's engagement will only last until the next time she runs into the woman pilot.  I feel so sorry for all concerned in these situations, but Nick is the true innocent here and doesn't deserve to be used this way.

The villainous wife beater Bob has gone right over the top for me and now I can't help but burst out laughing at him when he says things like, "As the wife of a great writer you no longer need to work."  One article gets published and he thinks he's Hemmingway.  I just can't take him seriously anymore and Pat and her dreamy officer are so foolish, having their clandestine romance behind trucks and  bushes, I was afraid the helpful Women's Institute was going to discover them in the corn rows.  You just know Bob will find that necklace.

Boris got off his chair and barked!  Allison is going to need his protection if she keeps telling war criminals that she's on to them.

• Love 5

the couple that upsets me most is Allison and Boris

So, this had me thinking I was going senile.  I couldn't for the life of me remember a man named Boris.   Then another post mentioned vet bills.   Ok then, Boris is the dog.   Good to know I'm not senile yet.

• Love 4

Sarah continues to tick me off; why is she so set on Frances having a relationship with Noah? Yes Noah is Peter's son, but that doesn't mean Frances is obligated to get to know him or interact with him. Also couldn't someone else have taken Noah in? I was thinking why can't you take the boy? 1) you do nothing all day but moon over the Wing Commander and 2) you know how hurtful Noah's presence is to your sister. I know Sarah said she'd offer her home, but it didn't seem to me she had a good reason for not taking Noah in.

Sarah's eye roll at France's "I'll think of him as an evacuee" really annoyed me.  If Frances wants to think of the boy as a evacuee what is wrong with that? Frances point blank told Sarah that she understands Noah is innocent in all of this, but that he represents 11 years of betrayal. Also if selling the factory will help Frances move forward with her life then that is what she should do. Just because she was married to Peter, for however many years, doesn't mean she has to keep the factory running or get to know his son.

Oh and the grandfather was an ass. It wouldn't have hurt him to be a little more gracious, Frances is taking Noah in. It feels like he personally blames Frances for Peter either 1) getting his daughter pregnant or 2) for Peter not leaving Frances and marring his daughter. 

• Love 9
On 4/23/2017 at 10:14 PM, Pickles said:

I was surprised to hear there was no treatment for the butcher's son's wounds on his back. It seems like the butcher's wife should be looking more visibly pregnant. 

Wait, wait....Mim is pregnant!?  When did that happen?  David's Mum, the wife of the butcher?!  I sure missed that along the way!

(edited)
15 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I think that was my favorite scene in the whole series. People just don't help one another like they use to. Most people don't even know who their neighbors are let alone are willing to help out like the community did with Steph.  I can just see it if Steph lived today she would post on Facebook "Struggling to get the Harvest in" and the people would "Like" her post or "Post sad faces". Nobody would just show up to help like they did in this episode. I'm sure there are still people out there that would help like the community did, but it's very rare these days. imo

8 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm hoping Nick and Teresa's engagement will only last until the next time she runs into the woman pilot.  I feel so sorry for all concerned in these situations, but Nick is the true innocent here and doesn't deserve to be used this way.

I agree with you while I do feel sorry for Teresa for having to hide who she really is; it's Nick who I really feel sorry for: he's a nice, good looking successful, innocent guy who doesn't deserve to be used as Teresa's beard. He also deserves way better than Sarah-- I do not see why he's supposedly in love with her of all people. 

Regarding the Female Pilot: I'm a bit annoyed that they made her a lesbian it's such a stereotype/cliché that the woman who works in a male dominated field is a lesbian. Yes Teresa works as a teacher and is a lesbian, but the Woman Pilot is the only woman we've seen who is working outside the norm for a woman at that time. 

ETA:

When Marek & Pat were talking and Marek said if I can't talk to your husband then what can we do? I was thinking you could idk kill Bob. yeah I'm horrible.

Jenny certainly has a high opinion of herself. She obviously thinks the Wing Commander should be dating her.  I laughed that it was all Nick could do to not roll his eyes at Jenny.

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dustoffmom said:

Wait, wait....Mim is pregnant!?  When did that happen?  David's Mum, the wife of the butcher?!  I sure missed that along the way!

They discovered that Miriam was pregnant at the end of last season.

• Love 2

Well then I am having a senior  moment as I watched every episode last season and if I realized it then it has flown right out of my head!  ;)  Thanks for reminding me that I, actually, did know that.  LOL

Well then I am having a senior  moment as I watched every episode last season and if I realized it then it has flown right out of my head!  ;)  Thanks for reminding me that I, actually, did know that.  LOL

There are a lot of stories to keep track of here, regardless of one's age.

I was afraid the helpful Women's Institute was going to discover them in the corn rows. 

Love this! What a visual!

• Love 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, dustoffmom said:

Here's a recap of season 1 episode 6 that talks about when Miriam finds out she's pregnant.

Now for the Brindsley family. Miriam has been suffering exhaustion and had detailed tests with Dr. Campbell. As they wait for the results, a government official delivers a telegram which she is convinced contains news of David’s death. Fear keeps her from opening it, but Bryn (Daniel Ryan) gently convinces her that they need to know. When they open it, they read that David is reported as missing. Encouragingly, Miriam plucks up and says that there’s still hope that he’s alive. And Miriam’s follow-up visit with Dr. Campbell gives them cause for even more hope – she’s four months pregnant! What a fitting time for such a thing to befall this couple. This new child will undoubtedly help them face the days ahead.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

Mim sure looked pregnant last night!

I agree:  

Nick is being used, and doesn't deserve it.   

Frances is doing a lot just taking in her husband's son....why does Sarah feel her sister should have warm fuzzy feelings for him?

• Love 5
(edited)
59 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Frances is doing a lot just taking in her husband's son....why does Sarah feel her sister should have warm fuzzy feelings for him?

I honestly do not understand Sarah. It feels like she's Noah's advocate or something. She bound and determined that Frances will acknowledge Noah as Peter's son and have a warm fuzzy relationship with him. I don't understand it; is it because secretly Sarah always wanted to be an aunt or that deep down she wanted to have kids and Noah fulfills that void? Sarah just seems so happy that Noah is a little version of Peter. It's so weird.

Also I agree with whoever said that Noah doesn't look 11.

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

I honestly do not understand Sarah. It feels like she's Noah's advocate or something. She bound and determined that Frances will acknowledge Noah as Peter's son and have a warm fuzzy relationship with him. I don't understand it; is it because secretly Sarah always wanted to be an aunt or that deep down she wanted to have kids and Noah fulfills that void? Sarah just seems so happy that Noah is a little version of Peter. It's so weird.

Also I agree with whoever said that Noah doesn't look 11.

I understand Sarah. Frances is usually a very magnanimous women.  She's head of the WI.   Isabelle is living in her house.  I think what Sarah is trying to get Frances to understand is that Frances and Noah are BOTH innocents.  Frances was betrayed by Peter and Helen.  Noah had no say in to whom he was born or the circumstances to which he was born, and like it or not, Frances is the adult here. Noah is the child, who has done nothing to her. Peter and Helen did something to her, and Frances is so hell-bent on being angry that she is taking it out on Noah. If she wants to be angry, be angry at Helen and Peter.  Since they're dead, I don't think that Frances feels that that's good enough.  She wants someone to pay, and I'm sorry that that can't be Peter and Helen because that is who should pay, but life isn't fair.  As hurt and jilted as Frances feels, she is a woman of society and a woman of means.  She is fully capable of making a life for herself beyond Peter.  Noah is not.  He is not an adult, and he has lost both parents, no matter what their flaws were.  Frances is coming across as vengeful.  Someone who literally wants Noah to cease to exist because she has been hurt. I can empathize with those feelings toward Helen or Peter, but not toward a child. Not a good look for Frances.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I think what Sarah is trying to get Frances to understand is that Frances and Noah are BOTH innocents.  Frances was betrayed by Peter and Helen.  Noah had no say in to whom he was born or the circumstances to which he was born, and like it or not, Frances is the adult here. Noah is the child, who has done nothing to her. Peter and Helen did something to her, and Frances is so hell-bent on being angry that she is taking it out on Noah. If she wants to be angry, be angry at Helen and Peter.  Since they're dead, I don't think that Frances feels that that's good enough.  She wants someone to pay, and I'm sorry that that can't be Peter and Helen because that is who should pay, but life isn't fair.  As hurt and jilted as Frances feels, she is a woman of society and a woman of means.  She is fully capable of making a life for herself beyond Peter.  Noah is not.  He is not an adult, and he has lost both parents, no matter what their flaws were.  Frances is coming across as vengeful.  Someone who literally wants Noah to cease to exist because she has been hurt. I can emphasize with those feelings toward Helen or Peter, but not toward a child. Not a good look for Frances.

I'm honestly not being argumentative, but how is Frances taking it out on Noah? If she sells the factory Noah will still have his shares and if she had been successful at buying the 20% Noah would have gotten the money. (I got the impression that the amount she offered for the 20% was very generous)  Yes, she isn't friendly to Noah and wants nothing to do with him, but has she been mean to him or said something to him that was unkind that I missed? 

The thing that is frustrating for me with Sarah is she seems to forget that Frances was innocent too; I think it was last episode that Frances had to remind Sarah that Noah wasn't the only innocent in the whole affair. Frances has said she knows that Noah isn't at fault, but for her he still represents 11 years of betrayal. Sarah seems incapable of understanding why Frances doesn't want a relationship with the child or doesn't want to be tied to him through the factory for the rest of her life. 

I just do not understand why it's sooo important to Sarah that Frances has a relationship with Noah. Maybe if Sarah would shut up and let Frances feel however she wants without judgement maybe she would come around to the idea of having a relationship with Noah.

• Love 12

last night's episode and next week's seems jammed up  and forced.  to me, it feels as if there were be different conclusions to the stories if the writers had more than 2 episodes left.  very frustrating. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Fireball, I don't think that you're being argumentative.  I love a good conversation.

The thing that is frustrating for me with Sarah is she seems to forget that Frances was innocent too; I think it was last episode that Frances had to remind Sarah that Noah wasn't the only innocent in the whole affair. Frances has said she knows that Noah isn't at fault, but for her he still represents 11 years of betrayal. Sarah seems incapable of understanding why Frances doesn't want a relationship with the child or doesn't want to be tied to him through the factory for the rest of her life. 

I think the sale of the factory is ridiculous on Frances' part.  She said it herself.  She's doing it to get away from Noah.  She is threatened by a child, a child who can't hurt her in terms of business because he only holds 20% of the company.  She still holds the majority share and will unless she decides to do otherwise.  Noah is not an adult.  He certainly doesn't work there, so there is no reason for Frances to sell the factory.

You said it yourself in your quote. Noah REPRESENTS 11 years of betrayal, but Peter is the one who did the betraying. Trust me, I'm a big believer in payback, and if this were Peter, he would be groveling for a very long time, but Peter is dead.  He can't pay any more than he has.

I'm not saying that Frances should want a warm and cuddly relationship with Noah, and if Frances wants to sell the business, then sell it.  But it's coming across as "I'm so threatened by this child and I'm so pissed off at my philandering husband that I'm going to show him!  I'm going to sell the business.  So there!"  I think Frances is utterly enraged by Peter that she wants payback at all costs, but she is unwilling to direct her rage where it really belongs---at Peter, and she's willing to part with a business just to separate herself from an 11-year old child.  She can't even say his name half the time. I get it.  Frances is pissed, and she wants to punish Peter, but he's dead.

Let's say that Noah was the product of Peter's first marriage, and he had a wife who died before he met Frances.  What if he left the same 20% in his will then?  Would it be realistic to be upset at Noah because his father died in a car crash?  Of course not. He did not cause the crash anymore than he asked to be conceived. Yes, Frances was wronged, but it is HER problem if she chooses to place her rage and anger toward Noah.  No, I don't expect her to raise him, but I do expect her to be able to say his name without looking like she's going to spit venom.  She is coming across as combative and aggressive.  If this was a divorce court against Peter, I'd be among the first to say "Game on, Frances," but I don't agree with her current behavior toward a child who was incapable of making an active choice to hurt her.  Yes, it sucks, but Frances is the adult here.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

I doubt Pat's husband was killed. The plane crashed into the doctor's house, so I would guess the people inside the house were the ones killed or injured. We did hear the baby cry.

• Love 2

TV series that are not certain of renewal shouldn't leave things unresolved and on cliffhangers.  It's unfair to and inconsiderate of their audience.  I am sorry I ever wasted time on this show.

And the wife abuser is of course okay. Bleh.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, magdalene said:

TV series that are not certain of renewal shouldn't leave things unresolved and on cliffhangers.  It's unfair to and inconsiderate of their audience.  I am sorry I ever wasted time on this show.

And the wife abuser is of course okay. Bleh.

It's like someone tore the final chapters out of a book I was reading.

• Love 8

I think when this show started here in the US it was already known that the show wasn't going to continue - they should never have shown this in the first place.

I don't know why I kept watching it, knowing we would have some kind of ending like this....ug....

• Love 1
(edited)

welllll... the books won't tell you - apparently it was more historical, and these fictionalized characters were not in them.

Even though we knew it was not renewed past 2 series, I had so hoped we might get a better ending than this. And i hadn't realized it was the doc's house - and that cry was was THE baby,  as in - David's new sibling.

Grim, indeed.  and so disappointing, i actually had really come to love these characters and so wanted to get to see what happens to them all throughout the war. sigh

Edited by CathyS
  • Love 5

I was so wanting Pat to punch Bob. Seeing his passive aggressive behavior makes me so angry. Was that the last episode, with the plane crashing?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CathyS said:

welllll... the books won't tell you - apparently it was more historical, and these fictionalized characters were not in them.

Even though we knew it was not renewed past 2 series, I had so hoped we might get a better ending than this. And i hadn't realized it was the doc's house - and that cry was was THE baby,  as in - David's new sibling.

Grim, indeed.  and so disappointing, i actually had really come to love these characters and so wanted to get to see what happens to them all throughout the war. sigh

Simon Block, the creator of this show, is writing 3 books that continue the stories of all the characters.   Radio Times (on May 1, 2017) published an article/interview with Block with details.  Also, from an earlier interview in Radio Times:

Chief among many of the fans’ concerns is the gaping cliffhanger at the end of last Sunday’s series finale. The (now final) episode saw a fighter plane crash into the house of butcher Bryn Brindsley as his wife was in labour with no indication of who survived and who perished.

• Love 5